• Announcements

    • Zapata

      Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

      Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  
Ex-yachtie

AC36 - The Venue

Recommended Posts

The real awesome fact about this solution is that the Auckland Viaduct Webcam is now again pointing to the ETNZ base which means we can follow every step they take as back in AC34. :) :wub:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, nav said:

^ Good point - but did you forget something?

http://www.takeabreak.co.nz/webcams/16/auckland_viaduct_harbour_webcam

smidgen more to the right....

Waal, it's a new view from the Viaduct cam.  It was previously on top of the old cement silos.

Not only a good view of the defender's base but also a front row seat to the challenger bases on the Tank Farm.  My but they have a lot of tanks, pipes, crap, corrosion and contamination to ship out of there out of there.  The bases will stretch from the parking lot at the extreme right of the view to a line extending from the adjacent inner bulkhead.. 

But what are we forgetting?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Paul Lewis: America's Cup bases - the real story 

" ...... after six months of being excruciatingly stuffed around, Emirates Team New Zealand were just days away from crying quits and taking the 2021 Cup to Italy. You probably won't find ETNZ saying this publicly because (a) it seems churlish now the issue is over and (b) they want to draw a line under an episode which has done New Zealand a bit of harm or, at the very least, has been embarrassing.

"Inability to decide on a base for an event which will focus a huge amount of attention on the country made us look like a tin-pot, third world democracy hog-tied by political correctness, pandering to lobby groups and property developers, unable to tie our own shoelaces."

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/article.cfm?c_id=4&objectid=12024071

Sports writer par excellence Paul Lewis who was kicked upstairs at the NZ Herald about four years ago  to become  Director of Editorial Excellence (how there is a title for you!) took unerring aim five days ago at the political shitfight over the hosting of the America's Cup next time in Auckland.  Prior to that he was Sports Editor of the Herald on Sunday for nine years.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sailing: Grant Dalton sets sail to find more America's Cup entrants on the back of Auckland base decision 

5 Apr, 2018 8:48am 
 

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/article.cfm?c_id=4&objectid=12026452

"Team New Zealand will hunt for more 2021 America's Cup challengers now that Auckland is confirmed as the venue.

"Challenger of record Luna Ross, the New York Yacht Club and Ben Ainslie's British syndicate are confirmed entries so far. There is further interest from Italy, while France have indicated desire to stay involved and Australia are seriously investigating a challenge.

"TNZ boss Grant Dalton says he would like one or two more entrants."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, KiwiJoker said:

Sailing: Grant Dalton sets sail to find more America's Cup entrants on the back of Auckland base decision 

5 Apr, 2018 8:48am 
 

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/article.cfm?c_id=4&objectid=12026452

"Team New Zealand will hunt for more 2021 America's Cup challengers now that Auckland is confirmed as the venue.

"Challenger of record Luna Ross, the New York Yacht Club and Ben Ainslie's British syndicate are confirmed entries so far. There is further interest from Italy, while France have indicated desire to stay involved and Australia are seriously investigating a challenge.

"TNZ boss Grant Dalton says he would like one or two more entrants."

interesting that he mentioned australia while slingers said they were out

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, inebriated said:

interesting that he mentioned australia while slingers said they were out

Slingers has better contacts :)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, barfy said:

interests: sailing and wanking

 

Walking. Mr Magoo, walking.

They say the other thing can effect sight? Cunt.

Edited by Jesus lizard
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, inebriated said:

interesting that he mentioned australia while slingers said they were out

‘He’ meaning the reporter, it was not from GD.

But GD did say in the radio interview he’s looking to try help attract 1 or 2 more teams, which may suggest given how the plans can do 7 bases that 5 look likely so far. 4 Challs, we know of only 3, so the 4th is still a mystery. And Challs 4, 5, 6 If they happen will be single-base and likely 1-boat teams. China is my guess for the 4th, was it Craig Monk trying to make that happen?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Resource Consent (Town Planning) application for the AC bases, including a re-purposing of the Viaduct Event Centre for ETNZ, are available here: https://www.aucklandcouncil.govt.nz/have-your-say/have-your-say-notified-resource-consent/notified-resource-consent-applications-open-submissions/Pages/ResourceConsentApplication.aspx?itemId=147&applNum=BUN60318372

 

I really wish I could either figure out how to resize images on an iPad, or post images greater than 1Mb.  In the meantime you’ll need to follow the link.

 

This one takes you straight to the key architectural drawings (I think): 44.%20DS4.a%20Architectural%20Drawing%20

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

^ :o  That's a shed load of documentation - some great drawings in there....

(The downloads are available at the bottom of your first link)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Ex-yachtie said:

The Resource Consent (Town Planning) application for the AC bases, including a re-purposing of the Viaduct Event Centre for ETNZ, are available here: https://www.aucklandcouncil.govt.nz/have-your-say/have-your-say-notified-resource-consent/notified-resource-consent-applications-open-submissions/Pages/ResourceConsentApplication.aspx?itemId=147&applNum=BUN60318372

Thanks for this.  A few hours of light reading!

Here's the first zinger.  Shouldn't be a problem but there's many a slip twixt lip and the Cup.

Screen Shot 2018-04-17 at 11.42.44 PM.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Interesting concept drawing for the ETNZ base.  I love how they even provide dimensions for the ETNZ flag.  :lol:

a088dy.jpg

Having said that, is there enough room within the existing structure for what ETNZ needs?

WetHog  :ph34r:

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Venue drawings are pretty damn cool. 

5e5smh.jpg

LR will have a pretty sweet spot.  Is that the Cup winning AC50 on display in front of the ETNZ base?

2elv81u.jpg

Only 2 teams beyond ETNZ and LR that will have 2 boats?  BAR and NYYC?

2qv6ulv.jpg

WetHog  :ph34r:

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

More base detail.

Base B (LR):

zlu2d1.jpg

Bases C and D:

110ly7a.jpg

Bases E and F:

j08l0m.jpg

Base G:

dz8bwp.jpg

Pretty cool to see how they will fit everything in.  

WetHog  :ph34r:

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Good posting ^

That AC50 at the front end of the Events Centre/ETNZ Base, is where they say they hope to go a bit public and interactive

image.thumb.png.657a51f3f91881f1c07a318b0f262632.png

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, WetHog said:

Having said that, is there enough room within the existing structure for what ETNZ needs?

Did you not have a look at this interior walk-around thing? http://guidedtours.property3d.co.nz/tour/byRw0YfEdZb1gCPCYzNOW?scene=-36.84089891908084|174.758624281263|73.26823044239849|24.553720678777815|0.3299999999999999|9mfAvQ7QeT4AAAQvOYU7zQ|false|GOOGLE

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, inebriated said:

just goes to show how in debt ETNZ is to LR

sad

You can't let it go, can you!

Come back and tell us something new -- say perhaps when Australia gets it's shit together and musters a challenge for the Cup.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Blake protege stands for President of Marine Industry Assoc

"With a second set of Resource Consent Applications having just been lodged, the NZ marine industry needs to put itself onto a stronger and more substantial footing. There are significant issues in the Consent application and associated reports and the Bases - along with their legacy use - border on established superyacht and marine industry facilities."

https://www.sail-world.com/news/204224/?source=email

In today's sail-world.com Richard Gladwell wastes no time getting into the intricacies of the new Resource Consent application. His concern is a broad one - the knock-on effect on all the marine industries affected. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, KiwiJoker said:

You can't let it go, can you!

Come back and tell us something new when Australia musters a challenge for the Cup.

it's just obvious dick suckery and i don't think that's how this game should be played that's all

Australian pubic doesn't really care about the AC like NZ and that's fine, i don't think we should be implying that anyone or any country are pussy's just because they don't want to enter a competition with only one real competitor - TNZ (unless artemis join). Anyway, what would we prove that we already haven't, that we are a superior sporting and sailing nation?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, WetHog said:

Interesting concept drawing for the ETNZ base.  I love how they even provide dimensions for the ETNZ flag.  :lol:

a088dy.jpg

Having said that, is there enough room within the existing structure for what ETNZ needs?

WetHog  :ph34r:

It's a bloody palace, mate. It is Nirvana compared with the shit-hole, weed-infested, container-tent encampment in a cramped industrial site that they've endured in recent years. Plenty of room outside for secondary temp constructions if needed. 

And it's all theirs, rent free, for the next decade, as long as they defend and retain the Cup.

Here's how the promo for the Events Centre reads:  

"ANZ Viaduct Events Centre, located on Auckland’s vibrant waterfront, is a premium venue boasting seven stunning spaces, including central Auckland's largest banquet space with capacity for up to 1,200 guests.

"With 6,000m² of space spanning three levels, the building has been designed to a five star environmental standard and makes the most of its impressive waterfront location with glass walls, balconies and easy access to the wharf."

 

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, inebriated said:

it's just obvious dick suckery and i don't think that's how this game should be played that's all

Australian pubic doesn't really care about the AC like NZ and that's fine, i don't think we should be implying that anyone or any country are pussy's just because they don't want to enter a competition with only one real competitor - TNZ (unless artemis join). Anyway, what would we prove that we already haven't, that we are a superior sporting and sailing nation?

Look,  I'm not interested in prolonging this exchange.  I guess we should be grateful that at least one Aussie is interested, even if his perspective is distorted. Cricket, anyone?

Every competition needs a foundation, rules, standards.  For the America's Cup the groundwork was laid 150 years ago by American George Schuyler, the first challenger and winner. In his Deed of Gift he said the Cup was "donated upon the condition that it shall be preserved as a perpetual challenge Cup for friendly competition between foreign countries.

To this day the Deed with some Court-approved changes, is the go-to document for interpretation. Nothing that Luna Rossa or ETNZ have done has been challenged or is likely to be challenged.

I suppose we should be grateful that you see no threat from  the new NYYC challenge. Only wish I could be as sanguine.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, KiwiJoker said:

Look,  I'm not interested in prolonging this exchange.  I guess we should be grateful that at least one Aussie is interested, even if his perspective is distorted. Cricket, anyone?

Every competition needs a foundation, rules, standards.  For the America's Cup the groundwork was laid 150 years ago by American George Schuyler, the first challenger and winner. In his Deed of Gift he said the Cup was "donated upon the condition that it shall be preserved as a perpetual challenge Cup for friendly competition between foreign countries.

To this day the Deed with some Court-approved changes, is the go-to document for interpretation. Nothing that Luna Rossa or ETNZ have done has been challenged or is likely to be challenged.

I suppose we should be grateful that you see no threat from  the new NYYC challenge. Only wish I could be as sanguine.

To be honest, I think that team NYYC are too new to have a really good shot at it unless maybe they buy the remainder of OTUSA and all their research and development, although it’s not like OTUSA were that amazing. 

i reckon LR will find an excuse to fuck things up

persionally I think it will be LRBAR in the cup match and they get smashed by TNZ

thus is all assuming that Artemis are out which would be sad but is looking increasingly likely every day that they stay silent 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, inebriated said:

To be honest, I think that team NYYC are too new to have a really good shot at it unless maybe they buy the remainder of OTUSA and all their research and development, although it’s not like OTUSA were that amazing. 

i reckon LR will find an excuse to fuck things up

persionally I think it will be LRBAR in the cup match and they get smashed by TNZ

thus is all assuming that Artemis are out which would be sad but is looking increasingly likely every day that they stay silent 

 

4 hours ago, inebriated said:

To be honest, I think that team NYYC are too new to have a really good shot at it unless maybe they buy the remainder of OTUSA and all their research and development, although it’s not like OTUSA were that amazing. 

i reckon LR will find an excuse to fuck things up

persionally I think it will be LRBAR in the cup match and they get smashed by TNZ

thus is all assuming that Artemis are out which would be sad but is looking increasingly likely every day that they stay silent 

Feh!

So be it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, hoom said:

I did after the post you quoted.  At the time it didn't seem like enough vertical space based on the drawing but the detailed architectural drawings cleared things up.  Just didn't feel like editing that post.  :P

Still, LR has the choice spot and its not debatable.  

WetHog  :ph34r:

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, WetHog said:

I did after the post you quoted.  At the time it didn't seem like enough vertical space based on the drawing but the detailed architectural drawings cleared things up.  Just didn't feel like editing that post.  :P

Still, LR has the choice spot and its not debatable.  

WetHog  :ph34r:

A five minute walk around the viaduct is enough to prove this simply isn't so (depending on your requirements of course).

The ETNZ base is literally smack in the middle of the most popular area with the maximum possible public exposure and options for hosting.

The LR base while it's location looks great on paper is in reality a little of the beaten/walked path, 90% of foot traffic through the area goes directly along North Wharf where all the bars are and over the draw bridge right next to the event centre where ETNZ are.

I guess it depends what your after but if your after keeping your fans and sponsors happy ETNZ couldn't be better positioned, if your after a little privacy and quite time then LR definitely have a decent spot for that!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Boybland said:

The ETNZ base is literally smack in the middle of the most popular area with the maximum possible public exposure and options for hosting.

The LR base while it's location looks great on paper is in reality a little of the beaten/walked path, 90% of foot traffic through the area goes directly along North Wharf where all the bars are and over the draw bridge right next to the event centre where ETNZ are.

Agree.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Boybland said:

A five minute walk around the viaduct is enough to prove this simply isn't so (depending on your requirements of course).

The ETNZ base is literally smack in the middle of the most popular area with the maximum possible public exposure and options for hosting.

The LR base while it's location looks great on paper is in reality a little of the beaten/walked path, 90% of foot traffic through the area goes directly along North Wharf where all the bars are and over the draw bridge right next to the event centre where ETNZ are.

I guess it depends what your after but if your after keeping your fans and sponsors happy ETNZ couldn't be better positioned, if your after a little privacy and quite time then LR definitely have a decent spot for that!

boom beat me to it but Boyband is spot on. The Italians will be sequestered behind the Maritime Museum and off the beaten track. Preferable perhaps if you want to be  shrinking violet but I've never viewed the Italians in that light.

The primo possie,, already built and ready to move into, goes to the Defender.  And rightly so.  Can't wait to see what they make of the opportunity.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now