• Announcements

• Zapata

Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  
Pooch692000

Affordable American Made Catmarans

Doing intial research on a daysailing catamaran that is made in USA that could hold up to 50 passengers for sunset sails and private charters that is also bluewater capable for delviery down south potentiall in winter.  The Seawind 1160 Resort http://www.seawindcats.com/models/seawind-day-charter-catamaran/  fits the bill as far a s size and specs (21'6:" s max for local travel lifts for haulouts)  The issue is it  made in vietnam and would only be able to get USCG certification for 12 passengers (or so I was told).  Would like the same layout or close to it, but made in the USA.  Any manufacturers who could build one to similar specs or other ones that fit the bill already.  Googleing, but not finding what I am looking for.

I know Schooner Creek Boat Works in Portland Oregon built one for off the beach in Honolulu.  Holokai Catamaran.

49 passengers is way WAY too many for an 11.6m cat. They'd be falling over each others feet. And USCG would never allow it.

Gold Coast has this market figured out. Kurt Hughes has also done a lot of USCG certified designs. Lots of these types of boats sail out of Key West for dinner/sunset cruises.

https://keywestsebago.com/pages/about-sebago-key-west-watersports

Their smallest cat, a Maine Cat 41 carries 20. Their larger boats are 60' and carry 65 & 68 passengers.

You get economies of scale if you can fill the boat. The crew size will stay roughly the same size (captain + 1-2 deckhand/servers).

A common regulatory break point for USCG passenger vessels is 49 passengers. The next breakpoint is 149 passengers.

http://www.searunner.com/index.php/uscg-vessel-certification

Vessels have to have their design and construction inspected and approved by USCG when carrying more than 6 passengers. It is not a trivial exercise. You may wish to do a bit more homework.

one word, Gold Coast.

I love Caribbean spirit. ( before she was painted red) 

I know Schooner Creek Boat Works in Portland Oregon built one for off the beach in Honolulu.

They have built a handful of large charter cats for use all over the Hawaiian Islands.

On 7/20/2017 at 11:19 AM, Pooch692000 said:

The Seawind 1160 Resort  fits the bill as far a s size and specs 

Call Dick at Maine Cat, I think some of his 41s have been used in charter.  He may know number of pax.  Already open bridgedeck, so pull up the eisenglas and you are good to go.  Would be surprised if you didn't need something much bigger for 50 though.  

I sprayed my beer on my keyboard when I saw "affordable" and "american" used in the same sentence, but Zonker is right - Gold Coast in St. Croix pretty much has the high-passenger count market sewn up, and Kurt Hughes designs 'em right for that market.

Just as an aside, did anyone else see the Cruise Ship Wars article in The Onion? I nearly died laughing. My Mom, a very retired travel agent, lost it over the "exclusion limit" on the "private island" - it's well known in the industry they're shared by the cruise lines, but there'll be Hell to pay if a Carnival cup washes up on shore on a Holland America day ;-) 

They did miss one part - *no* one messes with Disney. Ever. They have the "Pirates"franchise, after all. And what Mickey wants, Mickey gets.

shelling-royal-caribbeans-ms-allure-sinks-carnival-56448

11 hours ago, rattus32 said:

I sprayed my beer on my keyboard when I saw "affordable" and "american" used in the same sentence, but Zonker is right - Gold Coast in St. Croix pretty much has the high-passenger count market sewn up, and Kurt Hughes designs 'em right for that market.

Just as an aside, did anyone else see the Cruise Ship Wars article in The Onion? I nearly died laughing. My Mom, a very retired travel agent, lost it over the "exclusion limit" on the "private island" - it's well known in the industry they're shared by the cruise lines, but there'll be Hell to pay if a Carnival cup washes up on shore on a Holland America day ;-) 

They did miss one part - *no* one messes with Disney. Ever. They have the "Pirates"franchise, after all. And what Mickey wants, Mickey gets.

shelling-royal-caribbeans-ms-allure-sinks-carnival-56448

Hey Minnie!  Heh heh.  Heh Heh...

6 hours ago, Tomfl said:

One big advantage the Seawind has is such nice sugar scoops.  They really are a nice feature for any type of diving or swimming or simply getting on and off a tender.

And usually an acknowledgement that someone got the real-world weight and balance calculations wrong ;-)

Mostly kidding, I like them from the practicality standpoint, but do you ever see an original design that includes the extremes on "settled design" AUS cruising cats? (the French seem to be resistant)

Time for a designer to weigh in, so to speak. It might be COTB syndrome.

GCY 53 49 pass USCG certified.

Scoops!

Image result for gold coast yachts 53 catamaran

This would probably be around $700,000 turnkey today. That particular boat is nearly 20 years old and still making good money for the third owner.

On 7/27/2017 at 3:29 PM, Rasputin22 said:

GCY 53 49 pass USCG certified.

Scoops!

This would probably be around $700,000 turnkey today. That particular boat is nearly 20 years old and still making good money for the third owner.

Rasper, you're pretty much 'in the know' on such things like a realistic price but I would have guessed another couple hundred grand in 2017 prices....

That boat was probably more like $400,000 new but the closest to what GYC builds today (54') is listed on their website at $715,000 as of a couple of days ago. The owner of WILD HEARTS told me that he is so glad he got the older boat as the newer ones are not as nicely finished due to rising material and labor prices. GYC operated in the beginning with a nice tax holiday to promote skilled jobs on the island but those days are long gone. The amazing thing is the longevity of the original Doug Fir/Western Red Cedar/Epoxy boats and if taken care of can earn an owner with a good charter location a fortune. WILD HEARTS had probably paid for itself many times over in its career. The first owner now has a 70'er with inboard diesels and certified for 100 passengers. At one time those boats coming out of GCY could pay for themselves in 2-3 seasons AFTER expenses. A nice resort or a cruise ship contract and you are golden. Coast Guard is getting tougher on design and annual inspections and that will drive the prices up though. 

http://www.goldcoastyachts.com/Commercial-Sailing/CS-other/GC70-chamonix-II.pdf

This model was the big earner though.

http://www.goldcoastyachts.com/Commercial-Sailing/CS-other/GC78-caribbean-spirit.pdf

On 21/07/2017 at 4:19 AM, Pooch692000 said:

Doing intial research on a daysailing catamaran that is made in USA that could hold up to 50 passengers for sunset sails and private charters that is also bluewater capable for delviery down south potentiall in winter.  The Seawind 1160 Resort http://www.seawindcats.com/models/seawind-day-charter-catamaran/  fits the bill as far a s size and specs (21'6:" s max for local travel lifts for haulouts)  The issue is it  made in vietnam and would only be able to get USCG certification for 12 passengers (or so I was told).  Would like the same layout or close to it, but made in the USA.  Any manufacturers who could build one to similar specs or other ones that fit the bill already.  Googleing, but not finding what I am looking for.

The 1160 Resort does 40 plus 2 in smooth water survey in Australia, and our rules are ridiculously tough

55 minutes ago, ozmultis said:

The 1160 Resort does 40 plus 2 in smooth water survey in Australia, and our rules are ridiculously tough

I think you'll find the limit is related to the Jones act and not the actual capability of the vessel.  IIRC the jones act which requires all commercial vessels to be built in the US doesn't apply to boat with less than 12 pax or bare boats.

there is all sorts of documentation that wrongly says this boat was built in the US.  Maybe you can get a deal if you buy as is where is.  wasn't Conner's winged cat operated successfully as a charter boat until it was wrecked in a cyclone?

m722_crop169014_1024x576_proportional_14