hoppy

Club/offshore racers in Aus up to $80k AUD

1 minute ago, hoppy said:

How do these compare to an MC31? (one recently joined the club)

For that matter, the T980?

The T980 is heavier, so I assume that the Melges 32 is better in light breezes but as the wind picks up I assume The T980 catches up?

3 minutes ago, hoppy said:

For that matter, the T980?

The T980 is heavier, so I assume that the Melges 32 is better in light breezes but as the wind picks up I assume The T980 catches up?

MC31 is a sheep in wolfs clothing. 

never seen them even come close to a Melges 32 for performance. 

IIRC 2016 Sydney Harbor Regatta the M32's we're beating the MC38's in Super 11's, while the MC31 was 'slumming' it in performance div 2 . new boat at the time to be fair. 

15 minutes ago, Hold Fast said:

MC31 is a sheep in wolfs clothing. 

never seen them even come close to a Melges 32 for performance. 

IIRC 2016 Sydney Harbor Regatta the M32's we're beating the MC38's in Super 11's, while the MC31 was 'slumming' it in performance div 2 . new boat at the time to be fair. 

Just been checking the MC31 in our races. Only seems to be doing the spinnaker pursuit in PHS and is starting and finishing last.

I guess there must be a steep learning curve for the new owners

12 hours ago, Raz'r said:

great thread guys. last couple posts have me reminiscing

Hoppy, similar position - i'm off to look at a West Coast US boat tomorrow.  She's an older IMS boat, that looks to have a minimal interior and with some elbow grease may shine up nice, and she's quick.  Not sports boat quick, but ocean racer quick.  Longer legs for longer courses.

I'm hopeful it's not a shitshow.

Start a thread! Or just buy Wolfpack...

14 minutes ago, ASP said:

Start a thread! Or just buy Wolfpack...

too small - looking for a 6-7 person PacCup 2020 ride...

4 minutes ago, Raz'r said:

too small - looking for a 6-7 person PacCup 2020 ride...

Sounds like you need a J125..

10 minutes ago, ASP said:

Sounds like you need a J125..

A couple of the crew will be 16-17 year old kids....

• Like 1

MC31 seemed to struggle in W/L mixed fleets in Sydney.   Particularly in breeze it had trouble getting to the top mark fast enough to make it's downwind speed count.    

Looked like a fun toy though. 

8 hours ago, hoppy said:

I was contributing to the cleavage thread from my own personal collection when I first joined the forum. I've since killed off my website and photo galleries.

Here is a couple. The first has a very clear clue that this is no BS ;)

520751681a346.jpg

52075411e1e6d.jpg

Are you still looking for crew Hoppy? I'm rubbish at sailing but at least I'm easily distracted.

3 hours ago, hoppy said:

I guess there must be a steep learning curve for the new owners

only if you're referring to bleeding $$$

Good PHS boat

Jeez that M32 is a beaut! Anyone got pics of the interior (as an example) as despite having a missus that loves sailing, she'd need to be convinced of its ability to accomodate a weekend away... Could always upgrade to one of those Hoppy models I guess?

3 hours ago, resist said:

Are you still looking for crew Hoppy? I'm rubbish at sailing but at least I'm easily distracted.

Easily distracted by fat ugly old guys?

Denice only came sailing in Greece. As she's  in Sweden and we race in Melbourne, she isn't part of the crew...

9 hours ago, hoppy said:

Now days the focus of my photography has change, but sometimes old habits die hard... 

tumblr_oroythQIrM1w3y4jpo2_1280.jpg

Faaarck it is Jack sparrow!!!!

24 minutes ago, hoppy said:

Easily distracted by fat ugly old guys?

Denice only came sailing in Greece. As she's  in Sweden and we race in Melbourne, she isn't part of the crew...

Well the deal is fucking off then :angry:

10 hours ago, hoppy said:

Now days the focus of my photography has change, but sometimes old habits die hard... 

tumblr_oroythQIrM1w3y4jpo2_1280.jpg

sit   ,  stay   ,   good baby :D

On 1/30/2018 at 10:50 PM, hoppy said:

I've been thinking that the interior was eerily familiar, but I've been confused as to why. Then it finally dawned on me, it's very similar to the private rooms in pole dancing clubs I used to frequent. Chrome the mast, block the windows, add mood lighting, some whiskey and an entertainer and I'll be reliving my youth. :)

4_4.jpg 

Best of both worlds - A vertical pole and a horizontal one for added variety.

Looks like it has a Thommo style canting assy pole - good value those things - you can run much deeper with your assy when you need to.

Has been a good all round boat but no way is it M32 fast. Then again the M32 doesn't have any of the T 980 comforts that we see  here. Horses for courses. Good choice this one Hoppy, you could do a lot worse

17 hours ago, hoppy said:

Just noticed a new boat for sale that is within spitting distance of $80k

Unfortunately a Melges 32 is not exactly suitable for a family weekend or an ocean race. Looks pretty cool anyway.

How do these compare to an MC31? (one recently joined the club)

https://yachthub.com/list/yachts-for-sale/used/sail-monohulls/melges-32/212914

Melges 32 are great fun boats. MC31 doesn’t even get close. 

0B07BAEC-45C9-44E7-B300-12E841CCAEAC.jpeg

Hoppy have you looked at the comparison between polars of the T980 and M32? Obviously the latter would be quicker but it would be interesting to see how different..:

On 30/01/2018 at 10:50 PM, hoppy said:

I've been thinking that the interior was eerily familiar, but I've been confused as to why. Then it finally dawned on me, it's very similar to the private rooms in pole dancing clubs I used to frequent. Chrome the mast, block the windows, add mood lighting, some whiskey and an entertainer and I'll be reliving my youth. :)

4_4.jpg 

I had a look on Sportscar today. Above deck it looked great and for what I want it for, I think it would be a barrel of laughs. However the fact that the head, when fitted, is forward of the pole dancing lounge and open, is a killer. Being able to see anyone taking a dump is not something I want to experience.  

Another issue that would disappear if you convince Denise to come back...

1 hour ago, hoppy said:

However the fact that the head, when fitted, is forward of the pole dancing lounge and open, is a killer. Being able to see anyone taking a dump is not something I want to experience.  

How often is the MC31 racing? I've only seen them out once or twice.

2 minutes ago, resist said:

Another issue that would disappear if you convince Denise to come back...

How often is the MC31 racing? I've only seen them out once or twice.

They've done a couple of Twilights in the spinnaker race and have been the last or 2nd last boat to finish. Not sure about the weekend races. I think they may have done the FOS

3 hours ago, hoppy said:

I had a look on Sportscar today. Above deck it looked great and for what I want it for, I think it would be a barrel of laughs. However the fact that the head, when fitted, is forward of the pole dancing lounge and open, is a killer. Being able to see anyone taking a dump is not something I want to experience.  

Terrible boat. I'll take it off their hands for 40k delievered to Brisbane. Practically doing them a favour ;) 

3 hours ago, hoppy said:

They've done a couple of Twilights in the spinnaker race and have been the last or 2nd last boat to finish. Not sure about the weekend races. I think they may have done the FOS

The MC31 was seen on a mooring at Geelong after the passage race but I don't think they stayed for the rest of the regatta. $350 to do one 35 mile race? 

5 hours ago, hoppy said:

Who the fuck takes a dump in a sportsboat? Or in any race boat on an afternoon  race? The fact that their crapper isn't even fitted should tell you something.  Maybe you could issue your crew with nappies.

24 minutes ago, Last Post said:

Who the fuck takes a dump in a sportsboat? Or in any race boat on an afternoon  race? The fact that their crapper isn't even fitted should tell you something.  Maybe you could issue your crew with nappies.

That's not a sportsboat. 

1 hour ago, Last Post said:

I do want a boat for ocean races (M2D & L2H) and for an odd family weekend. One of my crew already come with nappies....

Is it just me that thinks the answer to your quest is a Farr 40 with an aftermarket bowsprit.  I know of two of these sold within your price range with good club level gear.  Unfortunately the best one became a donor deck & rig.

TUBBY

• Like 1

On 01/02/2018 at 11:24 PM, TUBBY said:

Is it just me that thinks the answer to your quest is a Farr 40 with an aftermarket bowsprit.  I know of two of these sold within your price range with good club level gear.  Unfortunately the best one became a donor deck & rig.

TUBBY

The Farr 40 is a little too primitive inside for the family cruising days and a bit too big for my marina berth (my Jeanneau is pushing the tape measure) and the farr's are around the $130k mark at the moment. A Sydney 38 is probably the biggest and most expensive I think I'd be happy to consider. But it all depends on what I get for my Jeanneau.

Selling a boat is a boring and frustrating process. Just noticed another $10k drop in price of one of my interests and another has been listed with a new broker.

Need a fidget spinner....

Just following the tracker of the Adelaide to Port Lincoln race. The fleet is a good representation of the speed  of some of the boat types mentioned in this thread and boats in my clubs fleet. The Archambult 40 RC "Arcadia" I race against is in the race, so I get to see the speed of three Sydney 38's, Farr 40, Young 11, modified Mumm 36 and a few others against Arcadia. Also there is a couple of Sydney 32's, First 44.7 & First 40 which we race.

Currently two of the S38's are grouped with Arcadia (third a bit ahead) and the M36 is close behind. The Y11 is halfway between the S38's and S32's. The Farr 40 is as expected the fastest boat from this thread.

http://www.lincolnweek.com.au/registration-on-water-information/trackers-for-race.html

No new boats on the market of any interest. One S38 has been sold and some price drops.

11 hours ago, hoppy said:

Just following the tracker of the Adelaide to Port Lincoln race. The fleet is a good representation of the speed  of some of the boat types mentioned in this thread and boats in my clubs fleet. The Archambult 40 RC "Arcadia" I race against is in the race, so I get to see the speed of three Sydney 38's, Farr 40, Young 11, modified Mumm 36 and a few others against Arcadia. Also there is a couple of Sydney 32's, First 44.7 & First 40 which we race.

Currently two of the S38's are grouped with Arcadia (third a bit ahead) and the M36 is close behind. The Y11 is halfway between the S38's and S32's. The Farr 40 is as expected the fastest boat from this thread.

http://www.lincolnweek.com.au/registration-on-water-information/trackers-for-race.html

No new boats on the market of any interest. One S38 has been sold and some price drops.

Hoppy, do you know what's happened to Magic? 0knots 040 for a while now

7 hours ago, Change said:

Hoppy, do you know what's happened to Magic? 0knots 040 for a while now

Don't know, looks like it's going ok now.

Looks like a lot of boats were parked up last night.

What's peoples thoughts on the First 40.7? I guess they are perhaps a bit slower than a Sydney 38. How can they go in IRC & AMS? I presume they were designed for IMS.

They are well over my 80k budget and don't exactly excite me, but they are almost as comfortable as my Jeanneau and it is a boat that may possibly give me a 50% purchase partner. 2 x 80k could get a neat 40.7 and a new set of race sails.

Brilliant IRC handicapper.

There’s squillions of them, reminds me of owning a commodore, my eye travels straight past them on the water, caravan esque below.

Make sure you get a cardigan to go with it. 

3 minutes ago, shaggybaxter said:

Make sure you get a cardigan to go with it. 

I already have one for my Jeanneau.

14 minutes ago, hoppy said:

I already have one for my Jeanneau.

Some cardy’s are cool Hoppy. I dunno, First’s are good boats,  they just remind me of a boat you buy to win pickle dishes. I like to feel something for my boat, I think you do too from the depth of research undertaken, even the 44.7 doesn’t stoke any emotion for me.

The Firsts are more appealing than the old style Jeanneau Sun Fast's, but I'd rather a fat bottomed planning boat like the modern SF's and even your Pogo. Given that they don't come close to my budget, old boats that are light and can get up and go downwind or at least are fast for their size are the more exciting option.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, hoppy said:

What's peoples thoughts on the First 40.7? I guess they are perhaps a bit slower than a Sydney 38. How can they go in IRC & AMS? I presume they were designed for IMS.

They are well over my 80k budget and don't exactly excite me, but they are almost as comfortable as my Jeanneau and it is a boat that may possibly give me a 50% purchase partner. 2 x 80k could get a neat 40.7 and a new set of race sails.

Good on rating, not the nicest to sail, check the keel and the type of person who has owned it how it has been looked after/fixed, I know some people that wouldn't step aboard one and that was well before the one that lost the keel on the way back to the UK

The B 40.7 should go upwind as quick as a S38 but they don't reach or run as well.

Check out the rudder post before purchase. I seem to remember Michael Spies dropping a rudder out of a 40.7 in a S2H back when they were the new kid on the block.

Mex

Regardless of whichever boat I one day make an offer on, a surveyor will go over it with a fine tooth comb.

2 hours ago, mexican said:

The B 40.7 should go upwind as quick as a S38 but they don't reach or run as well.

Check out the rudder post before purchase. I seem to remember Michael Spies dropping a rudder out of a 40.7 in a S2H back when they were the new kid on the block.

Mex

The steering 'cable' on the original 40.7 beachballs used to be dyneema or some similar synthetic cordage with a spliced loop and a pin securing it to the quadrant. It only took a tiny amount of stretch and the pin fell out. Coombsy should remember that, I think it happened to nearly all of them here in Australia from the late '90s.  Not sure what they did to fix the problem but you don't hear of it happening these days and there a lot of them out there.

Hoppy,

The 40.7 First is good, faster than the SunFast. If you're going to have a competitive 40.7 on IRC it needs a good sail wardrobe and a good crew (same could probably be said about any IRC boat really...). Most of the 40.7's are around the 1.054-1.058 rating. As Mexican said a S38 is better downhill but sparser downstairs.

For a 3 cabin racer/cruiser the 40.7 is pretty good (I think most/all of the Oz ones have had their keel done).

The "budget" IRC killer IMHO is the newer (now old) First 40 - I think they rate 1.075-1.082ish but these would be outside your stated $'s... S38 still a damn good racer though...

Any thoughts on the Northshore NS108?

It's the race version of the NS369 with a taller rig and lighter. Earlier discussions indicate that the older NSX36 was a better racer than the NS369, so do the mod to create the NS108 rectify that?

I'm not really a fan of the huge wheel of the NS369, so the tiller on the 108 looks good.A nice big open cockpit.

https://www.boatsales.com.au/boats/details/2007-NORTHSHORE-NS-369/OAG-AD-15166529/?cr=0&psq=(LengthInMeters%3Drange[9..12]%26((((Service%3D[Boatsales]%26Price%3Drange[35000..140000])%26BoatType%3D[Sail])%26(((SiloType%3D[Dealer used boats]|SiloType%3D[Dealer new boats])|SiloType%3D[Private used boats])|SiloType%3D[Demo and near new boats]))%26Usage%3D[Racing]))&pso=0&pss=~LastUpdated

I like this comment from the brochure

image.thumb.png.ff059005fc776e3df75058e84eac336a.png

http://www.northshoreyachts.com.au/upload/NS108 e Brochure.pdf

Hmmm the boat for sale is the boat in the brochure

3 hours ago, hoppy said:

I'm not really a fan of the huge wheel of the NS369, so the tiller on the 108 looks good.A nice big open cockpit.

Is head room a factor in your requirements ?

With 78M^2 of sail area you will be flying in light winds.

3R

2 minutes ago, Third Reef said:

Is head room a factor in your requirements ?

It's not as important as it would be in a cruiser. 

17 minutes ago, Third Reef said:

With 78M^2 of sail area you will be flying in light winds.

6sqm more than the 369

The similar size and weight, Elliott 10.5 HA, has 84sqm

4 hours ago, hoppy said:

It's the race version of the NS369 with a taller rig and lighter. Earlier discussions indicate that the older NSX36 was a better racer than the NS369, so do the mod to create the NS108 rectify that?

https://www.boatsales.com.au/boats/details/2007-NORTHSHORE-NS-369/OAG-AD-15166529/?cr=0&psq=(LengthInMeters%3Drange[9..12]%26((((Service%3D[Boatsales]%26Price%3Drange[35000..140000])%26BoatType%3D[Sail])%26(((SiloType%3D[Dealer used boats]|SiloType%3D[Dealer new boats])|SiloType%3D[Private used boats])|SiloType%3D[Demo and near new boats]))%26Usage%3D[Racing]))&pso=0&pss=~LastUpdated

I like this comment from the brochure

image.thumb.png.ff059005fc776e3df75058e84eac336a.png

http://www.northshoreyachts.com.au/upload/NS108 e Brochure.pdf

I think you will find that “limited edition” means “one”. And you’re looking at it.

"If you want to be out at the front of the fleet in the Twilight races this season NS108 is the boat for you."

Hahahahahahaha

41 minutes ago, greasy al said:

I think you will find that “limited edition” means “one”. And you’re looking at it.

So the brochure did not excite the new buying public. :)

9 minutes ago, Bill E Goat said:

"If you want to be out at the front of the fleet in the Twilight races this season NS108 is the boat for you."

Hahahahahahaha

Yeah, I read that and thought they were not very ambitious ;)

2 hours ago, Next Level said:

For 100k, you would buy a 38 over that POS!

Yeah, good point...

Hey Hoppy and others,

How do you feel about the risks of foam core hull construction?  

In this price range I guess you will typically be looking at being the 2nd or 3rd owner of a boat over 10 years old. I have heard that it is quite difficult to pick up issues in a survey. There is also the risk of an unchecked puncture whilst cruising that could write off the boat.(Although looking at the way you take care of your boat it seems unlikely).

Is this why racer/cruisers look so attractive compared to solid GRP cruisers?

There is a quite a bit of negative press on foam core, but on the flip side, there are lots of boats out there successfully racing.

3R

re the 40.7, not sure who says they rate well except they did on IMS years ago. On IRC, they are shite. If you have one, you need the new rudder to replace the original one that stalls and rolls you over. The best one around was dick fiddocks fruit machine that was at rmys a couple of years ago. Not sure where it is now. the New First 40's rate better but not in the price range.

Great room and features for a 40 footer though.

16 hours ago, Third Reef said:

Hey Hoppy and others,

In this price range I guess you will typically be looking at being the 2nd or 3rd owner of a boat over 10 years old. I have heard that it is quite difficult to pick up issues in a survey. There is also the risk of an unchecked puncture whilst cruising that could write off the boat.(Although looking at the way you take care of your boat it seems unlikely).

There is a quite a bit of negative press on foam core, but on the flip side, there are lots of boats out there successfully racing.

3R

Plenty of foam cored boats getting around, it's not a death sentence like balsa. 

Better yet get a timber core. 

16 hours ago, Third Reef said:

Hey Hoppy and others,

3R

Don't really know much about the topic. I'll deal with it once I'm in a position to actually decide on which boat to place an offer on.

I did find one random comment on a home build boat forum about foam core which makes foam core sound promising 

I made a PVC foam cored kiteboard many years ago... i put a hole in it about the size of a 10cent peice from hitting some rocks one day... it went right through the laminate and into the core about half way through so you you could see exposed foam etc... i never bothered to fill the hole with resin as i wanted to see how long it would last... it gets used frequaently and hole is always full of water when in use... the damage has never spread or delaminated around the original damaged area. The foam does not absorb water, the data sheet says < 1%. I have absolute faith in foam cored composites and their longevity, just doint expect them to withstand impacts very well.

A new boat in my 80k price range, another 1D35.

Just a shame that the head location makes it a no go for even a rare family cruise. 

https://yachthub.com/list/yachts-for-sale/used/sail-monohulls/one-design-35/214172

the other 1D35 in WA is still for sale.

https://yachthub.com/list/yachts-for-sale/used/sail-monohulls/one-design-35-turbo/201275

13 hours ago, hoppy said:

Just a shame that the head location makes it a no go for even a rare family cruise. 

https://yachthub.com/list/yachts-for-sale/used/sail-monohulls/one-design-35/214172

the other 1D35 in WA is still for sale.

https://yachthub.com/list/yachts-for-sale/used/sail-monohulls/one-design-35-turbo/201275

the idea was a cruiser/racer wasn't it?

1D35 is a bit spartan

13 hours ago, hoppy said:

Just put a full-width curtain in at the mast which can be retracted to either the mast or either side.

21 hours ago, huwp said:

re the 40.7, not sure who says they rate well except they did on IMS years ago. On IRC, they are shite. If you have one, you need the new rudder to replace the original one that stalls and rolls you over. The best one around was dick fiddocks fruit machine that was at rmys a couple of years ago. Not sure where it is now. the New First 40's rate better but not in the price range.

Great room and features for a 40 footer though.

Pretty sure Fruit Machine is now based in Hobart, doing ok (but not setting the world on fire)... did the L2H this year

52 minutes ago, Hold Fast said:

the idea was a cruiser/racer wasn't it?

1D35 is a bit spartan

Racer/cruiser is perhaps a better description. 

A bit spartan can be ok, but there needs to be a floor and private plumbed head (not porta potty)

54 minutes ago, duncan (the other one) said:

Just put a full-width curtain in at the mast which can be retracted to either the mast or either side.

Needs to be at least semi-private with a curtain in place of a door. If it's like the WA 1D35, then it has a porta-potty... no, never..

If I get desperate I could look at making a private cabin and fitting a Jabsco.

Hoppy,

Are you sure you are not looking for an old J35? The ones I have sailed on seemed build well. Sails easily with small crew. Nice size for evening races. They do very well offshore. You should be able get get a well maintained one and put some new sails on for your budget.

3 hours ago, Next Level said:

Elliot 10.5 - kick for sale.

Looks interesting. The deck and bow shape is very different to that of High Anxiety and the other 10.5's. Will be interested to see the listing once it's on Yoti's site.

24 minutes ago, Zander said:

Hoppy,

Are you sure you are not looking for an old J35? The ones I have sailed on seemed build well. Sails easily with small crew. Nice size for evening races. They do very well offshore. You should be able get get a well maintained one and put some new sails on for your budget.

I had seen one listed but it did not interest me. Old fashioned fin keel and does not look like it will be much faster than my Jeanneau. 

32 minutes ago, hoppy said:

Looks interesting. The deck and bow shape is very different to that of High Anxiety and the other 10.5's. Will be interested to see the listing once it's on Yoti's site.

I found I think is an old listing for Kick, probably from when the CO bought it. No roller unit, no lazyjacks and a different boom cover. I think its a 1050, not a 10.5.

http://boatdeck.com.au/elliot-10-5-2/

We have a 1050 in the club and it's pretty fast and does well in races. 

Looks like a nice boat but it sounds like the sail wardrobe might be out of date especially if the current owner has only used it as a cruiser. If priced right, it could be a good option. 

Elliot 1050's are awesome boats!

Big volume, easily handled, reasonably quick for their age and great cruisers

If in your price range they would be a great choice

Cheers

Dave

If I sell my Jeanneau soon, maybe I'll have 2 Elliotts to inspect. Looks like Kick & High Anxiety were racing head to head a few years back when Kick was with the PO. Will be interesting to go through their results.

45 minutes ago, hoppy said:

I found I think is an old listing for Kick, probably from when the CO bought it. No roller unit, no lazyjacks and a different boom cover. I think its a 1050, not a 10.5.

http://boatdeck.com.au/elliot-10-5-2/

We have a 1050 in the club and it's pretty fast and does well in races. 

Looks like a nice boat but it sounds like the sail wardrobe might be out of date especially if the current owner has only used it as a cruiser. If priced right, it could be a good option. 

Brokers / Sellers take note. THAT is how the interior should look in a listing! 

4 minutes ago, SCANAS said:

Yeah, sometimes I just can't believe the crap they leave lying around when the photos are taken.

4 minutes ago, hoppy said:

Yeah, sometimes I just can't believe the crap they leave lying around when the photos are taken.

House or Car. Research done, surf the net, check prices, clean it to within an inch of its life.

Boat? Polished it last year, give it a hose, make sure it's still wet in the photos so we all know it was filthy just before the pic, have everything you have collected in your life onboard including those totally fucked 25yr old spare sheets that would explode in the sunlight. Add up what it owes you, stick 10k on top, find a broker lazy enough to not slap some sense into you & pay 3yrs more Marina bills while it sits. 

On 28/08/2017 at 10:05 AM, SPORTSCAR said:

Liz Wardley / David Witt's Osaka boat was (originally) Dixie Chicken, an Elliott 11m which was a sister yacht to Phil Simpfendorfer's highly successful E-11, Veloce, also previously raced out of SYC. Both were built by Blue Casley for New Yachts. Veloce was constantly upgraded with a new IRC rig and several keel changes to keep her winning, I sold Veloce to Qld a few years ago and she has changed hands a couple more times since. Last I heard she had been sold off cheaply due to some storm damage. Was a great boat.

Was talking about Veloce last night at the club. I seems Phil is my marina neighbours bro-in-law or something like that.

10 minutes ago, SCANAS said:

House or Car. Research done, surf the net, check prices, clean it to within an inch of its life.

Boat? Polished it last year, give it a hose, make sure it's still wet in the photos so we all know it was filthy just before the pic, have everything you have collected in your life onboard including those totally fucked 25yr old spare sheets that would explode in the sunlight. Add up what it owes you, stick 10k on top, find a broker lazy enough to not slap some sense into you & pay 3yrs more Marina bills while it sits. 

You just made me realise that this thread is 7 months old and my Jeanneau's been listed for 6 months. I'm just glad it's not sitting at the marina unused as we have tried to race every twilight. 

When my old man was selling his Salar 40, they rejected a lowish offer and then sold a year later for an even lower price after paying a over 10k for another year of marina berthing plus a haul out and antifoul.

38 minutes ago, hoppy said:

If I sell my Jeanneau soon, maybe I'll have 2 Elliotts to inspect. Looks like Kick & High Anxiety were racing head to head a few years back when Kick was with the PO. Will be interesting to go through their results.

Looks like the two have had some close races, Kick seemed to have a slight speed edge in 2014. 

15 minutes ago, hoppy said:

You just made me realise that this thread is 7 months old and my Jeanneau's been listed for 6 months. I'm just glad it's not sitting at the marina unused as we have tried to race every twilight. 

When my old man was selling his Salar 40, they rejected a lowish offer and then sold a year later for an even lower price after paying a over 10k for another year of marina berthing plus a haul out and antifoul.

Esp if it's say under 50k a year of fees can chew up your money pretty quick. 

There was a swarbrick 27 pinnacle at a local marina. Very ugly boat with a tall coachroof & a viewing dome. Boom looked ridiculously high etc. A few mates would always joke about it being a seaworthy boat to buy, sail to Asia & just step off & come home. We watched it come down in price for years. That seller definitely would have been better off financially selling it for $1 on day one. 

7 hours ago, SCANAS said:

Esp if it's say under 50k a year of fees can chew up your money pretty quick. 

There was a swarbrick 27 pinnacle at a local marina. Very ugly boat with a tall coachroof & a viewing dome. Boom looked ridiculously high etc. A few mates would always joke about it being a seaworthy boat to buy, sail to Asia & just step off & come home. We watched it come down in price for years. That seller definitely would have been better off financially selling it for $1 on day one. 

There are a couple of Columbia 27's in my row which have never left the dock

One was recently given to the guy who runs the clubs sailing school and the other is for sale, priced at 33% more than the annual mooring fee :) 

https://www.boatsales.com.au/boats/details/1980-COLUMBIA-27/SSE-AD-4413321/?cr=6&psq=((Service%3D[Boatsales]%26Make%3D[COLUMBIA])%26(((SiloType%3D[Dealer used boats]|SiloType%3D[Dealer new boats])|SiloType%3D[Private used boats])|SiloType%3D[Demo and near new boats]))&pso=0&pss=Premium

Listing it for $1 would probably be a smart idea.

8 hours ago, dr_dave said:

Elliot 1050's are awesome boats!

Big volume, easily handled, reasonably quick for their age and great cruisers

If in your price range they would be a great choice

Cheers

Dave

Given that it was listed for $89k a few years back (possibly it was 2015) I would guess that $70k might now be the sensible listing price, but you never know.

Kick was built by Ian Harvey for himself. possibly the last one. A very good boat builder. He took it to Hammo and then sold it there.

12 hours ago, SCANAS said:

Yep. Some sellers tell us their boats are ready to photograph for listing when the interior looks like an explosion in an Op Shop, beer cans or worse in the sink, filthy toilets, sails lying around un-bagged etc. You wouldn't offer up your home or your car for sale looking like that and boats are no different. 

42 minutes ago, Jono said:

Kick was built by Ian Harvey for himself. possibly the last one. A very good boat builder. He took it to Hammo and then sold it there.

JG, was Ian Harvey post Gary Banks / Ian Margan at Eagle Yachts?

As I recall, after Ian M wound up Eagle, he still owned the moulds and Ian Heither moulded them and fitted them out or they were laid up elsewhere and he did the rest. I'm pretty sure Ian H did all the 1060? charter boats that came out when the 1050s stopped selling.

Kaimai Flyer is still for sale. Bargain for someone..... And the best Farr 1104 in the world has just come on the market in NZ. Asking NZ69k but they have bought and want to sell Revolution. I'm not biased...........IRC bandit for someone, and a beautiful short handed boat. Better this than a S&S34

I contacted Yoti and got some info about Kick

It will be online next week and listed for $79k. The current owner added a berth in the forward sail locker which could be handy but unfortunately the roller unit is a Profurl C350 which is junk and useless to me as it can't be removed for racing. It's a shame they did not fit a unit that can be easily removed.

A definite possibility if it's still for sale once I'm finally boatless.

'

10 hours ago, Jono said:

I know Ian and agree he is an excellent builder

May be worth checking it out

Hoppy - great thread.  Since I was in a similar position(I was selling a cruiser for a racer) - just some random thoughts.

Sell your boat. Be flexible/aggressive on price. Be the cheapest boat out there amongst competing models. Make sure it's really clean. Put it with a high volume broker that has lots of foot traffic. I took about $15k less than I thought I could get, but how long would I wait and pay slip fees for that amount? I originally went with a broker with whom I had a personal connection, but the boat just didn't see the traffic, sat for 8 months. Moved it to the front row of 2nd broker, sold in 2 months DURING THE LOW SEASON.  To a guy who was walking by.

I envy your boat choices. We have older US West Coast sleds, but you're talking 35 years old+, or the CataBeneHunters, or the J-Boats. I really looked at the Js but the prices have stayed verrrryyyy high. I ended up looking at early IMS rated boats as they were moderate in most dimensions, and had a minimal interior. Head, galley, settee, adequate berths.

I had an accepted offer on my IMS boat, at 73% of their asking price (which made my price concession on my boat a lot easier to take) the day after my funds cleared. Of course, i'm still on the brokers "hey, you should look at this" email list, and something better just came on the market, but that's the way it is. There's ALWAYS a better boat coming on the market. 

Good luck with your transactions!

3 hours ago, Raz'r said:

I envy your boat choices. We have older US West Coast sleds, but you're talking 35 years old+, or the CataBeneHunters, or the J-Boats. I really looked at the Js but the prices have stayed verrrryyyy high. I ended up looking at early IMS rated boats as they were moderate in most dimensions, and had a minimal interior. Head, galley, settee, adequate berths.

It does seem that in Aus & NZ we used to make a lot of good club racers like the various Farr's, Elliott's, Young's, Northshore, etc that now come into the 80k price range. Eventually the Sydney 38's and even Cookson 12's will end up down in this budget. 

I do worry that in 10 or 20 years there will be very few boat