strider470

Luna Rossa Challenge. AC 36

12 hours ago, mako23 said:

What boat would you like to cross the Atlantic with ?

I think we will see skegs a-la AC75 in the IMOCA class sooner rather later in the next couple of generations.

One on the right. At least there's a roof of some kind.

2 hours ago, Priscilla said:

Considering the AC75 batteries would be well flat before you cleared the coast the Mayflower would be my ride.

I dunno, most trans atlantic crossings are probably one or two very long runs for 90% of those 4 days.

I doubt they would be tacking very often and it's not like they are going to be bumping into the bouundaries of the Atlantic in a hurry...

I wasn't implying the actual AC75 though of course, more something similar, outfitted appropriately to carry it's small crew across.

10 hours ago, Lakrass said:

Negotiations between S&S and Russians about a AC75 design package ongoing...

Please refresh your Geo-political general knowledge.

Antanov are a Ukranian outfit, and whilst once upon a time the Ukraine was part of the Soviet Union (USSR/CCCP) and I am sure that the impetus and funding for these weird aircraft was initiated by Moscow, it very much is no more. Look at how Russia/Putin Annexed the Crimean Peninsular for a clue as to how close the 2 countries are not these days.

Not exactly best buddies anymore. 

Despite the best efforts by Trump/Fox News; facts matter.......

The Viaduct’s about to get fucking exciting

... and noisier :D

Has Max been putting on weight?

In an interview today with Gazzetta dello sport, max confirmed the current target date for boat 2 launch is october 20th.

Another veeeeeery interesting answer was about the speed. He was much more explicit than what I thought it would. He said that he saw the kiwi in the last outings and did not come back crying (i.e. speed not very different from them) and he said about the other teams "I am happy where we are, angles are hard to compare precisely, but I think i can see when a boat is much faster or slower. Than we will have answers when we cross at the start line".

I think he intended that Other 2 boats are slower

Interview in italian

• Like 4

Thanks. Really, too bad it’s in Italian. PB spoke mostly, laid out a very clear vision.

Tidbits:

- max speed so far, slightly less than 49 kts

- due to quarantine, this time around the new boat won’t be christened by Miuccia Prada, but by Max’s wife

- most mportantly, I believe the boat in Max’s background is B2. If that is correct, it shows a more marked chine

• Like 5

... - and, unlike AM, B1 will be kept in sailing condition

• Like 3

8 hours ago, 17mika said:

In an interview today with Gazzetta dello sport, max confirmed the current target date for boat 2 launch is october 20th.

Another veeeeeery interesting answer was about the speed. He was much more explicit than what I thought it would. He said that he saw the kiwi in the last outings and did not come back crying (i.e. speed not very different from them) and he said about the other teams "I am happy where we are, angles are hard to compare precisely, but I think i can see when a boat is much faster or slower. Than we will have answers when we cross at the start line".

I think he intended that Other 2 boats are slower

Interview in italian

7 hours ago, Xlot said:

Thanks. Really, too bad it’s in Italian. PB spoke mostly, laid out a very clear vision.

Tidbits:

- max speed so far, slightly less than 49 kts

- due to quarantine, this time around the new boat won’t be christened by Miuccia Prada, but by Max’s wife

- most mportantly, I believe the boat in Max’s background is B2. If that is correct, it shows a more marked chine

Looks like MS is quite far aft next to B2. If so, what is that black thing suspended in the air? The deck under the mainsail hanging for internal work to happen underneath? 

Thank you @Priscilla now I can see.

Is that the front he is sitting by? I am guessing the front.

Yes and slightly sharper chines.

• Downvote 1

2 minutes ago, Kiwing said:

Is that the front he is sitting by? I am guessing the front.

I think you'll find its the back starboard side

• Like 5

Hi fellow Anarchists !

Here's another interview by sailor / journalist Bacci del Buono with Francesco "Checco" Bruni, helmsman of Luna Rossa. I'll only report what they say. Enjoy ! 

https://www.milanoyachtingweek.com/events/francesco-bruni-intervista/

- He's been raised in a family with strong sailing tradition. He's father sailed against Mauro Pelaschier, and now he's sailing on the dinghy. He jokes that he won against him almost all the time. Checco run with his brother Marco and others a sail making enterprise in Palermo, Veleria Doyle Sails Italia which is doing very well specially in the Maxi Circuit. He has another brother Gabriele, who's doing very well in the Olympics. Checco's son is a windsurfer, and asked how he fares on windsurf, Checco jokes that he returned ashore quite all the time. 

- Asked about how he started sailing the moths he says that he started a couple of years after SF Cup, because Chris Draper (that was LR helmsman during that Cup) sailed on it. He says that it'a real funny but also very "sensible" boat. 

- Moths are the "school boat" for foiling. Sailing them helped him with the catamarans but specially with the AC75. There are obviously differences between moths and AC75, but the "basic rules" are the same, so what he learn with one of them is useful on the other one. He adds that - with the exception of Ben Ainslie - every helmsman and every mainsail trimmer of this Cup started sailing moths (Jimmy Spithill included). He make some other example: Goodison (Am trimmer), Barker, and Burling and Tuke, that are moth champions, and Glen Ashby. 

- Bruni really likes AC75. He thinks that it's a radical boat,  state of the art in foiling. The design is incredibly advanced, aerodynamics is vital. He says that it was a leap of faith, because it was a completely new design, based only on computer models. Performances and maneuverability are outstanding, so he can guarantee that AC75 are great boats, he can't guarantee that we'll see great regattas. He adds that  to have a great race you need boats with similar performances, with a lot of overtakings. If a boat wins with 4 minutes lead, it's a victory of the entire team,  of the sailing team and design team, but the viewers could miss some of the show. 

- First  day on the AC75 he thought that it was a giant moth. As he said before, some dynamics are of course different, ma the basic rules were the same. He adds that you have to repsect this kind of boat, because when you are sailing at 40/50 knots you have to stay focused on what you are doing. 

- Answering the question about why LR signed two "superstars" helmsmen,  he start answering that JS has a better curriculum then himself, he won a lot and he's a great partner to share this Cup with.  He keeps learning from him, and he jokes that he hope that Jimmy also is learning from him. From the start they saw that it was possible to keep them both at the helm, switching the helmsman / foil controller role. So when JS is at the helm, Bruni is controlling the foils, and vice versa. Since now, this is the best configuration. They have other configurations, but the double helm/double foil controller one is the best right now. JS is the starboard helmsman, Bruni the port helmsman. He adds that however it's not sure that they will adopt this configuration in the first regatta, things could change. 

-  Asked about the role of the tactitian, he says that all the teams are in the same situation. 8/11 of the people onboard have to produce energy, or the sails/foil arms ain't moving. They have to decide who will make the calls, probably the mainsail trimmer and some of the windward crew (2/3 at the most). He adds the nobody will have a tactitian doing only tactics onboard. It's possible that someone will have a grinder making the tactics. Some teams will have the helmsman doing also the tactitian, he jokes that if you can do it on Lasers, you can do it on AC75 too. 

- Some of LR B2 improvements will be visible, others more hidden. 

- Asked about LR competitors, he thinks that AM will have a B2 really differnt from B1. Defiant is a strange boat, he thinks that American Magic decided to have B1 as soon as possible, so they could sail more - and he adds that they sailed more than everyone else, specially in the first period - but doing this they had less time for the designing of  B1. He thinks that also Ineos B2 will be very different from B1, while he doesn't know what ETNZ will do with B2. 

• Like 10

34 minutes ago, Zaal said:

He thinks that also Ineos B2 will be very different from B1, while he doesn't know what ETNZ will do with B2. 

Much like the rest of us then?

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Zaal said:

They have other configurations, but the double helm/double foil controller one is the best right now. JS is the starboard helmsman, Bruni the port helmsman. He adds that however it's not sure that they will adopt this configuration in the first regatta, things could change

They must have made allowance for the swap of sides in b2. A serious design choice I would think.

Has anyone seen footage of any LR crew swapping sides after a turn?  Even if not the helm.  There is an RM advantage to be gained with having more crew windward.

I think anyone will be swapping side on Luna Rossa. Probably the main goal of the double helmsmen configuration is to reduce windage. I also noticed- but feel free to prove me wrong- that in AM and ETNZ videos boats get “lower” on the foils and sometimes touch the water during tacks and gybes when the helmsman is swapping side. Maybe they want to avoid this too. 

1 hour ago, buckdouger said:

image.thumb.png.a504a7176db874eda48d1a53619b409e.png

Interesting given the restrictions on flap size how that might work? 

@The_Alchemist

The cheese balls look wonderful, but you may want to hide your bank bits.

Edit: the cruise looks great,but isn't that what they used to call steerage?

6 hours ago, The_Alchemist said:

What a fckg idiot I am....  It looks like a moderator deleted it.

Easy mistake, Apple decides it grabs all your desktops and cats them. 

And folk think there are no adults looking after us here ;)

• Like 1

7 hours ago, The_Alchemist said:

What a fckg idiot I am....  It looks like a moderator deleted it.

Hey hey it’s ETNZ supporters job to abuse you. If you start doing it ...what will be left for us to do.

:rolleyes:

• Like 1
  • Downvote 1

Hi fellow Anarchists! 

Back again with another interview by sailor and journalist Bacci del Buono with Vasco Vascotto, LR tactitian / sail development manager.

https://www.milanoyachtingweek.com/events/silenzio-parla-vasco-vascotto-il-tattico-di-luna-rossa/

- He's really grateful to the design team and persico to deliver B2 right on schedule. He's exact word are thank you for delivering B2 after a great B1. 

- Asked if LR B1  was so good to "copied" by other teams, he answer that you can never know until two boats sail 1 vs 1, but they are very satisfied of B1. He adds that to design and put in the water a boat with such a radical design you need to have "pallometria", a fake italian world invented by ship owner Pasquale Landolfi that means being brave. Vasco says also that if you want to win the Cup you have to be very brave, no middle ways. If you think something works, you have the courage to believe in your idea and follow it no matter what.

- Asked about the dismasting, Vasco answer that in order to win you have to outperform your opponent. B1 was so optimized for performance that the structure wasn't overweight with an inch of extra carbon, so breaks could accour. He adds that he's manager in the sails design group, and he always tells to his colleagues that there'a time for pushing design with radical ideas, a time for trying to make those radical ideas working, and then a time for slowing down, and taking stock of the situation. This philosophy is applied in every other department in Luna Rossa. You have to push design and radical ideas at the beginning of the campaign, not at the end, if you do it at the end it means that something went wrong in the first stages of design. So they pushed on radical ideas at the beginning. 

- He won't be on-board. Boats are extreme and need a lot of power, they are fast and you have the boundaries to deal with. Tactics will be made before the start of the race. The only vital thing for him is help the team winning the Cup, no matter  if he's  staying on or off the boat. Asked by Bacci how he felt when heunderstood that he wasn't staying onboard, he says that he was a little upset, since he was used to 250 days of sailing per year, and now it's two years and half that he's doing almost zero days of sailing. You need to have a great motivation to accept this, and now it's even more important for him to win. He would be proud taking a decision that can improve the boat performance. 

-  He talks really well about LR young sailors. Being so experienced, he helps them and gives advice. He says that they are great sailors and great persons, humble and with great  work culture. They gave to the rest of the team a lot of their enthusiasm. He keep telling them not to be "afraid" of sailing the America's Cup against the best sailors in the world. He quotes Gianmarco Pozzecco (italian basket coach and former basket player) that in a recent interview said that he didn't care if he was playing against friends in Trieste  or in the final of the Euro Ligue, he played every game at his best. Vasco says that you don't be afraid of loosing the race. If you're not afraid of loosing it, you' re not afraid to win it. They just need to keep doing what they did the last two years and half. 

- The main goal in the pre-start will be keep flying, possibly leaving the opponent fall from the foils. 

- Time distance from boundary to boundary is one minute circa.

- They're studying the best tactics to use against opponents, they will focus on this from now on. Philippe Presti (with JS) and the simulator are helping a lot in this. 

- Some of the differences between B1 and B2 will be visible, they kept pushing with radical design idea. 

- If other teams "copied" LR design they'll have a lot of difficulties, because you need to understand a design on order to "copy" it properly. Ha adds joking that he hopes they "copied" without undertanding. 

• Like 10

Regardless of anything that PB has done, I am liking the LR team more as time goes on. 

In general, it is kind of sad how actions by individuals at or near the top of a team can generate so much negative emotion that the team below ends up dealing with.   

1 hour ago, P Flados said:

Regardless of anything that PB has done, I am liking the LR team more as time goes on. 

In general, it is kind of sad how actions by individuals at or near the top of a team can generate so much negative emotion that the team below ends up dealing with.   

What negative emotions?I haven't seen any negative attitudes towards LR. Perhaps they are just your own and come from being a LLLLED.

PB's approach to the AC72 was half effort that helped ETNZ more than anything else.  Teaming up with ETNZ seemed to be more about his chance to be the COR if ETNZ won than anything else.

LR started off the next round much better.  They were in real good shape to be a strong player all on their own.  Then PB decided to pull out and help ETNZ instead of trying to beat Oracle on the water himself.   

Now it is easy to see how a DDD would have a favorable view of someone who has done so much to help ETNZ.  Others might see things differently.

Oh, in the previous post I forgot to mention how many time I saw a DDD try to blame PB for any unfairness with respect to how other challengers were treated.  

Yup spoken like a true LLLLED.

You are making a pretty good case for SDs stand-in.

• Like 1

And think about your activity.  Obsession?   Stalking?   DDD Denial?

Oh, and I missed the details of being a LLLLED.  I am sure you will enlighten us eventually.

2 hours ago, P Flados said:

PB's approach to the AC72 was half effort that helped ETNZ more than anything else.  Teaming up with ETNZ seemed to be more about his chance to be the COR if ETNZ won than anything else.

LR started off the next round much better.  They were in real good shape to be a strong player all on their own.  Then PB decided to pull out and help ETNZ instead of trying to beat Oracle on the water himself.   

Now it is easy to see how a DDD would have a favorable view of someone who has done so much to help ETNZ.  Others might see things differently.

I agree with your point regarding LR in 2013. But it was pretty obvious the whole time. Both teams knew LR were never a genuine threat to ETNZ. One of their big motives was to provide as much help to ETNZ as the rules would allow to ensure Oracle wouldn’t win.

In 2017, Oracle screwed around with the protocol and class rule at a late stage. They also took advantage of PBs good faith after he waived the teams veto rights as CoR and then outvoted LR thanks to their beholden majority. As CoR this time there is no way he is giving up his CoR rights the DoG provides him. 
Bertelli has been taken advantage of once. He isn’t going to be fooled twice. 
Oracle got caught cheating and infringing the spying rule in 2013. In 2017 they were in breach of contract and were forced to compensate ETNZ. Then they tried to sign a framework agreement that was shot down by ETNZ because it was not what the DoG intended. Oracle lost and is now dead. That brand, that team got what it deserved.

• Like 2

shhh guys or Jalhazmat will tell you off.........:D

Or put this were all this belongs....... the Ineos thread

14 hours ago, P Flados said:

Oh, in the previous post I forgot to mention how many time I saw a DDD try to blame PB for any unfairness with respect to how other challengers were treated.  

Last time I looked LR was the CoR. The C in CoR stands for Challenger. The CoR is the representative of the non-DoG challengers. ETNZ has no reason to treat these challengers in a fair or unfair way at all; the only challenger that matters for ETNZ is LR. 

Therefore, if the non-DoG challengers feel that they are treated unfairly, complain to LR, please. 

• Like 5

32 minutes ago, Rennmaus said:

Last time I looked LR was the CoR. The C in CoR stands for Challenger. The CoR is the representative of the non-DoG challengers. ETNZ has no reason to treat these challengers in a fair or unfair way at all; the only challenger that matters for ETNZ is LR. 

Therefore, if the non-DoG challengers feel that they are treated unfairly, complain to LR, please. 

Laectio magistralis by Doktor Rennie :D 

• Like 3

What I found really interesting about Ineos is that they have a boom on B2. So apparently every team will have s keel / bustle ( Ineos has both) but only LR will be boomless (I assume that LR will stick on their philosophy, crew not switching side and boomless). Every boat is a system composed by hull shape, sails, foils and sailing mode. I think Vascotto is right. You can copy LR hull design (just like AM did) but that hull probably works with a certain sails/foils configuration, and Spithill / Bruni at the helm, with a specific sailing philosophy (low and overheeling?). Will it work with a different sails/foils/sailing configuration ? What do you think mates? And I ask your opinion on another matter : is the boomless option maybe possible only for not switching side crew? ETNZ, AM, Ineos, all with one helmsman, all with the boom. Luna Rossa, double helmsman, (probably) boomless.

Can't wait to see LR B2 anyway.

PS : I hope to deliver as soon as possible the Max Sirena / Bertelli interview :) 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, enigmatically2 said:

Don't know but I have been wondering whether Ben and Giles will now split helming on RB2

It's possible, but I recall Bruni recently saying that the double helm configuration is not something other teams can copy easily. Apparently it require a lot of training, I don't know if another team can efficiently perform it right now. Maybe ETNZ, that has more time. 

1 hour ago, Zaal said:

What I found really interesting about Ineos is that they have a boom on B2. So apparently every team will have s keel / bustle ( Ineos has both) but only LR will be boomless (I assume that LR will stick on their philosophy, crew not switching side and boomless). Every boat is a system composed by hull shape, sails, foils and sailing mode. I think Vascotto is right. You can copy LR hull design (just like AM did) but that hull probably works with a certain sails/foils configuration, and Spithill / Bruni at the helm, with a specific sailing philosophy (low and overheeling?). Will it work with a different sails/foils/sailing configuration ? What do you think mates? And I ask your opinion on another matter : is the boomless option maybe possible only for not switching side crew? ETNZ, AM, Ineos, all with one helmsman, all with the boom. Luna Rossa, double helmsman, (probably) boomless.

Can't wait to see LR B2 anyway.

PS : I hope to deliver as soon as possible the Max Sirena / Bertelli interview :)

It would be a major failure for LR to switch away from their boomless system.  When B1 was launched, they bragged about how advanced it was and that it took up about half of the boat development costs.

Most of the crew on the other boats do not move or switch sides.  The thing that is unique about LR is that they use two helmsman, one on each side.

1 hour ago, The_Alchemist said:

It would be a major failure for LR to switch away from their boomless system.

Still, it is interesting that Ineos - whose boomless main looked pretty good, have switched to a boom. They wouldn't have done that lightly. They must think they can shape the lower section of the main better with a boom, than without.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Horn Rock said:

Still, it is interesting that Ineos - whose boomless main looked pretty good, have switched to a boom. They wouldn't have done that lightly. They must think they can shape the lower section of the main better with a boom, than without.

Maybe for individual control of outhaul on each skin, for camber shape?  Don't know how they controlled it without a boom...

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, MaxHugen said:

Maybe for individual control of outhaul on each skin, for camber shape?

I think you can do all that without a boom as LR have demonstrated. It's just easier to do it with a boom. I'm struggling to see the advantages of going boomless.

7 minutes ago, MaxHugen said:

Don't know how they controlled it without a boom...

LR have got some hidden system below deck shaping the main. Ineos have obviously decided it's easier just to use a boom. Italians love their complex engineering.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, MaxHugen said:

Maybe for individual control of outhaul on each skin, for camber shape?  Don't know how they controlled it without a boom...

It's different, revolutionairy, the twin sails gives room to controled battens, in both sails,  and internal profiles that may or may not work.
It's really  innovative that might be a quantum leap forward. And no booms,.. Internal booms are possible as well.
Great, I love this cup more than the previous ones for their innovations.
Including e-boats that makes things possible that otherwise would be impossible.

I am very curious about how the helm switch works. I would think the main advantage is not aero but a combination of safety and not having to hand off helming 2x for each tack/jibe (hand off to the temporary helmsman and then hand off back to the primary helmsman). And I guess also there is less switching of other roles, because the temporary helm doesn't have to stop doing what they were doing before and start doing it again. But so, do the old helm and old foil controller do those things through the tack and then switch? I would think that would be the best, and then switch when the tack is done, and the new helm and the new foil controller have the chance to get settled before some big maneuver.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, nroose said:

... I would think that would be the best, and then switch when the tack is done, and the new helm and the new foil controller have the chance to get settled before some big maneuver.

They'd be knackerd after a few tacks in a tacking duel - I know, they said the same thing about the AC50s but they still managed to duel in a couple of the races.

1 hour ago, Indio said:

They'd be knackerd after a few tacks in a tacking duel - I know, they said the same thing about the AC50s but they still managed to duel in a couple of the races.

I guess not switching would be better in a tacking duel anyway.

from LR Facebook page.   3 hrs ago.

48hrs until B2 rolls out the shed. Set your countdown for 20 October at 10am GMT +13

#LunaRossaPradaPirelli

Prada Pirelli

• Like 1

16 hours ago, enigmatically2 said:

Don't know but I have been wondering whether Ben and Giles will now split helming on RB2

Hard on Ben's ego, I think not.

15 hours ago, The_Alchemist said:

Most of the crew on the other boats do not move or switch sides.  The thing that is unique about LR is that they use two helmsman, one on each side.

??? Like, which crew? The grinders running across? Only the helm, trim, and FC switch. Don't really get your point except, yes, LR use two helms.

5 hours ago, The_Alchemist said:

image.png.aca5ac583e93a0cbfe1aa4da97ea1c3b.png

Adding unnecessary weight, but looks good. 

46 minutes ago, terrafirma said:

Not long now until B2 is released..! 

This will be the best AC week ever!!! 3 crazed design dreams from electric sheep and heaps of $$$$$$$.

Next we get a pretend race, but this show down ho down is like no other!

• Like 2

Ferrari Red just what the doctor ordered. B1 is a black based boat I wonder if they are changing the look with B2? It looks like way more red so far in the pic above?

• Like 1

17 hours ago, The_Alchemist said:

The thing that is unique about LR is that they use two helmsman, one on each side.

Hope Spitty is up on his Italian swearing when things get heated in the midst of fending off Sir Ben and the calls start coming in pidgin English-Italian :D

It’ll be very interesting to see how they go with 2 helms in a close quarters (as close as these things will get) battle. Chance of a cock up increase?

2 hours ago, Varan said:

Adding unnecessary weight, but looks good. 

Style, style, style. What's not to love about the Italians :wub:

Edit, from my inbox:

Follow on Instagram the Luna Rossa AC75 - Boat 2 christening ceremony LIVE from Auckland (NZ).

October 20th ~ 10.15 NZDT (New Zealand Time)

October 19th ~ 23.15 CEST

• Like 1

8 hours ago, barfy said:

??? Like, which crew? The grinders running across? Only the helm, trim, and FC switch. Don't really get your point except, yes, LR use two helms.

I was responding to Zal, who sounded like he thought LR was the only one that didn’t have crew switch sides because of there design.  I was just pointing out what you are saying, maybe not so eloquently.  

11 hours ago, Indio said:

Hope Spitty is up on his Italian swearing when things get heated in the midst of fending off Sir Ben and the calls start coming in pidgin English-Italian :D

Hey, hey Englishaman, you cannnanotta park youra tractor inna mya space.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Rennmaus said:

Edit, from my inbox:

Follow on Instagram the Luna Rossa AC75 - Boat 2 christening ceremony LIVE from Auckland (NZ).

Not sure those times are correct October 20th ~ 10.15 NZDT  is October 19th ~ 21.15 CEST, 20:15 BST, 21:15 GMT by my calculations, and my computers confirm. We are in this weird timezone period where NZ has gone to summertime, but Europe is also still on summertime. Easy mistake to make.

Main point is check on the day, don't want to turn up 2 hours late. 

To be clear I'm sure  Rennmaus didn't make the mistake.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, laser 173312 said:

Not sure those times are correct October 20th ~ 10.15 NZDT  is October 19th ~ 21.15 CEST, 20:15 BST, 21:15 GMT by my calculations, and my computers confirm. We are in this weird timezone period where NZ has gone to summertime, but Europe is also still on summertime. Easy mistake to make.

Right, NZ is 11 hours "further down the day" than central EU, not 13.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Rennmaus said:

Edit, from my inbox:

Just to confirm:

image.png

• Like 1

6 hours ago, The_Alchemist said:

I was responding to Zal, who sounded like he thought LR was the only one that didn’t have crew switch sides because of there design.  I was just pointing out what you are saying, maybe not so eloquently.  

Yes, I think they designed B2 thinking to sail it with the double helm/foil controller configuration. And it’s interesting to see that Ineos B2 has a boom, maybe the boomless option works better with the double helm configuration. For now that’s all speculation of course, I’m so curious to see LR B2. So far what I noticed is that the switch is a very crucial moment, this boats seems even more sensibile than AC50. Not switching is better for windage and for safety, imagine running from side to side every time in a tacking duel at 40 knots, not easy and there’s a lot of seconds with the boat not in the helmsman control, and this boats are so sensible. I’ m just guessing, maybe they have other reasons for doing it. 

13 hours ago, The Main Man said:

It’ll be very interesting to see how they go with 2 helms in a close quarters (as close as these things will get) battle. Chance of a cock up increase?

How would it increase? Seems easier to not have to run across the boat...

12 hours ago, laser 173312 said:

To be clear I'm sure  Rennmaus didn't make the mistake.

Oops, I got it wrong, didn't take the day into consideration 10:15 NZDT Tuesday is 23:15 Monday CEST, and 22:15 Monday BST. Must of been the beer last night, Sorry

Sirena is either a very cunning smack-talker or he's very naive about the need to be diplomatic and circumspect about criticising their opponents' AC75s without seeing them sailed in anger. Or maybe the nuances of what he meant were lost in translation?

3 minutes ago, Indio said:

Sirena is either a very cunning smack-talker or he's very naive about the need to be diplomatic and circumspect about criticising their opponents' AC75s without seeing them sailed in anger. Or maybe the nuances of what he meant were lost in translation?

Pretty bloody arrogant Euro trash talk, actually. 

• Downvote 1

3 hours ago, Indio said:

I suspect the latter myself but you never know!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, The Main Man said:
3 hours ago, Indio said:

I suspect the latter myself but you never know!

I's go with the latter tool  Sirena has never come across as a hard-arse.

He may have to swallow humble pie or he may not? He certainly is arrogantly confident with their B2, lets wait and see tomorrow I hear?

• Like 1

ok they have seen two boats move closer to their design direction, well done, no one as yet has gone for the below deck boom set up, I  think NZ might do it in conjunction with the enclosed pits from the test boat and the only open area for the back three to swap sides

equally three teams have seen Prada drop its rig and the front fall off so maybe they have a bit of internal reflection to do as i imagine the other team principles were "not impressed" either 

4 hours ago, laser 173312 said:

Oops, I got it wrong, didn't take the day into consideration 10:15 NZDT Tuesday is 23:15 Monday CEST, and 22:15 Monday BST. Must of been the beer last night, Sorry

Help! 

You guys are very confusing :D

Maybe everyone checks for themselves. 

59 minutes ago, KiwiJoker said:

I's go with the latter tool  Sirena has never come across as a hard-arse.

Absolutely - from personal contacts and all the videos I’ve seen

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Xlot said:

Absolutely - from personal contacts and all the videos I’ve seen

Totally agree..

It that interview, Sirena clarifies something that seems all too obvious, but will be the key to winning.  

The secret is to always fly!

It also points out that this may end up being a cup with a lot of aggressive sailing.  

The penalty of falling off the foils has never been so great.  

So the incentive/strategy to knock your opponent off their foils will be paramount in winning races.  It doesn't matter how fast you boat is if you are forced to sail your hull on the water.

What is the secret to winning with these new, flying boats, never seen before?

“What counts is speed and who maneuvers better. The start will be upwind, and therefore positioning will be fundamental. Then, being the racing field limited by imaginary boundaries, the skill will be to push the opponent against these lines that must not be crossed and thus force him to maneuver and fall from the foils. There is a difference of about 15 knots in speed between flight and classic attitude in the water. Now, you have to think that the boat rises on the foils when it reaches 19 knots, if you fall it then takes several seconds to regain this speed: if in the meantime the opponent continues to fly, it grinds hundreds of meters and you don't catch it anymore. The secret is to always fly ".