• Announcements

• Zapata

Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  
Starkey

Olson 30 doing a Bermuda race?

I just recently purchased an Olson 30 in great condition and fulling geared up for racing. I have been really wanting to do the Bermuda race and obviously, it would be easiest to sail my own boat in the race. What would be needed to do a race like that in a like the Olson, I know they are TransPac worthy and quite well suited for it at that from how well they have historically done in the race, but the Bermuda Race is a totally different beast. Any help would be greatly appreciated!  

smaller boats sometimes have trouble meeting the stability requirement for the newport-bermuda race.

but, there is also the bermuda 1-2, which gets a lot of smaller boats.

other than safety gear, the one thing you might need to buy, is reaching sails, and you may want to consider putting a sprit on the boat - do olsen 30's do that?

the races that leave from new england are usually upwind-ish. there can be a lot of close reaching, or reaching.

so - jib top/blast reacher, maybe some sort of code 0,  an A3...

On 7/27/2017 at 10:09 AM, us7070 said:

smaller boats sometimes have trouble meeting the stability requirement for the newport-bermuda race.

but, there is also the bermuda 1-2, which gets a lot of smaller boats.

other than safety gear, the one thing you might need to buy, is reaching sails, and you may want to consider putting a sprit on the boat - do olsen 30's do that?

the races that leave from new england are usually upwind-ish. there can be a lot of close reaching, or reaching.

so - jib top/blast reacher, maybe some sort of code 0,  an A3...

I will check the rules to make sure the boat does comply. As for a sprit it is something I wanted to put on even before thinking about the Bermuda race because an asym is so much easier to use sailing solo. Getting the new sails and gear will be a bit of a struggle since the crew is young, only one over 20 by the start of the race, getting the money together will be the hardest part of the race (hopefully) but we hope to locally and through Kickstarter raise money to do the refit.  

4 hours ago, WoobaGooba said:

What's your refit budget?

We are trying to raise money to help with the cost so it is unclear how much we will have for the refit but the goal is somewhere around 8-10 so the boat can get new sails, updated electronics and if there's enough left over a sleek new paint job!

Well, it wasn't all that tough to get the job done with the Olson 30. We just completed the Bermuda 1-2 a few months ago with Olson 30 #202, "Concussion," and had a grand old time.

What would you like to know?

The first thing I would say is that 4.5 to 5.5 days on an Olson 30 with more than two people is going to get old. There is no room to stand up inside the boat at all and you will start to really hate being inside of it.
Next - staying dry is a premium and absolutely impossible. The boat is extremely low to the water. After the third day I considered calling myself a u-boat commander. Everything gets wet unless you design your systems to stay dry - even then, someone - WITHOUT FAIL - will leave the companion way hatch open just as the boat will submarine through a wave, and then your sling bunks are done. In fact, your entire interior is done, because you won't have enough fresh water to properly rinse and clean it out - and then you'll have salty slime water all up in your living space. STAYING DRY IS A PREMIUM.

I built a temporary bowsprit for Concussion using a d-ring, a modified whisker pole (only a 24" section of pole) with a piston on one end to attach to the D-ring on the boat and a block on the other (I cut off the whisker hook and filed it smooth). I then drilled a hole through the battleship nose, filled it with epoxy, and then underdrilled it to run three loops of dyneema as the tie-down for the sprit. Worked perfectly and was easy to stow when not in use. I used a combination of asym and symmetrical spinnakers and treated them like pitching wedges in golf. Depending on the wind and waves I would fly a different chute. Worked great. Total cost to setup the asym pole was under $300. Happy to work with you on it and send you pictures. 

It's no secret, we broke our mast on the return trip. the constant pounding over really rough sea states over the 1300 miles snapped the 35 year old ballenger mast right at the electronics hole exit, just below the partners. Have your mast inspected, and, if your electronics hole is just below the partners in the front of the mast, consider having a rigger install a doubler to shore up the integrity of the mast. We still managed to rig a cast around the mast, and effectively converted the old stick from keel stepped to deck stepped with the judicious application of a shit-ton of spectra line and west 610 epoxy, but I wouldn't wish that nonsense again on my worst enemy.

Did I mention that staying dry is a premium? 

7 hours ago, Starkey said:

We are trying to raise money to help with the cost so it is unclear how much we will have for the refit but the goal is somewhere around 8-10 so the boat can get new sails, updated electronics and if there's enough left over a sleek new paint job!

Be sure your budget includes all of this ... http://bermudarace.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/06/2016-NBRSR-12.29.15.pdf

24 minutes ago, WoobaGooba said:

Life raft, ditch bag, epirb, plbs, gps radio(s)... can all be borrowed or rented. start reserving now. We didn't reserve early enough and had to buy everything. The life raft, alone, can be nearly $3,000 after you supply it with all the water that is required.

Also - you should understand right from the beginning, that the Olson 30 does not meet the Newport to Bermuda ORR SI stability index rating requirements of 115. Not even close. Most O30s come in around 100. So, before you go all in to refit for that race, you may want to contact the race organizer to see if they are going to grant you a waiver. If not, consider doing the Bermuda 1-2 instead. 

1 hour ago, JasonSeibert said:

Also - you should understand right from the beginning, that the Olson 30 does not meet the Newport to Bermuda ORR SI stability index rating requirements of 115. Not even close. Most O30s come in around 100. So, before you go all in to refit for that race, you may want to contact the race organizer to see if they are going to grant you a waiver. If not, consider doing the Bermuda 1-2 instead. 

From what I have read it seems like the ORR SI is a bad system for determining if a boat is able to make the cut. A history of Transpacs and Bermuda 1-2's should give the Olson 30 a little more credit as an Offshore capable boat. Also, it's not like you hear about how many boats got rolled by big waves on the Bermuda race each year. Would they grant waivers to boats that don't meet the ORR SI of 115? (where does 115 come from?) The Bermuda 40 which is one of the easiest most sea worthy boats I've ever sailed comes in at 110.   

O30s have done the Annapolis-Bermuda race. There is a fair amount of discussion about it in these forums if you search. 

On 8/1/2017 at 10:07 AM, Starkey said:

From what I have read it seems like the ORR SI is a bad system for determining if a boat is able to make the cut. A history of Transpacs and Bermuda 1-2's should give the Olson 30 a little more credit as an Offshore capable boat. Also, it's not like you hear about how many boats got rolled by big waves on the Bermuda race each year. Would they grant waivers to boats that don't meet the ORR SI of 115? (where does 115 come from?) The Bermuda 40 which is one of the easiest most sea worthy boats I've ever sailed comes in at 110.   

there have probably been 1000's of posts on this topic on SA..., it is what it is...

however, you should understand that the stability criteria is not imposed by the rating system (ORR).., rather, it is imposed by the organizing authority of the race: the Cruising Club of America, and the Royal Bermuda Yacht Club. 

I was under the impression (from a very reputable source on such manners, as a past CCA commodore) that there is a hard length limit of ~36' minimum for the Newport to Bermuda Race. It might be more, don't have time to dig through the rules. I suspect the Olson 30 may have issues meeting many of the safety requirements (hand holds for example). The Newport-Bermuda race has an excellent safety record because they have stringent safety requirements. Don't expect them to go easy on you, but do expect that they will offer help (in the form of experience, not $$'s to sort the boat) if they think your boat is seaworthy enough

On 8/9/2017 at 5:34 PM, samc99us said:

I was under the impression (from a very reputable source on such manners, as a past CCA commodore) that there is a hard length limit of ~36' minimum for the Newport to Bermuda Race. It might be more, don't have time to dig through the rules. I suspect the Olson 30 may have issues meeting many of the safety requirements (hand holds for example). The Newport-Bermuda race has an excellent safety record because they have stringent safety requirements. Don't expect them to go easy on you, but do expect that they will offer help (in the form of experience, not $$'s to sort the boat) if they think your boat is seaworthy enough

the minimum length specified in the 2016 NOR was 27.5ft, although the organizers reserved the right to waive it.

however, they also reserve the right to refuse entry to any boat that they think is not up to it.

as was mentioned, the problem for small boats is the stability requirement

Pretty sure you need an inboard engine for the Bermuda race. 

Not required for the 1-2, but if your plan is to hang your outboard on your transom for the whole race, don't be surprised to find yourself sailing little circles in the harbor waiting for the customs pier to open, singlehanded, in 25 knots, after five days with no sleep. Like at least one other Olsen 30 owner I know. :-) 

In my experience the masthead VHF radio in an Olsen 30 is way more effective than any other boat nearing its size. I have no idea why this is so. Possibly a reflection of the technical nerdery of the owner. 

Bermuda is not the downwind sled ride the O30 is built to kick ass at, most of the time anyway. This year's 1-2 was about 70% upwind/reaching for the trip down. The return trip was actually a bit of sleigh ride, but to make it work you needed to 1) nut up and 2) not break your mast. 

On 10/2/2017 at 8:31 PM, TalonF4U said:

Pretty sure you need an inboard engine for the Bermuda race. 

Not required for the 1-2, but if your plan is to hang your outboard on your transom for the whole race, don't be surprised to find yourself sailing little circles in the harbor waiting for the customs pier to open, singlehanded, in 25 knots, after five days with no sleep. Like at least one other Olsen 30 owner I know. :-) 

In my experience the masthead VHF radio in an Olsen 30 is way more effective than any other boat nearing its size. I have no idea why this is so. Possibly a reflection of the technical nerdery of the owner. 

Bermuda is not the downwind sled ride the O30 is built to kick ass at, most of the time anyway. This year's 1-2 was about 70% upwind/reaching for the trip down. The return trip was actually a bit of sleigh ride, but to make it work you needed to 1) nut up and 2) not break your mast. 

First, I nailed that docking at customs AND at St. George's with no engine. Second, that old school iCom radio was equipped with a really THICK antennae wire and was completely isolated from the AIS. My nerdiness had nothing to do with it!