• Announcements

• Zapata

Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  
martin.langhoff

What was your favorite race/moment?

140 posts in this topic

8 minutes ago, bob202 said:

To be clear, I'm not defending Dalton here. I'm pointing out that Spithill's long track-record of being an unsporting, vindictive asshole isn't wiped clean by a couple of niceties after a one-sided spanking (to anyone other than those who've never understood what it really means to be a good-faith competitor in sports.)

No problem with that. My first comment about Jimmy was that it is a lot easier to be gracious when you are on the wrong end of an arse whooping.

49 minutes ago, ~Stingray~ said:

You took JS very seriously, apparently! 

So why do you take what Dalton said seriously.

7 hours ago, bob202 said:

Right after race 9 of the finals in the on-boat interview with Jimmy Spithill when he was talking about how hard the whole team had worked/how proud he was etc and you could hear in his voice he was basically crying. Few things give me more pleasure than seeing a fuckwit's ego crushed publicly.

Enjoyed watching him lose.

Watching a very competitive guy upset  after losing I can do without. 

7 hours ago, KoW said:

I actually pity anyone who watched the LV series and the A.C. and took Jimmy losing it as their favourite moment.

x10^6

Not sertin I can spel sowsyopath but I shore can smel it 

Sumtymz it gets pritty fetid in here

An alternative viewpoint 

Get bent, that hack just paraphrased your & Jayspers' comments from here to make a shock headline.

The 3 of you are about the only people upset with GDs' mid-celebration not caring for Jimmies feelings.

17 hours ago, mrdobalina said:

You reference the importance of not having a dig at someone when their defeat means their job could be on the line. Pretty sure I remember JS offering his personal recommendations on NZ national radio about who should replace GD as CEO of ETNZ. 

If I remember, GD had neither stepped down, nor was planning to. JS shouldn't have offered an opinion. 

I think GD was very polite in his response during the presser.

But at the same time I'm not a big advocate for revenge as other people here expressed a taste for. 

Norquay's a fuckwhit. Just shows he's a spectator. 

11 minutes ago, mrdobalina said:

^ who's Norquay?

See post #97. I imagined you'd read the article he wrote. I'm suggesting he wouldn't have any fucking idea.

30 minutes ago, Sailbydate said:

See post #97. I imagined you'd read the article he wrote. I'm suggesting he wouldn't have any fucking idea.

Gotya - didn't catch who wrote it. But it seems he's writing for eyeballs - just look at the number of comments and the overwhelming number that support GD.

He wrote this (below) and conveniently left out that JS was the first to take things 'off the water' and into the public domain with the interview with Veitch on Sport where he offered suggestions for GD's replacement.

"Spithill has poked the borax at New Zealand in the past. Of course he has needled Dalton. But with him what happened on the water on Tuesday stayed on the water."

1 minute ago, mrdobalina said:

Gotya - didn't catch who wrote it. But it seems he's writing for eyeballs - just look at the number of comments and the overwhelming number that support GD.

He wrote this (below) and conveniently left out that JS was the first to take things 'off the water' and into the public domain with the interview with Veitch on Sport where he offered suggestions for GD's replacement.

"Spithill has poked the borax at New Zealand in the past. Of course he has needled Dalton. But with him what happened on the water on Tuesday stayed on the water."

Yep. As I said, no fucking idea.

On 3/07/2017 at 2:25 PM, bob202 said:

To be clear, I'm not defending Dalton here. I'm pointing out that Spithill's long track-record of being an unsporting, vindictive asshole isn't wiped clean by a couple of niceties after a one-sided spanking (to anyone other than those who've never understood what it really means to be a good-faith competitor in sports.)

True, he could fit into the Oz cricket team without a twitch.

On 7/4/2017 at 9:24 AM, mrdobalina said:

That's because Jimmy was dumped on by Ellison and Coutts who sent him out to the presser on his own, and he knew he had nothing left to fire at ETNZ and/or Dalton so took the route of seeking public sympathy by his effusive praise of his conquerors. As someone else mentioned, it's a lot easier to be "gracious" in defeat after being humbled on the water.

Good luck to Jimmy - wherever he ends up next.

There's plenty to look back on and enjoy. AC35 was more than just a regatta Emirates Team New Zealand won. There was redemption in the win and amongst all sorts of other great overcomes there was the efforts put in by the shore team. For me, Sean Regan stands out as a favorite person in this team. I understand that in order to achieve this win the whole team must work as a unit and no one team member should be pulled forward to have accolades sloshed upon them but, this is my choice, so I'll go ahead and make it. 

The respect shown to Sean by the sailors as this point was telling. His dedication and commitment to getting the boat to the sailors on time, repaired when they broke it and ready to race in competitive condition, day after day is all paid back in this moment of emotion and naked truth. The love and respect the entire team has for Sean has been earned through his hard work and incredible abilities. 

Good on you Sean. This was favorite moment of AC 35.

RH_ETNZ_170626_43696-04.jpeg

My latest fav moment was watching the boat being hauled out to the strains of Poi E.  I'm an Ozy but that was an awesome combination.

43 minutes ago, Barnacle Bill said:

There's plenty to look back on and enjoy. AC35 was more than just a regatta Emirates Team New Zealand won. There was redemption in the win and amongst all sorts of other great overcomes there was the efforts put in by the shore team. For me, Sean Regan stands out as a favorite person in this team. I understand that in order to achieve this win the whole team must work as a unit and no one team member should be pulled forward to have accolades sloshed upon them but, this is my choice, so I'll go ahead and make it. 

The respect shown to Sean by the sailors as this point was telling. His dedication and commitment to getting the boat to the sailors on time, repaired when they broke it and ready to race in competitive condition, day after day is all paid back in this moment of emotion and naked truth. The love and respect the entire team has for Sean has been earned through his hard work and incredible abilities. 

Good on you Sean. This was favorite moment of AC 35.

RH_ETNZ_170626_43696-04.jpeg

Burling did comment afterwards that it was good that the first to drink from the cup was Sean

On 7/3/2017 at 1:50 PM, bob202 said:

I ignore him most of the time actually (which is why I loved Burling's *give zero fucks* approach to the needles in the press conferences). I just have played so much sport in my life I am very aware of when someone is a bad sport at heart and Spithill without doubt is a bad sport. A couple of nice words after a spanking doesn't alter that.

Enjoy this direct quote from Jimmy only days before the AC finals. The only thing you can give him credit for it accurately predicting his own future performance. :lol:

Jimmy2.jpg

I'm with you Bob202

48 minutes ago, Barnyb said:

I'm with you Bob202

Nope. I just cannot stand the guy. 

On 6/28/2017 at 9:11 PM, Rainbow Spirit said:

Race 8 starting hook by ETNZ, wow!

This, accompanied by the on board audio of an Australian voice loudly saying "fuck" when they realised they were screwed. 

1 hour ago, minimumfuss said:

This, accompanied by the on board audio of an Australian voice loudly saying "fuck" when they realised they were screwed. 

Hahahaahahaaaaa ... that was slingers when they ran out of oil at the bottom mark.  Very un-Australian of him!

12 hours ago, Indio said:

This...

Uncle_Larry.jpg.075065313ff5d4cee7cb2cc5af9351ed.jpg

Can we get some weight forward please guys?

21 minutes ago, nav said:

Can we get some weight forward please guys?

Imagine poor Jimmy looking over and seeing those arms folded across the chests and the rather sombre demeanours?

In a dark sort of a way, some of my favourite moments were Nathan explaining that because they were winning the starts they were likely to win. The other one was when the parallax issue was finally resolved.

2 hours ago, DayTripper said:

In a dark sort of a way, some of my favourite moments were Nathan explaining that because they were winning the starts they were likely to win. The other one was when the parallax issue was finally resolved.

parallax issue ?

Early footage during practise of ETNZ and BAR sort of side by side video'd from a fixed point with big telephoto (by MyislandhomeBDA). The apparent scene was of ETNZ being smoked by BAR, from which many found hilarity with observations that parallax error (and telephoto effect) made determining what had happened problematic.

Around here, give or take, this one is Team_GBR's effort...

Link to a post example.

And this might be the vid, from about 1:10 or so...

One of my favourites was when ETNZ fluffed a tack on 2nd beat in the stronger wind vs BAR in QF day2.

It looked like things were going pear-shaped in a big, scary way :ph34r:

S925UbS.png

At least expected a nasty splash-down with big speed loss but then they just eased down into perfect flat flight at 24+kt.

xVoWHyN.png

I think they actually got roll-tack acceleration out of it ^_^

Bottomed out 18.3kt briefly in the turn & still were 19-20kt while it was ugly vs BAR 15.1kt bottom, took BAR ages to get back over 20.

On 12/07/2017 at 7:59 PM, DayTripper said:

..... many found hilarity with observations that parallax error (and telephoto effect) made determining what had happened problematic.....

thanx for that

Rewatching the recordings, another blissful moment. In the first race, a plaintive remark from someone on Oracle that the helicopter is too low. One knew then that the butthurt was stinging.

1. Race 8 hook, at 47 seconds to go Jimmy cries out "FFS"!

2. The no look tacks. There were a few.

3. Kyle Langfords rope.

There did not seem to be any science to langfords sheet movements.  He just moved it in and out, seemingly randomly, consuming energy.

On 24/07/2017 at 1:20 AM, hoom said:

One of my favourites was when ETNZ fluffed a tack on 2nd beat in the stronger wind vs BAR in QF day2.

It looked like things were going pear-shaped in a big, scary way :ph34r:

S925UbS.png

At least expected a nasty splash-down with big speed loss but then they just eased down into perfect flat flight at 24+kt.

xVoWHyN.png

I think they actually got roll-tack acceleration out of it ^_^

Bottomed out 18.3kt briefly in the turn & still were 19-20kt while it was ugly vs BAR 15.1kt bottom, took BAR ages to get back over 20.

Are those photos in the wrong sequence?

33 minutes ago, random said:

Are those photos in the wrong sequence?

Assuming that the gin palace was stationary the photos were taken from a moving vessel that was going a little bit faster than ETNZ.

Yeah the camera is doing kinda odd things in that shot, causes odd paralax on the boat in the background.

Finally figured out how to get the windows movie thing to make a short <insert image of person proud of doing something technical thats actually pretty easy>

On 6/28/2017 at 0:16 AM, martin.langhoff said:

Glad you asked ;-) -- Mine was the starting box hook Peter Burling put on Jimmy Spithill.

Does anyone have a link to a video that shows the whole thing, from the initial failed hook by JS, PB sailing off, then bearing away to show how it's done? 

I agree with this, you can hear JS seeing this about to happen and yells FFS!...Haha

There was a clip in the hype video pre-race, race 7&8 where Pete says his funny comment "Good to see a bit of fight outta these boys" and then Jimmy replies "Its only just beginning mate" then there's a double loop of Pete laughing. The way it is put together makes it seem like Pete is laughing at Jimmy's comment lol

5 hours ago, sclarke said:

There was a clip in the hype video pre-race, race 7&8 where Pete says his funny comment "Good to see a bit of fight outta these boys" and then Jimmy replies "Its only just beginning mate" then there's a double loop of Pete laughing. The way it is put together makes it seem like Pete is laughing at Jimmy's comment lol

He was.