hoppy

Club/offshore racers in Aus up to $80k AUD

On 5/5/2018 at 3:49 PM, hoppy said:

Just noticed that the very neat modified Elliott 10.5 Squealer has had a big price drop.

It's still listed on yachthub for 115k NZ but on the NZ site it's only 100k NZ. Perhaps it could be gotten for 80k nz which after paying Aus GST would be around 80k AUD

https://yachthub.com/list/yachts-for-sale/used/sail-monohulls/elliott-10-5/204611

https://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/boats-marine/yachts/keeler/auction-1615542707.htm?rsqid=88ae84c5eb9f46409de631c617d651e8

779141830.jpg

779145863.jpg

779145263.jpg

Just brought this bus. Half shares with a good mate(my same crew as the Sunfast 3600 and many other boats). Race program is centered around the Round NZ 2 handed race in Feb and Round north island 2 handed 2020. 

The lads are delivering it 700nm up the coast from the south island to Auckland right now.

I'm still in Tonga awaiting a weather window to complete my last mission from France to NZ family style then straight into race boat prep.  Got a fair bit to do....

• Like 7

6 minutes ago, BooBoo said:

Just brought this bus. Half shares with a good mate(my same crew as the Sunfast 3600 and many other boats). Race program is centered around the Round NZ 2 handed race in Feb and Round north island 2 handed 2020. 

The lads are delivering it 700nm up the coast from the south island to Auckland right now.

I'm still in Tonga awaiting a weather window to complete my last mission from France to NZ family style then straight into race boat prep.  Got a fair bit to do....

Back already! Do you reckon you’ll make any $ on the cruiser? 

17 minutes ago, BooBoo said:

Congrats, looks like a sweet ride. I had noticed it had disappeared from trademe, so I assumed it had been sold and then saw an update on the Squealer's FB page that it was being delivered. The PO has forgotten to take it off Yachthub over here.

Lets just say it's all worked out beautifully. 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, BooBoo said:

Well done. 

On 9/19/2018 at 9:06 PM, BooBoo said:

The adventure continues. Best of luck with the new program.

2 minutes ago, Next Level said:

Hobart material?

For sure!

Entering the CYCA Syd-Hob race ... no idea sorry. 

2 hours ago, Next Level said:

Hobart material?

I think a few have done at least one.  One called "Mem" famously lost its owner overboard for 8 hours or so one Hobart race.  ORCi certs suggest some do have LPS over 115 and some don't, but the ones that are sub 115 are fairly close.

Certainly Southern Cross Television did a Hobart but sure they make 115 AVS now.

On 9/24/2018 at 11:28 AM, SCANAS said:

Saw it a while back and it does look like the best J/35. However not for me. I want an open transom for easy access. 

On that note, due to the listing of the Sydney 32 Onyx, I visited a Sydney 32 at my club and had a look on board to get a feel for them. I was not keen on the one size fit's all wheel. It's ok on a S38 but makes movement past it on the 32 a little too challenging. The S32 is a bit small for my liking. I later heard from the S32 owner that their may be someone from Melbourne heading up to view Onyx.

I spent the day watching a survey getting done on my uncle/crew's new boat. So I have less of a rush to buy and can drag this thread out for a lot longer   :P

The hick looks like good buying. NSX prob more up your alley. Davidson 34’ - tell him he’s dreamin’ 

9 minutes ago, SCANAS said:

The hick looks like good buying. NSX prob more up your alley. Davidson 34’ - tell him he’s dreamin’ 

The Hick is a bit of a old design, not as sweet as the later Hick 30's. At the start of this thread it was mentioned that the NSX38 is slower than the NSX36. NO THANKS

3 hours ago, SCANAS said:

What’s the issue with the Davidson? Design or price in this instance?

11 hours ago, hoppy said:

The Hick is a bit of a old design, not as sweet as the later Hick 30's. At the start of this thread it was mentioned that the NSX38 is slower than the NSX36. NO THANKS

Price. Would think 25-30k top of the tree price considering it has a new engine, that’s if it had a good, recent inventory. 

22 minutes ago, greasy al said:

That’s a pretty fucking cool S2H shot of the Davidson. Sweet looking boat, be nice to pick up cheap and embarrass some bigger budget programs.

I agree mate. She looks like a sweet little boat for the money. I wonder if her stability specs would still meet the safety requirements for the Hobart today? Anyone in the know?

On 9/19/2018 at 8:45 PM, BooBoo said:

Congratulations Booboo, great purchase, allthough I am a little biased. 

9 hours ago, Next Level said:

I agree mate. She looks like a sweet little boat for the money. I wonder if her stability specs would still meet the safety requirements for the Hobart today? Anyone in the know?

Where were all you guys when Invader was for sale last year for 25k having had a refit in 2011! 

Illusion sailed 2012 & 2013 but I have no idea if it is the same. 

Raucous was also good buying a couple years back with a new keel for around 40k from memory. 

4 hours ago, SCANAS said:

Where were all you guys when Invader was for sale last year for 25k having had a refit in 2011! 

Illusion sailed 2012 & 2013 but I have no idea if it is the same. 

Raucous was also good buying a couple years back with a new keel for around 40k from memory. 

Invader was immaculate too and where were the buyers? ‘Twas a bargain that one.

1 hour ago, Alcatraz5768 said:

congrats boo boo. nice to get another fast 35'er in Auckland. 

Thanks mate, looking forward to getting into it.

Hows work going on your boat? Launching anytime soon? 

14 hours ago, Magool said:

Congratulations Booboo, great purchase, allthough I am a little biased. 

Congrats on your upgrade. Elna Nova looks like a cool boat and I like the graphic for Insomnia. Much better name too, inspired by your kids?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, BooBoo said:

Thanks mate, looking forward to getting into it.

Hows work going on your boat? Launching anytime soon? 

whoa whoa whoa. what are you bringing up the old shit for bro. hopefully before xmas. 

Hoppy, you have to expand your horizons past Melbourne.  Delivery is not nearly as difficult as you have built it up to be.

11 minutes ago, DtM said:

Hoppy, you have to expand your horizons past Melbourne.  Delivery is not nearly as difficult as you have built it up to be.

Haven't you worked it out yet? If the boat isn't if the new boat isn't in the pen next to where the old one was it's too far away and won't be considered.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, DtM said:

39 minutes ago, Gorn FRANTIC!! said:

Haven't you worked it out yet? If the boat isn't if the new boat isn't in the pen next to where the old one was it's too far away and won't be considered.

funny guys...

I delivered my Jeanneau from Newcastle. East coast deliveries fine now that winter is over. 

Anyway i was at Hastings this week watching a survey and having a test sail. Next weekend it will be a delivery sail to RMYS and a pen just up from where my old boat is still moored.

20 hours ago, hoppy said:

Congrats on your upgrade. Elna Nova looks like a cool boat and I like the graphic for Insomnia. Much better name too, inspired by your kids?

Partially to do with the kids, a progression of High Anxiety and a good song

On 9/26/2018 at 7:11 PM, SCANAS said:

Scan, I think Raucous went for well under that in the end.  Needed some new sails, but still very good buying.

• Like 1

High Anxiety at $49k just seems like an awesome deal. Assuming she is still current/near Cat 2, will she get Cat 1?

So how many boats has this thread talked up and sold?

1 hour ago, random said:

So how many boats has this thread talked up and sold?

I've wondered that also. Maybe I should be getting a commission from brokers for starting and maintaining this thread.

43 minutes ago, hoppy said:

I've wondered that also. Maybe I should be getting a commission from brokers for starting and maintaining this thread.

I have just assumed that you were.

52 minutes ago, Alcatraz5768 said:

Or maybe you should just buy a fucking boat. 

I'll buy when I find a boat that excites me and is priced to my satisfaction, not just to shut up moaners on SA.

Anyway one of your cuntrymen fucked me up by buying and exporting my no.1 choice at the same time Sportscar was selling my Jeanneau.

2 hours ago, hoppy said:

In your dreams sunshine :P

21 minutes ago, SPORTSCAR said:

In your dreams sunshine :P

I'm sure I must deserve a commission for Toecutters sale ;)

10 hours ago, Jono said:

High Anxiety at $49k just seems like an awesome deal. Assuming she is still current/near Cat 2, will she get Cat 1?

Have PM'd you details

On 9/25/2018 at 7:49 PM, hoppy said:

The davo 34 was in Hobart for a few years. The guy who had her spent a lot of money on her and had her in really good condition. He sold her and bought the inglis 39 that he renamed to Shes the Culprit. The boat still looked in pretty good nick for what it was when I had a look on board about 2 years ago, but I believe her trip north from Hobart for its (then) new owner was "interesting" (i.e. was abandoned off the east coast of Tasmania after the owner got scared)... 

3 hours ago, Weyalan said:

The davo 34 was in Hobart for a few years. The guy who had her spent a lot of money on her and had her in really good condition. He sold her and bought the inglis 39 that he renamed to Shes the Culprit. The boat still looked in pretty good nick for what it was when I had a look on board about 2 years ago, but I believe her trip north from Hobart for its (then) new owner was "interesting" (i.e. was abandoned off the east coast of Tasmania after the owner got scared)... 

He didn't deserve it then, I reckon Davidson 34's have excellent manners offshore. 

9 minutes ago, shaggybaxter said:

Here ya go Hoppy, lifted from Seabreeze.

Open transom.

Has a shitter.

Good offshore.

Headroom. 

Shorthanded capable.

Competitive.

Under budget even!

https://yachthub.com/list/yachts-for-sale/used/sail-monohulls/volvo-60-give-away-price-yes-55k-for-100-ownership/204477

Thanks for the heads up. Looks perfect. Booked my flight to Sydney and ready to make an offer.

2 hours ago, shaggybaxter said:

Here ya go Hoppy, lifted from Seabreeze.

Open transom.

Has a shitter.

Good offshore.

Headroom. 

Shorthanded capable.

Competitive.

Under budget even!

https://yachthub.com/list/yachts-for-sale/used/sail-monohulls/volvo-60-give-away-price-yes-55k-for-100-ownership/204477

now that you've confirmed its short handed capable i'm in , sorry hoppy , i've put a deposit down. see you ladies in hobart !

42 minutes ago, bigrpowr said:

now that you've confirmed its short handed capable i'm in , sorry hoppy , i've put a deposit down. see you ladies in hobart !

Crap... lucky I did not board the flight before reading your past. 

3 hours ago, bigrpowr said:

Hope you have allowed for a $bazillion to re rig it and another small fairly sizable fortune to replace some or all of the sails. You're looking at a bottomless pit right there.

Maybe Dennis, "the wold famous sailor"  Connor might be interested in taking her back for old times sake?

Its been a hazard to all in the upper harbour for years ,its always looked like a good boat as long as your a fair distance away . When was the last time it sailed ?? ,Hoppy  ,please buy a boat !!

Might be destined for the Whitsundays. I would totally own it if it wasn’t for that nanny state insurance thing. 

2 hours ago, SCANAS said:

Might be destined for the Whitsundays. I would totally own it if it wasn’t for that nanny state insurance thing. 

Heard it wen't for 40k and is accommodation for some guys working on westconnex construction project

• Like 1

13 hours ago, SCANAS said:

That shitboxes is at least 200k away from legally letting any smelly Eurotrash park their hairy arses on its bird shit covered decks.

20 hours ago, SPORTSCAR said:

Hope you have allowed for a $bazillion to re rig it and another small fairly sizable fortune to replace some or all of the sails. You're looking at a bottomless pit right there.

Maybe Dennis, "the wold famous sailor"  Connor might be interested in taking her back for old times sake?

i plan to use it for an ice breaker in the arctic. the rigging can fuck off .

I’ll buy it. It’s pissing down, and the kids in the street are having leaf boat races down the gutters. The kid that’s winning is a little turd. 

I’m gunna bring a small megaton warhead to a knife fight. 

How 'bout this one?

https://www.38southboatsales.com.au/listing/thompson-t-980-sports-racer-2

What's the goss?

On 10/11/2018 at 4:14 AM, Jethrow said:

I did look at this boat (from across the pond) - ask Sportscar for details.  The boat looks like it needs a fair bit of help to get back to bristol condition.  Be aware that not all of the pics in the ad are recent.  If I was local I would seriously consider the boat but when you factor in shipping to the US it just doesn't make sense

14 hours ago, olaf hart said:

Know the boat and owner, it’s a one owner, not raced much, nice boat in good nick.

https://yachthub.com/list/yachts-for-sale/used/sail-monohulls/murray-burns-dovell-bashford-howison-sydney-36/219429

Hoppy if you don’t buy this then you are full of shit. 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, LB 15 said:

it does look like a great boat for the money .

1 hour ago, LB 15 said:

I'm full of shit regardless of what I do.... 

no thanks.. 

27_4.jpg

bout time you shit or get off the pot hoppy .

• Like 1

Neither of them are in the berth next to Hoppy's old boat so NOOOOO

• Like 1

6 hours ago, hoppy said:

I'm full of shit regardless of what I do.... 

no thanks.. 

27_4.jpg

This looks like the original masthead rig of the earlier models. ( look up “ Local Hero” ) Virtually bullet proof - no runners but normally check stays, like J 35. Nothing to be feared hear. 

F8E6527B-99D0-41D9-BACD-AE00C3AAAC6D.png

6 hours ago, hoppy said:

Yes, a way better MBD36

Ex Swordfish Trombone, ex Chutzpah. Carbon rig retrofitted as S T. 

Local Hero has a pretty impressive run of wins at Hammo - all under the mighty skills of Pillow and his mates!

22 hours ago, SCANAS said:

Ahem - this one looks like better buying. New sails carbon rig https://www.boatsonline.com.au/boats-for-sale/used/sailing-boats/murray-burns-dovell-36/222687

Ad  text says it has a Ketch Carbon rig?? Must be a bloody short mizzen; cant see it in the photos.

2 hours ago, SPORTSCAR said:

Ad  text says it has a Ketch Carbon rig?? Must be a bloody short mizzen; cant see it in the photos.

it just proves how clueless all brokers are.....