Ex-yachtie

AC36 - The Venue

True that. The bases could be...bars, theaters, mini convention Centers, or barren concrete pads.

• Like 1

Occurs to me: wasn't the very large construction cost partly because we were going to be supplying base buildings?

Or that got dropped & the co$t diverted elsewhere...

10 hours ago, rh2600 said:

To be fair, isn't that how we got The Cloud? A giant tent for the 2011 RWC? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Cloud,_Auckland

So why not expect a series of mini-clouds?

The cloud is certainly an asset, a few years of use offsetting the ludicrous cost.

It's original purpose was hospitality tho; when I think of AC base tents I think of etnz on the old LR site...

Mini clouds would be great!

America's Cup: Construction of facilities proceeds in Auckland

Work is proceeding on several fronts for the construction of America's Cup bases, in Auckland.

Richard Gladwell

https://www.sail-world.com/news/215953/Work-progresses-on-Americas-Cup-bases-in-Auckland?fbclid=IwAR1M42s3TIUcI2-Eth49tLBcqgeyf8SPIjl5vFxxSUk1MuWNeEAAQhMeM58

^Thanks for posting that. The pictures are really helpful. Not having seen it, could not get a sense from diagrams how big the area was or how they'd fit the superyachts in.

Design for new Te Wero bridge thats supposed to be completed in time for the AC

86e2e6087d9e5c92013149d4d0566a.jpg

818d1aabf8cde4d1b9c2bb75f8fc53.jpg

8a92076a327531f4b30b9e6a0095a0.jpg

e7a822d614ad9e8156d07fa0976618.jpg

I like it, its reminiscent of the older unbuilt competition winner

Wynyard-Crossing-Original-design-competi

• Like 1

The New Zealand Herald has been running a series of stories this week about major projects in the city.  Today they're covering the America's Cup developments.

This story has some good aerial footage of the wharf extensions.

Auckland's big projects: America's Cup village development brings big changes

Cherie Howie

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=12214347

And here's an Editorial which, amongst other things, confirms that Renzo Piano is designing the Prada base. 

They also say that Prada's base is staying in New Zealand, most obviously being converted to ETNZ's long term home in the event that the Cup goes elsewhere, I suspect.  

Editorial: Tank farm giving way to an America's Cup legacy

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=12219761

Hmm, my images of the new bridge seem to have broken but came from https://www.panuku.co.nz/news-and-blogs/new-bridge-planned-for-wynyard-quarter

Though from my understanding this is turning out to have some problems & may not make it :(

Particularly despite the renders showing the bridge at same level as the island/Wharf either end apparently its going to need to be raised with ramps at either end or completely redesigned as they apparently need to maintain the same clearance as the middle of the existing bridge for some power-boats to pass without opening the bridge.

Quite how they got as far as a public announcement with renders before noticing that issue I dunno :wacko:

9 hours ago, hoom said:

Hmm, my images of the new bridge seem to have broken but came from https://www.panuku.co.nz/news-and-blogs/new-bridge-planned-for-wynyard-quarter

Though from my understanding this is turning out to have some problems & may not make it :(

Particularly despite the renders showing the bridge at same level as the island/Wharf either end apparently its going to need to be raised with ramps at either end or completely redesigned as they apparently need to maintain the same clearance as the middle of the existing bridge for some power-boats to pass without opening the bridge.

Quite how they got as far as a public announcement with renders before noticing that issue I dunno :wacko:

I thought this was going to be designed to take light rail, which would suggest that ramps are a no-go. They might be on the right track after all?

No the original competition design prior to 2011 Rugby World Cup was supposed to but that plan is long dead (and did actually involve ramps), new one is pedestrian only.

• Like 1

Some pics of the ongoing work on the Hobson Wharf extension, where Luna Rossa will be based.  Looks like they’ll have quite a bit of space.

D8696FFE-96C8-453C-9693-74C855A1F825.jpeg

First America’s Cup infrastructure milestone complete

The first key milestone has been reached on the project creating the stage for the 36th America’s Cup in Auckland in 2021.  

https://ourauckland.aucklandcouncil.govt.nz/articles/news/2019/06/first-america-s-cup-infrastructure-milestone-complete/?fbclid=IwAR3-W2ZPAdCuOfx02cMjw2N_RayINM-jg8JtNMQcLY28fb_aZ3k3P5BijuA

America's Cup bases might not be needed as challengers pull out

Preparations are on track for the America's Cup bases but there are concerns that not all of the challengers will make it to Auckland.

All work has been finished on Emirates Team New Zealand's base and they're expected to launch their test boat shortly.

https://www.newshub.co.nz/home/sport/2019/06/america-s-cup-bases-might-not-be-needed-as-challengers-pull-out.html

The new challengers seem to have lasted long enough to get 7 base areas developed. Maybe that was their contribution. 

Rich people are very cheap if it is not something they value like an endangered species purse

@dg_sailingfan I know you don't trust anyone who says something positive about the event, but they are "on track for everything" so shut the fuck up dickhead!

• Like 1

Record number of superyachts booked for America's Cup

19/06/2019  Tom McRae

A record number of superyachts are booked to come to the America's Cup - along with the billionaires that go with them.

Newshub has discovered so many are coming here that there are concerns about the industry's ability to service them.

It's known as Site 18, a nondescript slice of under-utilised waterfront land.

But it is the key to luring in some of the world's wealthiest people and getting them to spend their money here.

To do that Orams Marine is spending $140 million to extend its marine facility to service superyachts and build 136 luxury apartments.

Neven Barbour says it will create at least 500 jobs, that will last well beyond the America's Cup.

"It's an essential catalyst to keep boats coming to New Zealand and making people aware of where New Zealand is and therefore with the right facility opening us up to the right world markets."

Those markets are lucrative, as 104 superyachts came to Auckland for the last America's Cup in 2003. They spent at least $2m each while they were here.

"With this facility up and ready for the America's Cup, they're trebling their capacity and growing Auckland's marine industry," says Panuku waterfront development director Katelyn Orton.

The longer the superyachts stay the more money they spend, so the Royal New Zealand Yacht Squadron has come up with a year-long schedule of events.

"Originally I was saying the stars have aligned perfectly with having our 150th year and an America's Cup defence but now I'm saying the stars are colliding because there's so much going to be happening," general manager Hayden Porter says.

For the first time ever the J-Class yachts will race in New Zealand. Built in the 1930s, they're widely considered to be the most iconic America's Cup yachts ever.

"These are 40 to 45-metre superyachts in their own rights, with sails the size of rugby fields and 40 professional crew on board," Porter says.

They will stay for at least six months with their billionaire owners pouring millions into the economy.   

"They don't order a case, they order a pallet so it will have a massive economic impact," Porter says.

"Our focus here at the squadron is really to get as many superyachts down here as humanly possible because for every extra one there's an extra $3-5 million additional into the economy."

There will also be a Sydney-to-Auckland race similar to the Sydney-to-Hobart and with some big names set to sail the Tasman including Wild Oats.

"It's a different world. It's next level," Porter says.

And there's one thing that could truly take it next level. Newshub understands an invitation has been extended to Prince William.

If he comes it would dwarf the attention any billionaire can bring.

Newshub.  

https://www.newshub.co.nz/home/new-zealand/2019/06/record-number-of-superyachts-booked-for-america-s-cup.html

What a pallet load of fake news

Lets start with Lot18.

136 luxury apartments are never going to meet the AC timeframe.

500 jobs doing exactly what.

After Peter Jackson the AC is next in line for being the greatest single commercial  social welfare beneficiaries that the Government funds.

On 6/20/2019 at 7:45 PM, Priscilla said:

Lets start with Lot18.

500 jobs doing exactly what.

After Peter Jackson the AC is next in line for being the greatest single commercial  social welfare beneficiaries that the Government funds.

On 6/20/2019 at 7:45 PM, Priscilla said:

Lets start with Lot18.

S'funny!  And here I thought Lot 18 was the massive proposed Orams Yacht Yard development!

Haven't seen timeframe but if not complete for AC36 it will be for the rematch.

9 hours ago, Ex-yachtie said:

Auckland waterfront foot bridge won't be built before America's Cup due to funding

(or probably ever)

Todd Niall

https://www.stuff.co.nz/auckland/113831230/auckland-waterfront-foot-bridge-wont-be-built-before-americas-cup-due-to-funding

71B39250-BA4D-4E7A-97D8-A966B98EC8FC.jpeg

Can't say as I'm that bothered about this, in fact if anything I'm pleased they've shelved this project..... For the life of me I can't see the point in replacing a perfectly functional 8 year old bridge with a perfectly functional new bridge that looks a bit out there. 

I'd much rather the money was spent on infrastructure that is either knackered and needs  replacing or infrastructure we just don't have.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Woolfy said:

Can't say as I'm that bothered about this, in fact if anything I'm pleased they've shelved this project..... For the life of me I can't see the point in replacing a perfectly functional 8 year old bridge with a perfectly functional new bridge that looks a bit out there. 

I'd much rather the money was spent on infrastructure that is either knackered and needs  replacing or infrastructure we just don't have.

It does need replacing at some point, if the new one's to carry light rail.

The whole thing's been a fiasco.

Perhaps we should build the first (winning) design with the funds we make from our first successful defence? 

2 hours ago, Ex-yachtie said:

It does need replacing at some point, if the new one's to carry light rail.

The whole thing's been a fiasco.

Perhaps we should build the first (winning) design with the funds we make from our first successful defence? 

Why would there be need for light rail on a peninsula, 4 blocks from Britomart? Not questioning you on the plan,I have no idea of it, but from a transport pov seems to make no sense. Kind of like a bridge to nowhere.

dsc05549.jpg

7 hours ago, Woolfy said:

For the life of me I can't see the point in replacing a perfectly functional 8 year old bridge with a perfectly functional new bridge that looks a bit out there. 

From what I've been told the existing one was built on the cheap for something like a 2 year life-span ie its got severe corrosion/gear reliability issues 8yrs later.

Not impressed that yet again Auckland follows its normal path: Announce grandiose & awesome project

Scale back/delay

Profit?!

Complain that the actually built thing is crappy and not up to the task

Announce new grandiose & awesome project

Scale back/delay

3 hours ago, hoom said:

From what I've been told the existing one was built on the cheap for something like a 2 year life-span ie its got severe corrosion/gear reliability issues 8yrs later.

Not impressed that yet again Auckland follows its normal path: Announce grandiose & awesome project

Scale back/delay

Profit?!

Complain that the actually built thing is crappy and not up to the task

Announce new grandiose & awesome project

Scale back/delay

#JohnBanks

8 hours ago, barfy said:

Why would there be need for light rail on a peninsula, 4 blocks from Britomart? Not questioning you on the plan,I have no idea of it, but from a transport pov seems to make no sense. Kind of like a bridge to nowhere.

dsc05549.jpg

It will make sense. Just not yet. Wynyard Quarter is severely limited on the number of car parks that can be built there. However, it will represent a very large number of residents and workers. Rapid mass transport will become increasingly important to enable to area to continue growing. If that system is connected to others (Dominion Rd and the airport, for instance) then it makes even more sense. 

39 minutes ago, Ex-yachtie said:

However, it will represent a very large number of residents and workers. R

Have to call bullshit on that one. All those nice condos will be bought up by da rich folk who will use them for vacation.

2 hours ago, barfy said:

Have to call bullshit on that one. All those nice condos will be bought up by da rich folk who will use them for vacation.

They’re not all condos.

8 hours ago, Ex-yachtie said:

They’re not all condos.

Well, getting OT, but if it wasn't for the Cup the land would have been used by developers to stack as many exclusive residences in every corner down there. Some marine industry on ground floors if they could afford the rent and competition from low fat coffee shops. Water front residences with curtains drawn whilst the owners wait until the next property boom to extraCt return on investment.

53 minutes ago, barfy said:

Well, getting OT, but if it wasn't for the Cup the land would have been used by developers to stack as many exclusive residences in every corner down there. Some marine industry on ground floors if they could afford the rent and competition from low fat coffee shops. Water front residences with curtains drawn whilst the owners wait until the next property boom to extraCt return on investment.

Still not right.  Fonterra (office and retail), Datacom (office and retail), Mason Brothers (office), ASB (office and retail), Sanfords (been there for a while), 12 Madden (office), 10 Madden (office), Lysart Building (office), 117 Pakenham (office) Bayleys (office and retail), Manson's development at 155 Fanshawe (office), Park Hyatt (hotel), Wynyard 100 (hotel), were all conveived of (and many built) before the America's cup was won.

There's actually been  a lot of effort put in to making it mixed use.

1 hour ago, Ex-yachtie said:

Still not right.  Fonterra (office and retail), Datacom (office and retail), Mason Brothers (office), ASB (office and retail), Sanfords (been there for a while), 12 Madden (office), 10 Madden (office), Lysart Building (office), 117 Pakenham (office) Bayleys (office and retail), Manson's development at 155 Fanshawe (office), Park Hyatt (hotel), Wynyard 100 (hotel), were all conveived of (and many built) before the America's cup was won.

There's actually been  a lot of effort put in to making it mixed use.

And how about the marine sector on Beaumont and surrounds? I had heard it was winding up well before the Cup was in hand. That was my point, the gentrification of a previously thriving industry making way for condos apartments and as you detail, high end waterfront office buildings. Don't live or work down there for a year now, so perhaps has changed.

What mixed use do you speak of?

3 hours ago, barfy said:

And how about the marine sector on Beaumont and surrounds? I had heard it was winding up well before the Cup was in hand. That was my point, the gentrification of a previously thriving industry making way for condos apartments and as you detail, high end waterfront office buildings. Don't live or work down there for a year now, so perhaps has changed.

What mixed use do you speak of?

Are you saying that spar makers and sail lofts are the highest and best use of waterfront land close to the central city and transport hubs?

6 hours ago, Ex-yachtie said:

Are you saying that spar makers and sail lofts are the highest and best use of waterfront land close to the central city and transport hubs?

Well, they do exist on some of that land presently.that's the marine hub, not to be confused with the public transport hub a few blocks away, and the commercial transport yards further away still. So if you need flash office buildings, build them up pastAlbany and build your light rail out to them. They don't require the ocean to function.

So I say yes; spar makers, sail loft, dive shops, marine engineer shops, hard stands, dry stacks, tackle shops, and one marine railway are the current land holders for a reason.once you give up the land to gentrification you kill the services that support the largest marina in the south, the super yacht services move to Albany, the commercial yards go. And they don't come back.ever.

Office tower cities are a dime a dozen, there is only one city of sails.

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, barfy said:

Well, they do exist on some of that land presently.that's the marine hub, not to be confused with the public transport hub a few blocks away, and the commercial transport yards further away still. So if you need flash office buildings, build them up pastAlbany and build your light rail out to them. They don't require the ocean to function.

So I say yes; spar makers, sail loft, dive shops, marine engineer shops, hard stands, dry stacks, tackle shops, and one marine railway are the current land holders for a reason.once you give up the land to gentrification you kill the services that support the largest marina in the south, the super yacht services move to Albany, the commercial yards go. And they don't come back.ever.

Office tower cities are a dime a dozen, there is only one city of sails.

I’m afraid you don’t understand how cities work. 

11 hours ago, Ex-yachtie said:

Not from a planners/Developer vested point of view which you stated is your point of reference in your first post of this thread.

Obviously gentrification is an opportunity, not a problem in your world view.

These guys understand how to make money from a city, you don't work for them, do you?

11 hours ago, Ex-yachtie said:

Albert-Eden local board chair Peter Haynes said the case was incredibly frustrating.

The board supported the development but had disagreed with how Panuku wanted to do it - on a larger scale and without affordable homes.

Panuku seemed to have difficulty with its role, he said.

"It is just a developer acting to maximise profit...or being a council agency is it meant to have some social objectives," he said.

Panuku did not respond to a request for comment.

Link

20 hours ago, Ex-yachtie said:

Obviously the association formed to represent the interests of boat owners in Auckland might say they disagree with your statement that office/retail/hotel/apartments are the "highest and best use" of waterfront land currently used to facilitate the use of the resource that is the ocean.

Panuku was operating as Auckland Council’s agent and had already commenced the sale of marina assets using “highly questionable legal and subversive tactics”. “All of these activities are being conducted under the guise of Council extracting value (undisclosed cash settlements) from ‘non strategic land assets’,” Mr Little said. “How can Auckland Council justify a ‘non-strategic’ classification for marina waterfront land in the City of Sails?

Oh,I know. They call it the " highest and best"  use of the land. Fuck the spar makers and the sail lofts, and the other businesses that perhaps don't use as much juicy land as your two examples do.

America's Cup: Construction Update - Luna Rossa base close to finish

The Wynyard Edge Alliance, a consortium charged with the construction of the America's Cup bases in Auckland is making good progress as detailed in their report as of the end of June 2019, the latest available update.

yysw256795.jpg

https://www.sail-world.com/news/219826/Americas-Cup-Construction-Update-for-June-2019

• Like 1

That must be the Hilton in the background of that picture, an absolute monstrosity of a grey concrete building. 

Couldn't believe my eyes when we sailed into Auckland a few years ago, never seen a more fugly waterfront building in my life, pure eye bleach, and my eyes are hurting again from just looking at the picture...

The Hilton will get plenty of business from the AC, and they should give it a big facelift and some colour.   Uhm, lipstick on a pig really...

Hilton-Auckland.jpg.cf504c61d3b9fe71fd456c32e859072c.jpg

To be fair I did Also Say it would Snow in Fukuoka during the VOR! So you should know I don't Have Prolly clues. SAD!

• Like 3

When do (or did) they set wind and wave height limits for the races? Is it at all likely that any of the races would be largely in displacement mode due to sea state or would they just cancel that day?

4 hours ago, NeedAClew said:

When do (or did) they set wind and wave height limits for the races? Is it at all likely that any of the races would be largely in displacement mode due to sea state or would they just cancel that day?

It would need to be a pretty wild day in Auckland to get a sea state bad enough to force cancellation.

Peter Blake once said that the Rangitoto Channel presented the worst sea state they saw in the Whitbread, but that was with a large spectator fleet all travelling with the fleet. That’s unlikely to be the case during the AC. 

Your post does raise the issue of geographical effects on wind and tides though. I would hazard to say that this will be far more complex than previous cups. 

90da13ce-58f6-454a-b235-d0cd5fd835be.JPG

Is heard rumour that the UK team will be extending this as their base? 

• Like 2

Crikey the channel thru the isthmus must have been built by better contractors than the ones working on the southern motorway.;)

On 7/18/2019 at 9:57 AM, Fiji Bitter said:

That must be the Hilton in the background of that picture, an absolute monstrosity of a grey concrete building. 

Couldn't believe my eyes when we sailed into Auckland a few years ago, never seen a more fugly waterfront building in my life, pure eye bleach, and my eyes are hurting again from just looking at the picture...

The Hilton will get plenty of business from the AC, and they should give it a big facelift and some colour.   Uhm, lipstick on a pig really...

Hilton-Auckland.jpg.cf504c61d3b9fe71fd456c32e859072c.jpg

That was as ugly as sin when they first built it!!  Never understood why they let it happen. 

Auckland has many many examples of buildings where the architectural community should hang their heads in collective shame.

Mostly new structures are designed from the inside out with the main drivers being cost and maximum footprint.

One struggles to find world class structures in the land of the long white cloud generally and imho the only recent building of note is the extended Auckland Art Gallery which was designed by a Aussie mob.

1_Auckland-Art-Gallery.thumb.jpg.185151e109116593d969d732230ca06f.jpg

9229600902_bab9874c82_b.thumb.jpg.729112a834f8eda892f27947a9058945.jpgHere is a bit of the iconic Auckland landscape.

Rangitoto_Island_Sunset.thumb.jpg.100759589fe78c8200c310885360d98a.jpg

AZAKFGLRNGVOL-2.jpg.3bc75ec5c185f33dd9c520ba1656130d.jpg

This is the crap we build.

9229600902_bab9874c82_b.thumb.jpg.84e7cb34820090a1cac815110b9498e7.jpg

Little hat thing a design after thought constructed by Yachting Developments.boutique_october_2x.thumb.jpg.ef38d1603b6ac2fb403e83c0dc972fd4.jpg

5 hours ago, SloopJohnB said:

Crikey the channel thru the isthmus must have been built by better contractors than the ones working on the southern motorway.;)

The daily portage will add an edge to their training... 

2 hours ago, Priscilla said:

Auckland has many many examples of buildings where the architectural community should hang their heads in collective shame.

Mostly new structures are designed from the inside out with the main drivers being cost and maximum footprint.

One struggles to find world class structures in the land of the long white cloud generally and imho the only recent building of note is the extended Auckland Art Gallery which was designed by a Aussie mob.

1_Auckland-Art-Gallery.thumb.jpg.185151e109116593d969d732230ca06f.jpg

You’re right. Most of our best architecture is tucked away at the end of private driveways. There is a shift though. Public work, like the art gallery is becoming world class. 

2 hours ago, Priscilla said:

boutique_october_2x.thumb.jpg.ef38d1603b6ac2fb403e83c0dc972fd4.jpg

The single biggest missed opportunity in the last five years. Bastardised for the sake of continuing to operate a carpark which will likely be obsolete in ten years. 

7 hours ago, dg_sailingfan said:

You're such a little mob. The only Base Site that is apparently going to be finished on time is Luna Rossa.

100% agreed! These Prolly Mob Clowns!

I'm so glad They haven't Immigrated to Augsburg!

Re. ClownTroll's tries to insult:

WTF is that "mob" it is always talking about? As this is a sailing forum, I always read "man over board", but the semantics elude me. "Money over bitches"? How can that be insulting (if you're not the bitch)?
First "prolly" now "mob", what language is this, please?

6 hours ago, Priscilla said:

Little hat thing a design after thought constructed by Yachting Developments.

Not true.

The original design had a sort of nice looking roof designed to help with natural air circulation.

ASB+HQ+1.jpg

But it was redesigned partly because people didn't like the funnel shape (intentionally worse to spite them?) & partly to save $$$.

Still won design awards despite the end result being so awful (parts of it are pretty sweet but the overall impression is, ugh)

6 hours ago, hoom said:

Not true.

The original design had a sort of nice looking roof designed to help with natural air circulation.

ASB+HQ+1.jpg

But it was redesigned partly because people didn't like the funnel shape (intentionally worse to spite them?) & partly to save $$$.

Still won design awards despite the end result being so awful (parts of it are pretty sweet but the overall impression is, ugh)

The semi-circular dish reflects light into the center of the building (apparently).  The original roof (above) was also in response to the town planning rules discouraging flat roofs.  My understanding is that the people in Herne Bay didn't want to look down on slabs of flat shiny roofs, which is why you see variation on all of the buildings in Wynyard Quarter.

As @Priscilla points out, the real success here, for this forum, is YDL's involvement.  Interestingly, the Auckland Art Gallery timber (Kauri) roof (further up) was built by boat builders too, due to its complex curves.

Bloody shame the way boatbuilders here seem to get more architectural work than boats to build these days.

Another fine example of Auckland waterfront  architecture.

Crikey this ode to Soviet brutalist concrete eyesores won awards too.

7196DA39-28E7-4C84-B135-8DE6207B196B.jpeg.b17791885e6d374f4f07fde2b7116f74.jpeg

Oh come on, the old Harbour Board building was pretty cool when it had the big void under it, it only got nasty when they filled it in & put the retail space at the bottom.

Its a good place to have retail space though.

14 hours ago, hoom said:

Oh come on, the old Harbour Board building was pretty cool when it had the big void under it, it only got nasty when they filled it in & put the retail space at the bottom.

Its a good place to have retail space though.

I agree actually, it was a completely different looking building when all Soviet brutalist concrete looked like it was suspended in the air!

Surprisingly hard to find a good pic of the original constructed form

auckland-ferry-5.jpg

get?dps_pid=IE8862177

How much the area has changed!

• Like 2

A comparison via Google Earth

NW37jIF.png

Its a bit old since the ASB HQ isn't completed yet when Google built the 3D.

3 hours ago, hoom said:

Surprisingly hard to find a good pic of the original constructed form

auckland-ferry-5.jpg

get?dps_pid=IE8862177

How much the area has changed!

Thanks Sir Peter. 

• Like 1

Took this a couple of days ago. Ready for boats. Handrail suggests they’re going to be craning the boats in. Obviously no travelift.

unnamed.jpg

Grant Dalton on organizing the next America's Cup

The 36th edition of the legendary sailing event is being hosted by reigning champions New Zealand in Auckland in 2021. The man charged with the New Zealand team's success is their CEO Grant Dalton, who caught up with CNN World Sport's Kate Riley.

https://edition.cnn.com/videos/tv/2019/03/21/grant-dalton-on-organizing-the-next-americas-cup-spt.cnn

Interesting to see him double down on free-to-air broadcasting, and see TV coverage as a cost, not a source of revenue...

29 minutes ago, rh3000 said:

and see TV coverage as a cost, not a source of revenue...

Wuss will be going crazy thinking of all that money dalts is just flushing down the loo.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, barfy said:

Wuss will be going crazy thinking of all that money dalts is just flushing down the loo.

Lol.  And even more so when he sees how many live and replay viewers there are. He will be multiplying $ x viewers like crazy but conveniently forget those numbers would drop for him cuz he'd have used "Ru$$'s Rule$ for Watching."

Maybe he will use AC36 viewership numbers to pitch SGP to prospective franchise buyers. Actually, of course he will....

• Like 1

5 hours ago, rh3000 said:

Grant Dalton on organizing the next America's Cup

The 36th edition of the legendary sailing event is being hosted by reigning champions New Zealand in Auckland in 2021. The man charged with the New Zealand team's success is their CEO Grant Dalton, who caught up with CNN World Sport's Kate Riley.

https://edition.cnn.com/videos/tv/2019/03/21/grant-dalton-on-organizing-the-next-americas-cup-spt.cnn

Interesting to see him double down on free-to-air broadcasting, and see TV coverage as a cost, not a source of revenue...

Dalts is well aware their primary source of funds is sponsorship and the biggest driver of this is eyes on screens, charging for it is just stealing from future sponsorship efforts and counter productive, especially for ETNZ.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, rh3000 said:

IIRC, Dalton has said right from the beginning that it would be free to air and free internet coverage.

So why do you say he doubled down?

42 minutes ago, Fiji Bitter said:

IIRC, Dalton has said right from the beginning that it would be free to air and free internet coverage.

So why do you say he doubled down?

Double down as in reaffirmed commitment

2 hours ago, rh3000 said:

Double down as in reaffirmed commitment

I see, like "to become more tenacious, zealous, or resolute in a position or undertaking".

I took it more in the negative sense, like "The term is increasingly used as a media euphemism when political figures tell baldfaced lies and when confronted with contradictory statements, the politician not only fails to retract their claims but instead expresses an increased certainty in their truth"

My bad. Anyway, thanks for the clarification rh300, I am not a blackjack player and also sometimes find forum post hard to understand. Dalts is a straight shooter with a wonderful wry sense of humour, and I for one happen to like that.

A number of construction photos in this:

America's Cup: INEOS Team UK and NYYC American Magic bases close to handover

Richard Gladwell

https://www.sail-world.com/news/220142/Americas-Cup-First-two-bases-near-complete

Looks like the sites are being handed over roughly on time.  You must be disappointed, @dg_sailingfan.

yysw258146.jpg

• Like 1

Good news but the pad sites are being turned over so still some work to be done.

Also, can someone explain what this means?  [The restoration of Wynyard Wharf and construction of the AC75 launch area's is still a work in progress.]

WetHog  :ph34r:

8 minutes ago, WetHog said:

Good news but the pad sites are being turned over so still some work to be done.

Also, can someone explain what this means?  [The restoration of Wynyard Wharf and construction of the AC75 launch area's is still a work in progress.]

WetHog  :ph34r:

Wynyard Wharf is pretty old and certainly not strong enough to support the sort of weight I imagine will be required to lift the boats into the water. They’ll be strengthening the structure and probably constructing a new deck (remembering that this becomes public open space).

There’s also a gap between Wynyard Wharf and the pads for the bases. This is shown in Richard’s photos. That needs to be filled in to allow for launching. 

Essentially they’ve staged construction to enable a start on the bases. The work required for launching will come later. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, rh3000 said:

America's Cup Village Progress Tour

Emirates Team New Zealand take a tour with WEA, of the newly completed team base sites that are now ready for the teams to construct their bases.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zrh52u7g-6I

So, the sites were handed over to teams, in July, as planned, on time.