NC-LASER

Show and tell!!

Well I had to pull the plug on that last post for obvious reasons. So here is a picture of her partially rigged. That is a Rolly Tasker sail. Anyone any experience with the brand? 

20170722_152008.jpeg

Here's a beforehand.  I didn't take many in this condition.  Quite embarrassing.  A few days, couple of late nights, many cases of beer, epoxy,  and a layer of skin off my hands (you should really wear gloves when using Bar Keepers Friend). Left garage bay is my flats/polling skiff suspended so I can use the trailer for the Laser. 

20170715_163922.jpeg

Mast Step repair.  A good fillet of sawdust thickened TotatBoat epoxy. The step seemed recessed well into the base plate, so I didn't see any need for glass. 

20170721_200501.jpeg

If anyone in NC needs mast step repair done or has any old beaters in need of repair that they would like to donate to help start up a sailing school in the Pinehurst area.....let me know!!

Burnt chef- thank you!! I hope to take her out again tomorrow,  weather permitting. 

Gouv- I don't know? I honestly didn't even inspect the sail when I got it from my buddy. I saw the colors were bright and the material still crisp...... figured I'd get the hell out of there before he changed his mind!!

I am a little concerned that I'm dealing with some foam core separation where you sit. Maybe, maybe.... this winter I will split her open and strip out the foam core and redo with balsa then re-glass. Right now the skiff is my first priority.  Glassing in stringers/ribs, false floor, and then bow and aft casting decks, and... fabricate a casting platform. Ahhh the joys of boat ownership.  I need another one like I need another hobby!! Luckily,  I'm gifted in the diy department.  

Wrong time of year for boat work. 

How I spent  my evening 

IMG_3074.JPG

10 hours ago, Gouvernail said:

How did the sail earn a chevron?? 

Sailmakers logo

7 hours ago, Rushman said:

Sailmakers logo

Nobody puts a chevron under the bottom batten as a sailmaker logo. It would be absurdly inappropriate and disrespectful  to do so. The chevron has a specific meaning in virtually every sailing class and mocking it is unacceptable behavior 

1 hour ago, Gouvernail said:

Nobody puts a chevron under the bottom batten as a sailmaker logo. It would be absurdly inappropriate and disrespectful  to do so. The chevron has a specific meaning in virtually every sailing class and mocking it is unacceptable behavior 

It legitimately is part of their logo. News to me too! http://www.rollytasker.com/

That chevron is in the incorrect place to have any meaning other than the sail maker and they are not the only one with that on their sails.  It's more common than you think.  For a chevron, diamond, medallion, or bar to have any meaning it must be located between the top and middle batten.  Otherwise it is just stuff on a sail.

25 minutes ago, burnt chef said:

So for the new to the game.  What does a boat have to do to earn a chevron?

Eric

Usually win a championship of a varying type.

2 minutes ago, Ross said:

Usually win a championship of a varying type.

Actually the right to stick a single chevron on a sail is awarded to each daily 1st place finisher and the series 4th & 5th place finishers at a World Championship.

If you really want to know how to win 1, 2 or 3 chevrons, or medallions, or bars, or diamonds  and whether they should be red, green, blue or light blue, and exactly where to stick your chevrons or medallions or bars or diamonds on your sail, it is all laid out in excruciating detail in ILCA By-Law 5 which was obviously written by the sort of people who provoked NC-LASER to his recent rant.

In my 35 years in the Laser class I have sailed with many people who must have qualified to put 1, 2 or 3 chevrons, medallions, or bars, or diamonds on their sails (especially light blue ones) and I can confidently say that hardly any of them bother to invoke that privilege.

A chevron is like any other medal. Those who earn one often choose not to flaunt it. Those who display one without having earned it are scum 

5 hours ago, Gouvernail said:

A chevron is like any other medal. Those who earn one often choose not to flaunt it. Those who display one without having earned it are scum 

It is a boomerang not a chevron

Just now, Rushman said:

It is a boomerang not a chevron

It is all coming back now 

19 minutes ago, Gouvernail said:

It is all coming back now 

It's not a chevron. It's a distress signal for "full of water". Back to work. Re-setting the cockpit drain(brass) and possibly on to the gunwales. She pissed about 5 gallons when I got her on the trailer. Was a good day though. We don't get them offen during this time of year in central NC. I'd post a pic of today's outing but I'm having problems get the pictures small enough to post. 

If it is a typical  cell phone photo Ya gotta crop and crop and crop some more 

5 hours ago, NC-LASER said:

It's not a chevron. It's a distress signal for "full of water". Back to work. Re-setting the cockpit drain(brass) and possibly on to the gunwales. She pissed about 5 gallons when I got her on the trailer. Was a good day though. We don't get them offen during this time of year in central NC. I'd post a pic of today's outing but I'm having problems get the pictures small enough to post. 

Email to yourself, attach the photo, select size to be sent, save photo from email, post

1 hour ago, Rushman said:

Email to yourself, attach the photo, select size to be sent, save photo from email, post

Cool!!! If I can remember who the hell I am, I might send myself some stuff. 

Yeah. I've been texting the pictures to myself. Compressing them that way. For some reason even with crop and text compression they are still too big. Oh well. This mast has a two rivet collar on the top section. It's my understanding that just a single rivet is the norm now. Should I flip it?? 

Just upload the pics to imgur and paste the image url from imgur in your post as text.

The forum s/w will embed the image, no resize fucking about needed.

14 hours ago, NC-LASER said:

Was a good day though. We don't get them offen during this time of year in central NC.

Boy don't you know it.  Feels like fall.

I was all set to go sailing yesterday morning.  I was putting on my swimsuit before loading all the sailing stuff in the car, then I had a bad muscle spasm in my lower back.  I don't know what set it off, but it has left me hobbling around the house while it is beautiful outside.  Getting old sucks.

Dex- thanks! I'll give that a try.

Torrid- it was a nice surpise. Today turned out nice as well. Unfortunately, I can't find time to get out today. I grew up on Jordan lake sailing/swimming a Hobie 16. I'm a mediocre sailor and an awesome swimmer!! Haha!! Sorry to hear about your back. I know the pain all too well. Rest up bro!

Wess- close your ears, I'm about to bitch about a free boat.

Well, boys and girls ain't nothin' free! I went ahead and epoxied in the cockpit drain. Good to go there. Flipped her over and inspected the gunwales. Might as well redo these too. My buddy took it upon himself to make this repair with some white bathroom silicone and a few stainless bolts along the seam. PLEASE..... PLEASE...... never use silicone on fiberglass!! I tried power tools and I am afraid to eat into the fiberglass. Really thin at this seam. Best to do it by hand. Found the perfect tools.... some old bird beak carpet knives. Gets in there really good and actually helps pull the silicone and original bonding agent out. Slow back breaking work bending over this sucker for extended periods of time. It looks like I'm going to be doing the entire boat all the way around. Better to leave nothing to chance. The worst locations seem to be where the cockpit is. About a 1/4" gap on both sides and really doesn't want to flush together even when I clamp the deck to the hull. I see why it had become a problem. A lot of stress holding this joint together and I'm afraid even with epoxy and clamps it'll want to pull apart again. I think my best option is to make sure the deck and hull are clamped together and just fill the seam with thickend epoxy then grind it all flush. Well, she's going to be out of commission for awhile. But, in the end..... a small price to pay for a free boat!!

Free pro tip to thicken epoxy..... use saw dust from your dust collection system for areas that won't be seen. For seam work and fairing, take your saw dust and grind it into a fine powder with your coffee grinder. Thicken to taste!!

Rushman- Thanks for the reassurance!!! I was figuring that is the best way to go. Sadly this job is going to take a lot of time. 

Salesman says it is great stuff. I haven't tried it. It the guy has been representing paint companies and visiting my shop for 30+ years without fibbing to me yet

plesse note:

lasers are originally constructed with a non flexible not particularly adhesive putty. A boat entirely assembled with a rubbery glue  would probably stay together ok but it would be wiggly.

ii think the gunwale construction is such overkill on a Laser that axsliggtly flexible adhesive would perform as inflexible 

Gouv- I'm going to go with thickened epoxy. The hull is soft right below the gunwales. I don't know if an inflexible adhesive will help that any, but can't hurt I guess.