• Announcements

• Zapata

Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  
Sign in to follow this  
GTom

Which trailerable multi - or maybe mono?

I am thinking about buying my first boat, and looking for advice. First of, about myself: I am a landlocked sailor living in the middle of Europe - sea is about 6 hours driving in each directions. But there are many nice lakes nearby, I'd like to combine sea and lake sailing. This means a trailerable but seaworthy boat. I looked up the mono options - haven't found any really seaworthy ones (<2.55m/8.3' beam, ~2tons weight). OTOH, read many stories, that people crossed oceans in lightweight, TRAILERABLE trimarans at multiple occasions.

In brief, I need: a boat for weekend-sailing with a family of 4 on calm waters (lake, coastal), which on occasion can be sailed on a longer passage (e.g. Med to Canaries) by 2 experienced pair of hands without the need of any luxury. It has to be definitely trailerable without any special permits, meaning folded width below or equal 2.5m. Budget is below 40k€.

My first candidate is the F-27 in the category, any other suggestions? I see there are couple of new, larger trailerable tri's but their 100k+ price is prohibitive...

f27 is good particularly if you can get a deal on one.  The dream boat in the farrier line based on what you are describing may be the F28CC as it has an aft sleeping quarters, and a very ingenious head where the door folds out to create a 'big enoug' private bath - usually much appreciated by the family.

all of the Farrier line (notice I did not say corsair) are capable of doing what you are seeking.  But I think going to the canaries in a 24 or 25 would be a bit of a stretch both on accomodating a family of 4 and bobbing your way across the atlantic.

Good on you - and best wishes on your quest.

Thanks for your thoughts! Yes, I had the feeling, that the F-24 would be on the short side. Right now I try to find other manufacturers, but apparently the "trailerable tri" market is small, there aren't many players. One could DIY, once bought a Farrier plan but that's not me...

I would also recommend a trimaran. You might find alternatives to Farriers in Europe, but in your price range, maybe not many actual opportunities....You will be a bit tight with 4 people, but with a pop-up tent ont the trampolines, it works. 

Regarding Canaries, it can be rough.... but the bigger problem is that you won't have the carrying capacity for 4 persons. 2 max, probably.

Good luck,

2 could fly to the cruising ground and 2 maybe 3 steers the boat on the passage. I see, space is like in a 23' mono, but trailerability is also just like a 23' mono:)

The Dragonfly series are particularly good options in Europe, plenty of olders ones about, they don't quite fold as well as the Farriers but not far off and in some ways as good if not better on rougher waters. Certainly have a more Euro feel ( more wood and better internal finish ) to the interior.

http://dragonfly.dk/dragonfly-28

Good morning,

As a previous F9 builder and owner, I would also look at an F27 or F82/ F28. I see the towing weight of the F82 is about 1100 kgs. The boat's empty weight is about 770 kgs.

Big thing is the Farrier tri's are just so nice to sail. You will never want another boat.

Depending on your offshore sailing skill, Canaries on a small F is okay. Adventurer Mike Horn did a number of trans- ocean passages on a F28? We took our F9 trans Atlantic. Just keep the boat lightly loaded. You need very little to be safe and comfy. It's a short hop and you are there.

I see Ian Farrier is selling plans for his three classic designs again, including the F82. Building that boat is not too big a task.

Have fun.

7 minutes ago, trisail said:

I see Ian Farrier is selling plans for his three classic designs again, including the F82. Building that boat is not too big a task.

Have fun.

well - for most unskilled people it is. 

By the way - I know a yard in Prague of all places that build Farriers and others... they could also give a used boat a upgrade.

but its many usable used boats on the market - small tris is perfect - Farriers or others - even if you have to buy it overseas - its not that expensive to send.