hoppy

Club/offshore racers in Aus up to $80k AUD

15 minutes ago, LB 15 said:

$129k for a S38? Tell 'im he's dreamin...

I suspect that most yachts are first listed at a "Tell 'im he's dreamin..." price. Mine was and so have a few racers I've been following.

28 minutes ago, hoppy said:

100k for s S32 seems crazy when you can get a 38 for the same money.

Not happening... it’s been listed at that price for quite a while now. Going nowhere 

20 minutes ago, hoppy said:

Just been watching the B2G video for Dream the Inglis 38 https://yachthub.com/list/yachts-for-sale/used/sail-monohulls/inglis-38/202404

Performance wise I think I could enjoy it, but I can't help thinking that as it's timber it will need a lot of TLC to keep it looking good

If it had wooden topsides maybe a worry. 3550kg!

9 minutes ago, lydia said:

That is good value, as all the expensive bits have already been replaced and sails are good.

Standing rigging replaced, running rigging in good nick and only sailed inshore.

I think you're taking about Utopia. The link I posted is for a SYD32 at Newport $99.5k 

19 hours ago, hoppy said:

I agree

Some old hack who posts here. 

He was supposed to show the boat to some people today. I have not heard how it went, so I assume they all got blown off the pier by the gales that were blowing through Melbourne today.

Old hack indeed.  I have been walking up and down that bloody long pier for nigh on 50 years and the return walk from your boat yesterday morning was without doubt the wettest and windiest I have experienced in all that time. It was certainly in stark contrast to the same walk in shorts and polo shirt and bright sunshine on Friday afternoon. Plenty of activity so stand by.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, SCANAS said:

I think you're taking about Utopia. The link I posted is for a SYD32 at Newport $99.5k 

I hope so....

Utopia, does sound like it should be a premium priced S38. Would love to know what Cinquante sold for. 

11 hours ago, SCANAS said:

like he said!

On 4/14/2018 at 11:52 PM, hoppy said:

Well out of my price range, but a very neat looking S38 has come on the market

https://yachthub.com/list/yachts-for-sale/used/sail-monohulls/sydney-yachts-38od/216349

Utopia.  Formerly owned by the recently departed John Messenger, a noted Marine Surveyor, former CYCA Commodore and well known industry figure in Sydney and elsewhere.  Messo would have had no trouble tax-deducting his spend on looking after the boat, most work would have been done at mates rates I'd guess, so no need to skimp on things and of course given his work profile as a Surveyor it had to be kept in tip top condition in any case.  It has also been relatively  lightly used in the last 10 years or so, IIRC it did the Winter Series and occasional twilights only.  So, seems a little steep but as S38s go it's pretty much at the top of the pile.

New boat on the market. Looks like it has good performance but very weird looking

https://yachthub.com/list/yachts-for-sale/used/sail-monohulls/david-payne-skiff-38/199101

8_4.jpg

4_4.jpg

The hatch is offset to starboard. Isn't that a safety "issue"? I vaguely recall that after the 79 Fastnet there was some rule about the hatch location and perhaps the offset makes it harder for this boat to qualify for an offshore safety cat like cat 1 and maybe 2. Maybe I'm just confusing this with something else?

21_4.jpg

Can't flood when the boat is at 90 might be other rules too. 

Are they any good? There was another Payne for sale recently with a SYD38 rig. 

Lightish & pretty good price. 

She sails well, especially downwind. Does a bit of coastal racing, but might be a little tender without weight on the rail. Always looks like fun, but I don't think she rates - although less of a problem in PHS.

Ask yourself this question. If these wings are such a good idea, why is this the only boat with them? There used to be a similar style boat in Auckland but the wings got cut off and it got painted pink. 

• Like 1

Plenty of boats have wings, it's just that the biggest market is wife justifying  Cruiser Racers who want the interior volume. Wings are a cheaper way to get the weight out without having to build a fuller boat, keep weight & costs down. 

The Sayer 11 runaway has wings. It's doing pretty well in the 5500nm Osaka Race. 

The old Sportscar Elliot design had em - im sure sporty will be along soon to contribute.  Mind you someone lopped its wings off when it was sold - was never the same

9 hours ago, DickDastardly said:

Utopia.  Formerly owned by the recently departed John Messenger, a noted Marine Surveyor, former CYCA Commodore and well known industry figure in Sydney and elsewhere.  Messo would have had no trouble tax-deducting his spend on looking after the boat, most work would have been done at mates rates I'd guess, so no need to skimp on things and of course given his work profile as a Surveyor it had to be kept in tip top condition in any case.  It has also been relatively  lightly used in the last 10 years or so, IIRC it did the Winter Series and occasional twilights only.  So, seems a little steep but as S38s go it's pretty much at the top of the pile.

Actually pretty cheap DD when compared to buying cheaper and doing the replacements and upgrades that boats of the age need.

Lift rig and replace standing rigging and turnbuckles and foil about 11k.

Replace engine mounts and mechanicals  about 4k

Few new halyards, steering strops and deck gear about 4k

Rudder bearings about 2k with lift out etc

That is before you get to good sails so add another 40k for a inshore main. 2 headsails and 2 kites.

So even if you buy under 90k you are still well behind a well maintained one with a full new sail card.

And this one has not gone offshore and will be factory delivery trim (ie no extra weight)

Just need to get past the sticker shock.

There is one I know for sale at present that even if you paid 60k for it you would still be behind a long way given the maintenance programme.

Hoppy, race in and buy that one and then call me is 6 months to see how you are going with it!

lydia would also depend on intended usage - one design, which is pretty much dead in VIC, for sure you're up for new sails & everything else.  But fleet racing with the odd ocean thrown in, perhaps not so much if the boat is Cat 2 or 1 ready

1 hour ago, lydia said:

Lift rig and replace standing rigging and turnbuckles and foil about 11k.

Is that the normal standing rigging replacement price in Aus for a rig that size? :-O

I think a few of the boats posted here are either due for the 10 year, keep insurance happy, rig replacement.

31 minutes ago, hoppy said:

Is that the normal standing rigging replacement price in Aus for a rig that size? :-O

I think a few of the boats posted here are either due for the 10 year, keep insurance happy, rig replacement.

Messo' s brothers are/were both riggers (one retired).  I have no doubt the rig in Utopia is as perfect as possible and the ad says the rigging was replaced in 2015 so plenty of life in it.

23 minutes ago, DickDastardly said:

Messo' s brothers are/were both riggers (one retired).  I have no doubt the rig in Utopia is as perfect as possible and the ad says the rigging was replaced in 2015 so plenty of life in it.

more thinking in general, for any boat roughly in that size range

I think I paid 3k to 4k Euro replacing the standing rigging on my Jeanneau a few years back

13 hours ago, Alcatraz5768 said:

Ask yourself this question. If these wings are such a good idea, why is this the only boat with them? There used to be a similar style boat in Auckland but the wings got cut off and it got painted pink. 

Originally (I think in the days before everything went up on the internet - hence I can't find a photo) she was basically an over-sized skiff with a huge sprit, and the wings had racks extending another meter or two - whats left can only be considered stubs. She also had far less weight in the keel, which lead to a few interesting wipeouts. She's far more conventional these days.

57 minutes ago, ALL@SEA said:

Originally (I think in the days before everything went up on the internet - hence I can't find a photo) she was basically an over-sized skiff with a huge sprit, and the wings had racks extending another meter or two - whats left can only be considered stubs. She also had far less weight in the keel, which lead to a few interesting wipeouts. She's far more conventional these days.

Correct - I remember her docked at the RYCT and the new owner had just had her delivered from the mainland. He had a petrol concrete saw and without any delay promptly cut off the racks or wings. On delivery offshore, the extensions were constantly dragging in the seas, so a no go, other than inshore waters.

She left Tassie for some years ago, but returned about 2 years ago and has been based down the Huon. As the add says - a lot of %#it Happens for the dollar with a new engine!

I have owned this yacht for about six years. A lot of fun and can really get up and go. When they cut off the extensions on the wings ,that was a add on. She is back to original with smaller wings and even they were designed to be removed or add waterbalast too. I thought about that but find the wings a bonus for many reasons. She is stiffer since fitting diesel with saildrive and we sail short handed often quite easily. It’s old ams was 0.958. Not bad. Still have 4.8 metre articulating bowsprit but fitted 2 m fixed which is much easier to use. Well balanced yacht with excellent control. Cheers

• Like 3

Hey Hoppy 

Been following your post since you started this post ,couple of questions.

With your yacht now how hard are do  you race it now ?

lets say you bought your yacht are you and your  crew up for sailing with Assos, one design ,do you have the experiance driving,budjet,time, crew for sailing  offshore ?

have you entered in the  long races around the bay on your bay now ? or just the pursuit races from RMYC

Would you enter all the races including offshore in the RYCV ? I know you have mentioned the Melb-Devonport how about the other 4 RYCV events if you bought the yacht off your dreams.

Seems since you have started the post you are more  keeboard vocal in all yachting matters.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, spiggie said:

Hey Hoppy 

Been following your post since you started this post ,couple of questions.

lets say you bought your yacht are you and your  crew up for sailing with Assos, one design ,do you have the experiance driving,budjet,time, crew for sailing  offshore ?

have you entered in the  long races around the bay on your bay now ? or just the pursuit races from RMYC

Would you enter all the races including offshore in the RYCV ? I know you have mentioned the Melb-Devonport how about the other 4 RYCV events if you bought the yacht off your dreams.

Seems since you have started the post you are more  keeboard vocal in all yachting matters.

I'll take a wild stab in the dark & say combination of:

Doesnt want to spend any more time or money on current boat as its on the market. 

Any race upgrades would be a waste of money on current boat. 

Probably a bit bored as he's owned current boat a while. 

Not much fun racing a caravan. 

No point upgrading current boat for racing = dead money. 

Train crew up on the new boat. 

No he isn't going to enter S-H as his first ever race on a new boat. 

How'd I go Hoppy?

10 minutes ago, SCANAS said:

I'll take a wild stab in the dark & say combination of:

Doesnt want to spend any more time or money on current boat as its on the market. 

Any race upgrades would be a waste of money on current boat. 

Probably a bit bored as he's owned current boat a while. 

Not much fun racing a caravan. 

No point upgrading current boat for racing = dead money. 

Train crew up on the new boat. 

No he isn't going to enter S-H as his first ever race on a new boat. 

How'd I go Hoppy?

You have done well. 

Except, perhaps if I finally buy the new boat in late spring up in Sydney and it's already cat 1,  then I'll take the long way to Melbourne and deliver her on Boxing Day.

Just kidding :)

42 minutes ago, spiggie said:

We race it hard within the constraint of white sail pursuits. This means we race in all conditions the club holds their races and use the maximum sail area we can get away with. Never furled the genoa and only reef the main when not reefing affects our performance. Soloed her many, many times in 35-55 knots in Greece and I would consider racing fully crewed in a gale on the bay, if it wasn't for the club choosing not to race and if it's a direction that suits docking. After all, you can't choose to not sail in a gale if one comes along in a long race.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Dark Cloud said:

gales in the bay void my 20/20 rule hoppy

My Jeanneau likes them, although I'd have to go to a 3rd reef in he main and start rolling in the genoa. A SW gale would be a shit sea state and that is the worst direction for me when docking. Now a northerly gale would be ok.

good up your end of the bay - and the gusts make it interesting for the trimmers

1 minute ago, Dark Cloud said:

good up your end of the bay - and the gusts make it interesting for the trimmers

Still trying to teach my main trimmer to use the traveller and be on guard.

put him on the helm on a windy day, and when he rounds up into a starboard boat while he screams - dump the main, dump the main.  YMMV

55 minutes ago, hoppy said:

You have done well. 

Except, perhaps if I finally buy the new boat in late spring up in Sydney and it's already cat 1,  then I'll take the long way to Melbourne and deliver her on Boxing Day.

Just kidding :)

We race it hard within the constraint of white sail pursuits. This means we race in all conditions the club holds their races and use the maximum sail area we can get away with. Never furled the genoa and only reef the main when not reefing affects our performance. Soloed her many, many times in 35-55 knots in Greece and I would consider racing fully crewed in a gale on the bay, if it wasn't for the club choosing not to race and if it's a direction that suits docking. After all, you can't choose to not sail in a gale if one comes along in a long race.

Hey Hoppy 

Still haven't answered my Questions

Racing a yacht offshore with the yachts you are checking out for future purchase  is vastly different than sailing a 2 hr stint out of ST kilda. or sailing solo in Greece.

Dont get me wrong we need more owners yachting and racing offshore.

will you purchasing another yacht engage you in entering all the RYCV offshore events, are your crew committed and more importantly you committed financially and time to fullfull the racing.

I have been sailing for 40 yrs , work offshore , race once a month ,live out in the country ,sail about 10,000 miles a year delivering as a hobby, would like to buy a yacht but time constraints i cannot commit to what is needed to racing as a a yacht owner.

Not sure why you haven't furled your genoa ,the balance on the helm would seem wrong if  you only furled the main , that is another topic.

20 minutes ago, spiggie said:

Hey Hoppy 

Still haven't answered my Questions

Racing a yacht offshore with the yachts you are checking out for future purchase  is vastly different than sailing a 2 hr stint out of ST kilda. or sailing solo in Greece.

Dont get me wrong we need more owners yachting and racing offshore.

will you purchasing another yacht engage you in entering all the RYCV offshore events, are your crew committed and more importantly you committed financially and time to fullfull the racing.

I have been sailing for 40 yrs , work offshore , race once a month ,live out in the country ,sail about 10,000 miles a year delivering as a hobby, would like to buy a yacht but time constraints i cannot commit to what is needed to racing as a a yacht owner.

Not sure why you haven't furled your genoa ,the balance on the helm would seem wrong if  you only furled the main , that is another topic.

Of course the racing offshore will be vastly different to what we normally do, just as delivering my Jeanneau from S2M nonstop is different to doing the first half of the S2H.

The crew is keen, but life can get in the way. We'll ocean race when we are ready. How long that takes to get ready, I don't know. Regardless, I'll have fun doing pursuits, spinnaker races and perhaps some ORCV winter series races.

My Jeaneau originally came with a 155% genoa but when I bought new sails I got a 135%, so it's already "reefed" and the helm balance is fine with a couple of reefs (not furled) in the main.

I thought I would keep this thread going with another interesting boat.

Has anyone any background information the 43 Hick "Swifty" ? Would it be a good club racer / cruiser ?

Its an interesting Jekyll and Hyde boat with a drop keel, 450L water ballast, narrowish beam, big draft and cedar strip construction. I can see lots of meat on the beam, so not sure how good it would really be short handed.

It also was raced in the Australian short handed circuit in the early 2000's against a number of well known yachts including Sayernara. It must have been a special boat at time, but there are no particularly special race results.

https://yachthub.com/list/yachts-for-sale/used/sail-monohulls/hick-43-short-handed-cruiser-racer/214116

I know this is not going to specifically meet all of Hoppys criteria, but it is in the price range and built for off shore racing. Looks like a mean machine, very well equipped and good value for money.

41200904171_8b75671dc7_z.jpg

I saw that and should have posted it but forgot....

Looks like an interesting boat but I want to go down in size, not up. However, as you mention it is very well equipped and priced. However because it's so cheap ($69k) for a 43 ft racer from 2000, I have to wonder what's wrong with it. It probably won't be as sellable as a S38, but I would have thought it should be priced similar to a low end S38.

I am a bit curious about a Hick and have been thinking that I should at least view Toecutter when I can shop https://yachthub.com/list/yachts-for-sale/used/sail-monohulls/hick-30/187059

Whilst it's a little smaller that I'd like, it's fast and competitive and with a list of 38k, I could happily do a major wardrobe upgrade when necessary or put on a big bowsprit, huge Asy's for Super 11, unless that totally kills it's AMS competitiveness. 

I can't figure out if this Toecutter did the S2H when new. There was a Robert Hick Toecutter with the same sail number that did the S2H before and after this was built. Obviously there was a TC before this, but did both do the S2H.

Must bug Sportscar about this one day unless he chimes in here.

3 minutes ago, Next Level said:

This is the TC which did the Hobart around 2003 Hoppy.

but she was launched in 2004

The 2003 S2H Toecutter is described as "This brand new Hick 31 will be skippered by its designer, Robert Hick" LOA 9.45

2004 LOA 9.45

2005 S2H "This will be the fourth Rolex Sydney Hobart for Toecutter"  - this does not compute... LOA 9.15

Maybe she was launched in 2003, not 2004,  and in 2005 the S2H site author  counted the older boat that raced in 2002?

Back in the 2011 ORCV winter series, Toecutter was impressively fast beating most div 2 boats across the line, including a couple of boats that still race at RMYS and the NSX36 Bookmaker that's for sale. It's true that Toecutter's performance under my ownership will drop dramatically and will never reach the same heights (unless I recruit some star crew and I become ballast) and some of the RMYS boats may have improved under long term ownership. Certainly looks fun, just not sure if I could live with it..

The modified Mumm 36 Corum has dropped the price about 10k to $89,990

https://yachthub.com/list/yachts-for-sale/used/sail-monohulls/mumm-36/216791

The other older Hick 30 Anna has popped up the list further. Maybe it had a price drop, but I'm not sure, It's listed at $35k but at only $4990  under Toecutter, I think spending more might be a better option.  

https://www.boatsales.com.au/boats/details/1996-HICK-30/OAG-AD-15541846/

Nothing much else new in the <$80 or S38 market to report.

The <$80 market is very, very slow. Seems like no one is buying which is good for me now. I feel like whatever I buy will have to be a "boat for life"

Anyone know if "Hick Marine" or "Hick Composite Solutions" is still in business?

I found one website and a FB page that are dead and all other search results provide an address but with dates to indicate if it still operates. I can imagine that the boat building may have been killed off but I would have thought there could be still business composite parts...  

Good thread....very early on the sunfast 3200 as mentioned. Simple question....anybody heard it's redesign is imminent? Sunfast 3250 or 3300?

Just now, vikram said:

Good thread....very early on the sunfast 3200 as mentioned. Simple question....anybody heard it's redesign is imminent? Sunfast 3250 or 3300?

Jeanneau only released the SF3200 R2 in 2016, so it wont be changing for some time I'd expect.

Just noticed that the very neat modified Elliott 10.5 Squealer has had a big price drop.

It's still listed on yachthub for 115k NZ but on the NZ site it's only 100k NZ. Perhaps it could be gotten for 80k nz which after paying Aus GST would be around 80k AUD

https://yachthub.com/list/yachts-for-sale/used/sail-monohulls/elliott-10-5/204611

https://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/boats-marine/yachts/keeler/auction-1615542707.htm?rsqid=88ae84c5eb9f46409de631c617d651e8

779141830.jpg

779145863.jpg

779145263.jpg

16 hours ago, hoppy said:

Anyone know if "Hick Marine" or "Hick Composite Solutions" is still in business?

I found one website and a FB page that are dead and all other search results provide an address but with dates to indicate if it still operates. I can imagine that the boat building may have been killed off but I would have thought there could be still business composite parts...  

Robert Hick is/was a member at royals.  Toecutter was sailed out of royals.

Surely this is common knowledge?

Correct me if I’m wrong but did Hick design and sail on Avalanche? The converted F40 which was going to do Hobart last year???

1 hour ago, Next Level said:

Correct me if I’m wrong but did Hick design and sail on Avalanche? The converted F40 which was going to do Hobart last year???

IIRC the guy who owned it has now bought a Cookson 12 ex Cunning Plan ex Blackadder.  Does that mean Avalanche wasn't a success...???

2 hours ago, ease the sheet said:

Robert Hick is/was a member at royals.  Toecutter was sailed out of royals.

Surely this is common knowledge?

I realise this, just not sure if he is still running his building/composites business. Nice to know if he is in case whatever boat I buy one day needs a big carbon bowsprit.

13 hours ago, DickDastardly said:

IIRC the guy who owned it has now bought a Cookson 12 ex Cunning Plan ex Blackadder.  Does that mean Avalanche wasn't a success...???

I think I read something in the Melbourne thread about there being hull delamination. 

2 hours ago, Gorn FRANTIC!! said:

I think I read something in the Melbourne thread about there being hull delamination. 

The donor boat had delam so they've had a new hull designed & built. 

We raced against a 31 Toecutter in the 2002 Hobart. It was going gangbusters and then our group got caught in a caught in a calm in Storm Bay for a day so none of us featured. I had just been sailing on a Mini and owned a coastal 8m so was used to that size and had a look on board at the time. There wasn't much to it back then. Maybe the fitout occurred later - ie just launched for the 02 Hobart and finished in 03. 

On 5/4/2018 at 9:48 PM, hoppy said:

Jeanneau only released the SF3200 R2 in 2016, so it wont be changing for some time I'd expect.

Actually....other way round. There r no significant changes in the r2....its an end of product-  life extender to sell some hulls till the next version is ready....or so the story goes.

Great boat....next one will be better I am betting.

On 5/4/2018 at 8:26 PM, hoppy said:

I saw that and should have posted it but forgot....

Looks like an interesting boat but I want to go down in size, not up. However, as you mention it is very well equipped and priced. However because it's so cheap ($69k) for a 43 ft racer from 2000, I have to wonder what's wrong with it. It probably won't be as sellable as a S38, but I would have thought it should be priced similar to a low end S38.

I am a bit curious about a Hick and have been thinking that I should at least view Toecutter when I can shop https://yachthub.com/list/yachts-for-sale/used/sail-monohulls/hick-30/187059

Whilst it's a little smaller that I'd like, it's fast and competitive and with a list of 38k, I could happily do a major wardrobe upgrade when necessary or put on a big bowsprit, huge Asy's for Super 11, unless that totally kills it's AMS competitiveness. 

I can't figure out if this Toecutter did the S2H when new. There was a Robert Hick Toecutter with the same sail number that did the S2H before and after this was built. Obviously there was a TC before this, but did both do the S2H.

Must bug Sportscar about this one day unless he chimes in here.

IIRC, there has been more than one 30 foot Toecutter designed, owned and built by Robert Hick and both have done the Hobart. One (the first) built in GRP, and one in carbon.

Anna comes from the same earlier family of Hick 30 as Very Tasty and Evolution (ex Diana) and all built within a few years of each other. Evolution has disappeared from Sydney, but as Diana she had an upgraded rudder and plumb bow and as Evolution some of the lifelines were removed in an effort to mimic Tasty. As well as having a carbon stick that was sometimes more for show than go. The rig had an affinity for the trees on the shoreline near Bradley's head, and would sometimes come back to the dock with a tree branch caught in the V's.

Tasty was originally upgraded as a pure sports yacht soon after being built with lifelines removed and a super long articulating sprit. She was 99% of the time the quickest boat as her kites kept getting bigger and bigger, and the boys raced her at 110% effort from the start gun all the way through to the finish gun. And she heard a shitload of "1st to finish" guns in her time.

She also swapped her saildrive for a cute little outboard as reverse had a nasty habit of not working very shortly after yet another costly repair. As Chris used to say "Bukh. It's Danish for shit." So removing the drag of a saildrive that only sometimes worked was a great interim upgrade for her planing ability. She used to hum like a pedophile on a school bus at 16 knots though!

Just before Chris' untimely passing a few years ago she got the full tickle up - carbon rig, rudder upgrade and plumb bow.

The short version is that these Hick 30's are all super quick, lots of fun to sail and definitely not family friendly...

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Jason AUS said:

IIRC, there has been more than one 30 foot Toecutter designed, owned and built by Robert Hick and both have done the Hobart. One (the first) built in GRP, and one in carbon.

Anna comes from the same earlier family of Hick 30 as Very Tasty and Evolution (ex Diana) and all built within a few years of each other. Evolution has disappeared from Sydney, but as Diana she had an upgraded rudder and plumb bow and as Evolution some of the lifelines were removed in an effort to mimic Tasty. As well as having a carbon stick that was sometimes more for show than go. The rig had an affinity for the trees on the shoreline near Bradley's head, and would sometimes come back to the dock with a tree branch caught in the V's.

Tasty was originally upgraded as a pure sports yacht soon after being built with lifelines removed and a super long articulating sprit. She was 99% of the time the quickest boat as her kites kept getting bigger and bigger, and the boys raced her at 110% effort from the start gun all the way through to the finish gun. And she heard a shitload of "1st to finish" guns in her time.

She also swapped her saildrive for a cute little outboard as reverse had a nasty habit of not working very shortly after yet another costly repair. As Chris used to say "Bukh. It's Danish for shit." So removing the drag of a saildrive that only sometimes worked was a great interim upgrade for her planing ability. She used to hum like a pedophile on a school bus at 16 knots though!

Just before Chris' untimely passing a few years ago she got the full tickle up - carbon rig, rudder upgrade and plumb bow.

The short version is that these Hick 30's are all super quick, lots of fun to sail and definitely not family friendly...

Correct. The first Toecutter is still raced out of RYCV Williamstown as Godzilla.

The Toecutter currently up for sale is the later Toecutter 2, the all carbon version. Bloody good boat, fast, consistently successful, fully AMS optimised and really well built. A true giant slayer on the race track and always very well sailed by Robert Hick and his merry men. Offers seriously considered - PM me for details!

5aefef3c0ff52_tc210.jpg.e40e913bf9c7af607c1e3b5d337c1261.jpg5aefef8e02e12_20Hick31.jpg.0ee15f74adbc94a7a818bb53f7fd1785.jpg

Anna was the prototype of the Hick 30's, originally named The Lizard and she still has the Lizard logo on her transom. Sadly, Anna's owner passed away unexpectedly just a couple of weeks ago. RIP Robert Lepore.

5aeff09e00629_Anna-Lizard.thumb.jpg.d3a6d7755b540a84ab4aa937b1049645.jpg

I was just talking about her with one of my crew yesterday. She ticks a lot of boxes, but really I shouldn't be thinking about new boats - I love mine, although I can't really take her offshore! Toecutter II looks stiff, and at a size that she should be manageable short handed, but is seems she has about 7 POB in one of your pics. Is she designed (like the Mumm/Farr 30s) with crew weight integral to stability? 

Cheers.

1 hour ago, SPORTSCAR said:

Correct. The first Toecutter is still raced out of RYCV Williamstown as Godzilla.

The Toecutter currently up for sale is the later Toecutter 2, the all carbon version. Bloody good boat, fast, consistently successful, fully AMS optimised and really well built. A true giant slayer on the race track and always very well sailed by Robert Hick and his merry men. Offers seriously considered - PM me for details!

5aefef3c0ff52_tc210.jpg.e40e913bf9c7af607c1e3b5d337c1261.jpg5aefef8e02e12_20Hick31.jpg.0ee15f74adbc94a7a818bb53f7fd1785.jpg

Anna was the prototype of the Hick 30's, originally named The Lizard and she still has the Lizard logo on her transom. Sadly, Anna's owner passed away unexpectedly just a couple of weeks ago. RIP Robert Lepore.

5aeff09e00629_Anna-Lizard.thumb.jpg.d3a6d7755b540a84ab4aa937b1049645.jpg

Thanks for the bad news.

RIP Rob.

On 4/14/2018 at 11:52 PM, hoppy said:

Well out of my price range, but a very neat looking S38 has come on the market

https://yachthub.com/list/yachts-for-sale/used/sail-monohulls/sydney-yachts-38od/216349

On 4/15/2018 at 10:07 AM, LB 15 said:

$129k for a S38? Tell 'im he's dreamin...

Utopia is now sold... 

2 new 120+k S38's have been recently listed

Risk 125K 

https://yachthub.com/list/yachts-for-sale/used/sail-monohulls/sydney-yachts-38od/216929

Wild One 121K

https://yachthub.com/list/yachts-for-sale/used/sail-monohulls/sydney-yachts-38od-wild-one/217442

On 4/5/2018 at 3:30 PM, hoppy said:

I just noticed that Outsidedge is back up for sale after it's failed attempt to get over the ditch in time for the solo trans-tasman

It's listed for 99k. Was it originally 80k? I can't remember.

https://yachthub.com/list/yachts-for-sale/used/sail-monohulls/young-11/215961

and it's off the market, perhaps sold??

On 4/15/2018 at 6:03 PM, hoppy said:

Just been watching the B2G video for Dream the Inglis 38 https://yachthub.com/list/yachts-for-sale/used/sail-monohulls/inglis-38/202404

Performance wise I think I could enjoy it, but I can't help thinking that as it's timber it will need a lot of TLC to keep it looking good

Looks like Dream is sold...

I see your boat Hoppy was out of the water for a survey... end May be in sight and new boat on the horizon!

6 hours ago, FinnFish said:

Please see thread title. 

As the OP, I know the title very well...

The reality of boat sales is that the list price is pure fantasy and the purchase price will always be south of that. Maybe if the seller is very desperate and it's been on the market long enough, it too could be an 80k boat..

On 5/16/2018 at 10:29 PM, Next Level said:

I see your boat Hoppy was out of the water for a survey... end May be in sight and new boat on the horizon!

Yeah, saw it on the hoist on Tuesday at Sandy too. Spill yer guts Hoppy, wassup dude?

Joy to the world, this thread might end soon.

Hoppy is in Brisvegas making offers on a Mumm 36 (Corum)

And for the guy who said a Sydney 38 might show his crew up!

6 hours ago, lydia said:

Hoppy is in Brisvegas making offers on a Mumm 36 (Corum)

And for the guy who said a Sydney 38 might show his crew up!

Jeezz, there are SA spies everywhere....

As long as we race a mod Mumm in a fleet that does not know the boat, no one will know how truely bad we are.

The family was up in Surfers and I came up to join them, so I would have been crazy not to do some tire kicking, just in case when all of the stars are in correct alignment she's still for sale. I was impressed with Corum very much and I was surprised that the Mrs Hoppy liked it after going into the cabin. I guess I prepared her well for the change from a gin palace to a racer.

6 hours ago, lydia said:

Sorry to say, but I might keep the thread alive even when I have bought

Hoppy

In all seriousness, just buy it.

It is best small boat in the ocean that I have ever sailed.

They moved the rig and the keel.

Cheers

DO it hoppy!

one question - why are you looking at forum over the other 36 called maximumm I believe which is 30k cheaper...?

25 minutes ago, Next Level said:

DO it hoppy!

one question - why are you looking at forum over the other 36 called maximumm I believe which is 30k cheaper...?

Maximumm has the original spindly mast with inline spreaders. A big no for me. 

Also to make a Mumm any good, as well as changing the mast, you really need to relocate the mast and replace the keel. Corum has been updated this way and so to have a few sailing in Tassie.

I want a turn key club racer that at the most needs just some fresh racing. Corum needs a plumbed toilet, but that's minor work when it's already hauled out for a fresh coat of AF.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, hoppy said:

Also to make a Mumm any good, as well as changing the mast, you really need to relocate the mast and replace the keel. Corum has been updated this way and so to have a few sailing in Tassie.

I want a turn key club racer that at the most needs just some fresh racing. Corum needs a plumbed toilet, but that's minor work when it's already hauled out for a fresh coat of AF.

so did you put an offer in or what?

you're not too far off the 1 year anniversary of this thread.

No... I still own my Jeanneau, so the bank account is bare and the stars are not aligned...

Sydney 38s come with a plumbed toilet.

And real beds.

You can't deny your destiny!

53 minutes ago, hoppy said:

That's what I said all along. Buy one already done. 

Why does corum need a plumbed in toilet? 

8 minutes ago, SCANAS said:

That's what I said all along. Buy one already done. 

You and perhaps some others convinced me.

8 minutes ago, SCANAS said:

Why does corum need a plumbed in toilet? 

I'm adverse to porta potties and it would satisfy the other half for the minimal comfort requirement.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, hoppy said:

I'm adverse to porta potties and it would satisfy the other half for the minimal comfort requirement.

I'm a convert to porta potties. Less to worry about, plumbing exploding, sea cock + thru hull & they have almost no smell. 

But what the wife wants...