hoppy

Club/offshore racers in Aus up to $80k AUD

Recommended Posts

41 minutes ago, Third Reef said:

Providing the balsa core is sound that boat looks unreal. Bonus that it is already certified for Cat 1 with quality coms gear. 

It’s like big sister to Addiction that is on the same arm as Matrix.

Have you considered any of the other Inglis cedar strip compsite 37/38’ boats ?

https://yachthub.com/list/yachts-for-sale/used/sail-monohulls/inglis-38/202404

Looked at the listing but all of that timber is a bit off putting and a bit old and drab.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Bill E Goat said:

I keep looking at it but can't help wondering why it's so cheap. I half expect that the sail wardrobe might be a bit old.

It's the same broker as for She's the Culprit so I'd probably inquire if they're around when I'm cashed up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, hoppy said:

Or maybe a Facnor FD190

Might be possible to use with race sails and make WL racing easier at the buoys...

Facnor-FD190.jpg

 

https://www.mauriprosailing.com/us/product/FACFD190.html

Hoppy,

I run a Facnor  Flat deck, and my headsail's pretty much a decksweeper. We were holding off a DK46 and J130 going to windward last week, so they're not too shabby.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, hoppy said:

I keep looking at it but can't help wondering why it's so cheap. I half expect that the sail wardrobe might be a bit old.

It's the same broker as for She's the Culprit so I'd probably inquire if they're around when I'm cashed up.

Run. Don’t walk. Run. Away.

They were bad when they were new. Time will not have improved them. A boat with an in line rig with runners, checks and iffy stability is NOT family friendly.

Edit: someone has replaced the original keel with something I think is meant to be a T keel, but is more like a T keel’s Mexican, non-union equivalent. Just don’t.

Edited by greasy al
Further information

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Bill E Goat said:

Thierry Martinez, the talented marine photographer, took a classic series of shots of one of those turkeys lying on its side with spreaders in the water and keel out. Wish I could find it right now.

Low stability, low performing shitbox. MBD should have been flogged for designing that thing. IIRC, they built a batch of them as a one-design fleet for an Admirals Cup series and chartered them to each competing country for  nominal fee of $1.00. Some of the guys who raced on them were asking for change by mid-way through that series.

Later, they took a chainsaw to the hull moulds and cut off a couple of feet and, voila, you have the Sydney 38. They should have made the cut about twenty feet further forward.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Last Post said:

Thierry Martinez, the talented marine photographer, took a classic series of shots of one of those turkeys lying on its side with spreaders in the water and keel out. Wish I could find it right now.

Low stability, low performing shitbox. MBD should have been flogged for designing that thing. IIRC, they built a batch of them as a one-design fleet for an Admirals Cup series and chartered them to each competing country for  nominal fee of $1.00. Some of the guys who raced on them were asking for change by mid-way through that series.

Later, they took a chainsaw to the hull moulds and cut off a couple of feet and, voila, you have the Sydney 38. They should have made the cut about twenty feet further forward.

Quite low Ballast to displacement ratio. 10% less than a Farr 40OD.

I guess this differentiates the crews in a OD design race.

3R

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Last Post said:

Later, they took a chainsaw to the hull moulds and cut off a couple of feet and, voila, you have the Sydney 38. They should have made the cut about twenty feet further forward.

Then put a new deck on and a Sydney 39, those guys made the most out a mould - 3 versions of the 36 

I think you mean this one

Silk-2.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, greasy al said:

Run. Don’t walk. Run. Away.

They were bad when they were new. Time will not have improved them. A boat with an in line rig with runners, checks and iffy stability is NOT family friendly.

Edit: someone has replaced the original keel with something I think is meant to be a T keel, but is more like a T keel’s Mexican, non-union equivalent. Just don’t.

I saw the runners bu had not paid attention to the inline spreaders. Got in my car and drove away at licence losing speeds.

I now understand the price.....

What I did notice strange with that boat was the shape of the keel bulb. It looks like they made the bulb and then later realised they needed more weight and added more to the bottom near the back

17_4.jpg

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This one has been IRC modified (nearly all have been now) with bigger bulb & deeper rudder. Some have lost the carbon rig & replaced with tin swept & actually rate & sail well. Need to run mast head kites though with longer pole. One boat retained carbon stick & converted to swept & went OK. Less comfortable interior than a 38 though, but at that sort of coin is a reasonable buy ? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looking through brokers listings for possible solutions for o/p Hoppy and I came across the old Dubois 40 "Black Magic" which I had sailed on occasionally back when original owner Ron Layton owned her  but was amused to see the claim made in the brokers ad for the boat.

"Black Magic was built to compete in the Admirals Cup and represented Ireland in the 1983 Admirals Cup. She has been competitively raced in Hobart competing in the Launceston to Hobart, Sydney to Hobart and Geelong Race Weeks, her owner and crew have celebrated many successes."

I'm not aware that BM ever left Aussie shores? The 11th placed Irish team at the '83 Admirals Cup was Justine 1V, Moonduster and Stormbird and she didn't sail for any of the other 14 teams that year either so I guess I have to call BS on that claim.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/5/2018 at 3:31 PM, hoppy said:

Hoppy - If you want to know anything about her let me know. We bought when she was known as "Top Cat" out of Port Lincoln and sold her to become "Culprit" with a new owner.

There were three of these built as I recall. Top Cat/42 S/Culprit originally had a sugar scoop stern and was 38'. Matrix was extended and used a Sydney 38 rig and new designed keel. We added the enclosed bathroom, new Yanmar 30 and many other things.

There was also Rouseabout, but not sure if this Matrix's previous name.

When Todd bought her he extended her the same as Matrix and she was then sold to the guys up north who have continued to race her well.

We raced her everywhere including several Three Peaks (Bass Strait), Geelong and S2H (2006).

5a9f4af8ef617_42FranklinMed.jpg.1bb86bbe3745e9ccfc21614e43a3b9b7.jpg

This shows her keel with a pin and socket set up:-

21062008.thumb.jpg.a150ee6956f459daaa92601e8922a083.jpg

We also converted her to non-overlapping headsails as the spreaders were about 24 degrees, but she was changed back again to overlapping.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Article here which has a little information about the Inglis designs, also pictures of "Matrix" currently at RMYS when it went onto the beach at St Kilda in about 2005, damaging rig, keel etc necessitating a full rebuild. Might now have a Sydney 38 rig?

http://www.orcv.org.au/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=745:2009m2abkaos&catid=20:apollo-bay&Itemid=512 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, 42 South said:

Hoppy - If you want to know anything about her let me know. We bought when she was known as "Top Cat" out of Port Lincoln and sold her to become "Culprit" with a new owner.

There were three of these built as I recall. Top Cat/42 S/Culprit originally had a sugar scoop stern and was 38'. Matrix was extended and used a Sydney 38 rig and new designed keel. We added the enclosed bathroom, new Yanmar 30 and many other things.

There was also Rouseabout, but not sure if this Matrix's previous name.

When Todd bought her he extended her the same as Matrix and she was then sold to the guys up north who have continued to race her well.

We raced her everywhere including several Three Peaks (Bass Strait), Geelong and S2H (2006).

5a9f4af8ef617_42FranklinMed.jpg.1bb86bbe3745e9ccfc21614e43a3b9b7.jpg

This shows her keel with a pin and socket set up:-

21062008.thumb.jpg.a150ee6956f459daaa92601e8922a083.jpg

We also converted her to non-overlapping headsails as the spreaders were about 24 degrees, but she was changed back again to overlapping.

 

Jesus fuck that thing is ugly.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Last Post said:

Looking through brokers listings for possible solutions for o/p Hoppy and I came across the old Dubois 40 "Black Magic" which I had sailed on occasionally back when original owner Ron Layton owned her  but was amused to see the claim made in the brokers ad for the boat.

"Black Magic was built to compete in the Admirals Cup and represented Ireland in the 1983 Admirals Cup. She has been competitively raced in Hobart competing in the Launceston to Hobart, Sydney to Hobart and Geelong Race Weeks, her owner and crew have celebrated many successes."

I'm not aware that BM ever left Aussie shores? The 11th placed Irish team at the '83 Admirals Cup was Justine 1V, Moonduster and Stormbird and she didn't sail for any of the other 14 teams that year either so I guess I have to call BS on that claim.

 

When I first started keel boat sailing, it was the early 80's when IOR boats were king shit, so I do have a feeling of nostalgia for them, but I want something more modern. 

There was a Southern Cross Cup in 1983, maybe the Irish leased BM? I can't find the entry lists 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, 42 South said:

Hoppy - If you want to know anything about her let me know. We bought when she was known as "Top Cat" out of Port Lincoln and sold her to become "Culprit" with a new owner.

Will do if she's on my radar at shopping time. Thanks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5 March 2018 at 3:34 PM, pulpit said:

Hoppy, 

There were 2 boats built off the plug that I remember and they were E glass and balsa core. The plug was a stripped planked cedar hull and it was turned into a boat after the Osaka race. 

As far as “Priscilla” she was sold in Japan after the race. 

 

Pulpit

Is Arch Rival the 3rd cedar strip boat ?

http://www.rolexsydneyhobart.com/the-yachts/2017/arch-rival/

https://www.topyacht.com.au/mt/mt_pub.php?boid=5131

I think this closes the loop.

3R

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 01/03/2018 at 9:27 PM, Zander said:

Hoppy,

Are you sure you are not looking for an old J35? The ones I have sailed on seemed build well. Sails easily with small crew. Nice size for evening races. They do very well offshore. You should be able get get a well maintained one and put some new sails on for your budget.

 

On 01/03/2018 at 9:58 PM, hoppy said:

I had seen one listed but it did not interest me. Old fashioned fin keel and does not look like it will be much faster than my Jeanneau. 

The J35 still does not interest me, but I just noticed this one which looks very well presented and very neat and tidy

https://www.boatsales.com.au/boats/details/1992-J-BOATS-J-35/OAG-AD-15693112/?cr=0&psq=(LengthInMeters%3Drange[9..12]%26((((Service%3D[Boatsales]%26Price%3Drange[35000..140000])%26BoatType%3D[Sail])%26(((SiloType%3D[Dealer used boats]|SiloType%3D[Dealer new boats])|SiloType%3D[Private used boats])|SiloType%3D[Demo and near new boats]))%26Usage%3D[Racing]))&pso=0&pss=~LastUpdated

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Third Reef said:

Is Arch Rival the 3rd cedar strip boat ?

http://www.rolexsydneyhobart.com/the-yachts/2017/arch-rival/

https://www.topyacht.com.au/mt/mt_pub.php?boid=5131

I think this closes the loop.

3R

I think you’re right 3r. We were tied up next to them before the Hobart and then ended up finishing at a similar time to them. Nice looking little boat.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Third Reef said:

Is Arch Rival the 3rd cedar strip boat ?

http://www.rolexsydneyhobart.com/the-yachts/2017/arch-rival/

https://www.topyacht.com.au/mt/mt_pub.php?boid=5131

I think this closes the loop.

3R

The three boats out of Mal Hart's yard were all balsa core. There were a number of earlier cedar strip boats (built in Qld?). The Hart boats also had slightly more freeboard and thus more internal height after Don Jones revised the Inglis plans.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Third Reef said:

Is Arch Rival the 3rd cedar strip boat ?

http://www.rolexsydneyhobart.com/the-yachts/2017/arch-rival/

https://www.topyacht.com.au/mt/mt_pub.php?boid=5131

I think this closes the loop.

3R

3R 

 

From my memory,  that is right. 

 

I can only remember the 3 Inglis boats being built at hart marine. They were the 2 balsa core boats and the plug which was a western red cedar hull. 

 

During that time we were flat out getting “Top Cat” and then Mal’s boat“Pricilla” finished  before Mal did the Osaka race. As well as a 60 foot cat the plug was finished after the Osaka race. 

 

Pulpit

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, 42 South said:

The three boats out of Mal Hart's yard were all balsa core. There were a number of earlier cedar strip boats (built in Qld?). The Hart boats also had slightly more freeboard and thus more internal height after Don Jones revised the Inglis plans.

42 South,

 

Mal only built 3 Inglis / Jones 38’s and I only ever remember building 2 balsa core boats and finishing the plug off as a boat too 

 

pulpit

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, pulpit said:

42 South,

 

Mal only built 3 Inglis / Jones 38’s and I only ever remember building 2 balsa core boats and finishing the plug off as a boat too 

 

pulpit

So which one was Peter Blake's Kaos?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A Young 11 has shown up on yachthub. It's in NZ and I'd seen it before on one of their sales website.

I think the $88k NZD converts to $88k AUD after GST is paid when landed here. 

https://yachthub.com/list/yachts-for-sale/used/sail-monohulls/young-11/214648

If I wanted to import a Y11 from NZ, I think I rather buy Fineline https://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/boats-marine/yachts/keeler/auction-1469405135.htm

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Fineline is a top boat, well worth a look

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, dr_dave said:

Fineline is a top boat, well worth a look

Fineline was fantastic until someone added all the cruising gear!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

With all the goings on in the Bunbury thread about loosing keels. Buying something completely stock in the keel department might be a good option. Certainly eliminates a factor. Probably something to be said about a boat like a SYD38 that is pretty well proven & another upside is if they start having issues, unless yours is the first, pretty good knowledge around on what to look out for & how to fix. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/8/2018 at 9:10 AM, pulpit said:

42 South,

 

Mal only built 3 Inglis / Jones 38’s and I only ever remember building 2 balsa core boats and finishing the plug off as a boat too 

 

pulpit

Thanks Pulpit - wasn't aware that the plug hull was cedar strip. On our boat I fitted a number of new sealable hatches into the lower berths and you sure built a strong boat - I would have gone through a dozen jigsaw blades cutting into the plywood/glass layup and I never found any areas of concern on the boat - it was strong everywhere, as can be attested to the number of offshore events it has done.

There is a bit more information here:-

ORCV Article

but as indicated earlier on these three boats were different to the normal Inglis design (eg Addiction) and of course the original that started it all Boundary Rider.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Ockaroo said:

Bookmaker would be alright at that price, I prefer the old graphics though. 

I kind of like either. Better than just white.

BM needs new standing rigging as they are from 2005, but at that price it's probably worth it still.

 

Anyone know if Bookmaker will qualify for the M2D cat 2 stability requirements?

The IRC cert shows an SSS of 23. There are no ORCi certs for any NSX36 so I can't find the SI value and google can't find me a Stix. I did see that some NSX36's did the Stanley race in 99, but that was before the current stability requirements, I assume.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, hoppy said:

I kind of like either. Better than just white.

BM needs new standing rigging as they are from 2005, but at that price it's probably worth it still.

 

Anyone know if Bookmaker will qualify for the M2D cat 2 stability requirements?

The IRC cert shows an SSS of 23. There are no ORCi certs for any NSX36 so I can't find the SI value and google can't find me a Stix. I did see that some NSX36's did the Stanley race in 99, but that was before the current stability requirements, I assume.

If you aslk yteh ORCi guys nicely they can run a dummy ORCi cert using the current VPP and alogorithms on old IMS data files.  I had one done last year for a boat that was last IMS rated in 1998.  There are old NSX 36 IMS certificates in their database.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, hoppy said:

I kind of like either. Better than just white.

BM needs new standing rigging as they are from 2005, but at that price it's probably worth it still.

 

Anyone know if Bookmaker will qualify for the M2D cat 2 stability requirements?

The IRC cert shows an SSS of 23. There are no ORCi certs for any NSX36 so I can't find the SI value and google can't find me a Stix. I did see that some NSX36's did the Stanley race in 99, but that was before the current stability requirements, I assume.

Bookmaker did ORCV King Island in 2009. 

not sure what they classified it as back then, but it's currently cat2. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You'd want to check what proof the RC needs for stability too. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, SCANAS said:

You'd want to check what proof the RC needs for stability too. 

^ if it doesn't have a stability cert (ie.an ORCi inclination test) then you'll need to shell out the $600-$700 to get one. They don't allow use of sistership certs these days

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Shit 2.5 that is a luxury in Moreton Bay.

Most of the 40s sit in 2.0m LAT which the dredge limit for the harbour.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, lydia said:

Shit 2.5 that is a luxury in Moreton Bay.

Most of the 40s sit in 2.0m LAT which the dredge limit for the harbour.

Ha ha, I just saw the depths at the Manly boat harbour. Where does BJ live, couldn't be at RQYS.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, hoppy said:

Ha ha, I just saw the depths at the Manly boat harbour. Where does BJ live, couldn't be at RQYS.

She is dry sailed out of Rivergate Marine. It’s a shipping channel in Brisbane river.

 

Mind you she only needs 4-5 m draft. Even Comanche and Oat’s were able to be moored and slipped at Rivergate.

 

pulpit 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, hoppy said:

Ha ha, I just saw the depths at the Manly boat harbour. Where does BJ live, couldn't be at RQYS.

It gets better, because of nowhere to put the dredge spoil, for years berths were only dredged if you asked so powerboaters would not bother.

As a result one berth might be 2.0m lat and the one right next door is 1.0m lat.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, lydia said:

It gets better, because of nowhere to put the dredge spoil, for years berths were only dredged if you asked so powerboaters would not bother.

As a result one berth might be 2.0m lat and the one right next door is 1.0m lat.

 

Yep. I went down one day at low tide just before Xmas, and the boat was rocking on the keel. I draw 1.2mtr with the keel up. 

After the dredge has been through, I'm back to + 2.6mtr. 

  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah, but your berth only go dredged to that to allow the garden ornament (aka the Gome) to get to the travel lift!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just trying to figure out the possible STIX, SSS or SI of Elliott 1050's. There are none with ORCi certs and I have not found an SSS or STIX mentioned. There seem to be lots of 1050's racing in NZ so I have been trying to find some Cat 2 races in NZ to see if any 1050's have raced as the NZ cat 2 has the same SI requirement as in Aus, 110. 

The only cat 2 race in NZ I could find was the short handed round north island race. Over the past few races there have been 3 different E1050's racing, so Kick could be ok for Cat 2 here. Perhaps..... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

An Elliot 1050 is still a floating caravan like your current boat, suggest you look at offshore racing boats, ie NSX36, Inglis 38s etc Also suggest you look at A kite boats as they are easier to race offshore if you find the right boat which suits A sails.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, hoppy said:

Just trying to figure out the possible STIX, SSS or SI of Elliott 1050's. There are none with ORCi certs and I have not found an SSS or STIX mentioned. There seem to be lots of 1050's racing in NZ so I have been trying to find some Cat 2 races in NZ to see if any 1050's have raced as the NZ cat 2 has the same SI requirement as in Aus, 110. 

The only cat 2 race in NZ I could find was the short handed round north island race. Over the past few races there have been 3 different E1050's racing, so Kick could be ok for Cat 2 here. Perhaps..... 

No not ok racing here.

Not apples and apples.

Just a Sydney 38 FFS.

One is a boat from this century and one is a boat from last century!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 17/08/2017 at 12:32 PM, Last Post said:

I wondered what had happened with GL. She / he racked up some pretty impressive results which were widely discussed here on SA, along with much criticism of her " USA inappropriate" name and graphics for a while, but then she suddenly stopped appearing and nothing more was heard of her. Whats the story morning glory? Any WA anarchists care to fill in the gaps?

https://www.topyacht.com.au/mt/mt_pub.php?boid=9572&evid=860

 

funny thing is - that's a photoshop of a shot when she was GL.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

PC culture hits yachting?

Hard to believe it's 8yrs old. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, SCANAS said:

PC culture hits yachting?

Not necessarily... If I bought GL I'd probably change it as beyond Daisy Duke's tiny jeans I have very little interest in DoH or American culture or symbols. 

edit: I case the change was seen to be a PC decision, I think I'd change it to something else that's equally non-PC

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The best thing about that boat was the name, now known as "Cock work" , maybe an entry for the boat nick name thread. 

Went and looked at fineline yesterday morning with a mate, he transferred a deposit before we even stepped off her, perfect boat for him. Fast cruiser and able to be raced a few times a year, coastal etc. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Alcatraz5768 said:

Went and looked at fineline yesterday morning with a mate, he transferred a deposit before we even stepped off her, perfect boat for him. Fast cruiser and able to be raced a few times a year, coastal etc. 

Looked like the best prepared Y11 on the market. I'm glad it was in NZ and not Aus otherwise I'd be very disappointed.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, hoppy said:

Looked like the best prepared Y11 on the market. I'm glad it was in NZ and not Aus otherwise I'd be very disappointed.

 

Yep she's a pretty nice boat. Bigger carbon stick, carbon boom, rudder, sprit. Heaps of sails, comfortable below, nice keel etc. Kaimai Flyer looks pretty janky in comparison. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Alcatraz5768 said:

Yep she's a pretty nice boat. Bigger carbon stick, carbon boom, rudder, sprit. Heaps of sails, comfortable below, nice keel etc. Kaimai Flyer looks pretty janky in comparison. 

On Fineline don't leave a carbon sail against the port lifelines near the mast as it interferes with the wireless mast head instruments

Did it once, the skipper yelled... Never did it again

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah I had wondered that. The wireless systems are easier to fit but not perfect.  Did you sail on the boat with Hamish?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Alcatraz5768 said:

Yeah I had wondered that. The wireless systems are easier to fit but not perfect.  Did you sail on the boat with Hamish?

Yes, 2011-13 during my stay in Auckland

The receiver is near the bulkhead so carbon sails need to be forward of that or dragged to the centreline

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah I seent it there and wondered how the reception was. The nexus system is very simple but it has had the server fitted so easy to add a compass and mast displays etc. 

really nice boat, perfect gulf cruiser racer. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/10/2018 at 10:33 PM, hoppy said:

Just trying to figure out the possible STIX, SSS or SI of Elliott 1050's. There are none with ORCi certs and I have not found an SSS or STIX mentioned. There seem to be lots of 1050's racing in NZ so I have been trying to find some Cat 2 races in NZ to see if any 1050's have raced as the NZ cat 2 has the same SI requirement as in Aus, 110. 

The only cat 2 race in NZ I could find was the short handed round north island race. Over the past few races there have been 3 different E1050's racing, so Kick could be ok for Cat 2 here. Perhaps..... 

My 1050 (with upgraded kee) is 135. Cat 2 here is 110 i think.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 

Gale Force. Not sure on keel details. T Keel, done same time as 2 or three others, prob 10 years ago?

Nice graphic

19983390_1635809609763731_31601567589875

and fat head

 

Large_3NZRigging60Start1459.jpg

 

 

My 1050 (with upgraded kee) is 135. Cat 2 here is 110 i think.

The keel will make a huge difference probably

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Knarly start stuck there in row three !!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 

Knarly start stuck there in row three !!!

Tough crowd here. Third sail on the boat, first race, no wind. But line and handicap double in that one, so pretty happy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well done sir.  See, not so tough.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm pretty sure Kick has a more updated keel than Gale Force. AFAIK it went original jandal, Wellington mod then Auckland Mk3.

In other news Kaimai Flyer is now sold.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 

I'm pretty sure Kick has a more updated keel than Gale Force. AFAIK it went original jandal, Wellington mod then Auckland Mk3.

If that's the case, it could push Kick to the top of my shopping list.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 

LOL.....

Even if I had shitloads of money for new sails, a complete overhaul and other upgrades, I don't know why I'd want to bother. It will probably be another CQS

 

28_4.jpg

 

Maybe it would be ok to paint it the original red, send it to the Whitsundays and rename it to something more PC than the original name/

1030.jpg

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 

I dont have the aft cabin, just 2 latge open quarterberths. I have larger wc, less wood, more white paint. Very similar layout though.

I guess you mean the forward cabin. That was added by the current owner who screwed it up making it a cruiser.

 

I'm pretty sure Kick has a more updated keel than Gale Force. AFAIK it went original jandal, Wellington mod then Auckland Mk3.

Just noticed this comment in the text

 The lead bulb gives this 34 footer lots of stand up drive and very good upwind performance. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There's a new Y11 on the market up near Brissy. Looks to be way too cruisy for too long.  Probably need a full wardrobe update, a diet and a bowsprit like Outsidedge has.

https://yachthub.com/list/yachts-for-sale/used/sail-monohulls/young-11/215510

Just decided to check up Outsidedge and it starts the Solo Tasman yacht challenge on April 1st. Maybe after the race the owner will list it for sale just in time for when I am able to finally shop ;)  

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, hoppy said:

There's a new Y11 on the market up near Brissy. Looks to be way too cruisy for too long.  Probably need a full wardrobe update, a diet and a bowsprit like Outsidedge has.

https://yachthub.com/list/yachts-for-sale/used/sail-monohulls/young-11/215510

Just decided to check up Outsidedge and it starts the Solo Tasman yacht challenge on April 1st. Maybe after the race the owner will list it for sale just in time for when I am able to finally shop ;)  

 

Traveller is a long way forward!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, hoppy said:

Just decided to check up Outsidedge and it starts the Solo Tasman yacht challenge on April 1st. Maybe after the race the owner will list it for sale just in time for when I am able to finally shop ;)  

And he did not manage to make it to NZ for the start.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, lydia said:

Hoppy. Don’t have the ticker for Sydney 38 then!

A bit too slow down hill for me ;) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hasta la Vista is entered in Gladstone, if the forecast stays in it’ll prove how well a Sydney 38 goes downwind.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

With respect to the guys on HastalaVista not too many 38s have a windlass and chain locker in the bow.

ExCharter that one.

Results are hardly representative from what I have seen.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Interesting suped up Adams 10

Quote

Take an Adams 10 (ex Sports Car), a well renouned sailor, an unlimited budget and make the fastest boat you can. The result is Scarlet Runner Adams 10. What you now have is a suped up Adams 10 that has had $150,000!! dollars spent on it to make it ready to win. 
Boat was completely faired and repainted, had a Carbon Mast, Boom and Pole added, Rod Rigging, Quantum Sails, new Electronics and a B&G Navigation System. 
No stone was left unturned in an effort to make this boat something special. It rates well, and over the last couple of years has had a very impressive list of race results. 

https://yachthub.com/list/yachts-for-sale/used/sail-monohulls/adams-10-everything/215553

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 25/03/2018 at 6:48 PM, lydia said:

You serious?

 

maybe... maybe not

My current mood (which swings around whilst I wait and wait and wait for my Jeanneau to sell) is to spend more like 60k and potentially spend 20k on upgrades, given that any boat in this price range will be lacking something or need freshening up.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 24/03/2018 at 4:26 AM, bruce said:

Fuck off you low life cunt. No one give a fuck what you think after that post in the VOR thread. Delete your account shithead.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hoppy,

there is a person on the Facebook group ‘sailing Australia exchange - buy, swap, sell’ asking if anyone knows of a Jeanneau  sun odyssey 40 for sale. Your boat was mentioned.... FYI

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Next Level said:

Hoppy,

there is a person on the Facebook group ‘sailing Australia exchange - buy, swap, sell’ asking if anyone knows of a Jeanneau  sun odyssey 40 for sale. Your boat was mentioned.... FYI

Thanks for the heads up. Joined and replied...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, hoppy said:

I just noticed that Outsidedge is back up for sale after it's failed attempt to get over the ditch in time for the solo trans-tasman

It's listed for 99k. Was it originally 80k? I can't