hoppy

Club/offshore racers in Aus up to $80k AUD

Recommended Posts

... and no electric toilet.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, mccroc said:

Well if you race two-up you don't care about IRC. 

While I would be delighted to see shorthanded in the S2H I will believe it when I see it, and also would have to closely look at what conditions there are for short-handers to qualify!

Maybe IRC (or ORC Club) would be a good avenue for shorthanded racing in Australia to go - racing under rating rules rather than box rules seems to be going gangbusters overseas.

The B-G could be the race to kickstart shorthanded racing off again; Cat 3+ safety, a shorthanded division, and ratings that mean you don't need a specialised boat to have a chance to win. I'll hope to get there in 2021 if I can think of the right sailing partner (ie someone with a good small boat championship record, Cat 1/2 experience, and the ability to go hard without much sleep).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, mccroc said:

Well if you race two-up you don't care about IRC. 

While I would be delighted to see shorthanded in the S2H I will believe it when I see it, and also would have to closely look at what conditions there are for short-handers to qualify!

should be no more than the current S2H qualifying: > 180nm overnighter.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, mccroc said:

Well if you race two-up you don't care about IRC. 

While I would be delighted to see shorthanded in the S2H I will believe it when I see it, and also would have to closely look at what conditions there are for short-handers to qualify!

The Fastnet has a hugely popular double-handed division racing under IRC.

Middle Sea Race and Newport-Bermuda have 2 handed divisions too.  

It's criminal that S2H doesn't have one too, out of step.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sorry @DickDastardly I was being sarcastic...

20 hours ago, DickDastardly said:

Well if you race two-up you don't care about IRC. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/4/2019 at 4:38 PM, DickDastardly said:

The Fastnet has a hugely popular double-handed division racing under IRC.

Middle Sea Race and Newport-Bermuda have 2 handed divisions too.  

It's criminal that S2H doesn't have one too, out of step.

Do you mean to say Australia's pre-emininent and most self-important Yacht Club is out of step?

Whatever gave you that impression? 

Bwahahahaha. Next you'll be telling us they're actually going to enforce their own sailing instructions...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Stop whinging, it’s unaustralian. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/4/2019 at 7:28 AM, TerrarToo said:

hi everyone here is a new listing for anyone looking for a Mt Gay 30, needs a bit of work but worth the price advertised . I've had her for 17 years, it was the last one out of the moulds. her sister-ship has done a few Hobart's.  

 

https://www.buyaboat.com.au/buyaboat/yachts-for-sale/used/sail-monohulls/lyons-30-mount-gay/231347

this would make a perfect boat for sailing two up.

nip

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Flatbag said:

Do you mean to say Australia's pre-emininent and most self-important Yacht Club is out of step?

Whatever gave you that impression? 

Bwahahahaha. Next you'll be telling us they're actually going to enforce their own sailing instructions...

Only on the smaller boats or owners that are not ex commodores. 

 

so what that means is, Matt is safe, the supermaxi owners are safe and can break any rules they like. It’s all about who has the most money. A double handed fleet would be made up of us average sailor who aren’t rich and shameless so why would you want us Sailing the Hobart taking the glory away from the chosen few ? 

 

Anyway, hoppy is going to end up with the chosen few when he gets his new boat and we can all look up to him like the supermaxi owners and Matt. Lol

Pulpit

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, TerrarToo said:

this would make a perfect boat for sailing two up.

nip

So what's the history of that one?  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/4/2019 at 6:55 AM, DtM said:

... and no electric toilet.

What is the deal with electric shitters on boats? How many of you have electric shitters at home?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Flatbag said:

What is the deal with electric shitters on boats? How many of you have electric shitters at home?

Electric shitters macerate anything so they don't block up.  nothing more enjoyable than pulling apart a manual toilet that has a turd blocked in it

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Flatbag said:

What is the deal with electric shitters on boats? How many of you have electric shitters at home?

Flatbag, 

 

Its what hoppy needs in order to chinch the deal of a new Boat with his misses. He also needs to have a fit out down below so most race boats just don’t fit the wish list for him. 

 

Its the trouble with owning a floating caravan and then and then wanting a race Boat when the misses has been spoilt. 

 

Anyway the electric shitter is easy to fix and hoppy has already been offered one for free. He just can’t commit and pony up for a new Boat and he has had lots found that fit what he wants. 

 

Pulpit 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Bill E Goat said:

Electric shitters macerate anything so they don't block up.  nothing more enjoyable than pulling apart a manual toilet that has a turd blocked in it

Which part of "DO NOT PUT ANYTHING in a marine toilet unless you have eaten or drunk it first" don't they get?

But I reckon there can't be much worse than taking a satisfyingly monstrous dump and then finding you have a foul grogan along for the ride because your battery is flat. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Bill E Goat said:

Electric shitters macerate anything so they don't block up. 

Except those fucking wipes..............

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

this thread is so old it's time to update the price bracket ..............

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Bill E Goat said:

Electric shitters macerate anything so they don't block up.  nothing more enjoyable than pulling apart a manual toilet that has a turd blocked in it

yeh nah -- wait till some numpty accidentally drops a plastic bottle cap down one

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Flatbag said:

What is the deal with electric shitters on boats? How many of you have electric shitters at home?

Well to be fair when I walk in there and sit down a light comes on, so something electrical is happening...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Mid said:

this thread is so old it's time to update the price bracket ..............

60k perhaps?

On 5/4/2019 at 6:55 AM, DtM said:

... and no electric toilet.

I don't know where the idea that an electric shitter was a requirement of mine? A plumbed shitter, not portapotti is a requirement, but as I happily survived with two pump toilets on my Jeanneau, I will be happy with a pump on that racer whenever I get around to buying one.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, hoppy said:

60k perhaps?

 

Huh? You haven’t owned a boat in a year you should be rich by now! Budget should be 120! 

I think the economy blows. Be a few fire sales I reckon. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The ex Sail Exchange Farr 1104 is in the latest Marine Auctions catalogue. Ready for everything except Hobart

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/17/2017 at 12:32 PM, Last Post said:

I wondered what had happened with GL. She / he racked up some pretty impressive results which were widely discussed here on SA, along with much criticism of her " USA inappropriate" name and graphics for a while, but then she suddenly stopped appearing and nothing more was heard of her. Whats the story morning glory? Any WA anarchists care to fill in the gaps?

Just to update. In January General Lee Clockwork got a new deeper keel

 

49561112_294038214585769_768653913382872

 

and they are paying the price :)

 

50791524_300844133905177_868448038569168

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, hoppy said:

Just to update. In January General Lee Clockwork got a new deeper keel

 

49561112_294038214585769_768653913382872

 

and they are paying the price :)

 

50791524_300844133905177_868448038569168

Now in Auckland

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Rushman said:

Now in Auckland

Just did the Shorthanded Enduro race there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, hoppy said:

Just to update. In January General Lee Clockwork got a new deeper keel

 

49561112_294038214585769_768653913382872

 

and they are paying the price :)

 

50791524_300844133905177_868448038569168

Owner must really like pickle dishes

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/4/2019 at 1:04 PM, Curious said:

Maybe IRC (or ORC Club) would be a good avenue for shorthanded racing in Australia to go - racing under rating rules rather than box rules seems to be going gangbusters overseas.

The B-G could be the race to kickstart shorthanded racing off again; Cat 3+ safety, a shorthanded division, and ratings that mean you don't need a specialised boat to have a chance to win. I'll hope to get there in 2021 if I can think of the right sailing partner (ie someone with a good small boat championship record, Cat 1/2 experience, and the ability to go hard without much sleep).

A good boat for short handed IRC or IRC club racing would be an X332 with small kite and furling headsail. 

Manageable sail plan with a rating that can sailed to (great age allowance) 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Isn’t the max age allowance 15yrs?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/7/2019 at 7:40 AM, Mad Mac said:

Except those fucking wipes..............

Or hair - that's why I'm bald. By choice.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

An interesting comparison for all you sports yacht freaks on here

2015 Fred Barrett and Toby Richardson custom one-off 36 Ft. "X & Y" in Hobart

https://yachthub.com/list/yachts-for-sale/used/sail-monohulls/fred-barrett-richardson-11m-a-real-weapon-performance-plus/230068

and

2002 RP Shockwave 36 Ft Hart built custom one-off "Smooth Criminal" in Melbourne

http://vicsail.com/used-boats/reichel-pugh-36/?fbclid=IwAR0T80ovQE2QD2h_dw7Qe6eJOwd9m8JIPnoumJxu4ymNP8NhmWX2FjQFm_Q

Both are 36 Ft, High Tech Composite construction with Carbon rigs from the same mast builder, composite rigging, Outboard motor powered, assy spinn, day sailing race boats with apparently bugger all in the way of creature comforts. They haven't raced each other afaik but both should be kick-arse fast and probably rate like shit under any known measurement rule. Both are orphans, one of a kind boats and there's a 13 year age difference.

Smooth Criminal is 2002 vintage and is offered at a freckle puckering $AUS230k

X & Y is 2015 vintage and is offered at a more modest $AUS69k

Who is kidding who here?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, resist said:

For 230k I want the fifth reason I was promised

 

9B7646A0-DB22-4711-B98A-EEB67807020E.jpeg

People will think you're a Michael Jackson fan......

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Back in town for a few days and first time in Williamstown for a while, I noticed a change at Savo's marina this morning. One less office for Hoppy to buy his next ($80k) ride from?

743505079_Signofthetimes.thumb.JPG.d3eb0c9295ca7f06683a31f5102e322c.JPG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/28/2019 at 7:10 PM, Alcatraz5768 said:

Young 11s are great boats. 

Certainly are and they were well ahead of their time, like most of Jim Young's boats.

I have vivid but blurred memories of sitting on Laurie Newhooks  "Big Ruby" at the Sydney Boat Show in about 1984 (?) with Bob Ross and half the Aus yachting press, all raving about the design while getting seriously rat-arsed on rum. Those were the days.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The same Y11, Big Ruby that returned to NZ? If so, a beautiful yacht that sailed well that unfortunately met her end in the Lyttelton Marina fiasco of the early 2000’s. It was a spooky experience being on her after she was refloated and on the hard, the creaking and groaning was like the a death throw. She was cut up and mostly sent to landfill, sad end to a fine lady.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wonder if Hopster has sold his boat and is coming to the realisation that boats kinda suck to own, and is just eyeing up some rides on other people's whips. I can certainly understand that train of thought. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Crazy Horse said:

The same Y11, Big Ruby that returned to NZ? If so, a beautiful yacht that sailed well that unfortunately met her end in the Lyttelton Marina fiasco of the early 2000’s. It was a spooky experience being on her after she was refloated and on the hard, the creaking and groaning was like the a death throw. She was cut up and mostly sent to landfill, sad end to a fine lady.

Yes, same boat. Sad ending for a fine boat.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Alcatraz5768 said:

I wonder if Hopster has sold his boat and is coming to the realisation that boats kinda suck to own, and is just eyeing up some rides on other people's whips. I can certainly understand that train of thought. 

Nah.... boats are great to own and sail.

It just sucks to pay the endless bills... ;) Just wait until when your boat gets wet. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I see Wild Rose is listed at sold. Didn't take long.

Also - Anyone know what the ex Sail Exchange 1104 went for?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/30/2019 at 5:02 AM, hoppy said:

Nah.... boats are great to own and sail.

It just sucks to pay the endless bills... ;) Just wait until when your boat gets wet. 

Had my daughter on her first ocean race Saturday. She said it felt like a free roller coaster. I told her it was, except for the free part.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, hoppy said:

MBD36. It's a bit surprising to see this as the owner seems to have spent a fortune upgrading it.

https://yachthub.com/list/yachts-for-sale/used/sail-monohulls/murray-burns-dovell-sydney-36-excellent-condition-massive-inventory/233824

 

I think the owners are targeting the Osaka and decided to buy the Sayer 11 Runaway as a better shorthanded prospect. One of the Whistler owners was skipper of Chutzpah at the AWKR.

Would be a pretty good boat in Melbourne - rates about the same as that Summit 35 that's sails out of the Royals.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Keep this one quiet, one day I may be in a position to buy her - she's a fine vessel. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Jono said:

 

Also - Anyone know what the ex Sail Exchange 1104 went for?

I think I saw it tick over at about $25.5k, IIRC. But it also appears on the "Forthcoming Auctions" and "Boats for Sale" pages....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not something I want, but there is a Van De Stadt 40 IOR 1 tonner for sale that has undergone an amazing transformation from a racer to cruiser

https://yachthub.com/list/yachts-for-sale/used/sail-monohulls/van-de-stadt-40-superb-re-fit-excellent-presentation-great-value/234393

The owner talked about the transformation over on this forum

 http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f47/making-ex-racer-my-cruiser-am-i-mad-2654.html

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, hoppy said:

Not something I want, but there is a Van De Stadt 40 IOR 1 tonner for sale...

 

Previously a RMYS yacht - original owner is probably still a member. Crew moved back then to another club yacht that is currently up for sale.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, p5527 said:

Previously a RMYS yacht - original owner is probably still a member. Crew moved back then to another club yacht that is currently up for sale.

I noticed the sail number

It feels like it's only the Melbourne clubs that care about sail numbers

29_3.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Does anyone know any history about Ciao Baby II? From flicking through this topic I believe it was Scarlet Runner in 2007-9?? Does anyone know its original name or whether it was t-boned badly? It's pretty much the only Sydney 38 left on the market!

 

https://derwentboats.com.au/derwent/yachts-for-sale/used/sail-monohulls/sydney-yachts-38-excellent-presentation-recent-upgrades/233819/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Howdy Red,

 

I currently own CB II - but sadly not for much longer as we signed a contract today (subject to survey).  She was always Scarlet Runner from new according to the OD Certificate issued in 2001 that was in the boat file that came with the boat.  I was aware of the T-bone from back in the day (from this thread) when I purchased her, and couldn't find any trace when surveyed (my brother-law is a marine surveyor, so looked very very closely...), so obviously repaired very well.  I guess that is the good thing with modern materials that they can be repaired to as new - only have to look at Intrigue that was cleaned up by Sovereign in a King of Derwent race 30 something years ago and still winning races.  An A35 was also badly t-boned down here by Dr Who and was also well repaired, so not really an issue unless a few extra Kgs of repair material does ones head in.

They are a great boat & will be sad to see her go, but want to do a bit of cruising in a tad more comfort to keep the admiral happy.  Should have done a swap with Hoppy's Jeanneau when he was flogging that off (but that would have killed off the thread!). 

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, spirit28 said:

Howdy Red,

 

I currently own CB II - but sadly not for much longer as we signed a contract today (subject to survey).  She was always Scarlet Runner from new according to the OD Certificate issued in 2001 that was in the boat file that came with the boat.  I was aware of the T-bone from back in the day (from this thread) when I purchased her, and couldn't find any trace when surveyed (my brother-law is a marine surveyor, so looked very very closely...), so obviously repaired very well.  I guess that is the good thing with modern materials that they can be repaired to as new - only have to look at Intrigue that was cleaned up by Sovereign in a King of Derwent race 30 something years ago and still winning races.  An A35 was also badly t-boned down here by Dr Who and was also well repaired, so not really an issue unless a few extra Kgs of repair material does ones head in.

They are a great boat & will be sad to see her go, but want to do a bit of cruising in a tad more comfort to keep the admiral happy.  Should have done a swap with Hoppy's Jeanneau when he was flogging that off (but that would have killed off the thread!). 

 

Wow this place is amazing... Thanks so much for that information! I agree 100% that it looks to be repaired amazingly well! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, spirit28 said:

Should have done a swap with Hoppy's Jeanneau when he was flogging that off (but that would have killed off the thread!). 

Where would the fun in that be...

I like keeping them wondering when, what and even if...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, hoppy said:

Where would the fun in that be...

I like keeping them wondering when, what and even if...

None of us here are wondering Hoppy

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, PIL66 - XL2 said:

None of us here are wondering Hoppy

fair enough....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/24/2019 at 12:01 PM, hoppy said:

Not something I want, but there is a Van De Stadt 40 IOR 1 tonner for sale that has undergone an amazing transformation from a racer to cruiser

https://yachthub.com/list/yachts-for-sale/used/sail-monohulls/van-de-stadt-40-superb-re-fit-excellent-presentation-great-value/234393

The owner talked about the transformation over on this forum

 http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f47/making-ex-racer-my-cruiser-am-i-mad-2654.html

 

 

Thanks for the plug ;)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Weyalan said:

Thanks for the plug ;)

I followed your thread on CF and was surprised to see her for sale. Pretty impressive job you did. Most rebuilds look good until you look inside but yours is exceptional

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now