• Announcements

• Zapata

Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  
Sign in to follow this  
Norse Horse

Squamish Open Annual Regatta

Winds are going to be excellent this July 28-29-30 weekend coming up and you are cordially invited to SYC and race what you brung. SOAR 2017 –

There is lots of room for everyone, I will be helping dock everyone and making sure beer is dispensed. The friday race is an inflow race from just north of Windy Point starting at Porteau into Squamish. Saturday, the long course runs from Nexen Beach to Defense Island, back to Nexen and upwind to the Watts Point mark, downwind to the finish at Nexen. Wind Terminal |Squamish Windsports Society

Sunday has the Hangover race back to Porteau. Prizes as noted on the website.

The Squamish Windsports Society . Wind

Tide Chart Squamish, British Columbia

Squamish, British Columbia - 7 Day Forecast - Environment Canada

Howe Sound - Forecast - Environment Canada

Inflows tend to increase as they approach the Squamish shoreline and can be over 30knots, so dousing becomes interesting. The Squamish River flow makes tactics interesting, as does the wind bending closer to cliffs. The river flow bends with the tides. https://webapp.navionics.com/#boating@9&key=}m{mHrm|nV

The Mamquam Blind Channel harbour access is clear, stay close to the green marker coming in to stay in the dredged channel, still 6 ft deep at a "0.00" tide level. If you are late getting here fri night the Defense Island channel is fine for anchoring, 5Coves or off Nexen Beach, for outflow wind protection. Limited anchoring across from the YC or north in the Blind Channel. Or raft up here.

New racers are welcome, there is a short course, minus the Watts Point leg, with a separate start.

A pub, hotel and stores are not far. There is a WIND fest happening in the nearby park. Live music at our clubhouse deck. A quiet piano bar on our floating lounge space.-_-

Cheers Everyone. Look forward to meeting. Ch 16 or 66a SYC

Last years racers. SOAR 2016 on Vimeo

15 hours ago, swangtang said:

Looking forward to this weekend, should be perfect conditions! 

Are you going to race your boat on Saturday? 

Yes. The Hunter 35.5 will be out there saturday, hope to have enough crew for the A-sail in sporty conditions.

I hit 9.6, 9.1 knots surfing the big 6 footers in SOGeorgia last Sunday, so I am stoked.

Bring your Hunter killers and, um,  a spare kite...:D

delta_annotated.gif

This regatta is top notch!!! usually fantastic conditions and always fun. Wish we were racing again this year but sadly a crew poll at the beginning of July had only 2 people available so I said screw it for racing the rest of the summer. Have fun everyone!

4 hours ago, Rubato said:

This regatta is top notch!!! usually fantastic conditions and always fun. Wish we were racing again this year but sadly a crew poll at the beginning of July had only 2 people available so I said screw it for racing the rest of the summer. Have fun everyone!

Two people?  That's two complete watches....a full crew!  Go Race!

10 hours ago, woodtick said:

The piper on the bow was awesome, up and down the channel. 

+1

Love that sound over the water. http://www.squamishpipeband.ca/index.htm

I guess when the Race Committee has points for streaking through a clubhouse, you can expect streaking through a clubhouse!:P

Bridge members' wife said "nice buns!" by the way, just sayin'

Someone got a free haulout at Race Rocks this weekend and Evolution Sails,Martin Marine and Valhalla Pure among sponsors. Squamish local A Frame Brewing had a tap with Joffre Lakes Rye Ale that seemed to be a hit.

Watching all the Melges plane in 31 knots was a highlight. Great wind.

3 Car Pileup in the Mamquam Blind Channel shoal, first one awarded strip chart of Sq harbour.

Met R2AK team members from Bad Kitty, Hot Mess and West Coast Wild Ones, the ODay 27 racing Sat.

My Hunter Girl retreated to the cabin from the mad winching. She got boffed by a pudding cup from the far shelf in the salon, right in the noggin', on a big gust. When the dishes in the furniture boat blew out of the cabinet[first ever time] and cleared the sink into a crashing mess under the nav station, you can imagine her delight.

The best chuckle for me was when my crew panicked on a gibe and quickly hand wound the main sheet backwards, bitter end first, into a fine Lewmar Coconut, the finest I have seen.

Took me 2 tacks to unjam that winch from the tailing knob...:(