• Announcements

• Zapata

Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  
dogedog

Soto 40 - still sailing somewhere

Just curious...thought they were cool from the hype on SA. But then vanished...?

5 minutes ago, TripleZeros said:

Just had one shipped back from Spain. Lots to learn but fast and fun. Lake Michigan PHRF is -15, Farr 40 is -12.

Is that the one I saw at Torrensons?

Interesting to see them next to each other.   Hard to tell from the photo, does the Farr 400 appear to have a bunch more freeboard ?    I spent a couple summers on a Soto 40, I know below decks it's pretty low volume but have seen pics of the 400 with people standing up in full.

Both are super cool-- looking forward to seeing you guys get that Soto cranked up for sure.  One of the funnest (maybe not driest nor most comfy) Chicago-Mac boats I've ever sailed, and a wicked light air reaching machine for sure.  I have video of us going by the sleeping bear dunes at 21 knots, one hand on the wheel and no drama.  These things fly in the right setup and conditions.

What's the cost to bring from Spain or EU (ballpark)?

yeah on Lake Erie we could use more light air boats. Seem perfect here as well. 

Bring your camping gear for the Mac - wet and wild for sure. 

Other than when they were used as a 2nd level boat in the MedCup days the rest were in South America where they were built, quite a strong class down there for a while. Have not heard anything on them much since the MedCup days.

The one in Muskegon is super cool!  Very nice toy to show off 000!  Race her like you stole it!

6 hours ago, dogedog said:

What's the cost to bring from Spain or EU (ballpark)?

yeah on Lake Erie we could use more light air boats. Seem perfect here as well. 

Bring your camping gear for the Mac - wet and wild for sure. 

Estimates were anywhere from $25k to $45k USD from doorstep to doorstep.  Considering my other boat is a Melges 30 MOD we are used to wet and wild.

Good to see the boat go to a good home, I worked and sailed on it in 2011,  and I racked up somewhere in the region of 1250miles on delivery over the MedCup season, wet yes, comfy no fun to sail, HELL YES! Enjoy.

the o.d. racing practically disappeared here in south america (maybe still some in argentina and chile, but not much as before).

here in brazil they've been racing under irc and orc.

In that size range OD boats still need to rate well. Soto40 was punished for the wings.

The move to be the second class at the med cup was a killer blow.  Costs exploded and the boats looked slow (even though they weren't).

The Farr40 crown appears to be staying vacant for some time.