hoppy

Club/offshore racers in Aus up to $80k AUD

1 hour ago, lydia said:

You have had multiple ratings with ims and ORCI for course types just not used in oz

I've seen that on ORCi certs, but no one cares about ORCi here, IRC is king

1 hour ago, lydia said:

The aim is not to beat the other boat but to beat the vpp for your boat by more than the other boat beats his vpp

Are you serious? If your S38 has a slightly lower handicap than another in the fleet, are you happy to lose to them by a few boat lengths because you know you will have beaten them on handicap? That might be a good excuse it in the clubhouse after, but on your boat I bet you will be disappointed. ;)

If we have different vpp's for course types and weather, then you have more chances.

2 hours ago, hoppy said:

If we have different vpp's for course types and weather, then you have more chances.

Hoppy

Thats great in theory and in a ideal world let’s go for it. 

The problem that I see is what happens if the wrong VPP’s are chosen or who will choose the VPP’s to be used for that days racing. One Boat may have more of a advantage over others  or be disadvantaged depending on the VPP’s used. The only program that I think works well and fair is Top Yacht when it’s left to work over the season and it’s not played with by the handicapper or race Committee.

pulpit 

On 7/24/2018 at 8:33 AM, Last Post said:

FFS Hoppy, just buy a fucking boat, any fucking boat, so we can close this interminable thread.

On 7/24/2018 at 8:39 AM, hoppy said:

Thank's LP, you have made up my mind, I'm going to keep this thread alive even after I have bought a new boat, whenever that may be 

Hoppy buy a fuckin boat, any boat OR stop rooting you wife's sister and feeling guilty..you can't do both. This thread is fuckin bizzare and like some form of online therapy because you don't have health insurance to get the real deal, a decent shrink or a broker.

• Like 1

So Jack, what's the average time it takes you to buy a boat? 

1 hour ago, hoppy said:

So Jack, what's the average time it takes you to buy a boat? 

25 boats as a fraction of the years I was not dependant on alcohol I think that equals 5 minutes to write a cheque. So my suggestion is you get off the wife's sister, man up and start drinking.

On 7/28/2018 at 1:32 PM, hoppy said:

Racing is how you are sailing and not how you are handicapped.  When there are 4 or 5 boats trying to round the mark, using the racing rules to their advantage, then you are most definitely racing.

PHD racing is as valid as throwing a dart at a dart board to determine the winner by entry number. Measured handicap racing is much more sophisticated in that you pay an organising body an inordinate amount of cash to use their computer to throw the dart.

Let me know when you next round a mark in a bunch of 4-5 boats just how many of those skippers even know what the mark rounding rules are, let alone how to (legally) take advantage of them. You are not racing, you are cruising in company and largely ignorant company at that.

On 7/29/2018 at 9:06 AM, hoppy said:

Are you serious? If your S38 has a slightly lower handicap than another in the fleet, are you happy to lose to them by a few boat lengths because you know you will have beaten them on handicap? That might be a good excuse it in the clubhouse after, but on your boat I bet you will be disappointed. ;)

No way would I be disappointed. If they have a  bigger spinnaker or whatever and they finish without enough lead to hold their time on rating, obviously we've done better.  If I was on my fast boat and your cruiser finished close enough to beat me on rating, I'd have lost and I'd congratulate you for doing better, rather than thinking you should be disappointed in any way. If you're racing for IRC or ORC, finishing first is irrelevant and means no more than finishing ahead of a Careel 18 in a TP52.

Here you go, your $80k should buy this: https://yachthub.com/list/yachts-for-sale/used/sail-monohulls/nelson-marek-43-quest-race-ready-massive-price-reduction/219628

Good pedigree and race history, Bruce Nelson of Nelson-Marek is a particularly close friend of the Editor of S A.

Lots of new or recent shit, engine replaced, rigging replaced. Sails still OK.

Will beat up on most of the boats at your club and still has enough oomph about it to attract the best of the Squaddy bar-fly talent to race with you.

For Hoppy it has to have an electric toilet.

24 minutes ago, Last Post said:

Here you go, your $80k should buy this: https://yachthub.com/list/yachts-for-sale/used/sail-monohulls/nelson-marek-43-quest-race-ready-massive-price-reduction/219628

Good pedigree and race history, Bruce Nelson of Nelson-Marek is a particularly close friend of the Editor of S A.

Will beat up on most of the boats at your club and still has enough oomph about it to attract the best of the Squaddy bar-fly talent to race with you.

I totally agree on all points...

6 minutes ago, DtM said:

For Hoppy it has to have an electric toilet.

My Jeanneau had manual, so that's not a problem.

7 minutes ago, SCANAS said:

3m draft! 

Certainly an issue at RMYS.

At 43ft, the price of sails and other gear will be going through the roof. As a syndicate boat it would be a good option but not as a boat for one owner. 

and, what Jack says....

27 minutes ago, jack_sparrow said:

Windex will be the wrong colour.

I give up. Hoppy, buy a fucking caravan and join the grey nomads. More your speed I think.

No mooring or draft issues, no rating issues, electric toilets are pretty much standard issue these days, plus you get to hang around with like minded old farts who know fuck all about yacht racing, whats not to like? 

• Like 2

I always liked that boat. But considering its 25yrs old in a couple of months & a pretty big powerful boat I don't think it fits the description. As a comparison SMB1 was 80k 5yrs ago, slightly newer & in very good condition. 

On 7/31/2018 at 4:16 PM, Last Post said:

Someone put the band back together here's its big brother. 

https://yachthub.com/list/yachts-for-sale/used/sail-monohulls/nelson-marek-46/220127

26 minutes ago, jack_sparrow said:

I'm starting to think Scanas you and Hoppy are locked in some dream factory where even micro thin wallets are an optional extra.

If if that were true would not be buying 20yr old race boats!

11 minutes ago, SCANAS said:

If if that were true would not be buying 20yr old race boats!

Scan a "thin wallet" 20yo race boat buy goes to "medium fat" in a blink of an eye if serious. That purchase/campaign  rule has existed since the turn of both the last century and one before it, the latter which only involved wood but included the owners wife making cucumber sandwiches.

1 hour ago, Couta said:

Hoppy, I threw this one around a few starting lines back in the day....and it was a weapon. The most manoeuvrable boat of its size I'd ever experienced...in pre-start it could throw bowmen off the deck and owners off the runners!! Good times!

https://yachthub.com/list/yachts-for-sale/used/sail-monohulls/nelson-marek-46/220127

I think Hoppy's original plan was to spend $80k or thereabouts on his next boat, not $80k a year with his sail maker.

1 hour ago, Couta said:

Hoppy, I threw this one around a few starting lines back in the day....and it was a weapon. The most manoeuvrable boat of its size I'd ever experienced...in pre-start it could throw bowmen off the deck and owners off the runners!! Good times!

42 minutes ago, Last Post said:

I think Hoppy's original plan was to spend $80k or thereabouts on his next boat, not $80k a year with his sail maker.

Does not look like a good live aboard.

Because that's what I would need after being kicked out of home by the missus for spending so much money on a boat.... ;)

• Like 2

2 hours ago, p5527 said:

As a former C12 jockey I'd say that of the two Cookson 12s Voodoo is likely the better boat.  The last ever Cookson 12 built.  Could be tweaked to rate better and could be pretty competitive - see Grace O'Malley results, those two C12s are pretty similar in configuration.  Philosophers is over-ballasted IMHO and seems to struggle to sail to is rating in many conditions, it's close to 500kg over design displacement and despite big spinnakers is pretty slow downwind as a result.  That said, it's a weapon upwind in any sort of reasonable pressure which is normally a bit of a C12 weakness, and alternmately, it would be easy enough to shave the bulb down. 

Quest was very well maintained until it left Sydney a little while back, but IIRC it didn't do much handicap racing in its latter years so hard to tell how competitive it is these days.  No idea how different it is from its original IMS ocnfiguration as far as displacement and stability go.  The rig, however, is much newer than the boat and reflects more modern thinking.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, DickDastardly said:

As a former C12 jockey I'd say that of the two Cookson 12s Voodoo is likely the better boat.  The last ever Cookson 12 built.  Could be tweaked to rate better and could be pretty competitive - see Grace O'Malley results, those two C12s are pretty similar in configuration.  Philosophers is over-ballasted IMHO and seems to struggle to sail to is rating in many conditions, it's close to 500kg over design displacement and despite big spinnakers is pretty slow downwind as a result.  That said, it's a weapon upwind in any sort of reasonable pressure which is normally a bit of a C12 weakness, and alternmately, it would be easy enough to shave the bulb down. 

Quest was very well maintained until it left Sydney a little while back, but IIRC it didn't do much handicap racing in its latter years so hard to tell how competitive it is these days.  No idea how different it is from its original IMS ocnfiguration as far as displacement and stability go.  The rig, however, is much newer than the boat and reflects more modern thinking.

Philosophers went that way for S2H reasons no?

1 hour ago, Hold Fast said:

Philosophers went that way for S2H reasons no?

I think it was that way when Sorro bought it.  He put a bigger fat head main on IIRC

20 hours ago, DickDastardly said:

As a former C12 jockey I'd say that of the two Cookson 12s Voodoo is likely the better boat.  The last ever Cookson 12 built.  Could be tweaked to rate better and could be pretty competitive - see Grace O'Malley results, those two C12s are pretty similar in configuration. 

I hear that Voodoo is now sold to the second bidder from Sydney who was also after it......

21 hours ago, DickDastardly said:

If I had the money (win powerball) I'd happily buy the "slow" Cookson 12. I would then commission Jason Kerr to design a new keel, rig and anything else to modernise it and bring it up to 2018.

Then in topyacht I'd put the "design" as a  Farr/Kerr 12 :)

• Like 1

Hoppy,

I want you to take this thread seriously.   We all are !!!!

21 minutes ago, hoppy said:

If I had the money (win powerball) I'd happily buy the "slow" Cookson 12. I would then commission Jason Kerr to design a new keel, rig and anything else to modernise it and bring it up to 2018.

you could call the boat "noaf".

23 minutes ago, hoppy said:

If you bought a Mumm 36 and had a Ker fin package you could call it a MummFarrKer

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rawhide said:

If you bought a Mumm 36 and had a Ker fin package you could call it a MummFarrKer

If you took, say, a Ker 40, and had Juan alphabet warm it over you'd have a JuanKer 40

• Like 2

3 hours ago, 42 South said:

I hear that Voodoo is now sold to the second bidder from Sydney who was also after it......

Good news, assuming Philosophers stays in town there will be 5 of them to play together.  

3 hours ago, DickDastardly said:

If you took, say, a Ker 40, and had Juan alphabet warm it over you'd have a JuanKer 40

Alternatively you could get Hugh Welbourne and Bruce Nelson to trick out the Ker.

You’d still have a Welbourne And Nelson Ker, but it would be a better boat.

1 hour ago, greasy al said:

Alternatively you could get Hugh Welbourne and Bruce Nelson to trick out the Ker.

You’d still have a Welbourne And Nelson Ker, but it would be a better boat.

why not Welbourne, Farr and Ker.

Hugh Farr Ker.

• Like 2

On 8/7/2018 at 6:02 PM, DickDastardly said:

I think it was that way when Sorro bought it.  He put a bigger fat head main on IIRC

He never got that boat to go like he did with the Syd 36. Came to Melbourne in January 2017 and got flogged, sailed well below par for him and got DSQd from 2 consecutive races in Geelong, then went out and won the next race easily before dropping rapidly from the heights again after that. Angry man and angry crew in that particular regatta. Don't think it was the boat, those C40s are weapons when they get it right. Collective time-of-the-month?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, TUBBY said:

You might have missed that one. SOLD!

They should probably update the ad. Staying in WA?

12 hours ago, Last Post said:

He never got that boat to go like he did with the Syd 36. Came to Melbourne in January 2017 and got flogged, sailed well below par for him and got DSQd from 2 consecutive races in Geelong, then went out and won the next race easily before dropping rapidly from the heights again after that. Angry man and angry crew in that particular regatta. Don't think it was the boat, those C40s are weapons when they get it right. Collective time-of-the-month?

Sooo now you are a better sailor than Sorro as well as not having to wank since your teens. You are the gift that just keeps giving princess. I am glad you have decided to start stalking me. Randumb was getting pretty dull.

16 minutes ago, LB 15 said:

Sooo now you are a better sailor than Sorro as well as not having to wank since your teens. You are the gift that just keeps giving princess. I am glad you have decided to start stalking me. Randumb was getting pretty dull.

LB 

I think that Last Post needs to be carefull making claims about if he wanks or not. Afterall legend Australian Kevin Bloody Wilson wrote a song about that.  It’s called “ I gave Up Wanking” 

pulpit 

2 hours ago, SCANAS said:

They should probably update the ad. Staying in WA?

No. Heading back to Sydney I'm told.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, duncan (the other one) said:

1 hour ago, DickDastardly said:

If we're doing TISM (all hail their genius!!

It's disappointing that TISM retired. Great band...

• Like 1

Hmmmm can't get my avatar gif to work....

It's supposed to reflect what's being going through my mind in the last 12 months

i-dcfn4M7-Ti.gif

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hoppy said:

Hmmmm can't get my avatar gif to work....

It's supposed to reflect what's being going through my mind in the last 12 months

I think Last is in the same boat.

unnamed (8).gif

1 hour ago, jack_sparrow said:

I think Last is in the same boat.

unnamed (8).gif

Looks like Last when he's thinking about LB

14 minutes ago, Ease the sheet. said:

I thought leatherman might be you but the bulge is way too big.

I'm more of a latex guy, but I gotta stop having baked beans before I get dressed up.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQD8bZWcDAz9v3yg6vpMAj

Agree, price is a bit over the top but new single spreader mast boom & sails. Rates well & unlike some of the monsters posted 1.8m draft & cheaper to run. 

60-65k?

3 minutes ago, SCANAS said:

Agree, price is a bit over the top but new single spreader mast boom & sails. Rates well & unlike some of the monsters posted 1.8m draft & cheaper to run. 

60-65k?

Those mods are good but probably don't add value other than making it a top end R950.

If you want to modify a yacht and recover your modification investment, then the best mod is to add extra ballast in the form of 24k old bars :)

7 hours ago, hoppy said:

Those mods are good but probably don't add value other than making it a top end R950.

If you want to modify a yacht and recover your modification investment, then the best mod is to add extra ballast in the form of 24k old bars :)

The owner of that boat has a long history of preparing boats & getting good results, you could be assured it was all very carefully considered & has the best stuff possible. So it's probably worth more than you want to pay for it. For eg that Elliot weighs more than the 950. 

Hoppy you have no idea do you

robbo would have spent close to 80k  on the rig alone. It would owe him at least 150k

actually a great club racer

• Like 1

Pretty much ideal boat for the bay & qld coastal. 

33 minutes ago, lydia said:

This was established months ago, he just likes the talk & idea of owning a race.

On 8/9/2018 at 8:04 AM, LB 15 said:

Grasping at straws? How the fuck you can read in to my post that I have claimed to be a better sailor than Sorro is beyond comprehension. What I clearly wrote was that he had a bad regatta by his usually high standards, nothing more. Plenty of others saw the same thing unfold and it was a topic of conversation at that regatta. 

I guess we shouldn't expect any more than drivel from an internet keyboard warrior who invites other blokes to suck him off in a beer tent. Time to up your Meds sunshine.

51 minutes ago, Gorn FRANTIC!! said:

This was established months ago, he just likes the talk & idea of owning a race.

It was only 2 months ago that I sold my Jeanneau.

I'd be an idiot to rush off to buy the first racer i've seen. A lot of these boats are quite long in the teeth and take a long time to sell, quite a few first mentioned in this thread are still listed for sale. I accept that for my budget and size requirements, I am going to be buying an old boat and given that it will be hard to sell, I want to make sure that what ever I buy I will not be wanting to trade up from in a short period of time.

It's winter and not a good time to deliver an interstate boat, so I'm in no rush. Maybe I will miss the occasional good boat, but I will buy a boat when I find the right boat and I will pay a price for that boat that I am happy to pay. If the seller is not happy with the maximum amount I'm willing to pay, then I will walk away and not let emotion or desperation cause me to offer a cent more.

This thread has achieved it's primary purpose, convince me that I can sell my Jeanneau and find a club/ocean racer in the $80k price range and be happy with the "downgrade".

You and anyone else who don't like that I have not rushed into buying a boat can quite frankly fuck off and ignore this thread. No one is forcing you to visit it or post.

1 hour ago, lydia said:

robbo would have spent close to 80k  on the rig alone. It would owe him at least 150k

actually a great club racer

It's probably good, I wouldn't know and don't really care. It's too small for my requirements, i.e. cat 3 & 2 bass strait races.

If I wanted a 30 footer for just club races in the bay, then I would be crazy to spend nearly $90k on a small boat that I have to get from Queensland when I have the Hicks Toecutter and Anna 5 nm away from me for less than half price or the Elliott a couple of hours drive from me and a couple of days sail. 

The Hicks would be very competitive in my club and whilst it feels way too small, Toecutter has a S2H history and would be fine to break out into Bass Strait if we were feeling brave (but probably not). The Elliott would probably be a fun and fast boat for it's size for a price that most people lose when they sell the boat they bought for $80k a few years earlier.

Hell, if I wanted a souped up bay racer that's had a fortune spent on it then this will be better value. 

https://yachthub.com/list/yachts-for-sale/used/sail-monohulls/adams-10-everything/215553

Given that Adams 10's are competitive in IRC here, it's possibly the best IRC racer I could get under $100k. 

Maybe I'd even get Sportscar to crew the odd race and reminisce 

1 hour ago, Last Post said:

Grasping at straws? How the fuck you can read in to my post that I have claimed to be a better sailor than Sorro is beyond comprehension. What I clearly wrote was that he had a bad regatta by his usually high standards, nothing more. Plenty of others saw the same thing unfold and it was a topic of conversation at that regatta. 

I guess we shouldn't expect any more than drivel from an internet keyboard warrior who invites other blokes to suck him off in a beer tent. Time to up your Meds sunshine.

Wait...I thought you said you didn’t need to wank any more buttercup?  So why be a back flipping wanker on here? And like I said I appreciate the stalking attention, but I gotta get some work done before Hammo. Really hopeing to catch up with you there. Are you going? You seem to be a little shy about who you are sailing with up there. (:

8 minutes ago, LB 15 said:

Wait...I thought you said you didn’t need to wank any more buttercup?  So why be a back flipping wanker on here? And like I said I appreciate the stalking attention, but I gotta get some work done before Hammo. Really hopeing to catch up with you there. Are you going? You seem to be a little shy about who you are sailing with up there. (:

These off topic bitch fights are what makes SA so special :D

elIXl5B.gif

giphy-13.gif

That is why I farking love this place. I don't know what I did to set him off but I do enjoy having a new gimp in the basement. Randumb eats too much.

18 minutes ago, LB 15 said:

That is why I farking love this place. I don't know what I did to set him off but I do enjoy having a new gimp in the basement. Randumb eats too much.

Yeah, I know. He seem to be quite useful to have posting on this thread until he recently started getting on the rag. Maybe it's a side affect of his recent Sphincteroplasty.

2 minutes ago, hoppy said:

Yeah, I know. He seem to be quite useful to have posting on this thread until he recently started getting on the rag. Maybe it's a side affect of his recent Sphincteroplasty.

I don't get it either. We used to enjoy a good laugh together but he has had a dune of sand in his panties lately. I hope everything in his life is ok....Fuck. Maybe that was his sister? No couldn't be. She was quite attractive and had all her own teeth.

1 minute ago, LB 15 said:

I don't get it either. We used to enjoy a good laugh together but he has had a dune of sand in his panties lately. I hope everything in his life is ok....Fuck. Maybe that was his sister? No couldn't be. She was quite attractive and had all her own teeth.

Or maybe his mother...

LB, before the Keppel race, did you shag the one on the right and not call "her" the next day as promised? That would certainly explain everything....

DSC1382-1024x579.jpg

23 minutes ago, LB 15 said:

There's a few cranky ones from down south mate. Must be the weather!

The internet is an odd place...

30 minutes ago, SCANAS said:

There's a few cranky ones from down south mate. Must be the weather!

Shittist weather in living memory.  I've spent so much time with non sailors this winter that I'm starting to shower without even being asked.

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, Ease the sheet. said:

Shittist weather in living memory.  I've spent so much time with non sailors this winter that I'm starting to shower without even being asked.

It's not so bad.

The problem is that that clubs have grown vagina's and cancel races at the mere suggestion that there will be a puff of breeze. Quite often when there's a gale warning put out for the bay and the races are cancelled, the gales are only happening at the south end of the bay. 

Regardless, if you have a boat that is ocean racing or cruising capable, you should be able to sale in gale force conditions, especially when it's a northerly and you are in the top of the bay. Fuck, I used to island hop solo in Greece when if was a F9 and I was going from anchorage to anchorage.

My only concern about racing in a gale was getting in to my pen without playing dogems, but that was more of an issue in southerlies than northerlies.