AndreasE

Connecting Raymarine SeaTalk to WiFi

Hi, 

Looking for some help before I buy. On two boats I previously sailed on I had great success installing Digital Yachts NMEA to WiFi solutions. However the boat I am sailing now has a Raymarine ST80 system. Has anyone here tried to connect a Digital Yacht (or other similar) WiFi router to a seatalk bus? would be good to have some feedback before i spend the $$$ 

I could not find anything on the DY webpage...

Thanks

Andreas

Buy the Ray ST to NMEA0183 bridge and use that as input to the DY?

We did it successfully with our ST290 system..  Raymarine used to sell a unit called e85001 that converted Seatalk1 to nmea 0183 but have discontinued it, and we happened to have one installed on the boat.    If you don't have one of those, below is from the Raymarine support forum where they recommend some other options including a Brookhouse unit, and below that is the information I got from Brookhouse before we figured out we had the e85001 on board:

eplacement for E85001 PC/SeaTalk/NMEA 0183 Interface Module
03-30-16, 01:03 PM (This post was last modified: 01-11-17 02:50 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
  Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator Offline 
Administrator
Replacement for E85001 PC/SeaTalk/NMEA 0183 Interface Module
Replacement for E85001 PC/SeaTalk/NMEA 0183 Interface Module

The E85001 PC/SeaTalk/NMEA 0183 Interface Module was retired several years ago, and Raymarine has not introduced a replacement for this device.

For applications where the system additionally includes a Raymarine MFD which has been interfaced to the SeaTalk instruments, GPS, etc., the Raymarine MFD will function as a SeaTalk to NMEA 0183 data bridge. Correspondingly, the MFD's NMEA 0183 interface may be used to interface the MFD to other NMEA 0183 devices.

For applications where the system does not additionally include a Raymarine MFD which has been interfaced to the SeaTalk instruments, the following options may be used to bridge SeaTalk to NMEA 0183:
- disconnect the SeaTalk bus from its present power source; interface the SeaTalk bus to a SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter; interface the SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter to a SeaTalkng/NMEA 2000 to NMEA 0183 data bridging device (ex. Actisense NGW-1-ISO-STNG, etc.)
- install a Brookhouse NMEA 0183 Multiplexer w/SeaTalk option

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: May 11, 2016 6:22 PM
Subject: Re: Raymarine ST290...trying to do Android tablet nmea apps
To: "Dave Simon" <davesimon313@gmail.com>
Cc: 

Dave,

Our iMux-ST product converts Seatalk1 to NMEA and allows 3 more NMEA connections of which one can be 38400 baud for AIS. It transmits the combined data stream via wifi and allows up to 16 wifi enabled devices to connect via secure TCP wifi connections. It also allows integration with an existing on-board network. And that for almost half the price of the unit you’ve bought.

I will attach pricing and ordering information.

Regards,

Wout Beekhuizen
Brookhouse
www.brookhouseonline.com
36°54.46' S 174°57.23' E

Thanks guys. So now I am a couple of steps closer. Does anyone have experience with this solution from gadget pool? Looks like a suitable replacement for the discontinued Raymarine kit.

(site note: I also like it since it is based on the ATmega128, one of the products in my portfolio at work the last 12 years and designed by my colleagues here in Trondheim :))

http://www.gadgetpool.de/bestellen/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/100

FYI also reached out to brookhouse to check if their NMEA/seatalk to WiFi can do it buy itself. Need to know if it is seatalk NG or the plain old seatalk from the ST80

ST80 is Seatalk1 (propreitary).  SeatalkNG is NMEA 2000 and trivial to interface with other things.  With ST1 you'll probably need to get an adapter from Raymarine, they do sell a ST1 to STNG adapter.

If you aren't planning on using the ST80 instrument displays anymore you could hook up the existing transducers to a ITC-5 (which is a transducer to SeatalkNG converter box).  If you still want instrument displays you could get one or two i70s displays to go along with the ITC-5.  That is a pretty nice upgrade that keeps the existing hard to install parts (depth, speed, wind transducers) and gives you modern electronics to go with them.  I did that on my boat last year.

Shipmodul wifi multiplexer has a SeaTalk(1) input port.  It may be an option that you have to specify when ordering, IIRC.  

I also have a E85001 + usb adapter that will go up on Ebay when I get around to it.  pm if interested.

If you can find an old ST60 Multi, it'll convert a limited set of Seatalk1 strings to NMEA0183 and vice versa:

Depth DBT

Heading, deviation and variation HDG

Magnetic heading HDM

Water temperature MTW

Water speed and heading VHW

Wind speed and angle MWV

Try www.actisense.com for Seatalk to NMEA

I have an iMux-ST from Brookhouse. Very nice little piece of gear - works great on our boat.

The unit has 4 inputs and 2 outputs. Input #1 is either Seatalk or NMEA0183. Obviously, I use it for Seatalk - and use the Seatalk to power the unit as well. I also have input for AIS and DSC from my VHF, and one currently-unused input that I may use for a standby GPS in the future.

I'm using the two outputs to have one output of GPS data to the VHF, and one output of NMEA 0183 data to chartplotter.

All of the data is available on the wifi which I use with OpenCPN. I can also use OpenCPN to output data back to the iMux which can be sent (for example) to my AP for steering. The one key is that the iMux does not output Seatalk - but it works just fine in my setup as I can either wire an iMux output to the input for my AP (don't currently do this, as I do the next option) or just let the output from my computer get sent to the old Raymarine Chartplotter, which seamlessly puts it back out on Seatalk.

Clear as mud?

In the end, the iMux has been a great product for me - definitely recommended, and their tech support is first-rate as well.

Closing this thread. Installed the Brookhouse. Works like a charm, easy to connect to the messy ST290 system with a mix of analog and digital on board.

would have been a real easy job if only I did not place a screw through the cable to the cockpit displays when I reassembled the cupboard where the CPU was placed :/

Well, one more cable to replace

We used vyacht.net cheap and worked with out ST60 or ST80? can't remember, but I could also attach the AIS from our VHF radio and have all the readouts on tablet and laptop via WiFi. Very easy and works perfectly.

Well worth it.