Barnyb

AC36 Auckland NZ

4 hours ago, weta27 said:

Probably right Priscilla - he claimed that moving the cam to include Luna Rossa's base would cut out too much of the Wynyard/Viaduct area. 

Fair enough if there was anything worth watching in the Wynyard/Viaduct, but almost half the current view is taken up by a hotel and moored yachts that rarely move.

My quiet enquiry was fobbed off too. I had suggested rotating the camera to the right by an amount equivalent to about 30% of the screen view. Didn't even attempt to suggest inclusion of CoR  base, though I guess I should have.

This is the response I got: "Thanks for the email enquiry, it’s great to see the webcams getting good use and such interest in Americas Cup and the bases. Unfortunately the webcam is unable to be moved as it’s optimally placed to overlook Wynyard Quarter and Viaduct Marina. It’s an added bonus that Team New Zealand, Ineos UK and the Stars & Stripes team bases are in view. If the camera was moved to bring Luna Rosa base into frame, it would be pointing out towards the Waitemata Harbour and the Viaduct Marina would no longer be captured."

Translated:

"Viaduct Harbour kicked in cash to be included!"  or ... 

"Politics dictate we include some Viaduct Harbour docks!" or ...

"Can't be bothered. Besides. we've got bigger fish to fry!" ...

Any way you slice it, hardly a  satisfactory reply.  

I interpret it as an invitation to try harder.

From now until the end of the match the world deserves a  prime view that starts at North Wharf and the drawbridge and sweeps around to the Luna Rossa base and takes in the tip of Princes Wharf. Forget those rizon or North Shore.  Harbour Bridge is not important. Angled down to show more water and Wynyard Basin foreground.

Use or relocate another camera.  We know the Panaku budget is critically stressed but, c'mon. It's Panuku's role to enhance and promote the area and its activities.

• Like 2

Panuku

“To the people of the land and those residing under the sacred volcanic mountains of Auckland, greetings to you all. Let us all work together to fulfil our dreams so that we may all prosper in this beautiful city”.
Panuku means to ‘move on’ or ‘move forward’ and the name conveys the concept of dynamism of building towards excellence. It has been likened to the motion of a Waka that requires skill to navigate, and team work to propel.

As the eyes of the world turn towards Auckland for the America’s Cup and APEC in 2020, Panuku is working to ensure that our waterfront is not just ready to hold the world’s best- known yacht race, but that it is also ‘Instagram ready’ for Auckland’s beautiful waterfront to be shared worldwide. Panuku works to ensure that these major events provide enduring benefits to Aucklanders.

Yeah right.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Priscilla said:

Panuku

“To the people of the land and those residing under the sacred volcanic mountains of Auckland, greetings to you all. Let us all work together to fulfil our dreams so that we may all prosper in this beautiful city”.
Panuku means to ‘move on’ or ‘move forward’ and the name conveys the concept of dynamism of building towards excellence. It has been likened to the motion of a Waka that requires skill to navigate, and team work to propel.

As the eyes of the world turn towards Auckland for the America’s Cup and APEC in 2020, Panuku is working to ensure that our waterfront is not just ready to hold the world’s best- known yacht race, but that it is also ‘Instagram ready’ for Auckland’s beautiful waterfront to be shared worldwide. Panuku works to ensure that these major events provide enduring benefits to Aucklanders.

Yeah right.

Great stuff, great find.

Is Panuku a bit battle weary before the main bout has even started!

21 hours ago, KiwiJoker said:

Translated:

"Viaduct Harbour kicked in cash to be included!"  or ... 

"Politics dictate we include some Viaduct Harbour docks!" or ...

"Can't be bothered. Besides. we've got bigger fish to fry!" ...

Any way you slice it, hardly a  satisfactory reply.  

I interpret it as an invitation to try harder.

i interpret as we haven't got the brains to work out that spending 50$ on a wider angle camera solves all and gives a better all round view

26 minutes ago, phill_nz said:

i interpret as we haven't got the brains to work out that spending 50$ on a wider angle camera solves all and gives a better all round view

The Auckland ratepayer never received any explanation as to the sudden exit of Panuku CEO Roger MacDonald.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/117082902/panuku-ceo-roger-macdonald-resigns-after-mysterious-leave

So, if we could come up with a perfect location/view where would it be?

No need to rely on local government to fix shit, theres bound to be enough connected JAFAs on board here to make it happen. 

Could be some sponsorship $ well spent. . 

top 3 floors of the pwc building all have walk around outdoor platforms

just need to tap into a lighting circuit for the power then screw on a pan-able outdoor web cam with preferably 802.11ac ( for the speed at range )

then someone within range to broadcast it

requirements

4 small dynabolts

web cam

cordless drill, masonry and steel bits suitable size for the dynabolts

screwdrivers, wire cutters, suitable length of wire, 12v transformer ( el chepo wall plug type is best )  and wire quick connectors

white coat and clipboard

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, kenergy said:

So, if we could come up with a perfect location/view where would it be?

No need to rely on local government to fix shit, theres bound to be enough connected JAFAs on board here to make it happen. 

Could be some sponsorship $ well spent. . 

Here’s the deal.

I will provide the boat Weta will provide the footage and wear the bikinis and you the SA AC fans will provide the funds for fuel and lunch by way of being patreons .

We will provide drone and raw footage but vicarious body shots of bits and pieces will be available to those who only purchase a premium gold  package.

8 weeks of trialing all 4 teams Xmas event Prada Cup and the main event up close unbiased commentary what’s not to like .

• Like 2

3 hours ago, phill_nz said:

just need to tap into a lighting circuit for the power then screw on a pan-able outdoor web cam with preferably 802.11ac ( for the speed at range )

requirements

4 small dynabolts

web cam

screwdrivers, wire cutters, suitable length of wire, 12v transformer ( el chepo wall plug type is best )  and wire quick connectors

white coat and clipboard

Sounds like a true Kiwi endeavor. 

33 minutes ago, Rennmaus said:

Sounds like a true Kiwi endeavor. 

You forgot the Number 8 wire

• Like 1

7 hours ago, enigmatically2 said:

Hmm, who on here counts as unbiased?

Should read “silent”unbiased commentary meaning none.

8 hours ago, Priscilla said:

Here’s the deal.

I will provide the boat Weta will provide the footage and wear the bikinis and you the SA AC fans will provide the funds for fuel and lunch by way of being patreons .

We will provide drone and raw footage but vicarious body shots of bits and pieces will be available to those who only purchase a premium gold  package.

8 weeks of trialing all 4 teams Xmas event Prada Cup and the main event up close unbiased commentary what’s not to like .

I'm in where is the bk acct?

11 hours ago, phill_nz said:

requirements

4 small dynabolts

web cam

white coat and clipboard

Why not just ask at PWC, there must be someone on one of those floors with an interest in Cup stuff that could get that happening.

1 hour ago, Mitre cut said:

Why not just ask at PWC, there must be someone on one of those floors with an interest in Cup stuff that could get that happening.

How about the Maritime Museum - they'd have a dead-on shot of ETNZ base, and probably out far enough out to peak around the corner to the other bases?

cause at the top of pwc it can pan the whole harbour unobstructed ( almost ) to watch them when racing or training

36 will hopefully be what 34 never became, congrats Aucklanders, amazing to think one of these teams must end up last...

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Colomba said:

36 will hopefully be what 34 never became, congrats Aucklanders, amazing to think one of these teams must end up last...

Two will be second.

1 hour ago, Forourselves said:

This cup is going to be the best Cup since 2000.

Best Match was AC34 SF 2013 - by far!

• Like 1
  • Downvote 1

5 hours ago, Stingray~ said:

Wrong year.. hasn't happened yet. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Stingray~ said:

Yes, but not by Farr!

On 10/17/2020 at 9:14 AM, Mitre cut said:

Great if we can make something come of this,

Not knocking phil-nz's suggestion but what about checking with Snap-IT for the cost of a six-month temporary installation at PWC or somewhere suitable. 

I'll cheerfully kick in fifty bucks to a mini crowd-sourcing effort that encompasses all bases and the waterfront approaches.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, KiwiJoker said:

Great if we can make something come of this,

Not knocking phil-nz's suggestion but what about checking with Snap-IT for the cost of a six-month temporary installation at PWC or somewhere suitable. 

I'll cheerfully kick in fifty bucks to a mini crowd-sourcing effort that encompasses all bases and the waterfront approaches.

Careful there Kiwi you may want to factor in the GD ACE role in broadcast rights.
They will want to run a tight ship even in these social media times.

1 hour ago, Priscilla said:

Careful there Kiwi you may want to factor in the GD ACE role in broadcast rights.

I'm a supporter of broadcast rights.

What I am advocating is fixed web monitoring, something Snap IT already does.

Of course, if our noisy little band here spurns a chance at learning more about boat movements, then so be it.

2 hours ago, Priscilla said:

You don't know what ACE will do. I will bet they won't shut down mikenz and Airflow for the racing, like orifice did to my island home bda.

10 hours ago, Stingray~ said:

But only the first two weeks ;)

• Like 2

On 10/15/2020 at 10:35 PM, KiwiJoker said:

My quiet enquiry was fobbed off too. I had suggested rotating the camera to the right by an amount equivalent to about 30% of the screen view. Didn't even attempt to suggest inclusion of CoR  base, though I guess I should have.

You'll probably find that the camera is producing a long term timelapse.  Moving the camera would screw that up.

Calling Weta and others interested. Response from Waterfront Operations Manager to request for Viaduct Webcam field of view alteration:

"Thanks for the email enquiry, It is great to see the webcams getting good use. Unfortunately the webcam is unable to be moved as it’s optimally placed to overlook Wynyard Quarter and Viaduct Marina. It’s an added bonus that Team New Zealand, Ineos UK and the Stars & Stripes team bases are in view. If the camera was moved to bring Luna Rosa base into frame, it would be pointing out towards the Waitemata Harbour and the Viaduct Marina would no longer be captured. Once again, many thanks for the enquiry and hope you get to enjoy a great summer of sailing,

If anyone can get them to add a second cam, ideally one that can be controlled via a site but either way, add me to the list of those happy to contribute $50. 

It’s possible that among the reasons they have for keeping the current cam set up the way it is, is for some kind of contractual security reason. Let’s ask for a second, much improved, cam? 

5 hours ago, enigmatically2 said:

**** meaning that we'll get piss poor highlights everywhere else no doubt

Or live plus full replays whenever you want on AmericasCup.com/youtube.

Cup event organizers overhype benefits to garner venue payments?  Venue locales lose $$$ when rosy economic impact projections don't pan out?  We're shocked, shocked.

http://www.sailingscuttlebutt.com/2020/10/20/how-not-to-bid-for-the-americas-cup/

Nothing that hasn't been mentioned on SA but now there's a university study.

https://www.emerald.com/insight/content/doi/10.1108/MF-04-2020-0205/full/html

Let’s drop the BS and have some fun, share your predictions and motivations behind.

Prada Cup final will be ITA vs GBR, the US boat is, to my eyes, simply not extreme enough in comparison.

LR believes in their corner of the rule due to the lack of difference between B1 / 2 while Ineos are so extreme they’re either spot on or a total dog and I just won’t believe all that cash being spent wrong.

Or AM is simply much faster than both of them with the associated implications.

3 hours ago, enigmatically2 said:

I hope you are right rh

Well... perhaps only to those blind disciples of GD... ;-)

“Since we won the America’s Cup in Bermuda in 2017, we have always stated that our objective was to make this America’s Cup the most inclusive and accessible America’s Cup in its 170 year history. And a big part of this is making the broadcast of the events as widely available as possible via national free-to-air networks, supplemented by major pay channels, and on our website (www.americascup.com) and digital platforms,” said Grant Dalton, CEO of the Defender, Emirates Team New Zealand.

It's been spelled out time and time again and yet you almost appear to be hoping for disappointment?

https://www.americascup.com/how-to-watch

• Like 1

Looks like they don't like shifty breeze. Might have helped them in a pinch.

Course B is the only one to races in a s/n erly. That's kinda Fucked.

I agree regarding these two places being given the boot. They are often very shifty and wind variances can be frustrating.

Put course B out the front of Onetangi. 

1 hour ago, Varan said:

Yeah I wonder if ETNZ have gone thermonuclear in an attempt to get the harbour master to acquisce.. Ports of Auckland are irrelevant and should be told to wander back the dumpster of a reputation they already hold... 

i dont think it matters if the Harbour Master does acquiesce, it is the Arbitration Panels decision not the Harbour Master's final decision.

6 minutes ago, trt131 said:

i dont think it matters if the Harbour Master does acquiesce, it is the Arbitration Panels decision not the Harbour Master's final decision.

Pretty sure the end of the ruling notes this decision only applies in the current scenario.

2 hours ago, rh3000 said:

Pretty sure the end of the ruling notes this decision only applies in the current scenario.

Agreed.  As I read it the decision only applied to the limits imposed by the Harbourmaster. Seems to be ample opportunity for resolution with the acquiescence by the HM.  It's obvious the Mayor wants to get this sorted.

What's not clear to me is why the HM imposed the limits.

4 hours ago, KiwiJoker said:

What's not clear to me is why the HM imposed the limits.

Right. The HM had to know his decision would be hugely unpopular, so there must have been solid reasons. Reversing now would be tantamount to falling on his sword.

13 hours ago, Varan said:

If this is true then why the outrage from GD? 

RG: 

While the racing may take place largely out the sight of fans, the Arbitration Panel decision and Challengers' action appear to have handed the Defenders a massive home ground advantage in sailing waters. As well the Defender has access to several years of weather data for the area they have collected from past campaigns.

16 minutes ago, Stingray~ said:

If this is true then why the outrage from GD? 

RG: 

While the racing may take place largely out the sight of fans, the Arbitration Panel decision and Challengers' action appear to have handed the Defenders a massive home ground advantage in sailing waters. As well the Defender has access to several years of weather data for the area they have collected from past campaigns.

Less and less a fan of RG ... However, course A’s heavy chop should favor LR - remember that video in similar conditions off Cagliari? No other team has published anything similar

Course E should be about neutral - certainly less shifty and dependant on local knowledge than B and C