• Announcements

• Zapata

Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  
hoppy

Club/offshore racers in Aus up to $80k AUD

Hi ,

just putting it out there, i have a mount gay 30 , david lyons design, the last one out of the mould.

i am considering sell my baby, if anyone is interested you can contact me here. $30-35k

nipper

48 minutes ago, TerrarToo said:

Hi ,

just putting it out there, i have a mount gay 30 , david lyons design, the last one out of the mould.

i am considering sell my baby, if anyone is interested you can contact me here. $30-35k

nipper

Pics and details mate please....

Just bite the bullet, mortgage everything you own, give away your cruising shitter and buy the Elliott 35 SS Crusader. Only 35ft, easy to sail, faster than any other 35-40fter here by a country mile and they will deliver it to your doorstep. Just finished 9th over the line in the Middle Sea Race in a 110 or so boat fleet with a Cookson 50 and lots of much bigger boats well astern. Doesn't rate at all well on IRC but you'll be back in the bar faster than anyone else at the Squaddy and you'll develop a serious drinking problem waiting for the others to turn up. Check it out here: http://www.elliott-marine.com/brokerage/crusader/

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Last Post said:

Just bite the bullet, mortgage everything you own, give away your cruising shitter and buy the Elliott 35 SS Crusader. Only 35ft, easy to sail, faster than any other 35-40fter here by a country mile and they will deliver it to your doorstep. Just finished 9th over the line in the Middle Sea Race in a 110 or so boat fleet with a Cookson 50 and lots of much bigger boats well astern. Doesn't rate at all well on IRC but you'll be back in the bar faster than anyone else at the Squaddy and you'll develop a serious drinking problem waiting for the others to turn up. Check it out here: http://www.elliott-marine.com/brokerage/crusader/

I could sell the house, buy a block of land and a 2nd shipping container. Then the family can live upstairs and once a year we can move the boat and home to Europe, or around Aus.

I suppose the promise of a quick return to the bar could be good for crew recruitment. I could keep the Jeanneau as a floating esky in the marina for crew who need a traveller for the walk down the pier.

The E35SS looks like it would make a great boat for an international OD race series.

I've always thought the quickest way to the bar is to buy a multi. But then I thought I don't have a wife to swap or a pyramid scheme or conspiracy theory to promote so best to stay with the mono fleet. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, SCANAS said:

I've always thought the quickest way to the bar is to buy a multi. But then I thought I don't have a wife to swap or a pyramid scheme or conspiracy theory to promote so best to stay with the mono fleet. 

If I had a multi I'd go straight to the bar and skip the race zzzzz.

Multi owners are just mono dreamers with an admiral who hates the leaning over. So they are given a choice between a condo/beach shack cat or just a condo/beach shack. Some will quietly admit the truth and the rest have just brain washed themselves into believing multis are better. I suppose for some people a multi is better than a costly divorce.

BTW if anyone is fed-up with this thread going around and around and no action on my part, do yourself a favour and buy or get a friend to buy my Jeanneau

http://sundancemarine.com.au/brokerage/sail-yacht/jeanneau-sun-odyssey-40/

Also remember, it is now a competitive racer with a storming 5th in a recent twilight ;-)

When  first went offshore my (German) skipper said,  "one day you might get a chance to sail on a good boat don't fuck it up by talking about downstairs" it is "down below".  Jade needs to heed that advice and also it is "aft" not "at the back".

Still she looks a beautiful boat Hoppy.

3 hours ago, hoppy said:

I could sell the house, buy a block of land and a 2nd shipping container. Then the family can live upstairs and once a year we can move the boat and home to Europe, or around Aus.

I suppose the promise of a quick return to the bar could be good for crew recruitment. I could keep the Jeanneau as a floating esky in the marina for crew who need a traveller for the walk down the pier.

The E35SS looks like it would make a great boat for an international OD race series.

Hey hoppy,

have a a look at this it could be your new home 

http://www.livingbiginatinyhouse.com/20-ft-shipping-container-home/

pulpit 

6 hours ago, hoppy said:

Multi owners are just mono dreamers with an admiral who hates the leaning over. So they are given a choice between a condo/beach shack cat or just a condo/beach shack. Some will quietly admit the truth and the rest have just brain washed themselves into believing multis are better. I suppose for some people a multi is better than a costly divorce.

Ha! Other way round here. She wanted the leaner; I wanted to keep my tri. She won. Like turning in the sportscar for an RV.

[managed to hang on to the tri by stalling on the listing and sulking over the cost of the kitchen upgrades at home :) ]

8 hours ago, stief said:

Ha! Other way round here. She wanted the leaner; I wanted to keep my tri. She won. Like turning in the sportscar for an RV.

[managed to hang on to the tri by stalling on the listing and sulking over the cost of the kitchen upgrades at home :) ]

No, same way around, it's just that you are the admiral in the relationship :P

On 10/30/2017 at 8:18 PM, hoppy said:

An ideal family cruising boat mate. This vid was when she was quite new and they were still learning how to sail her. She's fully dialled in now.

You will, of course, need an extraordinarily large set of niagaras to sail like this.

6 minutes ago, Last Post said:

An ideal family cruising boat mate. This vid was when she was quite new and they were still learning how to sail her. She's fully dialled in now.

You will, of course, need an extraordinarily large set of niagaras to sail like this.

south-park-s14e03c09-women-love-huge-bal

On 10/30/2017 at 10:03 PM, DtM said:

When  first went offshore my (German) skipper said,  "one day you might get a chance to sail on a good boat don't fuck it up by talking about downstairs" it is "down below".  Jade needs to heed that advice and also it is "aft" not "at the back".

Not to mention the cliche Piaf french music at disturbingly high volume. Does the mutt go with the boat?

9 minutes ago, Last Post said:

Not to mention the cliche Piaf french music at disturbingly high volume. Does the mutt go with the boat?

For a good offer price on the boat, maybe you can take the mutt too.

19 minutes ago, Last Post said:

I've done over 25,000 offshore miles and on my current ride we only ever refer to "downstairs", "front" and "back" but do occasionally say port and starbord it's true

On 30/10/2017 at 10:03 PM, DtM said:

I suspect that the people who would be concerned about the use of "downstairs" would probably never see the video as they'll be after a full keeler and would be meticulous about the use of day shapes and other BS...

Who carries day shapes anyway....saw a nice merican cruiser up Whitsundays last week - proudly flying a day shape whilst at anchor - don't ask me which shape.  We just had bbq shapes

2 hours ago, Last Post said:

Greg should have designed somewhere for you all to sit down.

On 10/30/2017 at 8:06 PM, hoppy said:

BTW if anyone is fed-up with this thread going around and around and no action on my part, do yourself a favour and buy or get a friend to buy my Jeanneau

http://sundancemarine.com.au/brokerage/sail-yacht/jeanneau-sun-odyssey-40/

Also remember, it is now a competitive racer with a storming 5th in a recent twilight ;-)

Hoppy I also own one of them as well. (I don't have the posh teak side decks though) Looking to upgrade but there is no other production 40 footer of its type that does everything as well as these boats do. After 12 years hard labour in the sailing school it still presents very well. (It sails about 320 days a year.) They are not worth selling for what we would get. Keep the Jeanneau and secretly buy a race boat. If she asks about the money, just tell her you are having an affair.

22 minutes ago, LB 15 said:

Keep the Jeanneau and secretly buy a race boat. If she asks about the money, just tell her you are having an affair.

Opposite me there's a Seaquest RP36 for sale named "Mistress". Sounds perfect for that deception.

My Jeanneau does it well. I sailed her solo for a couple thousand miles around Greece  over 6 years. In the Aegean last year I sailed in 40-55 knots on many days without issues. Could have done with a storm sail for windward work in those conditions rather than a heavily rolled up genoa, but luckily as I was just touring between island I could aim for islands that were a beam reach away. 

I'm kind of glad I don't have cash burning a hole in my wallet.  I'm now curious about the Y11 because of a couple of posts and some googling, so I wrote the broker to get some further info that most other race yachts I'm curious about have detailed in their listings (sail condition, age, construction etc..) I got more photos back from the broker but then no response to my follow up about the sails. Two days and nothing.

I really wonder about some brokers.

3 hours ago, hoppy said:

Opposite me there's a Seaquest RP36 for sale named "Mistress". Sounds perfect for that deception.

My Jeanneau does it well. I sailed her solo for a couple thousand miles around Greece  over 6 years. In the Aegean last year I sailed in 40-55 knots on many days without issues. Could have done with a storm sail for windward work in those conditions rather than a heavily rolled up genoa, but luckily as I was just touring between island I could aim for islands that were a beam reach away. 

My wife and I had a Sunrise 34 when we spent a few years in the med. It was a great boat as well. 

On 10/30/2017 at 10:03 PM, DtM said:

Jade's sailing experience would be much greater than most around here. 

20 hours ago, LB 15 said:

Greg should have designed somewhere for you all to sit down.

They would all have been shitting themselves about then and it drains better standing up. Very practical designer is Grelliott.

1 hour ago, Last Post said:

They would all have been shitting themselves about then and it drains better standing up. Very practical designer is Grelliott.

So gortex chaps should be part of the sailing gear.

20 hours ago, hoppy said:

So gortex chaps should be part of the sailing gear.

Yeah, but they wear it inside out.

8 minutes ago, Last Post said:

Yeah, but they wear it inside out.

They'd be a bit cold in winter, but I guess that is why the boat is designed to pack into a container. They can follow the summer and wear the chaps all year round!

1 hour ago, hoppy said:

They'd be a bit cold in winter, but I guess that is why the boat is designed to pack into a container. They can follow the summer and wear the chaps all year round!

669481354.jpg

Yours for $345k kiwi, includes shipping.

This Sydney 40 looks like a lot of boat for $69k especially as it's from 1999. Although it looks like it needs a total sail wardrobe upgrade even for twilights,  $30k, plus another $20k for ocean racing???

Not for me, but are they any good? How do they compare to the Farr 40 OD and the S41?

This S41 https://yachthub.com/list/yachts-for-sale/used/sail-monohulls/sydney-yachts-41/196850 is $30k more than the 40, but is probably a cheaper purchase, but out of my price/size range

I'm surprised how inactive the racer market place. Hardly anything new and interesting has been listed since I started this thread and very few boat have sold. I thought there  would be more movement in the market place, even if individual boats may take their time for their turn to be sold. I really don't want to buy anything I will get bored of or outgrow too quickly ;)

On 26/07/2017 at 3:50 PM, greasy al said:

Buy the Young 11 Outside Edge for sale in Qld. Pete has looked after it really well. Might be an old design, but downwind in pressure you will embarrass plenty of bigger budget programs. Sorry, don't know how to paste the link on an iPad, but it comes up in a google search "Young 11 for sale".

If this is correct, then I understand the comment...

Young11mod.png

polaire-P36.jpg

Kaimai Flyer in NZ is good value for a Y11, especially with the exchange rate at .9. Lyons keel, prod, good sail wardrobe, and a near new motor. All for NZD92k. And Andy (the vendor) is a good bloke. Look on Trade Me (The NZ Gumtree)

How much faster is the Lyon's Keel V. Other Y11's? 

Considering OE is asking 75k & is already here importing one would be pretty silly. It has a prod. 

Kaimai Flyer looks pretty good. New engine is a huge bonus and the sails in the photos look pretty good, although they are are not listed in the inventory so I have no idea what comes with it. 

https://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/boats-marine/yachts/keeler/auction-1470626140.htm

The Lyons keel gives it a 2.3m draft v 2m for outsidedge.

678387257.jpg

It's probably a better buy than outsidedge at their respective prices.

However, Fineline looks even better. Also a relatively new engine and a taller carbon rig.

https://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/boats-marine/yachts/keeler/auction-1469405135.htm

and it has a keel that is similar to what modern IRC yachts have with a 2.5m draft

538564129.jpg

At only 9k more it could be the best Y11 buy.

It ranks 3rd on this Kiwi site http://www.racetrack.org.nz/class.php?classid=9 (I wonder if the results come from topyacht?, I like the way you can find the results via the boat)

Interesting comparison of Kiwi Y11 measurements. Perhaps from some rating spreadsheet?

538565936.jpg

538563682.jpg

Unfortunately, Kiwi boats are not the most economical option :(

10% GST is payable on landing in Aus and it will be based on the purchase price plus transport costs (even if sailed) and insurance. If the boat is sailed here, it needs to be registered and I'd probably have to buy things like a liferaft and other safety items for the journey which I might not need for a coastal delivery, or I'd hire in Aus.

Already imported my Jeanneau, don't need to import another. 

Re Kaimai I'd want to see race results for the Lyons Keel. You'd have to buy it for under 60kAUD out of NZ to be in the running. 

Fineline looks like a nice boat. No runners, but that's FARR40od / Sydney 38 money landed. 

6 minutes ago, SCANAS said:

Re Kaimai I'd want to see race results for the Lyons Keel. You'd have to buy it for under 60kAUD out of NZ to be in the running. 

Fineline looks like a nice boat. No runners, but that's FARR40od / Sydney 38 money landed. 

That's where this site is great http://www.racetrack.org.nz/boat.php?boatid=98

It would be great if someone created a similar site in Aus

10 minutes ago, SCANAS said:

Fineline had runners in 2013

Sounds impressive...

Maybe if the thread was "$120k racer" it would be worth considering. $90k aus for purchase, and $30k for tax, shipping, flights and contingency. 

538563858.jpg

BTW anyone know what it costs to buy and install a new/reco 20hp engine with saildrive? Given that 2 of the interesting yachts have 29 year old original engines, even if an engineer gives them a good report, a replacement is always a possibility. Given my 80k purchase budget, its likely there will be other interesting boats with original engines.

100k is Syd38 / FARR 40 money. Fineline looks like a nice boat though. Backstay with flicker in the photos? Hard to tell on phone. 

16k for a 55hp Yanmar in 2014. Not including the boatyard. 

Might save a few thousand with a 20-25hp if you can keep your panel & engine mount configuration but add in the lift & hardstand 10-15k depending on brand. 

That's interesting Jono. Do you have to be a resident? 

Hoppy those prices were just motor using original saildrive. 

58 minutes ago, Jono said:

Don't forget to claim back the NZ 15% GST when exporting it.

I'm betting that it is not possible on a boat sold new well before GST was introduced ;)

Just now, hoppy said:

I'm betting that it is not possible on a boat sold new well before GST was introduced ;)

Ok I see NZ started with 10% in 1986. But I still wonder if claiming back GST after 30 years is possible

That would only apply if you have to pay GST when buying a used boat. Is NZ that greedy?

On 29/10/2017 at 10:14 PM, SCANAS said:

FWIW I drive past Outside Edge twice a day, it gets more love than 99% of yachts!

You won't be for much longer as it's sold.

For the same boat, how much "importance" would you put on getting the deeper draft version? 

There are 2 Elliott 9.6's listed in Aus at the moment.

"Phantom" is has a draft of 1.82m

https://yachthub.com/list/yachts-for-sale/used/sail-monohulls/elliott-9-6-cruiser-racer/200986

"Wild Spirit" has a lifting keel with a deep draft of 2.2m

https://www.boatsales.com.au/boats-for-sale/private/used/SSE-AD-5018069/1997-Elliott-96/?cr=0&psq=((((((Service%3D[Boatsales]%26LengthInMeters%3Drange[9..12])%26Price%3Drange[35000..90000])%26BoatType%3D[Sail])%26(((SiloType%3D[Dealer used boats]|SiloType%3D[Dealer new boats])|SiloType%3D[Private used boats])|SiloType%3D[Demo and near new boats]))%26Usage%3D[Racing])%26Make%3D[Elliott])&pso=0&pss=AdvertAge

For a racer it seems obvious  to go deeper.........

Wild Spirit seems the better choice due to the draft and it is a bonus that it also has a retractable bowsprit especially as I want to go Asy with my racer. But the it is in Cairns and the Phantom is in my marina. Given that the boats are 9.6m, a draft of 1.82m is not exactly a shallow draft version. With the cheaper price of Phantom and the savings in not having to fly to Cairns for inspections and then sail her down, i'd be able to get the bowsprit and get the first Asy, either an A1.5 or A2 for the W/L club races....

Still bored waiting for my boat to sell.... ;)

38 minutes ago, xsailmakerSYD said:

Yep...... Keep dreamin...... your boat will be a give away if you need to change ....

On the plus side, as I'll probably still have the Jeanneau in Jan, we can do a weeks family tour around the bay in comfort and then be too bored of it to ever need to cruise the racer.

FWIW The last 4 years cruising Jessabbe and why I will find little pleasure in bay cruising ;)

greece.thumb.jpeg.03530bb0a0ebe8daae468cdc28c4e804.jpeg

Just now, hoppy said:

FWIW The last 4 years cruising Jessabbe and why I will find little pleasure in bay cruising ;)

greece.thumb.jpeg.03530bb0a0ebe8daae468cdc28c4e804.jpeg

yeah mate, not much point in a cruising boat in PPB.  Take it north, somewhere nice - use it for the 9 months a year its cold in Melb

BTW is it just me, or did the Kiwi's design the more interesting racers in the 80's & 90's that now fall in the $80k price range? 

9 minutes ago, Dark Cloud said:

yeah mate, not much point in a cruising boat in PPB.  Take it north, somewhere nice - use it for the 9 months a year its cold in Melb

When this is the view from your apartment for 4-6 months each year for 14 years, then you realise that Melbourne is not cold. During the past winter I probably only wore full wets for a third of the races and usually I got hot on the DW legs.

432270_10151143952186074_1894146594_n.jp

Not going to get photos like this in the bay

tumblr_oblnivs8Lc1qfrdcro1_500.jpg

but then again I wont have to deal with this in the bay

tumblr_obpbfoStta1qfrdcro4_500.jpg

3 hours ago, hoppy said:

You won't be for much longer as it's sold.

Ahh cover was off today & no race till Saturday arvo so might be going soon.  

I saw a Davidson 34 advertised with what looked like an updated keel "Juno"? Down your way. 

6 minutes ago, SCANAS said:

Ahh cover was off today & no race till Saturday arvo so might be going soon.  

I saw a Davidson 34 advertised with what looked like an updated keel "Juno"? Down your way. 

A vey different keel to the one on Monkey Business. Very cheap price

http://www.myboatsforsale.com.au/boat-listings/davidson-34-yacht-juno

Less that stellar results in a couple of FOS racing in the cruising division 

3 hours ago, hoppy said:

For the same boat, how much "importance" would you put on getting the deeper draft version? 

There are 2 Elliott 9.6's listed in Aus at the moment.

"Phantom" is has a draft of 1.82m

https://yachthub.com/list/yachts-for-sale/used/sail-monohulls/elliott-9-6-cruiser-racer/200986

"Wild Spirit" has a lifting keel with a deep draft of 2.2m

https://www.boatsales.com.au/boats-for-sale/private/used/SSE-AD-5018069/1997-Elliott-96/?cr=0&psq=((((((Service%3D[Boatsales]%26LengthInMeters%3Drange[9..12])%26Price%3Drange[35000..90000])%26BoatType%3D[Sail])%26(((SiloType%3D[Dealer used boats]|SiloType%3D[Dealer new boats])|SiloType%3D[Private used boats])|SiloType%3D[Demo and near new boats]))%26Usage%3D[Racing])%26Make%3D[Elliott])&pso=0&pss=AdvertAge

For a racer it seems obvious  to go deeper.........

Wild Spirit seems the better choice due to the draft and it is a bonus that it also has a retractable bowsprit especially as I want to go Asy with my racer. But the it is in Cairns and the Phantom is in my marina. Given that the boats are 9.6m, a draft of 1.82m is not exactly a shallow draft version. With the cheaper price of Phantom and the savings in not having to fly to Cairns for inspections and then sail her down, i'd be able to get the bowsprit and get the first Asy, either an A1.5 or A2 for the W/L club races....

Still bored waiting for my boat to sell.... ;)

hoppy,

Now buying the boat Boat in your marina would be the smart way to go if the time was right and funds in hand. But we’re is the fun in that ?

Now it’s time to think outside the square, fly to cairns with he boss for a weekend / week to look at the Boat. Buy it and sail it back to the Whitsundays till race week. That way you can take your time Sailing it down the coast and have a few extra weekends away with the boss. You could even leave the kids at home. 

Now is the time to think outside the square. Because the beam of the boat is less than 3.3 m you can build a trailer to transport it back home. All you would need to do is have “oversized” signs front and back and a flashing light and off you go. Because the beam is less than 3.5 m you don’t need a pilot car and you can tow it after dark on some roads as well. 

The boat is no bigger than a Farr 30 and they trail them around wth a landcruiser or buy a light truck. It makes it a cheap way to do hamo  or any of the regattas up north and getting it home. 1 trip to hamo and back on a truck and you have paid for the trailer and truck.   In gladstone there is a cape 35 that the owner use to transport around on a Big Boat trailer and old truck. 

Pulpit 

Hoppy. Davidson's do well. It's a pretty late build for that design which is good. They aren't super quick, being an early design, but a very good all rounder. 

Pulpit they canned the landcruiser / Mumm30 type set ups. Over 2.9m beam has to be towed with a heavy vehicle ie over 4.5t GVM like a small truck which then makes it a yearly DOT as well + a truck license. That's why the MUMM30 & Melges 32 scene dropped off. 

Much easier between 2.5-2.9m 

You will find a lot of trailer power boats like Whitley are all 2.49 beam now so there are no permits, lights, flags, signs or time & space restrictions. 

9 hours ago, hoppy said:

A vey different keel to the one on Monkey Business. Very cheap price

http://www.myboatsforsale.com.au/boat-listings/davidson-34-yacht-juno

Less that stellar results in a couple of FOS racing in the cruising division 

Now THAT is/was a bloody good boat.  She's a later design than the old Davo 3/4 tonners and a fair bit quicker too. Good value.

15 hours ago, SCANAS said:

Pulpit they canned the landcruiser / Mumm30 type set ups. Over 2.9m beam has to be towed with a heavy vehicle ie over 4.5t GVM like a small truck which then makes it a yearly DOT as well + a truck license. That's why the MUMM30 & Melges 32 scene dropped off. 

Much easier between 2.5-2.9m 

You will find a lot of trailer power boats like Whitley are all 2.49 beam now so there are no permits, lights, flags, signs or time & space restrictions. 

SCANAS, 

Even if they changed the rules and you needed a light truck to tow it around it still makes it a easier way to get to regattas and the time, wear and tear saved on the boats makes good sense. Its not hard to get the license to be able to drive a light truck. You could even hire a driver for the odd time and it’s cheaper than putting the boat on a boat transport each way.

As far as the restrictions when traveling they really aren’t that big for up to 3.5 m. Once you are on the road and out of the city limits it gets easier and on some roads you can even travel outside daylight hours 

Think about this from a base in Melbourne to Australian regattas pack up travel set up. 

3 days Adelaide to port Lincoln race  4 days return 

3 days Pittwater  to Coffs race 4days  return 

5 - 6 days  Hamo race week 5-6 days return 

Pulpit 

If you were super keen to do all those regatta's maybe, but you need a truck too! Just a small 4990kg GVM light truck rego is $2500 a year plus insurance $1500 plus a COI $150 that's before you turn a wheel. Crane hire at each end to pull the rig. Trailer maintenance, Truck Maintenance, Fuel. 

It adds up that's why the MUMM30 guys don't bother anymore. Barely economical to tow to Hammo etc when they could use the family cruiser & all pooled together on crane hire VS paying a couple of crew to bring it back. 

If you wanted to race like that. Buy an FE28r. Narrow enough to tow with the family 4x4. Under 2.9m is a lot less hassle. 

The FE28r does look like an interesting bay blaster, Super11 racer and are within budget. But they are a little small and whilst they allow an easy way to get to interesting regatta's, they don't help on the ocean racing front. Also I like my current club location but I feel keeping a FE28r in the water and antifouled would do it an injustice.  Also my Audi A5 would not be a good tow vehicle, actually as it is the 3.0l TDi quattro perhaps it would have the grunt but the suspension is not designed for the load.

https://yachthub.com/list/yachts-for-sale/used/sail-monohulls/fareast-28r-in-new-condition-very-little-used/202528

https://yachthub.com/list/yachts-for-sale/used/sail-monohulls/fareast-28r/199592

• Like 1

Couple of rear struts & you'll be ace! But yeah offshore = no, in Aus at least. They'll probably race them in the TP in USA. 

PS. Cover back on the edge so perhaps still awaiting survey / sea trial etc. 

33 minutes ago, SCANAS said:

Couple of rear struts & you'll be ace! But yeah offshore = no, in Aus at least. They'll probably race them in the TP in USA. 

PS. Cover back on the edge so perhaps still awaiting survey / sea trial etc. 

maybe they came off for the survey and now it's packed up waiting for settlement and N.O. to take delivery? 

Noticed there is a new S38 listed, lower priced but appears to look good.

https://yachthub.com/list/yachts-for-sale/used/sail-monohulls/sydney-yachts-38/210124

S38's are not in my thinking ATM but when my yacht sells and I'm shopping, maybe circumstances will allow me to increase the budget and the S38 becomes a better fit, so I still keep an eye on them.  

On 11/29/2017 at 10:54 PM, hoppy said:

Noticed there is a new S38 listed, lower priced but appears to look good.

https://yachthub.com/list/yachts-for-sale/used/sail-monohulls/sydney-yachts-38/210124

S38's are not in my thinking ATM but when my yacht sells and I'm shopping, maybe circumstances will allow me to increase the budget and the S38 becomes a better fit, so I still keep an eye on them.  

Local fleet of S38s is in decline with just 4 boats at their last State Titles. Not a bad club race option but you'll need deep pockets and a skilled crew to race 1 design.

The most alarming thing about the linked ad is finding out that Shaky Jake is still selling boats

24 minutes ago, Last Post said:

Local fleet of S38s is in decline with just 4 boats at their last State Titles. Not a bad club race option but you'll need deep pockets and a skilled crew to race 1 design.

If I bought the dogs balls of the S38OD fleet, my crew and I would immediately turn it into the dogs dinner ;)

So club racing under PHS would be the goal and an IRC/AMS handicap would only be used as an alternative reference point. The same for ORCV races.

The S38 interior offers potential comfort if the family insists there is the need. I did read that Challenge had a removable hotwater & pressure system fitted. Maybe there is even the possibility of adding a shower base and curtains up forward opposite the head???? Maybe the family would only cruise if I take it up to Hammo for race week then a transom shower would be fine. 

Brokers by and large are bloody lazy and my experience to date has not been good. There is a lady at Sundance Marine called Jade who is good and she will work with other brokers on your behalf

2 hours ago, Resilience said:

Brokers by and large are bloody lazy and my experience to date has not been good. There is a lady at Sundance Marine called Jade who is good and she will work with other brokers on your behalf

Jade is is my broker at Sundance. I was at SYC and popped in to say hi but it seems that she is up north sailing on a Farr40 

What do you guys think about the trim of HA?

In the video the bow always seems to be in the water pushing a bit of a bow wave. Also the rudder seems to be a bit out of the water in conditions that do not seem to be heavy. In these conditions I would have thought that the bow would spend some time skipping on the surface. Later in the video it does not look any different with the asy.  I would imagine that it would affect the speed and steering. 

The crew seem to be in the right location

3 minutes ago, hoppy said:

What do you guys think about the trim of HA?

In the video the bow always seems to be in the water pushing a bit of a bow wave. Also the rudder seems to be a bit out of the water in conditions that do not seem to be heavy. In these conditions I would have thought that the bow would spend some time skipping on the surface. Later in the video it does not look any different with the asy.  I would imagine that it would affect the speed and steering. 

The crew seem to be in the right location

Stack 'em back...find another crew member....and get them aft. That bow is pushin water.

On 12/8/2017 at 6:51 PM, hoppy said:

Jade is is my broker at Sundance. I was at SYC and popped in to say hi but it seems that she is up north sailing on a Farr40 

She just did the deal on moonspinner...sshh! Rumour is fact that More Noise now has a big sister.....

21 minutes ago, Couta said:

She just did the deal on moonspinner...sshh! 

ahh the J133.