hoppy

Club/offshore racers in Aus up to $80k AUD

Recommended Posts

10 minutes ago, Resilience said:

Geelong one has dropped and I reckon they might take less than 100k

 

No, it was relisted yesterday at the same price to get it back up the top of searches. The price drop happened ages ago. 

I spoke to the broker about it as she is listing my boat. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

OK, been on the market for a while is all and has dropped twice I think. Not sure what makes this one worth more than the 2 at $98k

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don’t think Cinquante has done much, or any, offshore stuff. I think she was primarily OD racing. I remember years ago, she was a competitive boat. Avalon which I think was swish, has had an extensive offshore career and asylum has had the same. It may have actually been the first 38 built....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Ockaroo said:

One design is good for learning, you quickly see when you get it right or wrong, sailing around pursuit courses or phs events you're not going to sharpen skills and learn what makes a boat go fast. 

I would say yes and no. It depends on you and your crews ability. We are at a level where we can still learn a lot. I still have to shout instructions about how to do things (pole for Genoa) and describe ropes from the helm. 

We need to train a lot more and get a couple of new experienced crew from the club before we could consider using OD to make a boat go fast.

if you are trailing the fleet by miles you can’t tell if a trim change has helped.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Next Level said:

I don’t think Cinquante has done much, or any, offshore stuff. I think she was primarily OD racing. I remember years ago, she was a competitive boat. Avalon which I think was swish, has had an extensive offshore career and asylum has had the same. It may have actually been the first 38 built....

Someone mentioned earlier in the thread that Asylum was first.

Cinquante defiantly looks wort the extra money if you want to race OD with all of the sails it has including a few new ones.

For my probable usage, Faster Forward looks like it might be the best option because of its price and the sails it has. Not sure what it’s race history has been. Maybe it’s gettable at $80k, depending on how keen the owner is to sell.

Still have to view lots of other boats once my jeanneau sells before I know really what I want. :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Next Level said:

What about this Hoppy http://www.boatsales.com.au/boats/details/1993-Custom-Cape-35/SSE-AD-4886739?

not a bad option well within your price range and apparently it’s done a Hobart race. 

Very nearly bought that back in about '96.  Was a great little boat at the time, even better now it's lost the running backstays.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, DickDastardly said:

Very nearly bought that back in about '96.  Was a great little boat at the time, even better now it's lost the running backstays.

It’s kinda funny looking, but I really like the interior. Lots of really well thought out solutions. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, DickDastardly said:

Very nearly bought that back in about '96.  Was a great little boat at the time, even better now it's lost the running backstays.

It looks like a sweet little boat and I’m guessing considerably cheaper to run than a 38???? Could fit Hoppys requirements well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 17 January 2018 at 9:31 AM, hoppy said:

I would say yes and no. It depends on you and your crews ability. We are at a level where we can still learn a lot. I still have to shout instructions about how to do things (pole for Genoa) and describe ropes from the helm. 

We need to train a lot more and get a couple of new experienced crew from the club before we could consider using OD to make a boat go fast.

if you are trailing the fleet by miles you can’t tell if a trim change has helped.

Which club are you sailing from?  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Next Level said:

What about this Hoppy http://www.boatsales.com.au/boats/details/1993-Custom-Cape-35/SSE-AD-4886739?

not a bad option well within your price range and apparently it’s done a Hobart race. 

I've seen it and thought it looked interesting, but without a familiar manufacturer or designer name and limited specs I've kind of switched off it.  I just notice that it is in Pittwater, so perhaps I should give it a chance to impress me if/when I go to look at a couple of other boats in Pittwater I have been keeping an eye on.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, Rushman said:

Which club are you sailing from?  

RMYS

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’ve heard of a number of cape designed boats before. I like the layout as it’s different from the standard, galley to port, nav stn to stb setup etc.

i found a story somewhere about an all female team taking one to Hobart.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, hoppy said:

I've seen it and thought it looked interesting, but without a familiar manufacturer or designer name and limited specs I've kind of switched off it.  I just notice that it is in Pittwater, so perhaps I should give it a chance to impress me if/when I go to look at a couple of other boats in Pittwater I have been keeping an eye on.

It was launched in 1993 and it’s in great shape so while indeed it’s short of those credentials I’d say there’s little to worry about.  If it were going to break surely it would have by now.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Rushman said:

St Kilda... Is there any parking there now?

Yes, quite a few I believe. Although I think the smallest available are the 12m pens which allow up to 12.5m.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, hoppy said:

Yes, quite a few I believe. Although I think the smallest available are the 12m pens which allow up to 12.5m.  

I was thinking more along the lines of car parking spots 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Rushman said:

I was thinking more along the lines of car parking spots 

Ohhh...

Just street parking but members can get a foreshore parking permit. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 18/01/2018 at 8:27 AM, Next Level said:

What about this Hoppy http://www.boatsales.com.au/boats/details/1993-Custom-Cape-35/SSE-AD-4886739?

not a bad option well within your price range and apparently it’s done a Hobart race. 

I wrote the seller and he replied that his wife won't let him sell it and they will remove the listing :lol:

I had noticed that has a womens name on the entry list in races.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, hoppy said:

Ohhh...

Just street parking but members can get a foreshore parking permit. 

I have memories of the walk from the foreshore parking carrying two headsails for Turbo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Rushman said:

I have memories of the walk from the foreshore parking carrying two headsails for Turbo

I took 700kg of cruising gear off when I first arrived. I just called up the club and the golf cart came out to the boat to pick up the load and dropped it at my car.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, hoppy said:

I took 700kg of cruising gear off when I first arrived. I just called up the club and the golf cart came out to the boat to pick up the load and dropped it at my car.

Being a member has some priveleges it seems

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, hoppy said:

I wrote the seller and he replied that his wife won't let him sell it and they will remove the listing :lol:

I had noticed that has a womens name on the entry list in races.

Funny, my wife won't let me chainsaw my boat up when it fills me with dread and depression. 

Funny things, chicks. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not of interest to me or in my price range, but I could not help noticing a 9 year old (only) S&S 34 for a crazy price of $189,000. I just received notification of a $70,000 price drop.

It sounds like a good boat to try to create another "Komatsu Azzurro" but the traditional deck layout is less appealing than the one on KA

https://www.boatsonline.com.au/boats-for-sale/used/sailing-boats/sparkman-stephens-34-new-build-vinylester-foam-sandwich/205168

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 19/01/2018 at 8:23 PM, hoppy said:

I wrote the seller and he replied that his wife won't let him sell it and they will remove the listing :lol:

I had noticed that has a womens name on the entry list in races.

Pity, those capes can get up and boogie in some breeze. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, hoppy said:

Not of interest to me or in my price range, but I could not help noticing a 9 year old (only) S&S 34 for a crazy price of $189,000. I just received notification of a $70,000 price drop.

It sounds like a good boat to try to create another "Komatsu Azzurro" but the traditional deck layout is less appealing than the one on KA

https://www.boatsonline.com.au/boats-for-sale/used/sailing-boats/sparkman-stephens-34-new-build-vinylester-foam-sandwich/205168

 

 

He was dreaming, 500k spent on the build of a traditional 34' 

Be a good boat for a teenager to solo  in though. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 19/01/2018 at 9:23 PM, hoppy said:

I wrote the seller and he replied that his wife won't let him sell it and they will remove the listing :lol:

I had noticed that has a womens name on the entry list in races.

There are probably a couple of others around.  That was the first built. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, SCANAS said:

He was dreaming, 500k spent on the build of a traditional 34' 

Be a good boat for a teenager to solo  in though. 

It was 250k on the boat bill and another $250k on the bar bill drowning his sorrows when he realised he paid $250k to build a boat that was designed before he was born.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Probably a good boat for the re run of the Global Times RTW race. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

On 1/12/2018 at 3:56 PM, DanimalNZ said:

HA looks good - 

there were a couple of E 10.5s going some years back for $70kish, one was based at Port Fairy - but i think it sold and went to Melb - had nice large cockpit and the trenches that extended along the sides below the cabin windows - large interior as well:

same style as this but this one has been renowed somewhat  https://yachthub.com/list/yachts-for-sale/used/sail-monohulls/elliott-10-5/204611

Elliot draws a nice boat

On 1/12/2018 at 4:13 PM, hoppy said:

Looked at Squealer plenty of time, just a shame about it's location. The trenches on Squealer and XLR8 look like an interesting concept. Probably great on deck but limiting below.

There's an Elliott 9.6 in my club that's for sale. A little small for my liking but it just had a $10k price drop.

The 10.5 from port fairy was Running Bare.  Was sold to Melbourne where it lived for a couple of years and was renamed twice while there, first to 2Xsquared or similar then Children of Phoenix.  Has more cruising concessions than squealer or HA, more of a built up interior, LPG oven etc.  That owner cruised it to Brisbane and sold it there.  I bought it there and sailed it to Auckland where it now lives.  They're good boats and in your position Hoppy at the price it's at I'd buy HA in a flash.

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, raz88 said:

 

The 10.5 from port fairy was Running Bare.  Was sold to Melbourne where it lived for a couple of years and was renamed twice while there, first to 2Xsquared or similar then Children of Phoenix.  Has more cruising concessions than squealer or HA, more of a built up interior, LPG oven etc.  That owner cruised it to Brisbane and sold it there.  I bought it there and sailed it to Auckland where it now lives.  They're good boats and in your position Hoppy at the price it's at I'd buy HA in a flash.

Is that the Elliott where the forestay is on the bowsprit?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, hoppy said:

Is that the Elliott where the forestay is on the bowsprit?

Yep.  Somewhere along it's life it has had the spreaders extended and the shrouds bought out to the gunnel, which has done away with overlappers, which has meant someone has tried to get some area back into the headsails by moving the forestay forwards.  I guess in terms of balance it is also like moving the rig back a bit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/18/2018 at 4:29 PM, hoppy said:

I've seen it and thought it looked interesting, but without a familiar manufacturer or designer name and limited specs I've kind of switched off it.  I just notice that it is in Pittwater, so perhaps I should give it a chance to impress me if/when I go to look at a couple of other boats in Pittwater I have been keeping an eye on.

Andrew Cape not a familiar name? I hope he doesn't get to hear that. Capey is a righteous dude, a brilliant navigator and a more than handy yacht designer of note.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/21/2018 at 10:17 AM, SCANAS said:

He was dreaming, 500k spent on the build of a traditional 34' 

Be a good boat for a teenager to solo  in though. 

$500k, fuck, that was dumb. The K A guy only spent $300k on his S & S 34 resurrection. A bloke could have a hell of a party on that sort of change.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Last Post said:

Andrew Cape not a familiar name? I hope he doesn't get to hear that. Capey is a righteous dude, a brilliant navigator and a more than handy yacht designer of note.

Ok, never heard of him, but a quick google told me that he's the nav on Brunel who's from Melbourne.

I'd been out of Aus for 18 years and not sailing or even following sailing much for 25 years until I bought my Jeanneau.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, hoppy said:

Ok, never heard of him, but a quick google told me that he's the nav on Brunel who's from Melbourne.

I'd been out of Aus for 18 years and not sailing or even following sailing much for 25 years until I bought my Jeanneau.

 

To be fair to you, Capey whilst a great "boat drawerer" is probably better known as a navigator.

I'm a fan, and I know he was behind the Cape 35 and the Cape 40 "Mr Kite." Outside of that... "get the boat from A to B faster than any other colt, and don't hit nothing along the way" is what I'd list as his primary achievements.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Jason AUS said:

 

To be fair to you, Capey whilst a great "boat drawerer" is probably better known as a navigator.

I'm a fan, and I know he was behind the Cape 35 and the Cape 40 "Mr Kite." Outside of that... "get the boat from A to B faster than any other colt, and don't hit nothing along the way" is what I'd list as his primary achievements.

Hmmm Mr Kite ...  always a bit of a problem child, that one!

Nice article in the mainstream media just a few weeks ago: http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/homegrown-elite-navigator-finds-his-way-home-for-christmas-20180101-h0c4nv.html

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Jason AUS said:

 

To be fair to you, Capey whilst a great "boat drawerer" is probably better known as a navigator.

I'm a fan, and I know he was behind the Cape 35 and the Cape 40 "Mr Kite." Outside of that... "get the boat from A to B faster than any other colt, and don't hit nothing along the way" is what I'd list as his primary achievements.

Before starting to do research prior to creating this thread, I believed that the answer would be “Farr 1104”. That was my dream “dad buy a racer, not a Columbia 34” when I was a teen.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, DickDastardly said:

Hmmm Mr Kite ...  always a bit of a problem child, that one!

Nice article in the mainstream media just a few weeks ago: http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/homegrown-elite-navigator-finds-his-way-home-for-christmas-20180101-h0c4nv.html

 

Mr Kite did get better though... when it was first launched I heard it's problems described as "Bucko took every go-fast boat idea he's ever had, and jammed them all into one boat. Now try actually sailing it. Good luck with that...."

 

Things like the runners being on tracks and not winches, the weird gaff head main, plus being the smallest canting keel boat in Australia by 20 feet... IIRC once she'd become a little more conventional in rig and sail set up it wasn't a bad boat at all. Not the great boat she was promoted as by the sailing media, but pretty far from a 4KSB.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Jason AUS said:

Mr Kite did get better though... when it was first launched I heard it's problems described as "Bucko took every go-fast boat idea he's ever had, and jammed them all into one boat. Now try actually sailing it. Good luck with that...."

 

Things like the runners being on tracks and not winches, the weird gaff head main, plus being the smallest canting keel boat in Australia by 20 feet... IIRC once she'd become a little more conventional in rig and sail set up it wasn't a bad boat at all. Not the great boat she was promoted as by the sailing media, but pretty far from a 4KSB.

 

 

Yarse, I recall it being more than a little out there.  These days it looks positively conventional

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, hoppy said:

Before starting to do research prior to creating this thread, I believed that the answer would be “Farr 1104”. That was my dream “dad buy a racer, not a Columbia 34” when I was a teen.

Once a upon a time we had 3-4 1104's in Brisbane. The racing was close and different boats had different rigs & we had a ball. They held their price for years, but have now finally fallen off. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, SCANAS said:

Once a upon a time we had 3-4 1104's in Brisbane. The racing was close and different boats had different rigs & we had a ball. They held their price for years, but have now finally fallen off. 

I think that when I bought my Jeanneau in 2009, I was looking on Aussie sites as a comparison. I think back then the 1104 price was similar to what I paid for my Jeanneau in Greece ($90k I think), hence my expectation that they could be a boat for the 80k budget. They are too old and the IOR sterns and fin keels are no longer my thing. Farr's under 80k just don't excite me these days, not the 1104, 11.6 or 38IMS

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, hoppy said:

I think that when I bought my Jeanneau in 2009, I was looking on Aussie sites as a comparison. I think back then the 1104 price was similar to what I paid for my Jeanneau in Greece ($90k I think), hence my expectation that they could be a boat for the 80k budget. They are too old and the IOR sterns and fin keels are no longer my thing. Farr's under 80k just don't excite me these days, not the 1104, 11.6 or 38IMS

Yeah getting on now. A trick 1104 would be 40-45k, most are sub 30k these days. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, SCANAS said:

Yeah getting on now. A trick 1104 would be 40-45k, most are sub 30k these days. 

My mistress needs to be younger than my wife, otherwise there is no point ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, hoppy said:

My mistress needs to be younger than my wife, otherwise there is no point ;)

The 1104' I sailed on was called "Mistress Again" Something about the 1st owner being asked he was going to call this one Mistress, again. I'm sure all the owners have had great mileage from that name. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, SCANAS said:

The 1104' I sailed on was called "Mistress Again" Something about the 1st owner being asked he was going to call this one Mistress, again. I'm sure all the owners have had great mileage from that name. 

There was a Seaquest RP36 "Mistress" for sale opposite my Jeanneau. I did joke with my missus about buying it and keeping the name. It's sold now :(

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, SCANAS said:

The 1104' I sailed on was called "Mistress Again" Something about the 1st owner being asked he was going to call this one Mistress, again. I'm sure all the owners have had great mileage from that name. 

I did a Gladstone on "Mistress Again", also sailed on Ranch and Sundowner, both 1104s.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, podrick said:

I did a Gladstone on "Mistress Again", also sailed on Ranch and Sundowner, both 1104s.

With the Brisbane owner & his sons? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, SCANAS said:

With the Brisbane owner & his sons? 

Yep, I was a last minute inclusion for the race.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, podrick said:

Yep, I was a last minute inclusion for the race.

Ok cool, I don't think I was on that race. I met the younger son after school. The older son has his own yacht now & I'll be doing this years Gladstone with him his wife & his father. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 17/08/2017 at 12:32 PM, Last Post said:

I wondered what had happened with GL. She / he racked up some pretty impressive results which were widely discussed here on SA, along with much criticism of her " USA inappropriate" name and graphics for a while, but then she suddenly stopped appearing and nothing more was heard of her. Whats the story morning glory? Any WA anarchists care to fill in the gaps?

The General Lee is now sold

http://www.yoti.com.au/listing/bakewell-white-37-general-lee

It will be interesting to see where it ends up. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, hoppy said:

The General Lee is now sold

http://www.yoti.com.au/listing/bakewell-white-37-general-lee

It will be interesting to see where it ends up. 

been in NZ since October or something. Now called "Clockwork Orange". Did pretty well in the Coastal Classic and is now at BOISW. A little bit slower than the new BW37 Anarchy which makes sense given its relative age. Still a pretty bitchin boat with the pedestal. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ok, the broker was a bit slow to change the listing

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I see the T980 Sportscar is now for sale, that would be a sweet ride.

What was resolved about the mast side plates on Maximumm?  Does any one know any "street" intel on that boat?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 24/01/2018 at 2:06 PM, hoppy said:

I think that when I bought my Jeanneau in 2009, I was looking on Aussie sites as a comparison. I think back then the 1104 price was similar to what I paid for my Jeanneau in Greece ($90k I think), hence my expectation that they could be a boat for the 80k budget. They are too old and the IOR sterns and fin keels are no longer my thing. Farr's under 80k just don't excite me these days, not the 1104, 11.6 or 38IMS

Fark! We bought our Jeanneau (exactly the same as yours)  new in 2000 and paid $290k. 

Have had 3 of the IMS 38's in the early days in the school, I wouldn't touch one with a barge pole. Cunts of boats. Remember 'Binks' rhymes with 'sinks'.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, LB 15 said:

Fark! We bought our Jeanneau (exactly the same as yours)  new in 2000 and paid $290k. 

Have had 3 of the IMS 38's in the early days in the school, I wouldn't touch one with a barge pole. Cunts of boats. Remember 'Binks' rhymes with 'sinks'.

an $80k AUD thread in the EU would bring up a lot of interesting boats, although perhaps more cruising than racing, 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, hoppy said:

an $80k AUD thread in the EU would bring up a lot of interesting boats, although perhaps more cruising than racing, 

As a Jeanneau fan boy, I found this within my 80k budget in Europe. Just a shame it would be a $160k boat by the time it's in my marina pen http://au.yachtworld.com/boats/1995/Jeanneau-JTA-40-2961067/France#.Wm_VeZP1UUE

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, SCANAS said:

Ain't nobody got time for dat. 

exactly....

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 28/01/2018 at 11:25 AM, DanimalNZ said:

I see the T980 Sportscar is now for sale, that would be a sweet ride.

I spoke to "Sportscar" about Sportscar and whilst I probably will have a look at it, I think it's perhaps a little small for my liking. Does sound like a fun boat though.

https://yachthub.com/list/yachts-for-sale/used/sail-monohulls/thompson-t980/212750

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

duly understood - 

but, for completeness of my understanding, aside GST and import duties, what would it cost to sail back if one were inclined to do so?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, DanimalNZ said:

duly understood - 

but, for completeness of my understanding, aside GST and import duties, what would it cost to sail back if one were inclined to do so?

I guess it all depends on how you sail it back. The more stops, the more costs. I think the Panama canal fees can be around $1000usd. The cost also depends on whether you factor in lost income. Then there is wear and tear plus breakages. It's just not worth it if all you are trying to do is save money, especially as the days of parity are long gone.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, hoppy said:

I spoke to "Sportscar" about Sportscar and whilst I probably will have a look at it, I think it's perhaps a little small for my liking. Does sound like a fun boat though.

https://yachthub.com/list/yachts-for-sale/used/sail-monohulls/thompson-t980/212750

What's involved in moving the keel up & down. Could you store it Mast up & Ramp launch it easily? Trailer inc?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, SCANAS said:

What's involved in moving the keel up & down. Could you store it Mast up & Ramp launch it easily? Trailer inc?

http://www.tboat.com/T980/T980.html

" Light in weight yet strongly constructed the T980 can be trailered due to the lifting keel option and ramp or crane launched using the keel mounted lift position.

Lifting the keel is push button simple with the electrically operated hydraulic control system.
"

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, SCANAS said:

What's involved in moving the keel up & down. Could you store it Mast up & Ramp launch it easily? Trailer inc?

Not an option at RMYS, so no.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, FromTheRail said:

http://www.tboat.com/T980/T980.html

" Light in weight yet strongly constructed the T980 can be trailered due to the lifting keel option and ramp or crane launched using the keel mounted lift position.

Lifting the keel is push button simple with the electrically operated hydraulic control system.
"

The hydraulic ram was removed to save weight. If it's crane lifted I think the keel can be raised by lowering the boat on the trailer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It does look pretty impressive

 

This Asy almost looks scary.... But it's probably only a little bit bigger than my North G2 (110sqm) that I solo with. Although it is on a TD roller.

 

10_4.jpg

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, hoppy said:

It does look pretty impressive

 

This Asy almost looks scary.... But it's probably only a little bit bigger than my North G2 (110sqm) that I solo with. Although it is on a TD roller.

 

10_4.jpg

 

 

Would be an easy boat to find crew. Fast & ASO. Probably not enough interior for you Hoppy. Is there a trailer / dolly inc? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, SCANAS said:

Would be an easy boat to find crew. Fast & ASO. Probably not enough interior for you Hoppy. Is there a trailer / dolly inc? 

One of these?

a1f62f4b-4eaa-4996-a969-dd2de1df0350.jpg

I wouldn't know where to keep a trailer and even if my A5 had a tow bar, I don't think I'd be towing it anywhere. 

It's a weird interior. I looked on an Elliott 9.6 that's for sale in my club and the interior seemed an ok size, so in theory a T980 could be big enough inside, but it's such a strange layout that it looks more like the interior from a 23 footer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, hoppy said:

One of these?

a1f62f4b-4eaa-4996-a969-dd2de1df0350.jpg

I wouldn't know where to keep a trailer and even if my A5 had a tow bar, I don't think I'd be towing it anywhere. 

It's a weird interior. I looked on an Elliott 9.6 that's for sale in my club and the interior seemed an ok size, so in theory a T980 could be big enough inside, but it's such a strange layout that it looks more like the interior from a 23 footer.

Yeah bit funky in the interior.  If it was in QLD I'd take a look for myself. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, hoppy said:

I spoke to "Sportscar" about Sportscar and whilst I probably will have a look at it, I think it's perhaps a little small for my liking. Does sound like a fun boat though.

https://yachthub.com/list/yachts-for-sale/used/sail-monohulls/thompson-t980/212750

Hoppy,

 

It’s interesting to see all of the boats you are looking at and dreaming of owning and the size has been from 30’ - 45’ foot. Now it’s all fine and good to dream about what we would like and $80k will buy. 

 

Now the T920 is a great Boat and it ticks a lot of boxes of what you have told us of what you are looking for in a $80k Boat and is a boat you could almost have your cake and eat it as well. Meaning you can race it and still take the family out as well. 

 

Now my question is.

It’s all good to buy a $80k Boat to race and cruise and down size from your 40 footer to save money, Now what is your budget for running costs you want to spend each year with your racing and Boat cost ?

 

Now I used to find I could run a 16-20 footer and be at the pointy end of the fleet, I could run a 25 footer and still travel to races and regattas by road and have lots of fun and be in the top half of the fleet or I could cruise a 30-35 footer all for the same budget. If you look back a few years ago Any one with a 38-45 footer who Was doing any modifications to the rig and sail plans for racing all looked at changing the boats sail plan to suit a Farr 40 or Sydney 38 sail plan to save money on campaigning by using there old gear to save money. 

 

So what’s your budget you want to spend a year on racing as this help you in choosing the right size and boat for your needs. After all there is only so many fun tickets you can spend each year and not get yourself in trouble with the boss.

 

Pulpit

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, SCANAS said:

Yeah bit funky in the interior.  If it was in QLD I'd take a look for myself. 

I've been thinking that the interior was eerily familiar, but I've been confused as to why. Then it finally dawned on me, it's very similar to the private rooms in pole dancing clubs I used to frequent. Chrome the mast, block the windows, add mood lighting, some whiskey and an entertainer and I'll be reliving my youth. :)

4_4.jpg 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Probably about the same running costs $330 an hour in the captains chsir. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, pulpit said:

Hoppy,

 

It’s interesting to see all of the boats you are looking at and dreaming of owning and the size has been from 30’ - 45’ foot. Now it’s all fine and good to dream about what we would like and $80k will buy. 

 

Now the T920 is a great Boat and it ticks a lot of boxes of what you have told us of what you are looking for in a $80k Boat and is a boat you could almost have your cake and eat it as well. Meaning you can race it and still take the family out as well. 

 

Now my question is.

It’s all good to buy a $80k Boat to race and cruise and down size from your 40 footer to save money, Now what is your budget for running costs you want to spend each year with your racing and Boat cost ?

 

Now I used to find I could run a 16-20 footer and be at the pointy end of the fleet, I could run a 25 footer and still travel to races and regattas by road and have lots of fun and be in the top half of the fleet or I could cruise a 30-35 footer all for the same budget. If you look back a few years ago Any one with a 38-45 footer who Was doing any modifications to the rig and sail plans for racing all looked at changing the boats sail plan to suit a Farr 40 or Sydney 38 sail plan to save money on campaigning by using there old gear to save money. 

 

So what’s your budget you want to spend a year on racing as this help you in choosing the right size and boat for your needs. After all there is only so many fun tickets you can spend each year and not get yourself in trouble with the boss.

 

Pulpit

As little as I can get away with ;)

I'm not "downsizing" from my Jeanneau to save money, I'm reducing the capital investment in a yacht. So once it's all done, I'll have a yacht that is more fit for purpose and a pile of cash. Marina berth, haul out, maintenance and bottom scrubs will be similar to what my Jeanneau costs and whilst the boat will be smaller, the sail area will be similar or greater, so the replacement sail prices will be similar priced to the race sails I was quoted for my Jeanneau.

I will be keeping an upgrade kitty for upgrades in the early day of ownership.

I will be staying away form "arms race" upgrades like there is in OD and at the pointy end of some fleets. Most of the boats I'm looking at will be competitive and fun to race within RMYS under PHS, but will perhaps require a decent investment and a hell of a lot of crewing skill to be competitive in IRC, AMS or ORCi in mixed fleet regattas. I'm a realist about the measurement handicaps and will only get them, just to compete, not win. 

I probably could be just as happy to race my jeanneau, but a race sails upgrade would be the minimum requirement and I dont want to throw more money at it as I don't need it for cruising...

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, SCANAS said:

Probably about the same running costs $330 an hour in the captains chsir. 

:)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, hoppy said:

:)

 

I can smell the fake tan! Good times. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

great thread guys. last couple posts have me reminiscing

Hoppy, similar position - i'm off to look at a West Coast US boat tomorrow.  She's an older IMS boat, that looks to have a minimal interior and with some elbow grease may shine up nice, and she's quick.  Not sports boat quick, but ocean racer quick.  Longer legs for longer courses.

 

I'm hopeful it's not a shitshow.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Raz'r said:

great thread guys. last couple posts have me reminiscing

Hoppy, similar position - i'm off to look at a West Coast US boat tomorrow.  She's an older IMS boat, that looks to have a minimal interior and with some elbow grease may shine up nice, and she's quick.  Not sports boat quick, but ocean racer quick.  Longer legs for longer courses.

 

I'm hopeful it's not a shitshow.

 

I guess it all depends on how honest the broker/seller is with the photos. Luckily when I flew to check out my Jeanneau, it was "as advertised" and more :) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, SCANAS said:

I can smell the fake tan! Good times. 

If I was still single and had a T980 I'd be using my past hobby of model photography to recruit crew. I'd also want to strip out the LED lighting from my Jeanneau for the T980's entertainment space... 

tumblr_o41p914RnH1qfrdcro3_1280.jpg

tumblr_o41p914RnH1qfrdcro1_1280.jpg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, hoppy said:

If I was still single and had a T980 I'd be using my past hobby of model photography to recruit crew.

 

Pics or it never happened....

:lol:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites