Vaeredil

An Idiot, a cat, and a sailboat

I just discovered this thread, and hope our guy is OK, too.

2 hours ago, SpittingSpume said:

I for one would like to hear the OP is fine and doing well. Just a bit off lidit for wi-fi 

update, please!

His boat was listed as sold on CL a month ago.

On 31 oktober 2017 at 10:38 AM, Norse Horse said:

His boat was listed as sold on CL a month ago.

Guess he found better accomodation then. New thread- "an idiot and a cat as gigolos in suburbian Vancouver"

Reading this was actually kind of an education. If you seriously do not have fifty bucks to your name... if cobbling together a couple hundred dollars every few months is beyond your means, then living on a boat, on the hook, is not as easy as it seems.  If you do get a job as a dishwasher, then getting to work on days when the weather is godawful is not so easy.  If your dinghy gets ripped off, you're fucked.  I've careened a Cal 20 before. It's doable, but if you can't get the money together for some bottom paint, then ???

It was interesting to think about it.  Any sort of steady income, even just $500 a month makes a massive, massive difference.

I said that?  It must have been a rhum-fueled,  philosophical moment. 

Yay,  me! 

Well said Ajax. 

Hope the Op guy is doing well.

not easy to get by without cash or income AND staying  legal. On my neck of the woods there is a guy who built. A little shack In a thicket just where I leave my dink going ashore. He has a fishing net in use each night and some friends coming around now and then. A lot easier in the tropics for sure, BC in. The winter may be  a wee bit less welcoming.

And the Polynesians are incredible, they haven't forgotten how to survive  as hunters and gatherers

On 8/6/2017 at 9:06 AM, Tom Scott said:

I think it's FIRST about having that major goal - developing that vision of where YOU want to end up - and then looking at the choices you can make that may get you there.

You can start anywhere.  If washing dishes is what you do now, then that is what you do - but is washing dishes forever going to help you achieve your goal(s)?  Probably not. So, then, you must figure out how to move beyond washing dishes to make your living. You could try to go back to school, or learn a trade.  Look for opportunities to meet and talk with people who are doing the things you'd like to do, or who have already reached a goal you are aiming for. Many folks who have worked their way up toward success are happy to share their stories and lessons. There will be plenty to learn even though they are older, and times have changed. You will be surprised by how many times most people fail, and adjust, and just push ahead on their path toward success. You will come to appreciate the level of focus and work it will take - but most importantly, you will realize that YOU can do it, too!  

It would be great if you could find a mentor, an older person who is in whatever field that interests you and who is willing to guide you and help you focus on those things that will lead you toward success. It is important that you find something you are capable of enjoying and being good at. If you can do that, it will be much easier to become the best at what you do - and being "among the best" is one key to enjoying the success necessary to help you reach your goals. 

In the meantime, strive to be the best at whatever you are doing now. Be the best damn dishwasher the restaurant manager ever hired!   Your attitude defines you.

I am currently mentoring a young couple - and the young man is 25 years old. He has worked in the food service industry all his life (.his parents own a restaurant), and he bused tables, became a waiter, and eventually managed - all at places his parents didn't own. He was making a couple hundred dollars a night on tips, but he wanted more from life. His work ethic showed everywhere he went.  Based almost entirely on his attitude and work ethic, he got a job with a major home and kitchen remodeling company as a salesman. They trained him - and he studied hard.  He works on straight commission - his success is entirely in his hands. He got married this past November, and started his new job in December. He is tearing it up!  He is already among the top salesman in his company, and he has sold over $500,000 worth of remodel wok in just seven months. He makes a 10% commission, and is continuing to charge ahead. He and his wife have their own small home, and she works for the County and brings good benefits and a small but steady salary to their mix. The young man will not be a remodeling salesman forever, but his success there will absolutely open new doors for him down the line. He has a goal to live on the water someday with a boat in his backyard, to have children, and enjoy a high quality of life with his wife and family. He works hard, plays hard, and focuses on those things that will help him move forward.  I have been helping his wife pay for college and get out of debt - and both my wife and I are offering them advice and assistance wherever we can. But they are the ones with the goals and dreams, and they are working toward them together.  He has plans, and is learning, working, and saving for the future. He and his wife are on a great path toward achieving their goals because they know what they want, and are finally working to get there,  You can do the same!   Decide where you want to end up, and then determine what steps will be necessary to lead you there by talking to people who have already done it. There is no ONE right way, but there are a lot of dead ends you can avoid with the advice of a good mentor.

Finally, when you arrive at your desired destination ...stop ...turn around ...and extend a helping hand outward to the next generation working to follow in your footsteps by whatever means you are capable of. When you do that, you will know the true value of what you have accomplished.  Maybe take some young folks sailing on your sailboat, and talk about how they might have a good life? 

Tom - that is great advice thank you for posting.

2 hours ago, Lucky Dog said:

Tom - that is great advice thank you for posting.

Tom's not here, man.

FYI, I'm 99.9% sure this boat in the OP went up on the beach here very recently (and was taken away) .  

Oh well, somewhere there's another (and another, and another...) timeless, old, virtually indestructible, small fibreglass yacht in search of a caretaker...

Amd with that - happy new year to all!  May your wildest yachting dreams, and none of your nightmares, come true this year! :-)

Damn.

There actually is a finite number of these old boats and as time grinds on, we'll eventually run out of inexpensive, entry level boats for newcomers.

4 hours ago, Ajax said:

Damn.

There actually is a finite number of these old boats and as time grinds on, we'll eventually run out of inexpensive, entry level boats for newcomers.

Good point.  Speaking of time grinding on, I believe it was economist/thinker John Kenneth Galbraith whose mordant humour produced the famous quip (putting a humorous spin on the technical terms in economics):

"In the long run, we're all dead."

:-)

BTW, on the topic of new-old, cheap entry-level fiberglass sailboats, ya gotta watch the documentary "Hold Fast".  These 'kids' amply demonstrate that it's fairly easy to find and refit such boats on the cheap, if committed.  (We're doing/did similarly, as one of the legs of the 3-legged stool of our adventurous life.  We may yet win the Dirtbag Award... :-) )

"Hold Fast":  

On 10/31/2017 at 11:34 AM, SpittingSpume said:

I for one would like to hear the OP is fine and doing well. Just a bit off lidit for wi-fi 

update, please!

It's been a while guys, sorry for the lack of updates. Here's one to make up for it. 

I ran across someone by crazy coincidence who recognized my facial features.... they went to high school with my dad 30-odd years ago and hadn't heard from or seen him since. Turns out they have a nice home on bowen and a dog and two other cats. They agreed to take care of Mistral for a while, and it turns out she's pretty okay with being on land too. It was going to be temporary at first just while I was in Vancouver looking for work but after a while she was becoming part of their little family, so I decided to let her stay. Mistral had one hell of a ride, starting off in a downtown east side crack den and then bouncing onto a few friend's boats and then mine after a rescue. Stings a lot, but I'm happy she's found a good home at last. If that's the only good thing to come out of this adventure then I think it was worth it.

Going to miss her.

The boat's gone too. Sold it to a fairly enthusiastic guy, but I haven't been to bowen or heard from him in about 5 or 6 months now. Not sure if it's sunk or still floating, I hope the latter. 

I've had a little bit of luck (I'm no longer up to my neck in debt, but only up to my shoulders). Paying this off is a long slow process, and there's not much I can do to speed it up. Oh well, right? Worked a few more odd jobs, here in Van. After I sold the boat i was living in the back of a cube truck that i was driving for a film job, then bought my own van to live in while I worked, that broke down (oh surprise surprise), and I finally got a small room in an apartment, and have been working a regular job for about three months now. 

Unfortunately, life kicks you while you're down, and this place is due to get demolished this spring to be turned into a large (expensive) apartment building, along with the vacant lot next door. So, I'm heading out of BC. Going to see my family in Northern Ontario, and hopefully pay off the rest of my debt there. After that? Who knows, maybe I can even get back to chasing my dreams. We do have a lake south of town that's about 10 km long and 4 wide, and my dad has a small dinghy in unknown condition. The ice is off the lake there about 5 months of the year, so there's a bit of a fix to be had. 

Hope all is well, if anyone knows of a surefire way to win the lottery or has a free boat, hit me up. 

I don't know if I can change the title but it's just "An Idiot" now. 

28512133_10156438001022994_1363201565_n.jpg

On 12/31/2017 at 10:09 AM, Jud - s/v Sputnik said:

FYI, I'm 99.9% sure this boat in the OP went up on the beach here very recently (and was taken away) .  

Oh well, somewhere there's another (and another, and another...) timeless, old, virtually indestructible, small fibreglass yacht in search of a caretaker...

Amd with that - happy new year to all!  May your wildest yachting dreams, and none of your nightmares, come true this year! :-)

I'd be interested to know if it was old Amrak. I head a similar rumor from a friend who heard it from a friend, but then later they said it was refloated?

On 11/3/2017 at 11:28 AM, SpittingSpume said:

Guess he found better accomodation then. New thread- "an idiot and a cat as gigolos in suburbian Vancouver"

My life as a gigalo would be so much better with a cat by my side

You'll be back sooner than you think(If you want to be!)
I've been down the same path(though substitute storage locker and later an ex ambulance for the vans).    It's taken me more years than I'd have expected, but I'm hoping to be buying a boat sometime in the next year or two.  Getting out of Van is key, cost of living to income ratio there is horrible.  

7 hours ago, jgbrown said:

You'll be back sooner than you think(If you want to be!)
I've been down the same path(though substitute storage locker and later an ex ambulance for the vans).    It's taken me more years than I'd have expected, but I'm hoping to be buying a boat sometime in the next year or two.  Getting out of Van is key, cost of living to income ratio there is horrible.  

ain't that the truth

https://censusmapper.ca/maps/897#7/45.248/-79.816 the link maps the "median multiple" across canada based on 2016 census data.  the City of vancouver has a median multiple of 16.8!!!  greater sudbury (northern ontario) 3.55.  The OP needs to get him some northern ontario.

Shoulda scuttled that bitch in a pass in FLA. Would have washed all your problems away. 

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, Chunks Ahoy said:

Shoulda scuttled that bitch in a pass in FLA. Would have washed all your problems away. 

Right?!  Where did I go wrong spending a couple years and 20k outfitting my Alberg 30 then staying in the industry so I would eventually know enough to make my boat safe... Shoulda just sailed right out of Vancouver, got in a fucking wreck and been better off outta the deal.  

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, jgbrown said:

Right?!  Where did I go wrong spending a couple years and 20k outfitting my Alberg 30 then staying in the industry so I would eventually know enough to make my boat safe... Shoulda just sailed right out of Vancouver, got in a fucking wreck and been better off outta the deal.  

Yeah, I think the key is to arrange to be an idiot someplace that has waist-deep warm water.  

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, toddster said:

Yeah, I think the key is to arrange to be an idiot someplace that has waist-deep warm water.  

And also to be 23 years old and potentially willing to skinny dip on camera.

• Like 1

Hey Friends,

Been a while but I'm back in Northern Ontario with the family and rapidly chipping away at my debt, but in-between work it's sailing time! I've been crewing on an E -scow at the local yacht club but My dad's loaning me his little National E/Lazy E dinghy. I'll try and get some pics but if you aren't familiar with it, it's 16 or 17 feet or so, fractional rig, can fly a spinnaker but I don't have one, and is meant for a crew of two. OK condition except the centreboard vibrates when you get going fast enough, not sure what that's about. 

I'm wondering what I can do to sail it solo (nobody else is too interested in sailing it with me). I don't want to try and sew reefpoints in unless absolutely necessary. Could I stick a couple sandbags in the bottom of the boat and call it a day? I only weigh about 175lbs, and here in northern Ontario it frequently gets quite gusty (20-30knots, some days). Only concern is that if I DO capsize it (and i'm sure it's only a matter of time) the sandbags might make it hard to right. Idk. 

On 3/17/2018 at 12:13 AM, IStream said:

Lmao, I love being a guy but I think it's going to hurt my options here :P

On 3/16/2018 at 9:53 AM, chester said:

ain't that the truth

https://censusmapper.ca/maps/897#7/45.248/-79.816 the link maps the "median multiple" across canada based on 2016 census data.  the City of vancouver has a median multiple of 16.8!!!  greater sudbury (northern ontario) 3.55.  The OP needs to get him some northern ontario.

You are/were definitely right. I'm taking advantage of living with the family for now, but things are rapidly looking up. Might even be debt-free by October/November!

• Like 2

On 3/16/2018 at 10:13 PM, IStream said:

On 3/16/2018 at 10:05 PM, toddster said:

I was younger than that, and you better believe I'd skinny dip on camera if a boat was on offer, then or now.  Bugger the warm water, I'll do it in the middle of winter in English Bay if that does the trick.   Won't be much to show on the camera in those temperatures, but a boat would help to ease the suffering on that score.  :lol::lol:

On 6/13/2018 at 9:09 AM, Vaeredil said:

Hey Friends,

Been a while but I'm back in Northern Ontario with the family and rapidly chipping away at my debt, but in-between work it's sailing time! I've been crewing on an E -scow at the local yacht club but My dad's loaning me his little National E/Lazy E dinghy. I'll try and get some pics but if you aren't familiar with it, it's 16 or 17 feet or so, fractional rig, can fly a spinnaker but I don't have one, and is meant for a crew of two. OK condition except the centreboard vibrates when you get going fast enough, not sure what that's about. 

I'm wondering what I can do to sail it solo (nobody else is too interested in sailing it with me). I don't want to try and sew reefpoints in unless absolutely necessary. Could I stick a couple sandbags in the bottom of the boat and call it a day? I only weigh about 175lbs, and here in northern Ontario it frequently gets quite gusty (20-30knots, some days). Only concern is that if I DO capsize it (and i'm sure it's only a matter of time) the sandbags might make it hard to right. Idk. 

Lmao, I love being a guy but I think it's going to hurt my options here :P

You are/were definitely right. I'm taking advantage of living with the family for now, but things are rapidly looking up. Might even be debt-free by October/November!

Congratulations!  I'm envious of you finding a way to get sailing so quickly.   If you ever make it back to the wet coast and get a boat, feel free to bring the boat by for some cheap yard space to refit(as long as you don't make a big mess round the boat). 

You sound much more responsible than many of the liveaboards in Vancouver.  I made the mistake of loaning one guy on a Catalina 27 my 35lb CQR because he was at anchor and I was at the dock...  It lasted less than 48 hours before he let the rode chafe through leaving my chain and anchor on the bottom, didn't even buy me a beer after!   I figure he still owes me a bit for the anchor, lol. 

On 6/25/2018 at 11:28 PM, jgbrown said:

I was younger than that, and you better believe I'd skinny dip on camera if a boat was on offer, then or now.  Bugger the warm water, I'll do it in the middle of winter in English Bay if that does the trick.   Won't be much to show on the camera in those temperatures, but a boat would help to ease the suffering on that score.  :lol::lol:

Congratulations!  I'm envious of you finding a way to get sailing so quickly.   If you ever make it back to the wet coast and get a boat, feel free to bring the boat by for some cheap yard space to refit(as long as you don't make a big mess round the boat). 

You sound much more responsible than many of the liveaboards in Vancouver.  I made the mistake of loaning one guy on a Catalina 27 my 35lb CQR because he was at anchor and I was at the dock...  It lasted less than 48 hours before he let the rode chafe through leaving my chain and anchor on the bottom, didn't even buy me a beer after!   I figure he still owes me a bit for the anchor, lol. 

Hell, chip a hole in the lake here in -40 and stand by with an ambulance for me. There's not much I wouldn't do for a decent boat!

And thank you very much, I really appreciate the offer (And hopefully I'll have the chance to take you up on it!). I'm fairly sure I can manage to keep a tidy space :P 

Yeah, unfortunately I'm well acquainted with almost all of the Vancouver liveaboard crew. There's a few good ones, but a majority are essentially boat bums in the worst sense of the word, and a few haven't moved for years except by hitching tows from other sailors. It's very sad to see a couple of the nicer old wooden boats never hoist sail and head out. You story with a Cat 27 sounds familiar, I think I know two fellows it might have been. If there's any karma to be had though, maybe an anchor will come back your way some day. I had a similar experience anchoring in False Creek actually, a fellow in a 50 footer dragged down and cut my line with his prop while I was gone... but instead of just leaving my boat to float, he tied mine to his, dragged the creek until he pulled up my anchor, and gave me a winch handle in exchange for the lost length to my anchor rode. Standup fellow, same guy who later employed me on Bowen for a while and gave all kinds of help.

Honestly I was shocked by the amount (and quality) of sailboats on our tiny little lake here. I've been out on that E Scow a few times, a J24 and a J27 the last two weeks (it was gusting to 30-35 last night, but some of the guys thought it was 50, lol. Made for an amazing race), and I've been taking the dinghy out solo every week now, which has been amazing. Requires a heck of a lot of hiking with just me but man does it fly. Going to be spending a few days making a replacement tiller and extension for it though, my aluminum one has apparently been pinched by someone with no morals. It's possible it blew away, but I can't see how as I had it under the thwart seat and the light wood paddle I keep above the seat didn't go anywhere. It'll be fun though, going to try laminating something up and lashing up an extension somehow. 

Slightly worried about the winter though. It's going to be a long, cold, dark, and sailboat-less 7 months. 

Had to turn down two chances to crew for R2AK next summer because I just got a job paying about double minimum wage here and a cheap apartment. 

Winter sucks so far and sailing withdrawal has me taking up crochet to keep out of boredom.

I know it's a necessary evil but I'm kinda depressed about having to say no to offers like this. 

Won "Cruiser of the Year" at the local yacht club for being out on the water the most of anyone this summer, that was really encouraging and pretty great. 

2018 10 06_6987_edited-1.jpeg

Great job! Don't worry,  you'll get through the winter.  Nothing wrong with crochet. You can also practice line splicing. We call that "man knitting."

• Like 1

Thank you both! And learning to splice sounds pretty practical. I probably should expand my repertoire of knots, too. can't do everything with square knots and a bowline :P

54 minutes ago, chester said:

well done

42 minutes ago, Ajax said:

Great job! Don't worry,  you'll get through the winter.  Nothing wrong with crochet. You can also practice line splicing. We call that "man knitting."

Learn to tie a running bowline . It's useful for running reefing lines.

• Like 2

Congrats on the new job, new digs and YC award. Hopefully you will get out as much next season. Missing the r2ak is a downer let me tell you. Hopefully you will get some big enough adventures to fill that gap or a new boat. Sometimes taking new sailors out on trips can be very rewarding to you as well, your enthusiasm can be infectious.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Ajax said:

Learn to tie a running bowline . It's useful for running reefing lines.

Will do! Any suggestions for a knot that'll work for tying to pillings with a really long line? I ran into that problem a lot last time I was going up the coast, I had to have super long docklines for trying to shore in anchorages, but then when you're close to something you've got to pull like 50 feet of line through any knot you make :P

3 hours ago, Norse Horse said:

Congrats on the new job, new digs and YC award. Hopefully you will get out as much next season. Missing the r2ak is a downer let me tell you. Hopefully you will get some big enough adventures to fill that gap or a new boat. Sometimes taking new sailors out on trips can be very rewarding to you as well, your enthusiasm can be infectious.

Thank you very much :) I really hope so too. 

And with any luck, maybe I can! If nobody else, at least some of my siblings. Took my 10-year old brother out last summer and he loved it (even after we got caught in a small downburst/thunderstorm getting back). 

There's always R2AK 2020..... or 2021........

If you do this with your bitter end... The Blue View - Flaking the Dock Lines — Just a Little Further

I see there are a couple teams listed already for the race, a Hobie AI and an Alberg 23.

https://r2ak.com/2019-teams-full-race-participants/

Race 2 Alaska — Seaforth Expeditions

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Ajax said:

Here we are on the dock in Victoria, BC with —honestly— sailing legend (google him) Alex Whitworth.  Awesome guy.  He’s teaching my 14 year old daughter to splice after Stage 1 of R2AK this boast June.  He told men he learned so splice when he was a teenager, by Commander so-and-so, a dinghy sailing instructor, back in the 1950s!

He recommended:

-Selma fids set (Amazon.com)

-“Splicing Modern Ropes”, by Jan-Wilhelm Polman

As a circumnavigator, Cape Horner, NW Passage transiter, multiple Syd-Hob racer, and Fastnet racer, I’d listen very carefully to what Alex says :-) 

70730B06-E196-4543-98AA-BFACF1B8C2E8.jpeg

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Vaeredil said:

BTW, Amrak ended up on the rocks/beach a few days ago.  (I believe you owned her at one point?)  I don’t know her status/fate.

19E3B526-018A-4B85-B876-CFB899510D63.png

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Vaeredil said:

Will do! Any suggestions for a knot that'll work for tying to pillings with a really long line? I ran into that problem a lot last time I was going up the coast, I had to have super long docklines for trying to shore in anchorages, but then when you're close to something you've got to pull like 50 feet of line through any knot you make :P

I'm sure there are a dozen ways to skin this cat, but I'll tell you what I did-

Initially, I formed a bight in the dock lines by passing the line through the factory-spliced eye and leaving the bight on the piling. When I docked, I simply grabbed the bitter ends and tied them to the boat's cleats. I was unsatisfied with this because every time I docked, I'd have to adjust them repeatedly because the lines weren't marked in any way.

What I settled on, was forming a bight by tying a running bowline around each of the pilings, adjusted the way I like them, leaving the factory-spliced eye as the bitter end. Now when I dock, I simply drop the eyes on their respective cleats, knowing that they are already properly adjusted. This will work even better for you, because the Great Lakes have no tides to adjust for.

So, why the running bowlines on the pilings? Because a bight with a regular bowline just keeps sawing and chafing on the piling. A running bowline slips more easily around the piling when boat wakes or wind rock the boat around.

I especially love my spring line being done this way. I drop it onto its cleat as I'm backing in, and I know that I'll never smash into the dock behind me. Just..."BOING" if I come in a little hot.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Norse Horse said:

If you do this with your bitter end... The Blue View - Flaking the Dock Lines — Just a Little Further

I see there are a couple teams listed already for the race, a Hobie AI and an Alberg 23.

https://r2ak.com/2019-teams-full-race-participants/

Race 2 Alaska — Seaforth Expeditions

Going to have to keep a close eye on the teams for this year. Interesting to see the "Seaforth"' 's more organized approach to the race. Wonder if that'll become more common? I will as usual be rooting for the smallest or least likely candidate :D

1 hour ago, Jud - s/v Sputnik said:

Here we are on the dock in Victoria, BC with —honestly— sailing legend (google him) Alex Whitworth.  Awesome guy.  He’s teaching my 14 year old daughter to splice after Stage 1 of R2AK this boast June.  He told me he learned so splice when he was a teenager, by Commander so-and-so, a dinghy sailing instructor, back in the 1950s!

He recommended:

-Selma fids set (Amazon.com)

-“Splicing Modern Ropes”, by Jan-Wilhelm Polman

As a circumnavigator, Cape Horner, NW Passage transiter, multiple Syd-Hob racer, and Fastnet racer, I’d listen very carefully to what Alex says :-) 

That's really incredible, I've read a few of the logs from his website in the past and damn has that man had some incredible adventures. Going through the NW passage particularly. Berrimilla is a very neat boat to boot. 

Definitely will be looking up both of those recommendations. 

BTW, Amrak ended up on the rocks/beach a few days ago.  (I believe you owned her at one point?)  I don’t know her status/fate.

I did. That's very disappointing indeed, I had hoped she was going to be taken care of. It looks like they did do some work on her before the neglect set in: I scraped the bottom in a half-sized wetsuit sometime last June, but the bottom looks much cleaner than what I was able to do just diving under with the plastic paddle. Also, I could have sworn that the waterline and boot stripe were both dark green, not blue? I'll have to go back and look at past pictures. 

Does anybody by chance have the new owner's phone number? I had it but lost it when I soaked my phone sailing the dinghy this summer. Jud, if you don't; do you know John, the owner of the big (like 45-50') sailboat who is always anchored out in deep bay, on the north side? Can't remember the boat's name but John has a cabin up middle of the island. He might have some kind of contact.

I'd love just to ask the fellow to take even get her off the rocks and moored again. That's heartbreaking, Amrak doesn't deserve this. I feel kinda responsible. 

Sad to see Amrak like that. Too many 80's boats have gone or are in a near zombie state from neglect.

Note the Buccaneer in Mocking Ads Jon posted. How many boats get that kind of adventurous lives? It's the journey not the boat.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Norse Horse said:

Sad to see Amrak like that. Too many 80's boats have gone or are in a near zombie state from neglect.

Note the Buccaneer in Mocking Ads Jon posted. How many boats get that kind of adventurous lives? It's the journey not the boat.

I agree. So many good, cheap boats out there, waiting to be magic carpets.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Norse Horse said:

31 minutes ago, Ajax said:

I agree. So many good, cheap boats out there, waiting to be magic carpets.

While I absolutely agree that you can do a lot with designs that aren't "optimal", the old owners do seem to have put a lot of money into upgrades. Is that a set of custom sails? Interior doesn't look like the standard buccaneer either. 

That picture in front of the glacier is incredible though. That boat's had some really great adventures. 

Amrak could do the same for someone with a little bit of money and a fair bit of motivation. She sailed well even with the wobbly homemade tiller I had on her and that bagged out mainsail. 

On 11/7/2018 at 11:50 AM, Vaeredil said:

Going to have to keep a close eye on the teams for this year. Interesting to see the "Seaforth"' 's more organized approach to the race. Wonder if that'll become more common? I will as usual be rooting for the smallest or least likely candidate :D

That's really incredible, I've read a few of the logs from his website in the past and damn has that man had some incredible adventures. Going through the NW passage particularly. Berrimilla is a very neat boat to boot. 

Definitely will be looking up both of those recommendations. 

I did. That's very disappointing indeed, I had hoped she was going to be taken care of. It looks like they did do some work on her before the neglect set in: I scraped the bottom in a half-sized wetsuit sometime last June, but the bottom looks much cleaner than what I was able to do just diving under with the plastic paddle. Also, I could have sworn that the waterline and boot stripe were both dark green, not blue? I'll have to go back and look at past pictures. 

Does anybody by chance have the new owner's phone number? I had it but lost it when I soaked my phone sailing the dinghy this summer. Jud, if you don't; do you know John, the owner of the big (like 45-50') sailboat who is always anchored out in deep bay, on the north side? Can't remember the boat's name but John has a cabin up middle of the island. He might have some kind of contact.

I'd love just to ask the fellow to take even get her off the rocks and moored again. That's heartbreaking, Amrak doesn't deserve this. I feel kinda responsible. 

Yup, I know John, from chatting with him on the water, etc (his boat is named “Eos”). If I see him, I’ll ask if knows the owner is Amrak (Amray?).

• Like 1

Yup, I know John, from chatting with him on the water, etc (his boat is named “Eos”). If I see him, I’ll ask if knows the owner is Amrak (Amray?).

That's the one! Should really have remembered Eos, I met John the first time three years ago in false creek when he and Eos accidentally cut my anchor line :P He was a true gentleman about it, and I got a (much needed) winch handle out of the deal as well as my anchor back. He's a stand up guy. 

And I wasn't sure if that's an intentional change or not, I thought maybe the waves/beaching did that. Amrak is "karma" backwards, but I've never heard of "Yarma" before.