• Announcements

• Zapata

Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  
jaysper

Next America's Cup Free to Air

I do hope that includes live youtube

The races will be during the day while most are at work - youtube is readily available, TV, not so much

On 7/1/2017 at 5:39 AM, starlyte said:

The races will be during the day while most are at work - youtube is readily available, TV, not so much

+1000 for this.  And it's easier to view / download replays from YouTube.  It worked well for AC34 in SF.

And who fronts the money for the coverage? Larry did in 2013, so before you complain about him ruining the cup thats why you got coverage for free. Even in 2013 it was geo-restricted on youtube if a network bought it (So in the US you could only watch it on NBC until the replay went up later). 

If it is free don't expect quality coverage with helicopters, drones, live line, etc, all of those cost money which was either paid for by Larry or by selling the broadcast rights. Theres a reason no sport has coverage that is worth watching for free. 

2 minutes ago, Nauti Buoy said:

And who fronts the money for the coverage? Larry did in 2013, so before you complain about him ruining the cup thats why you got coverage for free. Even in 2013 it was geo-restricted on youtube if a network bought it (So in the US you could only watch it on NBC until the replay went up later). 

If it is free don't expect quality coverage with helicopters, drones, live line, etc, all of those cost money which was either paid for by Larry or by selling the broadcast rights. Theres a reason no sport has coverage that is worth watching for free. 

I don't think you've thought this one through. There are free to air broadcasters that will pay for the broadcast rights.

33 minutes ago, jaysper said:

I don't think you've thought this one through. There are free to air broadcasters that will pay for the broadcast rights.

Probably not in the US though.

22 minutes ago, jaysper said:

I've thought this one through and I can tell you that not many free-to-air broadcasters have more than 2 cents to rub together these days.

...and free-to-air broadcasters get all their cash from advertising - but when boats are travelling at 35 knots there aren't many opportunities during a race to show an ad without risking missing all the crucial action (and pissing off your entire audience).

If the coverage is available live and free via the internet, no commercial free-to-air broadcaster is going to want to pay 2c for the broadcast rights.

It's a difficult problem to solve: it's nearly impossible to grow an audience for a sport when it isn't free-to-air but it's nearly impossible to finance a sport when its coverage is free-to-air.

Furthermore, with all the advances in coverage technology (drones, live virtual overlays, on-boat 360 cameras, individually mic'ed sailors on every boat etc etc) the costs of broadcasting these events has never been higher.

You could package it for Free To Air but who knows what state that industry will be by 2020-2021, and at best you'll end up with heavily edited highlights packages at inconvenient timeslots. It's not 1995 ffs. 

Surely the evolving broadcast model that is more applicable here is that of the World Surf League (WSL) - a niche sport with a fanatical base of supporters scattered all around the world, with events in all sorts of locations / time zones throughout the year, with weather holds and unpredictable scheduling due to conditions, and with an expanding base of non-core fans tuning in. 

For those that haven't gotten across the broadcast model and brand strategy, or their success over the last couple of years, it's worth downloading their App to experience it, or these days just tuning in via Facebook liveThe background on their strategy from an article a couple of years back is also a good starting point, built on by this from 2016, and this from 2017

Seems they've tackled the free + paid broadcast model without resorting to horrendous geoblocking. 

"The world's best surfers will kick off the 2017 WSL Championship Tour season in Australia for the Quiksilver and Roxy Pro Gold Coast from March 14 - 25, 2017.

The event will be broadcast LIVE via WorldSurfLeague.com, the WSL app and on Facebook LIVE via the WSL's Facebook page as well as Fox Sports in Australia, Sky NZ, SFR Sports in France, Sport TV in Portugal, EDGE Sports in China, Japan, South Korea, Malaysia and other territories and on Globo TV in Brazil." 

Guiding principles: 

1. Mobile first

2. Free

3. Contextual 

Probably unlikely you'll deliver a personalised, live, and completely immersive VR experience with customisable instrumentation / data overlays and audio / commentary selections via free-to-air TV. Much more likely you'll do it with an App. Same goes for the kind of access and detail the AC maniacs would love to see when it comes to dock-out and dock-in shows and additional content from each of the team bases (imagine having the equivalent of the Vodafone show for each of the teams each day - covered by a home market appropriate sponsor of course). 

As a side note: 

Also don't underestimate the value and importance of 'New Zealand Inc' to the local economy. Tolkien-mania has had a quantifiable impact on tourism which itself is a massive GDP driver (delivering ~$6billion and employing about 6% of the population directly). 

Designated priority inbound markets are (page 20):

Tier 1: Australia, China, USA

Tier 2: UK, Germany, Japan

Tier 3: SE Asia, EU, Canada, Korea

Emerging: India, LATAM, Indonesia

I'm sure the argument can be made that the AC would enable 4 years of relatively cost effective content marketing targeted directly at the kind of wealthy and globally mobile travelers that would be inclined and able to hop on a A380 to Auckland. Tourism New Zealand's annual $115.8m budget in FY16 and FY17 might have a few more line items yet. 

33 minutes ago, KoW said:

I've thought this one through and I can tell you that not many free-to-air broadcasters have more than 2 cents to rub together these days.

...and free-to-air broadcasters get all their cash from advertising - but when boats are travelling at 35 knots there aren't many opportunities during a race to show an ad without risking missing all the crucial action (and pissing off your entire audience).

If the coverage is available live and free via the internet, no commercial free-to-air broadcaster is going to want to pay 2c for the broadcast rights.

It's a difficult problem to solve: it's nearly impossible to grow an audience for a sport when it isn't free-to-air but it's nearly impossible to finance a sport when its coverage is free-to-air.

Furthermore, with all the advances in coverage technology (drones, live virtual overlays, on-boat 360 cameras, individually mic'ed sailors on every boat etc etc) the costs of broadcasting these events has never been higher.

Firstly I don't think etnz means free to air broadcast worldwide,  only new Zealand. Rest of planet could have youtube with ads.

drones, live virtual overlays, on-boat 360 cameras, individually mic'ed sailors on every boat etc etc

About 4/5 of the cameras were entirely redundant waste of weight & $$$.

1 stern cam each, a heli-cam/drone, a couple of camera boats is all you really need & 99% of viewers wouldn't notice the difference.

Liveline/Virtualeye is NZ tech, started on AC coverage in '92 & is pretty much base-line requirement for any sports broadcasting globally now...

He said there was a need for more fans to be given access to the event and that in turn would lead to greater commercial opportunities.

"The main goal is to have more audience, even among the ones that don't follow this sport. Besides the boat, there has to be a return to nationality. The America's Cup has to be a challenge between nations. And we need to also think about the TV," de Nora said.

"Private networks, pay-TV, buy the rights and offer the America's Cup in a non-clear way. The America's Cup organisation can gain more money but at the end there is a more limited audience. This will reduce the sponsors' interest."

de Nora is on the right track IMO :)

Sounds like they want to give the coverage to TV cheap/free to maximise coverage but not allow exclusivity -> a free global internet option.

Though I do wonder why the big change from free Youtube coverage AC34 which was pretty great in my opinion (give or take those who were geo-blocked) -> pay-TV AC35.

Did Russ/ACalphabet ever give a useful explanation?

1 hour ago, hoom said:

Did Russ/ACalphabet ever give a useful explanation?

Was the cash grab not obvious?

32 minutes ago, MR.CLEAN said:

Was the cash grab not obvious?

Obvious but was it successful, did they actually manage to sell coverage to many networks?

8 hours ago, jaysper said:

Firstly I don't think etnz means free to air broadcast worldwide,  only new Zealand.

Why would he talk about that to Italian media?

Talk about maximising the audience reads as global audience to me.

I've been watching Henley regatta on YouTube for the last few days. Coverage is financed by the regatta, involving a combination of fixed and mobile & drone cameras. How they do it: https://business-reporter.co.uk/2015/09/08/how-hi-tech-drones-gave-henley-a-whole-new-look/

Just hope that the AC can see similar benefits from free to internet coverage. 

This is a hell of a race. Absolutely gladitorial. And a Kiwi win. 

2 hours ago, hoom said:

Obvious but was it successful, did they actually manage to sell coverage to many networks?

We've heard from some people involved in the distribution that the total rights fees, app income, and related came out to something like $8M for ACEA, which probably covered the majority (or more) of the production cost.

Free to air sounds likely to me as ETNZ and NZ gov want different things out of the cup to Orifice.

IMO LE wanted shot of holding the cup, but with the framework in place he hoped to get into a similar position to that Bernie Eccelestone had in F1. I.e. running the show and making money, without the risk of competing. 

Now New Zealand want the cup as a marketing tool for tourism and their sailing industry.

So AC36 will once again be a massive advert for New Zealand streamed to as many people in the world as possible, as appose to a rip off money making scam which by all accounts developed to near extortion levels.

It could be mostly covered by the entry fees, depending on how they choose to fund it and how extravagant they go. The TP52 set-up is pretty simple, run out of a large VW van with guys in boats on the water and a drone, I watched them while in Miami, invited to hang with them during the last race.

I am sure it will depend on what rights they sell for the event, how they do it, and what limitations there are.

I need to put forward a contrary view. I think live free-to-air is a really bad idea. The AC costs significant money to put on and good TV coverage also costs a lot. For the defender, there are fairly few opportunities to raise revenues and therefore TV is a key element for some revenue generation. Without significant revenues, how do they pay for the coverage? Selling the TV rights has been part of the AC for many years and TNZ did it when they were defender. I don't believe it should be as extreme as we have seen. They could make live coverage pay per view and delayed coverage free, or something similar.

Henley is a really poor example to use as a benchmark for the AC. The regatta is cash rich and makes a significant profit each year, so they are always looking for ways to spend money to improve the overall experience. It is also a lot cheaper and easier to produce coverage.

Free-to-air will only see the coverage get a lot worse, be harder to access and reduce viewing. No free-to-air channel is going to put sailing on at prime time and while for some, watching online is good, it really is only for the enthusiast who knows what they are looking for. Maybe free-to air would work in NZ, but if it were in the UK, I would bet against it being shown live and in full. It would be highlights outside of prime time.

Seems to me there have been plenty of ways to stream all recent AC events, even ACWS events, from anywhere in the world, with very little effort. Am sure that's true of truly lucrative events like F1 too. May as well take the best-bid broadcast contracts. Those who want it bad enough will stream it regardless.

But the ultimate direction for the AC and other events may be App-Only subscriptions (hopefully cheap and easy of course) given how much richer an app can be than a flat-screen, even if you do cast it onto a flat-screen.

5 hours ago, Team_GBR said:

I need to put forward a contrary view. I think live free-to-air is a really bad idea. The AC costs significant money to put on and good TV coverage also costs a lot. For the defender, there are fairly few opportunities to raise revenues and therefore TV is a key element for some revenue generation. Without significant revenues, how do they pay for the coverage? Selling the TV rights has been part of the AC for many years and TNZ did it when they were defender. I don't believe it should be as extreme as we have seen. They could make live coverage pay per view and delayed coverage free, or something similar.

Henley is a really poor example to use as a benchmark for the AC. The regatta is cash rich and makes a significant profit each year, so they are always looking for ways to spend money to improve the overall experience. It is also a lot cheaper and easier to produce coverage.

Free-to-air will only see the coverage get a lot worse, be harder to access and reduce viewing. No free-to-air channel is going to put sailing on at prime time and while for some, watching online is good, it really is only for the enthusiast who knows what they are looking for. Maybe free-to air would work in NZ, but if it were in the UK, I would bet against it being shown live and in full. It would be highlights outside of prime time.

Trouble is that there is simply not a big enough global audience to really make any significant money out of it and if you stick it behind a pay wall, it will simply stifle the grown of the audience. Better to make it free and easy and hope that the audience starts to grow.

The trouble with Lazzas/Wussell's vision is that they were trying to grow the audience and monetise at the same time. These are competing goals.

Split levels of viewing... Free YouTube broadcast - Paid VR, extra screens, data etc.

Maybe keep Ken Reid and Tugger Thompson on the free channel and 30 bucks to listen to decent commentators ;-)

1 minute ago, Alpinefolk said:

Maybe keep Ken Reid and Tugger Thompson on the free channel and 30 bucks to listen to descent commentators ;-)

Fuck your nasty soul for even thinking that. Go back to the shadow flame of Udun!

49 minutes ago, hoom said:

Fuck your nasty soul for even thinking that. Go back to the shadow flame of Udun!

Premium version costs $1000 and Rachel Sawden commentates as she strips down to her birthday suit. Probably knows nothing about sailing but I would humbly suggest in that situation you wouldn't give a fuck about the sailing. 

4 hours ago, Alpinefolk said:

Split levels of viewing... Free YouTube broadcast - Paid VR, extra screens, data etc.

Maybe keep Ken Reid and Tugger Thompson on the free channel and 30 bucks to listen to decent commentators ;-)

Fuck, I'd pay more than that if they are still there, one of the benefits of NZ winning is to clear house of shitty commentators.

I'd like to see it a free to view, but sell advertising space on the virtual boundary like they did this time.

If the total income from selling the rights/app was only ~$8 million then it's that much to pull back, i'm sure 1 advert before each race on a live stream to a worldwide audience would cover most of it. If would save what we had here in Australia, on some days you had no adverts between the races during all the guff chat that was filling time then half way through the race you got an advert!!!

How do you price it though? As online or TV advertising?

What's a half decent targeted CPM these days? $8-20. So 500,000,000 or so impressions to make your money back.

AC34 looks to have done around 450,000 per race. So 10,000,000 impressions. Very very very roughly the same as they generated out of official online coverage of AC35 excluding replays of the TV coverage. Looks like reposts of AC35 races will go to about 200,000 each fairly easily, so add another 5,000,000 to that. Double it for to include the challenger series. So you're only 480,000,000 impressions short of making that work.

18 hours ago, Team_GBR said:

I need to put forward a contrary view. I think live free-to-air is a really bad idea. The AC costs significant money to put on and good TV coverage also costs a lot. For the defender, there are fairly few opportunities to raise revenues and therefore TV is a key element for some revenue generation. 

Wrong.  After the ratings bloodbath from AC35, they will be lucky to get a couple of million dollars out of networks, and that's today when networks still have something to offer.  Another 4 years will see even more contraction in the market, and based on the 2017 numbers, you simply will not get any networks - and I mean any - to pay AC for the right to broadcast in the US, UK, AUS, Europe, Africa, or Latin America.  Ironically the one place that can afford to pay for TV rights is the one place that the team will not allow to restrict viewers, and the major free-to-air networks are all owned by the government, I think.  

Even with the full-court press and two years of leathery-skinned salespeople hocking what was a very compelling package, they barely grossed $8M in rights fees on an event that cost some $100M all-in.  The next one would be lucky to earn $2-3M, and the only ones paying would be pay TV networks looking for some prestige and some new subscribers.

Here's the cool thing from where I sit: Dalts, Matteo, and the board know for a fact that Coutts whored the AC out to the highest bidder entirely at the expense of the worldwide audience and fan base.   They also know that they need to repair the damage he did in order to make the AC a more valuable and popular event for the future.

3 minutes ago, MR.CLEAN said:

an event that cost some $100M all-in.

What does that number cover? Just Bermuda, or all the prior regattas too? That seems an awful lot of money. 

51 minutes ago, Presuming Ed said:

What does that number cover? Just Bermuda, or all the prior regattas too? That seems an awful lot of money. 

Dockyard infrastructure improvements of $40M gives you a good head start.  Arbitration settlement from ACEA to ETNZ for somewhere around $9M gets you to half!

On ‎7‎/‎1‎/‎2017 at 0:39 AM, starlyte said:

Er, no, most of the world doesn't live in NZ, so will be broadcast during the night.

7 minutes ago, MR.CLEAN said:

Dockyard infrastructure improvements of $40M gives you a good head start.  Arbitration settlement from ACEA to ETNZ for somewhere around $9M gets you to half!

Well, the dockyard infrastructure was paid for by me (and my countrymen)..so it didn't cost the ACEA $100m.

Frankly I would like to see the next AC free to air worldwide. The revenue stream is paltry, but the advantage to each sponsor of adding numbers could be huge. Sure the ratings may suck, but if the content is free it would still be worth it to a large broadcast company. 

The idea is to monetize the sponsorships not the broadcast rights. 

59 minutes ago, TwoRockKnock said:

Er, no, most of the world doesn't live in NZ, so will be broadcast during the night.

I had just come on to this forum to say exactly that. In Europe it will be middle of the night so little chance of a major money here I think.

44 minutes ago, laser 173312 said:

I had just come on to this forum to say exactly that. In Europe it will be middle of the night so little chance of a major money here I think.

In fact, I would see fewer viewers just because it's in NZ and because they may go purist DoG on us all and take away the excitement. Despite all gnashing of teeth over Coutts & Co., and their perceived motivation, more non-sailors were engaged. And that's a good thing.

1 hour ago, laser 173312 said:

By far the biggest TV audience % for AC36 will be in NZ, for sure.

It'll be early-evening on the US West coast but not that many people here follow AC anyway; plus there's even stronger programming competition during that prime time.

IF a global TV audience had been a prime factor for them then ETNZ (and I suppose LR) may as well have run it in Bermuda again where the TZ is hard to beat; or even Italy. 

4 minutes ago, ~Stingray~ said:

IF a global TV audience had been a prime factor for them then ETNZ (and I suppose LR) may as well have run it in Bermuda again where the TZ is hard to beat; or even Italy. 

Exactly. You actually can't beat Bermuda for TZ.

1 hour ago, ~Stingray~ said:

By far the biggest TV audience % for AC36 will be in NZ, for sure.

It'll be early-evening on the US West coast but not that many people here follow AC anyway; plus there's even stronger programming competition during that prime time.

I suspect the biggest % viewership for THIS AC was New Zealand also.

5 hours ago, jaysper said:

I suspect the biggest % viewership for THIS AC was New Zealand also.

For sure.

Will you be hitting up your local Luna Rossa shop even more often than normal? :) 

25 minutes ago, ~Stingray~ said:

For sure.

Will you be hitting up your local Luna Rossa shop even more often than normal? :) 

I can guarantee that my patronage of them will be 500% more than normal.

Now, whats 500% of nothing? :huh:

16 hours ago, StumbleNola said:

Frankly I would like to see the next AC free to air worldwide. The revenue stream is paltry, but the advantage to each sponsor of adding numbers could be huge. Sure the ratings may suck, but if the content is free it would still be worth it to a large broadcast company. 

The idea is to monetize the sponsorships not the broadcast rights. 

B2C value of coverage for the sponsor? What would it cost to buy an equivalent number of eyeballs, or to put it another way, what are the networks prepared to pay in order to have a product to sell advertising on the back of? Lets pull a wild number and say the networks generate x4 the revenue for what they pay (pretty generous) that's an overestimate of $32millions in sponsor value for free to air coverage. Enough to cover the production but not a massive money spinner.

broadcast tv will be dead in 3-4 years.  it will be a totally different model, probably one that no-one has ever heard of. 

On 7/4/2017 at 0:51 PM, TwoRockKnock said:

Well, the dockyard infrastructure was paid for by me (and my countrymen)..so it didn't cost the ACEA $100m.

Sorry, was talking about the cost of the event, which includes capital improvements, temporary improvements, and a thousand other line items.  Cost to the organizer in this case is negative, because ACEA turned a tidy profit according to my sources.

On 7/4/2017 at 2:37 PM, TwoRockKnock said:

Despite all gnashing of teeth over Coutts & Co., and their perceived motivation, more non-sailors were engaged. And that's a good thing.

More non-sailors than what?  The ratings tell a different story, and the in-person numbers were paltry, as anyone who knows the size of the island would expect.  Making the event village tiny gave it a nice atmosphere and good crowds, but the entire capacity of the entire village was something like 6000.

Lets face it the only people who watch yachting on tv, or the internet for that matter, are serious fans except for certain events like the AC for Kiwis (if they are doing well) or the S2H start for Ozzies. 

If you see it as a revenue stream you are kidding yourselves. It needs to be seen as a promotional tool for sponsors and as a interest driver amongst the sailing community. The more people that see the racing the better for sponsors and for maintaining the interest in the Cup for sailing fan base - therefore it needs to be easy and cheap to view through free to air TV in relevant nations (ie NZ) and easily accessible on the net at minimal or no cost for the rest. 

Most non yachting people I spoke to here only ever saw clips on the tv news and even if they wanted to, couldnt see it on the net. I doubt that this AC did anything to increase interest in Oz outside those already interested in it - even amongst sailors. Considering that Oz is a potential challenger going forward I think it was a pretty shortsighted approx by RC and co.

20 hours ago, MR.CLEAN said:

Sorry, was talking about the cost of the event, which includes capital improvements, temporary improvements, and a thousand other line items.  Cost to the organizer in this case is negative, because ACEA turned a tidy profit according to my sources.

From an event perspective - it was a massive success financially. I haven't seen the final numbers, but the impact across Bermuda was enormous in short term gain - visitors, yachts, imports, currency circulating in the local economy. There were huge concerns about the ability of Bermuda to host such an event, challenges with infrastructure, transport, beer (even!) and by all reasonable measures Bermuda stepped-up and some.

The long term impact, of course, is that for many super-yacht owners/skippers/crews Bermuda is now on the radar as a destination rather than just a place to stop off on a delivery and that for many, something we've all known,  it has highlighted that it's a great year round place to sail.

As a Bermudian, I'm feeling very good about the whole enterprise.

19 hours ago, MR.CLEAN said:

More non-sailors than what?  The ratings tell a different story, and the in-person numbers were paltry, as anyone who knows the size of the island would expect.  Making the event village tiny gave it a nice atmosphere and good crowds, but the entire capacity of the entire village was something like 6000.

I can only speak for Bermuda. As someone heavily involved in sailing, and junior sailing in particular, I can tell you unequivocally that the increased interest not just through Endeavour, but through our local Clubs has been significant. I can tell, that in my office, folks who are non-sailors are asking - how do they get involved, is there room for their kids in our summer program, can I can come out round the cans racing on Wednesday etc.?

If there is this even half this response in Auckland (and wherever it happens to be after that) then it should be considered a huge success. Don't we want more kids sailing? Don't I read on SA about how the sailing authorities fuck it up all over the place, and we need to make sailing accessible, fun and exciting? All the teams, but especially Artemis, OTUSA, SBTJ engaged with youngsters on a regular - I saw it with my own eyes - Jimmy "high fiving" kids in The Great Sound during training, Dean out on the water, Russell out coaching on the water. It was fantastic. For Endeavour alone, RC needs a huge "thank you".

What ever you think about RC, the format, the location and style of racing (and there were mistakes made - no one disagrees) you need to also look at the positives which were significant.

As for the size of the village, think about how many beds there are in Bermuda, how many boats, and how many of the local population would go to the village. I think it was fantastic. I think it's easy to criticize from the sidelines, but did you talk to folks at ACBDA, charged with creating the infrastructure to host the event and understand their challenges and goals? Do you know what assumptions they made and why?

If they create that atmosphere, with visiting boats, Superyachts and J-class, and make it as accessible and as fun as that in Auckland, then they'll need a serious pat on the back.

On 04/07/2017 at 8:28 PM, FromTheRail said:

.... one of the benefits of NZ winning is to clear house of shitty commentators.....

ahem .... PJ Montg, P Lester ...  ?

10 minutes ago, jaysper said:

Wotz rong wiv Lesta ?

BS fownten, spent entyr fynel rayss in San Fran frothing abowt "Herbie" , for wun

& this tym posing az insyder, gloting abowt improovments he woz privvy to   ....   got old kwik

Just now, snaerk said:

BS fownten, spent entyr fynel rayss in San Fran frothing abowt "Herbie" , for wun

& this tym posing az insyder, gloting abowt improovments he woz privvy to   ....   got old kwik

Feer enuf 

I think he was just doing the 'the booyyyyyz made some changes to our Feersum Endjinn' shtick

15 minutes ago, hoom said:

I think he was just doing the 'the booyyyyyz made some changes to our Feersum Endjinn' shtick

Yew tu? Itz kontayjus. 

32 minutes ago, hoom said:

just?

Ugh, when you gotta explain a joke where you constructed a sentence to incorporate a book title :(

12 hours ago, TwoRockKnock said:

I can only speak for Bermuda. As someone heavily involved in sailing, and junior sailing in particular, I can tell you unequivocally that the increased interest not just through Endeavour, but through our local Clubs has been significant. I can tell, that in my office, folks who are non-sailors are asking - how do they get involved, is there room for their kids in our summer program, can I can come out round the cans racing on Wednesday etc.?

If there is this even half this response in Auckland (and wherever it happens to be after that) then it should be considered a huge success. Don't we want more kids sailing? Don't I read on SA about how the sailing authorities fuck it up all over the place, and we need to make sailing accessible, fun and exciting? All the teams, but especially Artemis, OTUSA, SBTJ engaged with youngsters on a regular - I saw it with my own eyes - Jimmy "high fiving" kids in The Great Sound during training, Dean out on the water, Russell out coaching on the water. It was fantastic. For Endeavour alone, RC needs a huge "thank you".

What ever you think about RC, the format, the location and style of racing (and there were mistakes made - no one disagrees) you need to also look at the positives which were significant.

As for the size of the village, think about how many beds there are in Bermuda, how many boats, and how many of the local population would go to the village. I think it was fantastic. I think it's easy to criticize from the sidelines, but did you talk to folks at ACBDA, charged with creating the infrastructure to host the event and understand their challenges and goals? Do you know what assumptions they made and why?

If they create that atmosphere, with visiting boats, Superyachts and J-class, and make it as accessible and as fun as that in Auckland, then they'll need a serious pat on the back.

I have had only positive things to say about what the Bermudians pulled off.  The atmosphere was excellent, the village was mostly well put together, the Gosling's bar was awesome, the village was sized well considering the population. The racing was rock solid, even the one-sided finale was a good story thanks to what happened in SF, and reliable, if light, wind.

I spent a shitload of time talking to dozens of Bermudians about "Their Cup". Opinions on the island are fairly well split; people who have done well over the past 2 years were happy to have had it, while people who have not, were not.  The yacht club crowd was so excited about the dozens of racing fleets that are on their way to compete out of the new Dockyard - sounds like a great plan to me, if they let you pitch tents there!  Some powerful folks want to turn the dockyard into a theme park...The majority of locals I spoke to with no relation to the Cup or sailing (mostly when tooling around on a scooter and stopping at random shops, parks, etc) see it as a huge tax expense that they will be paying for for a long time.  Whether or not the return was worth it is a question that will need to be answered in about 5 years.

IT was great to see so many kids engaged. Again, to Bermuda, bravo.  It was a hell of a workload for such a small place, and for those there in person, it went off mostly without a hitch.

7 hours ago, hoom said:

Ugh, when you gotta explain a joke where you constructed a sentence to incorporate a book title :(

az in,  say,   "Its a nokowt punsth: for hoom, the bell toalz"    ?  

On 7/8/2017 at 9:51 PM, snaerk said:

az in,  say,   "Its a nokowt punsth: for hoom, the bell toalz"    ?  

Are you saying that with a lisp? 

25 bucks  subscription to watch...but you get a free AC36 alarm clock  ( plays a wav file of Ted Turner cursing at you, while squirting salt water on you, and finishing with a danforth airhorn blast.)

1 hour ago, trt131 said:

An old thread I know but this does not look good for free to air coverage for the next AC

https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/98137677/nz-first-policy-for-freetoair-all-blacks-tests-a-nogo-under-coalition-agreement

SkyTV in NZ is haemorrhaging subsrcibers, and will face stiff competition for Rugby with Amazon coming to NZ - they've already had preliminary discussions with Rugby NZ. Amazon has also been mentioned in relation to AC36 so it looks good...

On 7/8/2017 at 2:47 PM, hoom said:

Iain m would be proud.

TVNZ done all the broadcasting in 2000 and 2003 quite a huge effort was undertaken.
I'd expect the same again.
Sky is a dead duck if they lose the All Blacks.