• Announcements

• Zapata

Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  
JFWilson

American YC Fall Series and Leukemia Cup

NOR has been posted on Yachtscoring for the American Yacht Club Fall Series & Leukemia Cup. Some things to take note of with respect to the Leukemia Cup:

1.       A case of Gosling’s Rum will be awarded to the one-design class raising the most money for the Leukemia Cup.

2.       Boats racing on the Navigator’s Course on September 23rd can improve their time allowance by 1 sec/mile for every $100 raised

3.       Discounts on North Sails for certain fundraising thresholds

4.       Fun dinner/auction (casual) the night of the 23rd with free Dark ‘n Stormies, wine and beer. Music by The Chad Hollister Band. Free ticket for those raising over $500.

Hope you can join us and help support a good cause. More info at www.leukemiacup.org 

(See website and NOR for details and conditions on the above)

2017_ayc_fall_regatta.png

2017 American Yacht Club Fall Regatta & Leukemia Cup American Yacht Club Rye, NY, USA September 23, 24 // Sep 30 & Oct 01, 2017

97 on the Entry List so far (including boats only participating in the Leukemia Cup)

Good numbers in some of the OD classes, a little light in IRC.

For those of you who skipped out on the Leukemia Cup party last year, I would encourage you all to participate this year.  Great party and an easy way to give to a great cause.

The Auction items include a week at Ocean Reef. Think that might need to come with a caveat. IIRC Key Largo got hit hard.

5 hours ago, Swabbie said:

Looks like a dying northerly tomorrow afternoon.  
Is this just a rumor?   

NOR Addendum No. 2: 'Boats being pulled off of sandbars by outside mechanical means, Towboat/US, or CIPF  (City Island Porgy Fisherman) will be scored DNF.  This does not change any rules in RRS  2017 -2020'.

LOL, you are out of your mind

20 hours ago, Swabbie said:

Looks like a dying northerly tomorrow afternoon. 

Shodu be goode enuff to run oune or to races.                                 :)

20 hours ago, jesposito said:

LOL, you are out of your mind

So it took you 17 years and him posting under like 2-300 screen names to figure that out?

I will say I miss Assman and  LI Sailor Kid.... and of course who could ever forget Sandy Vag?

Absolutely fruit loops though. Fully certified. Gonna make a great YRA president.

2 hours ago, BillDBastard said:

So it took you 17 years and him posting under like 2-300 screen names to figure that out?

I will say I miss Assman and  LI Sailor Kid.... and of course who could ever forget Sandy Vag?

Absolutely fruit loops though. Fully certified. Gonna make a great YRA president.

What about Philo?

5 hours ago, BillDBastard said:

Wassentte Dishonneste Assholle oune to?

The J105 loulou was DSQs from all races on Saturday due to a J105 helmsman class rule violation.  Rumor has it that said "illegal helmsman" was a 16-year old girl (albeit an extremely skilled one), and the owner of loulou was aboard loulou.  

Can anyone confirm or deny that set of facts?  105 class rules are what they are, but this seems like a protest of the worst kind by Revelation if the info on yachtscoring is accurate and the rumor is true.  

2 hours ago, SW Dropout said:

The J105 loulou was DSQs from all races on Saturday due to a J105 helmsman class rule violation.  Rumor has it that said "illegal helmsman" was a 16-year old girl (albeit an extremely skilled one), and the owner of loulou was aboard loulou.  

Can anyone confirm or deny that set of facts?  105 class rules are what they are, but this seems like a protest of the worst kind by Revelation if the info on yachtscoring is accurate and the rumor is true.  

Another black eye for the sport.

Total disgrace!

The owner of Revelation should be ashamed of himself for protesting because he was getting beat by a 16 year old girl.

Fucking embarrassment!

Yes - that was the talk in the J109 fleet on Sunday - They changed drivers Sunday and got a 3rd out of 16 beating Revelation by two places....

8 hours ago, jesposito said:

Total disgrace!

The owner of Revelation should be ashamed of himself for protesting because he was getting beat by a 16 year old girl.

Fucking embarrassment!

Dossente the LouLou guye hase evreyoune's in classe contacte info?  He coud of floatted the idea foure aproovalle.  Reve didde what allotta peopel woud do.

20 hours ago, jesposito said:

Total disgrace!

Fucking embarrassment!

Yeah, it's one of those times where even if you know the rule technically backs you up, discretion is the better part of valor.

Good on Loulou for their Sunday performance though, those conditions were brutal.

espo wrote: "Another black eye for the sport. Total disgrace! The owner of Revelation should be ashamed of himself for protesting because he was getting beat by a 16 year old girl. Fucking embarrassment!"

When my brother was 17, he ran in a local road race as an adult, because he thought that would be fairer to the others in the under 18 class.  He won, and a local neurologist who was 35, and an avid runner protested him, so he could get the Blue Ribbon. This was just a local townie thing put on by the Park and Recs group.  Total asshole move, like this one here!

Glad to see AYC correct what was done. My hats off to them!

Yes, there are rules to follow, but the kid is not a pro her father is the boss of the owner of Lou Lou.

It's not the classes NA's, who gives a shit 

18 hours ago, jesposito said:

Glad to see AYC correct what was done. My hats off to them!

Yes, there are rules to follow, but the kid is not a pro her father is the boss of the owner of Lou Lou.

It's not the classes NA's, who gives a shit 

Well I don't know. Rules should be enforced. I agree that Revelation went about this wrong. That said PB brought in what is clearly a very good driver. Lots of people want the best driver onboard to drive, right? But PB should have asked for a waiver from the local 105 class. They did this a few years back to allow some non-owning pros to race on the boats that needed help getting up to speed, so there is precedent for such a waiver. Short of that wavier PB should probably retire. 

Next thing you know some might think its okay to get pulled off the beach and continue racing!

Interesting story. Let's break it down.

1) A professional sail maker deliberately breaks the rules. Can't claim ignorance when your paycheck on the line. Good intentions and all that but doesn't change what happened. 

2) Someone protests the deliberate violation because they get beaten. Could have done it in the first race when Lou Lou finished ahead of them. 5 and 6 were the places according to yacht scoring. If you see something, say something, right?

3) Is someone going to protest Young American? I heard the bow person took a knee at the start..

If I had to guess, they were reinstated because, if the "cat 3 professional driver" in question was in fact 16 years old, she couldn't have been a pro. ISAF 22.2.1 (b)(i) "a competitor who is under 18 years of age is a Group 1 competitor". I have no idea who the players were here so I can't say for sure, just taking a guess based on the facts (alternative facts?) listed above!

56 minutes ago, Swabbie said:

The J105 class rule seems pretty clear (assuming they apply for this regatta).  Maybe the other competitors all agreed to waive this restriction for this regatta retroactively?  If class rules apply it looks like the guy should have requested an exemption and have it properly posted on the notice board. If no objections, no problem.    Anything after the fact always means getting caught cheati......err...... I mean sailing out of compliance. 

CREW/DRIVER w weight limit: 1045 lbs, with only 220 lbs of sole driver counting against the limit.

§7.1. w all crew must be amateurs (ISAF group 1) and can't be paid or receive financial benefit or be related to the sailing industry; exception: 100% owner who is ISAF group 3 can sail/drive.

§§ 3.1-3.9. w the driver must be at least 1/3 owner (100% if not ISAF group 1) or a ISAF group 1 who is a member of an owner's immediate family or a "long-term shipmate" of an owner.

§3.4. LTS must have sailed at least 18 races with the owner and 50% of all sail boat races (other than in dinghies) in which the owner competed in last 24 months and at least 6 race days in last 12 months.

§3.5.. w driver of a tiller boat must remain aft of the traveler (no straddling the traveler).

Let it go!

2 hours ago, Swabbie said:

The J105 class rule seems pretty clear (assuming they apply for this regatta).  Maybe the other competitors all agreed to waive this restriction for this regatta retroactively?  If class rules apply it looks like the guy should have requested an exemption and have it properly posted on the notice board. If no objections, no problem.    Anything after the fact always means getting caught cheati......err...... I mean sailing out of compliance. 

CREW/DRIVER w weight limit: 1045 lbs, with only 220 lbs of sole driver counting against the limit.

§7.1. w all crew must be amateurs (ISAF group 1) and can't be paid or receive financial benefit or be related to the sailing industry; exception: 100% owner who is ISAF group 3 can sail/drive.

§§ 3.1-3.9. w the driver must be at least 1/3 owner (100% if not ISAF group 1) or a ISAF group 1 who is a member of an owner's immediate family or a "long-term shipmate" of an owner.

§3.4. LTS must have sailed at least 18 races with the owner and 50% of all sail boat races (other than in dinghies) in which the owner competed in last 24 months and at least 6 race days in last 12 months.

§3.5.. w driver of a tiller boat must remain aft of the traveler (no straddling the traveler).

Was the driver the owner's daughter or something? I don't have the facts on this, just some sketchy details about someone's teenage daughter drove the boat and a Dynasty-level drama show ensued. 

In any case, I would agree that this is an instance where an email to the fleet would have been helpful. I highly doubt anyone would have refused the kid the opportunity to drive a few races.

Not a big deal at all, but if you don't ask your competitors for a pass and then break a class rule and get chucked so be it. Nobody's gonna object if you ask first...group emails tend to shame assholes into silence.