• Announcements

    • Zapata

      Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

      Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  
martin.langhoff

What was your favorite race/moment?

140 posts in this topic

I have watched many ACs and while I have enjoyed them all... IMHO this one was outstanding, and I'm so glad it's going back to NZ. Anyway, I digress, the topic is...

Which was your favorite race of the overall event - challengers, finals?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Glad you asked ;-) -- Mine was the starting box hook Peter Burling put on Jimmy Spithill.

Does anyone have a link to a video that shows the whole thing, from the initial failed hook by JS, PB sailing off, then bearing away to show how it's done? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Definitely the counterhook. 

I'm not against foiling cats per se, but I think the hydralic system limitations seriously limited starts. Except for the Kiwis, after you look at the boats and can almost see the helmsman wanting to do more but the boat can't do it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Mine was the wave from Mr Burling while pulling off the hook......

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

qQuBPcm.png

 

But also the sheer up range speed & perfect sailing in 2nd ETNZ vs OR-JPN, that was where I really started to believe ETNZ was going to win.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The "blind Jibe" by ENTZ in the final race. I must have watched it in replay a gazillion times, play, pause etc.

OR was watching them but nobody moved onboard ENTZ.

They came out of it fast and were then able to soak down in front of OR.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

ETNZ really pulled some amazing soaks through the series :)

 

That leg 2 soak in the last race must have been incredibly crushing for the OR guys.

But I think the huge leg 4 soak to pass OR on race 6 was possibly the most amazing one.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, hoom said:

ETNZ really pulled some amazing soaks through the series :)

 

That leg 2 soak in the last race must have been incredibly crushing for the OR guys.

But I think the huge leg 4 soak to pass OR on race 6 was possibly the most amazing one.

 

That leg 2 no-look gybe & soak sequence was my favorite too - then the soak/overtake sequence - the last nail in the OR coffin.

But for pure highs/lows, the video of the pitch pole and immediate aftermath was probably the thing most will remember the longest (and the whole 'rising from the ashes' 1-2 days later thing too, of course).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Difficult to find 1 moment, but I'd go for 

That'll be Russell ....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

the high wind demolition derby day.......

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Groupama Team France holding off Artemis by three seconds in the first round robin.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

yeah the no-look was mine too.. BT said last night they must have practised it 50 times

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

ETNZ out gybing OTUSA after the first mark in the last Race of the 36th Americas Cup. Right then any San Francisco comebacks were extinguished as ETNZ  sailed away and WON the Cup by having the guts to throw that ball out as far as they could and go get it with an agressive design which led to an 8-1 demolition. Damned Impressive!!!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The blind gybe. For a moment there I though they had screwed up, but then as Oracle persevered on realized it was a trick. Kudos to ETNZ for pulling it off. 

I'm surprised we did not see two other moves I anticipated.

First, during some early practise sessions there was video of ETNZ doing a tack immediately after rounding the bottom mark. Apparently their course management, and being in front most of the time, never led to them having to call for that move.

Second, I did not see anyone fake a tack or gybe, even though it have been relatively easy to do as you have two guys crossing the boat in preparation and the other boat is watching all the time. Perhaps because the racing never really got close enough, at least in the final. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Without a doubt the balls to the wall action in the 3 boat length circle port starboard with Artemis & ETNZ in the RR absolutely blew my mind. 

2 reasons.

First of all Nathan Outeridge has known for sometime what it takes to beat Burling, and you could see the intensity in how he was sailing and how he did not flinch going into that situation. He sailed it perfectly, and team nz was given a slight gift in the penalty.

Secondly, what we did not see in the regatta is a major injury, if Nathan had cut that a 1/4  BL closer the boats would have hit,  we would have seen blood and severe injuries. BAR showed us that when the boats hit, the bodies on board have no protection, nothing to keep hands, feet and heads from making contact with other boats, I know this sounds a little unreal but it is really a miracle we didn't see any injuries from the contact.

To me this showed what we were watching.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you want scary, I would say it was when ETNZ was coming down off the top mark on starboard, and OR was still coming up to the layline on starboard. For a moment it looked like neither knew which side they were going to go, and they ended up passing meters apart, and that truly was a closing speed of near 50 knots.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Jazz Freak said:

yeah the no-look was mine too.. BT said last night they must have practised it 50 times

PB said in the presser that was the first time they'd done it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, TN_Kiwi said:

PB said in the presser that was the first time they'd done it.

Just the first time they had done it in a race, they had practiced it a lot. It makes me wonder what other maneuvers they had worked out in practice but didn't feel the need to pull out of the bag. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Artemis vs ETNZ in the round robin. Best match race I've seen in a very long time.

Michele

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, martin.langhoff said:

Glad you asked ;-) -- Mine was the starting box hook Peter Burling put on Jimmy Spithill.

Does anyone have a link to a video that shows the whole thing, from the initial failed hook by JS, PB sailing off, then bearing away to show how it's done? 

Yes, I'm glad he (you asked) too :D

THAT hook is definitely the moment of the regatta for me, followed by ETNZ chasing down a 30 second BAR lead after a board/hydraulics fault.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When ETNZ tacked in the face of ORAUS coming up to I forget what mark in I forget what race. A replay of one of the RR except this time Burling made it stick. That was so cool and so precise.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not sure I can pinpoint a favourite moment, but that first race back after the pitch pole SF race 5, where ETNZ fell off the foils in the pre-start, looked like they had serious problems and I initially thought maybe their regatta was over due to gear failure after the capsize.

BAR had a 26 second lead at mark 1... Then ETNZ just reeled them in, picked some favourable shifts and managed to overtake on leg 4 or 5.

That blew me away at the time - experiencing the whole range of emotions from "man ETNZ are buggered their systems must be irreparably borked", to "how the hell did they pull that off?".

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, TheDragon said:

The blind gybe. For a moment there I though they had screwed up, but then as Oracle persevered on realized it was a trick. Kudos to ETNZ for pulling it off. 

I'm surprised we did not see two other moves I anticipated.

First, during some early practise sessions there was video of ETNZ doing a tack immediately after rounding the bottom mark. Apparently their course management, and being in front most of the time, never led to them having to call for that move.

Second, I did not see anyone fake a tack or gybe, even though it have been relatively easy to do as you have two guys crossing the boat in preparation and the other boat is watching all the time. Perhaps because the racing never really got close enough, at least in the final. 

I think there was a fake gybe of sorts in race 5.  NZ were almost to the boundary and looked like they were gybing, and Oracle went.  Kiwis carried on another 100m or so.  It was subtle, so I'm not sure if they were really going for the fake, or just soaking down, as they were close to laying the bottom mark as they approached the boundary.  But they did a little wiggle and Oracle gybed away.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The best racing by several measures happened in the Semi's between AR and SBTJ. That was hot!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The only race that OR won -- penultimate mark, where OR caught a shift and JS timed the starboard rounding perfectly so as to drive ENTZ below layline.   

Why?  It was the first time I genuinely thought OR might have the boat speed to make a real regatta out of it.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, mikewnz said:

I think there was a fake gybe of sorts in race 5.  NZ were almost to the boundary and looked like they were gybing, and Oracle went.  Kiwis carried on another 100m or so.  It was subtle, so I'm not sure if they were really going for the fake, or just soaking down, as they were close to laying the bottom mark as they approached the boundary.  But they did a little wiggle and Oracle gybed away.

I thought that was a fake too - to keep OR further off their air when ETNZ finally went. What I didn't see was anything particularly clever or creative from OR.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, DayTripper said:

When ETNZ tacked in the face of ORAUS coming up to I forget what mark in I forget what race. A replay of one of the RR except this time Burling made it stick. That was so cool and so precise.

+1 definitely. That took some real balls and showed Pete was unafraid to stick it to him. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, jaysper said:

[...] followed by ETNZ chasing down a 30 second BAR lead after a board/hydraulics fault.

I wish I could find a full recording of that one.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote

I'm not sure if they were really going for the fake, or just soaking down

Not a fake, the onboard audio has a call (PB?) 'standing by' & Gashby crosses then 'a little further', the soak took them down to the layline.

After the gybe I think Gashby calls 'what was that?'

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Mine was all those times in the Finals when Jimmy schooled PB in the box like all the experts here said he would.

That, and the flawless look away gybe followed by the deep soak on leg 2 of the last race - sheer brilliance that made OR look like a bunch of hacks.

I said to my mates watching with me, "shit, that's just twisting the knife'  when I saw it happen.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Yo....v said:

Nice work Kid .. 

1497303885546.jpg

Just goes to show, you can teach an old dog new tricks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, DayTripper said:

When ETNZ tacked in the face of ORAUS coming up to I forget what mark in I forget what race. A replay of one of the RR except this time Burling made it stick. That was so cool and so precise.

This^

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Apologies for a stupid question but can someone explain the difference between a regular and "no-look" gybe?

Presume its referring to the first leg 2 gybe when ETNZ when slightly early then rolled OR?

As for my favourite moment. Would have to go with the Burling mega hook on Spithill. Made especially important due to the idea that Burling was supposed to be out of his depth in the starts but he killed it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Folk on this site seem to think a no look tack/gybe has just been invented

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, ~Stingray~ said:

The best racing by several measures happened in the Semi's between AR and SBTJ. That was hot!

Yep. Apart from a few of the RR match ups, the rest of the racing was a snooze fest. Especially in the start box.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote

Presume its referring to the first leg 2 gybe when ETNZ when slightly early then rolled OR?

Blind gybe = blind to Oracle, ETNZ turned without sending anyone across to the other side first so OR weren't able to predict the timing.

I'm not so sure it was that important, may have contributed to OR having a not great gybe but OR were already setting up for theirs on the boundary anyway.

Key was that ETNZ nailed theirs & were able to soak down while keeping very good speed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

the OR vs etnz in the RR was pretty epic, as was ART vs ETNZ.  The come from behind passes against Art were pretty impressive.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, DayTripper said:

When ETNZ tacked in the face of ORAUS coming up to I forget what mark in I forget what race. A replay of one of the RR except this time Burling made it stick. That was so cool and so precise.

yes that was redemption moment, proved that PB was a learner.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

anyone know the total number of races. i know i watched every one. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Race 8 starting hook by ETNZ, wow!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hmmm. So many good tactical moves in this event. For myself, there were two really cool things that happened. 

1. The insufferable Australian ginger headheaded cunt-act Jimmy Spitball crying and blubbering like the lapdog bitch he is. 

2. Watching Dean Barker cry and shit his pants 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Rainbow Spirit said:

Race 8 starting hook by ETNZ, wow!

This. Still smiling.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Barnacle Bill said:

Hmmm. So many good tactical moves in this event. For myself, there were two really cool things that happened. 

1. The insufferable Australian ginger headheaded cunt-act Jimmy Spitball crying and blubbering like the lapdog bitch he is. 

2. Watching Dean Barker cry and shit his pants 

 

The journo's know what rates.  The question that got Jummy emotional on the boat was the first one asked in the Presser.  Obvious cunt act even if I don't like Spithill.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, hoom said:

Blind gybe = blind to Oracle, ETNZ turned without sending anyone across to the other side first so OR weren't able to predict the timing.

I'm not so sure it was that important, may have contributed to OR having a not great gybe but OR were already setting up for theirs on the boundary anyway.

Key was that ETNZ nailed theirs & were able to soak down while keeping very good speed.

Hmmm you hear Oracle rush when ETNZ go if you listen to their onboard audio. So probably was important.

Like so much of what happened during this cup against ETNZ it was the little things that all added up.

Almost Jedi like sailing, meant the pressure was always on the other team and invariably the other team would fail. Do you really think NO (after all that practice) would have run off the side of his boat if there was no pressure, or Oracle would be over early or over a boundary if there was no pressure. It was like watching someone play tennis against the most consistent player in the world think Federer or Djokovic. The other players lose through "unforced" errors, which are actually "forced" through pressure.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Rainbow Spirit said:

Race 8 starting hook by ETNZ, wow!

This. I smile every time I think about it. 

At that point, I knew we had them. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Last Post said:

Mine was all those times in the Finals when Jimmy schooled PB in the box like all the experts here said he would.

That, and the flawless look away gybe followed by the deep soak on leg 2 of the last race - sheer brilliance that made OR look like a bunch of hacks.

I said to my mates watching with me, "shit, that's just twisting the knife'  when I saw it happen.

Yep. That was the moment for me too. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It would be amazing if someone more technically inclined than I am could put these into a small "awesome moments" vid package.......

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

ART sailing out of control over the boundary line on the windy day.

ETNZ skipping a gybe and overtaking by heading low low low to the mark Race 6.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

21 minutes ago, eurochild said:

ART sailing out of control over the boundary line on the windy day.

ETNZ skipping a gybe and overtaking by heading low low low to the mark Race 6.

 

Had to laugh when Percy completely lost it with the umpires after the boundary penalty took ages to clear!

Edited by JMore
horrendous grammar!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Tell you what.  Just watched couple of art vs etnz and it was much much more competitive.  Close.  Aggressive.  I am convinced art would have had oracle also 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Which race was it with Nathan diving off the boat. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My favorite AC moment:
The crew of ETNZ throwing away their sissy-ass LV purses into the crowd.

"Wouldn't be caught dead carrying this through an airport!" <toss>

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, TN_Kiwi said:

PB said in the presser that was the first time they'd done it.

Holy fuck, if that's true and I've no reason to doubt him, that's amazing. I did hear him say after the race that to win they were prepared to dig very deep! Now that would have been something. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, jaysper said:

Yes, I'm glad he (you asked) too :D

THAT hook is definitely the moment of the regatta for me, followed by ETNZ chasing down a 30 second BAR lead after a board/hydraulics fault.

That hunting of BAR was exceptional. The calm when the boat was stopped, the lack of panic and then the chase. Magnificent!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/27/2017 at 8:06 AM, TN_Kiwi said:

But for pure highs/lows, the video of the pitch pole and immediate aftermath was probably the thing most will remember the longest (and the whole 'rising from the ashes' 1-2 days later thing too, of course).

Yep, that's mine by far. Seeing all the carbon fiber shedding during the high wind day was very memorable too though.

Honorable mention to the first TF win as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The pitchpole and the incredible recovery. 

The hook at the start sequence picking Jimmy's pocket. 

The tack on top of Oracle rounding the mark. 

The blind gybe and subsequent soak. 

I could go on ..... so I will. 

NO's and Percy's sheer courage and determination. 

SoftBank's habit of losing good leads. 

BAR's arrogance. 

Sean Regan hugging the America's Cup. 

Matteo, when asked about how much money he put into ENTZ replying that it wasn't about the money, it was all about the people. 

A montage of all the great moments would be a bestseller. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, random said:

The journo's know what rates.  The question that got Jummy emotional on the boat was the first one asked in the Presser.  Obvious cunt act even if I don't like Spithill.

 

Journo hacks,  like Clean have no moral compass. They're interested in one thing, and one thing only. Makeing themselves famous at the sensationalised expense of their subjects. 

Let's face it. Failed, washed up journos become sports reporters. The particularly bad journos, the homos, the drunks or the good looking dumb girls with a generous attitude toward their pussy, become weather presenters. 

MO. 

Target your subject for a confession or reaction. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Qman said:

anyone know the total number of races. i know i watched every one. 

 

After the 10 (?) Qualifier races, during the Semi's, Finals, and Match there were:

31 Races started that resulted in a Win. So.. a lot!

ETNZ went 18-5.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, ~Stingray~ said:

After the 10 (?) Qualifier races, during the Semi's, Finals, and Match there were:

31 Races started that resulted in a Win. So.. a lot!

ETNZ went 18-5.

 

There were 30 qualifier races, 15 in each round robin.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Anyone have the blind gybe on youtube?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Handy right now, since someone asked me the question:

Bracket    Avg_Wind_Speed
SemiFinal    15.44
Final            12.55
Match            9.49

Bracket    Avg_Speed
SemiFinal    29.40
Final            28.45
Match          25.15

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, marlowe said:

There were 30 qualifier races, 15 in each round robin.

Thanks, may get around to (re)loading all that data too in due course.

61 Races then! 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Paddywackery said:

Holy fuck, if that's true and I've no reason to doubt him, that's amazing. I did hear him say after the race that to win they were prepared to dig very deep! Now that would have been something. 

First time they'd used it in an actual race. They'd practiced it many many times, PB also said.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Sailbydate said:

First time they'd used it in an actual race. They'd practiced it many many times, PB also said.

Thanks for the clarity, nonetheless, a masterful move flawlessly executed when it mattered most. 

I think they'd a few moves up their sleeves. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My favourite race moment was when the download for the morning fired up, with the start only minutes away.  I was excited every time.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, random said:

My favourite race moment was when the download for the morning fired up, with the start only minutes away.  I was excited every time.

 

+ 10000

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Big Show said:

Anyone have the blind gybe on youtube?

I'd like to see more of it.  What I have is watching the OR at the time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The no-look gybe is not included (just a few secs immediately following) but the  highlights in this one are pretty good anyway

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Crossing the finish line on the last race was also telling.  NZ soaked down and crossed on both foils, the US drifted across after falling off theirs. No better metaphor for the difference between them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, TN_Kiwi said:

.................What I didn't see was anything particularly clever or creative from OR.

Culture of copy and catch up, you are not going to see anything more clever than the direction the others were going anyway .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Big Show said:

Anyone have the blind gybe on youtube?

There's a link on the Team NZ thread which is the official race broadcast. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1. The prestart hook in race 8

2. the no-look jibe

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Groupama Team France doing buffalo gerl / horyzon job on GBR at top mark

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, snaerk said:

Groupama Team France doing buffalo gerl / horyzon job on GBR at top mark

My favorite moments involved GTF too. That, and the terrific SemiFinals between AR and SBTJ. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was gutted that I missed TF's win over Artemis on day 2 - after day 1 I didn't think we see them be competitive in a single race (was in a state of disbelief when I saw the result come up on screen).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Behind at the start in the BAR race where TNZ had a technical issue with their foil control (just after the capsize).

PB: "Right, let's reel them in"

and they did!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Barnyb said:

Behind at the start in the BAR race where TNZ had a technical issue with their foil control (just after the capsize).

PB: "Right, let's reel them in"

Yes, that was a pretty big AC35 moment.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Right after race 9 of the finals in the on-boat interview with Jimmy Spithill when he was talking about how hard the whole team had worked/how proud he was etc and you could hear in his voice he was basically crying. Few things give me more pleasure than seeing a fuckwit's ego crushed publicly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, bob202 said:

Few things give me more pleasure than seeing a fuckwit's ego crushed publicly.

Wow. You need help!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, ~Stingray~ said:

Wow. You need help!

I know. How bad am I ha ha... Usually I would focus on a sporting moment but when it's a guy whose spent years gloating, giving advice, trying to rip shreds off the guys who just beat them - plus was as bad a sport as you can imagine during the series with his comments towards ETNZ - I was quite pleased to see him so crushed after the defeat.

His graciousness later in the press conference means nothing to anyone who has a lot of experience playing sport. You don't judge a sportsperson by how they act when they've been destroyed - being nice is easy at that point - you judge them by how they act when they win. And Spithill made Ricky Ponting look humble by comparison. That's why I gained enjoyment from that moment - not because I think it's OK to kick people when I think there's a mental battle to be won like Spithill has for years and years.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

An alternative viewpoint 

America's Cup victor Grant Dalton makes defeated Jimmy Spithill look good

Putting your opponent down to make yourself feel better is bad enough. Putting your opponent down when they're already down, having lost a treasured trophy their job depended on might well be deemed a cheap shot.

https://i.stuff.co.nz/sport/opinion/94129626/Americas-Cup-victor-Grant-Dalton-makes-defeated-Jimmy-Spithill-look-good

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, ~Stingray~ said:

An alternative viewpoint

As I said, only people who have played a lot of sport would see Spithill's post-loss comments and recognise them in the broader context of how he's acted previously. It is easy to be gracious when you have had a week to prepare for an incoming loss. Oracle truly knew they were on a hiding to nothing after the first weekend no matter what they said. What is hard is to be a good winner when you think you're the bee's knees. People who write these sort of articles see things in too narrow a context and judged Spithill's words at face-value without considering how he's been a consistently poor sport and bad winner in particular.

Only in the very last moments did he rein his bullshit in and be nice. That is how I know his graciousness in losing this cup is not the measure of who he really is as a sportsman.

Simply: When he had been thrashed and basically had no choice but to be nice right at the end he was nice. When he did have a choice he was a nasty piece of work on dozens of occasions.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, ~Stingray~ said:

Yes, that was a pretty big AC35 moment.

I'm trying to find a whole recording of that race. Any ideas?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

^ Have you checked race replays thread and YouTube?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, ~Stingray~ said:

You took JS very seriously, apparently! 

I ignore him most of the time actually (which is why I loved Burling's *give zero fucks* approach to the needles in the press conferences). I just have played so much sport in my life I am very aware of when someone is a bad sport at heart and Spithill without doubt is a bad sport. A couple of nice words after a spanking doesn't alter that.

Enjoy this direct quote from Jimmy only days before the AC finals. The only thing you can give him credit for it accurately predicting his own future performance. :lol:

Jimmy2.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, bob202 said:

Simply: When he had been thrashed and basically had no choice but to be nice right at the end he was nice. When he did have a choice he was a nasty piece of work on dozens of occasions.

^

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I actually pity anyone who watched the LV series and the A.C. and took Jimmy losing it as their favourite moment.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, KoW said:

^ Have you checked race replays thread and YouTube?

The only one I've been able to find is about nine minutes worth recorded by Rudder in the Replayed Races thread. I'd really like to find a full version but have not been able to do so.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, KoW said:

I actually pity anyone who watched the LV series and the A.C. and took Jimmy losing it as their favourite moment.

I enjoyed the racing far more... I just don't consider whole races as "moments".

Maybe Burling saying "good to see some fight out of these guys" was another highlight! A perfectly delivered comment which was as nice as it was ruthless.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, KoW said:

I actually pity anyone who watched the LV series and the A.C. and took Jimmy losing it as their favourite moment.

I agree wholeheartedly.

Jimmy it 100% pure cock and he deserves a kick in the guts as much as anyone, HOWEVER:

 

1. All my pleasure from the AC match was from ETNZ's victory NOT Orifices loss - although I was pleased that they no longer were in a position to drive the direction of the cup. 

2.I really would have preferred that Dalton had demonstrated that he was the bigger man.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, ~Stingray~ said:

An alternative viewpoint 

America's Cup victor Grant Dalton makes defeated Jimmy Spithill look good

Putting your opponent down to make yourself feel better is bad enough. Putting your opponent down when they're already down, having lost a treasured trophy their job depended on might well be deemed a cheap shot.

https://i.stuff.co.nz/sport/opinion/94129626/Americas-Cup-victor-Grant-Dalton-makes-defeated-Jimmy-Spithill-look-good

You reference the importance of not having a dig at someone when their defeat means their job could be on the line. Pretty sure I remember JS offering his personal recommendations on NZ national radio about who should replace GD as CEO of ETNZ. 

If I remember, GD had neither stepped down, nor was planning to. JS shouldn't have offered an opinion. 

I think GD was very polite in his response during the presser.

But at the same time I'm not a big advocate for revenge as other people here expressed a taste for. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, mrdobalina said:

You reference the importance of not having a dig at someone when their defeat means their job could be on the line. Pretty sure I remember JS offering his personal recommendations on NZ national radio about who should replace GD as CEO of ETNZ. 

If I remember, GD had neither stepped down, nor was planning to. JS shouldn't have offered an opinion. 

I think GD was very polite in his response during the presser.

But at the same time I'm not a big advocate for revenge as other people here expressed a taste for. 

 

 

Just because Jimmy is a cunt, doesn't mean Dalton had to act like one too.

I'm not excusing Jimmy's behaviour (not remotely), but there is a certainly level of statesmanship (that Blake had in spades) in rising above pettier minds.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

^ You're hardly a paragon of good virtues and values mate, so I find this convo slightly weird. 

However, expecting GD to bite his tongue is as silly as expecting a lion to not maul you if you enter their territory. 

He is who he is. A winner on his terms. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, jaysper said:

Just because Jimmy is a cunt, doesn't mean Dalton had to act like one too.

I'm not excusing Jimmy's behaviour (not remotely), but there is a certainly level of statesmanship (that Blake had in spades) in rising above pettier minds.

To be clear, I'm not defending Dalton here. I'm pointing out that Spithill's long track-record of being an unsporting, vindictive asshole isn't wiped clean by a couple of niceties after a one-sided spanking (to anyone other than those who've never understood what it really means to be a good-faith competitor in sports.)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now