• Announcements

• Zapata

Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  
Ajax

New Dive Mask- User reviews

41 posts in this topic

For those of you who clean your own hulls, has anyone tried these out?  Any user data to offer?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B072BJPWCB/_encoding=UTF8?coliid=IIIADXUXDWXY1&colid=1TF2EX8G88BMU

https://www.amazon.com/HEAD-Full-Snorkeling-Large-X-Large/dp/B01COHZ7X6/ref=sr_1_1?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1500040635&sr=1-1&keywords=head+sea+vu+dry+full+face+snorkeling+mask

On the face of it, this seems a huge improvement over traditional mask and snorkel sets. As we all know, companies often fall flat in execution due to cutting too many corners and QA issues. So, whatcha got?

I clean my own (boat) bottom, and I've been using the traditional set-up. My snorkel does not keep water out, which leads to some good gagging. This looks pretty good. How does the "no-fog" feature work?

I wont write them off without hearing from an experienced diver who has used one but looks like a toy for fat tourists to float around and look at coral.

Volume is massive- huge negative

Breathing in the mask- cant see how it wont fog up

huge area to seal around the perimeter

Simple is best, get a low volume high quality mask from a spearfishing shop and a snorkel with no shit on the end of it, just a plain pipe. Everything else is needless complication.

Whst moonduster says - low volume. See what underwater rugby players use and go for that.

I have my old trustworthy AGA/interspiro mkII but might not work for all.

Like the others said, too much volume and probably lousy fit/seal for most people.  Built-in snorkle is a gimmick.

Scubapro frameless. $$ but mine is still going after 20yrs. 

I have read about 2 deaths with people using these.  

Maybe coincidence, maybe low exchange of fresh air, people black out, and drown

There is a disclaimer right on the box that says, "Not for free diving" 

Maybe I'll stick with my old school set up. At least when I come up to gasping and gagging with a snorkel full of water, I can just spit out the snorkel mouthpiece and breath.

I think Darwin designed this mask. Glad to see you reconsider Bull. I went through the same thing seeing these whole facemask things at West Marine but I've done some serious freediving in my past and am sticking with low volume and a straight pipe snorkle because that has always worked for me in the past. I had thought that the full mask would seal better around my beard but apparently not. 

You're doing it wrong.  The snorkel is only supposed to be in your mouth when you're breathing up on the surface with your face in the water.  Spit out the mouthpiece before you dive and you won't be spitting out a mouthful of saltwater when you come back up.

34 minutes ago, thereefgeek said:

You're doing it wrong.  The snorkel is only supposed to be in your mouth when you're breathing up on the surface with your face in the water.  Spit out the mouthpiece before you dive and you won't be spitting out a mouthful of saltwater when you come back up.

No, just learn how to clear the snorkle.

I wanted to replace my 20YO Scubapro mask with a frameless Scubapro, but that wasn't possible. What was available is an Atomic Aquatics frameless 'Viper' and I have to say I like it. Comfortable fit with real soft silicone seal. Low volume. And super clear lens. 

Funny,  I just got back from being on the boat today and while on a raft up here a couple of these masks appeared from one of the boats ,  people gave them a try and seemed to like them,  but it was just tourist snorkeling shit.... nothing wrong with my traditional mask so I will probably give these a miss. 

On 7/14/2017 at 1:17 PM, Moonduster said:

There's only two words for masks - low volume.

16 hours ago, Whisper said:

No, just learn how to clear the snorkle.

Put me down as another vote to stay far away from this gimmick.  Plus 1 to both comments above.

As a clueless diving noob, can someone fill me in on why low volume masks are better? I can see how if it's a mask you're breathing into you wouldn't want a lot of dead volume reducing your oxygen exchange with each breath but what if it's a conventional mask that you're not breathing through? 

Low volume mask can be more easily and quickly cleared if flooded.  Critical safety feature when diving but also quite handy when snorkeling / free diving. 

Makes sense.

I bought one at WM. Used it once for a long, dirty scrub, but I am unlikely to go back. Absolutely zero leakage even with a beard. I found the central snorkel  let me breathe while looking under the boat when I didn't think I would be able to.

Safety is an issue, but not a problem once I learned to control my breathing. And better than getting a mouthful of saltwater. 

Guys,

Thanks for the voices of experience. Very interesting reading. I do have a traditional mask and tube, I was just wondering if this might be better in some way.

I had never even considered the volume of air in the mask as a potential problem or inconvenience. I'm not looking to free dive, just clean my hull.

On 7/17/2017 at 4:42 AM, Wess said:

1 hour ago, Wess said:

So many ways to do stupid things even in shallow Chesapeake waters even at the dock.

Thank God this had a positive outcome.

http://www.capitalgazette.com/news/ph-ac-cn-man-saved-from-drowning-0718-20170718-story.html

Scuba, free dive, snorkel, or swim, SAFE!

Wow, I don't get it.

A tank of air should last an hour at those depths.  If visibility was so bad, any sober person would stand up a few times and not only check their bearings, but also their guages.  Swiming a search pattern for gear  might be difficult if you can't read the compass.

But removing the scuba gear and leaving the weight belt on???  Insane.  I cannot imagine any scenario where my right hand can't find the buckle and drop the belt instantly if needed.

How does one run out of air at that depth and fail to surface?  Tanks don't go from 500 lbs to O lbs without giving some unmistakable clues in the form of breathing resistance.  At that point, you surface and fill your BC with the remaining air.  If that is not sufficient, you dump the weight belt.

Either the reporting is missing something, or this guy is too stupid to be allowed access to water.

Ajax, I know you don't like diving with nettles, what I use in the summer time if they are bad is a thin neoprene hood that I cut out an opening for the mask and an opening for the regulator/mouthpiece.  I know I am allergic to bee stings (mildly) and the same with nettles...which I don't need while racing.  I put a slit up the back to help don it, and then cover it with a regular 3/5 mil hood that keeps me from bumping in the back of the head (not that it would do any good).

These masks have an oral-nasal partition similar to that used in commercial helmet or full face mask systems- but I bet not quite as well designed. They can be useful for people who have trouble holding a snorkel in their mouth. 

Supposedly “dry” snorkels rarely are in all circumstances, and cleaning boat bottoms puts you in attitudes not foreseen for snorkeling tourists. 

The biggest issue is that you can’t equalize your ears using this mask. That could put some serious strain on your eardrums when cleaning the keel. Commercial divers with an oral-nasal mask solve this by having a “snot lever” that allows them to pinch their nose closed. 

These are really for sitting on the surface and looking, not for working or diving. 

I second the comments about Atomic Aquatic’s masks. They license some of our designs, and from working with them for years I’ve seen them to be fanatically attentive to detail and quality. 

Best bet is a low volume mask, a simple straight snorkel, and learning to clear so it becomes automatic.

I also use a low volume mask, though that full face snorkel mask looks interesting.

Remove the snorkel part and use this as a personal dodger for small boats. I'm imagining myself wrapped up tightly in a drysuit or foulies, with this keeping water out of my face.

The problem with large volume masks is that between their buoyancy and size, they're easily knocked off the face by relatively little motion. Even turning your head quickly can cause the seal against your face to open and the mask to flood. They're just a bad idea.

Professional full-face masks have substantial strap solutions, usually with a back-of-head patch and five-point straps that offer a lot of stability with lower pressure than is needed with traditional two-point straps. And, they're worn by professionals.

Hey Ajax,

for the fun of it I brought one of these masks to the Carib in March and I will tell you I had a blast with it. you can breath through mouth and nose at the same time, it never fogged, the view is excellent and you can even talk to someone else while you're snorkeling because there's nothing in your mouth to prevent it. the valve clears well and the ball works as advertised to keep water out of the snorkel. Some of the other people on the trip liked mine so much they bought their own.

Having said that, there are two limitations.

1. you can only get about 4' down with it (6' if you're a masochist) because there is absolutely no way to equalize with this setup, since it covers the whole face and there's no way to hold your nose and blow. you can do something similar if you can exhale hard enough on your way down, but it's not very effective.

2. If your face is in and out of the water a lot (like when you're cleaning a bottom), the mask will fog up. Ask me how I know. for the boat bottom I've gone back to the normal mask and snorkel routine - it still fogs up in Boston Harbor but it's a lot easier to clear.

There's no need to equalize when you're not breathing compressed air, the pressure outside is the same as the pressure inside.

Not the pressure in your ears.

If you can't equalize, the pressure in you inner ear is very much less than the pressure outside. As a lifelong free diver, I can guarantee that if you can't equalize the pressure in your ears with the outside ambient pressure, things get very uncomfortable very quickly, and the potential for physical damage to your eardrum follows shortly afterwards.

There is zero difference in the need to equalize our ears between diving with compressed gas and free diving. Save for a very few souls with extremely open eustachian tubes, most of us need to be able to hold the nose closed in order to develop enough pressure to equalize. You can't do that with this mask. 

On 7/14/2017 at 10:13 PM, Elegua said:

Scubapro frameless. $$ but mine is still going after 20yrs. 

+1

best out there. I used it both for primary and backup for "sporty" dives.

never an issue

On 8/1/2017 at 4:27 PM, Moonduster said:

There's no need to equalize when you're not breathing compressed air, the pressure outside is the same as the pressure inside.

wanna bet? It took all of 1 dive below the surface for me to figure out the flaw in the design. I got good at exhaling really hard and getting a few extra feet down, but without being able to pinch the nose and blow it became painful at 8'. That's why when we went to the wreck of the Rhone, I wore a 'normal' mask to get down to her stern - the full face would have probably ruptured my eardrums long before I got that deep.

On 02/08/2017 at 2:01 AM, Oceanconcepts said:

If you can't equalize, the pressure in you inner ear is very much less than the pressure outside. As a lifelong free diver, I can guarantee that if you can't equalize the pressure in your ears with the outside ambient pressure, things get very uncomfortable very quickly, and the potential for physical damage to your eardrum follows shortly afterwards.

There is zero difference in the need to equalize our ears between diving with compressed gas and free diving. Save for a very few souls with extremely open eustachian tubes, most of us need to be able to hold the nose closed in order to develop enough pressure to equalize. You can't do that with this mask. 

unless you're using one of those swimmers' nose clamps.

38 minutes ago, Trovão said:

unless you're using one of those swimmers' nose clamps.

There is individual variation, but for most people I doubt those clamps will hold enough pressure to enable clearing the ears. They're really intended for keeping water out, not holding against exhalation pressure. I've known a few divers who could clear their ears just by swallowing, no nose pressure required, but for most of us it takes a pretty hard blow, less if you start clearing early in the descent. 

On 8/1/2017 at 10:27 AM, Moonduster said:

Dumbest thing I've read.  Wow.

I don't know how you would blow water out that enters thru the snorkel.  With a traditional snorkel it's easy.

14 hours ago, Ringmaster said:

I don't know how you would blow water out that enters thru the snorkel.  With a traditional snorkel it's easy.

you don't. there's a clearing valve at chin/mouth level, so anything that gets in the snorkel gets blown out there.