hoppy

Club/offshore racers in Aus up to $80k AUD

32 minutes ago, SCANAS said:

Hick 30 now $25k

Double bed, some windows & a paint job down below, could you swing the missus?

https://yachthub.com/list/yachts-for-sale/used/sail-monohulls/hick-30-sports-racer/220069

I'd rather Toecutter.... but i'd have to say no to either Hick..

Unfortunately there is nothing, zero, nil, nada, zippo, SFA on the market in Melbourne at the moment that is of any interest, so I've resigned myself to crew other people boats over winter. Whilst there are possibilities in Adelaide, Sydney & Brissy, the fact that any boat there will have to stay there until late spring perhaps, I don't feel in any rush to buy unless I find something exceptional, like a Cookson 12 being sold dirt cheap by a very angry soon to be ex-wife who caught her hubby banging the children's nanny.

One thing I have learn't since I first started this thread, no matter what boats I miss out on, there will always be at least couple of Sydney 38's on the market. The S38 does tick quite a few boxes although they are a little more than I'd prefer to pay.

BTW when is a good time for a delivery sail to Melbourne?

I assume it's not so difficult to get a weather window(s) to bring a boat from Brissy down to Sydney and beyond. The trouble is waiting at Eden to get across the paddock. You need plenty of time.

Where is the furthest south marina along the NSW coast that you can leave a boat safely and go home? Batemans?

A delivery from Adelaide looks a bit "easier" in the sense that you are reaching on the long leg to Portland if you have a south westerly. Still probably need a couple of goos weather windows to do the trip.  

10 minutes ago, hoppy said:

Where is the furthest south marina along the NSW coast that you can leave a boat safely and go home?

For you?  Tweed Heads

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ97E27Eyxb8E4nfszP56-

1 minute ago, random said:

For you?  Tweed Heads

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ97E27Eyxb8E4nfszP56-

What happened to your original comment that I got a notification email for

For you?  Cairns.

;)

Notification email?  Got a linky?

2 minutes ago, random said:

Notification email?  Got a linky?

Untitled.thumb.jpg.d78986c78cca354b6606d8948281629f.jpg

7 hours ago, hoppy said:

Untitled.thumb.jpg.d78986c78cca354b6606d8948281629f.jpg

You use notifications?   Faaaark mate, that's so fucked up.   No one takes this shit that seriously, I never use them.

Cairns was the right answer for you, but you would have bitched like a little girl that it wasn't NSW.

7 hours ago, hoppy said:

I'd rather Toecutter.... but i'd have to say no to either Hick..

Unfortunately there is nothing, zero, nil, nada, zippo, SFA on the market in Melbourne at the moment that is of any interest, so I've resigned myself to crew other people boats over winter. Whilst there are possibilities in Adelaide, Sydney & Brissy, the fact that any boat there will have to stay there until late spring perhaps, I don't feel in any rush to buy unless I find something exceptional, like a Cookson 12 being sold dirt cheap by a very angry soon to be ex-wife who caught her hubby banging the children's nanny.

One thing I have learn't since I first started this thread, no matter what boats I miss out on, there will always be at least couple of Sydney 38's on the market. The S38 does tick quite a few boxes although they are a little more than I'd prefer to pay.

BTW when is a good time for a delivery sail to Melbourne?

I assume it's not so difficult to get a weather window(s) to bring a boat from Brissy down to Sydney and beyond. The trouble is waiting at Eden to get across the paddock. You need plenty of time.

Where is the furthest south marina along the NSW coast that you can leave a boat safely and go home? Batemans?

A delivery from Adelaide looks a bit "easier" in the sense that you are reaching on the long leg to Portland if you have a south westerly. Still probably need a couple of goos weather windows to do the trip.  

Hoppy 

that is a such a crap excuse for not getting a boat.

There is an excellent delivery window from Thursday till Sunday.

Just wait for high to settle and keep the fronts away.

It is harder getting the window to Sydney.

1 hour ago, lydia said:

Hoppy 

that is a such a crap excuse for not getting a boat.

There is an excellent delivery window from Thursday till Sunday.

Just wait for high to settle and keep the fronts away.

It is harder getting the window to Sydney.

Haha.... I can use any excuse I want... Maybe I just want to drag this thread out to piss everyone off ;)

908 notification emails (although I guess a fair few posts are from you), must fill up the inbox pretty good. I hope they're all filed and cross referenced! ^_^

30 minutes ago, Jethrow said:

908 notification emails (although I guess a fair few posts are from you), must fill up the inbox pretty good. I hope they're all filed and cross referenced! ^_^

Even if I got 908 emails over the 350 days this thread has been going, then that is 2.6 emails a day. My email moves the notifications and a lot of junk mail to a "crap" folder, so my inbox is not clogged.

It's always good to see when people edit their post and think they got away with it :) 

2 hours ago, hoppy said:

Haha.... I can use any excuse I want... Maybe I just want to drag this thread out to piss everyone off ;)

Reminds me of another forum for my other vice - some fellow from Melbourne has been looking to buy a Porsche 986 Boxster and so far I think it has been going for more than 12 months and about 30 cars have been submitted for his review.

I guess he just likes talking about it..... This guy is not you Hoppy?

10 minutes ago, 42 South said:

Reminds me of another forum for my other vice - some fellow from Melbourne has been looking to buy a Porsche 986 Boxster and so far I think it has been going for more than 12 months and about 30 cars have been submitted for his review.

I hope not, he owned an SL55 a Boxster would be like owning a Mac 26. 

21 minutes ago, 42 South said:

Why in the hell would I ever want a 986 Boxter.

Before I bought my Jeanneau and the SL55AMG that Scanas mentioned, these were my rides in Sweden

101745647.yPD3ig9e.jpg

Admittedly it's only a Carrera 4 in GT3 drag.

• Like 1

I'm over fast or "fast" (in the case of a 986 poxter) car ownership living in a police state. In Sweden they are nothing like Aus and I almost annually would do road trips through Germany to the Swiss Alps, Italy, south of France and to the Nurburgring.

Passing through Germany I could drive like this, all legally... Ok, the reality of Germany is that you really only can achieve these sort of speeds on a Sunday morning when the trucks are off the roads and the locals are still in bed sleeping off the drinks from the night before :)

6 hours ago, hoppy said:

Why in the hell would I ever want a 986 Boxter.

Before I bought my Jeanneau and the SL55AMG that Scanas mentioned, these were my rides in Sweden

101745647.yPD3ig9e.jpg

Admittedly it's only a Carrera 4 in GT3 drag.

I'd like to see pictures of your other Swedish rides.

I heard a rumour that there might be a fair amount of wiggle room in the price. Might be more boat than the OP needs though. 

2 hours ago, SCANAS said:

I'd like to see pictures of your other Swedish rides.

People who are comfortable with wealth, don't post shit like that.  He has posted it before.

Others are wanna-be's, you can pick em, they post "look-at-me" content.  From what I have seen these people end up broke pretty regularly.

That's hoppy, I can smell it.

21 minutes ago, random said:

People who are comfortable with wealth, don't post shit like that.  He has posted it before.

I never said I was wealthy. I was single, earning good money living in a shit country. I was just prostituting myself for toys as in Europe they are stupidly cheaper than in Aus.

It'd be boring as fuck to have lived over there for so long as a car nut and only followed the crowds and drove Volvos. 

21 minutes ago, random said:

Sorry too much baked beans

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, random said:

Others are wanna-be's, you can pick em, they post "look-at-me" content.  From what I have seen these people end up broke pretty regularly.

I'm a professor of the human condition, I understand your point & I haven't met Hoppy, but I don't think he falls into that category. 

2 minutes ago, SCANAS said:

I'm a professor of the human condition, I understand your point & I haven't met Hoppy, but I don't think he falls into that category. 

If i was a wanna-be as rambum suspects, then I would have always been well dressed in expensive clothes and well groomed. I was more often than not, driving around looking like an homeless bum who must have stolen the car :)

2 hours ago, Rushman said:

Looks interesting, but a lot of money for an old boat. I've seen discussions on Kiwi forums where that say that boats there are over priced compared to Aus. That's why Kick is going home.

1 minute ago, hoppy said:

If i was a wanna-be as rambum suspects, then I would have always been well dressed in expensive clothes and well groomed. I was more often than not, driving around looking like an homeless bum who must have stolen the car :)

Don't take it personally mate, but that is the image I had exactly.

Nice avatar, flattering me will not get you anywhere though, you're not my type.

5 minutes ago, random said:

Nice avatar, flattering me will not get you anywhere though, you're not my type.

Don't worry, your not my type. My type is the chick to the left of me in the avatar. You can't see her face but you can see her big pies...

23 hours ago, hoppy said:

Looks interesting, but a lot of money for an old boat. I've seen discussions on Kiwi forums where that say that boats there are over priced compared to Aus. That's why Kick is going home.

The only kiwi forum is crew.org which about 7 guys use as their personal message board, not really a true cross section. Like everywhere There are some good buys but you have to be ready to make a decision and get your cheque book out straight away. If you hesitate someone else will recognise the same good deal you did and get the prize. Fine Line is a good example, I can't think of a boat more fitting of your wish list. 

33 minutes ago, Alcatraz5768 said:

The only kiwi forum is crew.org which about 7 guys use as their personal message board, not really a true cross section. Like everywhere There are some good buys but you have to be ready to make a decision and get your cheque book out straight away. If you hesitate someone else will recognise the same good deal you did and get the prize. Fine Line is a good example, I can't think of a boat more fitting of your wish list. 

Yes, but there were better boats here. Not many Aussies will buy a boat in NZD they are dearer, maybe because we have a bigger market. 

His is kinda what I'm trying to say. It's easy to say this ones no good because 'it has grey decks'or a 'green engine' or anything else, then later to say 'I should have bought any of those three boats'. Much easier than saying 'yep I'll take it, here's your money'. The "better boats" you mention were which ones?

29 minutes ago, Alcatraz5768 said:

His is kinda what I'm trying to say. It's easy to say this ones no good because 'it has grey decks'or a 'green engine' or anything else, then later to say 'I should have bought any of those three boats'. Much easier than saying 'yep I'll take it, here's your money'. The "better boats" you mention were which ones?

Sometimes being johhny on the spot with cash is best, sometimes sitting back & waiting for the stars to align works too. Always more work with a missus involved. Inevitably another boat will pop up & they only ever get cheaper. 

If you wanted a trick boat like fineline you couldn't go past Corum, already in the country 80k AUD. Fineline was nice but still an old boat & personally unless it came with a punch of Australian recognised signatures for the mods I could take to insurer & coroners court I'd probably just buy the stock one (with prod) Outside Edge, it was owned by a Master Mariner who kept it behind his house. I think he was asking 79k. 

53 minutes ago, SCANAS said:

Sometimes being johhny on the spot with cash is best, sometimes sitting back & waiting for the stars to align works too. Always more work with a missus involved. Inevitably another boat will pop up & they only ever get cheaper. 

If you wanted a trick boat like fineline you couldn't go past Corum, already in the country 80k AUD. Fineline was nice but still an old boat & personally unless it came with a punch of Australian recognised signatures for the mods I could take to insurer & coroners court I'd probably just buy the stock one (with prod) Outside Edge, it was owned by a Master Mariner who kept it behind his house. I think he was asking 79k. 

The boatbuilder who did the mods sailed on Fineline

Just checked Jeanneau's on Trademe. Hardly any used one's over in NZ, so it's hard to get much of a price comparison.

Found a 349 for 235nz c/w 219k & 2 at 199k in Aus. The 10% GST on import to here cancels out the exchange rate difference. In this case Aus is cheaper which makes sense given the different market size.

Buying away from home comes at a cost whether the boat is interstate or international. Flights, accomodation and hire car when looking, then more of the same when going back for the survey/handover. Crew flights, marina's, delivery crew (if not bringing it back yourself), lost income etc....

If there were two identical boats, one in Melbourne and one in Sydney, I think it would be easily worth paying 5k-10k more for the Melbourne boat. 5K if the Sydney boat is ready for the delivery and the conditions allow you to come now and 10k if it needs some preparation and you need to wait for a more suitable season.

I have not tried to consider what a Kiwi boat would cost extra

It sucks that there are no decent boats in Melbourne ATM...

9 hours ago, Rushman said:

The boatbuilder who did the mods sailed on Fineline

A mark of confidence & I like it, but as above unless it was to Australian Standards & came with a host of accompanying Australian recognised paperwork, engineer certificate etc ...

1 hour ago, SCANAS said:

A mark of confidence & I like it, but as above unless it was to Australian Standards & came with a host of accompanying Australian recognised paperwork, engineer certificate etc ...

What would Australia be like without the nanny state rules and certifications.. Shhheesh

Hoppy

Seriously, there are plenty of boats out there that don't have the paperwork and can never get it now.

Remember you need it for ever modification.

Do I need paperwork if I put a screw into the wall to hold up a picture?

Hoppy, last boat had a pre ABS hull but post ABS requirement rudder, keel, rig so every Cat 2 race entry required about 20 pages of sign off's from both the engineers who designed the work and the builder who carried out the work to the engineers design.

Luckily I had great support from both David Lyons and Richardson Devine Marine in getting all the paperwork to start with.

So top marks those guys.

That is why some of the KIWI boats you have looked at are a waste of time- you will never get the paperwork unless a quite new boat.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, hoppy said:

Do I need paperwork if I put a screw into the wall to hold up a picture?

Not until the wall falls down & the builder says holes were not in the plans.

6 minutes ago, SCANAS said:

Not until the wall falls down & the builder says holes were not in the plans.

If I drop the mast, will my DIY job give the insurance company an out opportunity?

no wonder today’s young are the most useless and helpless generation to walk the planet.

ask kids they have helicopter parents babying them and when they “grow up” it’s the government making sure they don’t suffer ouchies...

How useless will the next generations be? The best hope for them is if the world portrayed in the movie “the matrix” becomes true.

grumpy old man rant over....

When did the ABS requirements come into place?

45 minutes ago, hoppy said:

When did the ABS requirements come into place?

Hoppy

For Cat 1 and 2 any launch date after 1 January 1986.

ABS no longer administer a classification system for race yachts but the boats still have to comply with the requirements.

There are now other classifications systems that apply as alternatives such as the CE classification your Jeanneau would have.

There is an explanation at para 3.30 of the link Scanas posted

BTW Corum would come with all the paperwork from Wellbourne and Koz on the mods.

From memory Corum as a cast iron fin not welded fabrication which is unusual for a small boat and heaps better but far more costly.

33 minutes ago, lydia said:

BTW Corum would come with all the paperwork from Wellbourne and Koz on the mods.

From memory Corum as a cast iron fin not welded fabrication which is unusual for a small boat and heaps better but far more costly.

" There was a huge scope of works in 2005 to remove and change keel to hollow stainless section with modern bulb and and a much more modern underwater profile in step with modern keel shapes"

I don't wanna know the cost of that!

10 minutes ago, Ease the sheet. said:

A firm offer of 20k will see  the keys handed over.......

And that is seriously good value!

Agree. If it was in Brisbane or Sydney it would be sold. 

9 minutes ago, Alcatraz5768 said:

buy the hick and a powerboat for the missus  

That's an instant divorce idea...

1 minute ago, Doh ! said:

What’s the go with the Melb Mumm 36 listed @ $70 k - last I looked it was @ 55k ? (Reverse psychology!?) 

Maybe the broker saw my interest in Corum on this thread and got hopeful. However they totally missed the posts discussing the mods to Corum and the lack of mods with the local boat. 

42 minutes ago, hoppy said:

Maybe the broker saw my interest in Corum on this thread and got hopeful. However they totally missed the posts discussing the mods to Corum and the lack of mods with the local boat. 

Offer 45k for the local one & just live with it. Would suck if someone bought Corum down your way though. 

7 minutes ago, SCANAS said:

Offer 45k for the local one & just live with it. Would suck if someone bought Corum down your way though. 

It's one thing to live with a racer that has runners but it's a very different thing to have a boat where you live in fear of getting the runners wrong...

1 hour ago, Ease the sheet. said:

A firm offer of 20k will see  the keys handed over.......

And that is seriously good value!

Hoppy don't jump at that your not serious and jerking everyone's chain. Tell the missus you got it for $30k and give her $5k to go shopping and the other $5k you keep hidden in the sock drawer for unforseens. She might even buy you some new christening gear for it, though don't hold your breath, Jimmy Choo shoes cost  a bomb.

1 hour ago, hoppy said:

I'd rather Toecutter... It already has the most important piece of kit fitted...

https://yachthub.com/list/yachts-for-sale/used/sail-monohulls/hick-31/187059

10_4.jpg

Toecutter has two shitters the dumper & the Buhk!

How long has that Mumm36 rig been standing, coupla sections & two hose clamps & she's ace. 

Toecutter is a better boat, but add the difference to anna and you end up with something pretty special for the price, and definitely better value. As an added bonus  when its time to sell, anna will not depreciate like Toecutter.

Either boat will get you a dish or two.

4 hours ago, jack_sparrow said:

Hoppy don't jump at that your not serious and jerking everyone's chain. Tell the missus you got it for $30k and give her $5k to go shopping and the other $5k you keep hidden in the sock drawer for unforseens. She might even buy you some new christening gear for it, though don't hold your breath, Jimmy Choo shoes cost  a bomb.

I hear Jimmy Choo do a nice line of deck shoes...

On 7/12/2018 at 12:08 PM, hoppy said:

If I drop the mast, will my DIY job give the insurance company an out opportunity?

no wonder today’s young are the most useless and helpless generation to walk the planet.

ask kids they have helicopter parents babying them and when they “grow up” it’s the government making sure they don’t suffer ouchies...

How useless will the next generations be? The best hope for them is if the world portrayed in the movie “the matrix” becomes true.

grumpy old man rant over....

we are doomed - time to spend the kid's (or dog's) inheritence

How would that Hick go with a tiller pilot? I assume tippy for solo but are they 'Generally' well balanced ie. a candidate for solo? 

9 hours ago, SCANAS said:

How would that Hick go with a tiller pilot? I assume tippy for solo but are they 'Generally' well balanced ie. a candidate for solo? 

Ive sailed on the boat, 3 up in 8 to 12  knots. Didn't seem tippy but it wasnt blowing a gale. I understand that the keel is hollow and set up so it's easy to add weight.

Water ballast?

• Like 1

18 hours ago, SCANAS said:

Which one, Anna/Lizard or Lunchcutter?

On 7/14/2018 at 11:23 AM, Bill E Goat said:

Tell him he is dreaming - $193k for a Sydney 36 !!

https://www.yoti.com.au/listing/sydney-36-cr-aileron

Isn't this the Syd 36cr that sat at Queenscliff Marina VIC for years doing SFA?

It must have the optional all titanium fastenings, on-board Jacuzzi and a custom Unobtainium keel with solid platinum keel bolts to expect $193k. 

Nothing special in the specs listed for the boat; you don't have to look far to see that many of them  had  that level of options.

Had to giggle at their description of the NEW mainsail... made in 2011!  Seriously?

You would think they would have taken the photos with the good sails rather than the shit ones.  But it does have a TV and won a regatta 10 years ago

But they are a great boat and we love our family's one

37 minutes ago, Last Post said:

Isn't this the Syd 36cr that sat at Queenscliff Marina VIC for years doing SFA?

It must have the optional all titanium fastenings, on-board Jacuzzi and a custom Unobtainium keel with solid platinum keel bolts to expect $193k. 

Nothing special in the specs listed for the boat; you don't have to look far to see that many of them  had  that level of options.

Had to giggle at their description of the NEW mainsail... made in 2011!  Seriously?

There must be a typo, the price should be $93K which would qualify as a boat to be considered for this thread!

13 hours ago, Chucky said:

There must be a typo, the price should be $93K which would qualify as a boat to be considered for this thread!

Nope. Not in Melbourne so it's off the list.