hoppy

Club/offshore racers in Aus up to $80k AUD

Surprised that Weapon would add a pedestal.  Saw those results … not familiar with the other boats so hard to gauge.  Also, it sounds like they are still working the boat up.

Did Young Guns have good corrected finishes?

On 10/15/2018 at 5:06 PM, SPORTSCAR said:

It was in a berth at Sandringham last night so it must be bloody quick! (Only two T-980s were built and they are both at Sandringham)

My bad, I linked the wrong link... I was talking about Young Magic, linked a little further up the page. Ooops

(And Young Magic is definitely in the DSS marina, or was at 6:15am this morning at least)

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Former MDR Vandal 1 said:

Surprised that Weapon would add a pedestal.  Saw those results … not familiar with the other boats so hard to gauge.  Also, it sounds like they are still working the boat up.

Did Young Guns have good corrected finishes?

It’s not a bad idea the pedestal.

If you think about it, the grinder is always on the Center line of the boat so your not having to compensate the weight on the rail and they should be able to trim faster and longer with the grinder than hand winching. 

If you look at what they have spent builting the boat as well the cost of the pedestal  isn’t that much and it’s probably a lighter option than power winches and extra batteries. 

Pulpit

The advantage of the pedestal would be if the primaries have a turbo gear you would have a great assist in the jibes.  Also, if the pedestal linked to the pit winch (and the pit winch had a turbo gear) you could have high speed hoists and possibly string drops (they have a roller for a string drop).

Where the spin grinder is located seems to be a minimal (or even non-existent) advantage.  If on a tight reach, just transfer the spin sheet to the weather winch and now you have the grinder in a more advantageous spot for boat (heel) trim.

The disadvantages are the additional weight of the system and the fact that it takes away the advantage of a wide open cockpit by cluttering it up with the pedestal.  Wouldn’t want to buoy race with the pedestal right in the path of the on side and off side trimmers.  Also, its proximity to the companionway (yes, I realize the opening is off-set for the lifting keel) would still impede any sails coming up from below.

To me it is a pass due to weight and ergonomics but I remain open minded if there are pluses I haven’t covered.

Were more than 2 FB 35’s built?  Any idea where Young Guns is heading?