• Announcements

• Zapata

Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  
AClass USA 230

Best moment of the AC35 trophy presentation.......

That would be Glenn Ashby being called to the podium as the first to speak on behalf of TNZ. He was undoubtedly the brains, motivation, and maturity of the sailing team. We A-Class sailors are so proud of you Glenn, good on you mate!

What I didn't understand is where were the yacht clubs?  The America's Cup is not a competition between teams, it is a competition between yacht clubs.  They just put the Cup out there, and then Ashby and Burling picked it up.  There wasn't so much as a mention of the yacht clubs.  

What should have happened was the Commodore of the Golden Gate Yacht Club hand it over to the Commodore of the RNZYS and then the Commodore of the RNZYS pass it to the team.  That's the way it was done in Valencia, and IIRC, in previous matches as well.

2 minutes ago, Basiliscus said:

What I didn't understand is where were the yacht clubs?  The America's Cup is not a competition between teams, it is a competition between yacht clubs.  They just put the Cup out there, and then Ashby and Burling picked it up.  There wasn't so much as a mention of the yacht clubs.  

What should have happened was the Commodore of the Golden Gate Yacht Club hand it over to the Commodore of the RNZYS and then the Commodore of the RNZYS pass it to the team.  That's the way it was done in Valencia, and IIRC, in previous matches as well.

It's a competition between yacht clubs in name only. I don't disagree that it would be symbolic for the first thing to have happened would have been to have the GGYC commodore present it to the RNZYC commodore but I still think it was very appropriate for Glenn to be the first to speak on behalf of the entire team.

14 hours ago, Azure said:

I personally liked when they sent the duffel bags into the crowd. 

I was kinda shocked, there could have been thousands of $$$ worth of goodies in them.

But NZHerald reports the bags alone were worth $3k :ph34r:

Indeed.

I loved it when Rachel Sawden stripped naked before presenting the trophy. Oh hang on, that was my dream.Oops! 

4 hours ago, jaysper said:

I loved it when Rachel Sawden stripped naked before presenting the trophy. Oh hang on, that was my dream.Oops! 

There you go again. Well and truly smitten I say.

I loved it when they let off those $5 sparklers on either side of the stage and had some shit as dumb ass air blowers at the back, what the fuck they were for I'm still trying to work out!!

Oh and when no one handed the cup to GA, he just had to pick it up himself...strange!!

14 hours ago, **ONTOIT** said:

I loved it when they let off those $5 sparklers on either side of the stage and had some shit as dumb ass air blowers at the back, what the fuck they were for I'm still trying to work out!!

Stephen Tindall would have been shaking his head in disbelief knowing how much better his Boom Box from The Warehouse could have been better than those sparklers

Gotta love the Kiwi team they are so humble and sincere. Dalton sounded tanked when he spoke and why wouldn't he be? What a superstar Burling is, long before this started it was evident to me he was something special. Even if their boat was 2% slower than USA reckon he still would have won. Exciting times for the Cup IMO with the Italians back and some integrity promised by Grant Dalton. Will be interesting to see what happens to the Oracle team? Coutts, Simmer, Jimmy, Slingsby etc. There is no chance of Jimmy ever sailing in the cup again I think unless he takes a role like Barker? Larry may have had his fun and be happy to move on. Which then begs the question who will ever beat the Kiwis?

15 hours ago, **ONTOIT** said:

Oh and when no one handed the cup to GA, he just had to pick it up himself...strange!!

Yeah, I found that TOTALLY bizarre. Why didn't the premiere/commissioner/whatever of Bermuda present it to him???

18 minutes ago, terrafirma said:

Gotta love the Kiwi team they are so humble and sincere. Dalton sounded tanked when he spoke and why wouldn't he be? What a superstar Burling is, long before this started it was evident to me he was something special. Even if their boat was 2% slower than USA reckon he still would have won. Exciting times for the Cup IMO with the Italians back and some integrity promised by Grant Dalton. Will be interesting to see what happens to the Oracle team? Coutts, Simmer, Jimmy, Slingsby etc. There is no chance of Jimmy ever sailing in the cup again I think unless he takes a role like Barker? Larry may have had his fun and be happy to move on. Which then begs the question who will ever beat the Kiwis?

1 hour ago, Yo....v said:

That was gold alright...half a bottle of champagne will do that!!

oh and slightly bigger pressers back then ah, and they really thought they were growing the sport with all this hydrolic power shit and sailing in Bermuda!

1 hour ago, jaysper said:

Yeah, I found that TOTALLY bizarre. Why didn't the premiere/commissioner/whatever of Bermuda present it to him???

Or at least JS or LE or RC...bit of a debacle the whole prize giving anyway...why give out medals for second place when the mantra was all about "there is no second place"???!!!!

Just now, **ONTOIT** said:

Or at least JS or LE or RC...bit of a debacle the whole prize giving anyway...why give out medals for second place when the mantra was all about "there is no second place"???!!!!

Yeah, one of the ORifice lads took his participation medal off before he left the stage. Can hardly blame him.

2 hours ago, **ONTOIT** said:

Perhaps the medals imprint is "1st from behind"?

On 28/06/2017 at 8:32 AM, AClass USA 230 said:

It's a competition between yacht clubs in name only. I don't disagree that it would be symbolic for the first thing to have happened would have been to have the GGYC commodore present it to the RNZYC commodore but I still think it was very appropriate for Glenn to be the first to speak on behalf of the entire team.

RNZYS Commodore Steve Mair was onstage

IMG_3103.JPG

On 6/28/2017 at 0:48 AM, Azure said:

I personally liked when they sent the duffel bags into the crowd. 

Reputedly valued at $USD3000 each ffs

20 hours ago, **ONTOIT** said:

How lame was that show. Low budget or what?

3 minutes ago, Last Post said:

Reputedly valued at $USD3000 each ffs

Yeah well they could carve Louis Vuitton on one of my dumps and find some fuckers stupid enough to pay $2000 for it.

No accounting for the stupidity of some people. 

1 hour ago, Last Post said:

How lame was that show. Low budget or what?

It was somewhat embarrassing to be honest....felt like no one gave a fuck how stupid fireworks look at 4pm in the afternoon. Thought they'd have confetti or something with the big wind blowers but nope, thought they have RC or someone of note to hand the cup over, nope, pick the fucker up yourself GA. all over rover!!

Agree, the Cup should have been presented to them - ideally from GGYC Commodore to RNZYS Commodore - but from someone regardless. Is it possible that GA, just taking cues from what the MC Tucker Thompson was saying, beat someone to it? Anyway, important thing is it was a joyous event regardless. A funny moment was when PB lifted the Cup so high that it briefly came out of the reach of GA's upstretched hands. 

Was surprised too that someone initiated the LV Bag tossing. Simple euphoria? Or targeted to a wife or gf in the crowd? Was also surprised to see the $3K quote above, since from my limited exposure to LV stores I'd have guessed a price of 3 or more times as much.

GD had a funny line during a radio interview (Hoskins?) later, about how he'd never actually touched the Cup before, doubts he had ever even been within 50m of it, and had a momentary concern during the on-stage that it would get dropped by someone and (he said something like) 'kicked around like a rugby ball.' 

That nobody presented the trophy boggles. The MC should have stayed in Vegas. The silver or second medal was embarrassing for the Oracle guys. Jimmy didn't even get one not that I'd say he's too bothered. The LV bag fuckology was a joke. There was a smack of phoneyism about the entire circus. SF was nowhere near as cringeworthy. Strange. 

8 minutes ago, Paddywackery said:

That nobody presented the trophy boggles. The MC should have stayed in Vegas. The silver or second medal was embarrassing for the Oracle guys. Jimmy didn't even get one not that I'd say he's too bothered. The LV bag fuckology was a joke. There was a smack of phoneyism about the entire circus. SF was nowhere near as cringeworthy. Strange. 

My recollection between this and San Francisco? Money and talent. No offense to Bermuda but there's a world of difference in talent available between island time media and San Francisco. In Bermuda the foreign press and coverage and event coordination spent their funds on travel, relocation and accommodation. 

Island logistics also means it's slow as hell to piece together something in the last minute. Really hurts in crunch time if you need stuff because of an oversight. 

I remember the awards ceremony in San Francisco being painful for the second place, but the event was high budget and well coordinated. Bermuda was just... well Bermuda. Come here for vacation not for work. 

After the first weekend and esp after Saturday/Sunday I imagine LE and RC just said fuck it lets stop the last minute prep and just run with what we got. They cancelled festivities last week before the race even ended no?

Good points Miffy. Yes, second place is miserable anywhere and it was very difficult in SF. I hadn't considered the Bermuda angle given that RC & Co.. staged the event and therefore can't find any fault with the locals. The setting and backdrop were perfect but the ceremony could have been much better. 

I'd like to think that there weren't any last minute changes but who knows.

As you say, the ceremony in SF was much better. 

Maybe LV ran the show as they wanted to, trinkets around necks and handbags and all, and it being the first time they've been in the position of being title sponsor of the Cup itself they weren't as aware of tradition (Club vs Club) as they should have been.

If I were the Kiwis, I'd be very careful agreeing to inherit any of the institutional stuff associated with the Cup. But a nasty surprise to find as successor in interest, you're on the hook for a bunch of unpaid creditors, venders, penalties for low ratings, etc. 

30 minutes ago, Miffy said:

If I were the Kiwis, I'd be very careful agreeing to inherit any of the institutional stuff associated with the Cup. But a nasty surprise to find as successor in interest, you're on the hook for a bunch of unpaid creditors, venders, penalties for low ratings, etc. 

No, I believe GGYC (ultimately, probably LE) is responsible for any losses. It's in the Protocol somewhere.

Guys. Anyone got a video link to the infamous LV bag tossing episode? I've only seen stills.

I so badly want to see it, I'll even beg. Anyone? Pleeeeeease?

1 hour ago, Sailbydate said:

Guys. Anyone got a video link to the infamous LV bag tossing episode? I've only seen stills.

If you want, I can just describe it to you really vividly.

No need thanks, Azure. I've got a pic, as I said and an imagination. But thanks for the offer.

4 hours ago, Sailbydate said:

Since you said "please"...

http://www.hauraki.co.nz/news/sport/team-nz-hilariously-throw-5-000-louis-vuitton-bags-into-crowd/

0:14 suggests it may have been premeditated.

You might be right Stingray, paid for and organised by LV. 

Then WTF were Russ & the rest of ACEA being paid for?

They're certainly trying to claim credit for providing spectacle & NV coverage 'improvement' (even though the TV coverage wasn't really improved vs probably SD '95)

12 hours ago, Azure said:

Since you said "please"...

http://www.hauraki.co.nz/news/sport/team-nz-hilariously-throw-5-000-louis-vuitton-bags-into-crowd/

0:14 suggests it may have been premeditated.

Many thanks, Azure.

Tucker asking, "Now gentleman, if you'll lift the bags up for a photo moment, for LV", would have been all the motivation they needed, to give them the biff.

WTF?

HA HA. Looks like Dalton himself was no1 'naughty boy' being the first the throw his LV bag into the crowd. Found this vid which shows him conferring with Matteo before launching it. Legend!

8 minutes ago, KZ-1 said:

HA HA. Looks like Dalton himself was no1 'naughty boy' being the first the throw his LV bag into the crowd. Found this vid which shows him conferring with Matteo before launching it. Legend!

Yes, several photos already suggested it too.

An intentional disrespect to Louis Vuitton? Could be, with the whole Prada/Bertelli in-bednessness. Not sure how would be a good thing to anyone else but.. shrug, whatever.

25 minutes ago, ~Stingray~ said:

An intentional disrespect to Louis Vuitton? Could be, with the whole Prada/Bertelli in-bednessness. Not sure how would be a good thing to anyone else but.. shrug, whatever.

I have to say though, they were butt fucking ugly bags!

What person in their right mind would pay $300 let alone $3000 for those pieces of garbage?

Oh well, guess its just as well I'm not a super model or whatever :D

2 hours ago, jaysper said:

I have to say though, they were butt fucking ugly bags!

What person in their right mind would pay $300 let alone $3000 for those pieces of garbage?

Oh well, guess its just as well I'm not a super model or whatever :D

It almost looks like it was perhaps talked about and planned a little to throw them in.

I agree, Ugly looking bags. Would be interested to know if they were actually filled with goodies or just filler paper.

20 minutes ago, KZ-1 said:

It almost looks like it was perhaps talked about and planned a little to throw them in.

I agree, Ugly looking bags. Would be interested to know if they were actually filled with goodies or just filler paper.

Goodies apparently. Probably a $2000 tshirt and $1000 pair of jandals.

6 hours ago, KZ-1 said:

And some voice saying: Louis Vuitton is not 'appy.

Wow, one of the Cyclors down near the far end made the motion earlier but yeah GD does the chuck first.

But unless LV is out I think it was a tribute to the crowd like with tshirt cannons etc. & not realising at all what they are worth.

LV sold its sole to RC's flying circus. Only fair that their shitty props get the toss.

Its the Commodore of RYS forlornly looking around to try to find the RNZYS Commodore to deliver the in-hand Challenge to.

The BT coverage (see replays thread) cut to this after Gashby post-race interview.

The shot was obviously set-up as some kind of sop to 'British determination' or something but it was just pathetic.

20 minutes ago, hoom said:

Its the Commodore of RYS forlornly looking around to try to find the RNZYS Commodore to deliver the in-hand Challenge to.

The BT coverage (see replays thread) cut to this after Gashby post-race interview.

The shot was obviously set-up as some kind of sop to 'British determination' or something but it was just pathetic.

sniffel . . .

2 hours ago, hoom said:

I read about that but yeah that IS pathetic. They're not stupid enough to think RNZYS didn't have this sorted so presumably they were trying to assert some sort of busted arse "moral authority ".

I'm thinking of a Trumpism that describes this *sad*

On 7/3/2017 at 1:38 PM, ~Stingray~ said:

100% this was orchestrated by Louis Vuitton themselves. I have worked in marketing long enough to know that they arranged this, and obviously so. Nothing to do with Prada or disrespecting them - they're barely in the same market (LV is tacky, conspicuous consumption goods for people who want everyone to know how much money they have to throw away. Prada is a vastly more subtle and design-driven fashion brand).

12 hours ago, bob202 said:

100% this was orchestrated by Louis Vuitton themselves. I have worked in marketing long enough to know that they arranged this, and obviously so. Nothing to do with Prada or disrespecting them - they're barely in the same market (LV is tacky, conspicuous consumption goods for people who want everyone to know how much money they have to throw away. Prada is a vastly more subtle and design-driven fashion brand).

It would almost seem that way, many of them looked like they knew what they were doing when throwing them out.