Barnyb

AC36 Auckland NZ

On 3/2/2019 at 5:59 PM, Sea420 said:

Now. Everyone get back to buying all your shit in plastic bags and shitting out toxic ass gas whilst driving your V8 BMW to get some smokes from the corner store.

We've got 12 years to save the planet from irreversible damage that'll see climate change so severe that all life on earth will cease to exist in 140 years. Are you doing anything to prevent this?

*Opens anothet plastic bottle of water and throws cap into the sea.......

Well,  Land Rover continues to tank.  Major losses continue for The Diesel Dinosaur.  

Doing their part with layoffs & “restructuring” ....only ten years too late.  Crock of sheit the Indians bought.   Laughable that Tata didn’t see that coming.

One less footprint.

A CSS (PRADA CUP) and an America's Cup which was hyped up by Emirates Team New Zealand having the most Challengers since the 2007 AC in VLC when they announced the 6th Challenger in late December 2018 may hit "Dry Land" soon.

But what did we expect? A radical new boat design similar to the AC 72 Class, prize tags going through the Roof, etc. ETNZ/LR should be happy that someone signed to to this expensive nonsense at all.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dg_sailingfan said:

A CSS (PRADA CUP) and an America's Cup which was hyped up by Emirates Team New Zealand having the most Challengers since the 2007 AC in VLC when they announced the 6th Challenger in late December 2018 may hit "Dry Land" soon.

But what did we expect? A radical new boat design similar to the AC 72 Class, prize tags going through the Roof, etc. ETNZ/LR should be happy that someone signed to to this expensive nonsense at all.

Shut the Fuck up A4E. Go and watch your second rate SailGP circuit with all the second place boats and all the second place teams.

• Downvote 1

8 minutes ago, Forourselves said:

Shut the Fuck up A4E. Go and watch your second rate SailGP circuit with all the second place boats and all the second place teams.

Looks like someone can't aknowledge the truth here. The only "Late Entry" who seems to make it to Auckland is Stars & Stripes Team USA. Auckland will have only 4 Challengers and the worst AC ever.

• Like 1
  • Downvote 1

Haha, it will definitely not be the worst AC ever, because there will be lots of Anarchists around, of course lots of AC-passionate Kiwis, and people from all over the world. It will be a party, at least as much fun as AC33 in VLC and AC34 in SF. Can't wait to get there!
The competition? Well, it'S just an excuse to meet all these great people :wub: . So relax, enjoy and be a part of it.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, dg_sailingfan said:

Looks like someone can't aknowledge the truth here. The only "Late Entry" who seems to make it to Auckland is Stars & Stripes Team USA. Auckland will have only 4 Challengers and the worst AC ever.

The worst ever AC's were the last two...by far.

7 hours ago, NeedAClew said:

^Was that because of the number of entries?

Auckland could quite possibly have less Entries than Bermuda so if that is his reason for saying the last two AC's were the worst ever it's a very bad one.

Certainly AC 34 was very exciting IMO.

These new AC 75's are totally out of control, they are less stable compared to the AC 72's we saw in San Francisco. Max Sirena pointed that out in the article posted in the LR Thread.

Auckland has an absolute horrible Time Zone to follow the Races particularly for the CoR Luna Rossa under the stewardship of PRADA. The biggest market for PRADA is Europe and I can't imagine any other than hardcore AC Fans or supporters of LR & INEOS waking up at 03.00 UK Time or 04.00 CET to watch them.

We're less than two years away from the 1st America's Cup Race and less than one year away from the start of the ACWS yet aside from TVNZ (TV New Zealand) there are no TV Deals at all that we can speak of. That shows you that virtually no one is interested in this thing at the moment.

I pretty much expect the TV Audience to decline for AC 36 because it's on the other side of the world.

Meanwhile the inaugural SailGP Season will be broadcasted all over the world.

• Like 1
  • Downvote 1

3 hours ago, dg_sailingfan said:

Auckland could quite possibly have less Entries than Bermuda so if that is his reason for saying the last two AC's were the worst ever it's a very bad one.

These new AC 75's are totally out of control, they are less stable compared to the AC 72's we saw in San Francisco. Max Sirena pointed that out in the article posted in the LR Thread.

Auckland has an absolute horrible Time Zone to follow the Races particularly for the CoR Luna Rossa under the stewardship of PRADA. The biggest market for PRADA is Europe and I can't imagine any other than hardcore AC Fans or supporters of LR & INEOS waking up at 03.00 UK Time or 04.00 CET to watch them.

We're less than two years away from the 1st America's Cup Race and less than one year away from the start of the ACWS yet aside from TVNZ (TV New Zealand) there are no TV Deals at all that we can speak of. That shows you that virtually no one is interested in this thing at the moment.

I pretty much expect the TV Audience to decline for AC 36 because it's on the other side of the world.

I pretty much expect the TV Audience to decline ......... because it's on the other side of the world.

S'funny, I distinctly remember Gary Jobson hammering away a few decades ago on that very theme before the AC in Freo!

4 hours ago, dg_sailingfan said:

Auckland could quite possibly have more challengers than Bermuda. Infact, as of today, it does!

How do you know how "out of control" the AC75's are!? We haven't even seen one yet! We have a test boat doing dry laps, which is more than can be said for the F50's!

Come on, the only countries that matter in sailing will watch. NZ, Italy,  the UK. The US doesn't give a crap about sailing anyway, so who cares?

NZ has a very good TV deal, free to air, and live. No doubt there are more to come.

SailGP is shit. You have to buy a shitty app, its geo restricted, not broadcast live in countries like NZ, which come on, the home of the Americas Cup.

The boats can't even stay on the foils, and the teams are second rate haha, fail!

20 minutes ago, Forourselves said:

Auckland could quite possibly have more challengers than Bermuda. Infact, as of today, it does!

How do you know how "out of control" the AC75's are!? We haven't even seen one yet! We have a test boat doing dry laps, which is more than can be said for the F50's!

Come on, the only countries that matter in sailing will watch. NZ, Italy,  the UK. The US doesn't give a crap about sailing anyway, so who cares?

NZ has a very good TV deal, free to air, and live. No doubt there are more to come.

SailGP is shit. You have to buy a shitty app, its geo restricted, not broadcast live in countries like NZ, which come on, the home of the Americas Cup.

The boats can't even stay on the foils, and the teams are second rate haha, fail!

We know a lot About the AC 75's from Simulation and these sims are usually quite accurate compared to the actual Performance of the boat.

Sirena warned that the new boat lacked the stability of the catamarans.

"This is a monohull without a keel, with appendages that weigh little. A hyper-powerful boat, very light, with little stability. There are fractions of a second that there is zero stability, if the helmsman and the trimmer cannot anticipate this zero moment, you fall back … go from 30-40 knots to zero, you have a g-force that shoots you in the air," he said in an article in La Stampa.

That tells you pretty much everything about these Boats. If they lack the stability of cats it's very bad cuz that means more safety concerns among other issues and potentially a lot of of capzizing. Very bad move to put the monos on foils then. Either they should have kept the cats or they should have gone back to a traditional monohull we saw in AC's in the early 90ties and 2000's.

Italy & UK are in Europe you little clown.

• Like 1
  • Downvote 1

3 minutes ago, dg_sailingfan said:

We know a lot About the AC 75's from Simulation and These sims are usually quite accurate compared to the actual Performance of the boat.

Sirena warned that the new boat lacked the stability of the catamarans.

"This is a monohull without a keel, with appendages that weigh little. A hyper-powerful boat, very light, with little stability. There are fractions of a second that there is zero stability, if the helmsman and the trimmer cannot anticipate this zero moment, you fall back … go from 30-40 knots to zero, you have a g-force that shoots you in the air," he said in an article in La Stampa.

That tells you pretty much everything about these Boats. If they lack the stability of cats it's very bad cuz that means more safety concerns among other issues and potentially a lot of of capzizing. Very bad move to put the monos on foils then. Either they should have kept the cats or they should have gone back to a traditional monohull we saw in AC's in the early 90ties and 2000's.

Italy & UK are in Europe you little clown.

So did Hutchinson. Then he came out a few weeks later and said they were dry lapping. We all know they're unstable, but hey, its a sailing challenge, not a holiday like the F50's are.

1 minute ago, Forourselves said:

So did Hutchinson. Then he came out a few weeks later and said they were dry lapping. We all know they're unstable, but hey, its a sailing challenge, not a holiday like the F50's are.

The F 50's are not comparable. I am thinking more along the lines of the AC 72's we had in San Francisco. Despite their horrendous fast speeds they looked pretty safe & stable if look at the Videos from the Challenger Finals & AC Match itself. If Sirena is accurate and the AC 75's are as unstable as he claims they will be then this is going to cause a lot of problems and the NZ Coast Guard may have to get involved as well to get a safe competition.

• Like 2
  • Downvote 1

The F 50's are not comparable. I am thinking more along the lines of the AC 72's we had in San Francisco. Despite their horrendous fast speeds they looked pretty safe & stable if look at the Videos from the Challenger Finals & AC Match itself. If Sirena is accurate and the AC 75's are as unstable as he claims they will be then this is going to cause a lot of problems and the NZ Coast Guard may have to get involved as well to get a safe competition.

The AC72's Pretty safe?? Two of them broke apart, one drifted out towards the Golden Gate Bridge and the other one killed a sailor! 

One had a rudder break off in training, one nosedived, and only through safe design did it pop out and not pitchpole, the same one almost capsized while racing, not to mention the one that needed an exception from the class rule just to make the start line! 

The AC75's are inherently unstable, that's the challenge of sailing them, and the reason those involved are excited about the concept. I remember when the AC72's were launched, and there was the same apprehension about them too, simply because of the speeds they would achieve. Now those speeds they were once concerned about, are just part of the game. I believe the teams will come up with boats that will prove to be a challenge, but will not be as "unsafe" as many think (or hope) they will be. 

8 hours ago, dg_sailingfan said:

I've been watching the new series on Netflix about the Formula 1.  It's very good by the way. But then it suddenly dawned on me, the SailGP series is the same as A1 Racing https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A1_Grand_Prix

Nationally branded teams, racing one design boats/cars.  It sounds great, but actually it was shit and within 5 years it died out in favor of something more challenging, with some history.

I don't care if AC36 is boring as hell, or whether no one watches it.  The best possible result is that no one enters and we keep hold of the cup.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Ex-yachtie said:

I've been watching the new series on Netflix about the Formula 1.  It's very good by the way. But then it suddenly dawned on me, the SailGP series is the same as A1 Racing https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A1_Grand_Prix

Nationally branded teams, racing one design boats/cars.  It sounds great, but actually it was shit and within 5 years it died out in favor of something more challenging, with some history.

Except SailGP is going to last two years at most unless a tsunami destroys auckland or the AC75 barely moves

6 hours ago, Forourselves said:

Pardon, but NZ is not the fckg home of the America's Cup!  They are the current holders of the Cup, but your delusion is hysterical.

17 hours ago, Forourselves said:

^^And the amount of BS that accompanied that. 

This has got to be the post of the year!  You complaining about BS......lol

3 minutes ago, Herfy said:

Pardon, but NZ is not the fckg home of the America's Cup!  They are the current holders of the Cup, but your delusion is hysterical.

How does the saying go? Home is where your rump rests, and right now, the rump of the Americas Cup rests in Auckland, so yes it is the home of the Americas Cup. Until it goes to a new home. It is your delusion of "I refuse to accept NZ as the home of the Americas Cup because i don't like their fans" haha

4 minutes ago, Herfy said:

This has got to be the post of the year!  You complaining about BS......lol

This has got to be the post of the year! And you've got the audacity to tell others to "open their eyes" lol

6 minutes ago, Forourselves said:

How does the saying go? Home is where your rump rests, and right now, the rump of the Americas Cup rests in Auckland, so yes it is the home of the Americas Cup. Until it goes to a new home. It is your delusion of "I refuse to accept NZ as the home of the Americas Cup because i don't like their fans" haha

It has nothing to do with the great fans in NZ.  Calling NZ the home of the AC is just ridiculous.  

So, by your logic, where ever a person or object travels it is always home.  I guess I will be back home in Amsterdam in a few weeks, and also home in Denmark, Russia, Norway, Finland, Belgium, etc...  I haven't yet been home in New Zealand, but I hope to in a few years....

2 hours ago, MR.CLEAN said:

Except SailGP is going to last two years at most unless a tsunami destroys auckland or the AC75 barely moves

Well, golly, if the AC75 barely moves they could rent F50s and have some time to custom modify their foils for the design competition part. Six cats will be plenty? 

JUST KIDDING.   

3 minutes ago, Herfy said:

It has nothing to do with the great fans in NZ.  Calling NZ the home of the AC is just ridiculous.  

Where is the home of the AC?

19 minutes ago, NeedAClew said:

Well, golly, if the AC75 barely moves they could rent F50s and have some time to custom modify their foils for the design competition part. Six cats will be plenty? 

JUST KIDDING.   

Been there done that..AC35

54 minutes ago, Herfy said:

So, by your logic, where ever a person or object travels it is always home.  I guess I will be back home in Amsterdam in a few weeks, and also home in Denmark, Russia, Norway, Finland, Belgium, etc...  I haven't yet been home in New Zealand, but I hope to in a few years....

Hahahahaha If you went to all those places and bought a house in all of those places and resided there for a significant amount of time, then you could absolutely say while you were residing there those places were your "Home". Just like the AC, which resides in Auckland until it shifts to its next home. Otherwise the only home you could say was truly your home would be your mothers womb. Now you see how stupid you sound!?

7 hours ago, Forourselves said:

Hahahahaha If you went to all those places and bought a house in all of those places and resided there for a significant amount of time, then you could absolutely say while you were residing there those places were your "Home". Just like the AC, which resides in Auckland until it shifts to its next home. Otherwise the only home you could say was truly your home would be your mothers womb. Now you see how stupid you sound!?

Just put down the shovel.  First you say "Home is where your rump rests" and now you claim you have to buy houses and reside for a significant amount of time.   You sound like "Frump", changing the facts to fit your latest story.

Claiming to be "the home" of the AC is like claiming that it originated in New Zealand.  With all due respect, the home of the America's Cup would be Great Britain or America (NYYC).  They started the tradition.  

You know that it was just an off the cuff remark to support you argument of TV coverage, just own it for what it was, it's no big deal.

21 minutes ago, Herfy said:

Just put down the shovel.  First you say "Home is where your rump rests" and now you claim you have to buy houses and reside for a significant amount of time.   You sound like "Frump", changing the facts to fit your latest story.

Claiming to be "the home" of the AC is like claiming that it originated in New Zealand.  With all due respect, the home of the America's Cup would be Great Britain or America (NYYC).  They started the tradition.  

You know that it was just an off the cuff remark to support you argument of TV coverage, just own it for what it was, it's no big deal.

The home of the Americas Cup is the yacht club it resides in at the time. That home is RNZYS until its not. It was the GGYC, but it no longer is. Anything else is just stupid. The Americas Cup hasn't resided for any significant amount of time in the UK for over 100 years, so No, its not the home of the Americas Cup anymore. Likewise the NYYC. 

Just bring yourself to say it...its not hard..its really not. New Zealand and the RNZYS is the home of the Americas Cup, until it goes to a new home, where ever it may be.

23 hours ago, Forourselves said:

The home of the Americas Cup is the yacht club it resides in at the time. That home is RNZYS until its not. It was the GGYC, but it no longer is. Anything else is just stupid. The Americas Cup hasn't resided for any significant amount of time in the UK for over 100 years, so No, its not the home of the Americas Cup anymore. Likewise the NYYC. 

Just bring yourself to say it...its not hard..its really not. New Zealand and the RNZYS is the home of the Americas Cup, until it goes to a new home, where ever it may be.

You are alone in an echo chamber.

the home of something

From Longman Dictionary of Contemporary English
the home of something
a) the place where something was first discovered, made, or developed
 America is the home of baseball.

12 minutes ago, Herfy said:

Baseball is just a shortened, dumbed down, bastardised version of cricket. Ditto for gridiron, which has its roots in rugby. BTW sailing and rugby are the two best sports on the planet, and Kiwis are the best at both.

9 hours ago, Herfy said:

the home of something

the home of something

Still can't bring yourself to say it huh? Hahahahaha how sad you are. So if we're using the dictionary for definition of everything, is this boat a Monohull or a Multihull? 

13 hours ago, Herfy said:

the home of something

the home of something

You're being a bit selective there aren't you?  From the same dictionary:

Capture.PNG

• Like 1

Ha ha ha.

Boom

I hope this soon gets a well deserved death...but it is a slow news week.

3 hours ago, Ex-yachtie said:

You're being a bit selective there aren't you?  From the same dictionary:

Capture.PNG

Not to keep dragging this on, but he did say "home of the" not current home as in location.

I'm just here for the banner ads in the screenshots!

1 hour ago, Herfy said:

Not to keep dragging this on, but he did say "home of the" not current home as in location.

Not to keep dragging this on but "Home of the" and "Current home of the" mean the same thing. Rugby originated in England, yet NZ is considered the home of rugby.

They didn't mention the carrier Clew. This is a good development, as if they'd been further delays it could have really derailed the event.

Never really understood why a $200 campaign like InEos would use the enemies technology???

its all a distraction...

7 hours ago, Herfy said:

Great.  Let's just call New Zealand the America's Cup's home, not the home of the America's Cup.  It's clear now.

On 3/28/2019 at 1:13 PM, Herfy said:

the home of something

the home of something

I thought "home is where the heart is".  New Zealand certainly loves the America's Cup more than anyone else so you can't blame it for moving in and calling the place home! ;)

On 3/26/2019 at 2:28 PM, Forourselves said:

Nice spin try but Malta is all but OUT and Dutchsail looks gloomy as well.

• Downvote 1

Nice spin try but Malta is all but OUT and Dutchsail looks gloomy as well.

They're in until they're out. Both Challenges have been accepted, and as of today, there are 7 teams. Doesn't matter what you think looks gloomy, and all but out. All matters is what is fact. And the facts are, there is 7 teams in this Americas Cup, and SailGP is crap.

5 minutes ago, Forourselves said:

They're in until they're out. Both Challenges have been accepted, and as of today, there are 7 teams. Doesn't matter what you think looks gloomy, and all but out. All matters is what is fact. And the facts are, there is 7 teams in this Americas Cup, and SailGP is crap.

Let's see how many Teams are IN after Monday Afternoon New Zealand Time, then we'll talk.

• Like 1
  • Downvote 1

6 minutes ago, dg_sailingfan said:

Let's see how many Teams are IN after Monday Afternoon New Zealand Time, then we'll talk.

What do you care anyway? You were one of these guys who said when there was 3 challengers "They only have 3 challengers, worst AC of all time, they should've been able to get 5" then when they got 6 you said "Oh they should've just stuck with the 3 challengers because these ones have no chance of winning". Nothing will satisfy you anyway, so why don't you go watch your crap SailGP.

On 3/30/2019 at 8:13 AM, dg_sailingfan said:

So anyway, its now Tuesday evening NZ time. Are we talking yet?

10 minutes ago, Forourselves said:

Its the same report posted previously that has been reported as being "False"

False doesn't mean that the likelyhood is dead. It maybe false right now but only for the time being.

Take Malta for example:

# 1 Since their initial Announcement there have been NO Tweets.

# 2 There is NO Website

# 3 There is NO Team Announcement which your beloved Richard Gladwell claimed would come during the 1st Quarter of 2019.

and lastly # 4 The entire Maltese Government have withdrawn their support for the Challenge so Pasquale Cataldi is on his own now hence the Challenge got renamed "ALTUS CHALLENGE" instead of "MALTA ALTUS CHALLENGE".

So, while some of it in the article might be false the piece where it says that quote Malta is "Dead in the water" I find very much believable given that they have completely gone dark.

• Like 1
  • Downvote 2

23 minutes ago, dg_sailingfan said:

False doesn't mean that the likelyhood is dead. It maybe false right now but only for the time being.

Take Malta for example:

# 1 Since their initial Announcement there have been NO Tweets.

# 2 There is NO Website

# 3 There is NO Team Announcement which your beloved Richard Gladwell claimed would come during the 1st Quarter of 2019.

and lastly # 4 The entire Maltese Government have withdrawn their support for the Challenge so Pasquale Cataldi is on his own now hence the Challenge got renamed "ALTUS CHALLENGE" instead of "MALTA ALTUS CHALLENGE".

So, while some of it in the article might be false the piece where it says that quote Malta is "Dead in the water" I find very much believable given that they have completely gone dark.

So if the report is indeed false right now, than it is indeed false. The report you have quoted is indeed false. 

Look, I think every realistic person knew from the get-go that Malta was a challenge that would struggle - but until they are indeed out, their challenge has been accepted, and they are IN, and as of today, they are still listed on Americas Cup.com as a Challenger.

They may end up withdrawing, but as of today, they have not.

14 minutes ago, Forourselves said:

So if the report is indeed false right now, than it is indeed false. The report you have quoted is indeed false. 

Look, I think every realistic person knew from the get-go that Malta was a challenge that would struggle - but until they are indeed out, their challenge has been accepted, and they are IN, and as of today, they are still listed on Americas Cup.com as a Challenger.

They may end up withdrawing, but as of today, they have not.

They are listed as "Malta Altus Challenge". Someone should tell Americas Cup.com Webmaster that the Team's Name is now "Altus Challenge". Look, it might seem small ball here but this is BIG. When the Challenge was announced Dec. 8th 2018 and Gladwell did the Interview with Cataldi published on Sail-World/NZ Cataldi said that his Challenge would be similar to ETNZ funded by the Maltese Government. That is no longer be the case hence their financial struggles.

You're making the same mistake like you did when you said SailGP would never happen, they never get started, etc. therefore I take your view regarding Malta still being a Challenger with a huge grain of salt.

• Like 1
  • Downvote 2

48 minutes ago, Forourselves said:

Same delusion as you had for SailGP.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dg_sailingfan said:

They are listed as "Malta Altus Challenge". Someone should tell Americas Cup.com Webmaster that the Team's Name is now "Altus Challenge". Look, it might seem small ball here but this is BIG. When the Challenge was announced Dec. 8th 2018 and Gladwell did the Interview with Cataldi published on Sail-World/NZ Cataldi said that his Challenge would be similar to ETNZ funded by the Maltese Government. That is no longer be the case hence their financial struggles.

You're making the same mistake like you did when you said SailGP would never happen, they never get started, etc. therefore I take your view regarding Malta still being a Challenger with a huge grain of salt.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/other-sports/111746720/team-new-zealand-insist-late-entries-are-still-in-americas-cup-race--for-now

Maybe take this then.

26 minutes ago, dg_sailingfan said:

I don't care what they say. They maybe right on Dutchsail & S & S but they certainly won't be right on Malta and they know it.

Newshub piece quotes TNZ as saying "no team had officially withdrawn yet - but it didn't expect all three to be there in 2021."

I guess they're right on that given Malta.  It's all Malta's fault!

And the non-med world asks "what's a malta" 

I don’t understand what all the fuss is about, it’s hardly a fucking surprise that not all syndicates make it to the AC or the Volvo etc, etc. 

• Like 2

My tin foil hat has slipped a bit and I am wondering about real estate development skullduggery.  Wasn't there some correlation between teams and what got invested/developed?

I don't care what they say. They maybe right on Dutchsail & S & S but they certainly won't be right on Malta and they know it.

Hahahaha "I don't care what they say" lol

Who gives a fuck about Malta anyway!? Before Malta came along you were commenting about how ETNZ couldn't get the same or more competitors on the start line than Larry did. Then after the 6 were announced you were commenting that you didn't give a shit how many teams there were and you only wanted the 3 strong teams because the others had no chance of winning, now that some of the teams (Malta) may not make it, you're going on about the number of teams again? As far as the development deal, as the report states, ETNZ had to provide 3 challengers for the government to agree to develop the Waterfront area. They've done that, so whats the real problem? Are we back to "If ETNZ can't get more teams than Larry than its a huge failure?

By the way, don't private message me asking to make a deal to pay $10 (Big spender lol) if Malta make the start line. You already said you'd talk after Monday afternoon, well its Wednesday now, and nothing except "I don't care what they say because I know better than everyone" lol

Re just 3 teams needed for development wasn't there something about more area if more than 3 team bases needed?  Back last year in the Auckland thread? I do not know Wynard etc so cannot recall exactly.

Nice Article by Richard Gladwell (NZ's Partisan Hack)

Gladwell's Line: America's Cup enters a critical Phase

https://www.sail-world.com/news/215989/Gladwells-Line-The-Riddle-of-the-Am-Cup-Releases

But he is wrong on Malta

While we had been told by a first hand source, based in Europe, that Malta Challenge did have some serious issues, which don't need to be aired here, it was equally true that they were the easiest Challenge to get tracking - as "all" that was required was a major cash injection into the team. The rest of the Challenge was set for take-off, and they had some very good people involved. It would be one of the big disappointments of the 36th America's Cup if Malta were not on the start line.

Translation: They awaiting funding (Cash) and if they don't get it then they're out.

Gladwell is right on one thing he said and that's the most important right here:

The two teams which haven't started boats need to do so by May or early June at the latest to hit a launch date of February 2020 ready to race in April 2020.

Those two Teams are Dutchsail and Malta.

And I say this: "Show me the boat first before we talk competing in the PRADA CUP"

• Downvote 1

5 hours ago, dg_sailingfan said:

Gladwell's Line: America's Cup enters a critical Phase

https://www.sail-world.com/news/215989/Gladwells-Line-The-Riddle-of-the-Am-Cup-Releases

But he is wrong on Malta

While we had been told by a first hand source, based in Europe, that Malta Challenge did have some serious issues, which don't need to be aired here, it was equally true that they were the easiest Challenge to get tracking - as "all" that was required was a major cash injection into the team. The rest of the Challenge was set for take-off, and they had some very good people involved. It would be one of the big disappointments of the 36th America's Cup if Malta were not on the start line.

Translation: They awaiting funding (Cash) and if they don't get it then they're out.

Gladwell is right on one thing he said and that's the most important right here:

The two teams which haven't started boats need to do so by May or early June at the latest to hit a launch date of February 2020 ready to race in April 2020.

Those two Teams are Dutchsail and Malta.

And I say this: "Show me the boat first before we talk competing in the PRADA CUP"

And I say this: Its now Thursday morning. You wanted to talk on Monday NZ Time because you got duped on April Fools day. Now you wanna see a boat...haha because they're going to show you. Every day is April Fools day for you lol

5 hours ago, dg_sailingfan said:

Me and RG have disagreed plenty over the years, but I'll wait while you give me a list of actual reporters writing more well-sourced sailing stories than Gladwell.. 

Aaaaaand...go.

• Like 2

RG is very good lists "don't need to be aired here." 

2 hours ago, MR.CLEAN said:

Me and RG have disagreed plenty over the years, but I'll wait while you give me a list of actual reporters writing more well-sourced sailing stories than Gladwell.. 

Aaaaaand...go.

Clean,

I'm afraid but when someone like him openly posted an Article during the run up to AC 35 that then Land Rover BAR during Practice Racing crashed into ETNZ on purpose to take the Kiwis out of the running that Journalist cannot to be considered serious.

• Downvote 1

2 hours ago, NeedAClew said:

Really? Trolls need to be called for their sources and changing, baseless conclusions.

And a4e is uber troll.

40 minutes ago, dg_sailingfan said:

Clean,

I'm afraid but when someone like him openly posted an Article during the run up to AC 35 that then Land Rover BAR during Practice Racing crashed into ETNZ on purpose to take the Kiwis out of the running that Journalist cannot to be considered serious.

Yet here you are spouting conspiracy theories about how ETNZ lied to everyone about the 3 Challengers simply to close the deal for government funding. I guess nothing you say can be considered serious either. 

7 minutes ago, Forourselves said:

Yet here you are spouting conspiracy theories about how ETNZ lied to everyone about the 3 Challengers simply to close the deal for government funding. I guess nothing you say can be considered serious either. 

The Point is that Gladwell is indeed very much a Spokesperson for ETNZ, a real partisan hack. His Writings are 98% of the time beneficial to ETNZ, very biased and unobjective. He simply isn't a good Journalist.

Now compare that to Christopher Clarey of the New York Times, a very objective, non-partisan, thoughtful Journo who has written a lot of good Articles about the AC as well. He is also very trustworthy and Gladwell isn't.

• Downvote 1

5 hours ago, NeedAClew said:

I was attempting a comment about that quoted line in the Gladwell article and overreached in abstraction.  

Either you mention issues and say what they are, or don't mention issues. You don't say there are issues "that don't need to be aired here." Just my opinion.   

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NeedAClew said:

I was attempting a comment about that quoted line in the Gladwell article and overreached in abstraction.  

Either you mention issues and say what they are, or don't mention issues. You don't say there are issues "that don't need to be aired here." Just my opinion.   

Yes, really strange that he mentioned that little abstraction which leads me to believe that he doesn't know at all about the Altus Challenge state of things.

• Downvote 1

4 hours ago, dg_sailingfan said:

@NeedAClew,

This is a Must-Read Article

https://www.sailingscuttlebutt.com/2019/04/03/americas-cup-entries-payments-and-promises/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

It really looks like Deadlines don't matter these Days at all.

I did not care read it but if I correctly understand the last decision teams don't need to pay before racing.

So that leaves the door open to teams who have no chance to win but allows GD to get the NZ gov money with teams that will probably never compete but are real on the paper and for the idiot of the village on this forum.

1 hour ago, Tornado-Cat said:

I did not care read it but if I correctly understand the last decision teams don't need to pay before racing.

So that leaves the door open to teams who have no chance to win but allows GD to get the NZ gov money with teams that will probably never compete but are real on the paper and for the idiot of the village on this forum.

It's worth reading - that article is relatively unbiased in its account of the facts as they have played out... namely...

...that the wording of the terms of entry provided those late teams with an interpretation that enabled them to defer payment... (probably accidental error by ETNZ/CoR)

... that the arbitration panel (not ETNZ) found in favour of those late entries' interpretation...

... that ETNZ/CoR agreed to rewrite rules provide a clearer schedule (but not any easier to avoid payment - that had already been decided by arbitration as above)... 

It is actually ACEL (America’s Cup Event Limited) not ETNZ that is the recipient of govt funding that is based on projected number of teams competing - this was decided before these late teams entered. I doubt them bailing will impact available funding as that had already been allocated in advance, but it may impact budget needed (although I doubt it, if there is still money in the tin it will be spent right?). Sure it's not a great look, but there is no fiscal incentive for ACEL to pretend that these teams are any more real than they are (or aren't).

It's true that ETNZ itself stands to lose design package money if any team that was going to buy one did eventually bail. But again ETNZ has no incentive to pretend these teams will buy a design package if they are unlikely to - quite the opposite, prudence will tell you not to count your chickens until they hatch. ETNZ is not depending on this money, and pretending that someone will pay you won't effect whether or not they will in fact turn up with the cash. No one is this naive, let alone an AC team.

Given the above, Occam's razor indicates that perhaps it's just simply reasonable and in good faith to ensure that seeing that arbitration has already legitimised their entries to this stage, that ETNZ not seek to actively block, discourage and undermine these entrants - that behaviour would be even more viciously received by the AC fraternity than ETNZ simply stating these challengers are valid until they are not...

2 hours ago, Tornado-Cat said:

They needed to provide at least 3 challengers in order to close the deal for Govt money. They've done that with or without the other 3. 

6 hours ago, dg_sailingfan said:

@NeedAClew,

This is a Must-Read Article

https://www.sailingscuttlebutt.com/2019/04/03/americas-cup-entries-payments-and-promises/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

It really looks like Deadlines don't matter these Days at all.

Did they ever really matter? or are you just pretending they have mattered?

deadlines are subject to mutual consent between CoR and Defender, and disputes are decided by the independent Arbitration panel and thats exactly whats happened.

2 minutes ago, Forourselves said:

Did they ever really matter? or are you just pretending they have mattered?

deadlines are subject to mutual consent between CoR and Defender, and disputes are decided by the independent Arbitration panel and thats exactly whats happened.

If Deadlines don't matter at all then they shouldn't have put them in the first place. This is all Desperation by ETNZ/LR so they can claim that they have more Challengers than BDA.

• Downvote 1

3 minutes ago, dg_sailingfan said:

If Deadlines don't matter at all then they shouldn't have put them in the first place. This is all Desperation by ETNZ/LR so they can claim that they have more Challengers than BDA.

Because deadlines are a means to control budgets and scheduling. They are not set in stone, as they are subject to the protocol, which again, is subject to mutual agreement as per the DoG. Thats the way it is. Thats the way its always been. Bermuda is the past. I doubt ETNZ is worried about anything that happened in Bermuda. The focus is the future and the Cup in Auckland. Even with 3 challengers it would still be better than Bermuda.

• Downvote 1

9 hours ago, NeedAClew said:

Ok... But I quoted you?

Point is a4e calling Gladwell a hack is pretty comical coming from a serial sock puppet troll. That's what clean's point was, and I thought the troll should front rather than "don't need to be aired". Perhaps I'm not understanding you...could be cause the troll is on Iggy and my reading enjoyment is heightened by about 30%.

8 hours ago, barfy said:

Ok... But I quoted you?

Point is a4e calling Gladwell a hack is pretty comical coming from a serial sock puppet troll. That's what clean's point was, and I thought the troll should front rather than "don't need to be aired". Perhaps I'm not understanding you...could be cause the troll is on Iggy and my reading enjoyment is heightened by about 30%.

Sorry misunderstood you.

• Like 1