• Announcements

    • Zapata

      Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

      Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  

Recommended Posts

Auckland braces for another dose of Cup fever

With the champagne no doubt still flowing in Bermuda it's too early to say even if the America's Cup regatta is heading back to New Zealand and the City of Sails. But we can speculate, writes Alexia Russell

https://www.newsroom.co.nz/2017/06/26/36156/americas-cup-defence-auckland

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Next America’s Cup venue must be inclusive

If we don’t actively open up the waterfront for everyone to use, we risk alienating all but the most privileged from feeling included in the next Cup challenge, writes urban planner Dory Reeves

https://www.newsroom.co.nz/@future-learning/2017/06/27/36292/americas-cup-venue-must-be-inclusive

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Goff says private sector should bankroll America's Cup defence

Auckland Mayor Phil Goff believes the private sector should pay much of the cost for hosting the America's Cup, saying the days of council and government picking up the tab are over. (Bernard Orsman)

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=11883045

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Could Auckland's Halsey Wharf host the next America's Cup?

Auckland event planners say the logical space to hold the next America's Cup defence is Halsey St Wharf on the city's waterfront and would come with a billion dollar economic benefit to New Zealand.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/news/article.cfm?c_id=3&objectid=11882811

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Northland well placed for slice of America's Cup pie

Northland's economic body is already working on bringing as much benefit as possible to the region from the next America's Cup - should it be held in Auckland - with hosting a syndicate, tourism benefits and high-end superyacht work for the marine industry all on the table. (Mike Dinsdale)

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/marine/news/article.cfm?c_id=61&objectid=11882708

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That inner harbor course is criminal. 

There is really no need to limit the course to the small harbor, the AC35 model of bay viewing ticket sales has been a financial disaster and really misses the financial reality that the economic potential is TV/stream advertising, product merchandise and tourism (come for the Cup, stay for Northland). 

I say start investing in maximizing responsible private boat owners hosting visitors for the regatta (economic benefit being folks getting foreign tourism dollars, fixing up their boats in advance of that will be a boost to industry). Maybe develop a "Northland" pass where visitors fly in Auckland and can ride nice buses throughout and as far as Wellington. Spread the love around. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Having been to San Francisco and seen all of the races in Bermuda on video, it is clear to me that stadium racing is a waste of time.  In both venues the spectators were not close enough to the action to make watching it with the naked eye worthwhile.  So, in both cases the big screen monitors were watched much more than looking out at the race course, with much more satisfactory results.  That being the case, why handicap the racing with headlands, buildings and other wind & wave destroyers.  Put the thing out to sea in good wind and waves and use then maximize the use of the video tools developed in the last two events.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, pwormwood said:

Having been to San Francisco and seen all of the races in Bermuda on video, it is clear to me that stadium racing is a waste of time.  In both venues the spectators were not close enough to the action to make watching it with the naked eye worthwhile.  So, in both cases the big screen monitors were watched much more than looking out at the race course, with much more satisfactory results.  That being the case, why handicap the racing with headlands, buildings and other wind & wave destroyers.  Put the thing out to sea in good wind and waves and use then maximize the use of the video tools developed in the last two events.

You clearly must have picked the wrong spot to watch from in SF.
We hat the perfect place, and could watch the complete course, from start to finish. I was on the press boat once, and it was not better than from land.
Don't know about Bermuda tho. In the broadcast it looked like watching from the shore was not so good as in SF.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Ex-yachtie said:

Transforming Auckland for the America's Cup

 

These Auckland architects are already imagining what the city could look like if it hosted the next America's Cup

 

http://www.noted.co.nz/life/urbanism/transforming-auckland-for-the-americas-cup/

IMG_0137.JPG

Lovely vision, but I think Blake has received enough accolades for his efforts in the America's Cup.

Despite having a dislike for Dalton's public persona, he is the one that has ensured the survival of this team since 2003 (14 bloody years) under some of the most adverse conditions.

Why should there be a RED SOCK there? Put something up as a testament to Dalton or even better the team as a whole.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bases should line the western side of the Silo Park, Wynyard Quarter becomes the hub/home of the AC with racing to be out on the sea where the old courses were. The Stadium racing inshore format sucks ass and hard to do in Auckland anyway. Send it out, big up huge screens with heaps of entertainment and food and things like a proper village, not some tent city and make a proper go of it. If we are serious about defending it, then Auckland needs to step up to the plate. And Stephen Tindall can keep his guy fawkes boom boxes at home. We need some proper fireworks. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, pwormwood said:

Having been to San Francisco and seen all of the races in Bermuda on video, it is clear to me that stadium racing is a waste of time.  In both venues the spectators were not close enough to the action to make watching it with the naked eye worthwhile.  So, in both cases the big screen monitors were watched much more than looking out at the race course, with much more satisfactory results.  That being the case, why handicap the racing with headlands, buildings and other wind & wave destroyers.  Put the thing out to sea in good wind and waves and use then maximize the use of the video tools developed in the last two events.

yes agree.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Problem with the inner harbour course is the tides.  Fair rips under the bridge, especially with continual wharf reclamation narrowing the passage and water from the upper harbour flows faster and faster under the bridge and towards Stanley Point. The inner harbour is now more like a river.  Best sailing water but the worst location as far as infrastructure and spectating is near Gulf Harbour on the Whangaparoa peninsula.     

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, vanaheim said:

 Best sailing water but the worst location as far as infrastructure and spectating is near Gulf Harbour on the Whangaparoa peninsula.     

+1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, jaysper said:

Lovely vision, but I think Blake has received enough accolades for his efforts in the America's Cup.

Despite having a dislike for Dalton's public persona, he is the one that has ensured the survival of this team since 2003 (14 bloody years) under some of the most adverse conditions.

Why should there be a RED SOCK there? Put something up as a testament to Dalton or even better the team as a whole.

yeah how about putting all the old boats ETNZ still have on display there. Kind of historic.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Rskiff said:

yeah how about putting all the old boats ETNZ still have on display there. Kind of historic.

Now THAT would be nice! I was always disappointed how they ditched NZL38 whilst showing almost religious reverence to NZL32, despite the fact that NZL38 did most of the work.

But for goodness sake, stop worshipping Blake. He did far less than Dalton has.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Rskiff said:

yeah how about putting all the old boats ETNZ still have on display there. Kind of historic.

+1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

18 minutes ago, Rskiff said:

yeah how about putting all the old boats ETNZ still have on display there. Kind of historic.

How many of them aren't already at the Maritime Museum or the Explore Group Auckland docks at the Viaduct Basin?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, jaysper said:

But for goodness sake, stop worshipping Blake. He did far less than Dalton has.

Jaysper, you are an odd fish. It's as if you want to cap the accolades one person might receive. Tall poppy syndrome personified, it seems.

  • You don't like GD, yet he (for his faults) returned the Cup to NZ in the face of considerable adversity.
  • You like Blake, but heaven forbid he be *too* celebrated. Dude mortgaged his own house to get us signed up for 1995, for crying out loud, what more do you want? His first born?

There is nothing wrong with celebrating someone's success. Lauding GD (or anyone) for their achievements doesn't mean you have to excuse their faults.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, damagesmith said:

This area is way to small, and would never work. The person who drew this clearly has no idea what they are talking about

Agreed. That course can't be more than 1.5km between gates for starters, never mind the lack of support for anything other than a true westerly or easterly breeze. A case of trying to make it fit, rather than coming up with something fit for purpose.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, ianz said:

Jaysper, you are an odd fish. It's as if you want to cap the accolades one person might receive. Tall poppy syndrome personified, it seems.

  • You don't like GD, yet he (for his faults) returned the Cup to NZ in the face of considerable adversity.
  • You like Blake, but heaven forbid he be *too* celebrated. Dude mortgaged his own house to get us signed up for 1995, for crying out loud, what more do you want? His first born?

There is nothing wrong with celebrating someone's success. Lauding GD (or anyone) for their achievements doesn't mean you have to excuse their faults.

Well, we are probably all odd fish in our ways.

But, my point is despite the issues I have with Dalton, he has put a huge amount of effort and achieved far more than Blake ever did.

The post I originally responded to had a design depicting a red sock (you can go look, I will wait). My point is that WHY would they build a tribute to Blake who had nothing to do with this current success and yet do nothing for Dalton?

Personally, I think a better option is to do something like Rskif suggested by displaying all the ETNZ boats.

But if they are to erect a monument to any individual, it should be Dalton not Blake. I'd be surprised if too many people would disagree with that despite the fact that Dalton is a pretty divisive character.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, buoy said:

 

How many of them aren't already at the Maritime Museum or the Explore Group Auckland docks at the Viaduct Basin?

fucked if I know. Thinking of the 72, and also if the 50 isnt being used then it, maybe get back NZL92, 20,82,60,

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, damagesmith said:

This area is way to small, and would never work. The person who drew this clearly has no idea what they are talking about

They're probably the same person who drew the Hauraki Gulf course which shows Rangitoto being about 500m across. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Stop  filling  the  beautiful   sparking-waters  of the Waitemata  in !

hell our Logan was  trapped  against the tide off the  new POA extn for about  half an hour in  lite-winds April  racing ,  current really exacerbated  there ,  needed  a race kayak to  get out o that  river

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Miffy said:

tourism (come for the Cup, stay for Northland)

I wonder how much tourism will be affected by the finalist.  I assume Auckland would want a nearby country to be represented.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If can make boats that can handle 1m waves (which seems like a useful design improvement) then do it off the North shore in the Hauraki like previous AC's.  If need smaller waves then down in the more protected waters between Waiheke and Beachlands/Howick.

Would be nice if we could have tall hangers/sheds and a class of boat that didn't need to have their rigs taken down every night  25m tall doors wouldn't be that hard to do (and could reduce land footprint of base facilities if they built up multi level rather than low and flat).

Another option might be a few barges raised up on piles as temporary 'land' space for the cup.  a 100x30m barge only costs a few million and takes a few months to get built, and could potentially be sold on to next venue to speed up cup cycle.  A purpose built hanger/base ship that could ferry boats and facilities around the world for ACWS type events would be a great way to manage the show.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wind against tide in that location could provide a bumpy ride for foiling cats. Not that is necessarily going to be in foiling cats. We shall see soon enough.

Meanwhile, Auckland Real Estate Agents are cumming in their collective jocks/panties...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote

Bases should line the western side of the Silo Park, Wynyard Quarter becomes the hub/home of the AC with racing to be out on the sea where the old courses were. The Stadium racing inshore format sucks ass and hard to do in Auckland anyway. Send it out, big up huge screens with heaps of entertainment and food and things like a proper village, not some tent city and make a proper go of it.

That.

Inner harbour just ain't big enough for this kind of stuff.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The red socks BS is a New Zealand disgrace and embarrassment. Whoever drew this silly defecation of a sculpture in the plan needs to be whipped with barbed wire.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, hoom said:

That.

Inner harbour just ain't big enough for this kind of stuff.

So there will need to be mechanisms in place for allowing broken boats to sail/tow in and get fixed. Potentially less races per day? Or more reliable, heavier boats? Are we cool with that?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, Groucho Marx said:

The red socks BS is a New Zealand disgrace and embarrassment. Whoever drew this silly defecation of a sculpture in the plan needs to be whipped with barbed wire.

Oh. Bollocks. I don't agree with it but because it is a testament to someone who had nothing to do with this victory. 

I think you've taken too many grumpy pills.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, damagesmith said:

This area is way to small, and would never work. The person who drew this clearly has no idea what they are talking about

You've just described the entire Herald

"The person who drew/wrote this clearly has no idea what they are talking about"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Groucho Marx said:

The red socks BS is a New Zealand disgrace and embarrassment. Whoever drew this silly defecation of a sculpture in the plan needs to be whipped with barbed wire.

Yeah nah..

Blake ignited NZ's original passion for AC. Without the sacrifices he made (and yes, others) we wouldn't have it today. That sculpture example shown itself is naff, but if we are trying to make a historic park of monuments to AC glory some reference to him would be non-negotiable. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Groucho Marx said:

Jaysper, your second sentence makes less than zero sense. Is English your second language?

Hey dude whatever lets you sleep at night. :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Dalton is successful. Blake was successful and endeared himself to a nation. Big difference. Dalton needs to stop being a dick before he'll get the credit his success deserves. His post Match performance the other day was spiteful and embarrassing.

But on topic. The next Cup should be in the Bay of Islands. Why? I have a place on Flagstaff Hill with great views. I can walk to the Duke in 10 mins. Getting home takes a little bit longer. No other reason.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Groucho Marx said:

The red socks BS is a New Zealand disgrace and embarrassment. Whoever drew this silly defecation of a sculpture in the plan needs to be whipped with barbed wire.

I thought you guys used #8 wire exclusively?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Man Overboard said:

Dalton is successful. Blake was successful and endeared himself to a nation. Big difference. Dalton needs to stop being a dick before he'll get the credit his success deserves. His post Match performance the other day was spiteful and embarrassing.

But on topic. The next Cup should be in the Bay of Islands. Why? I have a place on Flagstaff Hill with great views. I can walk to the Duke in 10 mins. Getting home takes a little bit longer. No other reason.

Yes I agree he is a dick who embarrassed himself the other day (check my posts which I got a pile of shit for). But he has achieved more than Blake and so rather than continue building monuments to Blake they should either do something for Dalton or preferably just honour the whole goddamn team.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Man Overboard said:

Dalton is successful. Blake was successful and endeared himself to a nation. Big difference. Dalton needs to stop being a dick before he'll get the credit his success deserves. His post Match performance the other day was spiteful and embarrassing.

 

I really think Dalts has earned the right to speak his mind after masterminding this win and dragging ETNZ back from the abyss despite the best efforts of so many, in the AC world and outside it, to undermine and denigrate his every move. He is absolutely entitled to his Fuck You moment in the sun. His reference to Russell was funny, nothing more to it, but I can tell you from personal experience that RC is a Grade A, self-serving cunt of the highest magnitude and he is richly deserving of Dalts scorn.

I don't recall OTUSA being overly magnanimous towards ETNZ  in SF in 2013.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Last Post said:

I really think Dalts has earned the right to speak his mind after masterminding this win and dragging ETNZ back from the abyss despite the best efforts of so many, in the AC world and outside it, to undermine and denigrate his every move. He is absolutely entitled to his Fuck You moment in the sun. His reference to Russell was funny, nothing more to it, but I can tell you from personal experience that RC is a Grade A, self-serving cunt of the highest magnitude and he is richly deserving of Dalts scorn.

I don't recall OTUSA being overly magnanimous towards ETNZ  in SF in 2013.

You're right they were cunts. But just because they were doesn't mEan you have to stoop to their shitty level.

I'd like to think our sports people are better than a bunch of ungracious picks.  Ashby and Burling were but Dalton was not. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Come on, Spitty was saying Dalton should be fired, all the barbs thrown his way from him and coutts.  And you expect him to be cordial, to hell with that, for all the damn crap he had to put up with after 2013, I think he showed complete restraint it could have been worse.

And if it wasn't for Sir Peter Blake coughing up the entry fee for the 95 cup I seriously doubt we would be where we are today.

I suggest a Statue of both Blake and Dalts.  Or a Monument with photos of all the sailors that has been involved in winning the cup.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, DayTripper said:

Ffs, even I can see the red sock was put in as a joke.

Never underestimate the stupidity of architects and town planners. Remember when they wanted to put an embarrassing wellywood sign near the airport here? It took them FOREVER to figure out what everyone else knew, which was that it was a cringeworthy idea.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, jaysper said:

Never underestimate the stupidity of architects and town planners. Remember when they wanted to put an embarrassing wellywood sign near the airport here? It took them FOREVER to figure out what everyone else knew, which was that it was a cringeworthy idea.

Haha I remember that, 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, Groucho Marx said:

Jaysper, your second sentence makes less than zero sense. Is English your second language?

Perfectly clear to me, Groucho. Sir Peter owned the red socks. Sir Peter had nothing to do with this latest ETNZ's victory. 

A bronze statue of Dalts raising a finger to JS would be much more appropriate. ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Sailbydate said:

A bronze statue of Dalts raising a finger to JS would be much more appropriate. ;)

Ok now that I will want to see

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, DevsNzL said:

Haha I remember that, 

Besides, this is much more appropriate.

Unknown.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Sailbydate said:

Perfectly clear to me, Groucho. Sir Peter owned the red socks. Sir Peter had nothing to do with this latest ETNZ's victory. 

A bronze statue of Dalts raising a finger to JS would be much more appropriate. ;)

Yeah didn't seem to difficult to understand from my perspective. Maybe only people who have English as a second language have trouble understanding it? ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

10 ways to make the most of hosting the America’s Cup

 

It’s not just the sailing, or the tourism, or the technology. Major sports events give cities the best chance they ever get to transform themselves – so, asks Simon Wilson, will Auckland seize the day?

 

https://thespinoff.co.nz/auckland/28-06-2017/10-ways-for-auckland-to-make-the-most-of-the-americas-cup/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, jaysper said:

Never underestimate the stupidity of architects and town planners. Remember when they wanted to put an embarrassing wellywood sign near the airport here? It took them FOREVER to figure out what everyone else knew, which was that it was a cringeworthy idea.

I doubt very much that an architect or town planner was within a kilometre of making that decision. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, Man Overboard said:

Dalton is successful. Blake was successful and endeared himself to a nation. Big difference. Dalton needs to stop being a dick before he'll get the credit his success deserves. His post Match performance the other day was spiteful and embarrassing.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Ex-yachtie said:

10 ways to make the most of hosting the America’s Cup

 

It’s not just the sailing, or the tourism, or the technology. Major sports events give cities the best chance they ever get to transform themselves – so, asks Simon Wilson, will Auckland seize the day?

 

https://thespinoff.co.nz/auckland/28-06-2017/10-ways-for-auckland-to-make-the-most-of-the-americas-cup/

Only one problem I see with this 10-step plan. Where do we get the $300 billion from?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't know about AC36 but I''m sure AC37 in Italy will be fantastic! Beautiful places, good food, friendly people. You will be all very welcome :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Sailbydate said:

Only one problem I see with this 10-step plan. Where do we get the $300 billion from?

Entry fees. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, Ex-yachtie said:

10 ways to make the most of hosting the America’s Cup

 

It’s not just the sailing, or the tourism, or the technology. Major sports events give cities the best chance they ever get to transform themselves – so, asks Simon Wilson, will Auckland seize the day?

 

https://thespinoff.co.nz/auckland/28-06-2017/10-ways-for-auckland-to-make-the-most-of-the-americas-cup/

Nice to see some vision, "throwing the ball as far as you can ..."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, strider470 said:

I don't know about AC36 but I''m sure AC37 in Italy will be fantastic! Beautiful places, good food, friendly people. You will be all very welcome :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D

Nah I don't think etnz would want their 4th defence to be in Italy. Sorry dude.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, weta27 said:

Nice to see some vision, "throwing the ball as far as you can ..."

I think that's going to stick in New Zealand folk law for a very long time. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, jaysper said:

Nah I don't think etnz would want their 4th defence to be in Italy. Sorry dude.

ahahahah good point, then you will be the CoR ;-)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, damagesmith said:

This area is way to small, and would never work. The person who drew this clearly has no idea what they are talking about

Its no way that ETNZ could pull out a 800 meters lead over OR at that course. Needs to be bigger to do that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, strider470 said:

Italy and NZ twins separated at birth :))

itanz.jpg

That's funny. I never realized how similar then maps are.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, damagesmith said:

This area is way to small, and would never work. The person who drew this clearly has no idea what they are talking about

Yeah on those 50 footers that course is about 1 minute long...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, strider470 said:

I don't know about AC36 but I''m sure AC37 in Italy will be fantastic! Beautiful places, good food, friendly people. You will be all very welcome :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D

Well after looking at the website for the COR I'm happy enough to go there, cup or no cup! http://www.circolodellavela.it/ita/index.asp

AC36 is going to be great and after all the squabbling dies down Auckland will end up with some cool new bits of infrastructure I'm sure.

The overseas naysayers and whiners have to my eyes only one valid concern. Time zone.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, eurochild said:

The overseas naysayers and whiners have to my eyes only one valid concern. Time zone.

On the contrary! I assure you that nights spent watching the AC in the past always had an added beauty. People here in Italy still remember the old ACs in San Diego or Auckland as the unforgettable nights of "Il moro di Venezia" or "Luna Rossa". The only valid concern would be for employers :-D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, strider470 said:

I assure you that nights spent watching the AC in the past always had an added beauty. People here in Italy still remember the old ACs in San Diego or Auckland as the unforgettable nights of "Il moro di Venezia" or "Luna Rossa". The only valid concern would be for employers :-D

Just as we in NZ will remember this Cup for the 5am starts, and I remember late nights watching the Auckland Cup when I lived in New York.

For those that love the sport it is part of the experience. (Actually, 5am was quite convenient once you got used to it. Though it made the rest of the day boring as hell). But I think we would have to agree that for the "casual viewer" it poses a little more of a challenge.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

To make the AC a success in NZ we need to advertise the fact  that

A. Prostitution is 100% legal

B. Beer floweth freely from public drinking fountains

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Gutterblack said:

To make the AC a success in NZ we need to advertise the fact  that

A. Prostitution is 100% legal

B. Beer floweth freely from public drinking fountains

 

 

I'm already booking a flight :-D :-D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, strider470 said:

Italy and NZ twins separated at birth :))

itanz.jpg

Be careful what you say. @Wethog will be making more accusations of collusion!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, jaysper said:

Yes I agree he is a dick who embarrassed himself the other day (check my posts which I got a pile of shit for). But he has achieved more than Blake and so rather than continue building monuments to Blake they should either do something for Dalton or preferably just honour the whole goddamn team.

Exactly. Blake was the fuckwit who pulled a gun out and didn't use it. Bang, dead, end of story. His socks got red from blood. Sad but ironic. 

GD may be a cantankerous cunt of a thing but, he has held fast, kept The Team going and kiwi fans celebrating here cannot do it without celebrating GD,

So, stop your fucking whining or support some other team. 

Hauraki Gulf is the place where yachties sail. The haubour is for ferries and commuting boats. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, marlowe said:

Be careful what you say. @Wethog will be making more accusations of collusion!

Ahahahahah Wethog is a good guy and in this particular case he is totally right. As Jimmy would say, at the end of the day... the collusion, but let's call it alliance, collaboration, friendship or whatever.. has been real indeed. I'm (not) sorry for LE and RC, "This Cup is donated upon the conditions that it shall be preserved as a perpetual Challenge Cup for friendly competition between New Zealand and Italy". :-D :-D :-D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Gladwell's Line - America's Cup returns to its new home and thinking

Emirates Team New Zealand's win in the 35th America's Cup ends 17-years of wandering in the AC wilderness and will open a new era of America's Cup, New Zealand and World Sailing.

"Stadium sailing not an imperative" "AC Class dictates base options"

http://www.sail-world.com/NZ/Gladwells-Line---Americas-Cup-returns-to-its-new-home-and-thinking/155103

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Gutterblack said:

Clearly the fuckwits who came up with this idea have NEVER sailed on the Waitemata River bwhahahhahahahahaha

So 8 minute races that can only be run when the wind comes from the prevailing direction?

Lets scrap that idea and make it a more traditional AC. We can have races that include a loop around the Island of Somes. Much more sensible :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A Viaduct Park: it could happen right now

The America’s Cup is going to sharpen up the city’s thinking about the waterfront, right? Like, why are there cars parked on Te Wero Island when there’s a perfectly good council car park building just over the road? Here’s a proposal from architect David Mitchell and pressure group Urban Auckland.

 

https://thespinoff.co.nz/auckland/01-07-2017/a-viaduct-park-it-could-happen-right-now/

IMG_0137.JPG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am an Aucklander. Sad, but true. Gave up on the traffic decades ago and moved out of town.

Although the Hauraki Gulf is a great sailing venue the city traffic congestion sucks and the council (in the words of Spike Milligan) "has all the coordination of an epileptic on fire getting off a bus". So, if Goff has no vision or courage for the cup, perhaps it should be in a different town? :

1. Wellington. Sail in the harbour? Or perhaps the Cook Straits - boat design would certainly have survivability features applicable to ordinary yachts

2. Tauranga - Park a couple of cruise boats in the harbour for accommodation and use the open sea as a course - again the boats would be closer in heavy weather features to trickle down to production yachts.

3. Christchurch - An ideal combination of a harbour and a city that also provides adventure tourism, Watch the America's Cup while Experiencing Real Earthquakes !

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, kiwispirits said:

I am an Aucklander. Sad, but true. Gave up on the traffic decades ago and moved out of town.

Although the Hauraki Gulf is a great sailing venue the city traffic congestion sucks and the council (in the words of Spike Milligan) "has all the coordination of an epileptic on fire getting off a bus". So, if Goff has no vision or courage for the cup, perhaps it should be in a different town? :

1. Wellington. Sail in the harbour? Or perhaps the Cook Straits - boat design would certainly have survivability features applicable to ordinary yachts

2. Tauranga - Park a couple of cruise boats in the harbour for accommodation and use the open sea as a course - again the boats would be closer in heavy weather features to trickle down to production yachts.

3. Christchurch - An ideal combination of a harbour and a city that also provides adventure tourism, Watch the America's Cup while Experiencing Real Earthquakes !

4. Gulf Harbour, Rodney, North Auckland

5) BOI, Northland - Cruise Ships required as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If they stop trying to cater to spectators on shore, they can choose a location that's better for both television and the race. The beautiful islands, to me, would look more interesting than a wharf as a background.

Similarly, creating a pavilion for the after-party is also misguided, imo.  Spend that money on assisting bars, restaurants, and hotels in throwing parties, considering that's what they're designed to do.  Locals could just walk to the harbor afterward as the boats take a victory lap, and they could get a better, close up view of the boats and crew.  Win/win/win.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/29/2017 at 6:26 PM, Last Post said:

I thought you guys used #8 wire exclusively?

real farmers stopped 4mm #8 years ago

too soft, needed lots of retensioning, heavier than needed, more expensive etc

nowadays, with the addition of a gnat's cock of vanadium, 2.5mm high tensile wire is lighter, cheaper, needs less retensioning

BUT  

as it's as hard as hell

http://www.cyclonewire.co.nz/products/wire-high-tensile

it won't do the easy close radius bends that #8 was famous for

so it's pants for stitching things together or spanish windlass stuff etc

hb106tp01-01-main.jpg

but a surprising # of kiwis have become dab hands with the black magic metal, carbon fibre

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The City of Sails and Opportunities - How will Auckland rise to the challenge of hosting the America's Cup in 2021?

What the extent of those opportunities will be is open to debate, but for many, thoughts have already turned to what the future holds for the Cup and the city that will host it.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=11883721