• Announcements

• Zapata

Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  
Nicholas

Flying dutchman restoration project

23 posts in this topic

I have recently bought an old wooden fd that needs some work but the hull is nice and sound . I have never sailed an fd before yet ever seen another one but my own . So I'm probably going to run into rigging problems at the end . I figured you guys might have some good ideas and knowledge about the boat since I'm only 16

Search the forum, there are a few threads on this...

Good luck

3 minutes ago, chuso007 said:

Search the forum, there are a few threads on this...

Good luck

Thank you I'll be sure to check them out  

Second the "look at other forums" as there are at least two FD restorations underway (one in New Zealand and one in Greece).

There are others on this forum that have related experience just not with wooden FD's. I am working on a wooden 1946 Thistle (17 ft; popular in the US) of hot molded construction. Advise to spend a lot of time doing your "homework" before jumping in with chisels, planes, saws and epoxy!

Post a few pictures showing good and bad sections of your boat.

You've probably found these via Google but just in case...

http://epoxyworks.com/index.php/flying-dutchman-restoration/

https://www.boatdesign.net/threads/flying-dutchman-restoration-project.7857/

I'm busy cutting new sheets of marine ply for the deck then I'll give it 2 coats of penetration epoxy to just give it some strength 

21 hours ago, Alan Crawford said:

Second the "look at other forums" as there are at least two FD restorations underway (one in New Zealand and one in Greece).

There are others on this forum that have related experience just not with wooden FD's. I am working on a wooden 1946 Thistle (17 ft; popular in the US) of hot molded construction. Advise to spend a lot of time doing your "homework" before jumping in with chisels, planes, saws and epoxy!

Post a few pictures showing good and bad sections of your boat.

You've probably found these via Google but just in case...

http://epoxyworks.com/index.php/flying-dutchman-restoration/

https://www.boatdesign.net/threads/flying-dutchman-restoration-project.7857/

How's you're boat going ?

Where do you live Nicholas?

That hull still seems to be in good shape. All the best with your project.

Regards from St Francis Bay.

3 minutes ago, trisail said:

Where do you live Nicholas?

That hull still seems to be in good shape. All the best with your project.

Regards from St Francis Bay.

I live in south africa cape town  . And thank you 

From those pictures your boat looks to be in quite good condition but it's hard to tell if there is any dry rot lurking in some small part of the hull. Any dark areas should be carefully examined. 

Do you know if the hull is sheathed in a thin layer of glass? If so, I would be careful as the glass can hide some dry rot.

Do you have any history of the boat, i.e. year built, builder and so on? 

What are your overall restoration plans? Full epoxy saturation of the hull / cockpit / structural frames? That's the best way to go but time consuming.

I have checked for rot only a bit on the rail witch will be an easy job . I have non of this boats history . But I do have a very old sail number on one of the sails SA19 I would like to know about where it came from and all . And no there is no the is not any glass in the boat . I am going to keep the cockpit just epoxy . The hull I have to paint because of cost and the deck I can go ether way paint or epoxy with varnish 

If it's a boat for pottering, I'd really think about rigging with a 100-ish% jib, (as per original, original design), rather than the genoa. Means you won't need a gorilla to crew for every time you go sailing. 

Are there any photos from the first IYRU trials in '52 at Muiden on the Ijsselmeer anywhere? 

4 minutes ago, Presuming Ed said:

If it's a boat for pottering, I'd really think about rigging with a 100-ish% jib, (as per original, original design), rather than the genoa. Means you won't need a gorilla to crew for every time you go sailing. 

Are there any photos from the first IYRU trials in '52 at Muiden on the Ijsselmeer anywhere? 

I have a pair of some very nice sails that dose include a perfect condition main and huge Genoa and a old spinnaker 

IYRU trails ?

On 7/10/2017 at 6:18 PM, Nicholas said:

I have a pair of some very nice sails that dose include a perfect condition main and huge Genoa and a old spinnaker 

IYRU trails ?

FD history

It was in the late 40’s that the IYRU (now ISAF) instigated a new modern 2-man international dinghy, the Tornado. She was not a success as there was no leap forward compared to the existing pre-war classes.

The Royal Loosdrecht Yacht Club, Conrad Gulcher’s club, obtained half a dozen Tornados and found them very uninspiring to say the least! Conrad had always been very interested in dinghy sailing and had collected any documentation connected with it. Pre-war he had enjoyed some international sailing in Germany and the UK and he had made many friends in the dinghy sailing scene. He imagined that with modern construction methods, moulded ply, a better boat could be constructed.

Being an Insurance Broker and not a designer he enlisted the help of Uus Van Essen, a naval architect and measurer for the Dutch Yacht Federation. They made a preliminary design and early in September 1951 it was sent to 30 top class helmsmen in Europe including Bossom (Z — SUI), John Cahmier (K -GBR), Charles Curry (K — GBR), Manfried Curry (G — GER), Ferry Laagwater (H — NED),Stewart Morris (K — GBR), Morits Skaugen (N — NOR) and Shorty Trimingham (KZB — BER), with the request to comment within two weeks.

The measurements were similar to the 15m2 Wanderjolle of mid-European lakes and popular Flying Fifteen. By the end of September 23 responses had been returned with sufficient new and sound ideas to redesign the boat.

Mr. Loeft, chairman of the CBC, was prepared to discuss the boat at the November meeting of the IYRU, only when he had seen her sail! This was hardly feasible but Conrad had the mould and hull built in one week and the boat finished in another! Complete with the Tornado rig it took to the water against the 12m2 Sharpie and Tornado at Loosdrecht one week before the IYRU meetings and Mr Loeff took the plans to the IYRU for discussion.

Then it was decided to hold trials in the summer of 1952 in Holland and the name the “Flying Dutchman‘ was born, suggested by Sir Peter Scott, the then president of the IYRU. 

The trials were held on the Loodrecht lakes and on the open waher of the Zuidelzee at Muidenr 17 boats participated, some especially designed like the Osprey and Typhoon, others were existing classes including Hornet, Caneton, Thistle, Sharpie, Rennjolle etc. The results were clear and the FD was adopted however with the limitation ‘for continental lakes only’ and another set of trials was set up for 1953 at La Baule on the open sea.

In the mean time the small jib was replaced with the Genoa (PE - my emphasis) and a trapeze was added. The FD is known as a innovative class that embraces developing initiatives as soon as proven sufficient and effective. At La Baule there were again specially designed boats such as the Coronet, a smaller version of which later became the 505. Off the wind the Coronet with her bigger spinnaker and mainsail was faster (this is not just a recent problem!) but on the wind the FD won.

On July 10, 2017 at 6:18 PM, Nicholas said:

I have checked for rot only a bit on the rail witch will be an easy job . I have non of this boats history . But I do have a very old sail number on one of the sails SA19 I would like to know about where it came from and all . And no there is no the is not any glass in the boat . I am going to keep the cockpit just epoxy . The hull I have to paint because of cost and the deck I can go ether way paint or epoxy with varnish 

Good evening Nicholas,

Your boat looks too new to be SA 19.

If you want some background and info on your FD, in Cape Town, try and track down Gerhard Koper. Ask around at Zeekoe Vlei Yacht Club where to find him. He is an architect and a former SA FD champ from the old days. He will be able to give you some background about your boat. Also check via SA Sailing for the FD class association contact persons. Class associations are usually very keen to help newcomers to get onto the water.

Another old days FD sailor who can assist with info on your boat will be Al Leenstra. Contact him via Aeolians YC in Gauteng.

This looks like a great project to get back onto the water.

On 12/07/2017 at 9:51 PM, trisail said:

Good evening Nicholas,

Your boat looks too new to be SA 19.

If you want some background and info on your FD, in Cape Town, try and track down Gerhard Koper. Ask around at Zeekoe Vlei Yacht Club where to find him. He is an architect and a former SA FD champ from the old days. He will be able to give you some background about your boat. Also check via SA Sailing for the FD class association contact persons. Class associations are usually very keen to help newcomers to get onto the water.

Another old days FD sailor who can assist with info on your boat will be Al Leenstra. Contact him via Aeolians YC in Gauteng.

This looks like a great project to get back onto the water.

Thank you I'll be sure to ask at zeekoe vlei and I'll post any info if I get any on this boats history . Thank you

I have finally finished putting epoxy on the deck and put the deck on the boat 

PART_1501517494834.jpeg

Nice job! Nothing quite as pretty as a wooden boat. Enjoy her.

18 minutes ago, xonk1 said:

Nice job! Nothing quite as pretty as a wooden boat. Enjoy her.

Thank you 

Nice project

Here is a cool article from a great blog about the early FDs

https://sailcraftblog.wordpress.com/2016/08/17/olympic-classes-pt-3-this-was-considered-revolutionary-the-flying-dutchman-and-the-trapeze/

i some time run a small jib from a 505 on my FD but usually just furl the genoa if i get overpowered.

4 hours ago, wannabefd said:

Nice project

https://sailcraftblog.wordpress.com/2016/08/17/olympic-classes-pt-3-this-was-considered-revolutionary-the-flying-dutchman-and-the-trapeze/

i some time run a small jib from a 505 on my FD but usually just furl the genoa if i get overpowered.

Thanks for that I read the whole thing it was very interesting ! Unfortunately I only have the big Genoa but it should do fine with the furller if the wind get to Hairy

A lot more info on this thread

Hello could anyone help me with rigging ideas for the controls that run to the bottom of the mast as I don't want to make a mess

On 03/08/2017 at 4:42 AM, wannabefd said:

Nice project

Thanks for that I read the whole thing it was very interesting ! Unfortunately I only have the big Genoa but it should do fine with the furller if the wind get to Hairy