On 12/12/2018 at 1:28 PM, Kiwing said:

Nothing to stop these guys playing with simulators and thinking out of the box.  Maybe it has DC, Mr. America's Cup himself behind it?  Paid some money for the name? If so I hope he enjoys the ride.

I'm not sure of this, but I don't think DC has any money to speak of. His licensing deal with North Cove is long over; his books, of those that are still in print, have sold exactly 7 copies so far this year; and his website is a classic. Does use of the revered name attract some sponsor dollars? Maybe. But it is still a lot of money to raise between now and 2021 regardless of how far out of the box they can think. 

(I'm really surprised there has not been a Chinese team announced simply because of the money).

39 minutes ago, 2Newts said:

(I'm really surprised there has not been a Chinese team announced simply because of the money).

You're not the only one mate! I'm too surprised about that. I wrote about it in the "How many Challengers Thread". You absolutely nailed it: Money is there BUT maybe these guys view the AC 75 Concept as too complex for now.

^ I also thought there would be a challenger from China. There certainty is no shortage of billionaires there. But maybe a long Cup cycle is not yet a priority.  

The Chinese are not in it as there is not a boat design to copy yet.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Chainlocker said:

The Chinese are not in it as there is not a boat design to copy yet.

Odd Argument from you tbh. The Chinese just need to do what Stars & Stripes and Malta are doing. Buy a Basic Design from ETNZ and then go from there. The Money is there.

5 hours ago, dg_sailingfan said:

You're not the only one mate! I'm too surprised about that. I wrote about it in the "How many Challengers Thread". You absolutely nailed it: Money is there BUT maybe these guys view the AC 75 Concept as too complex for now.

Mrs. Newt, who is smarter and more intellectual than I, and who is in the business of international investing, says that the liquidity crunch in China is much worse than has been reported. I don't know ... what's a measly $200mm to a multi billionaire, even if those billions are less liquid than before? But then again, the Mrs. is always right, right?!?

5 hours ago, dg_sailingfan said:

Odd Argument from you tbh. The Chinese just need to do what Stars & Stripes and Malta are doing. Buy a Basic Design from ETNZ and then go from there. The Money is there.

It is sort of a joke based on emails I get from Chinese manufacturers; "send me photographs and we can produce 75% of original, send sample we can make 98% to original".

4 hours ago, 2Newts said:

But then again, the Mrs. is always right, right?!?

Correct. Always right even when wrong and life goes better when we males remember this.

4 hours ago, Colomba said:

Can we clean up the team thread titles?

AC36: Malta Altus Challenge

AC36: INEOS Team UK 

Etc...?

Yup, that would be good. I'm probably going to do one for the Brits.

5 hours ago, Colomba said:

Can we clean up the team thread titles?

AC36: Malta Altus Challenge

AC36: INEOS Team UK 

Etc...?

54 minutes ago, dg_sailingfan said:

Yup, that would be good. I'm probably going to do one for the Brits.

Can we please rename the existing threads and not start new ones for NYYC, Malta, etc? I am in favor of new ENTZ and INEOS threads since it will be nice to have separate threads for AC 35 and AC 36. 

3 minutes ago, 2Newts said:

Can we please rename the existing threads and not start new ones for NYYC, Malta, etc? I am in favor of new ENTZ and INEOS threads since it will be nice to have separate threads for AC 35 and AC 36. 

I just did a new INEOS Thread ;)