Barnyb

AC36 Auckland NZ

Recommended Posts

^And twisting/torsion with a foil under load attached at the end 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, rh2600 said:

Raw meat for the trolls...

1:15 - Typical bloody engineers.  As soon as it doesn't work it's the architect's fault.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Earl Boebert said:

And now on to the hard part: shock, vibration, and fatigue testing.

Cheers,

Earl

 

And that's just us!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's time for ETNZ to get a reality check from their so-called "Super Kiwi Media"

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/article.cfm?c_id=4&objectid=12245637

https://www.newshub.co.nz/home/sport/2019/07/america-s-cup-2021-dutch-sail-withdraws-challenge-for-auckland.html

A User commenting on the AC Facebook Page summed it up perfectly:

"Can we all just agree that the Kiwis made the same mistake that Larry did? There is a fundamental incompatibility between going with a brand new radical boat design and having lots of competitors. You can't have both because a brand new radical boat design costs a LOT of MONEY and TIME. Only a few club/syndicates will be able to come up with the necessary cash and design/development talent to put together a campaign and a brand new radical design that practically no one besides the defender and perhaps their chosen challenger has any real experience with. Even with promised help with base designs, its a HUGE ask to come up with an entirely new design paradigm."

I think this person nailed it: You can't have both. A radical new Design and lots of Challengers.

This AC36 in Auckland was deemed to be very successful by ETNZ CEO Grant Dalton. Now they need to be careful it doesn't become a clusterfuck.

  • Like 1
  • Downvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I say again, the Prada Cup needs competitors.

The AC is between the defender and a challenger so it is a great success already because we will see innovation and progress in sailing design.

Thanks ETNZ ! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

KEY RACE MANAGEMENT, CLASS RULE AND MEASUREMENT PERSONNEL ANNOUNCED FOR THE 36th AMERICA’S CUP PRESENTED BY PRADA

The Defender and Challenger of Record organizations for the America’s Cup presented by Prada have announced the specialist race management, rules and measurement teams chosen for the competition’s 36th edition taking place in Auckland, New Zealand in 2021.

Race Management

America's Cup stalwart John Craig (CAN) has been named as Regatta Director and will be in ultimate charge of all racing activity, including in 2020 the America's Cup World Series events, and the Prada Cup Challenger Selection Series and the America's Cup Match in 2021.

Highly experienced rules expert Richard Slater (AUS) has been chosen as Chief Umpire and as such oversees a hand-picked team of umpires responsible for ensuring fair racing at all America's Cup events.

AC75 Class Rule Committee 

A dedicated committee of rules experts has been introduced for this latest edition of the America’s Cup to provide the competing teams with official interpretations on the AC75 Class Rule as they each design and build their revolutionary foiling monohull yachts.

The Rules Committee is made up of internationally-renowned sailing experts Stan Honey (USA), Carlos de Beltràn (ESP) and Hasso Hoffmeister (GER) and has already been active for the last year responding to the teams’ requests for specific clarification of the Class Rule.

Measurement Committee

The Measurement Committee is responsible for conducting all measurement-related checks of the teams’ AC75 foiling monohull yachts – which are expected to be launched over the coming months – and for issuing AC75 Class certificates.  

Shaun Ritson (AUS) is the coordinator of the Measurement Committee, with the supporting expertise of Daniel Jowett (NZL) and David McCollough (USA).

Commenting on the appointments, Russell Green, rules and legal advisor for the Defender Emirates Team New Zealand, was instrumental in bringing the race officials together for the 36th America’s Cup.

“We are fortunate to have secured the services of such well respected international officials with established reputations at the top level of our sport including previous experience in the America’s Cup,” Green commented.

Matteo Plazzi – Technical Director at the Challenger of Record America's Cup 36 – the organisation responsible for running the Prada Cup Challenger Selection Series and the America’s Cup World Series – said each of the appointees: “brought a wealth of experience and integrity to the 36th edition of the America’s Cup”.

“Their appointments reinforce our commitment as Challenger of Record to fair competition and exceptional racing for the Challenging teams in the events we are organising in 2020 and 2021, as well as in the America’s Cup Match,” Plazzi said.

@dg_sailingfan but I thought you said Stan Honey wouldn't be involved in any way? Wrong again...

Got "base sites" mixed up with Base construction

Can't figure out whether he trusts Richard Gladwell or not

Dickhead!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Forourselves said:

KEY RACE MANAGEMENT, CLASS RULE AND MEASUREMENT PERSONNEL ANNOUNCED FOR THE 36th AMERICA’S CUP PRESENTED BY PRADA

The Defender and Challenger of Record organizations for the America’s Cup presented by Prada have announced the specialist race management, rules and measurement teams chosen for the competition’s 36th edition taking place in Auckland, New Zealand in 2021.

Race Management

America's Cup stalwart John Craig (CAN) has been named as Regatta Director and will be in ultimate charge of all racing activity, including in 2020 the America's Cup World Series events, and the Prada Cup Challenger Selection Series and the America's Cup Match in 2021.

Highly experienced rules expert Richard Slater (AUS) has been chosen as Chief Umpire and as such oversees a hand-picked team of umpires responsible for ensuring fair racing at all America's Cup events.

AC75 Class Rule Committee 

A dedicated committee of rules experts has been introduced for this latest edition of the America’s Cup to provide the competing teams with official interpretations on the AC75 Class Rule as they each design and build their revolutionary foiling monohull yachts.

The Rules Committee is made up of internationally-renowned sailing experts Stan Honey (USA), Carlos de Beltràn (ESP) and Hasso Hoffmeister (GER) and has already been active for the last year responding to the teams’ requests for specific clarification of the Class Rule.

Measurement Committee

The Measurement Committee is responsible for conducting all measurement-related checks of the teams’ AC75 foiling monohull yachts – which are expected to be launched over the coming months – and for issuing AC75 Class certificates.  

Shaun Ritson (AUS) is the coordinator of the Measurement Committee, with the supporting expertise of Daniel Jowett (NZL) and David McCollough (USA).

Commenting on the appointments, Russell Green, rules and legal advisor for the Defender Emirates Team New Zealand, was instrumental in bringing the race officials together for the 36th America’s Cup.

“We are fortunate to have secured the services of such well respected international officials with established reputations at the top level of our sport including previous experience in the America’s Cup,” Green commented.

Matteo Plazzi – Technical Director at the Challenger of Record America's Cup 36 – the organisation responsible for running the Prada Cup Challenger Selection Series and the America’s Cup World Series – said each of the appointees: “brought a wealth of experience and integrity to the 36th edition of the America’s Cup”.

“Their appointments reinforce our commitment as Challenger of Record to fair competition and exceptional racing for the Challenging teams in the events we are organising in 2020 and 2021, as well as in the America’s Cup Match,” Plazzi said.

@dg_sailingfan but I thought you said Stan Honey wouldn't be involved in any way? Wrong again...

Got "base sites" mixed up with Base construction

Can't figure out whether he trusts Richard Gladwell or not

Dickhead!

 

LOL,

Honey is in a Secondary Role you snarky little whiner.

  • Downvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, dg_sailingfan said:

LOL,

Honey is in a Secondary Role you snarky little whiner.

Haha don't bite my head off because you fucked up (again) he's part of the rules committee! I'd say the rules are pretty important don't you think? You said he wouldn't be involved in any way lol hows about that Richard Gladwell piece? You coming to the Dark side and trusting Gladwell now huh? What about those Base sites? Oh my...

 

  • Like 2
  • Downvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Clever move to get Stan Honey involved in a relatively easy role, almost like an honorary appointment. That way he can enjoy a less demanding and less stressful involvement, and get his expenses paid.

The Kiwis on the other hand get his expert advice on many other subjects for free, over a few beers... Don't forget they are all mates who either sailed together or against each other, and who respect each other equally.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Forourselves said:

...

The Rules Committee is made up of internationally-renowned sailing experts Stan Honey (USA)... has already been active for the last year responding to the teams’ requests for specific clarification of the Class Rule.

...

@dg_sailingfan but I thought you said Stan Honey wouldn't be involved in any way? Wrong again...

 

source.gif

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This seems like a very late appointment.

We're already a month+ past the date the teams were allowed to launch boats & there hasn't been a Rules or Measurement committee to guide things? :huh:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Forourselves said:

announced the specialist race management, rules and measurement teams chosen for the competition’s 36th edition taking place in Auckland, New Zealand in 2021.

Good to see they've ditched Iain Murray.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, hoom said:

This seems like a very late appointment.

We're already a month+ past the date the teams were allowed to launch boats & there hasn't been a Rules or Measurement committee to guide things? :huh:

To be fair the moment the foil arm broke they probably knew they had a few extra weeks up their sleeve.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, hoom said:

This seems like a very late appointment.

We're already a month+ past the date the teams were allowed to launch boats & there hasn't been a Rules or Measurement committee to guide things? :huh:

To quote the article

The Rules Committee ... has already been active for the last year responding to the teams’ requests for specificclarification of the Class Rule.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, rh3000 said:

To quote the article

The Rules Committee ... has already been active for the last year responding to the teams’ requests for specificclarification of the Class Rule.

Question: we haven't seen any requests for interpretation like last cycle, they were the source of interesting discussion; @nav would post them up. Are they around, or not public?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/14/2019 at 1:08 PM, barfy said:

Understanding is weak in this one Luke..the new arms will be I beam shaped, the boats will turtle, never foil, we're all gonna die.

  Ah ah, spite nav is too busy spitting on Sailgp. rh300 busy spending his time on his ado gifs (he must not be very busy) and clarkey trying to understand the posts he answers before understanding.

It should be on the notice board, it's not. They only have the prot, the rules, the official notices (AC venue) and the 4 decisions of the arbitration panel.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Tornado-Cat said:

  Ah ah, spite nav is too busy spitting on Sailgp. rh300 busy spending his time on his ado gifs (he must not be very busy) and clarkey trying to understand the posts he answers before understanding.

It should be on the notice board, it's not. They only have the prot, the rules, the official notices (AC venue) and the 4 decisions of the arbitration panel.

Oh I enjoy spending time here because I still enjoy the AC, am a fan of a participating team, and am excited about the next cycle... that's what this forum is for, the other 7.5 billion people who don't care for AC aren't here either see?

You on the other-hand appear to be the one with nothing better to do than sit in a forum of a sporting event you openly declare you have no interest in (to put it nicely), have no team to support, and even dislike the class of boat.

So I guess you are just truly bored with your life? Can I suggest some other similar activities to pass the time instead:

  • Turn up to a EPL match and sit in the crowd scoffing at everyone telling them that their teams are both shit and the whole thing is pretty lame.
  • Wait outside funerals of strangers and tell the departing friends that their dearly departed probably wasn't as cool as they think.
  • Go to a strip club and moan to the staff that naked bodies are ugly.
  • Go see the latest blockbuster movie and loudly complain about each scene as you watch.
  • Have a cheeseburger happy meal at McDonalds and send it back because it comes with cheese.

There is an infinite list of things you don't enjoy or like that you can dwell on, but it's a pretty shit way to spend what precious time you have on the planet.

Why not go and do something you enjoy rather than trying to infect others who happen to like things you don't with your constant misery and complaints?

Chin up!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Tornado-Cat said:

  Ah ah, spite nav is too busy spitting on Sailgp. rh300 busy spending his time on his ado gifs (he must not be very busy) and clarkey trying to understand the posts he answers before understanding.

It should be on the notice board, it's not. They only have the prot, the rules, the official notices (AC venue) and the 4 decisions of the arbitration panel.

TC is feeling a little lonely, as his little buddy seems to be MIA lol

  • Like 1
  • Downvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Forourselves said:

TC is feeling a little lonely, as his little buddy seems to be MIA lol

Oh I'm here! I've just been too busy browsing gunts on reddit... it's one of the lat remaining porn words my parents are yet to block!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Tornado-Cat said:
On 4/14/2019 at 10:08 AM, barfy said:

Understanding is weak in this one Luke..the new arms will be I beam shaped, the boats will turtle, never foil, we're all gonna die.

  Ah ah, spite nav is too busy spitting on Sailgp. rh300 busy spending his time on his ado gifs (he must not be very busy) and clarkey trying to understand the posts he answers before understanding.

It should be on the notice board, it's not. They only have the prot, the rules, the official notices (AC venue) and the 4 decisions of the arbitration panel.

One of my better missives, I agree. Thx for pulling that up :D

Truly, now that it's been published that interpretations have been ongoing for a year...Let's See The Meat!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, barfy said:

Question: we haven't seen any requests for interpretation like last cycle, they were the source of interesting discussion; @nav would post them up. Are they around, or not public?

Good question, enquiring minds seek answers

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, rh3000 said:

Oh I enjoy spending time here because I still enjoy the AC, am a fan of a participating team, and am excited about the next cycle... that's what this forum is for, the other 7.5 billion people who don't care for AC aren't here either see?

You on the other-hand appear to be the one with nothing better to do than sit in a forum of a sporting event you openly declare you have no interest in (to put it nicely), have no team to support, and even dislike the class of boat.

So I guess you are just truly bored with your life? Can I suggest some other similar activities to pass the time instead:

  • Turn up to a EPL match and sit in the crowd scoffing at everyone telling them that their teams are both shit and the whole thing is pretty lame.
  • Wait outside funerals of strangers and tell the departing friends that their dearly departed probably wasn't as cool as they think.
  • Go to a strip club and moan to the staff that naked bodies are ugly.
  • Go see the latest blockbuster movie and loudly complain about each scene as you watch.
  • Have a cheeseburger happy meal at McDonalds and send it back because it comes with cheese.

There is an infinite list of things you don't enjoy or like that you can dwell on, but it's a pretty shit way to spend what precious time you have on the planet.

Why not go and do something you enjoy rather than trying to infect others who happen to like things you don't with your constant misery and complaints?

Chin up!

Mate, that's what I do and enjoy, it's even better when you leave a beach on a reach or downwing, rudders up and a big swell, just with the jib and main to adjust. Even better if you do it alone.

Keep on entertaining us with your ado gifs and your prose on SA and the official America's cup site. :D

FlyTornado3.JPG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, hoom said:

Good question, enquiring minds seek answers

The syndicates won't be revealing their hands yet with technical questions which can alert their competition to their developmental direction, until their first boats have been launched. I would expect a deluge of PI's once they've had a chance at real-world experience with their boats.

ETNZ, otoh, will continue to evolve their control systems under their simulation package which served them so well pre-Bermuda.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Horn Rock said:

Cheering for the Ozzies tonight at Edgbaston.

Wish I could say the same mate, but I'm cheering for the poms! ;-)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, rh3000 said:

Wish I could say the same mate, but I'm cheering for the poms! ;-)

Oz off to a bad start. Was an amazing game last night. Dare to dream we could go all the way......

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now