• Announcements

• Zapata

Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  
Barnyb

AC36 Auckland NZ

Looking back on the last time the Cup was defended in NZ I am left asking this important question:

Will the bullshit repecharge be resurrected?  

I hope not.  If you lose a best of whatever match against another team in the knock out round then you are done.  No more best of the losers round, please.  

WetHog  :ph34r:

Dennis Conner's bold America's Cup predictions for Auckland 2021

America's Cup great Dennis Conner predicts a "wonderful" regatta in Auckland sailed in foiling 60-foot sloops with no involvement from Larry Ellison and Sir Russell Coutts, but the United States being represented by another billionaire.

"I'm hearing rumours about a sloop, maybe in the 60-foot range that could foil. We know if it's light enough and well designed, it could foil," he said, suggesting a crew of 14 on a boat that could sail at around 18 knots into the wind and low-30s downwind.

"It will be a creative boat, you know that. There is no one more creative than they [Team New Zealand] are. They will think outside the box."

Conner believes "it's the end of the Coutts era" and that would likely mean no further involvement from Oracle billionaire Ellison.

"Coutts looked like he'd had enough of the Cup to me," Conner observed of the Kiwi legend's organisational efforts in Bermuda.

"He has made more money from sailing than anyone in the entire world. He will return to his homeland and be well received as one of the greatest America's Cup sailors ever.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/other-sports/95557636/Dennis-Conners-bold-Americas-Cup-predictions-for-Auckland-2021

10 hours ago, Barnyb said:

Dennis Conner's bold America's Cup predictions for Auckland 2021

America's Cup great Dennis Conner predicts a "wonderful" regatta in Auckland sailed in foiling 60-foot sloops with no involvement from Larry Ellison and Sir Russell Coutts, but the United States being represented by another billionaire.

"I'm hearing rumours about a sloop, maybe in the 60-foot range that could foil. We know if it's light enough and well designed, it could foil," he said, suggesting a crew of 14 on a boat that could sail at around 18 knots into the wind and low-30s downwind.

I heard the same rumors coming from Switzerland, seems like they have already been working on a foiling mono for a long time now. Possibily a big Quant ?

It could be a nice boat, but the performance could also be under those of a 5,5M Flying Phantom equipped with a new generation of foils.

Not sure GLS would have been happy to watch AC boats beaten by kids. Let's hope Peter Burling will be right when he hopes for even faster boats.

3 hours ago, Tornado-Cat said:

I heard the same rumors coming from Switzerland, seems like they have already been working on a foiling mono for a long time now. Possibily a big Quant ?

It could be a nice boat, but the performance could also be under those of a 5,5M Flying Phantom equipped with a new generation of foils.

Not sure GLS would have been happy to watch AC boats beaten by kids. Let's hope Peter Burling will be right when he hopes for even faster boats.

<broken record mode on>

Sigh - the AC is not a design competition for a new boat class. Nobody knows if a cross between a Garda lake racer and a "big Quant" would work and have exciting performance in the full 6-30 kts TWS range and going to windward. 

And only once you have proved that, can you start drawing up the box rule ...

On 8/8/2017 at 7:14 PM, Xlot said:

<broken record mode on>

Sigh - the AC is not a design competition for a new boat class. Nobody knows if a cross between a Garda lake racer and a "big Quant" would work and have exciting performance in the full 6-30 kts TWS range and going to windward. 

And only once you have proved that, can you start drawing up the box rule ...

Perhaps coincidentally, the Italian press is only giving planing monos and foiling multis as the alternative, no longer mentioning foiling monos as a possibility

2 hours ago, Xlot said:

Perhaps coincidentally, the Italian press is only giving planing monos and foiling multis as the alternative, no longer mentioning foiling monos as a possibility

Foiling monos have a few knots advantage downwind and, I think, about nothing upwind, so may not be the best solution for an AC. And I don't think they could make a 60 ft fly like a Quant.

So the choice will be between the old and the new world. I would give an advantage to the flying multi, perhaps a 60 ft cat foiler.

6 hours ago, WetHog said:

Whatever comes out with the protocol and boat rule I hope Louis Vuitton is dumped as primary sponsor.  

Its time to move on from fancy handbags.

I dunno, it wouldn't feel the same if we didn't have the LVC.

Of course, we would all get over it pretty quick once the racing started.

On 8/11/2017 at 0:29 AM, WetHog said:

Whatever comes out with the protocol and boat rule I hope Louis Vuitton is dumped as primary sponsor.  

Ungrateful wretch!  For three decades Louis Vuitton under the guidance of Bruno Trouble was a generous and motivating sponsor. Yeah, they profited from their sponsorship but thats what commercial entities are supposed to do. However it's not going too far to say that LV respected and burnished America's Cup tradition. 

Will they and Bruno be back? The ETNZ ties suggest they might. But LV was treated badly by Oracle in recent events and won't soon forget it.  We'll see.

On 8/11/2017 at 0:29 AM, WetHog said:

I's rather have LV than that Red Bull crap. 

6 hours ago, Legion of Modernrate Jack said:

Soo looking forwards to AC36

pic credit Christophe Favreau

acmono.jpg

Shame those voluminous billowing white clouds of cotton have turned into slick black carbon smudges these days. But still...

On 8/11/2017 at 10:29 PM, KiwiJoker said:

Ungrateful wretch!  For three decades Louis Vuitton under the guidance of Bruno Trouble was a generous and motivating sponsor. Yeah, they profited from their sponsorship but thats what commercial entities are supposed to do. However it's not going too far to say that LV respected and burnished America's Cup tradition. 

Will they and Bruno be back? The ETNZ ties suggest they might. But LV was treated badly by Oracle in recent events and won't soon forget it.  We'll see.

Sorry, but when I saw the boats with LV on their wings during the Cup final instead of the Cup image it really pissed me off.  Blame RC and Uncle Larry if you want but Louis Vuitton played a part in that as well.  

No fan of a Red Bull taking LV's place either, but after decades of sponsorship by LV its time to move on to something more suitable than high priced hand bags for a premier sailing event, IMO.

Looking at the photos above has finally cleared things up for me.  The cup needs to stand for something and have a eye to the future.  So the boats should be made from 99% renewable natural products.

Simple nationality rule: crew must speak the native language of the competitors nation during competition.  Artemis speaks Swedish, SoftBank-Japanese, etc. At the very least this would give the national teams an inherent relevance to their nations.

As I see it, Dalton wants first pick of all the Kiwis without having to bid against those from other nations who might pay more. So it is at once a cost control scheme and a way to ( if you believe that New Zealanders ( like vegans) are just better) to deny the competition access to the best.  This is only true if you are addicted to a certain flavor of Kool Aid.

Back in the dawn of time, when Hood sailcloth was 1000% better than anything else in the world, this was an absolute advantage that the NYYC surrendered only after the development of film sails and the advantage was worthless. Each team did their own development though. All major components, like winches, spars, and steering gear was all CIC.  As a fan of these things, I really liked the creativity and diversity this encouraged. It is easy to imagine that this was good for the marine industries in the various nations, and that the benefits outweighed the costs. I mean if the richest people ina particular nation are going to wank off into the Auld Mugg, isn't it better that they spend the money in their home country in the native sailing businesses? Kind of a service to the home boys.

SHC

1 hour ago, SCARECROW said:

Looking at the photos above has finally cleared things up for me.  The cup needs to stand for something and have a eye to the future.  So the boats should be made from 99% renewable natural products.

Sorry forgot a bit.  To ensure CIC all materials used must be grown in the country to be represented.

1 hour ago, Steve Clark said:

Simple nationality rule: crew must speak the native language of the competitors nation during competition.  Artemis speaks Swedish, SoftBank-Japanese, etc. At the very least this would give the national teams an inherent relevance to their nations.

SHC

I like the basic idea but would add that where multiple languages are spoken in any given country the language of reference should be one spoken first.  

2 hours ago, Steve Clark said:

As I see it, Dalton wants first pick of all the Kiwis without having to bid against those from other nations who might pay more. So it is at once a cost control scheme and a way to ( if you believe that New Zealanders ( like vegans) are just better) to deny the competition access to the best.  This is only true if you are addicted to a certain flavor of Kool Aid.

Back in the dawn of time, when Hood sailcloth was 1000% better than anything else in the world, this was an absolute advantage that the NYYC surrendered only after the development of film sails and the advantage was worthless. Each team did their own development though. All major components, like winches, spars, and steering gear was all CIC.  As a fan of these things, I really liked the creativity and diversity this encouraged. It is easy to imagine that this was good for the marine industries in the various nations, and that the benefits outweighed the costs. I mean if the richest people ina particular nation are going to wank off into the Auld Mugg, isn't it better that they spend the money in their home country in the native sailing businesses? Kind of a service to the home boys.

SHC

Good point. Then all JS has to say is, "Should I turn yet?" In his very best American of course. 

You did mean "official" language and not "indigenous" language didn't you?

46 minutes ago, Sailbydate said:

Good point. Then all JS has to say is, "Should I turn yet?" In his very best American of course. 

You did mean "official" language and not "indigenous" language didn't you?

HaHa .. what a distraction that would be .. New Zealand crews speaking Te Reo .. US crews Apache or Cherokee or one of the other 300 indigenous languages of Central America and so on.

15 minutes ago, Terry Hollis said:

HaHa .. what a distraction that would be .. New Zealand crews speaking Te Reo .. US crews Apache or Cherokee or one of the other 300 indigenous languages of Central America and so on.

Tickets to that please!

11 hours ago, Steve Clark said:

crew must speak the native language of the competitors nation during competition.

Would be a huge & unreasonable disadvantage to non-Anglo countries.

Is this an indication that foiling monos will be used in A36? ..

Team NZ boss Grant Dalton revels in Peter Burling v Blair Tuke round the world duel

"Team New Zealand's designer Guillaume Verdier is designing the foiling monohull that will feature in the 2019 Volvo, giving the Kiwis a feel for what looms.

"They will be really exciting boats. It just depends how everything goes, but we might look at it if we can afford it," Dalton said.

- Stuff"

https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/other-sports/95747827/team-nz-boss-grant-dalton-backs-volvo-ocean-race-to-improve-peter-burling-and-blair-tuke

15 hours ago, Tornado-Cat said:

TF speaks french on the boat.

And how many other countries with significant quantities of AC worthy talent speak French?

Under that rule UK, USA, (Canada,) Aus & NZ would get to share a big pool of great sailors, everyone else basically has to pick from their own domestic population.

4 hours ago, hoom said:

And how many other countries with significant quantities of AC worthy talent speak French?

Under that rule UK, USA, (Canada,) Aus & NZ would get to share a big pool of great sailors, everyone else basically has to pick from their own domestic population.

Sounds fair. ;)

6 hours ago, hoom said:

I understand your point, however I think the Italians and the Spanish, perhaps even Germans or Swedish could make interesting teams, at least with some training time. But the type of boat could have some influence, a mono would probably help them.

^ this is one place things run off the rails, picking (non-existent) teams you think might be 'interesting' (or teams who will vote 'correctly'.... as another example) and then writing rules that will encourage their entry/discourage others?

Bullshit to that.....

Sailing and sporting considerations first and last, Fremantle was fantastic for those reasons, who remembers the self promoted 'biggest, bestest, 'uge audience', blah, blah event with poor sailing conditions, dodgy rules and hardly any serious competitors?

Bruno Troublé speaks out on the America’s Cup

By Rob Peake

Bruno Troublé has spoken out about the 35th America’s Cup, criticising the 2017 event in Bermuda and the plans to run a the Cup on a two-year cycle as ‘vulgar’.

He celebrated the fact the the USA did not win the event again, saying victors New Zealand would now ‘fix it’, adding: “They know how to do it.”

http://www.classicboat.co.uk/news/bruno-trouble-speaks-americas-cup/

Anyone have the full cup tour dates? Only seen the ones down in Otago.

8 hours ago, Charlie P Mayer said:

I respect what Mr.Troublé has accomplished, very impressive, but perhaps he has not kept up as the world changed.

Not all progress is good.

1 hour ago, MischiefBDA said:

said the CEOs of Kodak, Pan Am, Woolworths, Blockbuster, General Motors, Borders and Polaroid. 

And as far as their shareholders were concerned, they were right.

On 14.08.2017 г. at 6:35 AM, Legion of Modernrate Jack said:

When looking at this and the Becken Sloop John B screensaver pic, you can always tell modern times by crew placement, no crew were allowed to mask a yachts lines by dangling legs overboard, in those glory years!

Well - this one seems even more 'avant-garde' - misiing only foils ;)

4Dominion.jpg

3 hours ago, Legion of Modernrate Jack said:

Sold, is there a solid wing sail version of this catamermono?

Now can be 'solid' wing - tomorrow "retractable', or helium-pumpable next day, or what-ever-designer-find :)
Funny thing is that most innovate ( historically ) class is Int 14 (many times 1st to implement/develop boat feature/gear), and now there is a chance AC/VOR/IMOCA mixture monster create the ulimate in/off shore version of the 60'ft  'swiss army knife' boat for sole/full crew - funny/curious to follow ...

12 hours ago, MischiefBDA said:

said the CEOs of Kodak, Pan Am, Woolworths, Blockbuster, General Motors, Borders and Polaroid. 

Progress also brought us nuclear weapons, chemical weapons, and a host of other stuff that I think most people would agree are not exactly shining examples of human achievement.  So, SBD is quite correct. NOT all progress is good because people are often too concerned about whether they can rather than whether they should.

11 hours ago, jaysper said:

Progress also brought us nuclear weapons, chemical weapons, and a host of other stuff that I think most people would agree are not exactly shining examples of human achievement.  So, SBD is quite correct. NOT all progress is good because people are often too concerned about whether they can rather than whether they should.

Comparing AC35 & catamarans to the development of nuclear & chemical weapons ... wow!
I'll leave you to it.

1 hour ago, MischiefBDA said:

Comparing AC35 & catamarans to the development of nuclear & chemical weapons ... wow!
I'll leave you to it.

You need to get out more and expand your horizons, newb.

19 hours ago, ~Stingray~ said:

36th America’s Cup New Zealand: the Challenges that face the new host nation this time around
http://www.yachtingworld.com/americas-cup/americas-cup-new-zealand-the-new-host-nation-is-a-long-way-from-big-international-audiences-109720

Thanks. I have considerable respect for Matt Sheahan but this piece is a "once-over-lightly' piece of puffery probably knocked out in ten or 15 minutes to fulfil a contractural obligation to Yachting World.  In his new role as Head of Performance Sailing for Sunset+Vine he probably doesn't have the time to do his chosen subject justice even though a deadline looms.  Nothing wrong with his recitation of the facts, even the current cost of housing in Auckland city.  Other than that, and the cost of getting here, I'd say that the cost of doing Cup business is is pretty damned competitive.

When Italy and NZ announce the Protocol and the buzz starts, look for some good insights and analysis from Matt. Hey has an incomparable string of friendships and contacts worldwide in the sailing game.

10 hours ago, KiwiJoker said:

Thanks. I have considerable respect for Matt Sheahan but this piece is a "once-over-lightly' piece of puffery probably knocked out in ten or 15 minutes to fulfil a contractural obligation to Yachting World.  In his new role as Head of Performance Sailing for Sunset+Vine he probably doesn't have the time to do his chosen subject justice even though a deadline looms.  Nothing wrong with his recitation of the facts, even the current cost of housing in Auckland city.  Other than that, and the cost of getting here, I'd say that the cost of doing Cup business is is pretty damned competitive.

When Italy and NZ announce the Protocol and the buzz starts, look for some good insights and analysis from Matt. Hey has an incomparable string of friendships and contacts worldwide in the sailing game.

Am looking forward to McFadden's insights on the subjects Matt S addressed there..

Lifting the skirts on America's Cup boat design - ace TNZ designer shows his stuff for ocean race

This is a peek at where the America's Cup may be heading.

Guillaume Verdier, the designer behind Team New Zealand's foiling success in Bermuda, has revealed his vision of a new 60-foot Volvo Ocean Race boat in Portugal.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/article.cfm?c_id=4&objectid=11910113

MGW5Q4XUNVEXRABRAXRJCYYIBY.jpg

The fact that Volvo is going for a separate class of foiling cats should be a clue that the monos aren't expected to be much good around a short inshore course.

They need long reaches with swells to surf on.

15 hours ago, hoom said:

The fact that Volvo is going for a separate class of foiling cats should be a clue that the monos aren't expected to be much good around a short inshore course.

They need long reaches with swells to surf on.

Is there anything out yet about the Volvo cats?

What? they are shipping another set of entirely different boats all around the world for the harbour races???

That's just odd...

Still it absolutely explains why Peter is there!

2 hours ago, Boybland said:

What? they are shipping another set of entirely different boats all around the world for the harbour races???

That's just odd...

Still it absolutely explains why Peter is there!

Not odd. Bloody rediculous! 

For the record the foiling cats are for the next one not the coming one.

But so are the foiling monos...

And I think its a jump the shark moment frankly.

The need for spectacular coverage should be met by catching more aerial footage of actual offshore racing rather than trying to make a silk purse out of a sows ear with inshore short course racing.

On 8/10/2017 at 10:29 PM, WetHog said:

I met all the LV guys and execs in the last AC in Auckland. The were wonderful supportive guys. You need money to make the successful. The Challengers cup sponsor helps with is in a big way. Helping with $'s for infrastructure and jobs for Auckland. Who would you like? Tooheys?

1986 Max Walker Tooheys Lite.jpg

2 hours ago, hoom said:

(Snip)

The need for spectacular coverage should be met by catching more aerial footage of actual offshore racing rather than trying to make a silk purse out of a sows ear with inshore short course racing.

+1 A ludicrous idea to include a different class for inshore races - and I said so at the time of MT's announcement. 

9 hours ago, hoom said:

For the record the foiling cats are for the next one not the coming one.

But so are the foiling monos...

Agree 100%.

The inshore races are great to entertain sponsors, media, guests in "real" race situations. In addition, they set the requirement for more "complete" sailors, especially while they contributed to the overall score. It is a bit like NASCAR on road courses, somehow out of place, with the need for a different skill set.
I like these inshore races, but only if sailed in the same boats as the legs. As a guest on board I want to experience the boat the crew is sailing on during the legs, and not some arbitrary beach cat that has nothing to do with the real event. Imagine NASCAR switching to Ford Fiesta Cup vehicles for the road courses. Ha!

(Hmmmm, I could get used to that ;))

25 minutes ago, Rennmaus said:

It is a bit like NASCAR on road courses

Its like the world rally champs mixing in the odd gocart race.

5 minutes ago, hoom said:

Misunderstanding?

The inport races up to this year are like NASCAR on road courses.
The new set-up from the next edition is "like the world rally champs mixing in the odd gocart race".

16 hours ago, Sailbydate said:

+1 A ludicrous idea to include a different class for inshore races - and I said so at the time of MT's announcement. 

Agreed up there with the AC45 in fleet racing being used as part of the qualifying and passing a point to the AC. 

Just an all round dumb idea.

9 hours ago, hoom said:

That's a great idea!   B)

^ Some strange takes on why they might put some restrictions on all teams' public face (the crew) only - (guessing)

- It will.... 'benefit TNZ and 'injure' Oracle.'  How? Why? And are they even competing?

- 'Stop other teams from having Kiwis in it' (sic) That is clearly not the aim and the 'rule' (as 'suggested') wouldn't keep Miniprio (or any of the others) out of a team or off the race boat anyway.

And one of the 'overseas Kiwi sailing professionals' said he understood the idea behind such a change, so....big deal - coin toss!

4 hours ago, nav said:

^ Some strange takes on why they might put some restrictions on all teams' public face (the crew) only - (guessing)

- It will.... 'benefit TNZ and 'injure' Oracle.'  How? Why? And are they even competing?

- 'Stop other teams from having Kiwis in it' (sic) That is clearly not the aim and the 'rule' (as 'suggested') wouldn't keep Miniprio (or any of the others) out of a team or off the race boat anyway.

And one of the 'overseas Kiwi sailing professionals' said he understood the idea behind such a change, so....big deal - coin toss!

Once again, Dalton said 80% nationality requirement would be ridiculous. So if we take 60% as an indicative figure, this would impose no real restriction because often 60% of the "sailors" on these boats are just meat.

4 hours ago, nav said:

I don't get this...how will it benefit Team NZ? Team NZ have always had a majority Kiwi crew anyway. They've maybe had 1 or 2 foreigners in key positions (Rod Davis, Bertrand Pace, Adam Beashel, Terry Hutchinson, Ben Ainslie and Glenn Ashby being examples, but for the most part, the make-up of the Team NZ crews has always been mostly Kiwi's, and that won't change with or without a Nationality rule, so for Team NZ, its business as usual. Secondly, Grant Dalton has stated publicly, It will not be a 100% nationality rule, so those sailors doing well abroad still have the opportunities they had before any nationality rule is introduced. Minoprio can sail for the French, if he chooses, Robertson can take his chances at Team NZ, or sail somewhere else if he is selected. What it does do, is limit the monopoly the billionaires have on the Americas Cup. If the billionaires want to compete in the Americas Cup. The "Win at all costs" mantra is gone, and is replaced with "represent your country" One of the biggest questions that should be asked is, in a country as big as America is, they cannot find any sailors who are good enough to compete at the Americas Cup? With as much history in the AC as America has, and the number of American sailors who are competing on the world stage, none of them are good enough to compete in the AC? They have to hire a team of Aussies, because there's no one? Really?

I also think, Oracle, and every other team thinking of hiring a team of foreigners, have no room to say national sailors just aren't good enough for the Americas Cup, as we saw with Oracle, the team of experienced Aussies they hired got destroyed by a team of Kiwi AC rookies the last cup.

I know it's off-topic but tonight I just watched an amazing documentary on the Smithsonian channel with regards to New Zealand. There was a brief interview onboard a NZ IAAC boat so it had some relative material . It showed many of the adventure related activities in NZ as well as interviews with some very unique people . If you haven't seen it is well worth the time to try and find it. 

IMG_3024.JPG

Just been to the Welcome Home for Pete and the boys in Tauranga. Fair to say Pete is a National hero now. The Cup was front and center. It looks smaller in real life than on TV. Pete said he flies back to Europe next Thursday, and he has a couple of commitments in Europe before joining the VOR in October. He definitely won't do the whole race, as it sounds like his commitment is to ETNZ and the next defense. He was very cagey about his future, although did say "The team who wins gets to set their own rules and host the next event. So we're just waiting for eveything to get organised for that, and then make a decision".

2 hours ago, maxmini said:

Please don't quote this ball sack. He/she/it is almost as big a fucktard as Spindio. 

On ‎8‎/‎27‎/‎2017 at 1:19 PM, maxmini said:

I know it's off-topic but tonight I just watched an amazing documentary on the Smithsonian channel with regards to New Zealand. There was a brief interview onboard a NZ IAAC boat so it had some relative material . It showed many of the adventure related activities in NZ as well as interviews with some very unique people . If you haven't seen it is well worth the time to try and find it. 

IMG_3024.JPG

here's an older vid of shit that gets done in NZ other than sailing........enjoy

https://www.nzonscreen.com/title/the-leading-edge-1987

17 hours ago, Alinghi4ever said:

America doesn't have the Sailing Talent.

These guys seem to be performing at a high level these days:

29oqwex.jpg

On 8/26/2017 at 3:31 PM, jaysper said:

Once again, Dalton said 80% nationality requirement would be ridiculous. So if we take 60% as an indicative figure, this would impose no real restriction because often 60% of the "sailors" on these boats are just meat.

As an American, even I am all for this. Even making life simple and saying at least 51% of crew has to have been a citizen since the start of the previous Cup cycle would work for me. 

5 hours ago, Monkey said:

As an American, even I am all for this. Even making life simple and saying at least 51% of crew has to have been a citizen since the start of the previous Cup cycle would work for me. 

I like the idea of a nationality clause in theory because I'd like to see mainly Kiwis on a Kiwi boat, mainly Japanese on a Japanese boat, etc....

But, I just don't see it as being practical.

On 25/08/2017 at 8:47 AM, Sailbydate said:

Don't forget that the Extreme 40s started life as the Volvo Extreme 40s and were used for in port racing during the Volvo Ocean race, though not for points.  If the funding is there to support it, then it absolutely makes sense to race a different boat round a harbour course than across an ocean.  After all, that's what the rest of the sailing world does.

http://sailing.org/news/9671.php#.WaVCg8iGOUk

fwiw

Latest vision includes reclamation of ferry basin but Goff warns proposal must compete for scarce cash

Auckland officials have finalised the latest plan for the city's waterfront that includes reclaiming part of the Ferry Basin for more public space and making the downtown area more pedestrian friendly.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=11914254

Took this pic while passing Waitangi on Saturday. Steady 15knt breeze and not a sail to be seen. I know it won't happen, but what a venue The Bay of Islands would be!

Waitangi Pano IMG_1794.jpg

1 hour ago, Sea Breeze 74 said:

Took this pic while passing Waitangi on Saturday. Steady 15knt breeze and not a sail to be seen. I know it won't happen, but what a venue The Bay of Islands would be!

Waitangi Pano IMG_1794.jpg

Well if Winston gets his way, it just might be closer than we think!

https://www.stuff.co.nz/business/96340312/winston-peters-promises-shift-of-auckland-port-to-northland?cid=facebook.post.96340312

This article is about the various events that Auckland faces and the city improvements that my arise .. very informative ..

AUCKLANDMade possible byheart_of_the_city_logo_red_sm.png

The (almost) super new plan for Auckland

By Simon Wilson | Auckland Editor
September 2, 2017

Sometimes, the Auckland Council does some very good things. The new plan for the city centre and waterfront, says Simon Wilson, could just be one of them. Although it does have a few problems…

.. snip ..

As for the America’s Cup itself, it’s possible they’ll propose an extension to Halsey Street Wharf, but nothing specific is yet definitely in the plan. The council won’t know what’s required (or even if Auckland will definitely host the event) for a couple of months. But they’ve set out eight criteria the Cup campaign will need to meet and set up a working group with Emirates Team New Zealand and government representatives. That group is led by council CEO Stephen Town and has just started to meet.

https://thespinoff.co.nz/auckland/02-09-2017/the-almost-super-new-plan-for-auckland/

IMG_2154.jpg

AT TOP MIDDLE, THE NEW FERRY BERTHS, WITH THE FERRIES AT RIGHT ANGLES TO THE WHARF. THE FERRY BUILDING IS AT THE HEAD OF THE NEW T-SHAPED PEDESTRIANISED PLAZA AREA THAT FORMS A NEW HEART OF THE CITY. (PICTURE SUPPLIED.)

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/article.cfm?c_id=4&objectid=11916092

Government pushes for big say in next America's Cup regatta

updated 21 minutes ago 3 Sep, 2017 7:17am
4 minutes to read

AWIKNEUH75CRPFYDIQLIQALQCE.jpg
Emirates Team New Zealand helmsman Peter Burling and skipper Glenn Ashby hold aloft the America's Cup. Photo/ Chris Cameron

The Government is seeking to have input in the design and shape of the 36th America's Cup.

Documents obtained by the Herald under the Official Information Act reveal the extent of strategising that took place in the days after Team New Zealand's stunning win in Bermuda to ensure the Government would have a seat at the bargaining table.

Team NZ are set to reveal their plans for the next event, likely to be held in early 2021, later this month. This follows negotiations with Luna Rossa, the challenger of record.

But it is not just the Italian team looking to hold sway over the plans for the regatta. A document circulated by the Ministry of Business, Innovation and Employment - the lead government agency for the next America's Cup - stressed the urgency in cosying up to the Kiwi syndicate.

Officials were concerned that decisions would progress quickly, and recommended "early engagement to allow Government to influence the decision making from both Team New Zealand and Auckland Council".

The interest appeared to extend to the type of boat class selected for the event, the timing of the regatta and broadcast arrangements. Minister of economic development Simon Bridges, who chairs the minister's group for the 36th America's Cup, noted in a paper to cabinet that the protocol has "the ability to impact the event significantly".

etc

1 hour ago, nav said:

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/article.cfm?c_id=4&objectid=11916092

Government pushes for big say in next America's Cup regatta

updated 21 minutes ago 3 Sep, 2017 7:17am
4 minutes to read

AWIKNEUH75CRPFYDIQLIQALQCE.jpg
Emirates Team New Zealand helmsman Peter Burling and skipper Glenn Ashby hold aloft the America's Cup. Photo/ Chris Cameron

The Government is seeking to have input in the design and shape of the 36th America's Cup.

Documents obtained by the Herald under the Official Information Act reveal the extent of strategising that took place in the days after Team New Zealand's stunning win in Bermuda to ensure the Government would have a seat at the bargaining table.

Team NZ are set to reveal their plans for the next event, likely to be held in early 2021, later this month. This follows negotiations with Luna Rossa, the challenger of record.

But it is not just the Italian team looking to hold sway over the plans for the regatta. A document circulated by the Ministry of Business, Innovation and Employment - the lead government agency for the next America's Cup - stressed the urgency in cosying up to the Kiwi syndicate.

Officials were concerned that decisions would progress quickly, and recommended "early engagement to allow Government to influence the decision making from both Team New Zealand and Auckland Council".

The interest appeared to extend to the type of boat class selected for the event, the timing of the regatta and broadcast arrangements. Minister of economic development Simon Bridges, who chairs the minister's group for the 36th America's Cup, noted in a paper to cabinet that the protocol has "the ability to impact the event significantly".

etc

Oh great. A new ACC by committee. Stick to building motorways and infrastructure ya muppets.

3 hours ago, Sailbydate said:

Oh great. A new ACC by committee. Stick to building motorways and infrastructure ya muppets.

Nothing new in this story - a revamp of what happened in 2013 with the injection of $5million. It also had terms and conditions attached which had to be met by ETNZ.

4 hours ago, Sailbydate said:

Did they provide support to etnz to win the cup?

No? Then they can fuck right off!

**ring ring**

-Hello, Minister for Sport.

~Look yeah its Grant here, just thought I'd call to let you know we've gone for 90' * 90' trimarans & we're expecting 8 teams, so over to you to build the bases buddy.

-Uhh you fuckin' wot m8?

~Yeah 8 teams, 90' * 90', dunno where the fuck you're gonna put them but you better get cracking, need those bases ready by 2021.

-Tha fuck...

~Yeah two boats per team too, all decided, contracts signed.

-Seriously, what the

**Click**

~beep beep beep

-fuck?! There is no room for that many boats that big, its gonna cost like a billion bucks to make bases for that.

~beep beep beep

On 8/17/2017 at 10:37 PM, Sailbydate said:

You need to get out more and expand your horizons, newb.

how dare you call an old sock a newb