• Announcements

• Zapata

Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  
cpt_757

Difference between Lewmar evo and evo race?

Is there any difference between Lewmar evo and evo race other than weight?

any review for evo race?

Than you in advance,

I bought evo race winches to replace the old barients on my J/27.  The difference is the self-tailing mechanism is hard core aluminum and not chromed bronze and the top of the winch has a carbon insert.  I am satisfied with them and the power ratio in relation to the barients they replaced is comparable.  Price was a consideration when I made the choice.  West marine had a buy 1 get one free, plus they priced matched a online competitor.  The savings was so significant, that it negated my original intention to buy the harkens.  1/2 a season in, no regrets. 

3 hours ago, USA 236 said:

I bought evo race winches to replace the old barients on my J/27.  The difference is the self-tailing mechanism is hard core aluminum and not chromed bronze and the top of the winch has a carbon insert.  I am satisfied with them and the power ratio in relation to the barients they replaced is comparable.  Price was a consideration when I made the choice.  West marine had a buy 1 get one free, plus they priced matched a online competitor.  The savings was so significant, that it negated my original intention to buy the harkens.  1/2 a season in, no regrets. 

Thank you very much,

8 hours ago, carcrash said:

I ordered and received a complete set of Evo winches for the Olson 40. When they arrived, I was dismayed, they simply looked crappy in real life. They were very heavy. I returned them.

Before ordering the winches, the visual quality difference between winches from different manufacturers was not evident. I read no comments suggesting one manufacturers winches looked better or worse than anothers. But when they arrived, bummer. This is a problem with the lack of inventory in marine hardware stores: if West Marine still had example winches on display, it would have been obvious before I ordered them. 

Instead, I am going with Harken aluminum Radial winches. MUCH lighter, and they sure look a lot better in real life. The Harken scalloped drum looks and feels like it holds the line better, but not enough first hand experience to be definitive.

Both seem easy to install and service. Prices were very close.

Oh: I bought the Lewmars during West Marine 2-for-one sale too.

I may wait till 2 for one deal by west marine if they have race evo which is lighter.