strider470

Luna Rossa Challenge. AC 36

14 minutes ago, Priscilla said:

Jimmy that Red Bull ain't good for you.

1611277677295.thumb.jpg.21bc006145a6a2bef1652bf83b8a6f77.jpg

JS looking a bit thin after loosing weight.

6 hours ago, Zaal said:

They’re happy about boat performances: they are the fastest boat in light breeze, and they’re fast also in stronger winds.

If AM hadn't had their woopsie, LR would have been 2 and oh last weekend. They keep talking it up and playing down the issues, but the pre-event favs, have been a touch average in my mind.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Horn Rock said:

If AM hadn't had their woopsie, LR would have been 2 and oh last weekend. They keep talking it up and playing down the issues, but the pre-event favs, have been a touch average in my mind.

Disagree. I'm with Zaal. LR are fast all round. They need a bit more top end and that is what the new foils are about, yes that will come at the expense of some bottom end. INEOS are going to need to have found speed this week to beat them is my impression.

So after sorting out the frackers with apparent success Magnus is now going after the handbags.

His expose of the lack of speed and mutiny in the INEOS camp before the ACWS worked wonders.

So what is Magnus up to now? He sees a melt down in the Italian gelato, offering the "body language" between the twin skippers as evidence. It is a pitbull power struggle with Jimmy winning control. Goody will no doubt step in as tactician (though Magnus does not go as far as sacking Checci) and all will be well.

Can't wait for the carnage.

Just now, winchfodder said:

So after sorting out the frackers with apparent success Magnus is now going after the handbags.

His expose of the lack of speed and mutiny in the INEOS camp before the ACWS worked wonders.

So what is Magnus up to now? He sees a melt down in the Italian gelato, offering the "body language" between the twin skippers as evidence. It is a pitbull power struggle with Jimmy winning control. Goody will no doubt step in as tactician (though Magnus does not go as far as sacking Checci) and all will be well.

Oh hell. Given Magnus' record to date, that means the Italians will be unbeatable next race

• Like 1

^^^ So similar to their previous foils, but a bit narrower in chord length. 

Edit: not entirely clear the max chord is in the right place. Two lines proposed, yield different conclusions. Definitely changes to the foil attachment to arm.

image.png.99a9f3a892702b549003fff5b9624d06.png

image.png

image.png

7 minutes ago, buckdouger said:

Edit: not entirely clear the max chord is in the right place. Two lines proposed, yield different conclusions. Definitely changes to the foil attachment to arm.

The only way I've found to get reasonably accurate measurements is from a pic perpendicular to the foil when it's elevated.

• Like 1

Luna Rossa will be furious, a clearly capable and fast boat, just let down again in a tight situation. 

I know it's becoming cliche by now to say this, but they must solve the communication issue between Jimmy and Bruni. I can see why Jimmy was calling those tacks, but it clearly wasn't as well practiced as it should be. 

Obviously, lots of shifts in that race, but these were two situation, where Luna Rossa conceded an advantageous position in an unforced error. They only needed half a boat length more and that last cross penalty would have gone their way. 

• Like 3

The only sailing reason for having the split helm is if it makes them more efficient in manoeuvres than others who have the helmsman crossing the boat. However that's not what's happening, if anything it's hindering their manoeuvres. It seems more like a political decision that's not helping. Is it too late to change? Would there be controls and systems that are too difficult to alter and adapt to at this stage? If they could change who would be the sole helmsman?

I just posted on GB thread that they are the only one of 3 whose mainsail trimmer is to windward and trimming main when they come out of a turn. I wonder if that is hurting LR on tacks

I think it's mini crisis time for Luna Rossa. When your in front why not cover? They are not making decisions consistent with winning this event let alone the cup. I know deep down Jimmy doesn't agree with their strategies to date. Jimmy is pissed with the umpires mean time Ineos sail away. The Italians once again are off on a tangent that isn't conducive with winning on the big stage. 

43 minutes ago, terrafirma said:

I think it's mini crisis time for Luna Rossa. When your in front why not cover? They are not making decisions consistent with winning this event let alone the cup. I know deep down Jimmy doesn't agree with their strategies to date. Jimmy is pissed with the umpires mean time Ineos sail away. The Italians once again are off on a tangent that isn't conducive with winning on the big stage. 

Agreed 100%.  Max needs to make jimmy helm and Bruni tactician and that’s the end of the story.  Move on.  Put the egos aside - too much riding on this.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Mozzy Sails said:

Luna Rossa will be furious, a clearly capable and fast boat, just let down again in a tight situation. 

I know it's becoming cliche by now to say this, but they must solve the communication issue between Jimmy and Bruni. I can see why Jimmy was calling those tacks, but it clearly wasn't as well practiced as it should be. 

Obviously, lots of shifts in that race, but these were two situation, where Luna Rossa conceded an advantageous position in an unforced error. They only needed half a boat length more and that last cross penalty would have gone their way. 

Watch the port and starboar race feeds. The difference is night and day between Prada comms and Ineos comms. They should just have Jimmy be tactician as he's obviously better at it and bruni on the helm.

• Like 2

"Coach of Luna Rossa, Philippe Presti is one of the major players in the Prada Cup. Glued to his seat at the front of the Italian AC75 tender, he follows everything, sees everything, hears everything to help Spithill and his crew to progress. His role, the results of the first round robins, the capsizing of Patriot, the regattas to come, the complexity of the boats, he is the man you have to listen to to better understand what is currently happening in Auckland. Interview as informative as it is fascinating!"

https://voilesetvoiliers.ouest-france.fr/regate/coupe-de-l-america/video-america-s-cup-rencontre-avec-philippe-presti-ces-machines-sont-incroyables-4685e30c-5bdd-11eb-ac77-3c5a581679bb

30 minutes ago, chesirecat said:

"Coach of Luna Rossa, Philippe Presti is one of the major players in the Prada Cup. Glued to his seat at the front of the Italian AC75 tender, he follows everything, sees everything, hears everything to help Spithill and his crew to progress. His role, the results of the first round robins, the capsizing of Patriot, the regattas to come, the complexity of the boats, he is the man you have to listen to to better understand what is currently happening in Auckland. Interview as informative as it is fascinating!"

https://voilesetvoiliers.ouest-france.fr/regate/coupe-de-l-america/video-america-s-cup-rencontre-avec-philippe-presti-ces-machines-sont-incroyables-4685e30c-5bdd-11eb-ac77-3c5a581679bb

We are getting fucked by the boat we laughed  at when it launched and only scraped a second point when AM fell over.. 

is that the gist of it? 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, JALhazmat said:

We are getting fucked by the boat we laughed  at when it launched and only scraped a second point when AM fell over.. 

is that the gist of it? 

Crikey only a week or two ago Max S was waxing lyrical about his preference for using their B1 for the initial stages of the Prada Cup.

18 hours ago, Mozzy Sails said:

Another great video @Mozzy Sails!

I also recall an incident in the race when jimmy started counting slowly and Bruni just talked over him, saying all in one go "three-two-one-drop!" which seemed like he was almost pissed off...

I know there was talk about these two not getting on, and I do think they are trying, but this type of shared control (especially when under pressure/behind) is very difficult to maintain a positive relationship. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, sailfly said:

Is LR is using a different program for their FCS?

https://youtu.be/N8--jRxcXgM?t=9005

Am I the only one noticing how the early the foil starts to raise, then pauses for a sec, then finishes coming up?

FCS and its software are the same for all teams. How they cant the foils is up to them and it changes depending on conditions and speed.

Here is foil cant angle during tacks for INEOS vs LR. The main difference is that LR dips the new foil deeper for a few seconds after tack while accelerating. We've seen all teams do it during the ACWS. However, INEOS seems to have minimized this acceleration / low foil cant period.

cant.png.917509df15ae9dc8df4076500d3c7fca.png

• Like 2

Wind forecast for next Friday and weekend is light winds. Good for LR and bad for AM

mind due wind forecast in this part of the world have the statistical validity as using lotto for predicting wind 

• Like 2

On 1/23/2021 at 2:58 AM, buckdouger said:

Difficult to get any accuracy at all from these pics, best I could do, but it does appear that the flap area is larger, and the leading edge has lost the curvature out towards the tip. Overall area looks much the same otherwise.

image.png.9e124cfbf08b4192f3e74d2f673536b5.png

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MaxHugen said:

Difficult to get any accuracy at all from these pics, best I could do, but it does appear that the flap area is larger, and the leading edge has lost the curvature out towards the tip. Overall area looks much the same otherwise.

This team excels at making imperceptible changes to things. Makes you wonder if they are bold enough. 

I wonder also if these aren't new foils, just modified foils or new flaps or both.

Also hard to reconcile that they spent months on the smallest foils around and then switched to some of the biggest. I wonder if the first set is salvageable with mods and will reappear. 

The blended foils we are seeing might suggest having a bulb that doesn't contribute meaningfully to lift is too high a cost and the bulb has to pay its way somewhat too. 

3 hours ago, MaxHugen said:

Max it appears they have made the new foils blur.  How does that add speed? Modified the sail as well with the word "new".

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, buckdouger said:

This team excels at making imperceptible changes to things. Makes you wonder if they are bold enough. 

I wonder also if these aren't new foils, just modified foils or new flaps or both.

Also hard to reconcile that they spent months on the smallest foils around and then switched to some of the biggest. I wonder if the first set is salvageable with mods and will reappear. 

The blended foils we are seeing might suggest having a bulb that doesn't contribute meaningfully to lift is too high a cost and the bulb has to pay its way somewhat too. 

I'm with you on the blended foils, not just for lift but especially reduced drag. I had thought that another team might drift that way too, but perhaps it's better suited to a T foil than a Y foil.

Just now, dullers said:

Max it appears they have made the new foils blur.  How does that add speed? Modified the sail as well with the word "new".

Haha!  They do this to confuse the smart asses on SA I think. :lol:

• Like 1

Just now, MaxHugen said:

Haha!  They do this to confuse the smart asses on SA I think. :lol:

I am always confused.

On 1/22/2021 at 10:42 AM, winchfodder said:

Magnus has now deleted a bunch of non flattering comments from people questioning him as well as some of the early blog entries that were critical of INEOS, he has left up the best one but comments all gone.

also on the TE show TE was getting decidedly distant from Magnus when people asked about him, such a shame..

also Sea horse magazine now sponsoring his blog, guessing they didn't want an interview with anyone from INEOS any time soon, the were also some comments from a female Cup commentator that were online when asked about Magnus that didn't paint him in the best light, 'unhelpful and uniformed' were the words..never mind eh ;) 

13 hours ago, barfy said:

America's Cup churning out the vids, well done.

Fuck Terry Hutchison.  Leadership is kicking yourself off the boat and then start chewing ass like BA did.  This isn’t a popularity contest.  Fortunately we only have to deal with AM’s top level incompetence for 5 more days - good riddance. How he convinced NYYC to lead their challenge is beyond me.  

If LR wins this AC there could be a new class of non foiling boats. The design is ready and the team too :-D

36 minutes ago, Enzedel92 said:

Fuck Terry Hutchison.  Leadership is kicking yourself off the boat and then start chewing ass like BA did.  This isn’t a popularity contest.  Fortunately we only have to deal with AM’s top level incompetence for 5 more days - good riddance. How he convinced NYYC to lead their challenge is beyond me.  

I disagree. I wish AM well with the rebuild. I would love to see them go well next weekend.....they need breeze and that might be an issue, but I wish them well.....it's just a game.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Enzedel92 said:

What a bizarre thing to say. Where you not watching that race??? AM was beating LR in that race. So at the very least, they deserve to be here TH included. Looking forward to the breeze forecast for the weekend

• Like 1

If the Handbags win the AC have they indicated what sort of boat they want to race in. 

AMERICA'S CUP

Luna Rossa: a red moon waning?

Suzanne McFadden

Suzanne McFadden is the editor of LockerRoom, dedicated to women's sport, and a writer on the America's Cup.

The darlings of the 2000 America's Cup challengers, Luna Rossa, must quickly find their groove - or disappoint a nation who desperately need something to celebrate.

Luna Rossa: a red moon waning?

6 minutes ago, southseasbill said:

If LR lose to Amway, who becomes CoR for the PRADA final?

The 3 remaining Competitors vote for the new CoR for AC36 between AM and Team Brexit.

37 minutes ago, Indio said:

The 3 remaining Competitors vote for the new CoR for AC36 between AM and Team Brexit.

It's a poisoned chalice. Who'd want the job?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, uflux said:

What a bizarre thing to say. Where you not watching that race??? AM was beating LR in that race. So at the very least, they deserve to be here TH included. Looking forward to the breeze forecast for the weekend

Whilst I am not of the opinion "fuck TH", the reality is that AM have lost the majority of their races through piss poor decision making.

I happen to think their boat is as fast if not faster than the others but they keep fucking it up.

They of course can't kick Hutch and Dean off the boat cos they presumably have nobody to replace them.

But in an ideal world...

2 hours ago, uflux said:

Terry Hutchinson comes over as nice guy and has the support of his principle backers. However on the water the Hutch/Barker combo are not in the same league as Ainslie/Scott or Burling/Ashby when it comes to close quarter split second decision making. Their boat is fast in stronger winds but they will need more than that to win the Cup.

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, winchfodder said:

Terry Hutchinson comes over as nice guy and has the support of his principle backers. However on the water the Hutch/Barker combo are not in the same league as Ainslie/Scott or Burling/Ashby when it comes to close quarter split second decision making. Their boat is fast in stronger winds but they will need more than that to win the Cup.

That wasn't the point being made. 

2 hours ago, Indio said:

Doesn't it come down to the second valid challenge received by the RNZYS?

1 hour ago, winchfodder said:

Agreed, that they are not in the same league measured as helm and tactician.  However I think that TH is in the upper echelon as program manager/leader/ inspiration . It can be seen in the boat, the tightly knit team and the sponsors etc.

I think Terry should take a page out of ETNZ and Prada and contemplate whether he would have a clearer vision of what needs doing to win if he took himself off the boat. He could objectively observe his team and their racing and take the kind of decisions that really make a difference.  Russell Coutts was not sailing on Oracle and he took the decision to change out JK for Ben Ainslie .  I really think that TH would see a lot from the chase boat that he is not seeing from the pedestal and you cannot get from the film replay.

In the film above, TH described how Dean took the decision to go round the left gate, confirming in my mind that AM does not currently have a tactician. Dean is driving and doing his own tactics while TH and Goody give input on what they see. Decision # 1 for TH is does he need to appoint a tactician for the boat?   He cannot take that decision in a objective analytical manner if he is the tactician candidate.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, southseasbill said:

LR is and remains the Challenger of Record.

The CoR challenges the defender . Both defender and CoR agree that CoR can host a series to determine the actual challenger.   The CoR hosts the challenger series and remains Challenger of Record even if their boat is not selected for the final AC match.

• Like 3
  • Downvote 1

12 hours ago, buckdouger said:

I was right about the fast orange tip....someone said it was a protector...duh. Orange is fast, especially when ventilating.

1 hour ago, EYESAILOR said:

The CoR challenges the defender . Both defender and CoR agree that CoR can host a series to determine the actual challenger.   The CoR hosts the challenger series and remains Challenger of Record even if their boat is not selected for the final AC match.

Reading the protocol, that seems to be correct. I recall at some previous AC's that the CoR was replaced when their yatch was eliminated.

24 minutes ago, barfy said:

I was right about the fast orange tip....someone said it was a protector...duh.

Put you glasses on grandad the orange tip has an orange protector duh.

IMG_0677.thumb.JPG.4b3c510b689213fbe3069fc8844b80a7.JPG

image.png.a9470371cec1216d50d545361627bd2f.png.521b6f69eca9696084312c10bd62f5ed.png

1 hour ago, EYESAILOR said:

I don't think that is correct.

I remember in the past, such as San Francisco, ETNZ assuming the role of CoR as they eliminated the original CoR.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, EYESAILOR said:

Once LR is eliminated from the CSS, they are no longer a Challenger, ergo no longer Challenger of Record. They're out, finito, kaput - fuck off home and take their whining with them. They no longer have a say in anything!

RNZYS/ETNZ chairs the meeting of the 2 CSS/Prada Cup Finalists to select the new CoR, with no vote but with a casting vote - effectively means RNZYS/ETNZ selects the new CoR.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, EYESAILOR said:

Decision # 1 for TH is does he need to appoint a tactician for the boat?   He cannot take that decision in a objective analytical manner if he is the tactician candidate.

Firstly a tactician shouldn't be grinding.

Secondly.  Goody: Olympic Gold Medalist.  Winner Star Sailors League.  3 x Moth World Champ.  I know who I'd make tactician.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Indio said:

Once LR is eliminated from the CSS, they are no longer a Challenger, ergo no longer Challenger of Record. They're out, finito, kaput - fuck off home and take their whining with them. They no longer have a say in anything!

RNZYS/ETNZ chairs the meeting of the 2 CSS/Prada Cup Finalists to select the new CoR, with no vote but with a casting vote - effectively means RNZYS/ETNZ selects the new CoR.

You mean ETNZ select Ineos

3 hours ago, Priscilla said:

image.png.a9470371cec1216d50d545361627bd2f.png.521b6f69eca9696084312c10bd62f5ed.png

3 hours ago, Priscilla said:

I hate to call you fucktard...but....

Screenshot_20210125-213554_YouTube.jpg

Crikey Barfy not sure what you’re trying to achieve with those posts but take it from me you need to go to Specsavers.

1 hour ago, mako23 said:

You mean ETNZ select Ineos

:D - NYYC talked themselves out of it by holding their meeting and mouthing off about reverting to displacement monos IF they won AC36.

6 hours ago, Indio said:

I hope this will remain abstract speculation :-P

3 hours ago, Indio said:

:D - NYYC talked themselves out of it by holding their meeting and mouthing off about reverting to displacement monos IF they won AC36.

You assume they would want to participate in another crap show like this one.

3 hours ago, sailman said:

You assume they would want to participate in another crap show like this one.

You assume that they would not want to try again, and that we'd give a fuck if they didn't! 

If ETNZ defends successfully, we only need one Challenger, and Team Brexit are it. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Indio said:

You assume that they would not want to try again, and that we'd give a fuck if they didn't! 

If ETNZ defends successfully, we only need one Challenger, and Team Brexit are it. 

And if GB win it then frankly we don't care if no-one challenges us. After all this time it would nice to be sure of hanging on to it for a while. 

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, enigmatically2 said:

And if GB win it then frankly we don't care if no-one challenges us. After all this time it would nice to be sure of hanging on to it for a while. 

If you guys win it, you can put all this "back to sailing" talk to bed and make it a fleet race around the Isle of Wight again. No class rules, just run what ya brung.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Sisu3360 said:

If you guys win it, you can put all this "back to sailing" talk to bed and make it a fleet race around the Isle of Wight again. No class rules, just run what ya brung.

Well if we are going back to roots then there should be the rule of sailing it to the event on its own hull

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, enigmatically2 said:

Well if we are going back to roots then there should be the rule of sailing it to the event on its own hull

I guess turnabout is fair play on that one, given why the NYYC put that rule in place.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, enigmatically2 said:

The french would be well placed with their offshore Ultims...

At least 3 french teams would show up.

Regards,

D.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, southseasbill said:

14 hours ago, EYESAILOR said:

12 hours ago, jaysper said:

I don't think that is correct.

I remember in the past, such as San Francisco, ETNZ assuming the role of CoR as they eliminated the original CoR.

11 hours ago, Indio said:

A really interesting conundrum:

The Protocol outlines various procedures (Section 50) for selecting a replacement COR if the Initial COR chooses to relinquish the role. It's wording does not allow for subsequent changes even though that section is titled PROVISION FOR THE APPOINTMENT OF A NEW CHALLENGER OF RECORD.

50.1 D.  notes that the former COR (having voluntarily stepped down) could continue as a competitor with full rights, but only if it's yacht continues to compete in the AC36.

But while the wording in 50.1 D tacitly acknowledges that yachts can be eliminated or retire - nowhere that I can see in the Protocol is the 'succession' of CORs, due to elimination in the CSS for example, specifically covered. I'm sure the procedures outlined in 50 should apply - but they forgot to allow for it! :lol:

And as Eyesailor states above there does not actually appear to be anything specific that stops the Initial COR from remaining COR right through - eliminated or not!

Amendment time?

If LR are knocked out, I would guess they wouldn't want to hang around so they would relinquish fairly easily.

• Like 1

Have I missed it? Is there speculation who will be on the RNZYS commodore's yacht, pen in hand, when and if ETNZ is on match point?

9 minutes ago, Sisu3360 said:

Have I missed it? Is there speculation who will be on the RNZYS commodore's yacht, pen in hand, when and if ETNZ is on match point?

The Commodore of the Royal Yacht Squadron :D

5 minutes ago, Indio said:

The Commodore of the Royal Yacht Squadron :D

To watch Ben once again beat NZ in the final race? Possible I suppose

On 1/22/2021 at 4:51 AM, Priscilla said:

Jimmy that Red Bull ain't good for you.

1611277677295.thumb.jpg.21bc006145a6a2bef1652bf83b8a6f77.jpg

How come Jimmy is dressed like a CHAV?

On 1/22/2021 at 9:22 AM, Chris UK said:

Disagree. I'm with Zaal. LR are fast all round. They need a bit more top end and that is what the new foils are about, yes that will come at the expense of some bottom end. INEOS are going to need to have found speed this week to beat them is my impression.

Or just sail better!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, dullers said:

How come Jimmy is dressed like a CHAV?

Larry no longer pays his bills!

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, dullers said:

Or just sail better!

Up until now they actually did. Hats off to the UK team.

Just now, strider470 said:

Up until now they actually did. Hats off to the UK team.

If Lunar can sort out who is in charge on the boat and get there manoeuvres sorted then they will be a threat to anyone. They are easy to fix as your boat is very good.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, enigmatically2 said:

To watch Ben once again beat NZ in the final race? Possible I suppose

Certainly possible. Either way, let's hope it's a close match.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Priscilla said:

Crikey Barfy not sure what you’re trying to achieve with those posts but take it from me you need to go to Specsavers.

Can't you clearly see the orange tip in the screen shot? I'll zoom to help you..from the last race

20210126_091057.jpg

46 minutes ago, barfy said:

Can't you clearly see the orange tip in the screen shot? I'll zoom to help you..from the last race

20210126_091057.jpg

Mate...yes you are correct that the foil has an orange tip but they are also using an orange cover to protect the top when moving the boat around on the dry.

Okay move on everyone....:mellow:

1 minute ago, uflux said:

Mate...yes you are correct that the foil has an orange tip but they are also using an orange cover to protect the top when moving the boat around on the dry.

Okay move on everyone....:mellow:

Barfy's train must have a puncture as it sure is taking him a while to move on.

• Like 1