hoppy

Club/offshore racers in Aus up to $80k AUD

Surprised that Weapon would add a pedestal.  Saw those results … not familiar with the other boats so hard to gauge.  Also, it sounds like they are still working the boat up.

Did Young Guns have good corrected finishes?

On 10/15/2018 at 5:06 PM, SPORTSCAR said:

It was in a berth at Sandringham last night so it must be bloody quick! (Only two T-980s were built and they are both at Sandringham)

My bad, I linked the wrong link... I was talking about Young Magic, linked a little further up the page. Ooops

(And Young Magic is definitely in the DSS marina, or was at 6:15am this morning at least)

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Former MDR Vandal 1 said:

Surprised that Weapon would add a pedestal.  Saw those results … not familiar with the other boats so hard to gauge.  Also, it sounds like they are still working the boat up.

Did Young Guns have good corrected finishes?

It’s not a bad idea the pedestal.

If you think about it, the grinder is always on the Center line of the boat so your not having to compensate the weight on the rail and they should be able to trim faster and longer with the grinder than hand winching. 

If you look at what they have spent builting the boat as well the cost of the pedestal  isn’t that much and it’s probably a lighter option than power winches and extra batteries. 

Pulpit

The advantage of the pedestal would be if the primaries have a turbo gear you would have a great assist in the jibes.  Also, if the pedestal linked to the pit winch (and the pit winch had a turbo gear) you could have high speed hoists and possibly string drops (they have a roller for a string drop).

Where the spin grinder is located seems to be a minimal (or even non-existent) advantage.  If on a tight reach, just transfer the spin sheet to the weather winch and now you have the grinder in a more advantageous spot for boat (heel) trim.

The disadvantages are the additional weight of the system and the fact that it takes away the advantage of a wide open cockpit by cluttering it up with the pedestal.  Wouldn’t want to buoy race with the pedestal right in the path of the on side and off side trimmers.  Also, its proximity to the companionway (yes, I realize the opening is off-set for the lifting keel) would still impede any sails coming up from below.

To me it is a pass due to weight and ergonomics but I remain open minded if there are pluses I haven’t covered.

Were more than 2 FB 35’s built?  Any idea where Young Guns is heading?

53 minutes ago, Jethrow said:

Didn't seem to be a lot of mention about going onto the rocks... :(

Yeah no mention of that but they took the time to tell us it has a TWO burner stove! 

29 minutes ago, Ease the sheet. said:

Damage on port side?

looks like it will buff out. :lol:

It's pretty crap of the auction house to not be upfront about the damage and supplying closeups. Hopefully they are offer that to everyone who contacts for more info even if they don't ask..

• Like 1

i wonder how many people will be seriously considering this boat

i knew it as Hydroflow on Auckland harbour  - was an eye turner 

any further intel on the extent of the damage?

i hope the dual burner stove was on the starboard side!   

There was footage of it being bashed into the rocks. Not pretty. 

50-80k?

There is a thread about it on Anarchy.

It sold for $21,000 last time at auction through Pickles after the grounding

Would be a sweet boat but hard to tell structurally after the pounding.

Those Elliotts are really nice boats though.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, SCANAS said:

What’s that blue hulled beast parked behind upshot?

Derucci from last years Hobart maybe?

2 minutes ago, Next Level said:

Derucci from last years Hobart maybe?

Yes, bow insignia matches. 

22 minutes ago, Next Level said:

She’s in great nick!

I wonder if the upgrades made in the last 18mths justify the $25k increase in asking price. $95k seems more like a NZ price. 

22 minutes ago, Next Level said:

i wonder how these would go against a S38.... Asylum is on the market for similar money although different condition.

I'm sure Lydia will chime in if he can be bothered.

Can't help thinking that there is a good reason why Asylum has been for sale for such a long time at a low price, even before the recent drop, Especially now that it's in Sydney

13 hours ago, hoppy said:

I wonder if the upgrades made in the last 18mths justify the $25k increase in asking price. $95k seems more like a NZ price. 

I'm sure Lydia will chime in if he can be bothered.

Can't help thinking that there is a good reason why Asylum has been for sale for such a long time at a low price, even before the recent drop, Especially now that it's in Sydney

I am thinking the same thing re both boats. Even though the Young is in great condition, 95k seems like a lot of dough! Cool boat though.

the 38 for the same money and being on the market for so long is setting the alarms bells off!

Anyone got the inside info re asylum?

its one of the first 38’s and its had a long history with both OD and offshore racing...

2 hours ago, Next Level said:

I am thinking the same thing re both boats. Even though the Young is in great condition, 95k seems like a lot of dough! Cool boat though.

the 38 for the same money and being on the market for so long is setting the alarms bells off!

its one of the first 38’s and its had a long history with both OD and offshore racing...

The sail wardrobe for Asylum sounds ok for club racing with sails that perhaps only had one season of use prior to being listed.
Doyle Regatta Main (2016), 1 x Dacron delivery main, 1 x twin reef Quantum offshore main. 1 x Doyle #2 (2016), 1 x Doyle #3 (2016), Quantum #3, Dacron delivery #3.# 4 Doyle jib. 1 x masthead Doyle Spinnaker (2016), 1 x hounds spinnaker (2012). Storm jib and trysail.

Two of the boats that had been posted here, Elliott 1050 Kick and Elliott 10.5 Squealer, now called Motorboat 2, are currently slugging it out in the Akarana 350 in NZ in the shorthanded division.

https://rayc.co.nz/akarana350/

15 hours ago, hoppy said:

Two of the boats that had been posted here, Elliott 1050 Kick and Elliott 10.5 Squealer, now called Motorboat 2, are currently slugging it out in the Akarana 350 in NZ in the shorthanded division.

https://rayc.co.nz/akarana350/

Which one did you buy again?

1 hour ago, Gorn FRANTIC!! said:

Which one did you buy again?

all of them

On 11/21/2018 at 9:10 PM, Next Level said:

She’s in great nick!

i wonder how these would go against a S38.... Asylum is on the market for similar money although different condition.

Goes good, had it cross behind us a few times. 

41 minutes ago, Third Reef said:

Hoppy,

I don’t think you have rejected Luna Sea yet, previously Midnight Rambler, 98 S2H winner?

https://www.boatsales.com.au/boats/details/1994-HICK-35/OAG-AD-16556899?pageSource=details&id=OAG-AD-16556899

3R

That would have to be the cheapest CAT1 yacht for sale. 

• Downvote 1

1 hour ago, Third Reef said:

Hoppy,

I don’t think you have rejected Luna Sea yet, previously Midnight Rambler, 98 S2H winner?

https://www.boatsales.com.au/boats/details/1994-HICK-35/OAG-AD-16556899?pageSource=details&id=OAG-AD-16556899

3R

not so keen on the inline spreaders & runners. 

10 hours ago, SCANAS said:

That would have to be the cheapest CAT1 yacht for sale. 

That boat is built like a tank. I love how Robert Hick designs the bulkhead doors to be a tight fit so they are structural when closed.(see the note on the bulk head)

• Like 1

On 11/19/2018 at 6:28 PM, Bill E Goat said:

Interesting this has popped up after ending up on the rocks on Garden Island

https://yachthub.com/list/yachts-for-sale/used/sail-monohulls/elliott-52-online-auction/225524

3 hours to go in the auction. 8 bids and $13,001

https://marineauctions.nextlot.com/public/sales/83734/lots/17883010

So with an hour to go it’s less than the insurance salvage auction????

On 11/22/2018 at 11:16 AM, Next Level said:

Asylum took a pretty big hit racing a little while back.  We went through a spate of big boats using the 38s for target practice.  :wacko:  

I have to admit I'm too inexperienced to know if that might be the reason?  (I also have to admit that my idea of a 'pretty big hit' might be someone else's, "That'll buff right out".  LOL).

$18k now

after seeing the “soft” thread, I wonder if this could be a good buy. Get a new hull and move everything over

31 minutes ago, Gorn FRANTIC!! said:

So buy it and keep us all updated on how well that works out.

I think not.

36k & 47 bids... 5min to go unless it's extended again

That would have to be the most dysfunctional interior I have ever seen.  The canting system may be reliable but ... what a shit show.

37 minutes ago, random said:

That would have to be the most dysfunctional interior I have ever seen.  The canting system may be reliable but ... what a shit show.

How do the  the interiors of your RC yachts compare?

2 minutes ago, hoppy said:
41 minutes ago, random said:

How do the  the interiors of your RC yachts compare?

I have no idea, never been in one.

But I sold a boat earlier this year for a lot more than that thing went for.

It must have had a usable interior.

15 hours ago, VOA said:

You’ve done too many cones to have ever been aboard The Cone 

Go The Cone

79731070_Coneinteriordecor.jpg.10f2159f4d2d51aa78d8734360445ae4.jpg

I still miss Tuffy

On 11/22/2018 at 11:16 AM, Next Level said:

Asylum currently parked at CYCSA. Now I'm confused.  I'll have to ask Derek...

Mumm 36 Corum is back on the market.

i thought it was only recently bought... as in last 6 months or so.

8 minutes ago, Next Level said:

Mumm 36 Corum is back on the market.

i thought it was only recently bought... as in last 6 months or so.

“The current owner is a well-respected yachtsman and is hanging up the sailing gloves having completed the last season as the fastest and most competitive boat in the club”

Crazy to think it’s 26yrs old next month!

7 minutes ago, SCANAS said:

“The current owner is a well-respected yachtsman and is hanging up the sailing gloves having completed the last season as the fastest and most competitive boat in the club”

Crazy to think it’s 26yrs old next month!

Yeah I noticed the Corum listing a little earlier. For a short while after, the old "sold" listing was still online.

It seems it went to Mooloolaba and was in a one horse race. Seems very strange to buy a boat for half a season. I can understand if someone buys a boat to do a "bucket list" race and then sell. Perhaps he realised its boring to race when there is no one who comes close to making a race of it for you?  

https://scyc.net.au/sams-results/

Nothing wrong with bringing a gun boat to knife fight, especially if you think it’ll be your last fight! 

Mate, the owner is Harry Smith.

You might want to google him.

He used to kick my arse when I was a teenager for been a surfer slacker.

I did not know who he was back then.

And Hoppy never say the boat might be a bit much the current owner is 85 and has been bouncing it around the ocean all  year.

And you only want to sail in the bay.

37 minutes ago, lydia said:

Mate, the owner is Harry Smith.

You might want to google him.

He used to kick my arse when I was a teenager for been a surfer slacker.

I did not know who he was back then.

There are a lot of Harry Smith's out there, but given that you mentioned his age I will guess he is 

Harry Arthur Smith
B/W Photo of a gentleman pinning the Military Cross on Harry Smith in military uniform, 1967
Smith receiving the Military Cross, 1967
Born 25 July 1933 (age 85)
Hobart, Tasmania
Allegiance Australia
Service/branch Australian Army
Years of service 1952–1976
Rank Lieutenant Colonel
Service number 6776[1]
Commands held D Company, 6 RAR
1 Commando Company
Parachute Training School
Battles/wars Malayan Emergency
Vietnam War
Awards Star of Gallantry[2]
Military Cross[3]
Knight of the National Order of Vietnam
Gallantry Cross (Vietnam

22 minutes ago, lydia said:

and Bass Strait

40 minutes ago, hoppy said:

There are a lot of Harry Smith's out there, but given that you mentioned his age I will guess he is 

Harry Arthur Smith
B/W Photo of a gentleman pinning the Military Cross on Harry Smith in military uniform, 1967
Smith receiving the Military Cross, 1967
Born 25 July 1933 (age 85)
Hobart, Tasmania
Allegiance Australia
Service/branch Australian Army
Years of service 1952–1976
Rank Lieutenant Colonel
Service number 6776[1]
Commands held D Company, 6 RAR
1 Commando Company
Parachute Training School
Battles/wars Malayan Emergency
Vietnam War
Awards Star of Gallantry[2]
Military Cross[3]
Knight of the National Order of Vietnam
Gallantry Cross (Vietnam

Harry is a very special man. I had some dealings with him last year and heard a few of his exploits 'straight from the horses mouth'. Apart from his own exemplary military record, Harry has done an amazing job fighting over decades for proper recognition for other ex servicemen. The word "hero" is bandied about far too much these days. This guy is the real deal.  

8 hours ago, SCANAS said:

Nothing wrong with bringing a gun boat to knife fight, especially if you think it’ll be your last fight! 

You probably dont realise how appropriate that comment is. Harry never backed away from a fight and he's been in a few notable ones. 

• Like 1

Corum stirs the blood in all the right ways. 

Do successful yachts like this become a victim of their success at sale? 

New owners scared they won't live up to the track record and perhaps their lack of skill gets 'outed' sort of thing. 

2 hours ago, SPORTSCAR said:

Harry is a very special man. I had some dealings with him last year and heard a few of his exploits 'straight from the horses mouth'. Apart from his own exemplary military record, Harry has done an amazing job fighting over decades for proper recognition for other ex servicemen. The word "hero" is bandied about far too much these days. This guy is the real deal.  

https://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2006-08-17/long-tan-commander-wants-medals-review/1241436?pfmredir=sm

https://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2016-03-01/long-tan-inquiry-vietnam-war-medals/7211682?pfmredir=sm

Thats 2 articles 10 years apart.

Much respect.

Describing him as a Hero seems like an injustice.  I think he's better.

1 hour ago, Hold Fast said:

New owners scared they won't live up to the track record and perhaps their lack of skill gets 'outed' sort of thing. 

Absolutely correct. We see this often when marketing boats with strong race histories. 

41 minutes ago, Ease the sheet. said:

The exemplar of leadership and loyalty. His story needs to be more widely known.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SPORTSCAR said:

Absolutely correct. We see this often when marketing boats with strong race histories. 

Especially as they get older & cheaper and therefore less likely to be sold to people with the same commitment (time & money) 

3 hours ago, Hold Fast said:

2 hours ago, SPORTSCAR said:

Top OD boats like the S38 Phoenix have got to be worse as it easy to benchmark them against a new fleet. ;)

8 hours ago, lydia said:

And Hoppy never say the boat might be a bit much the current owner is 85 and has been bouncing it around the ocean all  year.

Yes Lydia, Harry gives it his all, he's right across the boat  and the boat is not too much for his skills Sportscar .There are other reasons for selling which I won't be sharing with this thread.He is in no rush to sell either.

Full Respect!!

Hoppy is already talking to the Broker... again

Grogo

21 minutes ago, Grogo said:

Yes Lydia, Harry gives it his all, he's right across the boat  and the boat is not too much for his skills Sportscar .There are other reasons for selling which I won't be sharing with this thread.He is in no rush to sell either.

Full Respect!!

Grogo

No doubts from me about Harry's skills Grogo.

39 minutes ago, Grogo said:

Full Respect!!

Grogo

C’mon Hoppy! Northerlies this week. Park it up in Sydney NYE then head home. 

Apart from the 17th looks alright to go the whole way. 

Hoppy, Grogo will deliver it for you for the right price.  Oh that's right you called him an idiot and questioned his knowledge earlier.  Price just tripled.

1 hour ago, SPORTSCAR said:

No doubts from me about Harry's skills Grogo.

I didn't think so Sportscar, Thanks

So, for similar dough (approx 90k AUD) would you take Corum the tricked out M36 with lots of go fast gear or a cheap s38 like Asylum?

the latter doesn’t seem to have as much gear or be in as good nick as the 36...

thoughts?

2 hours ago, DtM said:

Hoppy, Grogo will deliver it for you for the right price.  Oh that's right you called him an idiot and questioned his knowledge earlier.  Price just tripled.

Oh that's right, he thinks that just because I could get away with "set and forget" sail trim with my old cruiser, that i would try to get away with the same approach with Corum, or any light weight racer for that matter. Perhaps he's right because you can't teach old dogs new tricks.

2 hours ago, Next Level said:

So, for similar dough (approx 90k AUD) would you take Corum the tricked out M36 with lots of go fast gear or a cheap s38 like Asylum?

the latter doesn’t seem to have as much gear or be in as good nick as the 36...

thoughts?

Corum for 70k 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, SCANAS said:

Corum for 70k 

Probably what the CO paid...

Given that it is 25yo and would have had a hard life in it's early days, I'd have to be a bit wary that it might be a bit soft these days. Would certainly need a good surveyor. Cosmetically it is great.

7 hours ago, hoppy said:

Probably what the CO paid...

Given that it is 25yo and would have had a hard life in it's early days, I'd have to be a bit wary that it might be a bit soft these days. Would certainly need a good surveyor. Cosmetically it is great.

Any boat that age is subject to the same problem. Difference here is you are talking about a Cookson build so one of the best choices you can make for a quality initial build, plus the boat has had TLC over the years so in terms of 25 year old gear that floats its likely a cut above.

Everything is a compromise, and old race boats are no exception. This boat ticks all your boxes, but we all know you aren't interested in closing this thread anytime soon...

2 hours ago, DtM said:

... and it is not in a pen at RMYS Melbourne

In fairness to Hoppy a ~2000 km trip from Brisbane (where Corum is per the ad) to Melbourne may not be for the faint of hear if you have limited offshore experience. That being said it is certainly a manageable 2 week trip along some potentially fantastic cruising grounds and what better way to gain experience than a delivery trip? Plus by the time you get to Bass Straight you should know if the boat is going to fall apart or not, maybe in time to has for a full refund :lol: