Sign in to follow this  
Elliot7

Fair price for a J92?

I know guys are asking just under $40k for the older model ones, but this just seems very high for a 20+year old boat, with reasonable but certainly not new sails and rigging.   Any insight what they actually sell for?  

I have seen the boat in SF and she looks really clean. Not sure what the story is on that boat. Been on the market for some time.  There was an offer but something went wrong. Price a little high?

Bump.  Different boat, same question.  Fresh water classic 92.  Very good condition.  2 NIB sails.  3 4-year old sails.  New running rigging.  New Triad Trailer.  Asking $65K.  Seems extremely high for this boat.

There is one listed for $40k here...

http://www.sailboatlistings.com/cgi-bin/saildata/db.cgi?uid=default&manufacturer=J%20Boats&view_records=1&sb=date&so=descend

First you have to find one, then convince the owner to sell.  $65K may not be too high for a nice example.

These are not your run-of-the-mill J/105 - 3,000# lighter and with a bigger kite.  Awesome offshore.  More stable than a J/88, less than half the cost and a MUCH better rating.

10 hours ago, starsinker said:

This guy wouldn’t return email inquiries.  Maybe fealt there was enough of a local market to not offer any other information without an in-person visit.  Wasn’t worth an 8-hour Drive one way to be disappointed.  Needs new sails. Trailer is...4 wheels and steel.  Anyway, I’m sure it will make someone happy, just not us.

I saw one go for IIRC $15-17k a couple years ago, clapped out, no sails in need of a running rigging refit, no trailer.  Engine ran fine and the interior - stripped out version - was clean enough.  YMMV.