• Announcements

• Zapata

Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  
badlatitude

North Korea Fires Another Missile While Trump Does Nothing

363 posts in this topic

North Korea fires another missile, South Korea and Japan say

"Pyongyang has been making rapid and alarming progress on its missile program, experts say, and U.S. intelligence agencies had in recent days spotted preparations for another test.

North Korea’s leader Kim Jong Un has repeatedly said he wants a nuclear-tipped missile that can reach the United States.

The latest provocation compounds the problem facing the Trump administration and North Korea’s neighbors: There seems to be no good way to stop the Kim regime from making progress with its nuclear weapons program."
This is a developing story. It will be updated.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/world/wp/2017/07/28/north-korea-fires-another-missile-south-korea-and-japan-say/?pushid=597b59c13107b81d00000007&tid=notifi_push_breaking-news&utm_term=.92bf6b77cf9b

Bombing them might give the so-called President a much needed distraction. 

Just now, Clove Hitch said:

Bombing them might give the so-called President a much needed distraction. 

Solving the problem would work too.

Just now, badlatitude said:

Trump couldn't solve the problem of how to make a sammich if you gave him bread, cheese and ham.

Just now, Clove Hitch said:

Trump couldn't solve the problem of how to make a sammich if you gave him bread, cheese and ham.

Truth.

Gropenfuhrer's blustering was all we had. 

The senile old farts only knowledge of the Korean Conflict likely comes from watching episodes of M.A.S.H.

Yesterday Gropenfuhrer's response to intel about the upcoming launch was to toss out Klinger. Of course Dolt45 the TV POTUS got that wrong on multiple levels. 

Not only was Klinger not identifying as female, after Radar left, Klinger became a top notch company clerk 

IMG_3163.JPG

3 minutes ago, Clove Hitch said:

No mustard and horseradish?? 

I couldn't either 

Trump doing nothing may well be a good option. 

46 minutes ago, Gouvernail said:

I couldn't either 

Mustard, but horseradish really belongs on rare roast beef with thinly sliced Vidalia onions, lettuce, tomato, mayonnaise, some freshly grilled sweet red peppers on very lightly toasted rye, or sourdough if you want to add some warmed au jus.....

I expect stern language, and perhaps a rotation of the Raytheon stock into a pre-approved facility. 

Kim is so unfair to Trump. Not just unfair, but so unfair!

Sic the Mooch on Kim Jong-un. I think the Korean would buckle under the pressure of the spic's language.

1 hour ago, Mrleft8 said:

Mustard, but horseradish really belongs on rare roast beef with thinly sliced Vidalia onions, lettuce, tomato, mayonnaise, some freshly grilled sweet red peppers on very lightly toasted rye, or sourdough if you want to add some warmed au jus.....

Horseradish goes great with ham and cheese! Lettuce, tomato, Vidalia (thinly sliced? Nah, need the crunch) and mayo on sourdough.

Damn, I have everything but the ham. I'm hungry for one now with one of my sister's homemade pickles on the side.

I was going to do Friday night fish fry but now ham 'n cheese it is. I'd do some fresh corn on the side since we're swimming in it but my grill is broken and I'm too lazy to dirty up a pot for an ear of corn.

2 hours ago, Gouvernail said:

I couldn't either 

The stupid fuck eats his steak well done with ketchup.  You think he wants horseradish on a sammich?

Someone needs to check with Murkowski and Collins to see what they want done. He's their bitch now. 

31 minutes ago, Clove Hitch said:

The stupid fuck eats his steak well done with ketchup.  You think he wants horseradish on a sammich?

Dollars to doughnuts I bet he wouldn't notice if you slathered his burnt steak with horseradish, and elephant jizz as long as it was smothered in ketchup.

3 hours ago, Mrleft8 said:

Horseradish is widely under utilized... Apparently, you  are one of those who wastes many opportunities to enjoy some 

1 hour ago, Clove Hitch said:

I don't care what Gropenfuhrer eats except I would prefer to believe it is  high in saturated fats, high fructose corn syrup, saccharin, artificial dyes, and whatever might help his kidneys to grow nice big painful to pass stones 

13 minutes ago, Gouvernail said:

Horseradish is widely under utilized... Apparently, you  are one of those who wastes many opportunities to enjoy some 

I grow my own horseradish. It's a weed and pretty much can't be killed. Just process outside with a blender, vinegar and a pinch of salt.

DO NOT process indoors. My Dad made that mistake once.

Once.

But yeah, I throw it on lots of cold foods and make a sauce for prime rib that's killer. Crap, now I want prime rib. Oh well, the ham is cheaper and I don't have to make mashed potatoes for a sammich.

so, what do all you girls want the president to do about it?

Nothing has ever worked with the Norks. It just hurts the people, not the morons running the place.

Be prepared. That's what I would do.

42 minutes ago, Gouvernail said:

Every so often I take a spoonful and just pop it in my mouth by it's self. Wasabi can really clear your sinuses out, but good fresh horseradish with white vinegar is damned good too!

If I can't taste it in a meatloaf, I've failed the recipe.

9 minutes ago, hermetic said:

Some 'thing' versus no 'thing' would be a good start. He tried talking and that didn't work, then he threatened and that didn't work either. How about shooting down those missiles so they can't gauge their effectiveness? or is our capability to do that just another brag that no one wants to talk about?

My guess is zip, nada, zilch, at least until after Seoul or Tokyo are reduced to rubble. Then he 'might' turn off the television and do something, but I wouldn't put money on it.

Theoretically he's made it so Dennis Rodman can't go visit anymore...... Isn't that punishment enough?

2 hours ago, HardOnWind said:

Sic the Mooch on Kim Jong-un. I think the Korean would buckle under the pressure of the spic's language.

Guinea......just sayin'

Just now, Mrleft8 said:

Theoretically he's made it so Dennis Rodman can't go visit anymore...... Isn't that punishment enough?

That punishes us.  He should send Rodman over there permanently. 

2 hours ago, HardOnWind said:

WTH? Can we send a kike or nip with him?

7 minutes ago, dacapo said:

Guinea......just sayin'

Funny...... He doesn't look African.....

The Mooch! Give 'em the Mooch!

5976bae95d8a2f26008b4e14.jpg?preset=arti

8 minutes ago, Mrleft8 said:

Funny...... He doesn't look African.....

that would be racist............

The New York Times is saying the latest missile had the capability to make the West Coast. Balls in your court Mr. President, don't flub it.

"North Korea tested an intercontinental ballistic missile on Friday that, for the first time, appeared capable of reaching the West Coast of the United States, according to experts — a milestone that American presidents have long declared the United States could not tolerate.

The launching, the second of an intercontinental missile in 24 days, did not answer the question of whether the North has mastered all the technologies needed to deliver a nuclear weapon to targets in the United States. But just a few days ago, the Defense Intelligence Agency warned the Trump administration the North would probably be able to do so within a year, and Friday’s test left little doubt that Kim Jung-un, the North Korean leader, is speeding toward that goal."

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/07/28/world/asia/north-korea-ballistic-missile.html?action=click&contentCollection=us&module=NextInCollection&region=Footer&pgtype=article&version=newsevent&rref=collection%2Fnews-event%2Fdonald-trump-white-house

HOLD ON!

He didn't do nothing!

He fired his chief of staff (On Friday afternoon/evening) and replaced him with another one of "his generals"......

These are the guys who talked Trump into firing all the trannies from the military.....

If they were really smart, the trannies would have been the front line,the first wave, the......................... cannon fodder......

Yeah, no, that would have a bad media image thing...... Sending Mrs. Doubtfire, John Travolta as  Divine, and Tootsie in to be gunned down just wouldn't work out....

1 hour ago, hermetic said:

Use a bit of salt, some black pepper and if he must, A1. But otherwise leave the steak alone and eat it!

"The New York Times is saying the latest missile had the capability to make the West Coast. Balls in your court Mr. President, don't flub it.

"North Korea tested an intercontinental ballistic missile on Friday that, for the first time, appeared capable of reaching the West Coast of the United States,"

"Screw the west coast, they all voted for Clinton" (likely Trump/Mooch quote)

1 minute ago, jerseyguy said:

"The New York Times is saying the latest missile had the capability to make the West Coast. Balls in your court Mr. President, don't flub it.

"North Korea tested an intercontinental ballistic missile on Friday that, for the first time, appeared capable of reaching the West Coast of the United States,"

"Screw the west coast, they all voted for Clinton" (likely Trump/Mooch quote)

I'll forever be grateful that the prevailing winds will blow all that fallout on red states.

1 hour ago, dacapo said:

that would be racist............

7 hours ago, mad said:

Trump doing nothing may well be a good option. 

+1

1 hour ago, Mrleft8 said:

HOLD ON!

He didn't do nothing!

He fired his chief of staff (On Friday afternoon/evening) and replaced him with another one of "his generals"......

These are the guys who talked Trump into firing all the trannies from the military.....

If they were really smart, the trannies would have been the front line,the first wave, the......................... cannon fodder......

Yeah, no, that would have a bad media image thing...... Sending Mrs. Doubtfire, John Travolta as  Divine, and Tootsie in to be gunned down just wouldn't work out....

14 hours ago, badlatitude said:

Some 'thing' versus no 'thing' would be a good start.

That's the traditional interventionist world view.

It assumes a level of competence that isn't in evidence IMO.

Short coming?? Stop with the dwarf jokes already 

Remember when a russian plane would fly close to one of our planes or ships and the wingers would jump up and down about Obama being a pussy and how the world laughs at america? Where are those wingers now?

Just now, Dex Sawash said:

Remember when a russian plane would fly close to one of our planes or ships and the wingers would jump up and down about Obama being a pussy and how the world laughs at america? Where are those wingers now?

That's a thought provoking question

thinky.w710.h473.jpg

Trump did do something!  And so purely Trumpian!

He blamed China!

The man has skills!

The buck doesn't stop at Gropenfuhrer's desk. 

In fact, it goes to China to buy more hats 

1 hour ago, Gouvernail said:

The buck doesn't stop at Gropenfuhrer's desk. 

In fact, it goes to China to buy more hats 

Mmmmmmmm....  Hats......

The russian pawn is out to destroy America 

Just now, Gouvernail said:

The russian pawn is out to destroy America 

That's what they thought .  And then they ran into Trump.  Surprise!!!!

Kiss your ass good bye!  

Our gift to the world.  

You're welcome....

There are no good options apart from the status quo. Any attack on NK would result in millions of lives lost including 35000 Americans in SK. Kim is not so dumb to launch an attack on the US as that would result in complete annihilation of NK and he still has a lot of sex and drugs and murdering to do.

Sorry but I am with Trump so far and he is a good unstable foil for Kim, he is correct in ratcheting up the rhetoric but without unified sanctions from all trading partners there is nothing to be done.

Kim knows that the ONLY way to prevent a US imperialist invasion of his sovereign state is to retain nukes since he has seen what happened to Iraq and Libya when they disarmed.

51 minutes ago, Gutterblack said:

There are no good options apart from the status quo. Any attack on NK would result in millions of lives lost including 35000 Americans in SK. Kim is not so dumb to launch an attack on the US as that would result in complete annihilation of NK and he still has a lot of sex and drugs and murdering to do.

Sorry but I am with Trump so far and he is a good unstable foil for Kim, he is correct in ratcheting up the rhetoric but without unified sanctions from all trading partners there is nothing to be done.

Kim knows that the ONLY way to prevent a US imperialist invasion of his sovereign state is to retain nukes since he has seen what happened to Iraq and Libya when they disarmed.

How many missiles does Kim have?   Is he firing them off as fast as he makes them?  

How many warheads?

15 minutes ago, Gutterblack said:

Trump is a moron, but even a broken clock is right twice a day. 

2.  Not bad.  What if......

How good are humans?  

Cybernauts might b better-  Trump with a capital T?

The future awaits.  What did Trump's doctor say- he's good considering?

Re-scanning Dune.  Done.  Release the Atomics?

1 hour ago, SV Airlie said:

Ego trump smart! His country is a mess, his people are starving. Hungary populations are not happy. Sanctions are working. Kim has to use what he does to placate them or they may turn on him.

.....And after, across the land the people will rejoice and sing and live happily ever after.

You the complete moron.

The first point: Lil' Kim is hoping to go the way of China, to become a Superpower, and gradually have a prez like Nixon visit, and thereafter gain acceptance.

The second point is that the Economy of NK is so horrible, only reunification with SK will solve their structural problems. That is their logical endgame scenario. The US has to leave SK to make that possible, so that would be the trade for peace.

It is generally assumed that no one will fire the first shot in a nuclear exchange, because the result is too horrible to consider. But retaliation/acceleration of a conflict is likely to result from preemptive assaults. Basically, we are probably dammed if we do preemptively assault, and are likely NOT dammed if we don't. Rational application of game theory means you must choose to NOT assault NK preemptively, 

So, Drumpf should fund the fucking State Department. He is an idiot to limit America's options needlessly. It is a big waste of $$ to not avail yourself of the experts who excel in exactly this sort of calculus, and no one trusts his Orangeness to get it right by instinct. Failure to do so means an earlier end to his political career as the military and the foreign policy experts in the GOP realize the threat to the US and humanity if this escalates because of our CIC's incompetence. This will really juice impeachment momentum if given the chance.

3 hours ago, phillysailor said:

fund the fucking State Department. He is an idiot to limit America's options needlessly. It is a big waste of $$ to not avail yourself of the experts who excel in exactly this sort of calculus,

Is there some evidence that such people have worked for our State Dept?

Haven't seen it.

Scarborough points out that we're gonna need some more chocolate cake for the Chinese. 

On 7/28/2017 at 10:40 PM, badlatitude said:

North Korea fires another missile, South Korea and Japan say

"Pyongyang has been making rapid and alarming progress on its missile program, experts say, and U.S. intelligence agencies had in recent days spotted preparations for another test.

North Korea’s leader Kim Jong Un has repeatedly said he wants a nuclear-tipped missile that can reach the United States.

The latest provocation compounds the problem facing the Trump administration and North Korea’s neighbors: There seems to be no good way to stop the Kim regime from making progress with its nuclear weapons program."
This is a developing story. It will be updated.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/world/wp/2017/07/28/north-korea-fires-another-missile-south-korea-and-japan-say/?pushid=597b59c13107b81d00000007&tid=notifi_push_breaking-news&utm_term=.92bf6b77cf9b

What would like him to do? 

Trump's so busy doing the rope-a-dope on so many fronts, he's probably just praying the bell will ring, and the first round will be over.

"....... Mike Tyson!?..... I thought I was supposed to be fighting Cicely Tyson!....."  :rolleyes:

5 hours ago, Uncooperative Tom said:

Is there some evidence that such people have worked for our State Dept?

Haven't seen it.

Where were you looking?

17 minutes ago, Amati said:

Where were you looking?

At our string of nation-building success stories.

38 minutes ago, Mrleft8 said:

Trump's so busy doing the rope-a-dope on so many fronts, he's probably just praying the bell will ring, and the first round will be over.

"....... Mike Tyson!?..... I thought I was supposed to be fighting Cicely Tyson!....."  :rolleyes:

He is doing everything possible to get everyones attention off of Muellers Russia investigation.  Quick, Squirrel!!!

17 minutes ago, Uncooperative Tom said:

Like Europe and Japan.

1 hour ago, Mickey Rat said:

What would like him to do? 

Anything besides sitting on his ass and doing nothing but tweeting about it.

When that 3 am phone call comes, the absolutely unfit for the job  Gropenfuhrer will let it go to voicemail because he is finishing up his morning tweets

13 hours ago, Gutterblack said:

I agree with most of what you say. I served there close to the DMZ, and our presence was just as a tripwire not a real opposition force. The civilian cost would be extraordinary. It used to be said the North would push all the way to Seoul pretty much unchecked, I don't know if that's still the case, but probably so. 

I disagree that the US has designs on DRPK territory. The people of the North have been programmed to think so for generations, starting with the lie that we started the war by invading Noth Korea. That's just not what happened there. That's not to say we don't make big mistakes elsewhere, of course.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/worldviews/wp/2017/05/17/why-does-north-korea-hate-the-united-states-lets-go-back-to-the-korean-war/?utm_term=.df40ba07da3d

The obvious answer is that we Must drastically expand the US military budget immediately, immediately, immediately, immediately.  

A bit tongue in cheek regarding an invasion, I'm pretty sure that the US doesn't want any real estate in that area. To some degree it's all showmanship, as both sides know that any attempt at war especially nuclear war is complete destruction.

Lost in all the posturing  is the price of a human life. It's a bit disturbing to see Trump playing to his base like a kid with matches under the house but  there are grown-ups around him who will  definitely not allow a full scale war to occur 

1 minute ago, Gutterblack said:

A bit tongue in cheek regarding an invasion, I'm pretty sure that the US doesn't want any real estate in that area. To some degree it's all showmanship, as both sides know that any attempt at war especially nuclear war is complete destruction.

Lost in all the posturing  is the price of a human life. It's a bit disturbing to see Trump playing to his base like a kid with matches under the house but  there are grown-ups around him who will  definitely not allow a full scale war to occur 

Fortunately for the US, we have a leader who is strong, and manly, and knows about combat.  He does not back down from a fight...unless he is being drafted for it.  

"Objective truths are established by evidence. Personal truths by faith. Political truths by incessant repetition." - Tyson

Would that be Mike, or Cicely? :D

4 hours ago, Gutterblack said:

A war with the NK's would last about 24 hours. Hit every air base, known missile site, all party and Kim family hideouts and all command centres. Then just mow the cunts down at the boarder. Yep lots of North Koreans will die but that is no ones fault but Lil' Kim's. You snowflakes can keep convincing yourself that he will see reason and disarm his nukes but since you believe in the hoax of global warming as well, you will believe anything. This fuckwit needs to be stopped. 

What's the official party line in Australia this week?

Global warming, or the Australian solution to NK? Either will do?

16 minutes ago, LB 15 said:

A war with the NK's would last about 24 hours. Hit every air base, known missile site, all party and Kim family hideouts and all command centres. Then just mow the cunts down at the boarder. Yep lots of North Koreans will die but that is no ones fault but Lil' Kim's. You snowflakes can keep convincing yourself that he will see reason and disarm his nukes but since you believe in the hoax of global warming as well, you will believe anything. This fuckwit needs to be stopped. 

Like a Shock and awe thingy?

3 minutes ago, mad said:

Australian national news headers this morning 

http://www.abc.net.au/news/national/

Why do you think we hang around here? :D

Tick, Tick, Tic, while Donnie twiddles his thumbs, North Korea develops the ability to hit the mainland and now, with ejection tests, prepares to arm its missiles on its submarines. Yay

Washington (CNN)"The US military has detected "highly unusual and unprecedented levels" of North Korean submarine activity and evidence of an "ejection test" in the days following Pyongyang's second intercontinental ballistic missile launch this month, a defense official told CNN on Monday. 

An ejection test examines a missile's "cold-launch system," which uses high pressure steam to propel a missile out of the launch canister into the air before its engines ignite, preventing damage to the submarine or submersible barge that would launch the missile. 

Carried out on land at Sinpo Naval Shipyard, Sunday's ejection test is the third time this month -- and fourth this year -- that North Korea has conducted a trial of the missile component that is critical to developing submarine launch capabilities, according to the US defense official. 

Coupled with reports of increased submarine activity, news of another ejection test comes amid concerns over North  Korea's launch of an intercontinental ballistic missile that appears to have the range to hit major US cities. http://www.cnn.com/2017/07/31/politics/north-korea-ejection-test-submarine-activity/index.html

1 hour ago, mad said:

The government is completely preoccupied with the Gay marriage plebiscite and the parties internal knife sharpening. All the fuckwit opposition want to talk about is becoming a republic and the greens are all burning their second passports in their sustainable backyards. We are fucked.

Go Golf for three weeks, Mr. President, Ivanka can handle this for you.

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - "North Korea's latest test of an intercontinental ballistic missile (ICBM) has shown that Pyongyang now may be able to reach most of the continental United States, two U.S. officials told Reuters on Monday. 

The assessment, which the officials discussed on condition of anonymity, underscored the growing threat posed by Pyongyang's nuclear and missile programs, and could add pressure on President Donald Trump's administration to respond. 

North Korea said on Saturday it had conducted another successful test of an ICBM that proved its ability to strike America's mainland. 

North Korean leader Kim Jong Un supervised the midnight launch of the missile on Friday night and called it a "stern warning" to the United States that it would not be safe from destruction if it tried to attack, the North's official KCNA news agency said."

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-northkorea-missiles-usa-assessment-idUSKBN1AG2J4

6 hours ago, LB 15 said:

Snowflakes of a certain age know the best thing to do is to gather their loved ones, find a hill nearest a primary blast zone, hold hands, and be disassembled instantaneously atom by atom in the company of those they love.  

In other words, LB, go fuck your smug, condescending, self.  There are those of us Snowflakes who have been living with the reality of thermonuclear global warfare for more than half a century.  We will more than melt- we will be obliterated.  Any expectation less is fanciful.   At best, nuclear winter takes most of us.  And radioactive fallout will bedevil the rest.  What kind of moral sadist are you?

6 hours ago, LB 15 said:

LB 15,   Either you are trolling or you are simply uninformed.  I will be generous and presume that you are uninformed.  The situation and NK is a Mexican stand-off, Kim has over 8000 artillery pieces aimed at Seoul in a grid pattern, estimates are that shells would land every 3 m². Enough to kill millions, add into that mix massive stockpiles of nerve gas,  biological weapons and conventional arms plus a standing army of a million soldiers? Any attack by the west would wreak a hunan tragedy not seen since the world wars, yet you drink the propanda kool aid and your white privilege reduces asian lives to nothing.

There are no good options that involve war

No one mentions that the US can strike any country with its own nukes,  if I was Kim I'd be  getting an ICBM as fast as possible as a deterrent. I don't agree with the North Korean regime I don't want a proliferation of nuclear weapons but this is the horror of nuclear arms races and you can't stop countries from getting them unless they decide not to get them.

Perhaps the US politicians will finally be forced to treat the leaders of North Korea with respect.

Then? Maybe even try befriending them 

37 minutes ago, Gutterblack said:

No one mentions that the US can strike any country with its own nukes,  if I was Kim I'd be  getting an ICBM as fast as possible as a deterrent. I don't agree with the North Korean regime I don't want a proliferation of nuclear weapons but this is the horror of nuclear arms races and you can't stop countries from getting them unless they decide not to get them.

Sadly, our horrible history of intervention supports your argument.  The mid east would probably be a lot more stable right now if Saddam had a credible deterrent. 

The USA is creating enemies all over the planet.... which my itself isn't very wonderful at all but ... we have not had a positive trade balance since the seventies and we have been a debtor nation since the Reagan administration and...'we are the single most indebted to others nation on the the planet 

holding them off with our weapons won't work for long .....

of course we are busily destroying the ecosphere so they wont get a damn thing

On 7/28/2017 at 9:55 AM, badlatitude said:

It's a tough problem to solve. The U.N. sanctions are still on, and now China is doing less business with them now that they're sourcing their coal elsewhere.

I'm not a fan of President Trump, but in this case, inaction is probably better than a lot of other shittier options. They have survived as long as they have because they had China slipping them sandwiches over the transom. Now, not so much, and they can't be an economic island forever. North Korea has shown that their one major asset is their patience, if the rest of the world can wait and beat them at their own game, there might be a kind of political shift there, out of necessity. But giving them soundbites seems to embolden them.

1 hour ago, Gutterblack said:

LB 15,   Either you are trolling or you are simply uninformed.  I will be generous and presume that you are uninformed.  The situation and NK is a Mexican stand-off, Kim has over 8000 artillery pieces aimed at Seoul in a grid pattern, estimates are that shells would land every 3 m². Enough to kill millions, add into that mix massive stockpiles of nerve gas,  biological weapons and conventional arms plus a standing army of a million soldiers? Any attack by the west would wreak a hunan tragedy not seen since the world wars, yet you drink the propanda kool aid and your white privilege reduces asian lives to nothing.

There are no good options that involve war

Yup. An enemy with nothing to lose is a formidable enemy. Whatever bullshit lifestyle their top folks have there is keeping some stability.

18 hours ago, Amati said:
19 hours ago, Uncooperative Tom said:

Like Europe and Japan.

Yes, it's a very short, musty, old string.

Interventionists keep trying and failing to attach new pieces. I wish they'd stop.

East Timor seems to have turned out to be a not bad result for foreign intervention. :rolleyes:

That was Australia though.

One big problem with hitting North Korea is as mentioned. Many of their thousands of artilliry pieces are literally dug into mountains and registered on targets in the south. They roll out and fire, and then roll back to avoid counterbattery fire. There are whole squadrons of aircraft and support equipment located inside mountains. They've found tunnels dug under the DMZ big enough to move tank divisions through, with only their exit left to be blown open. The 3 Kim's have been preparing for war for a long time, it would be an ugly mess.

Negotiate with and appease North Korea? Ain't gonna happen.

1 hour ago, Chum said:

One big problem with hitting North Korea is as mentioned. Many of their thousands of artilliry pieces are literally dug into mountains and registered on targets in the south. They roll out and fire, and then roll back to avoid counterbattery fire. There are whole squadrons of aircraft and support equipment located inside mountains. They've found tunnels dug under the DMZ big enough to move tank divisions through, with only their exit left to be blown open. The 3 Kim's have been preparing for war for a long time, it would be an ugly mess.

Negotiate with and appease North Korea? Ain't gonna happen.

North Korea shares a border with both Russia and China. I think that they would negotiate with either or both of those countries in a heartbeat if they could bring something worthy to the table.

For instance, drop the U.N. sanctions for full NPT compliance, and sweeten the deal with say, a few titanium refineries, a few major factories, maybe even rare earths, let them become a major global supplier, reopen the tourist trade. Just bypass the U.S. DMZ stalemate.

They're an industrialized country, I think that a big part of their marginalization comes from being marginalized for so long. And also that South Korea and the USA military industry benefit from not being unified. They don't need to be unified, and that shouldn't be a goal. If it happens inthefuture, okay, but waiting for the USA to disengage won't happen.

Jordan is a terrific template for what could happen there is everyone involved can just ignore the elephant in the room for a decade or so.

4 hours ago, Scratchanot said:

East Timor seems to have turned out to be a not bad result for foreign intervention. :rolleyes:

That was Australia though.

:lol:

5 hours ago, Uncooperative Tom said:

Interventionists keep trying and failing to attach new pieces. I wish they'd stop.

South Korea.....

So what's Trump supposed to do about these missiles? Jump up and snatch them out of thin air with his teeth, like a dog catching a frisbee?

32 minutes ago, mikewof said:

North Korea shares a border with both Russia and China. I think that they would negotiate with either or both of those countries in a heartbeat if they could bring something worthy to the table.

For instance, drop the U.N. sanctions for full NPT compliance, and sweeten the deal with say, a few titanium refineries, a few major factories, maybe even rare earths, let them become a major global supplier, reopen the tourist trade. Just bypass the U.S. DMZ stalemate.

They're an industrialized country, I think that a big part of their marginalization comes from being marginalized for so long. And also that South Korea and the USA military industry benefit from not being unified. They don't need to be unified, and that shouldn't be a goal. If it happens inthefuture, okay, but waiting for the USA to disengage won't happen.

Jordan is a terrific template for what could happen there is everyone involved can just ignore the elephant in the room for a decade or so.

There is the theory floating around that the folks up in NK are too brainwashed to join the rest of the world.  Personally I would offer post war Japan and post 'dinner with the missionaries and their wives' Hawaii as contretemps, but how do you address the brainwashed theory?

1 hour ago, Amati said:
6 hours ago, Uncooperative Tom said:

South Korea.....

Yeah, I'm not ready to call that one yet. Nation building should result in an independent nation that's able to take care of itself.

That police action hasn't officially ended and our troops are still there. It's an expensive ongoing project. It does look more likely to have a positive outcome than any example you can name that actually happened during my lifetime. So it might or might not turn out to be a fragment of the old string.

2 hours ago, mikewof said:

This would be the obvious path. The problem has always lay squarely with the 3 Kim's who are revered as Gods. They have zero interest in changing the status quo. They get rich and are treated as deities. The alternative has always been distasteful to them, understandably.

2 hours ago, Amati said:

There is the theory floating around that the folks up in NK are too brainwashed to join the rest of the world.  Personally I would offer post war Japan and post 'dinner with the missionaries and their wives' Hawaii as contretemps, but how do you address the brainwashed theory?

Possibly not too brainwashed to ever join the rest of the world, but, like WW2 Japan, unwilling to end the war. It was incomprehensible to them, as with the Norks, I believe. The Japanese were brainwashed in a similar fashion. 

As far as how to end the war goes, cut the head off the snake, surgically. 

48 minutes ago, Chum said:

This would be the obvious path. The problem has always lay squarely with the 3 Kim's who are revered as Gods. They have zero interest in changing the status quo. They get rich and are treated as deities. The alternative has always been distasteful to them, understandably.

Yeah, it's like asking James Bond if he wants to give up his license to kill and become celibate.

But the people of North Korea are changing fast, part of the power of Little Kim is that he recognized that...

https://mobile.nytimes.com/2017/04/30/world/asia/north-korea-economy-marketplace.html?referer=

I think that we'll see a major reorganization there in our lifetimes.

Also, unification is something both north and south actually want. Their families have been separated for 2 generations now, it's very sad. Put yourself in their shoes before saying they don't need unification.

30 minutes ago, Legion of Modernrate Jack said:

Total Nuke Warfare & wipeout, we are told the NORKS are brianwashed, but spurred on by your own curious goverment testing atomic fallout, on citizens in towns during the 50-60s, the belief that the buttons MUST be pushed at some stage, is what separates the global village from the likes of those who do elect button happy leaders, or in the NORKS case have them thrust upon them.

I was one of the kids enjoying the radioactive rain of the 50's and 60's (and have the thyroidectomy that goes along with that), and the best the powers be could tell us was that the The Genie was out of the bottle.  

Lovely!