• Announcements

    • Zapata

      Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

      Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  
Sign in to follow this  
mikewof

Garlic plantation in India

Recommended Posts

16 minutes ago, Snaggletooth said:

why our thay keepeg that seacrette? 

Because if everyone knew how easy it is to plant garlic, then everyone would plant it, it would be just like Google's fake base on Mars from that movie.

That "soil" is pretty rough. If they can grow it there, it can be grown anywhere. And you can just break apart the bulb of garlic and plant each segment like that?

Turns out garlic and honey will make your El Presidente bigger ... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YXQQvlKOwG0

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's part of their plot to take over the world, IBM, and Dunking Donuts. Not necessarily in that order.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, 4ktsb said:

It's part of their plot to take over the world, IBM, and Dunking Donuts. Not necessarily in that order.

Fucking Google!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Apologies on the thread shift, I'm just really into the garden right now. Anyone have any ideas how I can get those rapidly spreading raspberry bushes to actually make some damned berries? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, mikewof said:

Apologies on the thread shift, I'm just really into the garden right now. Anyone have any ideas how I can get those rapidly spreading raspberry bushes to actually make some damned berries? 

cut downe prevouse yeares stalkes, berries onley growe on niew stalkles, litey water dailley.  Usse of netteng to keepe birds off fruite

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, mikewof said:

Apologies on the thread shift, I'm just really into the garden right now. Anyone have any ideas how I can get those rapidly spreading raspberry bushes to actually make some damned berries? 

Cut em down to about knee high. You'll get a small autumn crop. When they die back in winter, cut em down to knee high again. You should get a larger late spring/early summer crop, and then another mid autumn crop.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Buy garlic specifically for planting. The stuff in the grocery store doesnt grow well. Also the 2 basic types grow better in different regions. So research a little to find out if you need softneck or hardneck. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, chinabald said:

Buy garlic specifically for planting. The stuff in the grocery store doesnt grow well. Also the 2 basic types grow better in different regions. So research a little to find out if you need softneck or hardneck. 

^^^X10

I got "braiding garlic" when I lived in New England..... It spread very nicely, but never made bulbs.

I planted hard neck garlic here in N.Fla. and it did very nicely, then with a poof! disappeared.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've got fucking raccoons ripping the shit out of my garden. Where's Da Woody? Does Black Pepper work?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Mrleft8 said:

Cut em down to about knee high. You'll get a small autumn crop. When they die back in winter, cut em down to knee high again. You should get a larger late spring/early summer crop, and then another mid autumn crop.

Cut them in the spring? Too late to cut them now? They're already about knee high. 

I put a bunch of that fish fertilizer down, hopefully that will encourage flowering.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, mikewof said:

Cut them in the spring? Too late to cut them now? They're already about knee high. 

I put a bunch of that fish fertilizer down, hopefully that will encourage flowering.

Nah.... Cut em back. Given enough water and sun they'll bounce right back.....

Where are you?

 I've had trouble with sun scorching in Fla. But up north they just keep on coming back.

 

(They should be waist-shoulder high before they really start producing baskets of berries)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Mrleft8 said:

Nah.... Cut em back. Given enough water and sun they'll bounce right back.....

Where are you?

 I've had trouble with sun scorching in Fla. But up north they just keep on coming back.

 

(They should be waist-shoulder high before they really start producing baskets of berries)

Youre askseng Micke whearre he is? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, mikewof said:

[snip] I put a bunch of that fish fertilizer down, hopefully that will encourage flowering.

here in downunderland we are told fish fertilizer (sold here as a liquid emulsion) is best for encouraging root growth only, to encourage fruiting to use phosphorous rich fertilizer. Found the following in an SFO publication, cant vouch for authenticity - but it agree's with me so must be good !

How to Fertilize for Fruit Production c/- SFgate

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Merrill Levi said:

here in downunderland we are told fish fertilizer (sold here as a liquid emulsion) is best for encouraging root growth only, to encourage fruiting to use phosphorous rich fertilizer. Found the following in an SFO publication, cant vouch for authenticity - but it agree's with me so must be good !

How to Fertilize for Fruit Production c/- SFgate

Thanks, I've heard that phosphorus is good for that, kinda makes sense, the strawberries fruited like mad last year, they might have pulled too much of the phosphorus out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Snaggletooth said:

Youre askseng Micke whearre he is? 

I think so.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Mrleft8 said:

I think so.

Colorado, about 6,500 feet, raspberries normally grow very well here, I think my soil is just a little fucked. Seeing how quickly they grow, I would like to just plant those and blackberry bushes all along the fence line, let the deer nibble at their side, and the kids nibble on our side. But I need to figure out the soil balance first. I see a guy at work take the coffee ground all year for his flowering plants. I thought he was a little over-ambitious, now I see he had the right idea all along.

Do you recommend cutting them down in the late fall before winter comes, or in the late winter before Spring comes?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, mikewof said:

Thanks, I've heard that phosphorus is good for that, kinda makes sense, the strawberries fruited like mad last year, they might have pulled too much of the phosphorus out.

Nitrogen heavy fertilizer will grow the green, and to much nitrogen will continue to grow the green parts and restrict fruit growth.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/1/2017 at 2:19 PM, mikewof said:

Fucking Google!

 

If he was so set on maximising production, he wouldn't have created the daft wee wooden boxes. 

Just dig up your fucking back yard, and plant shit! moron

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, mikewof said:

Colorado, about 6,500 feet, raspberries normally grow very well here, I think my soil is just a little fucked. Seeing how quickly they grow, I would like to just plant those and blackberry bushes all along the fence line, let the deer nibble at their side, and the kids nibble on our side. But I need to figure out the soil balance first. I see a guy at work take the coffee ground all year for his flowering plants. I thought he was a little over-ambitious, now I see he had the right idea all along.

Do you recommend cutting them down in the late fall before winter comes, or in the late winter before Spring comes?

Late winter, after the freeze burn, but before you start to see the tiny green buds. If you trim them in late fall the newly exposed "wood" can be damaged by heavy freezes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Derek Grebe said:

If he was so set on maximising production, he wouldn't have created the daft wee wooden boxes. 

Just dig up your fucking back yard, and plant shit! moron

Most gardening methods and spacing are based on the machinery needs instead of the plants needs. The boxes are so you can get deeper soil that is not compacted by walking and by tillers. Why dig up the whole backyard when this method actually works better?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, chinabald said:

Most gardening methods and spacing are based on the machinery needs instead of the plants needs. The boxes are so you can get deeper soil that is not compacted by walking and by tillers. Why dig up the whole backyard when this method actually works better?

the 'walkway' need only be 12" wide, and only in one direction. His machinery is his hands.he can't get a decent tiller in those beds. It's a one afternoon job to dig that lot over by hand, anyway.

OK - he might have rock 5" down, but probably not.

Its wanky urban gardening for youtube, not sustainable food production.

(grew up on farm, grew my own veg for years before moving to the desert..)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In other news, my Charentaise melon plants are doing nicely this year.  Hope I get a bunch, because they are quite delicious (if you like cantaloupe).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Mismoyled Jiblet. said:

shotgun for trash pandas.

Trash Pandas! LMFAO!

I saw a trash panda last night, cute little fucker climbed down into the storm drain. I'll add, our coonhound knows few pleasures greater than murdering trash pandas. I assume it's a form of meditation for her.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Derek Grebe said:

the 'walkway' need only be 12" wide, and only in one direction. His machinery is his hands.he can't get a decent tiller in those beds. It's a one afternoon job to dig that lot over by hand, anyway.

OK - he might have rock 5" down, but probably not.

Its wanky urban gardening for youtube, not sustainable food production.

(grew up on farm, grew my own veg for years before moving to the desert..)

For farming, yes that would be difficult to manage. For a kitchen garden, its the way to go. I've done it both ways. The raised beds with intensive rows are much easier to maintain and the amount of yield is far greater. Not to mention easier to cover if necessary.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My next raised bed gardens are going to be waist high. With built in drip irrigation, and an electric strip aound the base to kill crawling critters like stink bugs, caterpillars, and other eaty things..... Maybe neck high electric to dissuade the fucking deer that have clearly paid the dog off.....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this