ASP

Pac Cup 2018

Looks like Limitless turned around just as they got some good breeze.  That's the boat Hitchhiker is on right?  They were still definitely in contention.  Schedule conflicts.

That "old" Farr 36, Sweet Okole, is a fast little yacht.  

This has been a fun pac cup to follow. Now if only we had more drone footage to consume. Would love to see how the Antrim is surfing vs the E27s now that the breeze is coming back!

From Limitless: https://e37limitless.com/2018/07/important-update-from-team-limitless-steering-issues-force-retirement-from-race-all-aboard-are-safe-and-sound-headed-home-to-san-pedro/

Sad to see them dropping out, especially for failing brand new rudder bearings.  It sounds like the safe and smart call.

Alessandra

Day 6: 

Someone used the aft head but the tank was full. The treatment plant in the rudder compartment proceeded to spray fecal matter in a circular pattern all over the rudder post, quadrant, bearings and cables. I spent 2 hours this morning trying to address the rudder bearing issue  -- in that compartment. So I'm covered in the crew's excrement. 

We had a water panic yesterday when the faucet ran dry. Had to pull up floor-boards this morning to figure out wtf is going on with the water. Turns out we have a full tank but somehow the autoclave refuses to stop pressurizing and the risk is we blow a hose right off the fitting and lose all our tank water. 

I have 75 gallons in separate bins intact, ready to go so not panicking.

We finally have kites up this am and are rumbling along at 8-9 kts, so helm is better now than with JT/GS combo. 

Pray for us. 

G

Damn, I've been watching this race and I feel really bad for the early starters.

Seems like they should be able to hold of the starts until the something better comes along.

Like Mavericks?

It's a tough race for sure. damn competitive. I love the battle of the cousins on the Express 27s.  5 miles apart as of this morning?

OK - just a guess, but there might be something wrong with Irene. She was consistently faster before the light air, but now they've lost 5 miles today vs Loose Cannon.

Irene's having trouble staying low and fast. They keep creeping up to AR's line and gybing down. Might be fatigue, might be their sail inventory not being ideal for the conditions. They've been doing well enough during the day, but they hemorrhage miles at night.

Things are starting to get interesting in the Pac Cup Fleet. The Figaroa Boys are still launched. But, they need to get into a bit more pressure. The Antrim is looking pretty good right now. The Div. E boats are on the charge. Pyewacket & Prospector are eating up the miles as they usually do. Blue is looking really strong as well with a 13.3 knot VMG.

Fun to watch Blue, the Riptide 41, keeping up with the sleds.  They had a better 24 hour run than Pyewacket, Westerly, Runaway, and Rage.  That's not an easy feat on a 41 footer.

Super fun to watch Blue now reeling in the 70' sleds and the M32 and C32 reel in the 50' sleds.  All 3 are absolutely ripping right now.  Blue has been been faster than the sleds for the past 30 hours, gaining 20 miles on Pyewacket.  Zowie!

Also really liking the battle between Aloha, P&D, and Zaff as they drag race down the rhumbline.  

Wolfpack is fully lit up now as well.  Closing down the gap on the Antrim and Figaro in a hurry.  

Prospector for Line Honours, but who will be second?  

I don't know. The Figaroa boys are pointed straight at the barn with a breeze that is going to keep heading them. Everyone else are on a persistent lift until they jibe for the mark. So, everyone else's DTFs are not reflective of the distance they still have to sail. In about two days that nice clean rotation is going to start getting light and less stable. Which is going to make calling the jibe a bit trickier. Boy is Prospector really hauling the mail!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Roleur said:

Super fun to watch Blue now reeling in the 70' sleds and the M32 and C32 reel in the 50' sleds.  All 3 are absolutely ripping right now.  Blue has been been faster than the sleds for the past 30 hours, gaining 20 miles on Pyewacket.  Zowie!

Also really liking the battle between Aloha, P&D, and Zaff as they drag race down the rhumbline.  

Wolfpack is fully lit up now as well.  Closing down the gap on the Antrim and Figaro in a hurry.  

Prospector for Line Honours, but who will be second?  

Go the "Blue"! Looking at this morning standings they are climbing the ladder showing up to 2nd, 2nd and 2nd. I have raced with Michael Schoendorf on McKee's Riptide 44 "Dark Star" and Jonathan, a long time good friend and racing mate of mine, is on "Blue" as well. "Blue" won the Southern Straits race this spring and finished, boat for boat, 15 minutes back from a TP 52! After 138 mile race. "Blue" finishing Straits:

_IGP2436 (800x536) (2).jpg

quote pac cup site;

Like a few other boats, Pyewacket and Blue are not eligible for 'overall' Pacific Cup honors. They are using new specialty reaching sails sometimes called "tweeners."  These sails are recently approved under ORR but not permitted under PHRF

Tweeners ?

Go Fig and Riptide.

That's lame!  Im guessing a Tweener is a Frac code zero.

Go Blue!!

2 minutes ago, heavym210 said:

That's lame!  Im guessing a Tweener is a Frac code zero.

Go Blue!!

Tweener is a r1 or something like that they don’t have the mid-girth to measure as a spin so they were measured as a jib. Orr changed the rule in March and NorCal phrf did not have time to adapt. 

On 7/18/2018 at 7:11 AM, Tom O'Keefe said:

I don't know. The Figaroa boys are pointed straight at the barn with a breeze that is going to keep heading them. Everyone else are on a persistent lift until they jibe for the mark. So, everyone else's DTFs are not reflective of the distance they still have to sail. In about two days that nice clean rotation is going to start getting light and less stable. Which is going to make calling the jibe a bit trickier. Boy is Prospector really hauling the mail!

Exactly. At current speeds the Figaro finishes 1/2 day before Propsector, who really can't jibe until they get to the Fig's track. Looks like Wolfpack is going to hang out south hoping for a shift, but ulitmately they have to jibe and take the Fig's stern. All that plus the Fig's line gets more & more advantageous the closer they get to Kaneohe

separately what happened on zipper? at one point the tracker showed them heading 59' at 5.5. kts. MOB or ???

1 hour ago, Parma said:

separately what happened on zipper? at one point the tracker showed them heading 59' at 5.5. kts. MOB or ???

There YB tracker quit working early on, so their positions are being added manually, I think from a SPOT or InReach tracker.  It means the details of their track aren't so precise.  

A Fond le Girafon looks likely to be First Boat In. Bacon Burger and Wolfe Pack have quite a little match race to the finish going on. The Express 27's seemed to have paired up with three battles going on.

I would never call my offshore boat Bacon Burger, like them to much to be reminded offshore.
Or call it Steaks and chips.

It will be interesting to hear Devanneaux review of the boat; they are 60nm out, prospector should finish about 4-6 hours later.

On 7/18/2018 at 12:16 PM, Maxx Baqustae said:

Go the "Blue"! Looking at this morning standings they are climbing the ladder showing up to 2nd, 2nd and 2nd. I have raced with Michael Schoendorf on McKee's Riptide 44 "Dark Star" and Jonathan, a long time good friend and racing mate of mine, is on "Blue" as well. "Blue" won the Southern Straits race this spring and finished, boat for boat, 15 minutes back from a TP 52! After 138 mile race. "Blue" finishing Straits:

I'm with you Maxx!  Schoendorf is a childhood friend and all around great guy.  Great family history racing on Lake Michigan.  Got my ride on Blue last summer, spending about two weeks on her racing and doing a delivery after the Mac.  I know Mike is having the time of his life out there....great boat and great crew.  Go the Blue!

1 hour ago, LeoV said:

I would never call my offshore boat Bacon Burger, like them to much to be reminded offshore.
Or call it Steaks and chips.

Check the names of the guys on the boat....

• Like 1

Hi All.  Now back on the mainland and pretty gutted about our having to retire.  We have not hauled out yet to see what is going on.  Depending on what we find I may post back here.  In the mean time this is what I posted back to our shore contact for Facebag.

Limitless Retires.

I'm still trying to get my head around the fact that we are no longer racing. After 3 days of slow going, we finally got into the wind. The routing had us in a great position to start moving up the standings again. We were starting to build good runs with an A3 and a staysail set, reaching in breeze up to the low 20's. There had been this low creaking sound in the previous days that we thought was a check stay that was too tight. I came on deck at midnight and started driving. The creaking sound was now very loud and the steering was behaving abnormally with some binding and definite movement between the tiller and the rudder post under load. We were seeing high 9's and several bursts into 10's, with a quartering sea state that meant a lot of helm input.

Unbeknownst to me, Clément, on the off watch, was below deck with a light on the rudder tube listening to the same sounds. At the watch change, 0300, we both simultaneously said, "we need to look into this." We turned the boat down to try and unload things, and went below and aft. There is not much to see, as the boat has a solid rudder tube, with the rudder post and bearing assemblies inside and only accessible by hauling the boat. However, putting a hand on the rudder tube, we could clearly feel the bearings loading up and binding. These are new assemblies, but clearly something is amiss; and continuing to press at race pace could lead to a catastrophic failure. We spent the next 40 minutes discussing the options before Shawn, Clément and I came to the difficult conclusion to pull the plug. We cannot risk a total failure of the rudder shaft, which could in turn break the rudder tube and lead to flooding.

We are now headed home under a storm jib and a reefed mainsail to keep the loads down as best as possible. I start second guessing myself only to hear the awful creaking and grinding sound that reminds me, in order to compete properly everything must work 100%, 100% of the time.

Shawn has put in a tremendous amount of preparation and we assembled a really solid team. Every system was gone through, including removal of the rudder, new bearings and even some structural rudder repairs. We have some detailed investigative work to do when we get back. It is gutting to have to drop out, but the safety of the team and boat come first.

Limitless out.

Feel for you Hitch!

We pulled the plug one year on a brand new boat when the carbon fiber rudder post was flexing beyond the range of the o-ring seal on the orbital bearings. The design was new and the owner builder was told they would not need a rudder tube against my advice. We got the contract to put the rudder tube and new rudder bearing in after the fact. Bummer

Then on the other side we've had some pretty growly sounds come out of Horizon's rudder bearings and got by with pouring olive oil over them.

24 minutes ago, Tom O'Keefe said:

Feel for you Hitch!

We pulled the plug one year on a brand new boat when the carbon fiber rudder post was flexing beyond the range of the o-ring seal on the orbital bearings. The design was new and the owner builder was told they would not need a rudder tube against my advice. We got the contract to put the rudder tube and new rudder bearing in after the fact. Bummer

Then on the other side we've had some pretty growly sounds come out of Horizon's rudder bearings and got by with pouring olive oil over them.

Did the same on Adrenalin. But on an Express 37, no way to get the oil in there....

23 minutes ago, Tom O'Keefe said:

Feel for you Hitch!

Thx Tom.

This incident has prompted us to consider cutting the rudder tube and reinforcing the lower section. This would allow us some modicum of access to the lower bearing assembly and the ability to add a lubricant if needed.

Fig3 has it, why the experimental tracker ?

3 hours ago, Hitchhiker said:

Thx Tom.

This incident has prompted us to consider cutting the rudder tube and reinforcing the lower section. This would allow us some modicum of access to the lower bearing assembly and the ability to add a lubricant if needed.

We had a similar sound/binding issue with a carbon rudder in a carbon tube...grinding noises and stiffness.  Scared us pretty good.  Tried to lubricate it, but no success.  Ultimately, on the advice of someone who'd also had the same problem, we flushed the top of the rudder with LOTS of fresh water squirted down the top of the rudder tube.  Noises went away, binding went away.  Part of our regular deck wash was to hose fresh water directly at the rudder post.  10 years on; no problem.

Your mileage may vary.

AFLGirafon now 20 nm out.

That Antrim 27 is burning it up too

Girafon finished, Prospector still 60 miles out & will need to jibe twice but man that was close! Only 5-6 hours between the 2.

Congratulations to the French duo! And to Prospector for Pac Cup Overall and to Pyewacket for ORR. Now, it's time to fill in the rest of the blanks. There are a whole lot of close rivalries throughout the rest of the fleet. 

MORC maxi (30') Wolfpack finished at 0644 PST.  She is estimated to be first in division, corrected to 2nd in PHRF and corrected to 3rd in PAC Cup ratings.   We will see if this stands up as the rest of the boats finish.

Old Midgets don't die, they just rate better as time goes on!

- Stumbling

• Like 1

Sorry if someone else has pointed this out, but either A Fond la Girafon’s crew sleeps in a lot, or they are racing 2 handed. Powerful as Prospector is and having started many days later,  person for person the Frenchies have worked about 20 times harder, so maybe a bit more kudos  to them Ed. It’s hard to beat the French at soccer or sailing. Allez les bleus.

On 7/13/2018 at 1:40 PM, aA said:

i gasped audibly yesterday when the report from mr. palmer came in saying "Their current Velocity Made Good (VMG) to Hawaii is 4.4 knots. This slow speed means their Estimated Finish Time (EFT) is 19 days, 16 hours, which is on August 1"

go the wind gods and the p&d!

You gasped audibly? really?  How the fuck do you get through life?

your snowflake nature is disturbing.

3 hours ago, wht said:

Sorry if someone else has pointed this out, but either A Fond la Girafon’s crew sleeps in a lot, or they are racing 2 handed. Powerful as Prospector is and having started many days later,  person for person the Frenchies have worked about 20 times harder, so maybe a bit more kudos  to them Ed. It’s hard to beat the French at soccer or sailing. Allez les bleus.

Doublehanded

and for gawd's sake it's a boat with foils, not a foiling boat.

Loose Cannon is putting the hurt on Wilbur. Motorcycle is down 20 with 140 to go and loosing miles every update. Go Andy and Julia!

Foiling Figaro sounds a lot better than Figaro with whispy leeboards. 

10 hours ago, Fakenews said:

I gasped audibly when I read the thread you started that you couldn't decide between a cheap stock J-boat and a "moderately inexpensive" trimaran you wanted to go "play" in with carbon sails "bling" that will cost more than the boat.

Although I agree that "gasped audibly" is a really lame phrase.

• Like 1

On 7/21/2018 at 6:14 PM, stumblingthunder said:

MORC maxi (30') Wolfpack finished at 0644 PST.  She is estimated to be first in division, corrected to 2nd in PHRF and corrected to 3rd in PAC Cup ratings.   We will see if this stands up as the rest of the boats finish.

Old Midgets don't die, they just rate better as time goes on!

- Stumbling

Looks like her score is firming up to be 1st in Div, 2nd in PHRF and 4th in PAC Cup.   Two big sleds and an Express 27 corrected ahead.   Definitely a good showing for a 1985 Donovan MORC boat.

Hell of a job double handing to Hawaii!

- Stumbling

Interesting development in Class C.  Sweet Okole has a healthy lead, but they've gotten a massive header and are now overstood in big breeze.  Can they hold the kite to the finish?  Right now they aren't even close.  If they have to douse and head up, can they keep up the speed to hold off Zaff and P&D?  Zaff has to loving the header with their asym.  

On 7/23/2018 at 9:08 AM, Roleur said:

Interesting development in Class C.  Sweet Okole has a healthy lead, but they've gotten a massive header and are now overstood in big breeze.  Can they hold the kite to the finish?  Right now they aren't even close.  If they have to douse and head up, can they keep up the speed to hold off Zaff and P&D?  Zaff has to loving the header with their asym.  

Sweet Okole must have done something right - finishing about 2 hours ahead of the next boat in C Div.  They finished over 4 hours ago while Zaff is still 55 miles out. 

They even legged out a bit on the Hobie approaching the finish -  the tracker showed the Hobie only 5 miles behind Sweet Okole going amost 2 kts faster when they were about 40 miles from the finish but were 2 hours adrift of Okole at the finish.  Not sure how accurate the estimated DTFs are though.

P&D look like they closed the gap on the Hobie finishing about 45 minutes behind.

10 minutes ago, 12 metre said:

Sweet Okole must have done something right - finishing about 2 hours ahead of the next boat in C Div.  They finished over 4 hours ago while Zaff is still 55 miles out. 

They even legged out a bit on the Hobie approaching the finish -  the tracker showed the Hobie only 5 miles behind Sweet Okole going amost 2 kts faster when they were about 40 miles from the finish but were 2 hours adrift of Okole at the finish.  Not sure how accurate the estimated DTFs are though.

P&D look like they closed the gap on the Hobie finishing about 45 minutes behind.

The Hobie had some issues late in the race. They broke the boom, and finished under Storm Trys'l.

Who would have thought a J/92 could correct out over Sweet Okole and P&D?  Impressive sailing that.  That SE'ly header in the last 2 days was just the ticket they needed to keep from having to sail VMG angles.  

21 minutes ago, Roleur said:

Who would have thought a J/92 could correct out over Sweet Okole and P&D?  Impressive sailing that.  That SE'ly header in the last 2 days was just the ticket they needed to keep from having to sail VMG angles.  

some very good sailors on that boat. Ansel just finished 5th at Melges 24 worlds sailing with Richard Clarke, and Kieran is a very accomplished sailor himself. 

On 7/21/2018 at 9:25 AM, Fakenews said:

what?