ASP

Pac Cup 2018

Looks like Limitless turned around just as they got some good breeze.  That's the boat Hitchhiker is on right?  They were still definitely in contention.  Schedule conflicts.

That "old" Farr 36, Sweet Okole, is a fast little yacht.  

This has been a fun pac cup to follow. Now if only we had more drone footage to consume. Would love to see how the Antrim is surfing vs the E27s now that the breeze is coming back!

From Limitless: https://e37limitless.com/2018/07/important-update-from-team-limitless-steering-issues-force-retirement-from-race-all-aboard-are-safe-and-sound-headed-home-to-san-pedro/

Sad to see them dropping out, especially for failing brand new rudder bearings.  It sounds like the safe and smart call.

Alessandra

Day 6: 

Someone used the aft head but the tank was full. The treatment plant in the rudder compartment proceeded to spray fecal matter in a circular pattern all over the rudder post, quadrant, bearings and cables. I spent 2 hours this morning trying to address the rudder bearing issue  -- in that compartment. So I'm covered in the crew's excrement. 

We had a water panic yesterday when the faucet ran dry. Had to pull up floor-boards this morning to figure out wtf is going on with the water. Turns out we have a full tank but somehow the autoclave refuses to stop pressurizing and the risk is we blow a hose right off the fitting and lose all our tank water. 

I have 75 gallons in separate bins intact, ready to go so not panicking.

We finally have kites up this am and are rumbling along at 8-9 kts, so helm is better now than with JT/GS combo. 

Pray for us. 

G

Damn, I've been watching this race and I feel really bad for the early starters.

Seems like they should be able to hold of the starts until the something better comes along.

Like Mavericks?

It's a tough race for sure. damn competitive. I love the battle of the cousins on the Express 27s.  5 miles apart as of this morning?

OK - just a guess, but there might be something wrong with Irene. She was consistently faster before the light air, but now they've lost 5 miles today vs Loose Cannon.

Irene's having trouble staying low and fast. They keep creeping up to AR's line and gybing down. Might be fatigue, might be their sail inventory not being ideal for the conditions. They've been doing well enough during the day, but they hemorrhage miles at night.

Things are starting to get interesting in the Pac Cup Fleet. The Figaroa Boys are still launched. But, they need to get into a bit more pressure. The Antrim is looking pretty good right now. The Div. E boats are on the charge. Pyewacket & Prospector are eating up the miles as they usually do. Blue is looking really strong as well with a 13.3 knot VMG.

Fun to watch Blue, the Riptide 41, keeping up with the sleds.  They had a better 24 hour run than Pyewacket, Westerly, Runaway, and Rage.  That's not an easy feat on a 41 footer.

Super fun to watch Blue now reeling in the 70' sleds and the M32 and C32 reel in the 50' sleds.  All 3 are absolutely ripping right now.  Blue has been been faster than the sleds for the past 30 hours, gaining 20 miles on Pyewacket.  Zowie!

Also really liking the battle between Aloha, P&D, and Zaff as they drag race down the rhumbline.  

Wolfpack is fully lit up now as well.  Closing down the gap on the Antrim and Figaro in a hurry.  

Prospector for Line Honours, but who will be second?  

I don't know. The Figaroa boys are pointed straight at the barn with a breeze that is going to keep heading them. Everyone else are on a persistent lift until they jibe for the mark. So, everyone else's DTFs are not reflective of the distance they still have to sail. In about two days that nice clean rotation is going to start getting light and less stable. Which is going to make calling the jibe a bit trickier. Boy is Prospector really hauling the mail!

11 hours ago, Roleur said:

Super fun to watch Blue now reeling in the 70' sleds and the M32 and C32 reel in the 50' sleds.  All 3 are absolutely ripping right now.  Blue has been been faster than the sleds for the past 30 hours, gaining 20 miles on Pyewacket.  Zowie!

Also really liking the battle between Aloha, P&D, and Zaff as they drag race down the rhumbline.  

Wolfpack is fully lit up now as well.  Closing down the gap on the Antrim and Figaro in a hurry.  

Prospector for Line Honours, but who will be second?  

Go the "Blue"! Looking at this morning standings they are climbing the ladder showing up to 2nd, 2nd and 2nd. I have raced with Michael Schoendorf on McKee's Riptide 44 "Dark Star" and Jonathan, a long time good friend and racing mate of mine, is on "Blue" as well. "Blue" won the Southern Straits race this spring and finished, boat for boat, 15 minutes back from a TP 52! After 138 mile race. "Blue" finishing Straits:

_IGP2436 (800x536) (2).jpg

quote pac cup site;

Like a few other boats, Pyewacket and Blue are not eligible for 'overall' Pacific Cup honors. They are using new specialty reaching sails sometimes called "tweeners."  These sails are recently approved under ORR but not permitted under PHRF

Tweeners ?

Go Fig and Riptide.

2 minutes ago, heavym210 said:

That's lame!  Im guessing a Tweener is a Frac code zero.

Go Blue!!

Tweener is a r1 or something like that they don’t have the mid-girth to measure as a spin so they were measured as a jib. Orr changed the rule in March and NorCal phrf did not have time to adapt.