• Announcements

• Zapata

Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  
Boo-Yah

Boat Transport Drama

Chris is good with jacks....

best_crop_00908244eddf1267dd8c_26892@2x.

SOUTH BRUNSWICK, NJ – Mechanical failure for the truck transporting a 37-foot yacht from New York to Maryland led to the vessel ending up on the shoulder of Route 1 south yesterday, police said.

Police learned overnight that the yacht had recently been sold and was in the process of being transported from Mamaroneck, New York to Maryland by Otter Creek Marina and Boat Transportation.

The truck transporting the boat experienced mechanical problems and the driver, Christopher White, 49, of Forrest Hills, Maryland, decided to off load the boat on the shoulder of the highway at around 1:30 p.m. Thursday afternoon, according to police.

White left the boat on blocks and headed to Maryland to get a new trailer, but did not explain why he never notified police or any authorities about leaving the boat on the side of the road, police said.

Just after 8 p.m., George’s Garage and Towing moved the yacht from the highway, police said.

Police said White was issued two summonses, one for failure to notify police of a disabled or abandon vehicle and the second for obstructing the passage of vehicles. 

There was one minor car crash from drivers watching the boat while it was on the shoulder of the highway, police said.

My favorite is when people don't understand the dynamics of towing! (Actually, I feel bad for them but very often their problems arise from not paying attention to experienced towers and a naive optimism in their knowledge and their tow vehicle.)

• Weight distribution is key and is a combination of hitch location and tongue weight. 5th-wheel systems are safer than rear bumper hitches.
  • Tow vehicle traction is pretty important too. Pros use duallies for a reason.

You don't want the tail wagging the dog.

Must have blown motors or drives, that's too short to hire transport for.

The Formula 370SS weighs about 15,000# and they hired a tow truck company to move it from the shoulder?  Ballsy.

1 hour ago, From the Helm said:

Must have blown motors or drives, that's too short to hire transport for.

The Formula 370SS weighs about 15,000# and they hired a tow truck company to move it from the shoulder?  Ballsy.

That is a long way most of it outside with little place to hide.  If the boat has old fuel and little use recently.  Why take the chance to ruin your day and week. Just getting across Delaware Bay is more than most want to try twice. 

Not Tom mention that Formula will get about 1 miles/gallon at "economical cruise" so a trailer is probably lower cost than a delivery without the extra hours on the engines. Given the look of the hull, I'd question the mechanical integrity of that "new old boat" without some local miles and towing insurance. 

On 8/07/2017 at 7:23 AM, Somebody Else said:

You don't want the tail wagging the dog.

Had this happen to me when a youngster helping someone move when towing the removal trailer. Scary shit on small back road. Would have been worse if anyone else was around.

I have zero towing experience but I've heard that 4 wheel trailers greatly reduce tail wagging - true?

29 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:

I have zero towing experience but I've heard that 4 wheel trailers greatly reduce tail wagging - true?

Balanced Load (Properly Not 50/50) is the answer 

Asumming you meant 2 axel trailer, it just makes turning harder 

A properly Balanced trailer with a Flat becomes an Unbalanced Trailer in a heartbeat

Both Facts above are to a degree dependant on Weight of Load and Tow Vehicle Stature

(Turning issues noticed most on Sharp Tight turns )

On 7/7/2017 at 10:33 PM, Innocent Bystander said:

Not Tom mention that Formula will get about 1 miles/gallon at "economical cruise" so a trailer is probably lower cost than a delivery without the extra hours on the engines. Given the look of the hull, I'd question the mechanical integrity of that "new old boat" without some local miles and towing insurance. 

250-300 miles, Atlantic City to get some gold chains and hookers, and you're there on $1000 in fuel plus a good time running up the Chesapeake.   A little adventure for the new boat.  What could go wrong?   Either way it's damned funny that the hauler left boat unattended on the shoulder without a call to cops.  Might write a bad review for that one.

Weight distribution hitches are awesome if your hauling something close to vehicle rating or something that is tongue heavy and cannot be redistributed. Life gets so much easier with one added on. 

I did a similar move last year. No working motor, and 9-14 through hulls of unknown quality.  Not only was there a problem with a travel lift not having a wheel, the trailer brake line got squashed when adjusting the length of the trailer.  If that had been worse, would you want to be towing that boat with no trailer brakes and traffic lights every mile?

Luckily mine had a happy ending.

5964d0e8a7cbd_Gossiptransomontrailer.jpg.4b8aa532ddeb3373ee40163e974dbf10.jpg

any time you see a tow driver keeping his eyes as much on the rearview mirror as the road in front you know there is a problem

On 07/09/2017 at 11:12 AM, SloopJonB said:

Sway/tail wag is due to improper (too little) tongue weight/distribution. More tires won't fix improper loading.