Ex-yachtie

AC36 - The Venue

2 minutes ago, Sailbydate said:

2001 was about the last major rumble, apparently.

Yep, remember it well.

1 hour ago, NeedAClew said:

I know it is not near Auckland, but does this happen often? White Island volcano Whaakari.

to put a bit of context to it

that pic is from  a telephoto lens equipped volcano monitoring cam

its situated about 50 kms away from the island ( on the mainland )

of the 3 on the island

1/ looks like it fell over ( volcano rim ) shows no hint of an eruption in its previous 10 min pic

2/ looks like its covered in mud ( volcano floor ) shows no hint of an eruption in its previous 10 min pic

3/ just shows steam clouds

https://www.geonet.org.nz/volcano/cameras/whakatane

14 minutes ago, Priscilla said:

Cruise liner Ovation of the Seas had passengers ashore caught in the eruption.

QPNVQUXDLREBHM5A6YJN7IIGFQ.thumb.jpg.91c42f254f93861fc440911ac7ee2fb8.jpg

5509500d4b9e0b2a5d36f23be0f46658.jpg

Oh shit. I saw that some are unaccounted for.

Hopefully it all pans out ok. Sounds like whatever happened, happened quickly. 

Proximity of ppl to the crater within 10mins & the amount of stuff in the valley on the wide shots ain't a pretty prospect.

It has a long history of occasional low warning pops like this, no real threat other than to people on the island at the time & maybe some planes taking a longer route to avoid ash.

Shit, not looking good at all, one dead and 23 or more unaccounted for. And too dangerous to get to them. Bad!

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bbc.com/news/amp/world-asia-50708727

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/world/2019/dec/09/white-island-eruption-what-we-know-so-far

5 minutes ago, Fiji Bitter said:

Shit, not looking good at all, one dead and 23 or more unaccounted for. And too dangerous to get to them. Bad!

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bbc.com/news/amp/world-asia-50708727

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/world/2019/dec/09/white-island-eruption-what-we-know-so-far

Five fatalities confirmed now. 

It sounds like many were Australian, on a cruise here. Hearts go out to our Australian cousins. As if you guys weren’t having a hard enough time on your own soil.

:(

• Like 3

Shit!  

My condolences to the families of the victims.  I hope that the rescue teams find the missing people, alive.

I fear the worst for them, and rescuers are not allowed to go on the island, for now. Latest and probably last police presser for tonight (just after midnight now ) here. Hard to hear the questions and not a lot of answers.

3 hours ago, Ex-yachtie said:

Five fatalities confirmed now.

Suspect that figure will rise unfortunately as there was a group of people near the crater just before it erupted. Dreadful news for anyone caught up in this.

Some info that was not quite clear from the police presser, from The Guardian:

11:26

'No signs of life' seen on White Island

Charlotte Graham-McLay

New Zealand police said early on Tuesday morning local time that they did not believe there were any survivors on White Island following Monday’s eruption.

Just after midnight, officers said in a statement that after reconnaissance flights over the island, “no signs of life had been seen at any point”.

“Police believe that anyone who could have been taken from the island alive was rescued at the time of the evacuation,” a statement said.

“Based on the information we have, we do not believe there are any survivors on the island.”

Officers are “urgently” working to confirm the exact number of those who have died, in addition to the five already known to be dead. They had earlier said as many as 27 people had been stranded on the island after the eruption.

The military will deploy drones at first light to assess the situation.

Not good news for the visitors at all.
Very sad.

Just over 3 weeks ago i was on one of 23 boats to race around White Island, and my sister was out there diving on Sunday (the day before it erupted). 

KEY POINTS:

• Five confirmed dead. Eight are missing, presumed killed
• 34 people rescued, many with severe burns - 31 remain in hospital
• Police say there are no further signs of life
• Many victims tourists, from Australia, US, UK, Malaysia and China. Also tour staff
• NZ Defence Force were to approach island at first light today. No further word yet
• Drones to be deployed to assess environment

I took a young American friend on this tour 10-11 years ago. Volcano stable at the time. Low threat level. Amazing experience, landing from a RIB on a slippery rock, gas masks and hard hats, walk to the crater's rim on narrow defined track past fissures venting hot gasses under pressure, transparent for a foot or so before cooling and morphing into steam clouds. Stood on the rim staring down into sulphurous green water through drifting clouds of stream. Memorable, and I'd do it again but not until things stabilise.

Reading multiple accounts, stories of RIBS going back time and again to load and ferry shore-bound visitors. Rescuing badly burned tourists. Just becoming clear that first helicopter responders from Auckland with medical training landed and searched on foot for some time and found no-one living. Nothing said directly but an implication that they saw corpses part buried in ash.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, KiwiJoker said:

Reading multiple accounts, stories of RIBS going back time and again to load and ferry shore-bound visitors. Rescuing badly burned tourists. Just becoming clear that first helicopter responders from Auckland with medical training landed and searched on foot for some time and found no-one living. Nothing said directly but an implication that they saw corpses part buried in ash.

Not reported much by the mainstream news was the very heroic rescue mission by some helicopter pilots. Just amazing, thanks guys!

"They were landing right in the crater itself and the two pilots at the real start of it had to get out of their machines and walk around and search for survivors and then load them into their helicopters - some of these people were critically injured."

Quite extensive and dramatic report here:

https://amp.rnz.co.nz/article/a8bc2e13-8a34-465e-b363-7ebc9bda0894

Interview with a retired rescue pilot who controlled the operation from  the air starts at 5:45 min.  

• Like 1

Thats crazy bravery.

I'm quite astounded that so many were able to be rescued :)

16 hours ago, hoom said:

Thats crazy bravery.

I'm quite astounded that so many were able to be rescued :)

One of the voluntary/private helicopter pilots tells his harrowing story in the Guardian. Hell of  a brave guy, and not just tough talking, but really bloody tough. True heroes, all 4 of them!

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/dec/10/new-zealand-volcano-helicopter-pilot-says-was-victims-last-hope

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Fiji Bitter said:

One of the voluntary/private helicopter pilots tells his harrowing story in the Guardian. Hell of  a brave guy, and not just tough talking, but really bloody tough. True heroes, all 4 of them!

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/dec/10/new-zealand-volcano-helicopter-pilot-says-was-victims-last-hope

Bloody inspiring!  There are people alive today, some albeit facing a tough road to recovery, who owe their lives to these guys.

Seems instinct kicked in and they acted before the bureaucrats got out of their comfy leather chairs and said "Hang on. You can't do that. You might get hurt!"

One media report mentions the presence of the NZ Police "Eagle" helicopter, the last word in airborne surveillance. Nothing about what role they played.

53 minutes ago, KiwiJoker said:

NZ Police "Eagle" helicopter, the last word in airborne surveillance. Nothing about what role they played.

lately thats been firmly in the

"we are no longer required to be brave or courageous "

camp

12 minutes ago, phill_nz said:

lately thats been firmly in the

"we are no longer required to be brave or courageous "

camp

Yeah. Chose my previous words about Eagle carefully.  Not the time for the blame game but that said, your comments resonate.

We"ll have to wait months, or a year or longer for official inquiry and Coroners's reports for   insights and a detailed timeline. Could be illuminating.

Meanwhile suggest we take this to General Anarchy.

OK - Attempted bulk move to GA

Bit of a dog's breakfast but some semblance of the tail end of our discussion, alone with a few key links.

C U there.

https://www.sail-world.com/news/225482/Americas-Cup-Teams-begin-base-construction

America's Cup: Teams begin base construction

by Richard Gladwell 8 Jan 00:43 NZDT8 January 2020

yysw277265.jpgINEOS Team UK foundations laid - America's Cup Construction - January 7, 2019 © Richard Gladwell / Sail-World.com

Progress continues to be on or slightly ahead of time and under budget for the America's Cup base construction in downtown Auckland.

At least two teams have begun construction of their bases in the lead up to the 2021 America's Cup.

On November 30, 2019, the largest new structure in the project, the Hobson Wharf extension, was handed over to Luna Rossa Prada Pirelli, the team of the Challenger of Record.

Some work has now begun on foundations for the teams base. The berthing area for the teams chase boats, and AC75's appears to be complete.

On Wynyard Wharf the demolition of the silos is largely complete. The concrete platforms for INEOS Team UK and NYYC American Magic are complete and have been handed over. INEOS Team UK has started base construction.

The base allocated to Stars + Stripes Team USA is due for completion later in 2020.

The remaining base area on Wynyard Wharf not required for the 2021 America's Cup will be utilised in a public, Cup-related facility.

Three of the five bridges that will allow access by the teams to Wynyard Wharf for launching are under construction. The launch cranes will be located on Wynyard Wharf.

One of the significant parallel projects with the America's Cup base construction has been the extension and replacement of the Daldy Street stormwater outfall. The outfall will now be a large diameter HDPE pipe running approximately 500 metres along Wynyard Wharf and will still discharge into the harbour.

A later part of the stormwater network development will see the water filtered in some way before being discharged.

The Daldy Street outfall stormwater extension is expected to be completed by July 2020. The project will avoid having any stormwater discharged in the base or superyacht mooring areas.

Another parallel project is the development of a new superyacht servicing facility which will join land occupied by Orams Marine and other land known as Site 18, which included the old ETNZ base area in Beaumont Street.

The new facility is well advanced and is expected to be completed later this year, as will other construction in the Wynyard Quarter area for shops, offices and apartments.

Other development in the Wynyard Quarter, the carpark in the foreground will become the International Broadcast Centre - America's Cup Construction - January 7, 2019 - photo © Richard Gladwell / Sail-World.com

• Like 1

^ Rumour has it that Luna Rossa went down a track of hiring Renzo Piano to build something special, in an effort to make it permanent, only to have the application turned down. They’ve apparently gone back to the drawing board.

On a recent sail-by there were some very large foundations in place. I suspect these are now obsolete. 

2 hours ago, Ex-yachtie said:

^ Rumour has it that Luna Rossa went down a track of hiring Renzo Piano to build something special, in an effort to make it permanent, only to have the application turned down. They’ve apparently gone back to the drawing board.

On a recent sail-by there were some very large foundations in place. I suspect these are now obsolete. 

Unlikely to have started construction without the necessary building permit, surely?

15 minutes ago, Sailbydate said:

Unlikely to have started construction without the necessary building permit, surely?

It was reinforcing poking out of the slab.  So, built in one consent (permit) in anticipation of another, because it needed to be, if the rumour and my theory is right.

0C939CA5-90B0-4A0B-BDB9-728B5F383AA9.jpeg

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Sailbydate said:

You're clearly not used to dealing with the Auckland council 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, kenergy said:

You're clearly not used to dealing with the Auckland council 

You're right, Ken. But dealing our local Kaipara District Council has given me an appreciation of monumental fuck-up-ery and arse covering. I just assumed there'd be some similarity. ;-)

• Like 1

From the AC facebook page:
Photo's of the construction site.
More details on post 1527 by fourourselves. These are arials.
523188355_americascupconstructionsiteauckland.jpg.0c5bd3594111c35587cc7a27c586b3e9.jpg
36091142_americascupconstructionsiteauckland2.thumb.jpg.3ed514c93c289324256071f5e67f6c8b.jpg
 Second life impression of how the village will look like.
197989577_aucklandacsiteimpression.PNG.0e69665b6c5a563870fd07ba6afccf99.PNG
513137078_aucklandacsiteimpression2.PNG.a427e0ed81cf7a27c2021251b6b999fe.PNG
720566233_aucklandacsiteimpression3.PNG.50662ea836932059678fcf58df0f741d.PNG
526421512_arailaucklandACvillage.jpg.f45cc508f785526feb69b489315b8c5c.jpg

• Like 1

On 1/8/2020 at 12:47 PM, Ex-yachtie said:

What I heard from someone I believe to be quite well informed is that when they got the estimate of construction cost for the Renzo Piano design they ditched it...

9 hours ago, Schakel said:

Second life impression of how the village will look like.

That was the original HHM version not the final.

2 hours ago, Rangi said:

What I heard from someone I believe to be quite well informed is that when they got the estimate of construction cost for the Renzo Piano design they ditched it...

Welcome to NZ and our overpriced construction industry 

Was down there today...

If I've loaded these correctly 1st shot shows LR base 2nd  holding pontoon  partly obscured by work boat. There is quite a bit of reo sticking up out of the slab obviously for a poured concrete wall to tie into, the bulk of it being in the seaward edge which makes sense. Whatever design has or hasn't been agreed upon I'd expect to see this. No-one apart from a security guard in the area.

IMG_20200109_131909_9.jpg

IMG_20200109_131916_7.jpg

A shame if they got Renzo Piano to do a design then backed out/had it declined :(

Personally a bunch of his stuff is not really to my taste, especially the Valencia LR base but it'd be nice to have a good bit of international big-name architecture in a prominent waterfront spot like that.

4 hours ago, hoom said:

A shame if they got Renzo Piano to do a design then backed out/had it declined :(

Personally a bunch of his stuff is not really to my taste, especially the Valencia LR base but it'd be nice to have a good bit of international big-name architecture in a prominent waterfront spot like that.

This is the project presentation of the Valencia LR Base by Renzo Piano architects themselves:
Renzo_Piano_Luna_Rossa_valencia_2.thumb.PNG.7e9b046d519b8a8acc994665c1279483.PNG
864006015_RenzoPianoLunaRossavalencia3.PNG.673c164dff51f298544281dfaa357fff.PNG
Renzo_Piano_Luna_Rossa_valencia_4.thumb.PNG.4543fca1654e77817fd1a29fed4b5348.PNG
Renzo_Piano_Luna_Rossa_valencia_5.thumb.PNG.a8a78a2e9dff18f2f740434d7546bc68.PNG
You can't blame Italians for tasteless design.

^ I think we’re going to see big tents, like we did in Bermuda, which will be a real shame.  We’re going to be left with some big ol’ slabs of concrete where as we could have been left with some decent infrastructure for the marine industry (much like the old bases were).  

I’ve always thought it would be good to build some sheds that were used buy the cup when it was in town, and public spaces when it wasn’t.

1 hour ago, Ex-yachtie said:

^ I think we’re going to see big tents, like we did in Bermuda, which will be a real shame.  We’re going to be left with some big ol’ slabs of concrete where as we could have been left with some decent infrastructure for the marine industry (much like the old bases were).  

I’ve always thought it would be good to build some sheds that were used buy the cup when it was in town, and public spaces when it wasn’t.

Don’t fret EY somewhere close by a private developer will be strutting around with a economic hard on salivating at the potential profits from developing another waterfront architectural eyesore on those publicly funded pieces of realestate.

Prada will like the other two contenders reach for the cheapest functional available option for a team base as they won’t actually be in town for that long.

There will be no economic appetite in local ratepayer land for a publicly funded legacy building housing all those inflated egos at TNZ that has in the past been mooted for the post Prada base platform.

Sorry fatigue got to me so didn't finish posting last night.

1st shot is looking across from closest to furthest AM, Ineos and S&S bases. Footings for Ineos structure in place, services happening in AM area, not much in S &S area. But interestingly all 3 areas have a full width bridge across to the launch zone built. I got the probably incorrect impression from reports I've read that they weren't building a full bridge across in the S&S area until it was known for certain that they were coming? Second shot shows the pontoons going in to service these bases.... again note they extend all the way along the front of all three bases. I'm puzzled by the fact that the area allocated to S&S appears to be being developed still, if a little behind the level of the other teams. It's a huge investment for a team that many have written off?

IMG_20200109_140528_2.jpg

IMG_20200109_145640_0.jpg

• Like 1

Anything to get rid of that legacy industrial shit is net gain. Of course the condo crowd will be interested in any bits that break loose ala Mr Simon Herbert

1 hour ago, kenergy said:

Aerial shots give an excellent feel for the completed work that is not apparent from limited viewing points at sea level.

One little gem here that I haven't noted before:  "a breakwater with a wide public viewing platform on it is nearly finished."  

If I understand correctly that means spectators will enjoy uninterrupted  views of challenger launchings and rigging, plus watch departures and returns from closeup.

• Like 4

It will be a great little spot. The challengers pontoons are done. They are right beside a restaurant area so super great spot to watch them while sipping a beverage 

• Like 4

For the record, I think the waka proposal is fucking stupid and insults the intelligence of the New Zealand public.

If I was going to spend money on a subscription it wouldn't be on the Herald.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, kenergy said:

If I was going to spend money on a subscription it wouldn't be on the Herald.

How's their online version PayWall working out for them, just out of curiosity?

41 minutes ago, Sailbydate said:

How's their online version PayWall working out for them, just out of curiosity?

No idea, in a market full of crap journalism they dont stand out enough to look at for me.

• Like 1

hard not to see both a crusade and an agenda in its conception and design

* paste label here *

What a truly hideous design that completely wastes the space.

Great open space with lots of sun from the north - check.

Open to the sea with fantastic views of the bridge etc - check

What should we do with this great resource?

I know lets build an enormous fucking east to west monstrosity right across the end and destroy both of the best elements of the site in one go!

Can't we just have a great open space for all to enjoy! That can then be turned into whatever we want it to be whenever we need it!

If you want to build a museum there build it on the flat empty carpark next to the fish market or somewhere else in the Southern part of the site.

• Like 5

Another Museum? Nah. Let's not.

8 minutes ago, Boybland said:

If you want to build a museum there build it on the flat empty carpark next to the fish market or somewhere else in the Southern part of the site.

I there should definitely be something really good there.

Just definitely not that thing & certainly not a big east-west building :ph34r:

Maybe just a nice big sculpture/viewing tower but its gotta be something clearly excellent.

4 hours ago, kenergy said:

No idea, in a market full of crap journalism they dont stand out enough to look at for me.

Especially at 4 times the cost of something like the New York Times...

• Like 1

11 hours ago, hoom said:

Maybe just a nice big sculpture/viewing tower but its gotta be something clearly excellent.

Ask Renzo Piano :D

16 hours ago, hoom said:

I there should definitely be something really good there.

Just definitely not that thing & certainly not a big east-west building :ph34r:

Don’t hold your breath, excellent iconic structures have never been a strong point of architecture in NZ.

What’s wrong with public open space which by the way is in increasingly short supply.
DEE54AEB-DB6B-4A79-AC6B-5C7A6C8179BE.png.b6eb141211d96d698f0447dc910dbc2a.png

724B225B-B11A-4BB3-B93C-52CB1C819289.thumb.jpeg.6edf5e20d1c9678734342a98057cd4b7.jpeg

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Priscilla said:

Don’t hold your breath, excellent iconic structures has never been a strong point of architecture in NZ.

What’s wrong with public open space which by the way is in increasingly short supply.
DEE54AEB-DB6B-4A79-AC6B-5C7A6C8179BE.png.b6eb141211d96d698f0447dc910dbc2a.png
724B225B-B11A-4BB3-B93C-52CB1C819289.thumb.jpeg.6edf5e20d1c9678734342a98057cd4b7.jpeg

Agreed. Buildings at the end of wharfs/headlands are also notoriously difficult to make work at a public street level. The Sydney Opera house is wonderful, until you get close to it.

Don’t aim for iconic, keep it in the city so that people use it instead.

Besides, who wants to be sailing home, on port tack, in a light sou’wester and outgoing tide, only to sail int the lee of some megalith at the end of Wynyard Pt?!

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, See Level said:

I assume it's supposed be be a fern, but it looks more like a bug.

cockroach?

8 minutes ago, See Level said:

18b3188a8cb064434feb211c3b44ab88.jpg

The bug looks better.

looks more aboriginal or african than most things i have seen here

1 hour ago, See Level said:

18b3188a8cb064434feb211c3b44ab88.jpg

We already have this Huhu grub inspired eyesore junking up the waterfront so no more bugs please.

81866105_HuhuGrub.thumb.JPG.682b1de9e91a3da0b6df0a9ced13fffa.JPG

GettyImages-514846776-850x510.jpg.eb890622c4a2a9eb7578d523f24c327c.jpg

• Like 1

^^Common slater. 

2 hours ago, See Level said:

A waka (canoe for anyone who cares outside New Zealand). There was lots of fanfare about New Zealandness and famous (white, male) New Zealanders in the press release. 

We can discuss the appropriateness of putting national treasures in a marine environment, next to a rising sea, in a land bound boat not famous for offering protection, some other time. 

9F231356-CA47-483A-94B3-66252D1C86DC.jpeg

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Ex-yachtie said:

We can discuss the appropriateness of putting national treasures in a marine environment, next to a rising sea, in a land bound boat not famous for offering protection, some other time. 

we can put that with the " putting the best of them on top of several large faults long overdue for an 8+ rupture " discussion

15 minutes ago, Ex-yachtie said:

ahh now looking at it like it looks more like

nope nothing

still looks like a pos design of no known ancestry

45 minutes ago, Ex-yachtie said:

A waka (canoe for anyone who cares outside New Zealand). There was lots of fanfare about New Zealandness and famous (white, male) New Zealanders in the press release. 

I thought waka are hollowed out logs with carved prow and stern post?  That looks more like the last black, jelly bean.

• Like 1

This is Auckland, there wont be a museum, park or stadium, just 5000 more fucking ugly apartments. 

25 minutes ago, Sailbydate said:

I thought waka are hollowed out logs with carved prow and stern post?  That looks more like the last black, jelly bean.

I think you should take a look at the pre-European Waka at the Auckland Memorial Museum.  The vessel is about 80 feet long and the bottom is made from a single tree and the topsides are made from planks all lashed together.

The carving is along the gunnels, as well as the bow and stern.

30 minutes ago, Terry Hollis said:

I think you should take a look at the pre-European Waka at the Auckland Memorial Museum.  The vessel is about 80 feet long and the bottom is made from a single tree and the topsides are made from planks all lashed together.

The carving is along the gunnels, as well as the bow and stern.

I saw it 60 years ago. Prolly hasn't changed.

• Like 1

there are a few around here ( shorter ) that hek busby made 

some have the carved separate sides lashed on and some are just carved all the way down

all have separate bow and stern pieces

from memory only the large ones had lashed topsides for weight reduction and log sizes

smaller ones didnt need them

57 minutes ago, Sailbydate said:

I saw it 60 years ago. Prolly hasn't changed.

Your perspective might have?

9 minutes ago, Ex-yachtie said:

Your perspective might have?

Likely.

• Like 1

Waitangi Day coming up on the 6th.

Ngatokimatawhaorua Canoe.

35m 6 tonnes dry and 12 tonnes wet.

Lack of loot saw her stuck on the hard last year.

CCB10BB5-C48B-4EC8-B97D-340AC4F56A48.thumb.jpeg.516f511283de78e3755c14c3bdd210ba.jpeg

BAAABA23-8F4A-4261-B149-55217C3272B8.thumb.jpeg.1e6b4d10097101eabbd76e2eca9b1eef.jpeg

2E41EBAC-D8A8-45F9-AA15-A266810D064E.jpeg.7e9e4a22013185b1945f6698770b2e26.jpeg
A609DF54-5D8A-447C-86F3-9159387FE27F.jpeg.510234fa987e248f2b7658f3cd0c7d53.jpeg

• Like 2

Waka sternpost / taurapa Saint Louis Art Museum.
11D4E38B-D4C4-4D34-A4E6-520578358B1B.thumb.jpeg.46247867c4093ea717edcfff5a6e451e.jpeg
Te Papa Museum

16E7A00D-A6C9-4F92-8B32-27FB831695B4.thumb.jpeg.293121a2b5528f6ab95caba4f36649b8.jpeg
Maybe Te Aihe MKII should have one for the opposition to stare at whilst they are pondering four more years.

• Like 1

Base sites for from the front AM, Ineos and S&S  all progressing well

IMG_20200204_133405_1.jpg

maybe its not the problem we though it was

those dates seem to closely align with the change in landfill practise both in how fast they are covered and where they are sited

the loss of baitfish is probably the biggie .. so if we make large areas of the inshore and gulf no commercial take areas we can get everything back to an acceptable level

51 minutes ago, Ex-yachtie said:

Not a single red beaked gull in sight.

Wrong location.

Western side of Wynyard Point.

77820F38-3CB7-4CF1-B136-611AA0FDFD85.thumb.jpeg.3f6a965c1dbec9c0d222189f590a142f.jpeg

B0FA19B7-8BDE-4CA6-8A1F-D1A2E1D7FB99.jpeg

18 minutes ago, Priscilla said:

Wrong location.

Western side of Wynyard Point.

^sarcasm font