• Announcements

• Zapata

Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  
hoppy

Club/offshore racers in Aus up to $80k AUD

Is the fact that Challenge is well looked after with some nice additions, offset the thrashing she has received throughout her life? I mean, she must be one of the most heavily offshore campaigned 38s going around.

3 hours ago, lydia said:

FAAAARCK Hoppy, this thread has been going so long you could have saved up the difference between your budget and the cost of a Sydney 38 and brought one through Sporty.

Just buy a 38.

Hollywood Ray is carving div 2 up at Hammo. Only 38 in the Div.

1 hour ago, Last Post said:

Best not Hoppy, that S38 was previously known as Scarlet Runner. She was savagely T-boned in a race off Sydney a few years back. There's a very good reason why she's going so cheaply.

Faark - put a deposit on this last week and survey arranged for next. 

Will obviously have a very close look - so the heads up will be helpful.  This happened back in 2007, and the boat has done a lot of miles since.  I've sailed on it a number of times and apart from being a bit tired and lacking in the sail department there is no evidence of that prang.  Might be a factor at the top end of the OD fleet, but for the sailing we plan on doing down here in Tas there is going to have to be something major to knock it back..

7 minutes ago, Next Level said:

Is the fact that Challenge is well looked after with some nice additions, offset the thrashing she has received throughout her life? I mean, she must be one of the most heavily offshore campaigned 38s going around.

Looked stunning in the yard at SYC. I'd almost feel embarrassed campaigning as she'd go to the back of the S38 fleet with hacks like us in control.  

Various posts in this thread and others, plus a conversation with Sportscar have been pretty much been warning me against a Sydney 38. Now this photo was posted on Arsebook by Sailorgirl.

A sydney 38 is now not on my potential shopping list

IMG_2128.JPG

1 hour ago, SCANAS said:

The well sailed S38 is cleaning up in IRC hoppy. 

We'd be the team of hacks short on crew and up on the beach.

I would be interested to know why Sporty warned you off a s 38.

Sounds like some of the people dissing S38 are not owners and  not paying for their sailing with their own money.

Coming up to 30 years of boat ownership, a S38 is one of the best going around for club racing.

Good value to run with new sails, cheap insurance, minimal upkeep.

Great service from the sailmakers familiar with the class.

Parts/ halyards are all stock items.

So all the things a whole lot of people here never have to worry about.

Sure there are plenty of flasher asso type boats around but if what you actually want is all round club racer?

The only caveat is that a S38 is easy to sail but actually quite difficult to sail really fast.

As the S38 in Hammo is demonstrating.

14 hours ago, hoppy said:

Various posts in this thread and others, plus a conversation with Sportscar have been pretty much been warning me against a Sydney 38. Now this photo was posted on Arsebook by Sailorgirl.

A sydney 38 is now not on my potential shopping list

IMG_2128.JPG

3 hours ago, lydia said:

I would be interested to know why Sporty warned you off a s 38.

Sounds like some of the people dissing S38 are not owners and  not paying for their sailing with their own money.

Coming up to 30 years of boat ownership, a S38 is one of the best going around for club racing.

Good value to run with new sails, cheap insurance, minimal upkeep.

Great service from the sailmakers familiar with the class.

Parts/ halyards are all stock items.

So all the things a whole lot of people here never have to worry about.

Sure there are plenty of flasher asso type boats around but if what you actually want is all round club racer?

The only caveat is that a S38 is easy to sail but actually quite difficult to sail really fast.

As the S38 in Hammo is demonstrating.

I don't know. Ray looked like he had good pace just before he hit the beach. 

3 hours ago, lydia said:

That about sums it up....

Any opinions on the Elliot 9.6? 

https://yachthub.com/list/yachts-for-sale/used/sail-monohulls/elliott-9-6-cruiser-racer/200986

I guess it is a newer design than the 10.5 I posted in my OP.

We raced against this boat in several pursuit races over winter. Despite their size, they have been one of the fastest on elapsed time in the fleet whilst we have been one of the slowest in some races. Looks like an Elliot 9.6 did a S2H http://www.elliott-marine.com/assets/Uploads/Elliott9.6-raptor-cruiser-one-design-yacht-marine-GregElliott-sailboat-keelboat.pdf

I found another 9.6 that was previously for sale which has a retractable bowsprit (I assume a mod). A BS and a few asy's would be something that would suit me.

Might have to contact the owner and have a look one day when we are both due to race. 

Hoppy, There are not many Elliotts which are lemons and the 9.6 looks great for the price, however I'm not sure I'd race it in a Hobart.

9 minutes ago, dr_dave said:

Hoppy, There are not many Elliotts which are lemons and the 9.6 looks great for the price, however I'm not sure I'd race it in a Hobart.

Yeah, it's a bit small for S2H but that is not on my "be real" radar, but it could be ok for some cat 3 races in Bass Strait and perhaps a Launceston to Hobart. 

3 hours ago, lydia said:

Did not stop Liz Wardley in 1999.

or doing part of an osaka

I could not find any definitive info on which Elliot she sailed. Wiki just said it was a 36ft Elliot, the CYCA has no boat info and the Elliot page (http://www.elliott-marine.com/elliott-results/) does not show the S2H result. I did notice that in 99, Sea Eagle an Elliot 1050 won the Melbourne King Island race. Two races ago Sea Eagle knocked us over 200m from the finish line  :angry:

Anyone know a good yacht sales site of NZ? Curious to see the Elliot prices there as there seems to be quite a few boats racing there. (not that I want to import another boat)

51 minutes ago, hoppy said:

Anyone know a good yacht sales site of NZ? Curious to see the Elliot prices there as there seems to be quite a few boats racing there. (not that I want to import another boat)

Trademe.co.nz 

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/SearchResults.aspx?searchString=Elliott&type=Search&searchType=1&user_region=100&user_district=0&generalSearch_keypresses=0&generalSearch_suggested=0&generalSearch_suggestedCategory=

Squealer did the Auckland Fiji recently but might be out of the budget

21 hours ago, hoppy said:

https://yachthub.com/list/yachts-for-sale/used/sail-monohulls/elliott-9-6-cruiser-racer/200986

We raced against this boat in several pursuit races over winter. Despite their size, they have been one of the fastest on elapsed time in the fleet whilst we have been one of the slowest in some races. Looks like an Elliot 9.6 did a S2H http://www.elliott-marine.com/assets/Uploads/Elliott9.6-raptor-cruiser-one-design-yacht-marine-GregElliott-sailboat-keelboat.pdf

I found another 9.6 that was previously for sale which has a retractable bowsprit (I assume a mod). A BS and a few asy's would be something that would suit me.

Might have to contact the owner and have a look one day when we are both due to race. 

The E 9.6 was previously known as Frequent Flyer (aka Freaky) when raced very successfully out of Sandringham by her previous owners. She has not performed to that level since sold but the pedigree is definitely there. I am a big fan of Grelliott's designs. Crusader, E35SS is my current ultimate Tattslotto dream boat.

Liz Wardley / David Witt's Osaka boat was (originally) Dixie Chicken, an Elliott 11m which was a sister yacht to Phil Simpfendorfer's highly successful E-11, Veloce, also previously raced out of SYC. Both were built by Blue Casley for New Yachts. Veloce was constantly upgraded with a new IRC rig and several keel changes to keep her winning, I sold Veloce to Qld a few years ago and she has changed hands a couple more times since. Last I heard she had been sold off cheaply due to some storm damage. Was a great boat.

Why buy Squealer when you can buy High Anxiety? Same hull and half the price landed in Melbourne. In related (expensive boat) gossip I hear General Lee has been sold to NZ.

1 hour ago, SPORTSCAR said:

The E 9.6 was previously known as Frequent Flyer (aka Freaky) when raced very successfully out of Sandringham by her previous owners. She has not performed to that level since sold but the pedigree is definitely there. I am a big fan of Grelliott's designs. Crusader, E35SS is my current ultimate Tattslotto dream boat.

Their results are definitely better in the pursuit races with "white" sails than in fleet racing with spinnakers. 

58 minutes ago, Jono said:

Why buy Squealer when you can buy High Anxiety? Same hull and half the price landed in Melbourne. In related (expensive boat) gossip I hear General Lee has been sold to NZ.

Squealer looks like it is better upgraded with the carbon mast and a modern keel. However at my and my crew's current level of race skills, HA would be a more sensible buy.

Just a shame it's not possible to list, sell, get cash and shop in the space of a few weeks like you can with cars.

1 hour ago, Jono said:

J G, it will be interesting to see the General up against Anarchy. Caught up with Celia's parents here in Melbourne recently, she is just loving racing on Anarchy.

There are many fast and fun boats in your art of the world to keep the conversation going but if your current ride is a SO40, it could be useful to know that they are doing VERY well in France under IRC.

'Charrette' and Karibario have been consistently winning or making podium in their class, and the later replaces a fast Archambault A40. Of course they are optimised and well sailed, but isn't that the case for most winning boats? 

It appears Hoppy is looking at buying a racing boat for fast and fun times! A SO40 is a cruising boat and to buy a new set of sails and sail this boat well to win on IRC may still be slow and not much fun.

Down here in Melbourne most of the yachts race using the AMS handicap which is far better than IRC for rating cruiser./racers against racing boats. 

I see the old MBD42 Secret Mens Business is for sale, that would be a great boat for $80K

4 hours ago, Sebyseb said:

There are many fast and fun boats in your art of the world to keep the conversation going but if your current ride is a SO40, it could be useful to know that they are doing VERY well in France under IRC.

'Charrette' and Karibario have been consistently winning or making podium in their class, and the later replaces a fast Archambault A40. Of course they are optimised and well sailed, but isn't that the case for most winning boats? 

Interesting to see a SO40 can do reasonably well. Also good to see some of the updates they made with the SF40 like mainsheet. 

3 minutes ago, Chucky said:

It appears Hoppy is looking at buying a racing boat for fast and fun times! A SO40 is a cruising boat and to buy a new set of sails and sail this boat well to win on IRC may still be slow and not much fun.

Down here in Melbourne most of the yachts race using the AMS handicap which is far better than IRC for rating cruiser./racers against racing boats. 

I see the old MBD42 Secret Mens Business is for sale, that would be a great boat for $80K

My original plan was to buy a nice set of race sails, probably GPL LS Carbon Laminate #1 & main to start with to get the performance up. I'm sure we could have fun racing her under PHS at least. I do have a mental block when it comes to the boats performance because I don't know how slow the sails make her. Once the are race sail I know it's the crew work that is holding her back.

However the reality is that as I have a 7mth old daughter I won't be able to sensibly afford throwing money at the boat to make her faster. We wont be cruising much out of Melbourne and I wont have the opportunity to venture to fun cruising grounds for anything but a short trips. As my partner is from Czech, I think family holidays will be flights to various parts of Aus and sailing will just be racing and day sails, so a cheaper race boat is more sensible. 

Realising that there are some interesting boats within the 80k budget does soften the blow of losing the comfort. 

Now if I had plenty of spare cash, keeping my SO40 and buying the Elliot 9.6 that is also at my marina would be a nice option. Get adjoining pens and the post race beers would be cold from the fridge on the SO40.

Hoppy,

Just some thoughts:

1) You have a boat that does what you really need it to. Get some nice racing sails and find some competent crew and go sailing. If you thinking buying a race boat, even a well kept boat with good inventory, is going to be cheaper than keeping your existing boat and buying some sails, you might be spending too much time at the bar.

2) Your needs are pretty well listed as short handed, then you get convinced by a couple forum posters to avoid the asyms? Umm, huge mistake. I've flown both on boats as large as 60' and small as 16', distances as short as the walk from the club to the bar and as long as from Newport, RI to Cowes, England (some ~3300nm with gybes and tacking up the solent). The asym wins EVERY TIME in the handling department. Only with very competent crew that have trained together am I comfortable hoisting a symmetrical kite in a blow and sea state. Some of my most successful racing was on a Bristol 35.5 with asym kites set off the sym pole, but we had an experienced crew. For short handed work and work with less competent crew, a bowsprit or even using the foresail tack attachment point to run the asym makes life a whole heck of a lot easier and as long as you know your limits, this would be fine in a race!

3) I recommend jumping in some other boats and racing with with them. Maybe signup with a team this summer that is competitive and planning some Cat3 races. That should help open your eyes a bit to what is fast, what is last, and what really matters: well prepared boats with highly skilled teams.

33 minutes ago, samc99us said:

Hoppy,

Just some thoughts:

1) You have a boat that does what you really need it to. Get some nice racing sails and find some competent crew and go sailing. If you thinking buying a race boat, even a well kept boat with good inventory, is going to be cheaper than keeping your existing boat and buying some sails, you might be spending too much time at the bar.

Not the bar, gone from very well paid and single with the opportunity to easily afford to take 8-10 weeks per year to cruise in the med. Now after after a couple of years just bumming around, I've moved back to Aus which was a cheap place to live when I left 18 years ago and the money will not be anywhere as good and I have a young family.

2) Your needs are pretty well listed as short handed, then you get convinced by a couple forum posters to avoid the asyms? Umm, huge mistake. I've flown both on boats as large as 60' and small as 16', distances as short as the walk from the club to the bar and as long as from Newport, RI to Cowes, England (some ~3300nm with gybes and tacking up the solent). The asym wins EVERY TIME in the handling department. Only with very competent crew that have trained together am I comfortable hoisting a symmetrical kite in a blow and sea state. Some of my most successful racing was on a Bristol 35.5 with asym kites set off the sym pole, but we had an experienced crew. For short handed work and work with less competent crew, a bowsprit or even using the foresail tack attachment point to run the asym makes life a whole heck of a lot easier and as long as you know your limits, this would be fine in a race!

I was not put off an asy at all, just been getting confused about which boats are best to fly an asy and be competitive. My SO40 has a massive 110sqm North G2 and a"Code 1". I used the G2 for 2 summers solo before I had someone onboard when I was using it. 

3) I recommend jumping in some other boats and racing with with them. Maybe signup with a team this summer that is competitive and planning some Cat3 races. That should help open your eyes a bit to what is fast, what is last, and what really matters: well prepared boats with highly skilled teams.

Often other boats in the club advertise for crew and my marina neighbour with a Farr 38IMS has a standing invite for me for when we don't race. Have been thinking about a race or two on our off weekends. Even with my SO40 I know the slow boats, they are my benchmark boats I try to beat and the fast ones are the those that blast past us. 

Link to SMB 1 please. I wanted to buy it when it was at RPAYC but it was a party of 3 & one of the guys fell through. 

9 minutes ago, SCANAS said:

Link to SMB 1 please. I wanted to buy it when it was at RPAYC but it was a party of 3 & one of the guys fell through. 

Saw it the other day, a lot of boat for little money. Certainly looks like it needs some TLC

https://yachthub.com/list/yachts-for-sale/used/sail-monohulls/murray-burns-dovell-42/204855

11 hours ago, hoppy said:

Saw it the other day, a lot of boat for little money. Certainly looks like it needs some TLC

https://yachthub.com/list/yachts-for-sale/used/sail-monohulls/murray-burns-dovell-42/204855

Well that was a short lived dream over here. Sure it only came over three or four seasons ago.

9 hours ago, Swanno said:

Well that was a short lived dream over here. Sure it only came over three or four seasons ago.

Quite a nice boat in reality, I sailed it a couple of times when Geoff owned it back in the day (in IMS mode) and a little with the guys who owned it at RPAYC.  A little on no-mans land under IRC  - in displacement it's sorta halfway between IRC lightweights and IRC leadmines and rated as a race boat as it had a limited interior IIRC.  Sweet boat to sail though.

23 hours ago, hoppy said:

This is amusing- obviously they don't want to exclude water skiers from the pool of potential buyers.

Max Speed
8 KNOTS UNDER POWER- 25+ KNOTS UNDER SAIL

12 hours ago, DickDastardly said:

Quite a nice boat in reality, I sailed it a couple of times when Geoff owned it back in the day (in IMS mode) and a little with the guys who owned it at RPAYC.  A little on no-mans land under IRC  - in displacement it's sorta halfway between IRC lightweights and IRC leadmines and rated as a race boat as it had a limited interior IIRC.  Sweet boat to sail though.

It was in Freo when it came over and looked nice but then went to live 80 miles south and race against shadows. I guess that got boring.

Not really a good boat selling market on this coast right now so I can't see it going anywhere at that price.

On 8/28/2017 at 9:14 PM, hoppy said:

Does appear that way in the ad. Unfortunate that she is a little awkward under IRC as I think for little additional money you would have a fun, fast boat with cruis-able interior (certainly not ideal, but a couple carbon panels could clean that up). Also has the setup for asyms :). One nice thing with race boats is they usually have a good stock of running rigging and a winch or two suited for short handed work. Downside is they are more picky on sail plan than a crusier and older race boats tend not to have furling headsails. SMB appears to fit in this category but the non overlapping headsails make life easy in the tacks!

On 8/29/2017 at 11:14 AM, hoppy said:

Typical female, cheap enough to pick up but costs a bomb to dress em up enough that you would want to be seen out and about with them.

You would be up for plenty of spend on sails for that bitch plus at least $10-12k in east-wise relocation costs and then you'd have a mediocre IRC race boat. May even be cheaper to move the family to WA if you buy that. Put us all out of our misery and just go buy the Elliott, High Anxiety. You'll spend way less and enjoy it way more.

2 hours ago, dralyagmas said:

There is a Syd 38 in Adelaide for sale at the moment. He is dreaming on the asking price

http://www.yoti.com.au/listing/sydney-38-asylum

Not if the sail card is up to date with fresh class gear.

Or the standing rigging has already been replaced.

Or the rudder bearings done, or the back engine mounts...

Nice fresh full sail card is worth plenty given the sail restrictions and the cost.

1 minute ago, lydia said:

Not if the sail card is up to date with fresh class gear.

Or the standing rigging has already been replaced.

Or the rudder bearings done, or the back engine mounts...

Nice fresh full sail card is worth plenty given the sail restrictions and the cost.

Isnt Asylum the oldest Skidmark 38 in the class?

42 minutes ago, Last Post said:

Put us all out of our misery and just go buy the Elliott, High Anxiety. You'll spend way less and enjoy it way more.

I'd love to, but I first have to do some varnishing on my Jeanneau before I list it. My first varnishing attempt, the door to the head, is in my back yard drying. 

You're nuts if you don't have a look at Outside Edge the Young 11 at $80k for an Elliot that's been flogged like a ranga stepchild and put away wet more times than a pommy umbrella.

4 hours ago, Next Level said:

I believe Asylum is #1

not sure if no1 of The business was no 1.

either way accept it is a most used model and there are newer ones around some put away wet some not.

Was just making the point is not what you pay but what you need to spend to get it up to date that is the question.

1 hour ago, SCANAS said:

OP has to sell his boat Al. Check back next year. 

Or the year after :wacko:

Did it sell? I've got a few good stories I'll tell you next time we are becalmed LB. 

Not so much about the boat. The sailmaker mentioned in the article probably has more info on the boat. 

On 27/08/2017 at 0:33 PM, hoppy said:

Decided to wander up the next dock to see the Elliot 9.6 and when I got there the owner was onboard, so we went onboard for a stickybeak. Seemed to pretty ok. With a draft of 1.82m I guess I really need some fat guys on the rail. It does make me think that the Elliot 10.5 with the 2.8m draft would be much better for ocean racing  http://www.yoti.com.au/listing/elliott-10-5-high-anxiety It does look like it could be acceptable for the occasional family cruises on the bay.

The NS369 moored behind me is now up for sale, looks pretty good but the price is out of my range http://sundancemarine.com.au/brokerage/sail-yacht/northshore-369/

BTW what's a yacht with running backstays like to sail with shorthanded or solo?

I spoke to a guy at the marina with a S97 and his boat has them but they are not fitted. He's happy to go for convenience over performance. 

On the type of boats posted on this thread with RBS, if you are solo/shorthanded, can you get away moving the RBS out of the way when cruising , or can you tack by easing off the windward RBS, tack and then when on course, then tighten the RBS?

23 hours ago, SCANAS said:

Did it sell? I've got a few good stories I'll tell you next time we are becalmed LB. 

Yeah- I was mildly interested as a tourist platform but in reality I was just looking for something big and silly for the 70th Gladstone next year. But that old girl is one serious hole in the water.

28 minutes ago, hoppy said:

BTW what's a yacht with running backstays like to sail with shorthanded or solo?

You would be as busy as a one armed paper hanger with the crabs.

High Anxiety is a steal at that price!

On 01/09/2017 at 4:48 PM, SCANAS said:

Some trivia. The owner a serial crook that that just kept resurfacing after fleecing yet again another bunch of people, the last being those in his whiskey scam, started life as a priest.

6 hours ago, hoppy said:

On the type of boats posted on this thread with RBS, if you are solo/shorthanded, can you get away moving the RBS out of the way when cruising , or can you tack by easing off the windward RBS, tack and then when on course, then tighten the RBS?

Depends on the rig..... on High Anxiety as she has swept back spreaders so the RBS is primarily for forestay tension, not holding the rig up.  When shorthanded cruising the running backstays taped to the shroud out of the way. We also race without them in light air.

On 26/07/2017 at 11:32 AM, Rumpig said:

Go the Mumm36, But might want to try and get it a bit cheaper and find a swept back spreader rig for it, Cookson built boat alot better than the Carroll built ones

I assume that means a full replacement mast, standing rigging and possibly sails? or is it a just a case of replacing the spreaders and standing rigging? Tried looking for modified Mumm 36's but whilst I find people talking about them, I can't find what the mods actually were.

There is a Seaquest RP36 near me that the owner seems to be thinking of selling. Out of my 80k budget but maybe a direct change over from my Jeanneau if financial plans. Looks like they would make a great racer and family weekender, however that massive wheel and difficult access around would be a deal killer. 

619181.jpg

I wonder how much a Jeffa swing pedestal would cost although the main traveller would limit the benefits.

First-35-14_diaporama.jpg

I've see a photo of the tiller version, terrible design. 

On 02/09/2017 at 4:26 PM, LB 15 said:

You would be as busy as a one armed paper hanger with the crabs.

I was disappointed to discover that aside from RBS's making me busy, some yachts can have a flicker on the backstay which requires the backstay to be eased and tightened during tacks and gybes. No much difference as a boat with a RBS I guess.

FWIW Teak deck is cleaned, most of the SS is polished and a few "low priority for my enjoyment of the boat" maintenance jobs have been done as for a prospective buyer they will not look so good undone. Inventory list nearly completed. Stripped and revarnished a cabin door that looked crap due to whitening of the wood. Looks 100% better except the varnish is a different shade of clear satin, arrrrgggh. Need to track down International Goldspar Satin, red varnish and hope it is a better match. I suspect that I need 2 or 3 more full days (especially if my 8 mth old daughter will be onboard demanding attention whilst mummy is at work) onboard to get her ready for photos.

Will need to hit my storage locker to sort out what else will be include in the sale because I have no use for it on a racer. I was going to take off the McMurdo G5 EPIRB but the battery expires in 11 months, so I assume that a new one will not be greatly more expensive than a battery change and reprogram.

A pursuit race on Saturday so I will ask other races to send me a photo of us under sail. The following week I think we might have a spinnaker race and maybe we'll get a chance to get photos of one or both of the asymmetrics.

Hopefully she will sell fairly quickly (in yacht terms) as she is well equipped for cruising. Buy today and tomorrow stock up on food, fill up the fuel tank, then make enough water to fill the 320l tanks in the first 5 hours and cruise Tassy or head up north in comfort, solo or with family or friends.

1 hour ago, resist said:

Had the camera out today Hoppy but no Jessabe to be seen!

Damn... which yacht were you out on?

I was planning to race but I only had one crew to join me and he's not my normal crew, so I cancelled. If it was a light wind day I probably would have race 2 handed. 

Should have a clean bum. They may have done it whilst careened.

15 minutes ago, lydia said:

Pulled it off and sailed the next race

Sounds like a diary entry from some of those who frequent these pages

12 minutes ago, Last Post said:

Sounds like a diary entry from some of those who frequent these pages

especially this thread 

I see that Mondo is entered for this years S2H and after looking back a few years it seems that it has raced in a few.

On 9/25/2017 at 8:37 AM, hoppy said:

I see that Mondo is entered for this years S2H and after looking back a few years it seems that it has raced in a few.

Done a few and put away wet.

The boat market place is pretty boring with very few boats added to the sales listings and no new potential boats listed. Then again selling my Jeanneau will not be the quickest process.

Anyone have an idea about how much of an IRC handicap change a boat might get by removing the large overlapping genoas and only having non-overlapping jibs? Also, is there a penalty of adding a bowsprit and a code 0, if it is smaller than the largest spinnaker?

Biggest improvement to any boats IRC/AMS performance is having a regular crew who sail together a lot and get the boat going as well as they can.

44 minutes ago, Ockaroo said:

Biggest improvement to any boats IRC/AMS performance is having a regular crew who sail together a lot and get the boat going as well as they can.

I get that...

I'm more thinking about mods to make a boat easier to race short handed without a penalty. 

38 minutes ago, hoppy said:

I get that...

I'm more thinking about mods to make a boat easier to race short handed without a penalty. 

talk to a sailmaker who knows his (IRC) shit.

AFAIK - sprit no penalty as long as STL preserved.  Zero no penalty if no larger than kite (and measures as kite), but beware the max # of kites limitation (21.6.1).  You can tack a headsail to the sprit, so consider that.

Smaller headsails ratings benefit may not be worth it depending on your local conditions.

41 minutes ago, hoppy said:

I get that...

hoppy

In any changes that you make to the boat you need to weigh up the gain or loss in your rating and the benefits overall. Look at the Sydney 38's went from hounds kites to mast head. Rating went up and so did Performance. The Performance gain out weighed the rating increase.

If you reduce sail area it's easier to sail short handed, the thing is your slower around the course and it can be harder to sail to your rating. 

If you added electric winches and kept your current sail area your rating would go up and sail handling is made easier and so you could sail closer to your rating with less crew. 

Some times a small increase in rating is out weighs the benefits. Its a fine line in getting your rating right and sailing to it. If you want to try a few simple cheap options have you looked at these

spinnakers - we all drift at the same speed in under 5 knots so why have a extra large spinnaker that you need to take down in 12-15 knots. Why not have a spinnaker that you can fly up to 20 knots. Little bit small spinnaker better rating. 

Smaller head sails - like spinnakers why have a No1 furling head sail you need to reduce as the wind picks up. Think about a No2 furling head sail instead. It would rate better being smaller and you would use it more offen. 

Crew numbers - IRC and AMS have short handed crew ratings. Nominate a crew size and see if your rating changes. 

Pulpit