• Announcements

• Zapata

Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  
Sign in to follow this  
Bus Driver

How bad could this be?

7 minutes ago, Bus Driver said:

California is the first state to say fuck you to Trump's voter fraud commission.

"The California secretary of state is refusing to comply with a request from President Donald Trump’s voter fraud commission to provide personal information about the state’s registered voters. 

Secretary of State Alex Padilla said in a statement Thursday that Trump’s voter fraud commission’s request of personal voting data on every American voter “is a waste of taxpayer money” that aims to ratify a false claim that millions voted illegally. 

California, which had more than 19.4 million registered voters as of February. is the first state to announce it will not comply with the commission’s request. Trump’s commission on Wednesday asked all states to provide personal information about registered voters. Trump has claimed, without evidence, that millions voted illegally in last year’s presidential election. 

″I will not provide sensitive voter information to a commission that has already inaccurately passed judgment that millions of Californians voted illegally,” Padilla said."

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/california-trump-voter-fraud-probe_us_5955683be4b0da2c7322389c?1dl 

2 minutes ago, Annihilator said:

I hope California fights this to the point that their electoral votes get excluded.

Suddenly they're worried about money.  You can't make this stuff up.

You must be dropping acid to have dreams that colorful.

7 minutes ago, Annihilator said:

I hope California fights this to the point that their electoral votes get excluded.

Suddenly they're worried about money.  You can't make this stuff up.

Is that how it works?  Stand up to the all-powerful Federal Government and they remove your right to elect a President?  Where is that codified, you imbecile?

But, you've just demonstrated how you are one of those "big, meddlesome government" types, who likely claims to favor a small and less intrusive government. 

9 minutes ago, Bus Driver said:

Is that how it works?  Stand up to the all-powerful Federal Government and they remove your right to elect a President?  Where is that codified, you imbecile?

But, you've just demonstrated how you are one of those "big, meddlesome government" types, who likely claims to favor a small and less intrusive government. 

The Republicans already got busted for not protecting data you would have to be a fool to release personal info to someone who would just as soon sell it for a buck.Now someone please tell me the return address for all that info is not V. Putin % Kremlin, RU

Trump will use these denials of information as proof that there was wide spread voter fraud against him.....

"Paranoia strikes deep. Into your mind it will creep...."

15 minutes ago, SV Airlie said:

I thought the asshole Trump appointed to lead this commission is in some legal difficulty. Shouldn't he be knee deep in lawyers like the rest of Trump's administration and too busy to continue with this.

No conviction = nothing to investigate.

55 minutes ago, SV Airlie said:

And Hilter started labelling the Jews and the non-ayrians in the 30's to consolidate his power. Okay, not the same but, I see similarities.

Don't forget that Donald Trump was a serious reader of Mein Kampf and kept a copy of that book by his bed.

Whatever happened to the R's holy grail of state's rights? Fed's are getting kinda bossy.

27 minutes ago, daddle said:

Whatever happened to the R's holy grail of state's rights? Fed's are getting kinda bossy.

You don't really think they mean what they say, do you?

14 hours ago, Bus Driver said:

I had to let this one sit for 24 hours as it's so fucking incomprehensible, I'd have thought it was Fike Newz!  But alas, sadly it's not.  Given our Homeland Security dude & Sessions barking about Maryjuwanna - I fear we're going o see a nice increase in the Gestapo, I mean the Federal Protective Service....  and all the good that goes with an out of control executive branch.   What better way to stop those "illegal" voters by locking up the #Resist folks?

But in his remarks today, titled “Home and Away: DHS and the Threats to America” at George Washington University Center of Cyber and Homeland Security, he said:

“Let me be clear about marijuana. It is a potentially dangerous gateway drug that frequently leads to the use of harder drugs. Additionally, science tells us that it is not only psychologically addictive but can also have profound negative impact on the still developing brains of teens and up through the early 20s. Beyond that, however, its use and possession is against federal law and until the law is changed by the U.S. Congress we in DHS are sworn to uphold all the laws on the books.”

Kelly also said the DHS will investigate marijuana trafficking into the United States and “its distribution within the homeland, and will arrest those involved in the drug trade according to federal law. CBP will continue to search for marijuana at sea, air and land ports of entry and when found take similar appropriate action.”

“ICE will continue to use marijuana possession, distribution and convictions as essential elements as they build their deportation/removal apprehension packages for targeted operations against illegal aliens. They have done this in the past, are doing it today and will do it in the future.”

Dubbing marijuana an “essential element” in determining deportation reflects Attorney General Jeff Sessions’ ideology on the brutality of the drug. Last month Sessions said:

“I reject the idea that America will be a better place if marijuana is sold in every corner store. And I am astonished to hear people suggest that we can solve our heroin crisis by legalizing marijuana — so people can trade one life-wrecking dependency for another that’s only slightly less awful.”

Sessions has also made it clear that he wants to revive the drug war that quadrupled the prison population, as well as roll back Obama-era policies aimed at reducing mass incarceration.

6 minutes ago, Turd Sandwich said:

Perhaps someone should change the law. I dont agree with it either but the law is the law. This new found dont enforce ones that fall from grace is bullshit

I'm sure you will appreciate the increase in Fed Protective Services.  Right up your alley.

31 minutes ago, Turd Sandwich said:
1 hour ago, badlatitude said:

Don't forget that Donald Trump was a serious reader of Mein Kampf and kept a copy of that book by his bed.

Where in the fuck do you come up with such verified gems to regale us with. Now if you said Trump only reads comic books or Hustler i might believe you 

I think that was sarcasm.

1- Trump isn't a serious anything

2- Trump isn't a reader

OTOH maybe BL meant Bannon.

-DSK

Just now, Steam Flyer said:

2- Trump isn't a reader

-DSK

Nope, the source was a 1990 Vanity Fair interview with his then wife Ivana. The actual documents were "My New Order" a collection of Hitler speeches. Although he did read Mein Kampf at one time.

Just now, badlatitude said:
4 minutes ago, Steam Flyer said:

2- Trump isn't a reader

Nope, the source was a 1990 Vanity Fair interview with his then wife Ivana. The actual documents were "My New Order" a collection of Hitler speeches. Although he did read Mein Kampf at one time.

OK

Wow.

-DSK

Imagine if BO had requested all the gun ownership records...with SS numbers...address...everything.

1 minute ago, Turd Sandwich said:

With Trumps lack of command of the English language i doubt he could get through Mien Kamph  

Maybe he read it in original German.

Just now, Turd Sandwich said:

Covefefe bitches

My wednesday night beer can ride is named Covfefe

and we're kicking ass

3 minutes ago, badlatitude said:

Yes, but it was the comic book version. 

IMG_2983.JPG

" Massachusetts Secretary of State William Galvin, also a Democrat, refused to give voting information for a different reason. “They’re not going to get it,” said Brian McNiff, a spokesman for Galvin. “It’s not a public record.” Massachusetts law specifies that the voter data “shall not be a public record.”  http://ourfuturesucks.com/2017/06/30/multiple-states-reject-request-from-trumps-voter-fraud-commission-to-provide-voter-roll-data/

So which state will be first to throw it's residents under the bus? Florida?......... Texas?................... South Carolina?................. My bet's on Utah..... Those people just love making lists of names.....

Sure is good to see the Republicans defending the citizens against the evils of big government.

To think you can trust republicans with everyone's name, DOB and SSN and have them give it to the Russians is amazing.

Just now, SV Airlie said:

POOR TRUMP, something else which didn't go off as he planned.

Exactly,  No state is going to give up Social Security info, he must think they are all stupid.

9 minutes ago, badlatitude said:

Exactly,  No state is going to give up Social Security info, he must think they are all stupid.

I bet Texas complies...

Just now, Raz'r said:

I bet Texas complies...

Utah, Florida, South Carolina, Idaho, Nebraska, Wyoming, Maine, Georgia, Alabama, Mississippi, Oklahoma, Arkansas, Alaska, Future Comrades all.

Just now, Sol Rosenberg said:

Yes, I am sure that Pam Bondi will gladly hand over my information.  

I bet it gives you a warm tingly that the National Republicans will be able to cross reference your SS# and voting records.

1 minute ago, Raz'r said:

I bet it gives you a warm tingly that the National Republicans will be able to cross reference your SS# and voting records.

Neither party will have much use for my voting records...and I'm good with that.  

How comforting for those who will lose their privacy.

"President Donald Trump’s latest pick to help run the election commission will not ease the concerns of several state officials who already refusing to comply with the commission’s invasive probe. Hans von Spakovsky, a Heritage Foundation fellow known for hyping the voter fraud narrative for decades, was chosen Thursday by the Trump administration to another well-known advocate of voting restrictions, Kris Kobach, in a national voter fraud investigation. 

Trump, along with other Republicans who embrace voter suppression, point to the work of von Spakovsky to peddle the myth of massive voter fraud. However, von Spakovsky has a history of exaggerating the prevailing nature of voter fraud, according to the Huffington Post. To the point, the White House has failed to provide any evidence of the president’s claim that over 3 million people illegally voted in California during the 2016 election.............................."

http://www.salon.com/2017/06/30/trump-stacks-his-voter-integrity-commission-with-the-nations-leading-voter-suppression-architects/

Bless their redneck hearts, I was wrong about Mississippi.

"Mississippi Secretary of State Delbert Hosemann (R) announced Friday that the state would join more than 20 others refusing to turn over voter roll data to President Trump's voter fraud commission, adding that members of the panel could "go jump in the Gulf of Mexico." 

The voter fraud commission on Thursday sent letters to all 50 states asking for voters' names, birthdays, the last four digits of their Social Security numbers and their voting history dating back to 2006. 

Hosemann said in a statement that he hadn't yet received such a letter, but when he did his response would be: "They can go jump in the Gulf of Mexico and Mississippi is a great State to launch from." 

"Mississippi residents should celebrate Independence Day and our State’s right to protect the privacy of our citizens by conducting our own electoral processes,” his statement continued.

http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing-room/news/340307-miss-official-on-trump-voter-fraud-request-they-can-go-jump-in

Funny they aren't asking for our mother's maiden name, the name of our first pet, the hospital we were born in....... I mean, if they really want to do identity theft properly, these are key items.....

Wait, they still call that the Gulf of

Mexico? Maybe should be renamed to Trump Lake or something.

Does 'Mein Kampf' come as an Audible book? If not, I doubt that Donald has read it. 

He is in luck!

https://www.audible.com/pd/Bios-Memoirs/Mein-Kampf-The-Ford-Translation-Audiobook/B009AEUECG

Funny thing is that on that webpage for the audible books, there is the 'people who bought this also bought' Trump's 'Art of the Deal'! Keeping good company on that list!

Hitler, Marx, and Heydrich! Wait for it, scroll to the right and there are Rudolf Hoess (Auschwitz) and Heinrich Himmler (Gestapo). 

ROQNypG.png

Hate to break it you all, but several states already provide this info online. A couple of entrepreneurs are slicing and dicing this for everything from local/statewide political campaigns to jury selection.  Just a sample:

http://voterdataonline.com/

http://www.jurorhistory.com/

Welcome to big brother.

Wow!

Once they start cross referencing this data with other databases such as the census & whatever they get from the Kremlin, we'll have voter suppression on steroids.

Brought to you by the party that can't win elections without cheating - gerrymandering, vote suppression, baseless investigations into political rivals and now apparently colluding with a hostile foreign government.

Perhaps they should just try to find a platform that's actually good for the country and it's people rather than themselves, or at the very least less abhorrent to most.

1 hour ago, Sol Rosenberg said:

Neither party will have much use for my voting records...and I'm good with that.  

The Party won't, but the Russians will have a field day with your PII.

Up to 24 states now. I think you can call this a crisis of Trumpian dimensions.

Arizona, California, Connecticut, Indiana, Iowa, Kentucky, Massachusetts, Minnesota, Mississippi, New Mexico, Nevada, New York, North Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Vermont, Virginia, and Wisconsin.

5 hours ago, Raz'r said:

Voting records?

Do you have your votes recorded by name or something? No secret ballot?

Sounds a bit funky to me.

7 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:

Voting records?

Do you have your votes recorded by name or something? No secret ballot?

Sounds a bit funky to me.

Not the recorded vote, rather your declared political party & address.

"papers please"

21 minutes ago, badlatitude said:

Old people don't like their Social Security numbers fooled with. Add Oregon to the list.

Keep your govt hands off my Social Security!

likely Trump voter protest sign

11 hours ago, Raz'r said:

Wait, they still call that the Gulf of

Mexico? Maybe should be renamed to Trump Lake or something.

Bay of Trumpkin has a familiar sounding name......

8 hours ago, poopie pants said:

Two dozen Democrats get behind bill to lay foundation for removing Trump for being mentally 'incapacitated' (but they'd need Mike Pence to agree)

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4655964/Democrats-lay-foundation-remove-Trump-mental-grounds.html#ixzz4lYIVNAq8 

Living in an alternate reality is certainly grounds for mental incapacity

1 minute ago, billy backstay said:

Covfefe grounds? :D

1 hour ago, billy backstay said:

agreeded dem democrats r livin in a alternate reality 

It looks like Donnie is not going to get his wish for personal info on every American voter. Nearly every state has said they will not provide Social Security or birth dates. Donald Trump lives in an alternate reality thinking there were fraudulent voters and that he could even imagine he was entitled to personal information no American should have to share.

44 minutes ago, badlatitude said:

It looks like Donnie is not going to get his wish for personal info on every American voter. Nearly every state has said they will not provide Social Security or birth dates. Donald Trump lives in an alternate reality thinking there were fraudulent voters and that he could even imagine he was entitled to personal information no American should have to share.

B-b-but he's the President now! Doesn't that mean he basically owns America and every American, and has a natural right to demand ALL personal & private data on his loyal subjects?

-DSK

6 hours ago, Mrleft8 said:

Bay of Trumpkin has a familiar sounding name......

Most excellent

On 30/06/2017 at 4:00 PM, SV Airlie said:

I know, that's why I posted.

But does Trump have the intellectual skill set to understand what he read? 

10 minutes ago, Spatial Ed said:

Of all 50 states, I hardly expected Colorado to be one of the devotees to Club Trump.

Just three states -- Colorado, Missouri and Tennessee -- commended Kobach's attempt to investigate voter fraud in their respective statements.
"We are very glad they are asking for information before making decisions," said Colorado Secretary of State Wayne Williams, a Republican. "I wish more federal agencies would ask folks for their opinion and for information before they made decisions."
Missouri Secretary of State Jay Ashcroft, also a Republican, echoed Williams' sentiment in a statement Friday: "The commission's questions are fair and we will be glad to assist in offering our thoughts on these important matters," he said. "I look forward to working with Sec. Kris Kobach and the commission on its findings and offer our support in the collective effort to enhance the American people's confidence in the integrity of the elections process."

28 minutes ago, badlatitude said:

Of all 50 states, I hardly expected Colorado to be one of the devotees to Club Trump.

Just three states -- Colorado, Missouri and Tennessee -- commended Kobach's attempt to investigate voter fraud in their respective statements.
"We are very glad they are asking for information before making decisions," said Colorado Secretary of State Wayne Williams, a Republican. "I wish more federal agencies would ask folks for their opinion and for information before they made decisions."
Missouri Secretary of State Jay Ashcroft, also a Republican, echoed Williams' sentiment in a statement Friday: "The commission's questions are fair and we will be glad to assist in offering our thoughts on these important matters," he said. "I look forward to working with Sec. Kris Kobach and the commission on its findings and offer our support in the collective effort to enhance the American people's confidence in the integrity of the elections process."

Brown nosed fuck arounds............ Remind me of the Alpha Frat boys in "Animal House".

9 minutes ago, SV Airlie said:

I wonder when Trump will brand people's thumbs to show that we are democrats? Maybe we'll have to start wearing arm bands with a big "D"on them?

Makes it easier to round us up and send us to Re-education camps.

Just a matter of time.

iraq-vote-purple-finger.png

1 hour ago, SV Airlie said:

I wonder when Trump will brand people's thumbs to show that we are democrats? Maybe we'll have to start wearing arm bands with a big "D"on them?

Makes it easier to round us up and send us to Re-education camps.

You're probably dumb enough to let the government do that to you.

On 6/30/2017 at 9:41 AM, daddle said:

Imagine if BO had requested all the gun ownership records...with SS numbers...address...everything.

Troublemaker.

And so it begins -

"Commence the purging of all who oppose us"

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/department-of-justice-voter-purge_us_595d22b1e4b0da2c7326c38b?1g9&ncid=inblnkushpmg00000009

This DOJ Letter May Be More Alarming Than Trump Commission’s Request For Voter Data

“I really worry that at the end of the day there’s gonna be a lot of noise about this Kobach-Pence commission and people will miss the enforcement efforts of DOJ.”

Former Department of Justice officials and voting advocates are seriously alarmed over a DOJ letter sent to states last week that they say could signal a forthcoming effort to kick people off voter rolls. This comes as national attention focuses on several states blocking a request for voter information from President Donald Trump’s commission to investigate voting fraud, which does occur, but is not a widespread problem.

The DOJ sent the letter to 44 states last Wednesday, the same day the Presidential Advisory Commission on Election Integrity sent a letter controversially requesting personal voter information. The DOJ letter requests that election officials respond by detailing their compliance with a section of the National Voter Registration Act of 1993 (NVRA), which covers 44 states and was enacted to help people register to vote, but also specifies when voters may be kicked off the rolls. 

Several experts said it’s difficult not to see the DOJ letter in connection with the commission’s letter as part of a multipronged effort to restrict voting rights. 

Former Justice Department officials say that while there’s nothing notable about seeking information about compliance with the NVRA, it is unusual for the department to send out such a broad inquiry to so many states seeking information. Such a wide probe could signal the department is broadly fishing for cases of non-compliance to bring suits aimed at purging the voter rolls.

“These two letters, sent on the same day, are highly suspect, and seem to confirm that the Trump administration is laying the groundwork to suppress the right to vote,” said Vanita Gupta, the CEO of the Leadership Conference on Civil and Human Rights and former head of DOJ’s civil rights division under President Barack Obama. “It is not normal for the Department of Justice to ask for voting data from all states covered by the National Voter Registration Act. It’s likely that this is instead the beginning of an effort to force unwarranted voter purges.”

These two letters, sent on the same day, are highly suspect, and seem to confirm that the Trump administration is laying the groundwork to suppress the right to vote. Vanita Gupta, head of DOJ’s civil rights division under President Barack Obama.

“If this went to any individual states, I don’t think anybody would’ve blinked twice,” said Justin Levitt, a professor at Loyola Law School who served as deputy assistant attorney general in the civil rights division in the Obama administration. The letter asked for public information that was uncontroversial, he added, but what made the letter “really weird” was that it was sent out to so many states.

“The Department of Justice does investigations all the time, but those are usually based on individualized predicates to believe that there’s a problem in a given area, in a given jurisdiction. And I’m not aware of a similar letter being sent to blanket jurisdictions across the country,” he said.

The NVRA requires states to “conduct a general program that makes a reasonable effort to remove the names of ineligible voters from the official lists.” If a state wants to act to remove a voter from its rolls, it must first send a broad, nondiscriminatory solicitation seeking a confirmation of address to those registered. If a person fails to respond, they can only be removed from the rolls if they don’t vote in the next two consecutive federal elections.

In the past, voting rights groups have used the legislation as a powerful tool to try to prevent states from kicking eligible voters off their rolls. The Supreme Court will consider a case next term dealing with whether a voter removal process used in Ohio is violating the NVRA.

The DOJ letter asks the states covered by the NVRA to provide information on the processes they use to remove people from the voting lists and the people authorized to implement them. It also asks for data from recent years on the number of voters removed from the voting rolls and the reasons they were removed.

“When you see DOJ send a bunch of letters like this requesting information about compliance with the law, that’s usually a sign that they’re kicking an enforcement campaign into gear,” Sam Bagenstos, who served as the principal deputy assistant attorney general for civil rights from 2009 until 2011. “It looks like what they’re doing is they’re laying the groundwork to file lawsuits against states that, in their view, aren’t kicking enough people off of the rolls.”

“It looks like what they’re doing is they’re laying the groundwork to file lawsuits against states that, in their view, aren’t kicking enough people off of the rolls.” Sam Bagenstos, former principal deputy assistant attorney general for civil rights

Devin O’Malley, a Justice Department spokesman, said the department’s review of list maintenance procedures hadn’t been done in many years.

“The Department of Justice is committed to free and fair elections for all Americans. Congress enacted the NVRA’s list-maintenance provisions specifically to advance that goal. The Department had not conducted a review of state and local list-maintenance activities under the NVRA for many years,” he said in a statement. “The Department looks forward to working with state and local election officials to facilitate appropriate list-maintenance activities toward our common goal of free and fair elections for all voters.”

A DOJ official also said the department had not coordinated with the separate election integrity commission.

But Bagenstos said he was skeptical the two efforts weren’t related and were part of a multifaceted approach by the Trump administration to make voting more difficult.

“What an amazing coincidence that these letters went out on the same day. This administration is, without even knowing it, doing parallel efforts to try to trim the voting roll. I don’t buy it,” he said. He added that the voter fraud commission led by Vice President Mike Pence and Kansas Secretary of State Kris Kobach was trying to create a nationwide database of voter registration that would paint a picture of potential voter fraud that could then be used to justify more restrictive voting laws.

David Becker, the executive director of the Center for Election Innovation and a former DOJ lawyer, agrees.

“In the quarter-century since passage of the NVRA, of which I spent seven years as a DOJ lawyer enforcing the NVRA, among other laws, I do not know of the DOJ conducting any other broad-based fishing expedition into list maintenance compliance, whether during Democratic or Republican administrations,” he wrote in a Thursday op-ed. Becker also noted it was strange the DOJ letter only focused on voter list maintenance procedures and did not want to examine compliance with parts of the law aimed at making it easier to vote. 

Allegra Chapman, director of voting and elections at nonprofit group Common Cause, said she found it striking the DOJ was uninterested in the aspect of the law that provided voter registration opportunities at public assistance agencies. 

“To me, that indicates this agency just has zero interest in ensuring the rights of poor Americans too and ensuring that, you know, people across the income divide are equally being given the registration services that they’re entitled to under federal law,” she said in an interview.

While Bagenstos said he was alarmed by both the Kobach and DOJ requests, he believed the department could be a much more potent tool in curbing access to the ballot box.

“On Kris Kobach’s work on this commission, they’re going to get a lot of pushback, they’ve already gotten some pushback from states. It’s all been sort of ham-handed,” he said. “They don’t really have staff, so that’s all really amateurish and it might not go anywhere. But the folks at DOJ know what they’re doing and I really worry that at the end of the day there’s gonna be a lot of noise about this Kobach-Pence commission and people will miss the enforcement efforts of DOJ.”

“DOJ, at the end of the day, is more likely to be successful as a tool in this process than is this commission, so that’s why I worry more about them,” he said.

Read the DOJ letter below:

4 minutes ago, Bus Driver said:

"It’s about as welcoming as a breeze off an outhouse."

In the 2016 election, 62.5% of Kentucky voters cast their ballot for President Trump.  I wonder how they feel about his request to gather this information?

37.5 percent of Kentuckian are worried.    

It is ironic if this heavy handed intimidation of non Trump voters is thwarted not by checks and balances, but a bureaucratic technicality of the paperwork reduction act of   1980.    

I am at a loss to understand how meaningful this stupidity is.   Didn't a Republican electioneering company accidently leave all this information online a few weeks ago?    Don't both political machines know all this?    Isn't this the information used so successfully to gerrymander districts and prevent minority parties like Democrats from having a voice, or majority candidates like that female senator who must not be named?