• Announcements

• Zapata

Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
RobG

Front page: A OK

51 posts in this topic

I see the SCOTW rates a mention that SA is "…appreciative of her fine form". Seems that's all we need to know: even her name isn't important, it's the image that counts.

Great way to promote women in the sport.

51 minutes ago, Editor said:

oh stop being such a pussy.

;)

Well, fuck it.  I have a 13 year old daughter, now quite excited by Laser sailing this summer.  She even knows about Sailing Anarchy, having heard about it through me.  We often look at cool sailing vids and pics on the site.

Can't say I'm thrilled about her seeing anonymous (why not provide a name if it's someone competing in a regatta?) female sailors highlighted on the front page praised for their appearance.  If the editors want to call me a pussy, fuck them.

PA is the proper place for this needless waste of bandwidth.

Are we not admiring her 'form', as in her technique?

"Nudge nudge, wink wink".

ffs, is it that hard to honour her with her name?

My inclination is to agree with the OP (I've a 15 year old daughter who is just beginning to love Lasering in a big wind)...

...BUT can any of you condemners name her?  There doesn't seem to be any name on the original photo, no sail number, no entry list on the website and no results as of yet

on balance, I think I'd rather be an unidentified SCOTW on Sailing Anarchy than not (but then I'm a middle aged, bearded fugly, so not much hope and I haven't been exposed to a lifetime of sexism, so probably shouldn't comment anyway)

2 minutes ago, CharlesA said:

on balance, I think I'd rather be an unidentified SCOTW on Sailing Anarchy than not (but then I'm a middle aged, bearded fugly, so not much hope and I haven't been exposed to a lifetime of sexism, so probably shouldn't comment anyway)

and in addition you will never be SCOTW.

Nonetheless, I also don't really see why we need SCOTW anyway. 

Didn't someone once say, this is SA. So expect everything! If you want PC, go to scuttlebut.

and yet I expect us to be gentlemenly when it comes to women. After all? Our moms are women. 

But if a lady does something that warrants an SA treatment? Go for it.

You've got to stop being misogynist dick bags - we're trying to get girls sailing - how the fuck does this help?? Every good bit of sailing promotion you do, is instantly undone when you post a SCOTW picture. And it reduces your credibility when talking about sailing.

i can guarantee the morons posting sexist shit look like this...

HeBeatAnorexia.png

You don't have to be PC to not be a douche bag.

The bottom line is that this kind of misogynistic douchbaggery puts Scott and Clean in the same class as Trump.  It does nothing to grow sailing.

Grow the fuck up.

I raced on a 50-50 crew last weekend and it was great fun. (Why wouldn't it be?).
Some of the other boats were also 50-50. (Why not?)
My office is 50-50.
Something strange is going on. Because I don't see 50-50 on sailing anarchy wrt who posts. Then again who really knows?
George Eliot was a woman. Are there any pseudonyms on SA like that?  I hope so.

What would the male version of SCOTW be called? Who would write it?

I race with a 60:40 female:male crew, and I cannot imagine any of them being offended by this in the slightest. I am not qualified to comment on the effect, if any, on teenage girls since I have sons, but I find it hard to understand why they would be discouraged from racing Lasers because some lame sailing website expresses appreciation for good female sailors who are also fit. This may come as a surprise to you, but the Internet also contains websites that express their celebration of the female form (sometimes, horrors, even in an unclothed state) with less erudite objectives. I would be somewhat shocked if 15 year old girls were unaware of this dark corner of the web.   

Woody, the difference is obvious when you have a daughter, as I do.  It shouldn't be that hard for anyone who doesn't have a daughter (Clean, would you want anyone looking at your young daughter/talking smack about how hot she is like this? check back with me in about 15 years).

It's simple.  If the post is more about how hot the girl or woman is, without any meaningful reference to her sailing abilities or achievements, then it's junior high bullshit.  If the post is about how great a sailor Dee Caffari or Sam Davies is, then by all means name them SCOTW.  But if it's a teenage girl in a wetsuit, and the original post can't even be bothered to mention her name, then pull your head out of your ass.

Have you ever seen a post on this site about any of the top sailors, with the primary point being how hot they are?  Hey, I don't give a shit about Bora's name or accomplishments... just look at his ass!

females aren't capable of being good sailors:  sexist

I can't stand being around females and will treat them like shit:  misogynistic

here's a picture of a hot female:  totally natural heterosexual male thought

New Sailing Anarchy weekly feature... Pussy Grabber of the Week!

PGOTW.PNG

9 hours ago, George Hackett said:

Didn't someone once say, this is SA. So expect everything! If you want PC, go to scuttlebut.

and yet I expect us to be gentlemenly when it comes to women. After all? Our moms are women. 

But if a lady does something that warrants an SA treatment? Go for it.

Does going sailing warrant the SA treatment??

FFS. 

Another good reason to avoid the front page, this shit got old a long time ago. 

1 hour ago, Foredeck395 said:

Woody, the difference is obvious when you have a daughter, as I do.  It shouldn't be that hard for anyone who doesn't have a daughter (Clean, would you want anyone looking at your young daughter/talking smack about how hot she is like this? check back with me in about 15 years).

It's simple.  If the post is more about how hot the girl or woman is, without any meaningful reference to her sailing abilities or achievements, then it's junior high bullshit.  If the post is about how great a sailor Dee Caffari or Sam Davies is, then by all means name them SCOTW.  But if it's a teenage girl in a wetsuit, and the original post can't even be bothered to mention her name, then pull your head out of your ass.

Have you ever seen a post on this site about any of the top sailors, with the primary point being how hot they are?  Hey, I don't give a shit about Bora's name or accomplishments... just look at his ass!

Thank you; I shall set about removing my head from my ass forthwith. While I am thus preoccupied you may wish to consider whether it is reasonable to expect a level of editorial erudition from SA which rises above sophomoric locker room humor. Prior experience suggests that this may be a forlorn hope. Prior experience also suggests that female sailors (at least those who are any good) are sufficiently good humored as to tolerate this.

Once my head is removed from it I eagerly await being exploited by SA because of my great ass.

The bow person on our beercan racer is a female. She also crewed on cats until a couple years ago.

60ish years old, and damn good at what she does. Has been sailing for 40 years. She's hot because of what she does, and how well she does it. And she can curse like a sailor when letting us know in the back of the boat that we fucked up....and she can take as well as give...

I've known her since high school, she's the owner's wife. She's also a good example to young sailors of any sex.

Anyone disrespecting her in a similar way would face a pretty ugly crew....

Posted (edited)

Looks like our latest SCOTW is sailing in the OK Dinghy Europeans.  She is girl is Maja Hansson-Mild, daughter of 2009 world champ Thomas Hansson-Mild who is also sailing.

Bad editing aside, looks like she not only got a name, but a name dropping father as well.  Guess the locker room boys got the message.  

Having been a member of SA for some time, it is fairly clear the owners/editors are sexist in some ways.  Oh sure they may now and then promote female accomplishments in the sport of sailing, but most times they just put up pictures of women in various stages of clothing and make a slight sexist remark.  Welcome to SA, were the boy's locker room is not far away.

So while the boys were putting up their picture of an Ok Dinghy sailor with it's somewhat leering remark, this woman, Lisa Blair, just completed a record breaking sail around Antarctica.  Anywhere on the front page? 

Both woman should be honored for being on the water sailing before being subject to puerile comments from men whose egos are way bigger than their dicks.

Just sayin'    

Edited by bucc5062
fix word

3 minutes ago, bucc5062 said:

Bad editing aside... Both woman should be honored for being on the water sailing before being subject to purial comments from men whose egos are way bigger than their dicks.

Just sayin'    

Puerile maybe?

Just sayin'

3 minutes ago, SF Woody Sailor said:

Puerile maybe?

Just sayin'

That would be correct though interestingly, spell check didn't catch it.

Foredek395 you aren't the only sailor in history that has daughters.

In case you don't know or remember, Sailing Anarchy wasn't set up for the betterment of sailing, its original mission was to call out the status quo of the sailing scene (along with beer and tits and general douchebaggery).

As expected there's been a bit of mission creep since then so maybe it's best that you just avoid the front page all together or maybe even better that you go join scuttlebutt.com as it seems that would be a better suited sailing site for you to hang out on.

(btw, unless you're golfing there's only one "e" in fordeck)

49 minutes ago, hobot said:

Foredek395 you aren't the only sailor in history that has daughters.

In case you don't know or remember, Sailing Anarchy wasn't set up for the betterment of sailing, its original mission was to call out the status quo of the sailing scene (along with beer and tits and general douchebaggery).

As expected there's been a bit of mission creep since then so maybe it's best that you just avoid the front page all together or maybe even better that you go join scuttlebutt.com as it seems that would be a better suited sailing site for you to hang out on.

(btw, unless you're golfing there's only one "e" in fordeck)

Uh no. 2 e's in foredeck

The most important thing in this thread so far?

How to spell foredeck.

Unless it's Bob's custom carbon cutters, in which case it's fourdeck.

2 minutes ago, Hawaiidart said:

Unless it's Bob's custom carbon cutters, in which case it's fourdeck.

Well played sir. 

On the SA douchebag scale, this only get a 2 or a 3. (see Clean's caption contest with a teenage girl in a school uniform)

Unfortunately being a pig is still part of sailing culture. Some ppl outside of the mainstream are still more mainstream than they pretend to be. 

Just look for guys who say "honey" "sweetie" "the always beautiful" "you look good" when talking about sailing - and touching someone's shoulder. You'll be surprised how often women in sailing have to deal with this during PR rounds with people they're tasked to be interviewed by. 

3 hours ago, bucc5062 said:

.So while the boys were putting up their picture of an Ok Dinghy sailor with it's somewhat leering remark, this woman, Lisa Blair, just completed a record breaking sail around Antarctica.  Anywhere on the front page? 

Thanks for posting the reference to Lisa Blair in this thread Bucc's. I've been meaning to write up a piece on Lisa for the Ed but haven't got around to it yet. There is a thread on her circumnavigation in Ocean Racing Anarchy. I've been posting updates from time to time.

Actually had a really good meal with her, her mum and my family last night. She's a truly special young lady who has done something truly amazing. She deserves all the accolades that she's getting and going to get in this country, and hopefully around the world. 

For any Aussie SA'ers who are going to the Sydney Boat Show next week lookout for her. She'll be giving a talk each day of the show. It'll be well worth your time. She is so full of energy and good vibes.

Given the topic of this thread I hereby nominate her as Sailor Chick of the Year - for her sailing achievements and being a role model for all those teenage girls out there looking for a female role model who just keeps on going despite all the problems she's had, determined to achieve her goal.

Who would like to second the motion?

2 minutes ago, Miffy said:

Unfortunately being a pig is still part of sailing culture. Some ppl outside of the mainstream are still more mainstream than they pretend to be. 

Just look for guys who say "honey" "sweetie" "the always beautiful" "you look good" when talking about sailing - and touching someone's shoulder. 

Shoud we caulle you DR.Miffey?

I have to say, when I saw this picture I only thought of 'appreciating the fine form' in terms of sailing…….a person clearly enjoying sailing a nicely trimmed OK, keeping it flat & looking ahead at what's going on around them.  That was before I read some of the nonsense in this thread……..

1 minute ago, CAN44 said:

I have to say, when I saw this picture I only thought of 'appreciating the fine form' in terms of sailing…….a person clearly enjoying sailing a nicely trimmed OK, keeping it flat & looking ahead at what's going on around them.  That was before I read some of the nonsense in this thread……..

You were able 2 think that way only because you were somehow not sullied by previous front page posts..... 

The editor seems to have selected the image from the gallery available on the event web site. Replace the image with one of the males and see if the "fine form" comment still fits. At least the story has now been edited to add some details, hooray.

As for Lisa Blair, her remarkable achievement stands on its own and it should be reported as such. It doesn't need to be qualified as "sailing chick of the week" any more than Peter Burling needs to be "sailing lad of the week".

All I see is a happy girl sailing a dinghy; don't remotely feel the need to sexualise the shot

5 hours ago, albanyguy said:

Who would like to second the motion?

Me.

She lost the fucking mast?

1 hour ago, By the lee said:

Me.

She lost the fucking mast?

Yes. Then she found a new one, and fitted it, and continued her journey, and finished that journey.

Now she's thinking about what next. I look forward to seeing what she does next, and after that.

1 minute ago, albanyguy said:

Yes. Then she found a new one,

Floating in the water?????????

Wait, it wasn't none stop? Boo...........

:P

7 hours ago, By the lee said:

Floating in the water?????????

Wait, it wasn't none stop? Boo...........

:P

Joshua Slocum was reportedly the first man to sail around the world solo.  Funny thing was, he actually stopped for repairs now and then.  The record did not say Non-stop, it was sailed solo around Antarctica.  Kind of like the youngest girl who sailed solo around the world.  She too stopped.  Maybe her next effort will be non-stop and if she attempted I'd put good money on success for now she's has better knowledge of the environment.

I think it's a cool picture of a teenager sailing an "ancient" dinghy class. Not foiling, or carbon fiber but a great class making a comeback and attracting young sailors!  And as mentioned the boat is flat, sail seems trimmed right and the sailor looking ahead.

what happened to Misty May

As my wife keeps reminding me, it's better to be looked over than overlooked. 

On 7/26/2017 at 1:44 AM, DtM said:

I also don't really see why we need SCOTW anyway. 

My wife thought SA needed it, so she started it back in 2007.

On 7/26/2017 at 9:03 PM, fastyacht said:

You were able 2 think that way only because you were somehow not sullied by previous front page posts..... 

or maybe not a pervert?

1 hour ago, MR.CLEAN said:

or maybe not a pervert?

You're wife wasn't wrong but that's a load of shit, the Ed was the one who made the joke and had to be prompted to give any actual recognition to the actual person, not just their "form"

I agree it is important to recognize the efforts of women in the sport, but stuff like this is actually belittling. It has the opposite effect of what was intended.

13 hours ago, MR.CLEAN said:

or maybe not a pervert?

Good try clean. Fuck you.