strider470

Luna Rossa Challenge. AC 36

1 hour ago, Regular Swimmer said:

Why would any Italian supporter want the boats to be even?  The kiwis have the best apparent wind sailors of this generation.  It wouldn't surprise me if TR has on board more world championships in "even" boats than Italy has in its entire sailing history.

Umm,  I think Aus is way ahead on apparent wind sailors.  Check out the skiff scene in Aus, let alone Moth World Champs, Cat World Champs (Gashby) and heaps more.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, strider470 said:

I got lost shortly after Max’s ‘Ciao Regazzi.’ Anything fun or interesting? 

Has this been posted here before? 
(gave up looking after 4 pages back) 

44A6B552-CF30-4E15-B7D9-D2A1EC01414D.jpeg

Just now, WakaNZ said:

It has, some other shots include the 'lid' hanging left out of shot...

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Stingray~ said:

Hahahahahaha, I'm watching right now. Tomorrow I'll write down something . Very interesting. At the beginning  they talk about Patrizio Bertelli. Now it's bed time.

Ps they discuss now the press conference where Ben Ainslie was in anger for not being invited. Max is telling his version.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, rh3000 said:

It has, some other shots include the 'lid' hanging left out of shot...

Cheers, thanks

Antonio Vettese, director of a sailing magazine, says the mood in AKL compared with 2000 and 2003 is locals seem not to care about the Cup

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, WakaNZ said:

Thanks, already seen on SAAC but I can't remember where.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Xlot said:

Antonio Vettese, director of a sailing magazine, says the mood in AKL compared with 2000 and 2003 is locals seem not to care about the Cup

I imagine interest will build some, with all the ‘Spithill vs Burling’ drama hype to come. 

30 minutes ago, WakaNZ said:

I had not seen this picture before.  Great to see.  

how does the boom interact with the traveler track? Is it fixed?  I am assuming some compression loads are transferred forwards with and the boom also provides support for the hydraulics. Any other insight?  sorry if I missed a prior discussion.  

9 hours ago, trt131 said:

Umm,  I think Aus is way ahead on apparent wind sailors.  Check out the skiff scene in Aus, let alone Moth World Champs, Cat World Champs (Gashby) and heaps more.

Tnz has gashby :-). The rest well... we can agree to disagree.

8 hours ago, Xlot said:

Well, it is true that we've one or two distractions and the build-up has been a bit hit and miss. But I think the usual Cup fever will return, especially if ETNZ starts racking up a few wins in the Match. 

Love the 360 vids. Has anyone heard a skipper (or two) sound so calm approaching some on Stbd at 35 kt then hit the start. Shame they were 2cm over

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Sailbydate said:

Well, it is true that we've one or two distractions and the build-up has been a bit hit and miss. But I think the usual Cup fever will return, especially if ETNZ starts racking up a few wins in the Match. 

Also, apart the damn global pandemic that is affecting this edition, back in those days twenty years ago, there were really a lot of teams around Auckland.

11 hours ago, Stingray~ said:

Not for the first time I regret not speaking Italian. Max is very entertaining and his take on things interesting.

12 minutes ago, Paddywackery said:

Not for the first time I regret not speaking Italian. Max is very entertaining and his take on things interesting.

Not a bad language to learn! Here to help, in case.

Does Youtube permit something like automatic caption and on the fly translation combined? That would be interesting

5 minutes ago, strider470 said:

Does Youtube permit something like automatic caption and on the fly translation combined? That would be interesting

I didn't know, it's already there!

I tried with the video of Max and it works.

traduzione.JPG.ec252a3de075b5f62749ff2cc799148e.JPG

https://ignitevisibility.com/how-to-easily-translate-youtube-videos-in-new-languages/

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Sailbydate said:

I'm sure Kiwis will get more excited once the match starts. However if ETNZ is as dominant as some expect then it might well be over within a week.

3 minutes ago, marlowe said:

I'm sure Kiwis will get more excited once the match starts. However if ETNZ is as dominant as some expect then it might well be over within a week.

As Checco said, "the Kiwis will need to jump over our heads to win the Cup" :)

1 minute ago, strider470 said:

Checco's quite short isn't he? :D

• Like 3

Just now, marlowe said:

Checco's quite short isn't he? :D

ahahahah I get your point :)

12 hours ago, trt131 said:

At their last attempt at an AC they did the opposite of foil. Foiling gets them above the sea, instead if under it. On the sea is just too close for their comfort...

32 minutes ago, MaxHugen said:

Thanks!  Didn't realise that was available. :)

I see the results are quite creative :D but better than nothing :D

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, strider470 said:

I see the results are quite creative :D but better than nothing :D

Yes, Italian to English can be a bit of a giggle! :rolleyes:

1 hour ago, strider470 said:

Afraid the standard retort is : “that can be arranged” :( 

11 minutes ago, strider470 said:

I do wonder, is he is trying to lull the Kiwis into a false sense of security?

Not that I think it would work though... B)

Just now, MaxHugen said:

I do wonder, is he is trying to lull the Kiwis into a false sense of security?

Not that I think it would work though... B)

I think he is trying to be nice and he seems sincere. I know he is not exactly loved by the Kiwis.

Spithill tells that LR has been optimized for the lower range of wind.

Interestingly we were telling here a year ago that the Prada would select the best boat for light conditions while the match would favour the boat designed for stronger conditions.

Up to now the Prada, with one or two exceptions, has been held in light conditions.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tornado-Cat said:

Spithill tells that LR has been optimized for the lower range of wind.

Interestingly we were telling here a year ago that the Prada would select the best boat for light conditions while the match would favour the boat designed for stronger conditions.

True?

3 minutes ago, Dolphin65 said:

Perché?

Ci stava BENe il gioco di parole. Inoltre credo abbia poco da lamentarsi onestamente.

Per me è stata una caduta di stile che LRPP poteva risparmiarsi. 

Guys, who knows if Ben was snubbed by LRPP at the press conference because of the alleged agreement with TNZ as the next COR, which would could translate to Ratcliff's guys helping the Kiwis behind the scenes or above board?

39 minutes ago, Xlot said:

True?

Yes, we were telling that the Prada would select the best light wind boat while the match would help the defending boat designed for strong conditions, equipped  with smaller foils, the kiwi defense varied between, "it's part of the AC" to "wind conditions will be the same for the match".

48 minutes ago, Dolphin65 said:

Guys, who knows if Ben was snubbed by LRPP at the press conference because of the alleged agreement with TNZ as the next COR, which would could translate to Ratcliff's guys helping the Kiwis behind the scenes or above board?

I am sure if that had been the case they would have said so given the honor and integrity that they conduct themselves with.

47 minutes ago, Dolphin65 said:

Ratcliff's guys helping the Kiwis behind the scenes or above board?

The Frackers would have little or nothing to offer the Kiwis by way of assistance their Royal barge was a Corgi and they got comprehensively smacked by the Handbags.

When the Handbags docked out on the last Prada Cup race day they had Nickleback and AC/DC blaring on the tow home maybe this...

19 hours ago, Stingray~ said:

I imagine interest will build some, with all the ‘Spithill vs Burling’ drama hype to come. 

The interest among the general populous in NZ is never piqued until NZ are actually racing and typically it doesn't hit fever pitch until the match itself.

5 hours ago, strider470 said:

I think he is trying to be nice and he seems sincere. I know he is not exactly loved by the Kiwis.

He suffers a bit of foot in mouth syndrome like Dalts.

However he gets away with it more cos he always says it with a cheeky gingernut ozzie grin.

Smiling when you trash talk is surprisingly effective at reducing people's reaction to it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dolphin65 said:

Sicuramente, Non ho capito chi aveva steso i programmi a cosa stesse pensando, Non credo sia in malafede nè per offendere nessuno ma è stata una cazzata.

1 hour ago, JALhazmat said:

As far as I managed to pick from the various sources I read from the "winner only" presser was scheduled well before the beginning of the finals and agreed upon by all teams. Many other LV cup (or sports event) have had this setup. The COR PR contacted ITUK in the morning to make sure they were OK with it, and, of course, they weren't. So the COR changed the schedule accordingly, even admitting they made a judgement error.
All of these communications between the PRs went on in a very friendly way (at least accordingly to what Max Sirena told).
Then Ben threw this kind of a tantrum. 
(BTW in the interview above Sirena told that he, Sirena, arrived at the presser just to step in BA putting his head against the Cattani's head)

• Like 2
  • Downvote 2

4 minutes ago, Thewas said:

As far as I managed to pick from the various sources I read from the "winner only" presser was scheduled well before the beginning of the finals and agreed upon by all teams. Many other LV cup (or sports event) have had this setup. The COR PR contacted ITUK in the morning to make sure they were OK with it, and, of course, they weren't. So the COR changed the schedule accordingly, even admitting they made a judgement error.
All of these communications between the PRs went on in a very friendly way (at least accordingly to what Max Sirena told).
(BTW in the interview above Sirena told that he, Sirena, arrived at the presser just to step in BA putting his head against the Cattani's head)

Wasn't it Zidane?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Thewas said:

This makes me change my previous statement on him

In the end of the day both teams attended the news conference. Everything else is arguing over what might of been. 

4 hours ago, Thewas said:

That is not my quote

why edit it to make it look like I wrote it? Dick 

On 2/23/2021 at 12:46 AM, WakaNZ said:

Yep already posted but could you give me the link to this video ? I’d like to watch it but I can’t find it 

2 minutes ago, Zaal said:

Yep already posted but could you give me the link to this video ? I’d like to watch it but I can’t find it 

That guy is wearing pants reaching way up tight.. Enjoy! 

6 hours ago, strider470 said:

Sicuramente, Non ho capito chi aveva steso i programmi a cosa stesse pensando, Non credo sia in malafede nè per offendere nessuno ma è stata una cazzata.

Y'all gonna have us reading Italian before this over aren't you.

5 minutes ago, Varan said:

I did a quick gtrans and I am pretty sure he said, lets wait till the Kiwis are asleep and invade their sheep shagging arses.

Might have mis-read it though :D

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Varan said:

Ahahahah it was:

I don't know what was thinking the guy who prepared the plans (for that press conference). I don't think they do it in bad faith to offend anyone,  but they surely fucked up.

7 hours ago, JALhazmat said:

That is not my quote

I just happen to discover that the quotes taken from a quote frame in another post are awarded to the quoter, not to the OP.
Thank you for friendly putting my attention on it, asshole.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, JALhazmat said:

That is not my quote

The forum sometimes struggles with nested quotes. Being misquoted that way happened to others as well, me included. It's not deliberate, it's bad software coding. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Rennmaus said:

The forum sometimes struggles with nested quotes. Being misquoted that way happened to others as well, me included. It's not deliberate, it's bad software coding. 

I thought Dick was the name in the signature, not an insult.

• Like 5

23 hours ago, Paddywackery said:

Well if you want learn there are hours and hours of AC discussions on youtube. Multiple channels do pre partita and post partita (before/after race) shows, often going for up to two hours of talking heads discussion the AC,  which stretch both my language skills and my concentration span.  You can't fault the passion here!     

So I don't know what Mozzy is doing with his time, 10 minutes here, 12 minutes there... it's like he's not even trying to compete in the same league as the Italians :) 

But if the measure is information content rather that words spoken, then I think Mozzy wins.... Vittorio d'Albertas has good content, but geeeeeze him and his mates take forever to say it and then say it again and again,  but perhaps I'm lost in translation - story of my life really (except for the Scarlett Johansson part).

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, sfigone said:

Well if you want learn there are hours and hours of AC discussions on youtube. Multiple channels do pre partita and post partita (before/after race) shows, often going for up to two hours of talking heads discussion the AC,  which stretch both my language skills and my concentration span.  You can't fault the passion here!     

So I don't know what Mozzy is doing with his time, 10 minutes here, 12 minutes there... it's like he's not even trying to compete in the same league as the Italians :) 

But if the measure is information content rather that words spoken, then I think Mozzy wins.... Vittorio d'Albertas has good content, but geeeeeze him and his mates take forever to say it and then say it again and again,  but perhaps I'm lost in translation - story of my life really (except for the Scarlett Johansson part).

There's no doubting the passion which is admirable. And the conversations are like chats you would have in the pub.

1 hour ago, strider470 said:

I thought Dick was the name in the signature, not an insult.

Wasn't it? oh, shit. I Just expose my identity signing my post too.

OK, it's all nice and fun to throw some shit in the fan, but let's be back to work.
What's going to come out from LR shed?
Does the several months time advantage on the boomless main can make up for all the (supposed) less performance in LR?
How the hell can TR foil on these spaghetti wings they have in light air?

18 minutes ago, Thewas said:

OK, it's all nice and fun to throw some shit in the fan, but let's be back to work.
Does the several months time advantage on the boomless main can make up for all the (supposed) less performance in LR?

According to Max past interviews, some mods to the foils, new sails, some aero change that will be clearly visible. And asked about the backstays, Vasco Vascotto (before the Prada Cup Finals) said that it isn't over yet, they'll try to find a rule compliant way to hide them for the Match. 

3 minutes ago, Zaal said:

According to Max past interviews, some mods to the foils, new sails, some aero change that will be clearly visible. And asked about the backstays, Vasco Vascotto (before the Prada Cup Finals) said that it isn't over yet, they'll try to find a rule compliant way to hide them for the Match. 

Ah, the backstays. What will FB climb if they win? More importantly what will hold the rig up when they capsize. Is LR the only team not to tip over yet? 

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, sfigone said:

Mozzy and the Italian Guys have different styles, really like them both, but the most technical of all is Federico Albano I think. His performance analysis are simply spectacular. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Thewas said:

The most daunting task for Luna Rossa in the Christmas Race and Prada Cup was sandbagging, with just a little bit more speed than their opponent, only when needed, so to not attract too much attention. Admittedly they miscalculate the speed against Ineos. :D Now preparing the turbo mode for the AC

• Like 4

25 minutes ago, strider470 said:

The most daunting task for Luna Rossa in the Christmas Race and Prada Cup was sandbagging, with just a little bit more speed than their opponent, only when needed, so to not attract too much attention. Admittedly they miscalculate the speed against Ineos. :D Now preparing the turbo mode for the AC

That was actually going to be my next question: how much did LR sandbagged and when?
My "feeling", during race 7 and 8 of PC finals was that they went into some kind of "save the boat from Ben and fuck the sandbag" mode.
I may be horribly wrong but sometimes the line between being flawless under pressure and not being under pressure at all was pretty subtle.
Or ETNZ is going to be just 3kn faster in VMG and that's it.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Thewas said:

That was actually going to be my next question: how much did LR sandbagged and when?
My "feeling", during race 7 and 8 of PC finals was that they went into some kind of "save the boat from Ben and fuck the sandbag" mode.
I may be horribly wrong but sometimes the line between being flawless under pressure and not being under pressure at all was pretty subtle.
Or ETNZ is going to be just 3kn faster in VMG and that's it.

They were clearly "handbagging" :D

• Like 3

Francesco "Checco" Bruni (with his brother Gabriele "Ganga" Bruni):

The Sea is everything for me, it's my life. The Sea... At night I dream of the Sea, it's my home. My father, my mother, my grandfather, were all sailors, I think I have a little bit of salt in my veins.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Thewas said:

3 hours ago, Zaal said:

I still hold out hope that B1 comes back out of the shed, totally updated into B3.. 

What is the low hanging fruit to improve drag wise?

- bowsprit, can anything be done with it? must a boat sail in a measured condition at all times once the race has started? could it 'fall off' if connected in a manner that can take the tension loads required for the tension test, but otherwise comes out by gravity when tension is lowered (and is brought back into the boat)?

- runners

- is there scope to shield the cockpits further, e.g. between grinding stations? 

- can the afterguard get into a more protected position with additional screens to augment?

- flap hinge - are the fasteners as faired as they can be?

- can the aft 'deck' be modified to gain some of the 'bonus' sail area, even if it is concave and the bonus is only realized at the most common trim positions (at the extremes you have a foot that is more bunched?)

- should any features be borrowed from other boats - Patriot's truncated skeg? Patriot/TR's batwing main? foil arm sponson?

• Like 1

Should Alinghi become the new COR, would EB have to steal designers and crew from other teams to close the gap?

5 minutes ago, strider470 said:

Should Alinghi become the new COR, would EB have to steal designers and crew from other teams to close the gap?

No theres plenty of displacement yacht designers around, I look forward to seeing ETNZ launch SailFP as a new competition for foiling monohulls though.

• Like 1

Absolutely yes. EB is for sure very interested in this new class. I'm sure he already has a design team working on a AC75. Rolf Wrolijk maybe ? And let's not forget that Bernasconi debut on the AC was in Alinghi design team, for the Alinghi 5 catamaran. GD must be very worried, in a recent interview he talked about some "rich teams from previous AC editions" that could rob ETNZ "even before they come back to the dock". If I were EB, I would totally try to "steal"  Ashby.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, JonRowe said:

No theres plenty of displacement yacht designers around, I look forward to seeing ETNZ launch SailFP as a new competition for foiling monohulls though.

no coming back to displacement, whoever will win

Just now, strider470 said:

IMHO displacement is dead for the AC 

3 minutes ago, strider470 said:

I was mostly joking, but with Alinghi and LRPP it has the second most highest chance of coming back ;) 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, buckdouger said:

I still hold out hope that B1 comes back out of the shed, totally updated into B3.. 

What is the low hanging fruit to improve drag wise?

- bowsprit, can anything be done with it? must a boat sail in a measured condition at all times once the race has started? could it 'fall off' if connected in a manner that can take the tension loads required for the tension test, but otherwise comes out by gravity when tension is lowered (and is brought back into the boat)?

- runners

- is there scope to shield the cockpits further, e.g. between grinding stations? 

- can the afterguard get into a more protected position with additional screens to augment?

- flap hinge - are the fasteners as faired as they can be?

- can the aft 'deck' be modified to gain some of the 'bonus' sail area, even if it is concave and the bonus is only realized at the most common trim positions (at the extremes you have a foot that is more bunched?)

- should any features be borrowed from other boats - Patriot's truncated skeg? Patriot/TR's batwing main? foil arm sponson?

Yep, I think that this rule that prevents the teams from changing foils is a really limit to the development of the class. They should have the ability  to change foils the day before, so  they could design different foils for different wind conditions, like in Bermuda. The SailGP idea to change the wing for the different wind conditions is not bad too, it could be applied on the AC75. And the FCS shouldn't been one design. 

I was mostly joking, but with Alinghi and LRPP it has the second most highest chance of coming back ;) 

Max Sirena clearly said they are willing to continue with AC75. I have to admit they are better than I thought. Much better than the catamarans!

• Like 1

EB seems to be quite a fan of foiling races. Alinghi is a full foiling team at the moment. But I think he'll try to "steal" sailors, not designers. He already have his design team, that are already watching - and working - on a AC75 design. And he will buy one of the AC75 of this edition, for sure. I expect also the two boat testing to come back.  

• Like 1

Max Sirena clearly said they are willing to continue with AC75. I have to admit they are better than I thought. Much better than the catamarans!

I was a fan from day one, but I can't say why. AC75 seemed cool, that's all. I was sick and tired about cats

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Zaal said:

Yep, I think that this rule that prevents the teams from changing foils is a really limit to the development of the class. They should have the ability  to change foils the day before, so  they could design different foils for different wind conditions, like in Bermuda. The SailGP idea to change the wing for the different wind conditions is not bad too, it could be applied on the AC75. And the FCS shouldn't been one design. 

On this, I don't agree. They on purpose chose to do so to force the teams to design more all-round foils. I think they wanted to have more close racing that way. If on a day one boat chooses the wrong foils they are dead.

• Like 2

If LR doesn't win and Patrizio Bertelli is tired to play in the AC I fear EB will buy LR team (apart from the name).

I don't know if his son is as fond of sailing as Patrizio.

Just now, strider470 said:

On this, I don't agree. They on purpose chose to do so to force the teams to design more all-round foils. I think they wanted to have more close racing that way. If on a day one boat chooses the wrong foils they are dead.

Yes, it's better for the show, it's harder for designers. Still, in order to bring the AC75 project to his full potential, this could help. But you are right, the shows is very much more enjoyable with this configuration.