strider470

Luna Rossa Challenge. AC 36

Recommended Posts

1 minute ago, Nauti Buoy said:

You’ve become the baddie everyone hates ❤️

Better than indifference I guess 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, zillafreak said:

Looks nearly identical. Foils the only obvious difference at first glance

Yes and those foils are very interesting ........not sure what to make from them.....foils in front of the swing arm. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, mako23 said:

I can’t handle Spithill being nice, especially when he’s talking about ETNZ. The sooner he’s back to his own normal mocking, arrogant, cynical, dismissive etc normal self the better. 
also as ETNZ we need a few baddies to hate, make it more interesting and fun

Dalts was quoted last year that they had no problems with Spitty joining LR as long as he "keeps his gob shut", and he added that LR seemed to have that under control.

LR is a different culture to the hype-driven testosterone-saturated AC34 environment of his previous gig.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, The_Alchemist said:

Really?  They are both black with red trim, but significantly different.  LR just widen the keel as it goes back, but the bottom of the hull is very flat. If anything it is flatter than LR B1.  NZ has a wide pregnant belly with a small flat area surrounding it and a steep angle up the sides.  It is obvious that LR will be much more stable in displacement mode than NZ.  

NZ B2 is very similar to AM B2 except for the bow and a wider, rounded keel.

That's Te Aihe evicted out onto the hard you're comparing with LR-B2...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Might B1 and B2 have accidentally got mixed up in the shed? You know, like babies in the neonatal ward. ;-)

LR.thumb.png.bc6b6d127344eaca797221f8b3f68047.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, mikenz2 said:

Starboard 1.JPG

Biggest difference seems to be the foils on LR B2. Looks to have way more area than their original foils. With their first foils, it's like they said, lets see how small we can go. All foils on all the boats look to be very similar in area now - a not unexpected outcome.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, The_Alchemist said:

They must have put the weight in the foil arm extension, they are much wider than the other boats.  Also, the foils are farther ahead in the design box than the other boats, especially vs NZ.

Maybe look at ETNZs first foils. :ph34r:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Xlot said:

It so happens I can. Same goes for Clean, and he does seem to have an exaggerated sense of his importance

Clean does, or Max?

19 minutes ago, Sailbydate said:

Might B1 and B2 have accidentally got mixed up in the shed? You know, like babies in the neonatal ward. ;-)

LR.thumb.png.bc6b6d127344eaca797221f8b3f68047.png

The sheer line radius at the foredeck is larger it seems. Makes sense for aerodynamics, a softer edge for flow up and over the foredeck. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, mikenz2 said:

Nope

Port.JPG

Starboard 1.JPG

Starboard 2.JPG

Gotta love those UpTiPs, or uPtIps, or UpTIps. Well fuck lets just call them UpTits

 

beautiful-girlfriend-huge-torpedo-tits-upwards.thumb.jpg.b3a3be4c4d3b71aa00a4820cbb58e40b.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, zillafreak said:

Gotta love those UpTiPs, or uPtIps, or UpTIps. Well fuck lets just call them UpTits

 

 

I guess this serves me right for being on here on my work computer! lol

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, zillafreak said:

Gotta love those UpTiPs, or uPtIps, or UpTIps. Well fuck lets just call them UpTits

 

 

Thanks mate I’d just literally said to a house guest about internet usage.....Download anything you like except porn. Go to my room and pick up iPad and that’s there ? LOL

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Forourselves said:

I guess this serves me right for being on here on my work computer! lol

:D The perils of AC Anarchy

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, mako23 said:

Didn’t know that ETNZ had launched B2 ?

Sorry, I meant LR B2 looks more like AM B2 than is does NZ B1.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, mako23 said:

Thanks mate I’d just literally said to a house guest about internet usage.....Download anything you like except porn. Go to my room and pick up iPad and that’s there ? LOL

The proper way to view AC Anarchy

 

images.jpg.77073dbd3ed99a6b12bb8dae31caafa6.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, The_Alchemist said:

Sorry, I meant LR B2 looks more like AM B2 than is does NZ B1.

Typo ...we all do it 

as for LR B2 looking like AM B2  ....agree 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, The_Alchemist said:

Sorry, I meant LR B2 looks more like AM B2 than is does NZ B1.

Probably more the opposite. Patriot looks more like LR B1 and 2. Probably why Sirena is happy with where they are. I guess he feels Patriots performance will be around the performance of their B1.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Forourselves said:

Probably more the opposite. Patriot looks more like LR B1 and 2. Probably why Sirena is happy with where they are. I guess he feels Patriots performance will be around the performance of their B1.

Yes, LR B1 is the original.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, zillafreak said:

The proper way to view AC Anarchy

 

images.jpg.77073dbd3ed99a6b12bb8dae31caafa6.jpg

Of course if we ETNZ supporters will  have to reply while  you Americans are at work

Things might go downhill rapidly 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Very curious to hear from LR what changes were made from B1 to B2. Likely smaller functional improvements?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Auckland (NZ), 20 October 2020 –The second AC 75 Luna Rossa boat was launched this morning, at 10.30  local time, in the presence of the families of the Luna Rossa Prada Pirelli Team and a small group of friends and local suppliers close to the team in its New Zealand venture.

https://www.lunarossachallenge.com/en/news/547_Luna-Rossa-Prada-Pirelli-team-launches-its-second-br-AC-75-Luna-Rossa-in-Auckland

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

^ ?

the new hull will also feature technology details designed in partnership with Pirelli. Among these, thanks to this company’s ability to create innovative materials for tire technology, is a component, used for all parts that touch the water, that adds performance at the highest speed range.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just went for a wander to see how they were doing commissioning the new boat. A few fairings are off as things are worked on.
P1150291.thumb.JPG.b4ceda73c9bd3cc19c47f0edaf7f9606.JPG

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Horn Rock said:

Biggest difference seems to be the foils on LR B2. Looks to have way more area than their original foils. With their first foils, it's like they said, lets see how small we can go. All foils on all the boats look to be very similar in area now - a not unexpected outcome.

Because there are no bulbs and the weight has to go somewhere

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Indio said:

 

LR is a different culture to the hype-driven testosterone-saturated AC34 environment of his previous gig.

Really?

AD8D0E0A-4F59-46D0-87FE-0D0D244021AC.jpeg

WetHog  :ph34r:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, WetHog said:

Really?

AD8D0E0A-4F59-46D0-87FE-0D0D244021AC.jpeg

WetHog  :ph34r:

Its the Village people 2020

No LGBTQ bashing intended

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm guessing the temporary winches on the foredeck are the way they  are applying load for testing.

P1150352 (2).JPG

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, The_Alchemist said:

Wtf, a square pocket in the front....lol.  Is that where they keep the monster...

”Theres a monster in there”

download.jpg.06760ae78812740320626a33f965ad6a.jpg

Picture of  lifesize LR monster

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, The_Alchemist said:

The next issue about LR is how they handle the sails.  Will they stay with their boom-less design or go to a boom.

Can't see any holes in deck like B1.

image.png.c3ec69cb6509d79d7eff31bea576eedb.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, mikenz2 said:


 

P1150310 (2).JPG

Has anyone figured out what these are?

 

image.png.50452d098c42624c4f6d050b0fea1153.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Ncik said:

Has anyone figured out what these are?

 

image.png.50452d098c42624c4f6d050b0fea1153.png

Lift and tow load point small bridge for line to clear deck..

0FCD0C25-4FED-4E7C-A102-90272665338C.thumb.jpeg.9ce39d11adf1c2595b2f7d59ead00ebf.jpeg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, mako23 said:

I don’t think that this boat will be causing ETNZ any major concerns. It’s clearly evolutionary not revolutionary 

maybe its fast as fuck ? 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, kiwi39 said:

maybe its fast as fuck ? 

 

There’s nothing in the Hull shape to make it significantly faster than other boats. However it’s still could be very fast for other reasons 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

B1 was supposed to be very quick  so recon B2 continues the theme.

 

IF it’s not max has been gobbing off a lot, saying the Ineos guys wanted to be on Prada in sardinia, making sure people know how much help Prada gave NZ last time out ( I agree on that bit) and then being smug/dismissive of everything he has seen in NZ since arrival with ref to boat performance or new boats.

either they have an utter rocket or it could be a bit awkward. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, The_Alchemist said:

Wtf, a square pocket in the front....lol.  Is that where they keep the monster...

”Theres a monster in there”

It's a fucking bustle!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Certainly to the naked eye B2 isn't that much different? Max reckons he's looking forward to seeing NZ's B2 because NZ are always innovative, clever and developing breakthroughs? OK so to win you need to beat that and I'm not convinced their B2 delivers? Not like Ineos who seem to be a little radical. Now they could well be the fastest of the challengers and they'll need to be to race NZ otherwise they'll never find out? In my eyes Patriot is the prettiest boat and some say if it looks good it normally is good? LOL 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looking at the relatively small changes compared to the other teams and the fact they all moved closer to the Luna Rossa concept you could get the feeling LR was the quickest B1 by some margin...

Basically if they weren't you would have thought they would move a little further from their current design.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Vasco Vascotto Interview. (Use Auto Translate in Youtube) He believes their B2 is a perfect evolution of their B1 which by all guesses was the fastest B1 by some margin. He also says that because AM and Ineos have come over to their design style with their B2's means they have little time to get to know the characteristics of what is such a different boat to their B1's. The scary thing for me and call me silly is if he is right then Luna Rossa could be well ahead of the others (Except NZ). History shows when the Italians race the Kiwis in the AC they usually get spanked.! Oh Oh.! Could this be over already LOL....???

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

anything to support your theory that NZ b1 is the fastest bestest boat in the whole wide world?. it looked good yes but why would it be ahead of LR?

and its been said plenty of times that LR did have a very very good B1, only for the loss of the series preventing it being shown 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, JALhazmat said:

its been said plenty of times that LR did have a very very good B1

I'm not sure where this is coming from. We've seen so little of LR except for a small amount of edited footage. We've not seen any consistent manoeuvering, the likes of which we've seen from ETNZ/Am. We've no idea if they can get around the track dry. For me, the jury is out on LR until we get to see them a lot more.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Pretty subtle refinement -> they must be pretty confident they're in the right part of the rule, a slight move towards TNZ.

Slightly fatter skeg (I also saw that as a flat bottomed skeg on first view!), slightly sleeker bow, sharpened chines aft, cleaned up deck.

 

Something something eating crow about bulbs...

 

9 hours ago, Stingray~ said:

a component, used for all parts that touch the water, that adds performance at the highest speed range

Hmm.

I was thinking that bowsprit closeup does kinda look like there is a layer of something on the hull, could there be a rubberised layer like how submarines have a rubber surface?

Surface materials were very strictly controlled though so I don't think that can actually be legal

Quote

AC75 rule v 1.10

9 Surface finishes

9.1 Except as permitted in Rules 9.5 and 9.6, the outermost layer of the hull, foils excluding foil systems controlled
by Rule 13.3, and rudder must be either:

(a) a commercial product approved by the Rules Committee according to Rule 8, who shall only approve
paints that are comparable to those on the list provided in Rule 8.6; or
(b) an unpainted steel surface.

9.2 Competitors must not alter the chemistry of paints except with products that are a standard part of an
approved paint system and used in compliance with the manufacturer’s standard guidelines.

9.3 Paints or additives that are designed to reduce surface friction (such as PTFE) may not be used on the
outermost layer of the hull, foils or rudder.

9.4 Surfaces may be sanded, polished and cleaned, providing that the only substances that remain on those
surfaces when the yacht is afloat satisfy Rules 9.1, 9.2 and 9.3.

9.5 Competitors may apply vinyl or plastic film over the paint for the purpose of branding, providing it complies
with Rule 9.7.

9.6 On areas of the deck where crew operate, or on fittings attached to the deck, Competitors are permitted
to apply non-skid products or coatings. These areas shall be no larger than necessary and shall not extend
into areas that crew do not access during racing.

9.7 Devices and finishes whose primary purpose is to reduce friction drag by altering the structure of the
boundary layer are prohibited. This prohibition includes, but is not limited to:

(a) electric, magnetic, sonic, thermal and chemical devices;
(b) patterned or textured finishes, LEBUs; and
(c) devices that suck fluid from or blow fluid on to the surface of a component.

This rule does not prohibit passive surface features, such as fences or vortex generators, which extend
outside the local boundary layer.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Horn Rock said:

I'm not sure where this is coming from. We've seen so little of LR except for a small amount of edited footage. We've not seen any consistent manoeuvering, the likes of which we've seen from ETNZ/Am. We've no idea if they can get around the track dry. For me, the jury is out on LR until we get to see them a lot more.

people in teams and from what was said by Ben during and after sardinia

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, terrafirma said:

Vasco Vascotto Interview. (Use Auto Translate in Youtube) He believes their B2 is a perfect evolution of their B1 which by all guesses was the fastest B1 by some margin. He also says that because AM and Ineos have come over to their design style with their B2's means they have little time to get to know the characteristics of what is such a different boat to their B1's. The scary thing for me and call me silly is if he is right then Luna Rossa could be well ahead of the others (Except NZ). History shows when the Italians race the Kiwis in the AC they usually get spanked.! Oh Oh.! Could this be over already LOL....???

 

Thank you @terrafirma I was searching for interviews. Here's the full report :

 

- He has to be careful about speaking of B1/ B2  differences. They had a great B1, other teams saw that. B2 is more radical evolution of B1. Everything on B2 is more precise and more refined, more "ready for the Cup". 

- AM and Ineos are the teams that changed more, they're trying to get where LR and ATNZ were with their B1s. This gave them even more confidence that their design philosophy was right from the start. From then they continued to develop the boat, and the results will be seen on B2. 

- Asked about who between AM and Ineos impressed him most with B2, he answer that Ineos Team was really brave to completely change their design philosophy. However, that could be also a problem, because time is really short to fully understand a completely new boat like that in all aspects, because this boat are very complex. 

- next months will be the more exciting. All teams are in the same place, there's lot of enthusiasm in the air. It's two years and half they're training alone in Caglliari, that is a perfect spot for sailing, but they need the Cup energy. 

- Asked about the main goals to reach in these months, he answer with an argentine motto "Toda la carne al asadoro" literally " all the meat on the grid". Time is running, they have to be smar and understand what can be improved and what has to stay the same. So they have to be smart on cooking the right meat. 

- Asked about his feelings at the splashing, he feels excited like the first day of a second year of school, he's really proud of the work of the whole team (also the people who for Covid and logistic reasons couldn't get to NZ and are now working from Italy) and grateful for the perfect timing that allowed B2 to be splashed right in schedule. 

 

 

  • Like 12

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Zaal said:

Thank you @terrafirma I was searching for interviews. Here's the full report :

- He has to be careful about speaking of B1/ B2  differences. They had a great B1, other teams saw that. B2 is more radical evolution of B1. Everything on B2 is more precise and more refined, more "ready for the Cup". 

- AM and Ineos are the teams that changed more, they're trying to get where LR and ATNZ were with their B1s. This gave them even more confidence that their design philosophy was right from the start. From then they continued to develop the boat, and the results will be seen on B2. 

- Asked about who between AM and Ineos impressed him most with B2, he answer that Ineos Team was really brave to completely change their design philosophy. However, that could be also a problem, because time is really short to fully understand a completely new boat like that in all aspects, because this boat are very complex. 

- next months will be the more exciting. All teams are in the same place, there's lot of enthusiasm in the air. It's two years and half they're training alone in Caglliari, that is a perfect spot for sailing, but they need the Cup energy. 

- Asked about the main goals to reach in these months, he answer with an argentine motto "Toda la carne al asadoro" literally " all the meat on the grid". Time is running, they have to be smar and understand what can be improved and what has to stay the same. So they have to be smart on cooking the right meat. 

- Asked about his feelings at the splashing, he feels excited like the first day of a second year of school, he's really proud of the work of the whole team (also the people who for Covid and logistic reasons couldn't get to NZ and are now working from Italy) and grateful for the perfect timing that allowed B2 to be splashed right in schedule. 

Thank you Zaal. Your translation is invaluable.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

Here's another interview right after the splashing, this time with Francesco "Checco" Bruni, one of the helmsman / foil controllers of Luna Rossa.

- Asked about the main differences between Cagliari and new Zealand sailing condistions, he answer that there will be 5 race courses in Auckland, Alpha, Bravo, Charlie, Delta, Eco. The choice of which one to use rely on wind direction. In the Charlie race course, that is the best for the fan so it will be used a lot, there's some current. He expect medium range wind condition. 

- Asked about his feelings at the moment, he' answer that he's really excited to be in Auckland,  helming LR for such a great competition. It's a great satisfaction, but he has to stay focused on doing his work the best he can.

- About other teams B2s, he says that both AM and Ineos changed a lot from their original designs, moving in LR direction. He adds that Ineos changed a lot also the crew position and the work stations on the deck, again following LR ideas. He expect boats with similar performances and great racing. 

- They can't wait to sail B2 and see the boat performances, but they have to keep a low profile and be ready at the right moment. 

  • Like 9

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Horn Rock said:

I'm not sure where this is coming from. We've seen so little of LR except for a small amount of edited footage. We've not seen any consistent manoeuvering, the likes of which we've seen from ETNZ/Am. We've no idea if they can get around the track dry. For me, the jury is out on LR until we get to see them a lot more.

If we go by the saying "if it's not breaking, it's not going fast enough" then the Italian have a clear advantage on speed indeed. Haven't seen much breakage from other teams.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Zeusproject said:

Has to be removable but don’t know if you could race without 

It’s the fig leaf for the “75” in AC75 - would have to be AC68 without it

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote

"Below 40° of latitude, there is no law. Below 50°, there is no God."  —Old Sailor's Adage

Courtesy Captain Gigi, nice. But I prefer Brazil’s “ Sin doesn’t exist on the side below the Equator” :) 

(but I guess they had Latin America in mind, not prudish NZ)

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Xlot said:

It’s the fig leaf for the “75” in AC75 - would have to be AC68 without it

Looks like they took the sprit from B1 based on how it fits

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, buckdouger said:

Clean does, or Max?

Just guess

[Clean]

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Considering AM and INEOS went towards LR with their second boat, based on comments coming out of LR, it’s clear LRs 6 month head start will be a huge task for the other two challengers to overcome.  Probably why INEOS swung for the fences, again. Trying to catch up.  Might be another AC34 LVC where the result is pre-determined where 1 challenger is so far ahead the rest are racing for the first loser. 

WetHog  :ph34r:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, WetHog said:

Considering AM and INEOS went towards LR with their second boat, based on comments coming out of LR, it’s clear LRs 6 month head start will be a huge task for the other two challengers to overcome.  Probably why INEOS swung for the fences, again. Trying to catch up.  Might be another AC34 LVC where the result is pre-determined where 1 challenger is so far ahead the rest are racing for the first loser. 

WetHog  :ph34r:

Again? Pray tell me: once the general concept (Jesus foils) is known, how is the keel/skeg decision tied to an advance knowledge of the Rule? I seriouly doubt ETNZ and LR deliberated for six months over it

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

eight_col_Luna_Rossa.jpg?1603155507
 

Overall this looks awesome. Keel does extend all the way aft now, don’t think LRB1 had that. In this aspect its similar to Ineos B2, apprently maximizing the end plate effect. AM keel tapers out and is much less deep 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, guser said:

AM keel tapers out and is much less deep 

My impression too but it sure would be nice to see some overlapping lines of these hulls for this and other comparisons. 
 

‘Sex-appeal’ wise Ineos is my favorite, the evolution of their underside from BR1’s bolt-on keelson to BR2’s impressive skison is a big, brave, bold, badass bet. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, guser said:

eight_col_Luna_Rossa.jpg?1603155507
 

Overall this looks awesome. Keel does extend all the way aft now, don’t think LRB1 had that. In this aspect its similar to Ineos B2, apprently maximizing the end plate effect. AM keel tapers out and is much less deep 

I constantly read posts claiming that this or that keel/skeg contributes to the end plate effect, but I have yet to find any description or diagram of how that is supposed to work. Although I understand how the deck/mainsail effect works, I'm struggling to see how a vertical keel helps this.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, MaxHugen said:

I constantly read posts claiming that this or that keel/skeg contributes to the end plate effect, but I have yet to find any description or diagram of how that is supposed to work. Although I understand how the deck/mainsail effect works, I'm struggling to see how a vertical keel helps this.

i just replied in the other thread you asked the question in 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

Here another interview. This time double: Max Sirena and James Spithill talking. Jimmy (from 9:24) talks in english, so no need of translation, here's only Max answers. 

 

- At first glance B2 could seem a "copy" of B1, but they designed both and B2 and they are quite different. The hull, the deck, the bow, the cockpit are different from B1. They were really happy about B1 - unlike some other competitors - that they wanted to develop and improve that design philosophy both in aerodynamics and hydrodynamics. They bettered also the internal control system, so B2 is very different from B1, but they are in the same family. 

- Asked about AM and Ineos, he answer that they changed completely from their B1, maybe Ineos even more than the americans. he adds that it's up to them explaining why they did B2 completely different from B1, anyway he saw a lot of similarities with Luna Rossa B1, so it's clear that they took inspiration from it.

- Timetable for next days is complete all the structural checks (the last one, with the sails, Saturday or at least Sunday) and starting sailing and training by Monday. There's no much time, but they're confident to be ready for the first race. 

- Lockdown and the cancellation of Cagliari and Portsmouth events put all the teams in the situation of designing B2 without a confrontation between the B1s. He's very happy about the last sailing period in Cagliari, they tried to push B2 design until the last moment. Now every team will try to sail near an opponent in the Hauraki Goulf trying to gain some information about boat speed and performance, since the Cup is won not only by by the best crew but also by the fastest boat. 

- Asked about ETNZ, he answer that they haven't weak points. They are a great and tight knit group, representing a nation where everybody is a sailor, or was a sailor before. They play at home and they have also three month more to develop their B2. He expect something new and radical from them, cause they have a really smart design team and great sailors. At the same time, he thinks that whoever wins the Prada Cup will be a very strong opponent for them. 

- Asked about the race courses, he say that he know pretty well the sailing conditions in Auckland, since this is his fourth Cup campaign there (2 with LR, then 1 with ETNZ, and now this one). the big difference from the past is that this time around they'll sail inside the islands. There is only one race course that is a little farther away, between Takapuna and Rangitoto. It's a quite gathered sailing area, so it will be possible for fans ashore to see the boats, and it's also quite difficult, because sailing through the islands there will be a lot of wind shifts. Cagliari was a perfect spot for training, because it was possible to sail in the open sea but also near Sella del Diavolo (edit: Devil's Saddle) where wind is strong and shifty. 

- It was a very emotional day, splashing a boat so cutting edge and technologically advanced, so complex, so accurately designed and built. He repeats that it's difficult to see the difference with B1, but if someone could step on the boat he would realize that the accuracy of construction is incredible, Persico marine with LR design team did something incredible, a real work of art, he never saw  an object so well built. So it was an emotional day, the boat is the result of three years of work for a Cup campaign that will be remembered forever for the worldwide Covid situation. They feel the responsability and the honour to represent Italy. 

- He wanted the Cup to be broadcasted in Italy by the state Tv along with Sky and pay tv, so that everyone could see the races, he jokes that they'll have to get up 3 AM for watching it, but it's up to them make it worth with great performances on the sea. 

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I remember from a past interview Max saying that the rudder is crucial for getting speed. The more it's out of the water, the more you gain speed.

With the foil so forward there is more distance from them and the rudder.

Question: does this allow the rudder to stay more out of the water in a bow-down sailing mode ? 

I think B2 will fly bow-down and overheeled, even more than B1. 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It is quite obvious GB and AM have moved towards LR with their 2nd boats. But I think the hull of GB2 is actually closer to LR2 than it is to LR1. The underwater and above water shape are more similar than either is to AM2. The main visible difference is the above decks boom, though the keel cross-section is a bit different it appears to be a similar size. Whereas AM2 is perhaps closer to LR1

(I am ignoring foils as I see no reason any team would put their final race foils on at the launch).

So will be interesting to see where NZ ends up. But it seems we have a wait

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Stingray~ said:

 

‘Sex-appeal’ wise Ineos is my favorite, the evolution of their underside from BR1’s bolt-on keelson to BR2’s impressive skison is a big, brave, bold, badass bet. 

You must have weird sex ;)

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hmmm, are you sure LR hasn't moved towards INEOS 1.2?!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, mikenz2 said:

"LOOP LOAD TEST"
 

P1150310 (2).JPG

Loop what they call their mainsail control by chance? Or just loading it up against itself in a loop...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Nauti Buoy said:

Loop what they call their mainsail control by chance? Or just loading it up against itself in a loop...

Loops as in spectra soft attachment loops. They probably have specific ones they use for load/cell testing so that if they are compromised, they aren't used elsewhere.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In their insta story they blurred the deck around the mast. As if spies were spying in instagram? :blink:

Screenshot_20201020-210206_Instagram.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, Nauti Buoy said:

Loop what they call their mainsail control by chance? Or just loading it up against itself in a loop...

My guess is that it’s for testing the FCS but maybe the fact the tester is sitting on the FCS breather-box is what leads to the thought. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, k-f-u said:

In their insta story they blurred the deck around the mast. As if spies were spying in instagram? :blink:

Screenshot_20201020-210206_Instagram.png

It’s the cooked-in photo-recalibration tech, super-patented by Pirelli :) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, atwinda said:

Loops as in spectra soft attachment loops. They probably have specific ones they use for load/cell testing so that if they are compromised, they aren't used elsewhere.

 

2 hours ago, Stingray~ said:

My guess is that it’s for testing the FCS but maybe the fact the tester is sitting on the FCS breather-box is what leads to the thought. 

Both more logical... Damn... I want to know whats under the hood! 

image.png.c7d175f69be6eda980d4adf2e53d8d9f.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Nauti Buoy said:

Both more logical... Damn... I want to know whats under the hood! 

I doubt they are load testing the foil arms in the water. That likely happened in the shed or before shipment to AKL. Otherwise, we would have seen them wheel it out as AM did.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, atwinda said:

Loops as in spectra soft attachment loops. They probably have specific ones they use for load/cell testing so that if they are compromised, they aren't used elsewhere.

More likely a complete integrity test of the FCS architecture for signal degradation, response times, etc. There'll be other test instruments hooked up elsewhere in the system with data and results collated on a techo's laptop via wifi.

I'm assuming they have mechanical electric-released ratchet-type locks to hold the arms in place (instead of relying on hydraulic lock by the cylinders) which they'd want to be confident will unlock when they need to deploy..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Indio said:

More likely a complete integrity test of the FCS architecture for signal degradation, response times, etc. There'll be other test instruments hooked up elsewhere in the system with data and results collated on a techo's laptop via wifi.

I'm assuming they have mechanical electric-released ratchet-type locks to hold the arms in place (instead of relying on hydraulic lock by the cylinders) which they'd want to be confident will unlock when they need to deploy..

My intention was not to suggest these loops would in any way be associated with the testing of the FCS. Again, that will have all taken place ahead of splashing the boat.

The box of loops is more likely for attaching a load cell to another system on the boat. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, JALhazmat said:

people in teams and from what was said by Ben during and after sardinia

It's all relative. What's quick compared to a barge?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

While you boys fixate on what constitutes "big, brave, bold, and badass" (Stingray) in design, we're laying  bets on LR surprising everyone come December, esp., ETNZ. We women sailor fans believe it's what you do with what you've got, not how cool or sexy you look, and Italians have always had the edge in both arenas. Prepare to be surprised.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites