hoppy

Club/offshore racers in Aus up to $80k AUD

1 hour ago, Jason AUS said:

Given that there's a switch, a whack of wiring and no sign of a pump handle - what are the odds that the head has a macerator on it and everything expelled from the boat is errrr... sludge?

It’s obviously an electric head, that’s what they do...

2 hours ago, Jason AUS said:

Given that there's a switch, a whack of wiring and no sign of a pump handle - what are the odds that the head has a macerator on it and everything expelled from the boat is errrr... sludge?

Yeap, always a good plan to plumb it with 27 cent beverage hose from Clarks. 

1 hour ago, FinnFish said:

Yeap, always a good plan to plumb it with 27 cent beverage hose from Clarks. 

Not my circus. Not my monkeys.

• Like 1

looks like one option is off my shopping list with Kick out of the water being surveyed.

33150517_1972821636086139_26711591319764

14 hours ago, hoppy said:

looks like one option is off my shopping list with Kick out of the water being surveyed.

Isn't that option 2 in the background of the photo ? Just add some letters on the transom...

HOPPY'S

WINGS

17 hours ago, hoppy said:

On behalf of all of us who have laboured through this interminable thread for so long - that's probably one  you really should have jumped on for what you  tell us you want to do.

58572086_Kickit..thumb.jpg.c4ac96cead411354c816707c9777276b.jpg

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Last Post said:

On behalf of all of us who have laboured through this interminable thread for so long - that's probably one  you really should have jumped on for what you  tell us you want to do.

Small problem of the money. 

3 hours ago, Last Post said:

Love it...

If you posted this a while back I might have got myself into debt....

Although I'd call it FLICK to keep the club happy.

I was researching Kick a few weeks back and found a Kiwi forum with someone asking about importing her back into NZ. So maybe she is going home? 

1 hour ago, hoppy said:

Love it...

If you posted this a while back I might have got myself into debt....

Although I'd call it FLICK to keep the club happy.

Pussy

On 5/24/2018 at 6:19 PM, hoppy said:

I was researching Kick a few weeks back and found a Kiwi forum with someone asking about importing her back into NZ. So maybe she is going home? 

Yup, she is sold back fo NZ. To a guy that hasnt yet sold his other boat...

On 5/23/2018 at 5:09 PM, Jason AUS said:

Isn't that option 2 in the background of the photo ? Just add some letters on the transom...

HOPPY'S

WINGS

Hey guys - how do those little a-frame sprits work out? They are simple, relatively cheap, and much less of a bear to install, but do they also just rip off the bow in a broach?

4 hours ago, Clipper said:

Yup, she is sold back fo NZ. To a guy that hasnt yet sold his other boat...

what a GREEDY BASTARD

On 5/24/2018 at 12:24 PM, Last Post said:

.58572086_Kickit..thumb.jpg.c4ac96cead411354c816707c9777276b.jpg

1 hour ago, Raz'r said:

Hey guys - how do those little a-frame sprits work out? They are simple, relatively cheap, and much less of a bear to install, but do they also just rip off the bow in a broach?

No first hand feedback other than they look like a complete bag of shit.

• Like 1

Hearing whispers that Hoppy is now boatless, his broker's site showing his ride has been sold. Whats up Hopster? Next ride in the pipeline?

2 minutes ago, Last Post said:

Hearing whispers that Hoppy is now boatless, his broker's site showing his ride has been sold. Whats up Hopster? Next ride in the pipeline?

Eventually. No great rush as most boats are in Skidknee and further north and it's not a good time to bring a boat south unless you have plenty of time to wait for a window.

Am a bit gutted that Kick is on it's way back to Kiwiland. It would have been a very good boat as I could still have a gin palace and a decent boat for club racing. Just needed to bin the roller and dust of the race sails.

Come on Hoppster, all the research has been done and you need the boat soon so you can prepare for M2D or whatever is first on your bucket list.

2 hours ago, hoppy said:

Eventually. No great rush as most boats are in Skidknee and further north and it's not a good time to bring a boat south unless you have plenty of time to wait for a window.

Am a bit gutted that Kick is on it's way back to Kiwiland. It would have been a very good boat as I could still have a gin palace and a decent boat for club racing. Just needed to bin the roller and dust of the race sails.

Woo Hoo!

Now do you need to start a new thread "boats to 50k" 

3 minutes ago, SCANAS said:

Woo Hoo!

Now do you need to start a new thread "boats to 50k" 

Toying with the idea of trying to arrange a syndicate, so I'd like to create 3 x 80k boat thread, but more likely to be 3 x 26.66666666666k 

If it was a Wednesday Night Special a syndicate might work, but once you get families & wives who want it for weekends it goes to shit quick. I'm sure you'll find a good one in your budget, just depends on how little interior you can get away with. Maybe bribe the missus if you get a racy boat & give her 5k to put her touch on it. Wine chiller, Bimini, iPad fast charger, Cushions & curtains - whatever she wants. 

"Wednesday Night Special" might be a good name. 

• Like 1

Wouldn't you just take Corum north for Hammo?

Just as easy to truck from Airlie as Brisbane.

What sort of coin would it cost to truck a 36er or there abouts, to and from Hammo front sydney?

7 minutes ago, Next Level said:

What sort of coin would it cost to truck a 36er or there abouts, to and from Hammo front sydney?

Next level,

Why  would you truck the boat from Sydney to Hammo when all of the racing is headed north that time of year and most are eased sheets ?

As far as trucking the boat back from Airlie to Melbourne you will not get much change from $20k. It’s the extra cost people forget about. Crane mast in and out, pack Boat ready for travel, load Boat on and off he truck, extra insurance. 

I did the sums a few years back to send 2 x 40 foot power boats of the some design from the Gold Coast, 1 to Melbourne’s and 1 to Adelaide by road and sea. Trucking costs and pack up cost were both the same by road about $17k including extras. We ended up sending the Melbourne Boat by water as the saving even after paying fuel and skipper were about $8k and trucked the other to Adelaide. 

So it’s the extras costs that we all forget about when trucking the boats about. 

Pulpit

1 hour ago, pulpit said:

Next level,

Why  would you truck the boat from Sydney to Hammo when all of the racing is headed north that time of year and most are eased sheets ?

As far as trucking the boat back from Airlie to Melbourne you will not get much change from $20k. It’s the extra cost people forget about. Crane mast in and out, pack Boat ready for travel, load Boat on and off he truck, extra insurance. 

I did the sums a few years back to send 2 x 40 foot power boats of the some design from the Gold Coast, 1 to Melbourne’s and 1 to Adelaide by road and sea. Trucking costs and pack up cost were both the same by road about $17k including extras. We ended up sending the Melbourne Boat by water as the saving even after paying fuel and skipper were about $8k and trucked the other to Adelaide. 

So it’s the extras costs that we all forget about when trucking the boats about. 

Pulpit

Agreed you wouldn’t truck north but I was curious either way. 

Thsnks for the numbers. A lot of money regardless.

1 hour ago, Ockaroo said:

Did you sell your furling Assy or whatever you had extra with the boat? if not I might have a buyer.

Kept my code 1 and it's gear, the Selden furler, the top down adapter and tandem block and other gear. The North G2 went with the boat and I included a sock.

All that gear is being saved for the next boat. If the code 1 does not work with the next boat i'll take it off the anti-torsion line and save the gear for a code 0.  

Hoppy you are pretty much stuffed now 400 spectators and you are doing to have to do the walk,

at least a few well priced s 38s have popped up.

12 hours ago, lydia said:

Hoppy you are pretty much stuffed now 400 spectators and you are doing to have to do the walk,

at least a few well priced s 38s have popped up.

there's a school of thought that suggests by making goals/dreams public, you're less likely to achieve them. 

best get cracking Hoppy

• Like 1

Hoppy, what boats are top of your present (non syndicate) list.

Come on up to Sydney and get looking.

At least one 38 in Sydney in your asking range!!!

We will not let up now.

Sporty you can send the commission later.

Yeah Hoppy... these pricks shamed me into buying..... Your turn

• Like 1

Pil, why the new name ???

6 hours ago, Hold Fast said:

there's a school of thought that suggests by making goals/dreams public, you're less likely to achieve them. 

best get cracking Hoppy

LOL :-(

6 hours ago, PIL66 said:

Yeah Hoppy... these pricks shamed me into buying..... Your turn

5 hours ago, DtM said:

Pil, why the new name ???

Putting two and two together and usually coming up with 3.5, I am guessing probably something to do with a new boat number......

EDIT ....or he was trying to get the number of the beast but came up one 6 short!

If I were in a position to seriously consider these things, Squealer would be at the top of my list..... 

OE is still listed though might not be serious, still asking 99k :( 

27 minutes ago, SCANAS said:

OE is still listed though might not be serious, still asking 99k :( 

could just be wishful

32 minutes ago, ALL@SEA said:

If I were in a position to seriously consider these things, Squealer would be at the top of my list..... 

She does look good and had 100k spent on it in recent years. 

The exchange rate covers the GST, so it's a 100k boat landed here. Just need to do the delivery.

Outside edge on the hard at RPAYC, rig out, keel off. Getting the full tickle I'd say...

So Hoppy, with your sale, what is the current budget?

9 minutes ago, Jethrow said:

Outside edge on the hard at RPAYC, rig out, keel off. Getting the full tickle I'd say...

Seems OTT. Previous owner had no problems with results. 

Bring Squealer into the country Hoppy, at least then when and if my circumstances change and I can afford to upgrade my Elliott 7 I won't have to look across the Tasman! 

14 hours ago, SCANAS said:

Seems OTT. Previous owner had no problems with results. 

According to a well credentialled surveyor, O E had a problem with striking a solid object and she was later found to be leaking around the keel. Major effort to detach the keel for repairs. Should be quite ok once works are completed. 

To my eye Squealer would be easier to sail and quicker (especially without a crack crew) than a Mumm/Farr or a Sydney - and has a habitable interior. Lots of up to date equipment and safety stuff... only downside for your requirements is runners... Assys help balance that though!

1 hour ago, ALL@SEA said:

To my eye Squealer would be easier to sail and quicker (especially without a crack crew) than a Mumm/Farr or a Sydney - and has a habitable interior. Lots of up to date equipment and safety stuff... only downside for your requirements is runners... Assys help balance that though!

Corum has a fat head main and runners and a backstay/no runners for their pinhead main. Maybe Squealer can be fitted the same way 

15 minutes ago, hoppy said:

Corum has a fat head main and runners and a backstay/no runners for their pinhead main. Maybe Squealer can be fitted the same way 

Unless you could buy squealer landed for 80k you'd be mad not to buy Corum. 

10 minutes ago, SCANAS said:

Unless you could buy squealer landed for 80k you'd be mad not to buy Corum. 

The problem with Corum is that if I bought it I'd feel obliged to buy a very expensive watch for myself and one for the missus.

corum-admirals-cup-947931-04-0371-an12-1

this one costs more than the boat 

https://www.chrono24.com/corum/admirals-cup-tourbillon-minute-repeater--id7861619.htm

I've sailed on Squealer, have known the guys who did the mods for over 40 years, raced on Mumm 36s and raced against Corum in (that) Keppel race last year.

Leaving aside location and price, the choice depends on the following;

Breeze - Squealer will easier to push harder in a breeze and is slower in the light

Helm - Squealer is more forgiving to a momentary lapse.

Crew - Squealer is more forgiving- gear changes, placement around boat.

Course - Corum upwind, Squealer 2 sailing and broad reaching, Corum downwind - especially in the light.

• Like 1

On the other had, with it's massive bowsprit, the name Squealer, that my partner is Czech and thus my daughter is half Czech, there is a very appealing post purchase celebration I could imagine

hog-roast4.jpg

Potential graphic for a big assy

Clipart-Of-A-Cartoon-Scared-Pig-On-A-Spi

1 minute ago, Hold Fast said:

rudder on the smallish side or is it just me?

The photo looks to have been taken with a wide angle lens so the extremities will look distorted relative to the centre. So the rudder is probably bigger than it appears. 

32 minutes ago, hoppy said:

The problem with Corum is that if I bought it I'd feel obliged to buy a very expensive watch for myself and one for the missus.

corum-admirals-cup-947931-04-0371-an12-1

this one costs more than the boat 

https://www.chrono24.com/corum/admirals-cup-tourbillon-minute-repeater--id7861619.htm

No you just need a $30 bottle of rum 

CuntsOnRUM

Looked at a boat that has an IRC SSSN of 23. Under old YA stability rules, cat 2 requires SSSN of at least 28. There is no ORCi cert for the boat or any sister ships, so I have no ORCi stability info to go on. 

From what I've read, the IRC & ORCi/IMS stability figures can vary significantly with one poorly failing a boat and the other qualifying it. I believe the boat did the S2H and other cat 1/2 races when it was young under another name. 

Inclined to cross it off the list as I want to be certain the boat is eligible for the M2D and other cat 2 races. 

or you could pay $600 or so to get it measured for ORCi stability

1 minute ago, Dark Cloud said:

Good point. The ORCi stability could be written into the purchase contract.. If it doesn't get 110 or greater then the offer is void and it doesn't go to survey.

1 hour ago, hoppy said:

Good point. The ORCi stability could be written into the purchase contract.. If it doesn't get 110 or greater then the offer is void and it doesn't go to survey.

YeH but u still gotta pay. 

Unless it ticks all other boxes, move on. 

Just now, SCANAS said:

YeH but u still gotta pay. 

Unless it ticks all other boxes, move on. 

Certainly.... 

Ticks the major boxes except, stability for now...

The missus was less impressed, but that was in regards to the cosmetics. 

1 hour ago, hoppy said:

Looked at a boat that has an IRC SSSN of 23. Under old YA stability rules, cat 2 requires SSSN of at least 28. There is no ORCi cert for the boat or any sister ships, so I have no ORCi stability info to go on. 

From what I've read, the IRC & ORCi/IMS stability figures can vary significantly with one poorly failing a boat and the other qualifying it. I believe the boat did the S2H and other cat 1/2 races when it was young under another name. 

Inclined to cross it off the list as I want to be certain the boat is eligible for the M2D and other cat 2 races. 

Just message me with the details.

Cheers

33 minutes ago, 42 South said:

Hi Hoppy - have you seen this MBD 36 - may be worth a look but looks as the engine needs a refurb but at that price .

https://derwentboats.com.au/derwent/yachts-for-sale/used/sail-monohulls/murray-burns-dovell-bashford-howison-sydney-36/219429/

Seen it... The link you posted is weird as it goes back to this thread 

https://yachthub.com/list/yachts-for-sale/used/sail-monohulls/murray-burns-dovell-bashford-howison-sydney-36/219429

The engine does look rough..

I don't know if it is just the light, but the bulb looks like someone just added some extra weight at the front in what they guessed was a good enough shape.

29_4.jpg

4 hours ago, hoppy said:

https://yachthub.com/list/yachts-for-sale/used/sail-monohulls/murray-burns-dovell-bashford-howison-sydney-36/219429

I don't know if it is just the light, but the bulb looks like someone just added some extra weight at the front in what they guessed was a good enough shape.

Interesting, so that's the original Sydney 36 plug.  Sweet boats overall IMHO though obviously the interior on tyis is a little more rustic than a production one.

DD

no it is not the blurb is wrong.

not Sydney 36

one of three built in tas.

stern sections are very different

Whistler is the sistership

4 hours ago, hoppy said:

29_4.jpg

I bet the windows leak.

engine will be fine, maybe pull it out and repaint if you really want or replace, (approx 15k) and allow for a new bulb to be done as that one looks pretty hanky, but other than that it looks ok.

1 hour ago, lydia said:

not Sydney 36

Whistler gets a nice wrap in this report.

http://rolexsydneyhobart.com/news/2014/pre-race/tassie-tug-of-war-for-rolex-sydney-hobart-prize/

"Whistler is arguably Tasmania’s best known racing boat. She last contested the Rolex Sydney Hobart in 2011 for 10th overall and second in Division 4. She almost pulled off the overall win, leading the race for the Tattersall's Cup until the wind turned south with some oomph behind it."

Assuming Young Magic is the same, she should be relatively easy to get to Cat 2.

lydia, Do you know what is the name of the 3rd sister ship ?

A

2 hours ago, lydia said:

DD

not Sydney 36

I guess you'd know but I always thought the S36 and BH 36 were the same hull, no?  Stern looks pretty similar, maybe a bit fatter.  If it's really 4.3 Tonnes it's a lot ligter - S36 is around 5.1.  Ad says it's the same hull, but what would they know?

My under standing is the S36 was built with the S38 keel so very stiff boat and goes well in heavy conditions. The BH36 was built with a lighter keel which may explain the weight difference 

BH's had lead under the floorboards, some had it cut out for IRC racing, boats couldn't cope with more weight on the keel.

12 hours ago, Dark Cloud said:

Just rechecked the list of boat on the ORC site and discovered that the was there under it's original name. i also discovered that whilst there was on ORCi cert t download, I could pay €14.40 to get credits that allowed me to generate a test certificate. The SI came out at 110.7. Cutting it fine... The boat has changed a bit since then, so it may or may not still make it 

Bh36 and s 36 are the same beast but these are different. 

Fuller rounded bow sections and more freeboard with different stern sections 

and chunky don’t start about s36 keels as there are about 5 different versions including the t bulbs that are magically invisible to certain measurers  

cheers

Also I suspect it is that price because no one produced an abs ct for it so big problem

Hoppy, you said if Corum had a plumbed in toilet it would be a serious contender. 

I've got a spare head in the forrard berth I don't use. How about I rip it out and we'll go round and throw it on Corum for you. 

Pull it out for the survey, an hours work plumbing and you're up and running. 

I will gladly sacrifice the 2nd loo for ya mate, I can turn it into a drying room.

And just to add some wow factor, its a bidet, not jut a head. Its French after all.

Edit: I'll even tow it behind the Pogo to Hammo,  we'll pass the hat around and stuff it full of swedish backpackers and an ounce of coke for you.  

• Like 1

Every time I see Hoppy has posted on this thread I hope for the news of his purchase.  The SA group brokerage at work.

5 minutes ago, DtM said:

Every time I see Hoppy has posted on this thread I hope for the news of his purchase.  The SA group brokerage at work.

eventually...

No great rush at the moment. If I buy now and the boats not in Melbourne, then I probably have to wait for spring before I can reasonably consider bringing it here.

On 6/7/2018 at 10:39 AM, pulpit said:

Next level,

Pulpit

It's a shame road freight is that dear, considering my total road and sea freight bill for a 16,000km delivery was only $55K. You could look at SE Asia for a  boat, freight would probably be near the same as what Pulpit posted. Having said that, it seems you're spoilt for choice in Oz alone. 

My two faves are Outsidedge and Corum. Both would bring a smile to your face. 

BTw, congrats on selling the boat, that must be a welcome milestone

1 hour ago, shaggybaxter said:

It's a shame road freight is that dear, considering my total road and sea freight bill for a 16,000km delivery was only $55K. You could look at SE Asia for a  boat, freight would probably be near the same as what Pulpit posted. Having said that, it seems you're spoilt for choice in Oz alone. 

My two faves are Outsidedge and Corum. Both would bring a smile to your face. 

BTw, congrats on selling the boat, that must be a welcome milestone

Shipping Jessabbe from Turkey was about $45k. I did ask the same shipping company about NZ to Aus when I was curious about Squealer or Fineline and it was something stupid like $20k

I did get a quote for Brisy to Melbourne for Corum of $9500 + GST + work at both ends. Ok for a 200k+ boat but not for an 80k. 

I would get some more quotes.

They were not trying

1 hour ago, hoppy said:

Shipping Jessabbe from Turkey was about $45k. I did ask the same shipping company about NZ to Aus when I was curious about Squealer or Fineline and it was something stupid like $20k

I did get a quote for Brisy to Melbourne for Corum of $9500 + GST + work at both ends. Ok for a 200k+ boat but not for an 80k. 

So hoppy,

Was that just for trucking or did that include the extras - mast out, water to truck and truck to water and mast in ?

If that was just for trucking that’s not bad as it’s a truck and pilot and around 2000 kms traveling. 

How much from Airlie Beach to Melbourne ?

Pulpit

1 hour ago, hoppy said:

Ask me on the 1st September I've got some spare time! Has it Corum got an AP?

48 minutes ago, lydia said:

I would get some more quotes.

They were not trying

lydia,

why do do you think they were not trying  on the price ?

Trucking a boat can’t be done by any trucking company. The only thing that is interchangeable in this job is the prime mover. The trailer is a one off build and even most oversize trucking companies don’t design there trailers to carry power boats let alone a yacht. The beam of the mumm is over 3.5 m so will need a pilot car at $100 - 150 per hour and the truck will use 1500  odd litres of fuel. Now depending on the time frame to move the boat and if a back load can be found your not going to save much more money. 

Any way its the extras or hidden costs that are the killer in trucking any boat. 

Pulpit 

1 hour ago, pulpit said:

So hoppy,

Was that just for trucking or did that include the extras - mast out, water to truck and truck to water and mast in ?

If that was just for trucking that’s not bad as it’s a truck and pilot and around 2000 kms traveling. 

How much from Airlie Beach to Melbourne ?

Pulpit

It was just trucking and the pilot. 

Maximum looks good...

24 minutes ago, p5527 said:

Maximum looks good...

Yes & no... Nice looking but has the original spindly rig and keel. The performance will probably be worlds apart and needs close attention to the runners.