Sol Rosenberg

Drip Drip Drip

2 minutes ago, Remodel said:

Wow, what a Flailing Malarkey - like response.

That wasn't a response. SJB is engaged in a futile attempt to ignore me.

3 minutes ago, Dog said:

You're the one alleging something nefarious. Shouldn't you be the one answering those questions.

More doggy styling. Your the one saying there is nothing wrong with giving away the polling data. You should explain why anyone would do that.

2 minutes ago, Dog said:

That wasn't a response. SJB is engaged in a futile attempt to ignore me.

What hubris! another trait you share with the lying one.

3 minutes ago, Remodel said:

More doggy styling. Your the one saying there is nothing wrong with giving away the polling data. You should explain why anyone would do that.

False....There may be something very wrong with it but the onus is on you, the accuser, to make your case and asking me questions does nothing to advance it.

Oh, and good lemming.

Wonder if that applies to birth certificates. 

Obama is tapping my phone lines. I'm sure of it.

3 hours ago, Remodel said:
On 1/21/2019 at 10:09 AM, Dog said:

You know you can't ignore me. Resistance is futile.

Wow, what a Flailing Malarkey - like response.

You've chosen to ignore content by Dog. Options

14 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:

Ha!

3 hours ago, Dog said:

False....There may be something very wrong with it but the onus is on you, the accuser, to make your case and asking me questions does nothing to advance it.

Oh, and good lemming.

Show me where I made that accusation.

1 hour ago, SloopJonB said:

That there's a lot of hilarity you're missing out on

1 hour ago, Remodel said:

Show me where I made that accusation.

So do you agree with me or not because it sounds like you disagree with me?

1 hour ago, Dog said:

Just for once, shut up and lie down.

You have ceased to be amusing, and have ventured far into the annoying, yappy, potential football realm.

6 hours ago, Remodel said:

What hubris! another trait you share with the lying one.

Wait.  They have traits that are different?  

2 hours ago, Dog said:

I don't have enough information to craft an informed opinion. You seem to think you do, hence my questions.

56 minutes ago, Sol Rosenberg said:

Wait.  They have traits that are different?  

;-)

2 hours ago, wal' said:

After the 497th iteration of the same old things, I doubt there's much new in the Doggie yapping.

1 hour ago, Mrleft8 said:

Just for once, shut up and lie down.

You have ceased to be amusing, and have ventured far into the annoying, yappy, potential football realm.

When punting puppies, i always recommend that you check that the laces are on top.

15 minutes ago, Remodel said:

I don't have enough information to craft an informed opinion. You seem to think you do, hence my questions.

No...We're on the same page. 

9 hours ago, wal' said:

You misspelled stupidity.

On 4/10/2018 at 7:05 AM, Dog said:

If the raid indicates that what started as an investigation into possible campaign collusion with Russia is now an investigation into a one night stand many years ago then I think Trump has a point, it has become a witch hunt. It's possible however they are looking for evidence of a serious matter having to do with Trumps business dealings. This could be a way for Mueller to expand the investigation into areas that cross Trump's red line.

Just giving Mueller the benefit of the doubt again. 

1 minute ago, Sol Rosenberg said:

Just giving Mueller the benefit of the doubt again. 

Fail

Long but very interesting article in The NY Times. 

Trump Sought a Loan During the 2016 Campaign. Deutsche Bank Said No.

Excerpt -

Donald J. Trump was burning through cash.

It was early 2016, and he was lending tens of millions of dollars to his presidential campaign and had been spending large sums to expand the Trump Organization’s roster of high-end properties.

To finance his business’s growth, Mr. Trump turned to a longtime ally, Deutsche Bank, one of the few banks still willing to lend money to the man who has called himself “The King of Debt.”

Mr. Trump’s loan request, which has not been previously reported, set off a fight that reached the top of the German bank, according to three people familiar with the request. In the end, Deutsche Bank did something unexpected. It said no.

Senior officials at the bank, including its future chief executive, believed that Mr. Trump’s divisive candidacy made such a loan too risky, the people said. Among their concerns was that if Mr. Trump won the election and then defaulted, Deutsche Bank would have to choose between not collecting on the debt or seizing the assets of the president of the United States.

Two of the people familiar with the loan request said the Trump Organization had been seeking to borrow against its Miami resort to pay for work on a golf property in Turnberry, Scotland.

A Trump Organization spokeswoman, Amanda Miller, denied that the company had needed outside funding for Turnberry.

Two of the people familiar with the loan request said the Trump Organization had been seeking to borrow against its Miami resort to pay for work on a golf property in Turnberry, Scotland.

A Trump Organization spokeswoman, Amanda Miller, denied that the company had needed outside funding for Turnberry.

“This story is absolutely false,” Ms. Miller said. “We bought Trump Turnberry without any financing and put tens of millions of dollars of our own money into the renovation, which began in 2014. At no time was any money needed to finance the purchase or the refurbishment of Trump Turnberry.”

Snip

In the decade before he was elected president, Mr. Trump’s company spent hundreds of millions of dollars buying or renovating about a dozen clubs and resorts around the world. Despite Mr. Trump’s self-proclaimed fondness for relying on debt, the Trump Organization has reported that it used its own money for most of the acquisitions and upgrades.

A prominent golf journalist, James Dodson, said Mr. Trump’s son Eric had told him in 2013 that the company’s golf properties were funded by Russians. Eric Trump has denied making the comment.

15 minutes ago, Sean said:

Long but very interesting article in The NY Times. 

Trump Sought a Loan During the 2016 Campaign. Deutsche Bank Said No.

Excerpt -

Donald J. Trump was burning through cash.

It was early 2016, and he was lending tens of millions of dollars to his presidential campaign and had been spending large sums to expand the Trump Organization’s roster of high-end properties.

To finance his business’s growth, Mr. Trump turned to a longtime ally, Deutsche Bank, one of the few banks still willing to lend money to the man who has called himself “The King of Debt.”

Mr. Trump’s loan request, which has not been previously reported, set off a fight that reached the top of the German bank, according to three people familiar with the request. In the end, Deutsche Bank did something unexpected. It said no.

Senior officials at the bank, including its future chief executive, believed that Mr. Trump’s divisive candidacy made such a loan too risky, the people said. Among their concerns was that if Mr. Trump won the election and then defaulted, Deutsche Bank would have to choose between not collecting on the debt or seizing the assets of the president of the United States.

“This story is absolutely false,” Ms. Miller said. “We bought Trump Turnberry without any financing and put tens of millions of dollars of our own money into the renovation, which began in 2014. At no time was any money needed to finance the purchase or the refurbishment of Trump Turnberry.”

Snip

In the decade before he was elected president, Mr. Trump’s company spent hundreds of millions of dollars buying or renovating about a dozen clubs and resorts around the world. Despite Mr. Trump’s self-proclaimed fondness for relying on debt, the Trump Organization has reported that it used its own money for most of the acquisitions and upgrades.

A prominent golf journalist, James Dodson, said Mr. Trump’s son Eric had told him in 2013 that the company’s golf properties were funded by Russians. Eric Trump has denied making the comment.

The denial is a lie.  With low interest rates debt financing would be absolutely the preferred way of funding the project unless mother Russia was the lender of last resort.

Keeriste - he's such a bad risk that even a top level money launderer won't touch him.

They got cold feet on lending him money, in case of a scenario where he defaulted on the loan and also won the presidency. They didn't want to have to go after the assets of a sitting president.

4 hours ago, Nice! said:

They got cold feet on lending him money, in case of a scenario where he defaulted on the loan and also won the presidency. They didn't want to have to go after the assets of a sitting president.

And why would they have the slightest inkling that he might win the POTUS spot, when pretty much everyone else was laughing at the idea?.... Did they have inside information from..... Other sources?

47 minutes ago, Mrleft8 said:

And why would they have the slightest inkling that he might win the POTUS spot, when pretty much everyone else was laughing at the idea?.... Did they have inside information from..... Other sources?

I do not think that really is the issue. I reckon they saw the probability of him getting a loan as small... but they knew him defaulting was a certainty. Their thoughts weren't what if he defaults and happens to be president, they were when he defaults, what if he's president. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bent Sailor said:

I do not think that really is the issue. I reckon they saw the probability of him getting a loan as small... but they knew him defaulting was a certainty. Their thoughts weren't what if he defaults and happens to be president, they were when he defaults, what if he's president. 

Because they know, if he gets the Prez, he will default on everything everywhere because they can't touch him. There's some superior business ethics on display right there.

16 hours ago, Ishmael said:

Because they know, if he gets the Prez, he will default on everything everywhere because they can't touch him. There's some superior business ethics on display right there.

Could be they were afraid of the yuuuggge spotlight that comes with the Presidency. If all the subpoenas on their records in this last year are any indication, they were likely puckered up so tight you couldn't get a pea up their asses with a jack hammer.   

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Mark K said:

Could be they were afraid of the yuuuggge spotlight that comes with the Presidency. If all the subpoenas on their records in this last year are any indication, they were likely puckered up so tight you couldn't get a pea up their asses with a jack hammer.   

Bingo.

20 hours ago, Bent Sailor said:

Bankers evaluate risks.  Even shady ones.  The cost/benefit analysis of loaning the world renown bankrupt DJ tRump significant money, who also might become POTUS would ring lots of alarm bells among the backroom boys, even for Deutsche Bank, noted for their casual attitude toward banking standards.

Turns out they were right.  Russian oligarchs, on the other hand, have no place to put their money so a cheap suit from South Queens would be right in their crosshairs.

How'd Manny Fart make out today? I haven't turned on the boob tube yet.

5 minutes ago, Mrleft8 said:

How'd Manny Fart make out today? I haven't turned on the boob tube yet.

Was sentencing supposed to be today?

https://news.vice.com/en_us/article/vbwv74/don-jr-and-jared-kushners-congressional-testimonies-are-finally-going-to-mueller

The House Intelligence Committee’s Democratic leadership has scheduled a vote to send potentially explosive transcripts to special counsel Robert Mueller’s desk.

The committee will vote this Wednesday on turning over sensitive Russia probe transcripts to Mueller, in a move that carries serious implications for anyone who can be shown to have lied.

The handover could put President Trump’s eldest son, Don Jr., in the hot seat. Democrats have signaled suspicions that Don Jr. may have been untruthful. Rep. Jackie Speier (D-Calif.) has said she thinks Don Jr. lied to the committee “on at least two occasions.”

A Lobbyist At The Trump Tower Meeting Received Half A Million Dollars In Suspicious Payments

A bank flagged transactions, including large cash deposits, made before and after Rinat Akhmetshin attended the 2016 Trump Tower meeting. 

A Russian-born lobbyist who attended the controversial Trump Tower meeting in June 2016 received a series of suspicious payments totaling half a million dollars before and after the encounter. 

Documents reviewed by BuzzFeed News show that Rinat Akhmetshin, a Soviet military officer turned Washington lobbyist, deposited large, round-number amounts of cash in the months preceding and following the meeting, where a Russian lawyer offered senior Trump campaign officials dirt on Hillary Clinton. 

The lobbyist also received a large payment that bank investigators deemed suspicious from Denis Katsyv, whose company Prevezon Holdings was accused by the US Justice Department of laundering the proceeds of a $230 million Russian tax fraud. 

The Trump Tower meeting and those who attended it have become a focus of special counsel Robert Mueller’s inquiry into whether the president’s campaign colluded with Russia to interfere in the 2016 election. As part of that inquiry, banks were asked to pull financial information on the meeting attendees, and investigators at Wells Fargo handed over documents on Akhmetshin to the US Treasury in 2017. Those records were passed to Mueller's team, but Peter Carr, a spokesperson for the special counsel, declined to say whether the transactions are under investigation. Congressional investigators also requested the financial information from the Treasury Department.

Read more: https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/emmaloop/trump-tower-meeting-russian-lobbyist-akhmetshin-suspicious-p 

1 hour ago, Shortforbob said:

https://news.vice.com/en_us/article/vbwv74/don-jr-and-jared-kushners-congressional-testimonies-are-finally-going-to-mueller

The House Intelligence Committee’s Democratic leadership has scheduled a vote to send potentially explosive transcripts to special counsel Robert Mueller’s desk.

The committee will vote this Wednesday on turning over sensitive Russia probe transcripts to Mueller, in a move that carries serious implications for anyone who can be shown to have lied.

The handover could put President Trump’s eldest son, Don Jr., in the hot seat. Democrats have signaled suspicions that Don Jr. may have been untruthful. Rep. Jackie Speier (D-Calif.) has said she thinks Don Jr. lied to the committee “on at least two occasions.”

Won't matter much. Brett Kavanaugh blatantly lied to congress, and they did jack shit.

15 minutes ago, Lifted Tack said:

Won't matter much. Brett Kavanaugh blatantly lied to congress, and they did jack shit.

It is one thing to do that to a friendly Congress who will not refer the matter to the Justice Department. It is another to have a majority that will send transcripts to a special counsel who has demonstrated that he will prosecute liars for lying under oath. 

https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/york-prosecutors-seek-records-trump-inauguration-committee-sources/story?id=60841246

Prosecutors in New York’s Southern District have subpoenaed documents from President Donald Trump’s inauguration committee, sources with direct knowledge told ABC News, indicating that even as the special counsel probe appears to be nearing an end, another investigation that could hamstring the president and his lawyers is widening.

41 minutes ago, Mike G said:

https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/york-prosecutors-seek-records-trump-inauguration-committee-sources/story?id=60841246

Prosecutors in New York’s Southern District have subpoenaed documents from President Donald Trump’s inauguration committee, sources with direct knowledge told ABC News, indicating that even as the special counsel probe appears to be nearing an end, another investigation that could hamstring the president and his lawyers is widening.

Many angles of sleaze on display here. Word is Russia contributed heavily which is TOTALLY illegal. Straw man donors pay of play it’s just absolutely disgusting.

2 hours ago, Mike G said:

Most money ever raised, $110 Million...but, the fewest parties (3 versus Obama's 12), absolutely crap entertainment (the good ones stayed away in droves), empty bleacher seats, and the smallest crowd in decades....so, where did the money go?  

Oh...the tRump International Bordello was fully booked.  So there is that.

1 hour ago, badlatitude said:

Per CNN, Paul Manafort's sentencing will be March 13.

Heard they got a lot of new stuff from Roger's house and it was going to take some time to sort through it. Roger and Paul were good buds. 

4 minutes ago, Mark K said:

Heard they got a lot of new stuff from Roger's house and it was going to take some time to sort through it. Roger and Paul were good buds. 

It's all coming together, and Adam Schiff said today that he will not allow Mueller's report to be buried by the administration. I'm watching the New York state pursuit of foreign money with interest, we'll see if it affects McConnell, Graham and a bunch of others.

2 hours ago, badlatitude said:

Per CNN, Paul Manafort's sentencing will be March 13.

Awww. Can't they wait until that Friday?

5 minutes ago, Olsonist said:

Awww. Can't they wait until that Friday?

Ah,  the Ides of March. Would have been perfect.

Trump Inaugural Committee Ordered to Hand Over Documents to Federal Investigators

The subpoena seeks documents related to all of the committee’s donors and guests; any benefits handed out, including tickets and photo opportunities with the president; federal disclosure filings; vendors; contracts; and more, one of the people said.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/02/04/us/politics/trump-inaugural-committee-subpoena.html

4 minutes ago, Sol Rosenberg said:

Happens in every incoming administration. 

I don't doubt you , however perhaps you could help Google out ?

Seems they don't have any results for this query : Inaugural Committee Ordered to Hand Over Documents to Federal Investigators 'obama'

23 minutes ago, Mid said:

I don't doubt you , however perhaps you could help Google out ?

Seems they don't have any results for this query : Inaugural Committee Ordered to Hand Over Documents to Federal Investigators 'obama'

Oh stop with the actual truth. If we repeat it enough we can create a truth using the Doggy Style. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Sol Rosenberg said:

Oh stop with the actual truth. If we repeat it enough we can create a truth using the Doggy Style. 

Unless someone was tricked, can we be sure a crime was committed?

4 hours ago, Bus Driver said:

Unless someone was tricked, can we be sure a crime was committed?

"Tricking generals is even easier than winning trade wars."

Likely Rump quote.

Mike Pence Likely Implicated In Trump's SDNY Criminal Charges

2018-11-17T042406Z_1_LYNXNPEEAG04C_RTROPTP_4_APEC-SUMMIT-2000x1200.jpg

Donald Trump’s inauguration committee has been accused of money laundering and making false statements in a subpoena from prosecutors with the Southern District of New York (SDNY). And it appears that both the president and the vice president could soon be facing criminal charges as a result. 

CNN’s Shimon Prokupecz reported on Twitter that on the cover of the subpoena, prosecutors alleged that the committee partook in “conspiracy against the US, false statements, mail fraud, wire fraud, money laundering, inaugural committee disclosure violations, and laws prohibiting contributions by foreign nations and contributions in the name of another person.” 

Michael Cohen Strikes Again: How Secret Recordings Led to Massive Trump Inauguration Investigation

Federal prosecutors in New York have issued a subpoena to President Donald Trump‘s inaugural committee as part of an investigation reportedly dealing with a litany of possible charges, including wire fraud, money laundering, false statements, and illegal donations. As it turns out, it could all be thanks to Trump’s former lawyer Michael Cohen. 

Cohen, you may recall, made secret recordings of conversations he had in the past. Until now, the most notable of them had been one between him and Trump, where they discussed a payment made to former Playboy model Karen McDougal, a woman who claimed to have had an affair with Trump. That payment, and one to porn star Stormy Daniels, led to Cohen being convicted for campaign finance violations that he and prosecutors said were made at Trump’s direction. 

The latest news, meanwhile, seems to have stemmed from another recording. This was a recording of an apparent conversation between Cohen and Stephanie Wolkoff, a former aide to Melania Trump whose company WIS received $26 million from the Trump inaugural committee. The committee reportedly spent $107 million related to Trump’s 2017 inauguration, about twice as much as Presidents George W. Bush or Barack Obama spent on theirs. It was reported in January that the recorded conversation between Cohen and Walkoff at least partially inspired the investigation of money coming in and going out of the inaugural committee. 

The subpoena reportedly seeks records related to the inaugural committee’s vendors and donors, among other things. Senior officials from Bush and Obama inaugural committees have commented on the exorbitant nature of the fee paid to Wolkoff’s company. While most of the $26 million paid to WIS reportedly went to subcontractors, the company itself received a $1.6 million “supervisory fee.” 

more 
https://lawandcrime.com/high-profile/michael-cohen-strikes-again-how-secret-recordings-led-to-massive-trump-inauguration-investigation/

Where was Rose Mary Woods when Trump really needed her?

1 minute ago, SloopJonB said:

Where was Rose Mary Woods when Trump really needed her?

Must feel lousy to be an incompetent crook.

Michael Cohen Strikes Again: How Secret Recordings Led to Massive Trump Inauguration Investigation

Federal prosecutors in New York have issued a subpoena to President Donald Trump‘s inaugural committee as part of an investigation reportedly dealing with a litany of possible charges, including wire fraud, money laundering, false statements, and illegal donations. As it turns out, it could all be thanks to Trump’s former lawyer Michael Cohen. 

Cohen, you may recall, made secret recordings of conversations he had in the past. Until now, the most notable of them had been one between him and Trump, where they discussed a payment made to former Playboy model Karen McDougal, a woman who claimed to have had an affair with Trump. That payment, and one to porn star Stormy Daniels, led to Cohen being convicted for campaign finance violations that he and prosecutors said were made at Trump’s direction. 

The latest news, meanwhile, seems to have stemmed from another recording. This was a recording of an apparent conversation between Cohen and Stephanie Wolkoff, a former aide to Melania Trump whose company WIS received $26 million from the Trump inaugural committee. The committee reportedly spent $107 million related to Trump’s 2017 inauguration, about twice as much as Presidents George W. Bush or Barack Obama spent on theirs. It was reported in January that the recorded conversation between Cohen and Walkoff at least partially inspired the investigation of money coming in and going out of the inaugural committee. 

The subpoena reportedly seeks records related to the inaugural committee’s vendors and donors, among other things. Senior officials from Bush and Obama inaugural committees have commented on the exorbitant nature of the fee paid to Wolkoff’s company. While most of the $26 million paid to WIS reportedly went to subcontractors, the company itself received a $1.6 million “supervisory fee.” 

more 
https://lawandcrime.com/high-profile/michael-cohen-strikes-again-how-secret-recordings-led-to-massive-trump-inauguration-investigation/

They recorded bin Laden too.  Unfair!  SO Unfair!

10 minutes ago, Sol Rosenberg said:

They recorded bin Laden too.  Unfair!  SO Unfair!

Odd that no one has realized the possibility of a President Pelosi from this, the howls of indignation and contempt from the right will deafen people, but they have no one to blame but themselves.

Must feel lousy to be an incompetent crook.

Like the cops & prosecutors say "Thank God they're stupid or the prisons would be empty".

2 minutes ago, badlatitude said:

Odd that no one has realized the possibility of a President Pelosi from this, the howls of indignation and contempt from the right will deafen people, but they have no one to blame but themselves.

That's the Faint Hope Clause isn't it?

5 minutes ago, badlatitude said:

I have been bringing that possibility up.  She would make heads explode, which is supposed to be Presidential. 

Just now, SloopJonB said:

That's the Faint Hope Clause isn't it?

Trump is in trouble, and now it looks like Pence is in the stew. I'm not sure the right has anything to counter this if it happens.

Just now, Sol Rosenberg said:

I have been bringing that possibility up.  She would make heads explode, which is supposed to be Presidential. 

Yeah, I think a President Pelosi could cause a Civil War, but it is the law.

6 minutes ago, badlatitude said:

1 minute ago, Sol Rosenberg said:

Pence is safe. We’re talkin’ Pelosi here. God forbid!

Oh oh! The SDNY is now seeking to interview more Trump Org. Executives (they’ve already flipped the Finance head and of course Cohen).

8 minutes ago, Sean said:

Pence is safe. We’re talkin’ Pelosi here. God forbid!

God forbid a President Pence.

28 minutes ago, badlatitude said:

You think you heard hateful when Hillary was running?  if this comes to be, that'll be mild discontent in comparison, I'd expect fighting in the streets.   

40 minutes ago, badlatitude said:

Trump is in trouble, and now it looks like Pence is in the stew. I'm not sure the right has anything to counter this if it happens.

Pence resigns

Moderate party loyalist appointed and confirmed

trump resigns

we’ve seen this play.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, A guy in the Chesapeake said:

You think you heard hateful when Hillary was running?  if this comes to be, that'll be mild discontent in comparison, I'd expect fighting in the streets.   

They said that about Hillary, maybe we should require all Republican's to take a civics class, and no, it isn't about Honda's.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, badlatitude said:

They said that about Hillary, maybe we should require all Republican's to take a civics class, and no, it isn't about Honda's.

5 minutes ago, A guy in the Chesapeake said:

We aren't there yet....  But - if you're referring to the first "cite" you shared asserting this?  There wasn't any "there" there. 

Not yet, but keep a close eye on this thread.

2 minutes ago, badlatitude said:
8 minutes ago, A guy in the Chesapeake said:

We aren't there yet....  But - if you're referring to the first "cite" you shared asserting this?  There wasn't any "there" there. 

Not yet, but keep a close eye on this thread.

the district that can't shoot straight (but sure can leak) isn't after pence, they're looking for comingling of funds between the inauguration and trump inc

1 minute ago, A guy in the Chesapeake said:

So - you admit that you're crowing and making a lotta noise about nothing?    Cool. 

Yeah, about nothing. Is there nothing Shitstain can do to lose your slavish devotion?

10 minutes ago, A guy in the Chesapeake said:

So - you admit that you're crowing and making a lotta noise about nothing?    Cool. 

nothing? I got $20 if the Billary inaugural were subpoenaed Republicans would be frothing.

1 minute ago, A guy in the Chesapeake said:

Crowing, no. Just stating the obvious.

Donald Trump’s inauguration committee has been accused of money laundering and making false statements in a subpoena from prosecutors with the Southern District of New York (SDNY). And it appears that both the president and the vice president could soon be facing criminal charges as a result. 

The Shrunken State of Donald Trump’s Presidency

cassidy-john-2.png

By John Cassidy

February 4, 2019

Cassidy-SOTU-Preview.jpg

As he prepares to deliver his second State of the Union address, the President looks increasingly like a lame duck.

Photo by Brendan Smialowski / AFP / Getty

The Harvard political scientist Richard Neustadt famously remarked that the Oval Office “is no place for amateurs.” This is because, as Neustadt pointed out in his book “Presidential Power and the Modern Presidents,” which was originally published in 1960, the Presidency is, structurally, a weak office. Its occupant has to deal with Congress and the courts as coequal branches of government. Even inside the sprawling executive branch, it isn’t easy to direct Cabinet secretaries, agency heads, and career public officials, many of whom have their own expertise and agendas. Given this challenging environment, Neustadt concluded, “Presidential power is the power to persuade.” If a President loses the ability to bring other players along with him, he is lost.

More than a year ago, in a piece published at Vox, Matthew Glassman, a senior fellow at Georgetown University’s Government Affairs Institute, argued that Donald Trump was “a weak president” in the Neustadt sense of the term. Glassman pointed to Trump’s low approval ratings, early setbacks that the Administration had suffered, such as court rulings against his travel ban, and the failure to repeal Obamacare. The White House’s victories, such as the passage of a tax-reform bill, “usually involve Trump having adopted the position of the congressional Republicans, not the other way around,” Glassman noted.

Back then, the argument could be made that the Trump Administration, for all its early pratfalls, had time to recover. With substantial tax cuts and spending increases about to go into effect—a Keynesian stimulus in all but name—the economy was likely to perk up, giving the White House the opportunity to build support in other areas. And, as the latest jobs report demonstrated, the economy did pick up. But Trump’s Presidency, rather than expanding in scope and power in the course of the past year, has continued to shrink and shrivel. As he prepares to deliver his second State of the Union address, Trump looks increasingly like a lame duck.

It isn’t merely that, with the election of a new Congress, his ability to get new legislation passed has run into a Democratic veto—although, as the failure to get funding for a border wall demonstrated, this is obviously a key development. Within the executive branch, many areas of policy appear to proceed despite Trump’s presence rather than because of it. A recent exhibit: the intelligence community’s issuance of an international-threats assessment that contradicted many of Trump’s claims on key issues, such as the nuclear policies of Iran and North Korea. Meanwhile, damaging leaks emerge daily, demonstrating that the President is neither feared nor respected by those around him—the latest example being the leaking of his confidential daily schedules to Axios. Over the past three months, according to the internal documents, unstructured “executive time” constituted more than sixty per cent of his day in the Oval Office, suggesting that the President spends more time watching TV and tweeting than he does attending to the affairs of the most powerful nation on Earth.

The basic problem, Glassman told me, is that Trump, despite the talents he displayed in whipping up his supporters during the 2016 campaign, lacks the skill set to be a successful President. “He’s an amateur in the White House,” Glassman said. “He doesn’t have a lot of experience in governing, and I don’t see a lot of learning going on. He looks hideously weak.”

MORE FROM

Our Columnists

Ralph Northam speaking at a podium.

Ralph Northam Can’t See Himself in the Picture

Commuters arrive from Metro North Railroad trains in Grand Central Station, in New York.

What the Strong January Jobs Report Tells Us About the Economy

Betsy DeVos

Assessing Betsy DeVos’s Proposed Rules on Title IX and Sexual Assault

Elizabeth Warren.

Why Elizabeth Warren’s Wealth Tax Would Work

Oleg Deripaska

The Trump-Russia Investigation and the Mafia State

A Russian-made M-125 cipher machine, also known as a Fialka, at the K.G.B. Spy Museum, in New York.

The Unnerving Kitsch of New York City’s New K.G.B. Spy Museum

Neustadt argued that building Presidential power is a cumulative process. If a President has some early successes and gains a reputation as someone who is able to get things done, other players in Washington tend to fall in line, because they are frightened to cross him. But, if the President is perceived as weak or inattentive, these same players will largely follow their own agendas, which is what has happened in the past two years. “The Republicans in Congress did what they wanted to do: judges, tax cuts,” Glassman pointed out. “And the things that Trump wants, such as the border wall, they just kind of ignored. That was really the story of the 115th Congress.”

A similar dynamic has been evident within the executive branch, where Trump’s tendency to make unilateral declarations, coupled with his inability to follow up on policy details, has allowed White House officials, Cabinet members, and career bureaucrats to operate behind the President’s back. Publicly, they express support for Trump’s edicts, such as his decision to withdraw U.S. troops from Syria. Out of sight, they try to figure out how to work around him. Meanwhile, outsiders with access to the President are constantly trying to push their own agendas, calling him at night or during executive time. “Every one of those people on the phone know this is their opportunity to influence the President of the United States,” Glassman said.

The result is that, even within the Trump Administration, it’s often not clear what the policy is or whether it might be reversed at any moment. One of the few areas where Trump has stood firm is in his demand for funding for a wall on the border with Mexico. But, with Nancy Pelosi and the Democrats blocking his way despite a five-week partial government shutdown, his insistence on the wall has only highlighted his larger predicament. Yes, he could still try to go around Congress by declaring a national emergency. “But that would just show everyone in Washington how weak he is,” Glassman said. “He can’t persuade anyone in D.C. to go along with him, so he has to resort to these autocratic powers.”

VIDEO FROM THE NEW YORKER

The High Stakes of the Trump Midterms

Of course, Trump’s Presidency isn’t over, and he can still do a lot of damage with the powers he holds. Even a weak President can make bad appointments and issue harmful executive orders, such as the ones Trump has issued to roll back environmental regulations. On Monday, he nominated a former lobbyist for the oil and agriculture industries, David Bernhardt, as his next Secretary of the Interior. Since the Republicans still control the Senate, Bernhardt will probably be confirmed. Conceivably, Trump could enlarge his influence by reaching out to the Democrats in an effort to get some significant legislation passed, such as an immigration compromise or an infrastructure bill. (The recently passed criminal-justice bill could serve as a model here.) The State of the Union address will be worth monitoring to see if it contains any moves in this direction. But a speech is just a speech. For the second half of Trump’s first term to be more successful than the first, he would need to transform how he operates. He’d need to become far more disciplined, make more of an effort to build coalitions, and, above all, comport himself in a manner that adds to, rather than detracts from, his public standing.

Every President “makes his personal impact by the things he says and does,” Neustadt wrote. “Accordingly his choices of what he should say and do, and how and when, are his means to conserve and tap the sources of his power. Alternatively, choices are the means by which he dissipates his power.” Having arrived in office in a relatively weak position because of his low poll numbers and the fact that he lost the popular vote, Trump has made a lot of awful choices, and whatever power he had to begin with has been slipping away. Can he resurrect his Presidency? Glassman, for one, is doubtful. “I don’t think there is a way for him to turn it around,” he said. “Because I think the problem is Trump himself.”

cassidy-john-2.png

Subscribe to John Cassidy’s newsletter to get the latest on politics, economics, and the news.

Submit

11 minutes ago, Olsonist said:

Yeah, about nothing. Is there nothing Shitstain can do to lose your slavish devotion?

You really aren't very good at this paying attention and understanding stuff are ya?  Ya certainly don't let it slow you down when you mistakenly think you've read something that you can use to slag someone who's opinions you don't like.  Keep trying - you might eventually achieve cognizance. 

5 minutes ago, Mismoyled Jiblet. said:

nothing? I got $20 if the Billary inaugural were subpoenaed Republicans would be frothing.

How does the Inaugural committee being subpoenaed equate to BL's assertion/cite that "Mike Pence Likely Implicated In Trump's SDNY Criminal Charges"  ??  

Try to keep up - when you do, you occasionally make a valid point.  When you don't, it's painful, like watching the dumb kid walk into the closed door. 

Trump: "I have no deals in Russia."

https://www.rawstory.com/2019/02/bombshell-document-dump-shows-trump-org-sought-putins-help-build-moscow-tower-win-election/

Snip:

“All we need is Putin on board and we are golden, meeting with Putin and top deputy is tentatively set for the 14th,” Sater emailed Cohen on Oct. 12, 2015. “See buddy I can not only get Ivanka to spin in Putins Kremlin office chair on 30 minutes notice, I can also get a full meeting.”

Sarah Sanders: Corruption in Trump’s inauguration has ‘nothing to do with the White House’

“Those things that have taken place have absolutely nothing to do with the president,” she said. “They have everything to do with the fact that people are spending their lives doing nothing but trying to find negatives when, in fact, the president has been incredibly successful.”

https://www.rawstory.com/2019/02/sarah-sanders-corruption-trumps-inauguration-nothing-white-house/

7 minutes ago, Nice! said:

Trump: "I have no deals in Russia."

https://www.rawstory.com/2019/02/bombshell-document-dump-shows-trump-org-sought-putins-help-build-moscow-tower-win-election/

Snip:

“All we need is Putin on board and we are golden, meeting with Putin and top deputy is tentatively set for the 14th,” Sater emailed Cohen on Oct. 12, 2015. “See buddy I can not only get Ivanka to spin in Putins Kremlin office chair on 30 minutes notice, I can also get a full meeting.”

Still just two boys having a pissing contest..Big noting their influence and contacts. You're going to have to have Trump on tape ..or pics of Ivanka and Puty on that chair.