Barnyb

AC36 Auckland NZ

The Western Reclamation is severely contaminated and Auckland City will now have to shoulder the entire costs of remediation as their costly and unsuccessful legal challenges against the head leaseholder Mobil failed.

This is one very toxic piece of real estate and one can smell it approaching from harbour side.

When Panuku and it’s private sector bedmates finally get their dibs on this contaminated jewel public open space will be unfortunately not be a priority.

Sad and shameful come to mind.

2 hours ago, Priscilla said:

KJ , the over arching design tragedy that is unfolding in the Western Reclamation is just the needle tip as to how this harbour has been poorly managed and developed.

The local port authority has run amok with poorly and sadly deeply impacting expansion that has left the landscape the worse off.

The port is on notice to look to the future and relocate which in my opinion is not the best focus to mitigate the damage done.

Auckland is a port has been from day one and should remain so but without the  port authority having a free  liscence to alter the harbour environment to suit its poor planning outcomes.

Take heart mate!  Remember the Monty Pythons.  "Always look on the bright side of life."

Mine is a more optimistic take than yours.  Too bad the port from the outset developed  at the foot of the city and then hid behind that  hulking red cast iron barricade. However other cities around the world have coped with similar problems and the solutions have been relocation.  It's inevitable for Auckland too. 

So the City Fathers get a second bite of the cherry as they dismantle the past and look to the future. The change will take years, decades, with ample time to get it right. If the work equals or surpasses the standards set by the Council's North Wharf project, the superb end-to-end design and landscaping of Jellicoe Street and the evolving Daldy Street greenscape we will be well served.

Which brings me back to the Tank Farm.  When finally cleared, save for the Port properties it will be the only remaining Council-owed public waterfront space  between the bridge and Mechanics Bay. All manner of hopefuls will want to get their sticky fingers in that pie but it's unique nature and location should insure a sympathetic outcome. 

Hey, if it comes to a fight I may even have to hold my nose and join SOH!

14 minutes ago, sclarke said:

Bit more detail in the press release:
https://mailchi.mp/2b143b4b20da/press-release-ac75-class-rule-revealed-236195

"TVNZ to push the boat out with America’s Cup coverage

• TVNZ has signed an agreement with the Defender and Challenger of Record for the exclusive national broadcast rights for the 36th America’s Cup in New Zealand
  • All racing will be broadcast live on free to air TV and live streamed on TVNZ OnDemand

- America’s Cup World Series 2019
                - America’s Cup World Series 2020
                - America’s Cup Christmas Race 2020: Auckland
                - Prada Cup - Challenger Selection Series 2021: Auckland
                - 36th America’s Cup Match Presented by Prada 2021: Auckland

TVNZ has secured the exclusive broadcast rights for New Zealand to the 36thAmerica’s Cup which includes the preliminary World Series events, the Christmas Race in 2020, followed by the Prada Cup in early 2021 and the 36thAmerica’s Cup Presented by Prada in March 2021.

The event’s return to TVNZ will give New Zealanders access to all races broadcast live and live streaming will also be available across TVNZ’s platforms. Coverage will begin with the America’s Cup World Series in 2019 and culminate with Emirates Team New Zealand’s defence of the Auld Mug in 2021 during the 36th America’s Cup Match Presented by Prada in Auckland.

The deal resumes TVNZ’s association with the event that goes back to 1987 when it was part of the original family of five sponsors of Emirates Team New Zealand.

TVNZ’s Chief Executive Kevin Kenrick stated that TVNZ will deliver viewers extensive Cup coverage across TVNZ 1, DUKE, TVNZ OnDemand and 1 NEWS NOW:

“The event returning to TVNZ brings to mind Peter Montgomery’s iconic TV commentary – “The America’s Cup is now New Zealand’s Cup” – because it brings the whole country together and as a nation, we’re really invested in the team’s success. We’re going to push the boat out to make our coverage accessible to the biggest audiences so everyone feels part of the action.”

“From the first boats hitting the water to the final Cup race, we’re committed to bringing New Zealanders every moment of the America’s Cup. Every regatta and every race will be screened live and free across a range of platforms and devices. We know sports fans don’t want to miss a moment, so we won’t break to ads during live racing.”

Grant Dalton, CEO of Defender, Emirates Team New Zealand, says TVNZ’s involvement will maximise the number of New Zealanders that see the event. “It has been a fundamental principle of Emirates Team New Zealand and the Challenger of Record that the America’s Cup be accessible to as many Kiwis as possible since we won the trophy back almost one year ago. TVNZ have committed to provide coverage of this America’s Cup like no other, so we are delighted that the America’s Cup Match Presented by Prada and all preceding events will be broadcast live and free to air for all New Zealanders to watch and be part of.”

"Within Luna Rossa we are very happy about this agreement with New Zealand’s most prominent broadcaster, it is great news for all of us.  We are looking forward to showing the potential of the new America’s Cup Class boats,” said Max Sirena, Skipper of Luna Rossa.

“As the Challenger of Record for the 36th America’s Cup, we are pleased to jointly sign this agreement with TVNZ and the Defender.  It is the first broadcast rights agreement to be signed and exemplifies our commitment to ensuring wide reaching broadcast and digital coverage of the America’s Cup both in New Zealand and globally,” stated Laurent Esquier, CEO of COR 36.

And as part of TVNZ’s agreement, NZME’s Newstalk ZB and Radio Sport will deliver exclusive radio commentary of the event."

On 5/30/2018 at 8:06 PM, Priscilla said:

Auckland is a port has been from day one and should remain so but without the  port authority having a free  liscence to alter the harbour environment to suit its poor planning outcomes.

Why should it remain a port? It returns very little to the economy for the value of the land and makes Auckland's lovely harbor with a wart. Look at Sydney, Darling Harbor was Sydney's Port and it became an overcrowd eye-saw. They relocated it to botany, made Darling Harbor a delight. We could do it too.

This is our harbor 

Port-land-Carpark-Current.jpg

21 hours ago, kiwi777 said:

Why should it remain a port? It returns very little to the economy for the value of the land and makes Auckland's lovely harbor with a wart. Look at Sydney, Darling Harbor was Sydney's Port and it became an overcrowd eye-saw (sic). They relocated it to botany, made Darling Harbor a delight. We could do it too.

This is a VERY selective yardstick to use, and taken to extremes one could also say that the Auckland War Memorial Museum returns even less to the economy for the value of the land it sits on. Or how about Auckland Hospital as an even worse case, because it actually TAKES money from the economy and also sits on a very valuable piece of land.

And how about the land under every house in Auckland? My own little piece of land is worth close to a million buckazoids thanks to inflation and unlimited demand, and it returns NOTHING to the economy (in fact, I could swear it costs me and my wife money to even reside on it). Need I go on?

The fact is that the port in Auckland contributes a huge amount to the economy of not just Auckland, but to NZ in total. If you are advocating for moving it, then you need to come up with a much better economic argument as to why .

I just wish the Port company would figure out a better way to use the bit between the main wharves rather than constantly trying to extend further into the harbour on the ends.

Something like this would give them more land area & useful berthing with much less negative impact than the stupid shit they are doing/proposing.

2gHqSjG.png

3 hours ago, Count Drac said:

This is a VERY selective yardstick to use, and taken to extremes one could also say that the Auckland War Memorial Museum returns even less to the economy for the value of the land it sits on. Or how about Auckland Hospital as an even worse case, because it actually TAKES money from the economy and also sits on a very valuable piece of land.

And how about the land under every house in Auckland? My own little piece of land is worth close to a million buckazoids thanks to inflation and unlimited demand, and it returns NOTHING to the economy (in fact, I could swear it costs me and my wife money to even reside on it). Need I go on?

The fact is that the port in Auckland contributes a huge amount to the economy of not just Auckland, but to NZ in total. If you are advocating for moving it, then you need to come up with a much better economic argument as to why .

No it doesn't, don't quote myths send out by people that profit from it. It did last year have a record year of $60M EBIT  (up from $20M a few years ago) but that is only about 1/3000th of NZ GDP and very insignificant to Auckland councils multi-billion dollar spend every year. Tourism in Auckland's revenue is estimated at 3.5 Billion a year or 3.5% of GDP.

Also moving most of it to Whangarei or giving to to Tauranga will not effect NZ jobs or its contribution to the economy. 

Norway has fantastic views little seen by the tourists but are loved by their people but if you want to get touristy you can quote the beaches in California or the waterfront in Sydney, the Eiffel tower, Statue of Liberty, The Leaning Tower of Pisa or many other tourist attractions round the world, In my obvious biased opinion Auckland Harbor is up there, We just hide it behind ugly things.

Whats the total EBIT for Tourism?

That $3.5B is Revenue so you should compare with the total value of goods that go through the Port no?

On 6/2/2018 at 3:59 AM, hoom said:

Whats the total EBIT for Tourism?

That $3.5B is Revenue so you should compare with the total value of goods that go through the Port no?

Absolutely not. Toyota brings a car into New Zealand the value of the car is not attributed to ports of Auckland contribution, only a small part of the shipping costs is (very small). The car will come in anyway whether its come into AK, Whangarei or Tauranga. In fact my argument is it would be cheaper unloading the things anyplace apart from Auckland's waterfront. Tourism is another factor. nicer we make it more will come.  

But that's not the final consideration, Auckland is where we live, Do you want to live in a nice house or a council flat. The Billions we spend a your on Auckland should be focused into our living place  

On 6/1/2018 at 8:05 PM, hoom said:

I just wish the Port company would figure out a better way to use the bit between the main wharves rather than constantly trying to extend further into the harbour on the ends.

Something like this would give them more land area & useful berthing with much less negative impact than the stupid shit they are doing/proposing.

2gHqSjG.png

I wish they would just piss off to Tauranga/Whangarei.

• Like 1

On 6/9/2018 at 7:33 AM, Stingray~ said:

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=12066828

When the horn sounds for the America's Cup in 2021, the Auckland waterfront will be sporting a new, jazzed-up look.

(vid)

Those mooring dolphins will be fun in a Nor’easter and incoming tide.

1 hour ago, Priscilla said:

Bit of a joke really.

Wynyard wharf is plenty long enough to berth the largest of cruise liners as it is.

Could be the joke is on you!  

Why have the biggest liner visitors stayed out in the harbour, manoeuvring under power while sending their tourist passengers ashore is small craft if the existing wharves are adequate?

This comes down to staying abreast of development.  Adapt to change or loose business and face the consequences.

I've received all manner of emails regarding my submission(s) to the AC development.

Today however, I received an email from environment court with all the submitters email addresses visible. I have blurred them out on the picture below to not make matters worse. What a bunch of fuck-tards.

Email.jpg